Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Omegaslast posted:

those kefs are a killer deal.. i really like the kef sound.

do you have good bookshelf stands? do you have some and theyre going to surround position? If so think about getting the kef iq5s, the extra $100 that would go toward a pair of stands can be put towards those.

Unfortunately the black iQ5s are $170 more than the iQ3s. Though I probably will upgrade the speaker stands upfront for ~$40-70, am I going to get a lot more with the iQ5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Sniep posted:

Here's a simple question that I hope I'm just being retarded / not looking in the right place...

If I were to set up a mono-block amp set up, 5 amps one for each channel, what pre-amp/source could I use that has Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. decoding?

Is there no simple discrete multichannel decoder that can take SPDIF or other digital input and just spit out 6 RCA jack analog line level outputs? What am I missing, here?

There might be a Dolby* decoder/DAC out there, but I can't remember ever running into one. Monoblocks, seperate DACs and related stuff are still very much skewed towards the music world - where almost everything is qeared towards stereo, especially after the semi-flop of SACD and DVD-A (:().

I guess your best bet would be to find a semi-cheap receiver that has pre-outs.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
My old free Samsung HTIB's receiver just died a few days ago. It came with a nice set of Klipsch speakers that are likely ok, but can anyone recommend what brands are good to look for in stereo receivers? I'd like 5.1 capability, but it will likely only get used 1/10 of the time. I usually go for Sony, but are other brands better bang for the buck? I've never had any Sony electronic fail on me including an insanely old discman and vcr, so I'm hesistant to switch to another brand.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Mr. Stepmom posted:

My old free Samsung HTIB's receiver just died a few days ago. It came with a nice set of Klipsch speakers that are likely ok, but can anyone recommend what brands are good to look for in stereo receivers? I'd like 5.1 capability, but it will likely only get used 1/10 of the time. I usually go for Sony, but are other brands better bang for the buck? I've never had any Sony electronic fail on me including an insanely old discman and vcr, so I'm hesistant to switch to another brand.

I think Onkyo, Pioneer, and Yamaha will probably be suggested in your price range. Much better than the non-ES Sonys.

I just got the Onkyo 606 for $340 shipped from Amazon.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

On Unicornback posted:

I'm thinking two new bookshelfs for mains (6.5" woofer) and a new center. I'm considering the AV123 XLS-Oncore Monitors and X-CS center ($548.00 + shipping + wait for black finish)

The other setup I'm considering is: KEF IQ3 L/R and the IQ2C for center. I also like that the IQ3 can be bi-amped. ($505 shipped) Does anyone have any experience with KEF speakers? I haven't been able to dig up any useful reviews.
You could also buy three of the same speaker, so you would know they are compatible.

Sniep posted:

Here's a simple question that I hope I'm just being retarded / not looking in the right place...

If I were to set up a mono-block amp set up, 5 amps one for each channel, what pre-amp/source could I use that has Pro Logic II, Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. decoding?

Is there no simple discrete multichannel decoder that can take SPDIF or other digital input and just spit out 6 RCA jack analog line level outputs? What am I missing, here?
Pre-amps are rare and pretty much reserved for special uses and priced accordingly. You'll be better off getting an AV-receiver with preouts. But are you sure you would benefit from the mono-block setup? How big of a home theater are you building?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Saukkis posted:

But are you sure you would benefit from the mono-block setup?

Nope.

Saukkis posted:

How big of a home theater are you building?

That's just it - I'm just reviewing options and am not ready yet to really delve into it; I simply find it odd that they don't have a simple decoder box out. It would seem to be a stupidly simple thing to offer and I just assumed there would be a dozen out there.

Plus, I just have a boner for modular, discrete components vs. fancy all-in-one/do-it-all receivers.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

drat, just when I was almost settled on the KEF iQ3s and center, I found another option.

Energy c300 front towers
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENC300

And the Energy C-C100 center
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ENCC100

All for $525 shipped.

I could squeak the Cherry wood in past the lady because of the all black front. I wish there were KEF or Energy dealer in my area so I could demo, but I have to run on online reviews.

Any opinions on Energy vs KEF? I'm still leaning toward KEF but I want to cover all my bases.

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

On Unicornback posted:

Any opinions on Energy vs KEF? I'm still leaning toward KEF but I want to cover all my bases.

I've heard those KEFs described as midrange heavy and kind of "honkey", which probably doesn't make any sense but more importantly, I've heard those Energy's and they're GREAT sounding speakers for the price. Smooth and musical, but crisp and detailed all the same. Good dynamic slam too.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Pibborando San posted:

I've heard those KEFs described as midrange heavy and kind of "honkey", which probably doesn't make any sense but more importantly, I've heard those Energy's and they're GREAT sounding speakers for the price. Smooth and musical, but crisp and detailed all the same. Good dynamic slam too.

Thanks. I wish the Energys came in Black because the Cherry would really clash with our furniture.

One thing that I've read about the KEFs is the consistent imaging across listening positions due to the tweeter placement in the middle of the woofer.

Decisions, decisions...

