Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just got this:

Breedlove Studio C250/EO Engelmann Spruce top, Ovankol Back and Sides. Plays like a dream, sounds like one too. Sounds phenomenal plugged in as well.
I didn't know Breedlove uses ovankol! That's a fantastic wood. I have a Taylor with that and it's just a dream to play. Nice guitar, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

The adventures of the Roland SH-2000

So I brought this home for $50, plugged it in and started playing it. I soon found out that the keys were hosed up as each time I pressed a key it would trigger itself multiple time, rendering the instrument almost unplayable.

Time to open up this bitch! For $50, this keyboard can go gently caress itself if I break it.

What an amazing piece of engineering. There are wires and of multiple colours. Red, blue, black. These guys knew what they were doing! Plus, a brown PCB instantly means top technology and reliability.

So what's wrong with these notes?

Well, the inside of the keybaord was covered in a strange orange honey-like goo. So I removed each note one by one. This process included: Removing the spring, cleaning the rubber contact and the note, cleaning the aftertouch board and the tissues beneath the note, putting back the note and reattach it with the spring.

This whole process took me around 2 hours and a half.

I plugged the keyboard back in and good news: The keyboard is now playable! Bad news: I've broken the contact of the second C#. I open it back again and try to repair it to no avail, although it works a bit better, I just have to press it harder.

Ensue a couple more hours of putting a nice reverb on it and playing around with the sounds. This is the (very) poor's man Yamaha CS80. You can play surprisingly moving lines with this. I now understand why CS's are so much sought after. I now want one too.

Now I've tried to record with it, but it is strangely out of tune in some octaves. When opening it, I noticed two tuning pots on one of the board. I guess I'll try to mess with that soon.

Bonus pic: Roland sure knew what 2000s would look like! (Notice the broken switch labelled "Tuba", which doesn't sound very much like a tuba. Nice try though!)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Carbohydrates posted:

It's not my fault you want things!

Anyway, the R8 actually came yesterday. This is what came today, the Christmas present for my buddy. Looks a lot better than the eBay pics showed and all the electronics work fine, so that's cool. The pickguard shrunk, though, and I could only get 4 screws in it. That's pretty minor so whatever.

Yes, those are flatwounds. It's the only set of strings I had that were high enough gauge to fit the ridiculous nut on this thing- definitely need to replace that. And don't you criticize me about trimming my strings, I intend to save these things. Good flatwounds aren't cheap.
          :aaa:
         <|>
:gizz:
           /\

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 10, 2008

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Been needing a dedicated MIDI-keyboard. Used Creative Prodikeys before which were great for EDM, but I now have a laptop for producing and using the Prodikeys is not an option anymore.
Was thinking of getting an M-Audio Axiom 49, but I figured that my budget couldn't justify it.
Here's what I got instead:

Click here for the full 760x383 image.

M-Audio Oxygen 49!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

SteelWav posted:

Now I've tried to record with it, but it is strangely out of tune in some octaves. When opening it, I noticed two tuning pots on one of the board. I guess I'll try to mess with that soon.

Early analog synth. That thing would probably go out of tune in the middle of a gig even if you tuned it right before. So yeah, I'd get used to that part :)

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I wonder if people ever bother modding those to auto-tune themselves.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

I didn't know Breedlove uses ovankol! That's a fantastic wood. I have a Taylor with that and it's just a dream to play. Nice guitar, man.

Yeah, apparently it's a new thing. I went in looking for a c25/SR (concert body, cutaway, sitka spruce and rosewood) but apparently they revamped their whole line.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Run Dodo Run posted:

Early analog synth. That thing would probably go out of tune in the middle of a gig even if you tuned it right before. So yeah, I'd get used to that part :)

I don't mind, really. The synth wouldn't be what it is if it didn't get out of tune constantly. IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CHARACTER, MAN.
But I just found a service manual so I hope I'll be able to get it from way out of tune, to somewhat accurate.

quote:

I wonder if people ever bother modding those to auto-tune themselves.

This would be a waste of time, YOU'D LOSE THE CHARACTER WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT. Also, Melodyne.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I meant like a "tune-up" button if the thing start sounding bad but obviously that would SUCK TONE and removing INTERESTING DISSONANCE

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Guitar Rig 3 and Rig Kontrol 3 are awesome! Unless you have a 64-bit OS, in which case they don't work. I use Vista Business 64-bit.

