Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
God drat, dude. Do you even own a single bike that is not intense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

KidDynamite posted:

I would have crashed not going to lie one bit.

I would have slowed the gently caress down as soon as that poo poo started flying. That dumbass didn't hit the brakes until he was almost into it.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

MrKatharsis posted:

I would have slowed the gently caress down as soon as that poo poo started flying. That dumbass didn't hit the brakes until he was almost into it.

That's the thing I think slowing down would have ended up in running into something or having something run into you. Basically that guy caught amazing amount of luck.

God that KTM is beautiful. I want a 990adventure badly but it's only be used on the street and I would feel bad keeping a monster like that from dirt.

Lightbulbs
Aug 9, 2007
I currently own this lovely 2008 Honda CBR 1000RR - Has about 1600 miles on it.
https://wi.somethingawful.com/63/63259efa648b45344098457c0e9da766d99b204c.jpg

Before i bought the Honda, i had a Kawi Ninja ZX9R until a guy pulled out of a gas station T-boned me and sent me flying.

The bike was totalled by the insurance company but received minimal damage. I fixed it completely for under $200 and re-registored it as a salvage bike.

My first bike was a 1991 Kawi Ninja 600R.

I bought it last summer, fixed it up a bit and rode it til early this summer when. I sold it to another guy at work for teh value that i put into it for repairs and picked up the ZX9R

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 16, 2008

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Lightbulbs posted:

:words:

Maybe you should learn to turn that cbr before you put any more miles on it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

TheTrend posted:

Maybe you should learn to turn that cbr before you put any more miles on it.

Why such hostility? Am I missing something? Oh I see 1 year of riding and he has a literbike. To each their own.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

For those who dont read the Scooter megathread, I inherited a 77 Puch Maxi Sport from my grandmas garage.

It only has 400 miles on it.

Its still sitting in the trailer at my parents house, so I couldnt get good pics of it. I did get some though.

She's sparkly clean, and the paint and chrome is great. The only stains on it are some random oil stains which should wipe off.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

1.5 Blistering HP

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 16, 2008

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
I love those! Almost bought two this summer (they were sold together dirt cheap), but had to pass due to lack of space and time :(

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Car Side Swipes Bike Knocking It Into Oncoming Traffic.

Jumping A Car With And Then Without Your Bike.

autofella
Jun 3, 2008

I think a better description is "Lane-Splitting Guy Is Presumptuous rear end, Fucks Self."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

autofella posted:

I think a better description is "Lane-Splitting Guy Is Presumptuous rear end, Fucks Self."

I...what? You're right, anyone who shares lanes is a presumptuous rear end for...doing something completely legal and should be taken out with great prejudice!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Cross-post from car-related cellphone pics, since they're both related:

Saw this Monster S4R in a parking garage. drat nice bike and all, but I was disappointed that he hadn't done a single mod to it, not even a naked clutch cover. Then I finally spotted this:

The fucktard can't even inflate his loving tires correctly! :mad:
The parking garage was for a gym in downtown Seattle, and I park there almost every time I'm downtown, so I'm sure it wasn't just long term. It pisses me off to see such a nice bike abused like that. I bet the rear end in a top hat's a complete squid, too.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn

Sepist posted:

Why such hostility? Am I missing something? Oh I see 1 year of riding and he has a literbike. To each their own.

He's referring to his inches-large chicken strips, indicating the bike is kept upright.

Slim Pickens posted:

Cross-post from car-related cellphone pics, since they're both related:

Saw this Monster S4R in a parking garage. drat nice bike and all, but I was disappointed that he hadn't done a single mod to it, not even a naked clutch cover. Then I finally spotted this:

The parking garage was for a gym in downtown Seattle, and I park there almost every time I'm downtown, so I'm sure it wasn't just long term. It pisses me off to see such a nice bike abused like that. I bet the rear end in a top hat's a complete squid, too.

Okay it's my turn: what the gently caress are you talking about?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Apparently to the fact that ducatis aren't cool unless they have annoying as gently caress open clutch covers. If you're not swapping clutches on the starting grid, keep that poo poo under wraps the way it belongs.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn
Ah yeah, those loving things. Mapless, where you at?

