Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

null0ne posted:

Finally got some pictures of my bike.
Aw yeah, suckas.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

Those are such gorgeous bikes...especially in the full fairing setup. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Phy posted:

Are those gigantic intakes there for anything or do they just exist to make it look like a goddamn YF-23?

They don't do anything.

I got a new bike too...

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006
For some reason, I can't see scooters without thinking how fun they'd be to absolutely flog around town.

Unreal Fantasy
Oct 18, 2004

Nerobro posted:

They don't do anything.

I got a new bike too...

where are you from and how much did you pay for that 103?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

null0ne posted:

For some reason, I can't see scooters without thinking how fun they'd be to absolutely flog around town.

Thats pretty much the whole point of their existence.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

null0ne posted:

I bought it because of my time on KDC67's LT2. 9hp is a lot of fun. But it's also 167lbs. This thing is like 70lbs. It has only roughly 2hp now. But it will have much more when I'm done.

Unreal Fantasy posted:

where are you from and how much did you pay for that 103?
I'm from the north side of Chicago, I bought it in Aurora, Il. I paid $50. It's been crashed at least once. I need to buy a new seatpan/seat. And I need new cranks and pedals. Right off the bat I'm getting a tuned pipe. I'd like to bore it out to 70cc.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Nerobro posted:

I bought it because of my time on KDC67's LT2. 9hp is a lot of fun. But it's also 167lbs. This thing is like 70lbs. It has only roughly 2hp now. But it will have much more when I'm done.

I used to sell scooters as a hobby and a way to help a family friend out on the weekend (he ran a scooter shop). Some of the customers would come in asking for crazy stuff. We had one customer that blew the CVT on his 125cc scooter doing 180kph (110 mph) down a hill, another customer that would pop wheelies out of the shop on his bored out 70cc Vespa. Some went the whole mod thing, and loaded up their scooters with crazy amounts of lights, horns and other bits of chrome.

I'm a motorbike nutter, I prefer bikes all the way, but I always had a total blast on scooters. Lighting up the rear wheel, getting wheelies going, and generally cornering so fast and low I once ripped a centre stand off. I just wish more scooter riders would ride them like they own the road, and not do the apologist thing of riding in the gutter. Perfect way to end up dead.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

snail posted:

*scooter stories*
I have a garage full of motorcycles. I like it that way. I'm not giving up my 130mph piles of 2 wheeled death. That said, little, small, slow, bikes are a whole hell of a lot of fun. I like slow, competent, cars for the same reason.

I ride my BICYCLE like I own the road. :-) My moped will be ridden in the lane like the motor vehicle it is.

50cc.nl has 70cc kits for my bike for $72, and a tuned pipe for $60..... Displacement before tuned pipe, and I need to do the math on what the proper pipe will be. But tuned pipes are so pretty........................

And because I didn't say so before. It's a 1978 Peugeot 103 SP. With like 3000 miles on it. Now I know better, I wish I had a SPX

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 10, 2008

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Here's what I find amusing about scooters.

Who rides them? Teenage girls, nerds, and the more experienced riders like many of us here who have enough confidence to go out and have silly fun on them without giving a rats rectum about what other people think.

I've been thinking about adding a scooter to the fleet for a while, something with a decent trunk, to use not only for flogging fun but also for those weekend trips to the Lowes for dinky but needed stuff, nails, whatnot. 20 years ago, you wouldn't have caught me dead on a scooter-I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

varl
Feb 11, 2007
. . .
Ok I have to post about this.

This Wednesday I received a call. This call was concerning a mint condition Honda VTR 1000 SP2 -2005. My dream.

He asked me if I wanted to buy it, but it's a bit on the expensive side. He asked me if I wanted him to hold it for me while I thought it over. I told him "No".

I said "No." because I didn't need to think it over, I bought the drat thing right then and there. No regret and no remorse.

For you know what? It's a loving RC51, and it's one of out the 20 available in this country. And it's now mine. Mine mine mine. I'm going to take it for a testdrive tomorrow. Jesus, I can't believe it!

By the by, does anyone want to buy a Suzuki GSX-R 750 with an 1100R engine fitted? :)
If not I'll build the most insane icebike ever from it with my brother.

I have a perma-grin on my face.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

null0ne posted:

Finally got some pictures of my bike.
Aw yeah, suckas.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

You don't live in New York do you? I saw someone on that bike 2 afternoons ago wheelieing [sp?] down a busy street.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

varl posted:

This Wednesday I received a call. This call was concerning a mint condition Honda VTR 1000 SP2 -2005. My dream.

He asked me if I wanted to buy it, but it's a bit on the expensive side. He asked me if I wanted him to hold it for me while I thought it over. I told him "No".

I said "No." because I didn't need to think it over, I bought the drat thing right then and there. No regret and no remorse.

For you know what? It's a loving RC51, and it's one of out the 20 available in this country. And it's now mine. Mine mine mine. I'm going to take it for a testdrive tomorrow. Jesus, I can't believe it!

