Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Goldaline, that is amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
Ahaha, I have to keep working whether I like it or not, it definately has to be complete by the end of the semester. And it looks like I'll finish the last panel tonight.

If I don't sleep.

Yay Crafts major.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

I was wondering if you all could help me out with a question. I love knitting, especially with whatever new yarn I can get my hands on. The problem is that in two years, I'll be moving up north to live with my boyfriend while he finishes his degree. We'll not only be isolated, we'll be on a budget. Any yarn I use will be limited to what's avalible at Walmart.

So, which of the widely avalible brands is the best? I have had good result with Lion Brand's Homespun before, but other than that, I've been knitting with whatever people give me or the occasional splurge on fancier stuff.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Wheats posted:

I was wondering if you all could help me out with a question. I love knitting, especially with whatever new yarn I can get my hands on. The problem is that in two years, I'll be moving up north to live with my boyfriend while he finishes his degree. We'll not only be isolated, we'll be on a budget. Any yarn I use will be limited to what's avalible at Walmart.

So, which of the widely avalible brands is the best? I have had good result with Lion Brand's Homespun before, but other than that, I've been knitting with whatever people give me or the occasional splurge on fancier stuff.

Will you have access to the internet, and yarn-buying online? Knitpicks.com and Elann.com both have pretty good prices for natural fibers. I particularly like Elann's own brands of yarns. Here's a listing: http://elann.com/PRODUCTLIST.ASP?Company=elann&PRODUCTTYPE=5&findyarnsb.x=28&findyarnsb.y=14&findyarnsb=submit

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Kalista posted:

Will you have access to the internet, and yarn-buying online? Knitpicks.com and Elann.com both have pretty good prices for natural fibers. I particularly like Elann's own brands of yarns. Here's a listing: http://elann.com/PRODUCTLIST.ASP?Company=elann&PRODUCTTYPE=5&findyarnsb.x=28&findyarnsb.y=14&findyarnsb=submit

Whoa, that's way less expensive than I expected. My biggest issue with buying online would be cost, but maybe it won't be such a problem. Thank you so much!

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Wheats posted:

Whoa, that's way less expensive than I expected. My biggest issue with buying online would be cost, but maybe it won't be such a problem. Thank you so much!

Yeah, usually I am very wary of buying yarn online (how can you tell it is nice without touching!?!) but I have had excellent luck with knitpicks. the yarn is quite nice, and the price is certainly right!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I've knitted this scarf for a swap in the Newer Knitters group on Ravelry:

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Midnight Sun posted:

I've knitted this scarf for a swap in the Newer Knitters group on Ravelry:

That looks great! What yarn did you use? I've nearly finished mine(hopefully I'll get it done before Christmas) but I don't think blocking will do anything to make the design stand out any better.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Windy posted:

That looks great! What yarn did you use? I've nearly finished mine(hopefully I'll get it done before Christmas) but I don't think blocking will do anything to make the design stand out any better.
I've used Kauni Effektgarn, it's 100% wool. It looks a lot better after blocking, the drop stitches were very loose and undefined before.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah, that's the problem I'm having with it(aside from actually sitting down to knit). I'm giving the current wip as a gift to someone who wanted it, and I would like to make one for myself if I can ever find a yarn I'm happy with.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Windy posted:

Yeah, that's the problem I'm having with it(aside from actually sitting down to knit). I'm giving the current wip as a gift to someone who wanted it, and I would like to make one for myself if I can ever find a yarn I'm happy with.
I would have liked to have a more variegated yarn with more color shifts, but I guess it turned out ok after all. :)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I finished my first knitted paper crane!

The image isn't great, but it's the best I can do until I find my 'real' camera. It came out a bit lopsided, but even when I blocked it out it refused to straighten out all of the way. I'm afraid everything I make is cursed to come out demented.

Now to make 19 more before Christmas! :downs:

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Here's a lace money-shot:

Before:

and After:

I started this project in July, spinning 3 ounces of merino/mohair batts bought from Spunky Eclectic, and ended up with 900 yards of 2-ply lace weight yarn. I started knitting in August, the pattern is Anne Hanson's Japanese Feather Stole (http://www.knitspot.com/knitting_pattern/japanese-feather-stole-or-scarf-p-12.html). I widened the pattern by one repeat since my yarn was lighter weight and I was using smaller needles than the pattern called for. I also did a lot of extra pattern repeats lengthwise, until I reached 60" in length unblocked. I cast off on Saturday night with a small bit of yarn leftover, and blocked it last night. Length is just about 72".

On Wednesday, it's being donated as an item in a charity silent auction. Someone better bid more than :20bux: for it!

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

That's really pretty. Reminds me a lot of Veronik Avery's Lace Ribbon scarf, which I started but will probably never finish.

