Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

InfiniteZero posted:

It's his day job.

I think he means, why is Matt Murdoch acting as prosecuter in the beginning of Daredevil when for the rest of the movie he is a defense attorney? Also, he is prosecuting a rape case, so why does he refer to the victim as "my client"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

We Are Citizen posted:

I think he means, why is Matt Murdoch acting as prosecuter in the beginning of Daredevil when for the rest of the movie he is a defense attorney? Also, he is prosecuting a rape case, so why does he refer to the victim as "my client"?

It's a pretty big error. He and Foggy are representing the rape victim, but any rape proceedings would be a criminal trial and therefore the prosecution would be handled by the DA. It's possible that the rape victim is suing Quesada for damages after the fact (like the civil suit against OJ filed by the Goldmans), but even then, there wouldn't be any talks of acquittals or guilty verdicts, simply liability.

There's no way to explain it out of a huge scripting mistake. (Outside of that, I thoroughly enjoy the Director's Cut of the movie.)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BooDoug187 posted:

I thought for awhile Spider-man was a high school teacher, before the whole Civil War thing, and really his other day job of being a freelance photographer was also low profile.

Yeah he was, he was a high school science teacher. Just in case anyone was wondering, yes, they do address the fact that he didn't have a teaching degree or anything like that. The school he got hired on to was a poor inner city one that couldn't keep a teacher at all so they deferred the degree due to experience in the field.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Since I just bought a copy of The Way of the Gun (haven't seen it since it came out) I was wondering - what's Christopher McQuarrie been doing since that came out?

He's credited as a writer on Valkyrie (is that ever coming out or did Tom Cruise sink that ship?) and has another movie listed in pre-production on IMDB (not that that means much, apparently) but that's it - nothing else for the last 7-8 years.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

BooDoug187 posted:

I thought for awhile Spider-man was a high school teacher, before the whole Civil War thing, and really his other day job of being a freelance photographer was also low profile.

I forgot about that. My comic book nerd cred is smashed.

I obviously also didn't know about the whole prosecutor/defense attorney problem in Daredevil though. Not that there aren't a few other issues with that movie ...

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

So I have been more and more interested in Oldboy and just learned that it is part of a trilogy. Is the rest of the series any good? Is there an order I should watch them?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Dr. Coffee posted:

So I have been more and more interested in Oldboy and just learned that it is part of a trilogy. Is the rest of the series any good? Is there an order I should watch them?

You don't have to watch in any particular order. Lady Vengeance is the best of them.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Dr. Coffee posted:

They're a thematic trilogy, about revenge and human nature. The proper order of the trilogy, though, which seems to work best in terms of seeing the best last is Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.

Edit: If you enjoy them, check out some of Park Chan-wook's other films.

timeandtide fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 20, 2008

Dr. Coffee
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks a lot guys. Rearranging my Netflix account now!

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

FitFortDanga posted:

You don't have to watch in any particular order. Lady Vengeance is the best of them.

While I enjoyed Lady of Vengeance, and its quirky sense of humor (the only one of the three with a defined sense of humor), personally Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance I thought was the best. As time has gone on though, I actually think Oldboy while still a good movie is probably my least favorite of the three.

I pretty much enjoy all of Park's films even I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK.

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Encryptic posted:

I watched There Will Be Blood again recently and it occurs to me: What exactly happened during the oil rig fire scene?

- Did they hit a natural gas vein or something in the area where they were drilling for oil? Some guy screams "It's gas! It's gas!" and everyone runs away but they never elaborate on what exactly happened.

- What happened to make H.W. deaf? The pressure of the gas shooting out of the ground around him burst his eardrums?

- Why did the oil rig catch on fire? Did the gas react with the outside air and spontaneously ignite or something?

Binowru posted:

I think the oil was shooting out of the ground so fast that it caused enough friction against the rocky ground to ignite. There's a similar phenomenon where fire hoses will actually catch fire if the water pressure gets high enough.

