Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

STACK OVERFLOW posted:

Got this from my buddy at a good price a couple days ago:

First 5-string and I love it. :D

Those Soundgear basses are really nice. Super low action. I miss the one I used to have. If I didn't already have too many basses, I would replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Lawl posted:

I think it'd be worth pointing out even though apple is pretty great (i love my macbook) you still might bump into pretty serious problems. For example early Leopard releases (as in retail ones) had a pretty serious bug involving audio interfaces and sound just not working, it's fixed now but there were a lot of angry people for a good 2 months.

I've been scouring the ableton forums and it looks like the macbook pro with the 2.2ghz processor is used by a lot of people with good results in the benchmarks and overall stability. I even saw a few specific posts of people with stable latencies below 10ms.

With the new macbooks announced today I'm hoping to see ebay prices start dropping. Right now the 2.2ghz goes for around $1,200, if I can get money together in a month or two hopefully that will come down to around $1,000.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Apple's keeping the 2.1 ghz Polycarbonate Macbook around as a low end model for $999.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

And if you don't care about the DVD Burner, you could get a refurb 2.1 with Combo Drive off store.apple.com for $849.

edit: or a refurb 2.2 with superdrive for $999

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
I think I'm going to pick up the RG 7321

I need something entry level and I already have a 5 string bass (esp ltd D-5) Which I love. But I'm pretty much just getting into guitar and besides playing my band mates poo poo (my house serves as the practice area which entitles me free reign on their poo poo) I don't have an extended knowledge of guitar. I do know that I need a 7 string for the range because I go into really low drop tunings (A-F#) and 6 strings with thick strings doesn't cut it. so basically is this a good idea?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Apple's keeping the 2.1 ghz Polycarbonate Macbook around as a low end model for $999.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook

And if you don't care about the DVD Burner, you could get a refurb 2.1 with Combo Drive off store.apple.com for $849.

edit: or a refurb 2.2 with superdrive for $999

From what I understand, the bus speeds and support aren't the same. Besides which I'm of the opinion that if you're saving up for something expensive, a 10-20% price difference isn't enough to justify not getting the better product.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Specs on the 2.2

Specs on the 2.1

They're both Santa Rosa with 800mhz buses, same ram speed, etc. Here's the difference:

quote:

Compared to the models each replaced, the MacBook "Early 2008 Core 2 Duo/Penryn" models are powered by modestly faster and more energy-efficient 45 nm "Penryn" processors -- compared to 65 nm "Merom" processors in the "Late 2007" series -- albeit with smaller 3 MB level 2 caches (compared to 4 MB).

Anyways I'm not trying to influence you one way or the other or anything, just pointing out that there are plenty of Macbooks under $1000 that you don't have to troll eBay for, including the exact one you were looking for. Apple refurbs are very high quality and have the same warranty as a normal new machine.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Agreed posted:

Big Muff is okay... but Pro Tone Monster fuzz starts at Big Muff and ends in a parallel universe where everything is a negative of itself and guitars eat people. :q:

(I want a Little Big Muff.)

Metal Muff helps me eat my roomates instruments for breakfast lunch dinner and midnight snack.

Also, that universe would be loving metal.

To contribute, someone broke a tone knob on my Epi LP Custom and spilled beer all over my roomates NORD LEAD loving SYNTH (runs around 1300 i'd say). Well i guess that wasnt really contributing now was it...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Demolisher posted:

I think I'm going to pick up the RG 7321

I need something entry level and I already have a 5 string bass (esp ltd D-5) Which I love. But I'm pretty much just getting into guitar and besides playing my band mates poo poo (my house serves as the practice area which entitles me free reign on their poo poo) I don't have an extended knowledge of guitar. I do know that I need a 7 string for the range because I go into really low drop tunings (A-F#) and 6 strings with thick strings doesn't cut it. so basically is this a good idea?