By the by, does anyone want to buy a Suzuki GSX-R 750 with an 1100R engine fitted? :)

Oh mannnnnnnn. Congratulations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

varl posted:

Congrats, post loving pics already!

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!
My 1978 Honda Hawk TypeII that I'm always bugging you all with questions about. I can never buy another bike without a kickstarter now, as the battery has been completely dead for over a year and a half and I actually somewhat enjoy kickstarting it like some kind of lame badass.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

greg_graffin posted:

My 1978 Honda Hawk TypeII that I'm always bugging you all with questions about. I can never buy another bike without a kickstarter now, as the battery has been completely dead for over a year and a half and I actually somewhat enjoy kickstarting it like some kind of lame badass.

My buddy did that with his Honda Hawk for a long time, but had some problems. His turn signals barely blunk as there wasn't enough juice for them to do so (they'd turn on and dim briefly, instead), his headlight would dim as he applied his brakes, and eventually the bike randomly died on him. A new battery solved all those issues.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

Uthor posted:

My buddy did that with his Honda Hawk for a long time, but had some problems. His turn signals barely blunk as there wasn't enough juice for them to do so (they'd turn on and dim briefly, instead), his headlight would dim as he applied his brakes, and eventually the bike randomly died on him. A new battery solved all those issues.
I haven't had any problems like that, although I don't ride at night at all b/c my instrument cluster doesn't light up, I have no idea why, and I like to know how fast I'm going.

Also, blunk is an awesome new word.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

greg_graffin posted:

Also, blunk is an awesome new word.

Futurama used it, so it has to be correct, right?

We work nights, so it became a problem for him when running to the store and such. Just keep an eye out for it.

Your bike looks to be in much better shape than his, though.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
1980 Honda CB400T Hawk. My first, picked it up last week, and just got it back from the shop. Under 20,000 km.

greg_graffin
Dec 10, 2004

he died for your sins!!

Chris Knight posted:

1980 Honda CB400T Hawk. My first, picked it up last week, and just got it back from the shop. Under 20,000 km.
Hell yeah. What kind of tires are on there and how are you liking them?

SqueekyD
Dec 1, 2004

Who wants to use my dongbone like a joystick and pretend you're flying an F-14?

Decals and stickers on the fairing have since been removed.

A few weeks ago on the south grade of Palomar Mt.

18,000 miles since February. I'll be trading up to a 600RR soon.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice pics...you need to get out to a trackday if you haven't already :)

huplescat
Jun 8, 2005

Gnomad posted:

Here's what I find amusing about scooters.

Who rides them? Teenage girls, nerds, and the more experienced riders like many of us here who have enough confidence to go out and have silly fun on them without giving a rats rectum about what other people think.

I've been thinking about adding a scooter to the fleet for a while, something with a decent trunk, to use not only for flogging fun but also for those weekend trips to the Lowes for dinky but needed stuff, nails, whatnot. 20 years ago, you wouldn't have caught me dead on a scooter-I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.

I think they're a bit of fun, but not lovely little things like Vespas. I've been been doing a riding course on Honda CT110's for work for the last couple of months and they're heaps of fun. Gutless as hell and you can't lean them far before the footpegs start scraping, but they take a hell of a beating and are extremely easy to ride.

I wouldn't mind one to use as a shopping bike or for local stuff. Definitely wouldn't be without my bike for real riding as well though.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

SqueekyD posted:

A few weeks ago on the south grade of Palomar Mt.

18,000 miles since February. I'll be trading up to a 600RR soon.

Hey, I think that's the same corner I totaled my SV in...Near the top? 18,000 seems like a shitload. I was proud of my 5,000 in about the same timeframe.

SqueekyD
Dec 1, 2004

Z3n posted:

Nice pics...you need to get out to a trackday if you haven't already :)
:D

Hoping to get out to my first @ SOW next month.

Zenaida posted:

Hey, I think that's the same corner I totaled my SV in...Near the top? 18,000 seems like a shitload. I was proud of my 5,000 in about the same timeframe.

Nope. This particular corner is on the 2nd set of hairpins heading up, before the first lookout. It is hard to tell though, a lot of the corners are very similar.

Sorry to hear about your SV. :(

varl
Feb 11, 2007
. . .

Z3n posted:

Congrats, post loving pics already!

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Oh mannnnnnnn. Congratulations.

Sorry, but I had to post about it! I'm going to take pictures tomorrow when I take it out for a spin before winter storage. I'll post pics asap!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SqueekyD posted:

:D

Hoping to get out to my first @ SOW next month.

Good to hear...you've got great form but you can't get away with riding like that on the street for forever.

Once you get out to the track, you'll be addicted. Try and make it to buttonwillow at some point, because the long sweeper out there will absolutely blow your mind, especially if you get the chance to run the track in the reverse configuration. Cornerspeed on the street is one thing, cornerspeed on the track is another world.