Luckily, I foresaw the poo poo out of this happening, and installed a bootable XP Pro 32-bit partition when I put this computer together last month. Still, it's hosed up because Native Instruments in the middle of 2007 promised that they would have 64-bit drivers by "Quarter 1 2008." That's long gone, assholes, why can't you responsibly maintain your $500 software/hardware package? Goddamn.

It's hardly a perfect solution, since in XP-32 my 8gb of RAM becomes 3.25GB of RAM and I can't benefit from the better quad-processor management of Vista64. I am going to have to buy an AB/XY box so that I can switch between my sound card's output and the Rig Kontrol 3's output, I'm already getting sick of plugging and unplugging my monitor's audio cables when I switch OSes. I do everything but audio in Vista-64, and since Rig Kontrol 3 drivers just plain won't install there, I have to constantly switch between it and my HT Omega Claro+. To be fair, in the end, the AB/XY box is the best solution available, since the HT Omega Claro+ has a much better featureset for everyday computing applications and its characteristics as a source frankly smoke the Rig Kontrol 3. The Rig Kontrol 3 dominates as an audio interface for recording guitar, naturally, and has blisteringly fast ASIO (like, instantaneous if your computer can keep up), but it wouldn't be a good choice for gaming or home theater stuff.

Anyway, that's my big gripe. Before you get all sad-face about Guitar Rig 3 and start looking at Amplitube and StompIO or whatever, let me just say that despite the big pain in the rear end that I've endured, it was all completely worth it because Guitar Rig 3 with Rig Kontrol 3 is about ten times more awesome than Guitar Rig 3 alone. From better level matching to the majestic low latency, the input options are great. Controlling Guitar Rig 3 is a breeze with it, and having the control interface and expression pedal has definitely given me an education as to the real capabilities of Guitar Rig 3. It's just not the same without the interface, no bones about it. The pedal is very high resolution but very comfortable to use, and it tracks and automates flawlessly. All the switches are totally configurable. It's very, very intuitive to use, and I've had no problem creating patches that smoothly take advantage of the Rig Kontrol 3 unit's functions, even though I've only used it for a few hours now.

I was already a big fan of Guitar Rig 3, but this has sold me on the whole package in a way that just using the software hadn't. Before, I thought I'd get Guitar Rig 3 and also ReValver MkIII, and just use Guitar Rig 3 for the effects. Now, with access to things like a boost before the amp that you can turn on and off, parameter control at the footboard, etc., I'm thinking I'll probably be fine with just Guitar Rig 3. A big part of that is that it was difficult to properly adjust the input level of my guitar before getting the Rig Kontrol 3 interface, but I also appreciate the unit's high quality converters (I hadn't realized how much aliasing I was just putting up with before).

I'm rambling at this point so I'll cut it off. I tried to record some clips, but I encoded them in .ogg and Tindeck only lets you upload mp3s. Whoops. I'll get back to you with 'em tomorrow. This thing smokes.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

the wizards beard posted:

I meant like a "tune-up" button if the thing start sounding bad but obviously that would SUCK TONE and removing INTERESTING DISSONANCE

There's already a pitch tuner made for this on the board, but right now I have to set it at the lowest point to have it sound somewhat near the real note, and it still sounds too high in the lower octaves. Of course, I should stop nitpicking and start composing in ALPHA BETA GAMMA INTONATION and various EXCITING EXOTIC TUNINGS.

valve
Sep 29, 2007
That's well Jackson
Finally got an MBox2... it's a bit of a stopgap until i can afford a 002, but for now it will suffice :) Apologies for the disgusting tape that's covering the cracks on the mackbook.

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Finally postin' mine and goon Guzwar's basement jamming rig.

New: Boss pedal board, GE7 equalizer, DD7 delay. Also pictured are an old BF2 flanger, Metal Zone, and 105Q bass wah.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Peavey JSX head into an Avatar Custom 2x12 (GT75 + CL80 speakers, closed back)

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

The unsung hero of the new purchases: an adjustable and portable multi-guitar stand. Also visible from left to right: lefty Jackson DK2 with an EMG81 + single coil set (old eBay find), decade-old lefty Squire Strat (Open C tuning), my new-ish Carvin 727, my first-gen PRS Santana SE (Open C tuning), and my 6-string Brice bass.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

Next up: an overdrive pedal, and more guitar cables so that I can run the delay and flanger in the effects loop like God intended.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

It came!! (part 2)