Yes definitely, but try and buy second hand if you can, and get an older one made in the korean factory. If not it will still be an awesome guitar. I had one before I got my RG1527 and to someone starting out you'd never know the difference. The only thing I will say is that you may want to replace the pickups down the line as the stock ones, as always with Ibanez, aren't very good. The neck is absolutely gorgeous though.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

Yes definitely, but try and buy second hand if you can, and get an older one made in the korean factory. If not it will still be an awesome guitar. I had one before I got my RG1527 and to someone starting out you'd never know the difference. The only thing I will say is that you may want to replace the pickups down the line as the stock ones, as always with Ibanez, aren't very good. The neck is absolutely gorgeous though.

Yea that's what Ive been hearing but that's a non issue as of now while I try to learn 7 strings and guitars in general. Now I just need to find a cheap heavy amp.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Nosir posted:

Metal Muff helps me eat my roomates instruments for breakfast lunch dinner and midnight snack.

Also, that universe would be loving metal.

Metal Muff is a nice pedal, no relation to the Big Muff though (while the Pro Tone Monster is a super souped up Big Muff). The Metal Muff shares "quite a bit" with the DOD/Digitech Grunge, actually. As in, "uses its clipping circuit part for part." Sounds a lot better than the Grunge in my opinion, thanks to totally different input/output and tone stack circuitry.

I think the Pro Tone Monster gets WAY more distortion than the Metal Muff, by the way - if you turn it up, you're pumping out square waves that spit and sputter, hiss and roar. It's pretty preposterous. I keep the Fuzz at or before noon to get a sound like a Big Muff on PCP, and the Big Muff's wife just left him so he's been doing steroids to try to get in shape at the gym to pick up some trampy ladies, but some shady motherfucker owes him a lot of money and he's about to pay that bastard a visit with a sledgehammer. That's the Pro Tone Monster sound before it hits half its gain.

Speaking of which, you should get the Pro Tone Monster to beat the hell out of the guy who spilled beer on the Nord. What. The. gently caress., man?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I got an amazing deal on this sweet piece of tone glory.

Stechschritt
Mar 29, 2007

KARLORE CAN FUCK ANYTHING!
Just finished assembling this.

It's a RG570DX neck with a 517 body. You cant tell because it's a wicked lovely camera, but it has 2 EMG 81s and an EMG SA, with a Floyd Rose Pro. It looks really metallic in person. Super Wizard necks are so sweet, its about as thin as a mouse's dick. The only thing left to do is get better pickup rings, or preferably a clear pickguard. Only thing about the pickguard is that it will have the nasty holes from the rings showing through.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Demolisher posted:

Now I just need to find a cheap heavy amp.

Peavey 5150

Deltron 3030
Jul 23, 2006

I submit that you took that baseball, stashed it in your unusually large vagina, and walked right on out of here!
Just got this in the mail today:

I've been drumming on tables and poo poo for years but this is my first actual drum (is it technically considered to be a drum or drums?). It's really fun so far, I've just gone over some basics and messed around but I'm really looking forward to learning how to play.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

For those of you who were curious about Guitar Rig 3, here's a clip I recorded before coming into town tonight.

I'm using the Rat pedal model into a customizable wah (seriously one of the coolest features ever, you can adjust everything about this, it is a total chameleon), then into the Hiwatt amp simulation with its "Matched Cabinet" (great feature), with an EQ after the amp. Effects are Quad Delay and Studio Reverb.

That's a distortion pedal at medium dirt into an overdriving amp, and I think it's a very authentic sound. It's a blast to play, the freedom is amazing and you craft patches that take you from ultra realistic guitar amp and effects modeling, to really out-there stuff that isn't even possible in the analog realm. I'll try to record some more patches that show off some of that variety, but I'm going to be pretty busy in the coming week or two. I may be able to get it done tomorrow, though. We'll see.

N8L0 posted:

I got an amazing deal on this sweet piece of tone glory.