When your drilling for oil or gas, you can get what is called a kick where gas is coming from formation/ground into your well at a very high pressure. Now we use rotary drilling with a "mud" in the well to help control pressure, think like a drill bit on a hand drill. Gas is also a product of the processes that create oil. It was such a high pressure underground that it just made a really loud noise when it came out that made him deaf. In that type of situation any little spark can catch the gas on fire and make it explode.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

KaLogain posted:

When your drilling for oil or gas, you can get what is called a kick where gas is coming from formation/ground into your well at a very high pressure. Now we use rotary drilling with a "mud" in the well to help control pressure, think like a drill bit on a hand drill. Gas is also a product of the processes that create oil. It was such a high pressure underground that it just made a really loud noise when it came out that made him deaf. In that type of situation any little spark can catch the gas on fire and make it explode.

Heh - I actually forgot I had even posted this. Thanks for the answers, both of you. :)

KaLogain
Dec 29, 2004

I got her number. How do you like them apples?
Cybernetic Crumb

Encryptic posted:

Heh - I actually forgot I had even posted this. Thanks for the answers, both of you. :)

BTW, oil and gas aren't in the ground as a big pool, they are in between particles of material, like sand grains and fractures in the rock. Of course it could happen that it seeps into a some sort of cave or something but I haven't heard of that.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
It's like you're a petroleum engineer or something.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
Holy cow, I just looked at his Imdb profile, just for the hell of it...

quote:

Alexander Siddig
Date of Birth
21 November 1965, Sudan

Birth Name
Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abderahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdel Karim El Mahdi

That's a mouthful.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008
There Will Be Blood: What is the significance of the title? I mean, there was blood, so it is technically accurate, but what does it mean? Is it something boring, like blood being a metaphor for oil or oil being a metaphor for blood or something stupid like that? Or is Paul Anderson just a really big fan of the Saw movies?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Isn't it from a poem?

Edit: Lord Byron
http://famouspoetsandpoems.com/poets/lord_byron/quotes

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

We Are Citizen posted:

There Will Be Blood: What is the significance of the title? I mean, there was blood, so it is technically accurate, but what does it mean? Is it something boring, like blood being a metaphor for oil or oil being a metaphor for blood or something stupid like that? Or is Paul Anderson just a really big fan of the Saw movies?

I think it's fairly obvious, both as a literal statement (which makes a grimly hilarious punchline to the movie), and more broadly about how the "progress" of industry carries a human cost.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

h_double posted:

I think it's fairly obvious, both as a literal statement (which makes a grimly hilarious punchline to the movie), and more broadly about how the "progress" of industry carries a human cost.

There also seems to be a Biblical meaning to it - though I'm not familiar enough with the Bible to be sure.

I'm in the middle of watching Unforgiven and I was thinking - what are some other "must-see" Westerns out there? I've seen a number of the well-known ones and enjoyed them (Tombstone, Dances With Wolves, Leone's Man With No Name trilogy, The Magnificent Seven, etc.) but I know there's others out there that are well-regarded.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Encryptic posted:

I'm in the middle of watching Unforgiven and I was thinking - what are some other "must-see" Westerns out there? I've seen a number of the well-known ones and enjoyed them (Tombstone, Dances With Wolves, Leone's Man With No Name trilogy, The Magnificent Seven, etc.) but I know there's others out there that are well-regarded.

I'm certainly not an expert on classic Westerns, but I really like the modern, gritty Westerns like The Proposition and the series Deadwood.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

I'm certainly not an expert on classic Westerns, but I really like the modern, gritty Westerns like The Proposition and the series Deadwood.

Yeah, I forgot to mention I've seen The Proposition and liked that as well. I've also seen Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - great movie.

Been meaning to get a hold of Deadwood on DVD - I've heard enough about it to figure I'd probably like it. I didn't get HBO until well after the series ended.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Encryptic posted:

There also seems to be a Biblical meaning to it - though I'm not familiar enough with the Bible to be sure.