Jharkov
Feb 26, 2008

by Ozma

Slim Pickens posted:

lol.
Hey, you know flats can be gradual and when you park the bike, it might happen without the owner knowing?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Also, for anyone whos not familiar, you can't go 10 feet in Seattle without spotting a dozen or so Monsters.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

ail posted:

He's referring to his inches-large chicken strips, indicating the bike is kept upright.

If it hasn't been dropped a bunch of times so it's not like he's missing turns so are we criticizing him for properly using his body weight to turn the bike or for not living on a windy mountain road? :confused:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

If it hasn't been dropped a bunch of times so it's not like he's missing turns so are we criticizing him for properly using his body weight to turn the bike or for not living on a windy mountain road? :confused:

Shh, you're raining on the elitist bike lean angle parade.

My g/f's SV had massive chicken strips on the rear Pilot Road because the profile of the tire means that it's impossible to lean it past that point without reducing the contact patch to the point of sliding. It's always interesting to ride a bike that starts pushing both wheels before it drags a peg.

May have had something to do with the 8k on the tires, too.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

Z3n posted:

Shh, you're raining on the elitist bike lean angle parade.

Also, from wiki:

"The bike is typically capable of handling corners far too fast to avoid a sudden obstacle (car stopped or run wide, etc)"

Cars want to kill you. Maximizing your lean angle gives them a greater opportunity to do so. Also, the first ~1000 miles of his 1600 mile bike was engine break in (where you typically have to shift multiple times in a turn).

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Taisa posted:

Also, from wiki:

"The bike is typically capable of handling corners far too fast to avoid a sudden obstacle (car stopped or run wide, etc)"

Cars want to kill you. Maximizing your lean angle gives them a greater opportunity to do so. Also, the first ~1000 miles of his 1600 mile bike was engine break in (where you typically have to shift multiple times in a turn).

Oh thank you mister wizard, not owning a bike or ever riding makes this is invaluable information for me. :rolleyes: Why bother buying a sport bike IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE ALBSOLUTE MINIMUM LEAN ANGLE BECAUSE ALL THE CARS WANT OT KILL ME OH GOD THE HORROR.

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

TheTrend posted:

Oh thank you mister wizard, not owning a bike or ever riding makes this is invaluable information for me. :rolleyes: Why bother buying a sport bike IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE ALBSOLUTE MINIMUM LEAN ANGLE BECAUSE ALL THE CARS WANT OT KILL ME OH GOD THE HORROR.

But why criticize somebody for riding within their ability. Plus since it's just a picture of the bike you never know he might have great form and just not a place to safely reach the speed and lean angles needed to use the whole tire. Maybe he doesn't need a liter bike but their was no reason to get on his case about his chicken strips.

Squishy Buddha
Jan 9, 2003

2/12/1980 Never Forget.

TheTrend posted:

Have you been killed by a car yet? THEN HOW WOULD YOU KNOW ANYWAY, MISTER. :colbert:

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Sick_Nukes posted:

But why criticize somebody for riding within their ability. Plus since it's just a picture of the bike you never know he might have great form and just not a place to safely reach the speed and lean angles needed to use the whole tire. Maybe he doesn't need a liter bike but their was no reason to get on his case about his chicken strips.

With your quote "great form" you can drag a knee at 30mph on a modern sport bike. Christ i've done it in a parking lot at safeway with out being a menance to society.With a half way decent twisty road you can easily grind your strips down with out riding like an idiot. Maybe you should realize what you can and cannot realistically do on a motorcycle before rushing to the aide of the Cycle Safety Squad and trying your holier than thou bullshit on someone for making a joke.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
What's so bad about having chicken stripes?

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005

Jack the Smack posted:

Nothing.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Chickens don't have stripes. They have peckers.

For Your Information.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

People make fun of you. :xd:

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Z3n posted:

People make fun of you. :xd:

Well, we're all goons in AI and CA so we should be used to it.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I only have chicken strips on the left side of my tires. :(:( :(

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I have chicken strips that will strike fear into the hearts of men. I also don't have any roads near by to twistie.