Pro Tone Monster Fuzz

Holy poo poo, it's a monster alright. MASSIVE fuzz. More fuzz on tap than the Boss Hyper Metal, or the Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz, by a wide margin. Thick, greasy fuzz textures when you dime the knob and it starts spitting lit lard - it becomes gated and sputtery, trippy as hell, keeping its huge bottom end OR getting buzz-saw sharp depending on where you've got the fuzz knob. Towards the lowest part of its Fuzz knob's range of gain, you get a traditional, NYC Big Muff kind of sound. I like the Fuzz at halfway, and the Tone at just before noon - that's a well defined fuzz-stortion tone, massive as can be but not as unpredictable as the highest end of its range of gain. It's based on the Big Muff, but man, it's WAY beyond the Big Muff in its capabilities. The Big Muff is a toy compared to the heat this thing's packing. With the Fuzz knob maxed, it's like it's straining at the chain, and you can tell the chain's not going to hold for long. Awesome.

And, belatedly, the Charvel, though the metallic burgundy color just looks black here... Get it in some light and you can see how it shines, but whatever:

And a family pic:

I spent about four hours this morning with Guitar Rig 3 and Rig Kontrol, and I'm convinced that its speaker simulator is a lot more powerful than I used to believe. It takes a lot of working with compared to ReValver MkIII's impulse responses, but the end result can be extremely convincing. It takes me about an hour to finalize a patch, but I'm a real tweaker the first time I set up a rig (physical or digital) - it'd be possible to do the same work in less time if you were more of a plug-and-play mindset. Still, I am very impressed at the sound quality of this program. I had originally thought to buy it for its effects and the Rig Kontrol 3 interface, and buy ReValver MkIII for its amp models and impulse response convolution. However, I'm having to rethink my whole plan, because it's looking more and more like Guitar Rig 3 might just cover all my needs. The difference between working without Rig Kontrol 3 and working with it is immense.

Also, Guitar Rig 3's wahs are awesome, and its Whammy is perfect. Well, ALL its effects are pretty much spot on, actually. Well worth it just for them alone as a post-processing tool, though I've come to think of that as wasting its capabilities.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 11, 2008

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy

Agreed posted:

Guitar Rig 3 and Rig Kontrol 3 are awesome! Unless you have a 64-bit OS, in which case they don't work. I use Vista Business 64-bit.

Luckily, I foresaw the poo poo out of this happening, and installed a bootable XP Pro 32-bit partition when I put this computer together last month. Still, it's hosed up because Native Instruments in the middle of 2007 promised that they would have 64-bit drivers by "Quarter 1 2008." That's long gone, assholes, why can't you responsibly maintain your $500 software/hardware package? Goddamn.

It's hardly a perfect solution, since in XP-32 my 8gb of RAM becomes 3.25GB of RAM and I can't benefit from the better quad-processor management of Vista64. I am going to have to buy an AB/XY box so that I can switch between my sound card's output and the Rig Kontrol 3's output, I'm already getting sick of plugging and unplugging my monitor's audio cables when I switch OSes. I do everything but audio in Vista-64, and since Rig Kontrol 3 drivers just plain won't install there, I have to constantly switch between it and my HT Omega Claro+. To be fair, in the end, the AB/XY box is the best solution available, since the HT Omega Claro+ has a much better featureset for everyday computing applications and its characteristics as a source frankly smoke the Rig Kontrol 3. The Rig Kontrol 3 dominates as an audio interface for recording guitar, naturally, and has blisteringly fast ASIO (like, instantaneous if your computer can keep up), but it wouldn't be a good choice for gaming or home theater stuff.

Anyway, that's my big gripe. Before you get all sad-face about Guitar Rig 3 and start looking at Amplitube and StompIO or whatever, let me just say that despite the big pain in the rear end that I've endured, it was all completely worth it because Guitar Rig 3 with Rig Kontrol 3 is about ten times more awesome than Guitar Rig 3 alone. From better level matching to the majestic low latency, the input options are great. Controlling Guitar Rig 3 is a breeze with it, and having the control interface and expression pedal has definitely given me an education as to the real capabilities of Guitar Rig 3. It's just not the same without the interface, no bones about it. The pedal is very high resolution but very comfortable to use, and it tracks and automates flawlessly. All the switches are totally configurable. It's very, very intuitive to use, and I've had no problem creating patches that smoothly take advantage of the Rig Kontrol 3 unit's functions, even though I've only used it for a few hours now.