The Wild Bunch is pretty great and fits right in with the type of movie you've been talking about (later period, revisionist westerns). Some more traditional westerns that might be worth checking out are The Searchers, High Noon, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and (depending on your categorization) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. Your mileage will probably vary on the last four, though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Encryptic posted:

I'm going to resist the urge to answer this in the form of an essay on the Western as a historic film genre. So here's a plain ol' list, with minimal comments:

• Stagecoach (1939). Probably the classic Western, and one of the greatest films ever made. This is one of those films that reams and reams of critical analysis can (and have) been written about, and I'll make no attempt to get into it here. Suffice it to say that this film is nearly an encyclopedia of the Western: the setting, the narrative grammar, the archetypal characters, and so on. Understand Stagecoach and you understand the studio era Western.
  • My Darling Clementine (1946). John Ford made a lot of Westerns, and while they're all worth consideration individually they're most important, I think, collectively as they define much of the language and mythology of film---certainly of American popular film through the studio era. That said, My Darling Clementine is interesting in what Ford does differently here than elsewhere in his oeuvre. This is probably the lightest of Ford's Westerns, and manages to be the best film about the gunfight at the OK Corral and the film that seems to be the least concerned about it. I think what we're really seeing in the film is Ford's vision of a (most would argue fictional) utopian ideal embodied in the American West. Most Westerns (Ford's included) were about resourceful and hard-fisted men carving a future out for themselves (usually out of the American Indian). My Darling Clementine is less about this than the rustic ideal that they're striving for.
  • Red River (1948). There's this story, probably apocryphal, that John Ford watched John Wayne's performance in Red River and told director Howard Hawks `I never knew he could act'. That's a great line even if not true, and I think it actually says more about Hawks' direction than Wayne's acting. This is one of the great Westerns. Like Stagecoach, it encapsulates nearly everything that can be said about a particular sort of Western film.
  • High Noon (1952). One of the most important Westerns and, arguably, films ever made. The tropes it establishes are so familiar now that they're almost transparent to us but were inflammatory enough at the time that films were made as angry responses to the moral universe the film presents. The scandalous suggestion made by the film? That good, honest townsfolk might take expediency and safety over pure righteousness, and therefore side with a bunch of dangerous bandits over an aging sheriff. This is another Western about which much can be written, but I'll confine myself to just saying that this is one of the great films.
  • Shane (1953). This is one of the most interestingly inflected of the classic studio Westerns. This is by no means a revisionist Western: there are literal white hats and black hats, and the invocation (if not enunciation) of Ye Olde Code of the West. But there's also a sort of ambivalence toward the heroic myth of the Western that also remains unenunciated but which is nevertheless the film's most striking feature.
  • The Searchers (1956). One of John Ford's most problematic Westerns; made near the end of the era of the classic studio Western, this is one of the last mainstream films to portray the heroic White Man fighting tooth and nail against the bloodthirsty redskins. That said, the center of the film is a story of personal obsession, and John Wayne handles it surprisingly well. Wayne was not much of a character actor, and Ford didn't really have much use for characters' nuanced inner struggles. A standount in many ways.
  • Django (1966). Probably the most memorable and influential of the non-Leone `spaghetti Westerns'. But where Leone transcends the genre tropes to make classic films, director Sergio Corbucci here wallows in them. This is explotation cinema at its loudy, bloody, and ludicrous best.
  • Il Buono, il brutto, il cattivo (1966), a.k.a. The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. You already said you've seen the Man With No Name films, but I'm including it anyway in case someone else sees the list and need the recommendation. One of the great films, with the iconic score by Morricone and some of Leone's most striking direction. Contains the best gunslingin' showdown ever set on film.
  • Se Sei Vivo Spara (1967) (1967), a.k.a. Djago Kill... If You Live, Shoot!. My favourite of the Django films, and a strong contender for the best Western title ever. This is another Italian `spaghetti Western' full of stylistic and dramatic excesses.
  • C'era una volta il West (1968), a.k.a. Once Upon a Time in the West. Less well-known than Leone's Man With No Name films, this is the most consciously revisionist of Leone's Westerns and some think his best.
  • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969). Another iconic Western. Like so most of the Westerns of the period, this was really a revisionist Western, although not revisionist in the sense that Leone's or Peckinpah's Westerns are. I think we can be permitted in reading a bit of Vietnam into the story of young, optimistic, and enterprising Americans being unable to escape inevitable defeat in a foreign land. Most of the film is much lighter than most revisionist Westerns, which I think is the reason we remember so well the grim and iconic ending.
  • The Wild Bunch (1969). Peckinpah's most influential film. I won't get into discussing it's importance here. The sensational violence that was its most remarkable feature when it was originally released seems less over-the-top today, but is still striking. It remains as much of a paen of utter bitterness as it ever was.
...and that's quite a list. I've arbitrarily cut myself off at the end at 1970 to avoid having to work through the crop of modern revisionist at-what-price-the-American-West Westerns. And I didn't include any silent Westerns (again, to avoid having to wade through a lot of notable titles without being able to name many truly iconic ones). I've also avoided mentioning a lot of interesting but less important titles---like Fuller's Westerns, or the ones Hellman directed for Roger Corman.