Oh god, does that make me a lamer?

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

TheTrend posted:

With your quote "great form" you can drag a knee at 30mph on a modern sport bike. Christ i've done it in a parking lot at safeway with out being a menance to society.With a half way decent twisty road you can easily grind your strips down with out riding like an idiot. Maybe you should realize what you can and cannot realistically do on a motorcycle before rushing to the aide of the Cycle Safety Squad and trying your holier than thou bullshit on someone for making a joke.

Hey, champ... before you embarrass yourself further or get banned/probated for being an insufferable rear end let me be the first to tell you that if you're dragging a knee in the parking lot of safeway at 30 MPH or below your technique is trash and you should learn how to ride properly before commenting on others. Once you're over ~15 MPH you should be leaning your body to turn the bike before leaning the bike itself..especially if you're all about being an ELEETZOR SPORTBIKE RYDA. If your bike is in a full lean at 30 you have terrible, awful form and if you continue the same form through the MPH range you'll be dragging pegs before you've come even close to maximum corner speed. Additionally, most good riders don't give a poo poo about chicken strips and certainly aren't doing idiotic nonsense in store parking lots to get rid of them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

Hey, champ... before you embarrass yourself further or get banned/probated for being an insufferable rear end let me be the first to tell you that if you're dragging a knee in the parking lot of safeway at 30 MPH or below your technique is trash and you should learn how to ride properly before commenting on others. Once you're over ~15 MPH you should be leaning your body to turn the bike before leaning the bike itself..especially if you're all about being an ELEETZOR SPORTBIKE RYDA. If your bike is in a full lean at 30 you have terrible, awful form and if you continue the same form through the MPH range you'll be dragging pegs before you've come even close to maximum corner speed. Additionally, most good riders don't give a poo poo about chicken strips and certainly aren't doing idiotic nonsense in store parking lots to get rid of them.

:sigh: Not this poo poo again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABQbps8n5w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYqyzYhydPk
Knee down has nothing to do with skill, lean angle, or dangerous riding. Just how you hang off. And contrary to popular belief, while hanging off may make you look stupid (only until you have a knee down, of course :rolleyes: ) it's actually better technique than sitting up on the bike, especially in lovely conditions.

Also, people drag knee because they're leaning their bodies over while they lean their bikes over. So, according to your somewhat contradictory post, they actually have good technique.

To make that perfectly clear: max lean has nothing to do with knee down. A rider isn't magically at max lean because they have their knee on the ground.

Knee down means nothing. Absolutely...nothing. There's a picture out there of me passing a rider at the track who is dragging elbow around the outside without even having my knee on the ground. It doesn't mean a god drat thing.

Finally, chicken strips are bullshit for 3 reasons:

1. Rear chicken strips mean nothing. On a big, 180-90 tire with a bike that makes decent HP (anything over, say, 70hp) all you have to do to erradicate chicken strips is lean it over a bit, and use the throttle to deform the rear contact patch. Bam, chicken strips are gone.
2. Front chicken strips (that no one ever talks about because everyone has them) are a better gauge of lean angle, but can still indicate poo poo riding technique, because all you have to do to erradicate those is be a dumbass and go through a corner off the gas to eat up a lot of lean angle and put a bunch of stress on the front tire. Or you can trailbrake like an idiot to do it.
3. Tire profile has more to do with it than anything else. On my g/f's SV, I eradicated the front strips riding like a retard and yet the back end still has over an inch of chicken strip on the back. The Pilot Race H2s that I ran on my ZX-6E at the track would still have about half of inch of chicken strip, even if you were dragging the stator cover. It is not possible to lean certain tires over far enough without dragging the engine covers to get rid of chicken strips. This goes double if someone's running an odd profile tire, ie, a 170+ on a rim designed for a 160.