Man, I could have bought that head sitting on top of two Ampeg V30 cabs for a mere loving $900 a few months back. I just didn't have the cash, but I wanted that full stack, so bad. How would I move it? I don't know. What would I do with it? No clue. But it NAILS the '80s Marshall sound, and then some, and those cabs sounded great. I can't believe I missed out on that. Congrats on a sweet head.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 17, 2008

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

Peavey 5150

We have different definitions of cheap :smith:.

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma
Hey, I've got a question for you guys about buying gear online. My bass amp is kind of going on the fritz and, while I'm going to get it looked at and HOPEFULLY get it fixed, are there any sites (besides MusiciansFriend) that are good places to get combo amps on a good deal? Kind of a rondomusic for amps?

Thanks.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

Trellio posted:

Hey, I've got a question for you guys about buying gear online. My bass amp is kind of going on the fritz and, while I'm going to get it looked at and HOPEFULLY get it fixed, are there any sites (besides MusiciansFriend) that are good places to get combo amps on a good deal? Kind of a rondomusic for amps?

Thanks.

I'd check out craigslist if I were you, maybe look up a music-go-round if theres one in your area. Other than that, music123.com and zzounds.com are the other two big online stores. How much are you looking to spend?

e: oh and what kind of music do you play?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Demolisher posted:

Try hitting up forums for your local music (metal/hardcore etc) scenes, round here they come up cheap all the time. There's a near-mint 6505 and cab going for $1700 australian and I would pull the trigger in a second if I wasn't broke.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Demolisher posted:

Hey its relatively cheap ok :v:

How cheap are you talking? You might be better off getting a modeller or something depending on your budget.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

It feels good to finally make a real post in this thread.

I finally bought the bullet and decided to hook myself up with a baseline home-recording setup for my horrible singer/songwriter poo poo.

Line 6 TonePort UX2 USB Recording/Modeling Interface

MXL MXL 990s Condenser Microphone

Also,

and

I'm really excited to finally be able to record mildly well at home, and not have to rely on friends and their gear to get something put down on disc. Real pics will come as soon as it all gets here!

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Engine Fortegue posted:

MXL MXL 990s Condenser Microphone

Why does it have that elastic cord stretched around the base?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Costello Jello posted:

Why does it have that elastic cord stretched around the base?

Its basically a shock absorber. The microphone is "floated" on elastic so that any vibrations that could come up through the mic stand dont get picked up on the microphone.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008
Theres something about a modeler that just says "Anything you record isnt going to sound as good as micing an amp with an SM57". At least that's what I say in my head. And Ive essentially come to terms that I cant just throw down 3-350 for a half stack haha, I think I will get the head and cab separately. Oh and I was looking at a 15 inch amp for guitar, too much low end?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Demolisher posted:

Theres something about a modeler that just says "Anything you record isnt going to sound as good as micing an amp with an SM57". At least that's what I say in my head. And Ive essentially come to terms that I cant just throw down 3-350 for a half stack haha, I think I will get the head and cab separately. Oh and I was looking at a 15 inch amp for guitar, too much low end?

Your head is wrong, with software modellers at least, and even the hardware modellers sound excellent, especially when you take the price into account.

Why would you want 15 inch speakers for guitar? 12 is fine and is what almost all guitar cabinets come fitted with.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Agreed, you know what would be really cool? If you modeled the hardware you actually have with your software and let us A/B Blind test it to see if anyone can actually tell the difference.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Specs on the 2.2

Specs on the 2.1

They're both Santa Rosa with 800mhz buses, same ram speed, etc. Here's the difference:

Anyways I'm not trying to influence you one way or the other or anything, just pointing out that there are plenty of Macbooks under $1000 that you don't have to troll eBay for, including the exact one you were looking for. Apple refurbs are very high quality and have the same warranty as a normal new machine.

Yes but that's comparing a macbook to a macbook, what about either compared to a macbook pro?

(other than 13" vs 15", which is actually a pretty big deal and something I'd be willing to pay extra for)

RivensBitch fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 17, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

RivensBitch posted:

Yes but that's comparing a macbook to a macbook, what about either compared to a macbook pro?