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

On Unicornback posted:

Thanks. I wish the Energys came in Black because the Cherry would really clash with our furniture.

They do. I don't know why AudioAdvisor only has the Cherry in right now. Here's a black C300 on Amazon. The price isn't as low, but if you can't stand cherry...

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Well, my speakers crackle now on certain types of pitches. It's really subtle but really annoying to me. I moved to a new apartment and I notice sometimes when people turn on or off a light, it causes a loud thump sound to emanate from my speakers. Could this have damaged them? Could my power source be whats screwing up my speakers? They are Logitech Z-5550's if it makes any difference.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Phillyt posted:

Well, my speakers crackle now on certain types of pitches. It's really subtle but really annoying to me. I moved to a new apartment and I notice sometimes when people turn on or off a light, it causes a loud thump sound to emanate from my speakers. Could this have damaged them? Could my power source be whats screwing up my speakers? They are Logitech Z-5550's if it makes any difference.

Sounds like the amplifier of your logitech set has gone shoddy. the thump when someone turns on the lights should be caught by the powersupply of the amp, and the crackling sounds like something going wrong in the amplification stages.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I would assume the amplifier is in the subwoofer of this set as that is where the big heatsink is. Or is it in the little control deck?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Phillyt posted:

I would assume the amplifier is in the subwoofer of this set as that is where the big heatsink is. Or is it in the little control deck?

I think it should be in the sub. It is in most of these type of sets, anyway. I really don't know how you should go about fixing it, though (apart from buying new stuff, obviously). You could try phoning logitech support, they're said to have really good support, and people over in SHSC are always praising them for their willingness to swap defective stuff.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

pim01 posted:

I think it should be in the sub. It is in most of these type of sets, anyway. I really don't know how you should go about fixing it, though (apart from buying new stuff, obviously). You could try phoning logitech support, they're said to have really good support, and people over in SHSC are always praising them for their willingness to swap defective stuff.

Agreed. Case-in-point: They replaced my slightly malfunctioning (sticky/broken middle button) MX-1000 mouse with an MX-Revolution.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
My speakers actually broke right when I bought them years ago and they sent me new ones after I paid the shipping cost to mail them my old ones. However, I don't remember which company I bought my speakers from. I'll figure it out. Thanks for the help everyone.

MrCompson
Jun 17, 2005

I own some B&W CM7 speakers ( http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/display.aspx?infid=1067&sc=hf ), and today I noticed a dent on the aluminum tweeter. What can I do to fix this? Should I just leave it alone and contact my dealer?

Click here for the full 2000x1331 image.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
My Logitech X-530s have begun playing a phantom radio station/outputting a significant background hum. I'm sure this has been brought up sometime in the past 39 pages, but what can I do to ameliorate this?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

My Logitech X-530s have begun playing a phantom radio station/outputting a significant background hum. I'm sure this has been brought up sometime in the past 39 pages, but what can I do to ameliorate this?

Try a different outlet.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Dominoes posted:

Try a different outlet.

I did, it's the same story. The house is relatively old, and I'm living here til next May. Is there any way to work around it?

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Phillyt posted:

5500s always thump when you turn on light switches, that is totally normal for those speakers.

the crackling.. well that may just be lovely distortion, not so sure.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Omegaslast posted:

5500s always thump when you turn on light switches, that is totally normal for those speakers.

the crackling.. well that may just be lovely distortion, not so sure.

It's really really subtle and did not do this before I moved. I guess when I have free time this weekend, I'll make sure they are properly inserted in the sub.

On Unicornback
Oct 17, 2004

Decided on the KEF iQ3s for mains -- going to bi-amp. Splurged on the iQ6c center channel, blowing my budget. $680 shipped, oh well :)

Sticking with the Velodyne VX-10 sub and Wharfedale WH-2 dipole surround, both I'm still very satisfied with. All powered by my new Onkyo 606. Pretty psyched.

Now I just want to find some unique/classy stands for the iQ3s and I'll be done for about 7 more years.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

Couldn't decide if this belongs in Audio Or Video small questions - but here goes.

I have a DVD player that outputs HDMI but has no 'optical out'.
I have a TV that accepts HDMI which does have 'optical out'.

While running my DVD into my TV via HDMI, will plugging my TV's 'optical out' into a receiver's 'optical in' provide 5.1 from the DVD player?

Dr. Jack Griffin fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 8, 2008

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Bona Weiss posted:

Couldn't decide if this belongs in Audio Or Video small questions - but here goes.

I have a DVD player that outputs HDMI but has no 'optical out'.
I have a TV that accepts HDMI which does have 'optical out'.

While running my DVD into my TV via HDMI, will plugging my TV's 'optical out' into a receiver's 'optical in' provide 5.1 from the DVD player?

Maybe. Depends on the TV. Probably no way to know but to try it.

Dr. Jack Griffin
Apr 6, 2006

fahrvergnugen posted:

Maybe. Depends on the TV. Probably no way to know but to try it.
Will do. Not being lazy, just don't own a receiver yet.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Can someone tell me what the point of gold-plated connectors are? I've never found a point for using them outside of connections that are exposed to weather, so aside from protection from corrosion, I can't think of anything.