I've entered my first swap, and I'm really excited about it. Just having trouble thinking of something for the small/gift part, but I have 2 months to come up with something :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Kalista, that is awesome! :)

I love blocking lace, it's so fun when the pattern emerges.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!

My first socks! Rowan Lacy Bed Socks.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Pretty socks, Octopi! :)

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

Those are some adorable socks!

I started knitting about three years ago, but I've only completed one scarf that evolved from 25 stitches to 37, with holes galore and other fun stuff. I started on another, but I never really finished it, but I've started on a third one for an exchange among friends and it's turning out pretty good so far, just that some of the stitches are loose. No pictures, I'll have to dig up a camera to do so, and the first scarf was buried with my grandpa. I tried to teach myself from Lion Brand's website but it was way too confusing for me, and then I found out that my mom and grandma knitted to my surprise, mainly because I've never seen them knit anything in front of me. :shobon: Thing is, both of them are Chinese and don't know the english terms for knitting, so I have to show them examples of what I'm trying to achieve, and it can get kind of confusing sometime. I still haven't learned how to purl.

I've been thinking of getting more needles since all I have are two really long size 8 needles and a pair of size 16, and I prefer knitting with metal. Is Susan Bates any good? What's the difference between that and acrylic?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Now that youtube has come along, it's actually really easy to learn new stuff. When I was in middle school, I tried to teach myself from a book, which obviously didn't end well. Now if there's a technique I don't know, I google it or youtube it and I'm watching a video within seconds -- it's way easier.

Needle choice is all about what you're happy with. Some people say stitches stick too much on bamboo; other people think stitches slide too much on metal. Whatever works for you is best (my vote is bamboo). If you're just starting out but you're sure this is something you'll want to do, you can buy a kit of all different sizes, which should be cheaper than buying every pair you'll need separately.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
Don't feel bad about purling. It seems to be trickier for people for some reason. I didn't realize I was doing it wrong for about, oh, five years. In fact, I only realized it because of the earlier conversation in this thread about people having the same revelations. D'oh!

Thanks for the compliments!

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Splash Attack posted:

I tried to teach myself from Lion Brand's website but it was way too confusing for me, and then I found out that my mom and grandma knitted to my surprise, mainly because I've never seen them knit anything in front of me. :shobon: Thing is, both of them are Chinese and don't know the english terms for knitting, so I have to show them examples of what I'm trying to achieve, and it can get kind of confusing sometime. I still haven't learned how to purl.

Knittinghelp.com has been mentioned a few times in this thread, but it's really great if you need a small refresher on a technique or something. I don't actually know anyone who knits, so I ended up learning almost entirely from that site.

Also, is anyone else really bad about blocking things? I finally got around to blocking a scarf that I had finished knitting a little under a year ago, I've got another finished scarf that's waiting until Friday (when the ironing board won't be in use), and I recently finished a sweater that I know will be ages until I get to. I know I should block my things, but I just don't wanna :(

please validate my bad blocking habits

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I don't block unless it's lace. What I do instead is iron the FO with a moist cloth between the iron and the FO, or I just don't do anything. (Felting eliminates the need for blocking altogether, very cool. ;))

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Z Is Overrated posted:

Also, is anyone else really bad about blocking things? I finally got around to blocking a scarf that I had finished knitting a little under a year ago, I've got another finished scarf that's waiting until Friday (when the ironing board won't be in use), and I recently finished a sweater that I know will be ages until I get to. I know I should block my things, but I just don't wanna :(

I hate blocking so, so much. It's not fun at all, and I never have enough space or time to let things dry. Plus I'm a complete retard when it comes to pinning the item to the towel; it all looks great just after I've pinned it, but I come back an hour later and it's completely messed up.
I hate ironing too and I don't even have a decent ironing board, so that method doesn't work for me either.

It's a shame, because I know that all of my knitted items have come out looking much nicer after I block them.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Z Is Overrated posted:

I've been knitting for four years, and I only just blocked something yesterday (granted, I'm mostly all into socks and other small things, which don't need blocking as much) and that was only because it is lace and really really needs to be blocked.

Even so, I need to re-block it because I was impatient and unpinned it before it was %100 dry :(

I'm also really bad at weaving in my ends, though that is a pretty neccesary step. I generally wait til I have like three or four things that need weaving and do it all in one horrible go.

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

elbow posted:

Plus I'm a complete retard when it comes to pinning the item to the towel; it all looks great just after I've pinned it, but I come back an

It's a shame, because I know that all of my knitted items have come out looking much nicer after I block them.

Protip: buy some interlocking foam mat squares. I bought mine at Target in the back to school section. I have also seen them in the kids section in the form of a hopscotch mat. You can put them together in various configurations, whether to block a long scarf or a sweater. They stack to store easily. Best of all, they don't hold onto the water as much as a towel, so stuff dries much faster. I even aim a fan at my item to speed up the process. I generally can block a scarf in the evening and have it ready to go by morning.