So, chicken strips don't mean poo poo. lovely riders will always have them, but good riders will have them sometimes too. Plus, you have assholes like me (or the people I sell my track takeoffs to) who swap track tires over to streetbikes to wear out the center. :v:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 27, 2008

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
I don't think I can knee drag in a parking lot with an SV1000.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jack the Smack posted:

I don't think I can knee drag in a parking lot with an SV1000.

You can if you hang off right. When most people think that they are hanging off right, they're not. They rotate and twist around the tank, and end up sticking their knee towards the front of the bike rather than out to the side like an outrigger. If you can't do it, there are 2 reasons: Your throttle control isn't good enough to hold the bike steady, or you're not hanging off right. That is it...you only need about 20 degrees of lean if you hang off like a monkey, and most people hit that going to the store and having fun on a freeway onramp.

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

Z3n posted:

:sigh: Not this poo poo again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VABQbps8n5w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYqyzYhydPk
Knee down has nothing to do with skill, lean angle, or dangerous riding. Just how you hang off. And contrary to popular belief, while hanging off may make you look stupid (only until you have a knee down, of course :rolleyes: ) it's actually better technique than sitting up on the bike, especially in lovely conditions.

Also, people drag knee because they're leaning their bodies over while they lean their bikes over. So, according to your somewhat contradictory post, they actually have good technique.

To make that perfectly clear: max lean has nothing to do with knee down. A rider isn't magically at max lean because they have their knee on the ground.

Knee down means nothing. Absolutely...nothing. There's a picture out there of me passing a rider at the track who is dragging elbow around the outside without even having my knee on the ground. It doesn't mean a god drat thing.

Finally, chicken strips are bullshit for 3 reasons:

1. Rear chicken strips mean nothing. On a big, 180-90 tire with a bike that makes decent HP (anything over, say, 70hp) all you have to do to erradicate chicken strips is lean it over a bit, and use the throttle to deform the rear contact patch. Bam, chicken strips are gone.
2. Front chicken strips (that no one ever talks about because everyone has them) are a better gauge of lean angle, but can still indicate poo poo riding technique, because all you have to do to erradicate those is be a dumbass and go through a corner off the gas to eat up a lot of lean angle and put a bunch of stress on the front tire. Or you can trailbrake like an idiot to do it.
3. Tire profile has more to do with it than anything else. On my g/f's SV, I eradicated the front strips riding like a retard and yet the back end still has over an inch of chicken strip on the back. The Pilot Race H2s that I ran on my ZX-6E at the track would still have about half of inch of chicken strip, even if you were dragging the stator cover. It is not possible to lean certain tires over far enough without dragging the engine covers to get rid of chicken strips. This goes double if someone's running an odd profile tire, ie, a 170+ on a rim designed for a 160.

So, chicken strips don't mean poo poo. lovely riders will always have them, but good riders will have them sometimes too. Plus, you have assholes like me (or the people I sell my track takeoffs to) who swap track tires over to streetbikes to wear out the center. :v:

This is basically what I was saying only I mean bike lean angle instead of knee down which I clarified later. I made the same mistake he did since I was responding to his post. Leaning your body is always good. :)

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Video of me riding down a small waterfall. No water in it this time of the year though, but its still fun!

HQ option for those that care about vid quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmrhmAbYyvA

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*

Sepist posted:

I only have chicken strips on the left side of my tires. :(:( :(

I hear you brotha, it's near impossible to find some decent left-handers :I

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Click here for the full 1240x1615 image.

http://www.frozenhorsepower.com/cgi-bin/technology.aspx?TypeId=mc

That bike is supposed to make 93hp at the crank. Why would you even run a bike with an AF like that on the dyno after the first run, jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Z3n posted:

You can if you hang off right. When most people think that they are hanging off right, they're not. They rotate and twist around the tank, and end up sticking their knee towards the front of the bike rather than out to the side like an outrigger. If you can't do it, there are 2 reasons: Your throttle control isn't good enough to hold the bike steady, or you're not hanging off right. That is it...you only need about 20 degrees of lean if you hang off like a monkey, and most people hit that going to the store and having fun on a freeway onramp.

Rotating your hips around the tank is exactly what I was told to do when I went to a racing school.