Are gold-plated connectors meant for the people who buy the ricer-hdmi 3000™ cables?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Ashex posted:

Can someone tell me what the point of gold-plated connectors are? I've never found a point for using them outside of connections that are exposed to weather, so aside from protection from corrosion, I can't think of anything.

Are gold-plated connectors meant for the people who buy the ricer-hdmi 3000™ cables?

You're right.. It's corrosion proof, but, GOLD!

There is no signal advantage unless in comparison to corroded connectors. Not, at least, simply by the fact that it's plated... The cable itself and its shielding (for analog signals) makes for more of a difference. For digital signals, obviously, it's either on - or seriously broken / off.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Sniep posted:

GOLD!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Sniep posted:

You're right.. It's corrosion proof, but, GOLD!

There is no signal advantage unless in comparison to corroded connectors. Not, at least, simply by the fact that it's plated... The cable itself and its shielding (for analog signals) makes for more of a difference. For digital signals, obviously, it's either on - or seriously broken / off.

thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty sure there was no benefit, but at the same time I saw it on pretty much every type of connector out there, so I always wondered if there was some super-secret trade secret that I didn't know about.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Ashex posted:

thanks for clearing that up. I was pretty sure there was no benefit, but at the same time I saw it on pretty much every type of connector out there, so I always wondered if there was some super-secret trade secret that I didn't know about.

It's just one of those things people have come to associate with quality and since it's not really expensive most (consumer) manufacturers tend to do it. Quality producers don't really seem to bother - I've yet to see a gold-plated Neutrik plug (although I'd wager they do make some for where actual corrosion protection is needed).

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Bona Weiss posted:

Will do. Not being lazy, just don't own a receiver yet.
Get a receiver that supports HDMI and connect your DVD player to it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Bona Weiss posted:

Your TV's manual should tell you if it will transmit the 5.1 sound from an HDMI source over the optical audio out jack.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Rusty Kettle posted:

Okay! I just want to make sure my plan will work before I lay down the money.

I want to get the RCA audio output of my old tv to headphones. I asked a week ago and someone recommended I get a headphone amp. So if I got this amp and this cable, I could plug the RCA end of the cable into the TV, the 1/8 inch into the input of the amp, and my headphones into the output without problem. Is the correct?

I also noticed that I could get this cable, but I do not think the power output of the tv is going to be enough to power these headphones.

Okay, no one answered this, but something new developed and I want to change my question. My TV's right right RCA audio input is dead, so it has been playing everything in mono. I want to fix this without buying a new TV, so is there some sort of female RCA audio to male mini-plug cable? I want to plug my 360's output directly to the headphone amp referenced above, and then output it to either my head phones or these little battery powered speakers I own.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Rusty Kettle posted:

Okay, no one answered this, but something new developed and I want to change my question. My TV's right right RCA audio input is dead, so it has been playing everything in mono. I want to fix this without buying a new TV, so is there some sort of female RCA audio to male mini-plug cable? I want to plug my 360's output directly to the headphone amp referenced above, and then output it to either my head phones or these little battery powered speakers I own.

If you get this cable and two of these RCA couplers, you'll be fine. You could find a single cable with the correct plugs on amazon or wherever, but it'll be a (tiny) bit more expensive and this way will work fine.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
When outputting DTS audio to my audio receiver (Some four year old Sony that I can't find the model number of), the audio skips a LOT. I know it supports DTS audio because there is a DTS logo on the front of the receiver. However, when I switch to Dolby Pro Logic, the sound plays smoothly.

Is it possible that the receiver is too old to quickly decode the high bit rate audio in DTS? The source is a Blu Ray movie.

Also, is it really that bad to output in Pro Logic when the source is DTS? Or should I not notice a difference.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Need: Computer speakers for my Mom.

Emphasis: Music

Budget: ~$100

Any thoughts?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Need: Computer speakers for my Mom.

Emphasis: Music

Budget: ~$100

Any thoughts?

Logitech G51

Decent 5.1 for $68 with rebate.

edit: nvm, she's probably better off with a better 2.1 set since it's just for music.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 13, 2008

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dominoes posted:

Logitech G51

Decent 5.1 for $68 with rebate.

edit: nvm, she's probably better off with a better 2.1 set since it's just for music.

You're right. In fact, something tells me she would prefer something without a sub even. Her musical tastes are more along these lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

You're right. In fact, something tells me she would prefer something without a sub even. Her musical tastes are more along these lines.

It's good to see some sense :). If these will be used mainly while your mom is sitting in one place, and don't have to fill a room with sound, some studio monitors will be perfect. M-audio has these Studiophile AV-30 for $100, which are supposed to deliver good sound for your money (never heard them myself, I'm going on what other people said) and would be a good match in my opinion.

edit: You sometimes hear bad things about m-audio, but that's because they somehow manage to make windows drivers for their soundcards that are even worse than creative's, which won't be a problem here.

pim01 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 14, 2008