Feel free to ask if you want more.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The remake of 3:10 to Yuma is worth a look (it's better than the original) and then there's the classic How the West was Won (just re-released on Blu-Ray and gorgeous looking). I'm trying to think of some others that haven't been mentioned, but I'll have to think about that.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Encryptic posted:

I didn't know that, but a quick search reveals it's from Exodus 7:19:

"Then the LORD said to Moses, "Say to Aaron, 'Take your staff and stretch out your hand over the waters of Egypt, over their rivers, over their streams, and over their pools, and over all their reservoirs of water, that they may become blood; and there will be blood throughout all the land of Egypt, both in vessels of wood and in vessels of stone.'"

(from the New American Standard Bible)

A very fitting image.

Encryptic posted:

SubG's list should keep you busy for a while (and contains a couple that are new to me); without getting too far into modern/revisionist westerns, I'll mention High Plains Drifter, a Clint Eastwood film from 1973, that was really the first "dark" western (John Wayne wrote Eastwood a letter to complain about the film's portrayal). It has all the stylistic trappings of a classic western but manages to be pretty radical and surreal at the same time.

h_double fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 26, 2008

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Encryptic posted:

You've got a good list going, I just want to add that the Italians did Westerns better than the Americans. So you might wanna check out Death Rides a Horse, too. (and big ups on Django, it's hugely important)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

You've got a good list going, I just want to add that the Italians did Westerns better than the Americans.
Well, the Italians did a certain kind of Western better than Hollywood did. But in the spaghetti Western the American West is really just a canvas on which chaotic amorality can be displayed. The American Western---even the Hollywood studio Western---offers a far broader view. Ford's idealism, Hawks' mythmaking, Fuller's ambivalence, Ray's...however you want to characterise Johnny Guitar (1954), and so on. And that's not even touching the whole let's-do-the-whole-thing-over-with-us-as-the-bad-guys thing that characterises post-studio era Westerns. Or Western kitsch (Zachariah (1971), say).

The Hollywood Western has, or has had, pretty much everything American film has ever had. The Italian Western has always been a subgenre ghetto of exploitation cinema. The Italians do exploitation better than Hollywood does---but then again pretty much everybody does exploitation films better than mainstream Hollywood does.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

SubG posted:

Well, the Italians did a certain kind of Western better than Hollywood did. But in the spaghetti Western the American West is really just a canvas on which chaotic amorality can be displayed. The American Western---even the Hollywood studio Western---offers a far broader view. Ford's idealism, Hawks' mythmaking, Fuller's ambivalence, Ray's...however you want to characterise Johnny Guitar (1954), and so on. And that's not even touching the whole let's-do-the-whole-thing-over-with-us-as-the-bad-guys thing that characterises post-studio era Westerns. Or Western kitsch (Zachariah (1971), say).

The Hollywood Western has, or has had, pretty much everything American film has ever had. The Italian Western has always been a subgenre ghetto of exploitation cinema. The Italians do exploitation better than Hollywood does---but then again pretty much everybody does exploitation films better than mainstream Hollywood does.