Remove your feelers before your trackday, too. When you grind the pegs, lift your weight off the inside leg, to avoid digging them in and levering the back end off the ground. Unless, of course, you're getting rearsets before the trackday :D

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

huplescat posted:

I think they're a bit of fun, but not lovely little things like Vespas. I've been been doing a riding course on Honda CT110's for work for the last couple of months and they're heaps of fun. Gutless as hell and you can't lean them far before the footpegs start scraping, but they take a hell of a beating and are extremely easy to ride.

I wouldn't mind one to use as a shopping bike or for local stuff. Definitely wouldn't be without my bike for real riding as well though.

My first bike was a CT90, with the hi/lo range gearbox. I took that bike almost anywhere, if it ran out of power to carry me I could push it through the rough parts. Sure it's slow but the go is great. 70 mpg too.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

(Sorry the first picture sucks)

This was before a rather unfortunate incident that scuffed up the right side of my bike and left with me a useless knee. I haven't ridden in over a month. :smith:

I'll be riding again soon hopefully.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

AngryGuy posted:

God drat I love that bike! If there was any way to put some type of riser bar on the 675 I would have bought that instead of the Sprint ST. It is loving brilliant on the track.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

bung posted:

God drat I love that bike! If there was any way to put some type of riser bar on the 675 I would have bought that instead of the Sprint ST. It is loving brilliant on the track.

http://www.helibars.com/proddetail.php?prod=TS675

This is my next mod when I start riding again.

SqueekyD
Dec 1, 2004

Z3n posted:

Good to hear...you've got great form but you can't get away with riding like that on the street for forever.

Once you get out to the track, you'll be addicted. Try and make it to buttonwillow at some point, because the long sweeper out there will absolutely blow your mind, especially if you get the chance to run the track in the reverse configuration. Cornerspeed on the street is one thing, cornerspeed on the track is another world.

Remove your feelers before your trackday, too. When you grind the pegs, lift your weight off the inside leg, to avoid digging them in and levering the back end off the ground. Unless, of course, you're getting rearsets before the trackday :D

Ya, no kidding. I feel like I could ride a faster pace, but not without exceeding my safety margin. I guess that's where the track comes in. I'm sure it will be a humbling experience.

Rearsets and sport bars on next on the to-do list.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

SqueekyD posted:

Ya, no kidding. I feel like I could ride a faster pace, but not without exceeding my safety margin. I guess that's where the track comes in. I'm sure it will be a humbling experience.

Rearsets and sport bars on next on the to-do list.

You won't regret the sports bars. They're not as low as sportbike clip-ons but they make a huge difference in the corners for the 650R. I wish I weren't so cheap so I could get the woodcraft rearsets for our bike :(

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma
Here's my KTM 950 Super enduro. Got some Supermoto wheels in the making, Its going to be awesome.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
The pix don't do it justice. The 950R is the tallest bike in the entire world. It's loving awesome all around though. Little too tall for me, I would definitely rock a 690 enduro though.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
thoughts of that 950 with sumo wheels is giving me a chubby

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

There is nothing different about the bike from the other picture I put up when this thread first started, but I like how this picture came out.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I wish I had a sexier cooler instead of that orange lump on the back.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Woot I had my first crash today on my Ninja 250. I tucked the front end after making a slightly aggressive right turn on a damp morning on cold tires that I think hit some slippery oil poo poo. Wouldn't have happened had I been more mindful of all these factors. Snapped a footpeg in half, rashed up my yoshimura pipes, scuffed a wee bit of fairing, grazed front axle, but that was mostly it. Pretty pissed off since now I can't say it's never been crashed when I go to sell it and people will shy away even though the damage is superficial quite honestly.

I was wearing full gear fortunately, else I would have screwed up my knee, wrist, and thigh. And that was at only 20mph, too. My god...

Helmet was untouched too, which makes me happy.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
If anyone is expecting a second-hand beginner bike to not have any crash damage, they are either delusional, or buying a new bike.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Simkin posted:

If anyone is expecting a second-hand beginner bike to not have any crash damage, they are either delusional, or buying a new bike.

Actually it's a third-hand bike. I think I've been the roughest owner its had so far. Rough, but with respect (Vegas track day coming up yessss).

I am trying to find replacement footpegs. I see these and similar here but both specify fitment for model years earlier than mine, which is an '07. My bike is also weird in that they call it a 250R, in that the EX250 designation ended in 2006 but I still share what I think are mostly identical parts. Internet searching is difficult because of this. I will probably call up a local place and maybe they can sort it out, at least. Unless someone here knows that there really is no difference across the board for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

French Canadian posted:

Actually it's a third-hand bike. I think I've been the roughest owner its had so far. Rough, but with respect (Vegas track day coming up yessss).

I am trying to find replacement footpegs. I see these and similar here but both specify fitment for model years earlier than mine, which is an '07. My bike is also weird in that they call it a 250R, in that the EX250 designation ended in 2006 but I still share what I think are mostly identical parts. Internet searching is difficult because of this. I will probably call up a local place and maybe they can sort it out, at least. Unless someone here knows that there really is no difference across the board for the most part.

There is no difference across the board. The 08 was the first real revision since they started making them. Either of those footpegs will work. They'd probably work on the new model too.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 12, 2008