(other than 13" vs 15", which is actually a pretty big deal and something I'd be willing to pay extra for)

Macbook pro can have the 7200rpm hard drive, non pros are stuck with 5400.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Stux posted:

Your head is wrong, with software modellers at least, and even the hardware modellers sound excellent, especially when you take the price into account.

Why would you want 15 inch speakers for guitar? 12 is fine and is what almost all guitar cabinets come fitted with.

The Fender Twin Custom 15 is incredible, you should try it. The low end is full, the tone is very responsive, and it takes overdrives like no other amp can. If you're a blues, jazz, or fusion player, that amp is killer. It's killer for everything else, too, but it doesn't really take heavier distortions very well (kind of flabby because of the 15).

Demolisher posted:

You can get killer guitar tone from anything. It's cliche, but up to a point, it really is the player not the gear. If you are planning on recording a home studio project, modelers should be just fine, assuming you take the time to make good tones (presets are terrible). If you want awesome miced tone, you don't need to buy a half stack. Just get a really good closed back 1 or 2x12 (recommend: Avatar). If you are playing heavier distortion stuff, you're going to want to close mic anyway so additional speakers really aren't necessary. If you're set on getting an amp, just buy a Blue Voodoo (used, I'm going to get crap for this recommendation) or a Bugera, if you need cheaper, don't waste your money, wait till you can afford what you really want.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

You can get killer guitar tone from anything. It's cliche, but up to a point, it really is the player not the gear. If you are planning on recording a home studio project, modelers should be just fine, assuming you take the time to make good tones (presets are terrible). If you want awesome miced tone, you don't need to buy a half stack. Just get a really good closed back 1 or 2x12 (recommend: Avatar). If you are playing heavier distortion stuff, you're going to want to close mic anyway so additional speakers really aren't necessary. If you're set on getting an amp, just buy a Blue Voodoo (used, I'm going to get crap for this recommendation) or a Bugera, if you need cheaper, don't waste your money, wait till you can afford what you really want.

Thanks for the input, I'm thinking about getting the toneport ux2, the one from a little above after hearing some good things, and I think that will be good for now.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Stux posted:

Macbook pro can have the 7200rpm hard drive, non pros are stuck with 5400.

From Apple, sure, but the non-Aluminum Macbooks were ridiculously easy to change hard drives in.

The Pro gives you one step newer / faster of processor, a larger screen, FW800 vs. 400, express card slot, and dedicated video. For audio stuff a Santa Rosa 2.2 Macbook Pro and Macbook will perform identically. Both the 2.2 Macbook and the 2.2 Pro have 4MB of cache, and an 800mhz FSB, so it's just whether the big screen and dedicated video are worth paying for to you.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I'm looking into another guitar 4x12 to make my setup a full stack :buddy:.

The only thing holding me back,(other than the insane cost of Mesa's and Marshall's)is how to set it up.

My head runs on either 4, 8, or 16 ohms with a minimum of 4.

My cab runs on 4, or 16 mono and 8 stereo.

I know that to run a half stack I need to match the head and cab(4 to 4, 16 to 16), does the same principal apply to full stacks?

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Not too worried about the hard drive as most of what I'm doing relies on realtime processing, and externals are always easy to add on. Besides which I'm sure a 7200 RPM hard drive will shorten the battery life, which would be important when using the laptop for non audio stuff.

However the expresscard and firewire options are enough to make me go with the pro. Since I'm using a firewire audio interface, and a firewire powercore processor, I may need more than one firewire bus in which case either the 800/400 split would accommodate, or adding an expresscard would.

I also would prefer the 15" display, and the aluminum build vs plastic. Seems well worth the $100-$200 difference.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pirateparty posted:

I'm looking into another guitar 4x12 to make my setup a full stack :buddy:.

The only thing holding me back,(other than the insane cost of Mesa's and Marshall's)is how to set it up.