I don't think you are really being fair (I mean, between Sergio Leone and John Ford, who would you really reduce to being an exploitation filmmaker?), but you're right about one thing: the Italian Westerns used the American West as a canvas to tell stories on, whereas the American Westerns tend to focus on actually telling stories about the American West. I'd say that that makes American Westerns the ones that are really limited.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

We Are Citizen posted:

(I mean, between Sergio Leone and John Ford, who would you really reduce to being an exploitation filmmaker?)
Er, neither. But of the two Leone. No question. What's your point?

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

SubG posted:

Er, neither. But of the two Leone. No question. What's your point?

Wait, so Sergio Leone, a man famous for directing Italian westerns (which according to you are a subset of exploitation films), is not an exploitation director? You'll have to explain that one.

Anyway, I was all ready to type out a big explanation of how John Ford was an exploitation filmmaker, but then I checked the Wikipedia entry for "Exploitation film" and I guess I was wrong about what exploitation films are. I'd considered them to be any films that were made very quickly and cheaply in order to exploit audience interests, (by which definition Ford would certainly qualify), but according to Wikipedia, the term "exploitation film" refers specifically to films that exploit the audience's taste for sex or violence. So I guess you win this round.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

We Are Citizen posted:

Wait, so Sergio Leone, a man famous for directing Italian westerns (which according to you are a subset of exploitation films), is not an exploitation director? You'll have to explain that one.
Leone's films were not, by and large, exploitation films. Per un Pugno di Dollari (1964) (A Fistful of Dollars) looks, feels, and was produced very much in the style of the typical spaghetti Western, and is a film you could call an exploitation film without blushing. But by the end of the Man With No Name trilogy, Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo (1966) (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) is called a spaghetti Western by convention but it's a (comparatively) high-budget film with an actively anti-exploitation mood. His later Western films...the comedies and C'Era una Volta il West (1968) (Once Upon a Time in the West) are called spaghetti Westerns entirely by virtue of the fact that they're Italian-made films set in the American West; they have virtually nothing to do in terms of style, theme or production methods with exploitation films. And of course Once Upon a Time in America (1984) isn't a Western (like his earlier films, not discussed here).

So I'll grant you that he made one or maybe two films that we can comfortably call exploitation films. So if you ask me to call him or John Ford (who made no films that could by any stretch of the imagination be called exploitation films) an exploitation filmmaker I'd pick Leone. But I wouldn't say without qualification that Leone is an exploitation filmmaker.

We Are Citizen posted:

Anyway, I was all ready to type out a big explanation of how John Ford was an exploitation filmmaker, but then I checked the Wikipedia entry for "Exploitation film" and I guess I was wrong about what exploitation films are. I'd considered them to be any films that were made very quickly and cheaply in order to exploit audience interests, (by which definition Ford would certainly qualify)[...].
I think you don't understand either what kind of films Ford made, or how the studio system worked in general...or I suppose possibly both.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

SubG posted:

Leone's films were not, by and large, exploitation films. Per un Pugno di Dollari (1964) (A Fistful of Dollars) looks, feels, and was produced very much in the style of the typical spaghetti Western, and is a film you could call an exploitation film without blushing. But by the end of the Man With No Name trilogy, Il Buono, il Brutto, il Cattivo (1966) (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly) is called a spaghetti Western by convention but it's a (comparatively) high-budget film with an actively anti-exploitation mood. His later Western films...the comedies and C'Era una Volta il West (1968) (Once Upon a Time in the West) are called spaghetti Westerns entirely by virtue of the fact that they're Italian-made films set in the American West; they have virtually nothing to do in terms of style, theme or production methods with exploitation films. And of course Once Upon a Time in America (1984) isn't a Western (like his earlier films, not discussed here).

So I'll grant you that he made one or maybe two films that we can comfortably call exploitation films. So if you ask me to call him or John Ford (who made no films that could by any stretch of the imagination be called exploitation films) an exploitation filmmaker I'd pick Leone. But I wouldn't say without qualification that Leone is an exploitation filmmaker.

This is what I'm saying: Leone made Italian westerns. Not only that, he made the Italian westerns, the three films that spawned and are representative of the entire subgenre. So if Leone's Italian westerns aren't exploitation films, how can you say that Italian westerns are a subgenre of exploitation films, rather than of westerns in general?