Mine is solid, but along the idea of this: Foam Play Mat

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Bad Mitten posted:

Protip: buy some interlocking foam mat squares. I bought mine at Target in the back to school section. I have also seen them in the kids section in the form of a hopscotch mat. You can put them together in various configurations, whether to block a long scarf or a sweater. They stack to store easily. Best of all, they don't hold onto the water as much as a towel, so stuff dries much faster. I even aim a fan at my item to speed up the process. I generally can block a scarf in the evening and have it ready to go by morning.

Thanks, I've seen this recommended before. I'll have to have a look when I next get paid, faster drying and no towels to wash and dry sound like a good deal :)
Any UK goonettes know where I might find this?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Bad Mitten posted:

ooo good idea! I should pick up some of these guys--blocking on a towel on your mattress during fall in Portland is just a recipe for sadness and mildew. I can't even get my drat dishes to dry in a day, much less a woolen item!

Party Pangolin
Dec 29, 2004
If you added the number of girls I've had sex with and will have sex with, it will be zero. So I will continue to suck dicks, okay?
After seeing TauntTheOctopi's gorgeous lacey socks, I've been inspired to post the socks I've done in the past 18 months, starting from the earliest:

Cookie A.'s Millicent pattern:

Click here for the full 641x890 image.

Spring Forward pattern from Knitty, made with a mildly itchy alpaca blend yarn:

Click here for the full 773x1564 image.

Bastille Day pattern from Etsy:

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Breeze pattern from Knitty:

Click here for the full 1208x1133 image.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

TheRustyMachete posted:

After seeing TauntTheOctopi's gorgeous lacey socks, I've been inspired to post the socks I've done in the past 18 months, starting from the earliest:

Cookie A.'s Millicent pattern:

Click here for the full 641x890 image.

I really like these. :)

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I made a scarf:

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
Ooooh. I like all those socks, especially the last two. I might have to make Breeze for myself. I finally get the appeal of socks.

I like your scarf too, Midnight Sun!

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

elbow posted:

Thanks, I've seen this recommended before. I'll have to have a look when I next get paid, faster drying and no towels to wash and dry sound like a good deal :)
Any UK goonettes know where I might find this?

The Early Learning Centre :)

http://www.viamichelin.com/b2b2c/gbr/dyn/controller/dlPoiAccess;jsessionid=N0mvOkuKeOQa-DWg8HdIqrC?idx=0&id=111&productId=92098&return_url=
Nearest one in Leeds

Mofette fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 29, 2008

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Awesome, thanks :)

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
I've been busy since we last spoke. I'm back in my element with toys, although I'm not really happy at the way he turned out.

Pasha from Knitty.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Awww, what a cute penguin! :3:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Thanks for the links to knittinghelp.com. They did, indeed help with my knitting.

I've known how to crochet for years and I've always wanted to try knitting, but I've been intimidated by it. I don't know why, but it always seemed harder to me. Last night a friend "taught" me how to knit, but she didn't remember how to cast on or purl or really do anything but the knit stitch, so I grabbed a kid's knitting book from the library and have been teaching myself those things today. These videos are extremely helpful because I can really confirm that I'm doing it properly, whereas with the books I was just kind of assuming that I was doing it right.

Additionally, I'm surprised to find that the natural way that I worked out how to hold things and such is the Continental method and not the English. I read this whole thread seeing you guys talk about this Continental method which sounded all crazy and weird and then discovered that it's basically what I've been doing (I hold the yarn in my left, but I do use my left index finger to partially loop the yarn onto the needle rather than just "grabbing" the yarn with the needle the way the video shows.)

I'm excited to start a real project, and I've got a ridiculous-looking hat picked out of this kid's knitting book that I'm going to try. More practicing knitting and purling tonight, then learning to cast off, and I guess I'll try to start this hat tomorrow. The only thing getting me down is that compared to crocheting, knittings is insanely slow. I don't know how anyone ever manages to complete larger projects like sweaters.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

You'll get the hang of it eventually, and it's actually possible to knit quite fast!

Good luck with your hat. :)

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

My spaghetti bowl. ;D Opinions please, I knitted it as a fortune cookie fortune holder. The seed stitch is amazingly ridged and makes a great bowl.

Edit: sorry for the bad quality, saving for a new camera.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I've been busy since we last spoke. I'm back in my element with toys, although I'm not really happy at the way he turned out.

Pasha from Knitty.

It looks good, though! I've made a bunch of those and it's hard for me to keep from making the belly look wonky no matter how careful I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

philkop posted:

My spaghetti bowl. ;D Opinions please, I knitted it as a fortune cookie fortune holder. The seed stitch is amazingly ridged and makes a great bowl.

Edit: sorry for the bad quality, saving for a new camera.
So cute! :)