I was already a big fan of Guitar Rig 3, but this has sold me on the whole package in a way that just using the software hadn't. Before, I thought I'd get Guitar Rig 3 and also ReValver MkIII, and just use Guitar Rig 3 for the effects. Now, with access to things like a boost before the amp that you can turn on and off, parameter control at the footboard, etc., I'm thinking I'll probably be fine with just Guitar Rig 3. A big part of that is that it was difficult to properly adjust the input level of my guitar before getting the Rig Kontrol 3 interface, but I also appreciate the unit's high quality converters (I hadn't realized how much aliasing I was just putting up with before).

I'm rambling at this point so I'll cut it off. I tried to record some clips, but I encoded them in .ogg and Tindeck only lets you upload mp3s. Whoops. I'll get back to you with 'em tomorrow. This thing smokes.

I'm thinking of building a new PC for my audio noodling. I'm wondering what sort of hardware you'd recommend right now? Are laptops fast enough yet to run VSTs without too much audio lag and cpu spiking? Should I stick with a desktop? Core 2 Duo? How much RAM?

If you had 2 grand to build a new computer, what would you put in it?

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

QuantumKat posted:

I'm thinking of building a new PC for my audio noodling. I'm wondering what sort of hardware you'd recommend right now? Are laptops fast enough yet to run VSTs without too much audio lag and cpu spiking? Should I stick with a desktop? Core 2 Duo? How much RAM?

Laptops are alright CPU wise to run a few VSTs. Your problem there is RAM - if you use sample based instruments, then the lack of RAM will bite you in the rear end. If you're planning on just using it at home, I'd stick with a desktop.

For 2 grand (I'm assuming that's dollars...) you can buy whatever the hell you want, that's more than enough to buy something top of the line. But if you're just using it for audio production, kinda a waste. Buy yourself a decent CPU. A nice Intel Core 2, maybe a quad core, that's up to you. No need to buy a decent graphics card if its just an audio machine, so you'll save a lot of money there. Then just buy a load of RAM if you're planning on using samples. Problem is if you want a lot of RAM you have to use 64bit, which means Vista, which means problems with drivers depending on your audio interface.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Run Dodo Run posted:

Laptops are alright CPU wise to run a few VSTs. Your problem there is RAM - if you use sample based instruments, then the lack of RAM will bite you in the rear end. If you're planning on just using it at home, I'd stick with a desktop.

For 2 grand (I'm assuming that's dollars...) you can buy whatever the hell you want, that's more than enough to buy something top of the line. But if you're just using it for audio production, kinda a waste. Buy yourself a decent CPU. A nice Intel Core 2, maybe a quad core, that's up to you. No need to buy a decent graphics card if its just an audio machine, so you'll save a lot of money there. Then just buy a load of RAM if you're planning on using samples. Problem is if you want a lot of RAM you have to use 64bit, which means Vista, which means problems with drivers depending on your audio interface.

Guitar Rig can also run on a mac, so if you're talking 2 grand you can get a loaded iMac. Leopard can handle up to 4 gigs of ram.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've been thinking recently about getting a Mobius Megatar (www.megatar.com), but I must admit my skepticism towards throwing $1200-$1500 at something that seems to be relatively obscure. Anybody here have any experience with it?

Dr. Diddles
Sep 2, 2008
I'm a mandolin player and I've been at it for just a bit short a year now, and I'm playing a cheap rear end acoustic that I bought of a friend some time ago, however; I'm seeing alot of "non-double" string mandolins on the market and I'm wondering what exactly is the point of this and how does it sound? Just wanna know before I invest some good money into something I know nothing about.

Would a 4 or 5 string Mandolin suite my playing? Or should I stick to an 8 string? I can't seem to find any 4 or 5 strings to try out in my bum-gently caress of a town so hopefully someone can help me out.

I personally have a thing for translating classic rock tunes onto my mandolin (Heartbreaker, Sunshine of Your Love, Stairway) and I've almost got Losing my Religion down pat to tell you a bit about my tastes. (Battle of Evermore coming soon!)

Also, can someone link me up to some good makes of 4/5 string mandolins.

I found a "Mandocaster" online. Solid body, eight string, telecaster style mandolin that looks like it would play rather nice. I'm considering it.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/EWMC-SB.htm

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

QuantumKat posted:

Head on over to the SH/SC stickied Computer Parts Recommendation thread. It's a great resource if you want to build a computer. By the way, if you're putting together a desktop for audio, you can make a great one for around $700. More expensive computers are for gaming. Read the first post and pick price:performance components.