My head runs on either 4, 8, or 16 ohms with a minimum of 4.

My cab runs on 4, or 16 mono and 8 stereo.

I know that to run a half stack I need to match the head and cab(4 to 4, 16 to 16), does the same principal apply to full stacks?

Get an avatar, the build quality and the price are so much better than mesa and marshall these days. (2nd avatar recommendation in one day, I swear I'm not paid by them, they're just really awesome)

It depends on how you run the cabs, if you are running out of the head then you want to match impedances on the amp's speaker outs. If you're daisy chaining then you need to find out how everything is hooked up (series or parallel) and do some basic math to make sure you don't break anything. Most amps are fine running into a higher load, it gets really bad when you try and run into a lower one than the amp can handle.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Thanks for the recommendation, I'm looking into them now.

I have a Peavey Valveking and it says the speaker outputs(2 of em') are paralleled, and I figure I should just run one into each cab right?

Would 16 ohms out into two 16 ohm mono cabs work? As in: 16 out, 16 in, 16 in?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pirateparty posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'm looking into them now.

I have a Peavey Valveking and it says the speaker outputs(2 of em') are paralleled, and I figure I should just run one into each cab right?

Would 16 ohms out into two 16 ohm mono cabs work? As in: 16 out, 16 in, 16 in?

No.

2 16 ohm cabs in parallel is an 8 ohm load. If there's a switch on the amp, set it to 8 ohms.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

RivensBitch posted:

Not too worried about the hard drive as most of what I'm doing relies on realtime processing, and externals are always easy to add on. Besides which I'm sure a 7200 RPM hard drive will shorten the battery life, which would be important when using the laptop for non audio stuff.

However the expresscard and firewire options are enough to make me go with the pro. Since I'm using a firewire audio interface, and a firewire powercore processor, I may need more than one firewire bus in which case either the 800/400 split would accommodate, or adding an expresscard would.

I also would prefer the 15" display, and the aluminum build vs plastic. Seems well worth the $100-$200 difference.

But hard drive speed would be pretty important in a live situation, real time accessing of samples etc is pretty dependant on the hard drive. Also it would make little to no difference to battery life.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Stux posted:

But hard drive speed would be pretty important in a live situation, real time accessing of samples etc is pretty dependant on the hard drive. Also it would make little to no difference to battery life.

Can't you just choose to store the samples in RAM? That way the RPM won't suffer that much and 5400 is fast enough to load a lot of samples/loops very quickly. I know Kontakt let's you choose if you want Direct-From-Disk (DFD) mode or if you want to store in RAM. Dunno about Ableton Live, but given its original purpose, this is most likely implemented since v1.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

The Fog posted:

Can't you just choose to store the samples in RAM? That way the RPM won't suffer that much and 5400 is fast enough to load a lot of samples/loops very quickly. I know Kontakt let's you choose if you want Direct-From-Disk (DFD) mode or if you want to store in RAM. Dunno about Ableton Live, but given its original purpose, this is most likely implemented since v1.

Samples/VSTs/whatever are loaded into ram anyway when you load them up, its if you load them during a live session or run out of RAM. If you fill up your RAM then obviously stuff starts getting loaded direct from the hard drive. Then of course you have all the incidental effects with OS booting, stuff like that. Its a small cost increase for quite a few benefits and no real downsides v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Stux posted:

Samples/VSTs/whatever are loaded into ram anyway when you load them up, its if you load them during a live session or run out of RAM. If you fill up your RAM then obviously stuff starts getting loaded direct from the hard drive. Then of course you have all the incidental effects with OS booting, stuff like that. Its a small cost increase for quite a few benefits and no real downsides v:shobon:v

Yeah, you make a good point and I agree with that. Personally, I went for a 7200 for the same reasons you just stated, but if given the choice between more RAM and a faster HD, I'd always go with the RAM. If my RAM can hold 3.5GB (in XP) then that's more than enough to stream 16 bit WAV files for several hours.