[edit: I misread your post. I thought you were saying that none of the Man With No Name films were exploitation films, which I would have agreed with. So instead I'll ask: what, exactly, was A Fistful of Dollars exploiting? What made it an exploitation film instead of just another action movie set in the American west? I can see calling later Italian westerns like Django exploitation films, since they were mostly exploiting American audiences newfound taste for violent Italian westerns like A Fistul of Dollars. But I don't think that makes Dollars itself an exploitation film.]

quote:

I think you don't understand either what kind of films Ford made, or how the studio system worked in general...or I suppose possibly both.

Maybe I don't, because I don't understand how William Beaudine cranking out three or four generic westerns every year makes him an exploitation filmmaker, but John Ford cranking out three or four generic war movies every year doesn't. Is it just because Ford was a great director who made genuinely great films every now and then, whereas Beaudine was a hack?

We Are Citizen fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 27, 2008

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

We Are Citizen posted:

I'll ask: what, exactly, was A Fistful of Dollars exploiting? What made it an exploitation film instead of just another action movie set in the American west?

It was an unlicensed remake of a Kurosawa samurai flick made in the wake of the success of The Magnificent Seven (also a Kurosawa remake), which was released I think one year earlier.

Maybe that makes it an exploitation film, maybe not, but either way, it's a pretty drat inspired movie.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

We Are Citizen posted:

This is what I'm saying: Leone made Italian westerns. Not only that, he made the Italian westerns, the three films that spawned and are representative of the entire subgenre. So if Leone's Italian westerns aren't exploitation films, how can you say that Italian westerns are a subgenre of exploitation films, rather than of westerns in general?
Because I don't have some addlepated notion that statements about Westerns in general, Italian Westerns in particular, or Italian Westerns made by Sergio Leone need to follow some absolutist stricture as decreed by We Are Citizen.

Spaghetti Westerns are a subgenre of exploitation film. Sergio Leone made Spaghetti Westerns. Not all of Leone's films are exploitation films. The End.

We Are Citizen posted:

So instead I'll ask: what, exactly, was A Fistful of Dollars exploiting? What made it an exploitation film instead of just another action movie set in the American west?
It was made dirt cheap and featured what was for the time sensational violence. That's pretty much the definition of an exploitation film. It's also a fairly well-made film, although neither as original nor as technically accomplished as Leone's later films.

We Are Citizen posted:

Maybe I don't, because I don't understand how William Beaudine cranking out three or four generic westerns every year makes him an exploitation filmmaker, but John Ford cranking out three or four generic war movies every year doesn't. Is it just because Ford was a great director who made genuinely great films every now and then, whereas Beaudine was a hack?
John Ford didn't make exploitation films. He made, by and large, comparatively big-budget and very mainstream (critically and commercially) films.

So I guess a summary thus far would be:
  • You don't seem to know what an exploitation film is
  • You don't seem to know what sort of films John Ford made
  • You don't seem to know what sort of films Sergio Leone made

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dvlos posted:

While I enjoyed Lady of Vengeance, and its quirky sense of humor (the only one of the three with a defined sense of humor), personally Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance I thought was the best. As time has gone on though, I actually think Oldboy while still a good movie is probably my least favorite of the three.

I pretty much enjoy all of Park's films even I'm a Cyborg, but that's OK.

Just an aside, but I think 'I'm A Cyborg...' is a great movie. Apparently Park's intention was to make a movie for his teenage daughter that wouldn't be patronising as gently caress, and I think he more than achieved that.

Don't forget about Joint Security Area, either. It takes a long time to properly get into 'Park-mode', but when it does it's heartbreaking and I learned a lot about Korea's political situation too.

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

SubG posted:

Because I don't have some addlepated notion that statements about Westerns in general, Italian Westerns in particular, or Italian Westerns made by Sergio Leone need to follow some absolutist stricture as decreed by We Are Citizen.

Spaghetti Westerns are a subgenre of exploitation film. Sergio Leone made Spaghetti Westerns. Not all of Leone's films are exploitation films. The End.