RAM is a concern, of course, but RAM is also cheap as hell. DDR2 800mhz can be had at less than $100 for 4GB, which is the top end of what you can use with a 32-bit OS (and unfortunately, working with audio, you're practically limited to a 32-bit OS thanks to the niche market - or, more accurately, thanks to crappy 64-bit driver support from wonderful companies like Native Instruments). A modern Core 2 Duo in conjunction with a good audio interface makes the question of latency trivial, because the processor is just so fast that you'll be able to comfortably use very low latency settings without any issues provided the audio interface can play ball. For reference, Rig Kontrol 3's latency is so low that I perceive no difference at all between playing into the computer with realtime processing, and plugging into my amp - and that's with High Quality processing enabled at 96khz/24-bit (I don't use higher than that, though it's possible, just because 96khz is enough to virtually eliminate aliasing at guitar frequencies), and no attention paid to limiting how much processing I've got going on.

I do use a quad-core Intel cpu, but its benefits are most noticable in rendering rather than in live processing, and dual-core Intels tend to overclock more easily and so will likely give you better live performance thanks to a higher clock rate per core. For reference, I have my Q9550, which comes stock at 2.8ghz/core, overclocked with air cooling to 3.4ghz/core without exceeding Intel's stock voltage, and it passes Intel Burn Test (the stability benchmark) 100%. And the dual-core CPUs overclock even better, supposedly. You might be thinking "oh no, I don't want to overclock, that is quite scary!" but it's basically free performance, and with modern components being pretty aggressively underbinned, you stand a good chance of getting a totally stable, faster processor for no more money. Anyway, that's all nuts and bolts stuff - for now, head over to SH/SC and check out that thread.

If you want to go the laptop route, that's not off the table, of course, but you need to be aware that you're going to pay a lot more for the same or lower level of performance. Of course, that's just the trade-off for portability. The biggest issue you'll have using a laptop to work with audio isn't CPU or RAM, these days; for only $1100 or so you can get a respectably fast Core 2 Duo based laptop with 3 or 4 gigs of RAM. The big issue is the hard drive speed. Laptop HDDs are generally 5200RPM, and you will likely be frustrated by that slow speed when you're recording audio to the hard drive or streaming it from the hard drive. Having a big bunch of RAM helps, but if you're working with enough tracks, samples, etc., the slowdown will become an issue. If you're really intent on shooting for the $2000 figure, then that may not be a problem since you're in the budget range where you can get higher tier components in your laptop, but be advised that a $2000 laptop will not have any performance advantage over a $700-$800 desktop, generally speaking.

I can highly recommend the Rig Kontrol 3 unit if you're using a 32-bit OS and you want an audio interface optimized for instruments (it works equally well with other programs, like ReValver MkIII and Amplitube, though that takes some setup compared to Guitar Rig 3 which just sees it automatically and works with it without complaint). There are much better choices out there if you'll be doing things with other audio sources, though.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Angry Justin posted:

Guitar Rig can also run on a mac, so if you're talking 2 grand you can get a loaded iMac. Leopard can handle up to 4 gigs of ram.

Leopard can handle 16 exabytes of RAM.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Sewer Adventure posted:

Leopard can handle 16 exabytes of RAM.

I stand corrected, although I was pretty sure that the mac pro was the only system that could pull that off.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
i would just get a macbook or MBP with 4gb of RAM and be done with it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I have nothing at all against macs, though I work on a PC. Audio is better addressed at the OS level in macs, no doubt about that - you can easily create a comfortably low latency aggregate device and use Rig Kontrol 3 as your input and something else as your output, if you wanted to, a trick Windows can't pull without software workarounds (that can be buggy and lag-prone). Anyone with a mac care to comment on whether the lack of 64-bit drivers is going to be an issue with mac OSes?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Well after learning that my toshiba laptop that I've so vigorously defended against MACs is not supported by digidesign (at least AMD turion processors aren't), I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a used intel MBP for about $1,200. I've tried two different brands (belkin and SIIG) of expresscard TI chipset firewire interfaces with the hopes that they'd perform better than the stock 1394, and I can't even get protools or live to boot with the MX002 connected via either expresscard.

That combined with the CPU spikes when using my virus snow, and I just can't afford to troubleshoot these hardware issues. I'm assuming that since there are only 3 different macbook's released every six months or so, that they must be much more thoroughly tested than the hundreds of different PC based laptops.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Agreed posted:

I have nothing at all against macs, though I work on a PC. Audio is better addressed at the OS level in macs, no doubt about that - you can easily create a comfortably low latency aggregate device and use Rig Kontrol 3 as your input and something else as your output, if you wanted to, a trick Windows can't pull without software workarounds (that can be buggy and lag-prone). Anyone with a mac care to comment on whether the lack of 64-bit drivers is going to be an issue with mac OSes?