How about this: Once Upon a Time in the West is a western. Once Upon a Time in the West was made in Italy. Once Upon a Time in the West is not an exploitation film. Therefore, not all Italian westerns are exploitation films. The End.

quote:

It was made dirt cheap and featured what was for the time sensational violence. That's pretty much the definition of an exploitation film. It's also a fairly well-made film, although neither as original nor as technically accomplished as Leone's later films.

John Ford didn't make exploitation films. He made, by and large, comparatively big-budget and very mainstream (critically and commercially) films.

So budget is the issue? William Beaudine's films weren't any less mainstream than Ford's, they just had lower budgets. Hell, A Fistful of Dollars was a mainstream film. Westerns were extremely popular when Dollars was released, and although it was a slightly revisionist take on the genre, it was a huge success.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

We Are Citizen posted:

How about this: Once Upon a Time in the West is a western. Once Upon a Time in the West was made in Italy. Once Upon a Time in the West is not an exploitation film. Therefore, not all Italian westerns are exploitation films. The End.
Okay, sure. What's your point?

We Are Citizen posted:

So budget is the issue? William Beaudine's films weren't any less mainstream than Ford's, they just had lower budgets. Hell, A Fistful of Dollars was a mainstream film.
I think A Fistful of Dollars is now closer to the American mainstream then when it was released, but when Leone made it it sure as hell wasn't seen as mainstream as it is now. Something like, I dunno, Reservoir Dogs (1992) or Blood Simple (1984) or a film along those lines. Maybe this is another one of those film concepts for which you're using your own idiosyncratic definition. Leone's first Western was certainly popular in the Italian market during its initial theatrical release, but it didn't get much critical or popular attention until it was re-released, and really didn't get enshrined as part of the popular canon until sometime in late '70s (i.e., after it was shown on American television---complete with shot-for-the-television-market additional exposition). And a lot of the attention it received followed the U.S. release of The Good, The Bad and the Ugly at the end of '67 (which is a film which did have mainstream success on its initial release).

That's not to say A Fistful of Dollars wasn't successful---it was made for next to nothing and made far more than it cost to produce. But I guess I'm again at somewhat of a loss to figure out what you're actually trying to argue. You seem to be all over the place and are often arguing from miscomprehension of the subject matter. Are you still objecting to my original comments that Italian Westerns didn't have the breadth of expression that Hollywood Westerns have, or are you just trying to quibble minutiae to save face after having to admit to having no idea what an exploitation film is?

We Are Citizen
Apr 5, 2008

SubG posted:

Okay, sure. What's your point?

It seems to me that "Italian westerns are a subset of exploitation films" and "All Italian westerns are exploitation films" mean basically the same thing, and that the first statement can't be true if the second is false.

SubG posted:

Are you still objecting to my original comments that Italian Westerns didn't have the breadth of expression that Hollywood Westerns have

Yes. To be specific, my argument was that Italian westerns were less limited than American westerns, since Italians westerns weren't usually about the American West the same way American westerns were. I'm not saying that Italian westerns were by and large better films than American ones though, because that would be ridiculous.

I probably should have dropped the argument as soon as you clarified that you didn't include The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West in your statements about Italian westerns, since I agree that almost all Italian westerns not made by Leone were exploitation films with less breadth of expression than American westerns. The only thing left to argue about is whether A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More count as "real films" or "exploitation films."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

We Are Citizen posted:

It seems to me that "Italian westerns are a subset of exploitation films" and "All Italian westerns are exploitation films" mean basically the same thing, and that the first statement can't be true if the second is false.
That's silly even for a strawman.

We Are Citizen posted:

Yes. To be specific, my argument was that Italian westerns were less limited than American westerns, since Italians westerns weren't usually about the American West the same way American westerns were.
...which is to say, your argument is based on a baffling unfamiliarity with or misreading of the Hollywood Western. And Italian Westerns, for that matter.

We Are Citizen posted:

The only thing left to argue about is whether A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More count as "real films" or "exploitation films."
Although I'm not entirely sure I want to explore what you're hiding in that phrase `real films', I'm guessing this is just a false dichotomy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

drat, guess I opened up a big :can: here with an innocent question about Westerns.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, though. :)