I thought the majority of drivers are Apple made, especially things like MIDI usually work straight out of the box. Can you think of something that would be specifically wrong with the 64-bit implementation? Asides from the fact that audio companies are lazy and don't update to 64-bit anyway.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

My MBP has 2 gigs of ram and runs Logic flawlessly

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
It's not really the hardware (although simplifying the hardware and having the machines and OS made by the same people helps,) CoreAudio is what separates Macs from PC's in the audio realm.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

My MBP has 2 gigs of ram and runs Logic flawlessly

My 1.5 gig G5 runs Logic well enough when everything is loaded, upgrading to 3 gigs soon though.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

To be clear though, it's great that you can run logic fine with your setup, but there is a great difference in horsepower between running a DAW for music production vs using something like ableton live in a live performance setting where you are manipulating and looping 16 channels of audio I/O while triggering samples with drumpads and playing multiple hybrid soft/hard synths with external DSP units running effects on audio from both your mic channels and your drums/synths.

All at the lowest buffer settings to guarantee the lowest latency possible, and in a scenario where you can't have any dropouts at all, ever.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

RivensBitch posted:

All at the lowest buffer settings to guarantee the lowest latency possible, and in a scenario where you can't have any dropouts at all, ever.

Since you're looking into MacBooks there's some Apple laptop announcement tomorrow, likely a new aluminum design and/or a sub-800 laptop. More importantly it'll be a good time to buy a refurbished Macbook too.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

definately keeping an eye on ebay, and my empty wallet... :( Probably have to unload some gear to make it happen either way.

STACK OVERFLOW
Apr 17, 2007

... PWND!
Got this from my buddy at a good price a couple days ago:

First 5-string and I love it. :D

Also, not new (had it since February), but I love the sound of the acoustic bass:

crikey IRL
Aug 15, 2004

Both to replace my worn out ones I bought 8 years ago:

Gonna need some power!

I like the univibe sound, this replicates pretty drat good!

a random delay pedal, what the hell:

everyone loves muff:

plus! i had the bridge pickup in my fender custom shop strat replaced. it crapped out and not even the fender techs could ID what pickups were in it, I was going to get some '69's for it but for some reason got a seymour duncan single humbucker. im glad i did. it adds quite a lot of flexibility, if that makes sense, to my tone. i'll take pics tomorrow (broke my USB hub the other day :( )''apparently i got a sweet deal 10 years ago ( i was 14) on this custom strat, the guy at the store let me have it for $1200 because he could tell i would really really enjoy it (and i have), it was worth about $3k at the time apparently but the ex-owner never played it :shobon:

oh yeah, i saw the in rainbows DVD and decided i needed an ebow... ive used it for a total of about 5 minutes, im sure some day i will unlock its glory

yeah i finally got a real job, and now all the poo poo i wanted as a kid seems not so pricey :)

next up is a back up guitar for live gigs, cant decide if i just want a basic strat or some sort of semihollow body.

sorry to keep editing, but in the last 5 years i have spent $0 on gear... its just sweet to at last be able to buy what i want!

crikey IRL fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 14, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Buy me something Mr Moneypockets.

Also everyone needs a Big Muff.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zakalwe posted:

Buy me something Mr Moneypockets.

Also everyone needs a Big Muff.

Big Muff is okay... but Pro Tone Monster fuzz starts at Big Muff and ends in a parallel universe where everything is a negative of itself and guitars eat people. :q:

(I want a Little Big Muff.)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, I like the sound of the LBM better myself. And the Double-Muff is awesome if you can keep it under control.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You wore out a 57 and 58 in 8 years??? They're not construction tools you know.

crikey IRL
Aug 15, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

You wore out a 57 and 58 in 8 years??? They're not construction tools you know.

i moved about 5 times during that period as well, that combined with an extended stay in a 90% humidity/90 degree garage about did them in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawl
Aug 4, 2005
Pornographic Priestess?

RivensBitch posted:

That combined with the CPU spikes when using my virus snow, and I just can't afford to troubleshoot these hardware issues. I'm assuming that since there are only 3 different macbook's released every six months or so, that they must be much more thoroughly tested than the hundreds of different PC based laptops.

I think it'd be worth pointing out even though apple is pretty great (i love my macbook) you still might bump into pretty serious problems. For example early Leopard releases (as in retail ones) had a pretty serious bug involving audio interfaces and sound just not working, it's fixed now but there were a lot of angry people for a good 2 months.