Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here's a quick tip for anyone starting out on Dead Space, as soon as you get the starting weapon hit the Secondary Fire button to change its firing pattern from vertical to horizontal. It makes it much easier to dismember limbs with that gun.

Also you can stomp on those green boxes with the little light on them to get extra health/ammo/credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bouchacha posted:

I like checking out the Let's Play thread for advice exactly like this. The Wasteland LP had some good tips:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2408289

Crap. Requires an archive account. Thanks though.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

zrrgin posted:

I have never played Master of Orion 2 (never could find the drat thing). Today, I found it at a used bookstore, so any advice before I install would be great (I have played the first one, and sadly the third one as well).

Easy mode is Omniscient, Telapathic and Creative.

Wesley Walker
Nov 12, 2006

Morpheus posted:

SH4 - Don't take the loving doll. Seriously. Don't do it. Leave it there.

I just read the LP for 4, I've never played it myself, and I remember him calling people who didn't pick up the doll pussies but I don't remember an explanation or follow up to that. What does the doll do exactly?

Silent Hill: Homecoming

Unless you've read the thread, you are going to be frustrated by the combat system. It has a pretty tangible learning curve. You have to learn the attack patterns of each individual monster as well as which of your weapons is most effective to kill it through trial and error. Until you learn these things, you will take a LOT of damage in combat. Just be prepared to be frustrated and know that it gets easier.

Also, resist the temptation to just wail away on dudes because that's how you'd do it in real life. The melee in this game is much more about controlled combos and reactions.

Wesley Walker fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Oct 20, 2008

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The doll makes a new haunting appear over your box non-stop. It is wasteful using candles to fix it.

Awesome Andy
Feb 18, 2007

All the spoils of a wasted life

fett_72 posted:

I just read the LP for 4, I've never played it myself, and I remember him calling people who didn't pick up the doll pussies but I don't remember an explanation or follow up to that. What does the doll do exactly?

Your apartment gets infected with ghosts and it can be a bitch to constantly lose health and you're almost guranteed a bad ending.
But it's much more fun and adds to the tension.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

zrrgin posted:

I have never played Master of Orion 2 (never could find the drat thing). Today, I found it at a used bookstore, so any advice before I install would be great (I have played the first one, and sadly the third one as well).

- Tech trading is really really useful. For this reason, don't take Repulsive, and try to stay friends with everyone right up until you backstab them like the space scum you are.
- Creative is the best attribute, even after the last patch made it more expensive. It's also fun, and lets you try out more things in one playthrough.
- Pressing the Z key during battle does superfast autocombat. You'll thank me after you've tried to sit through a 200 vs 200-ship battle royale.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I was going to try to put something together for Mother 3, but I can't think of much one would need to know that isn't already apparent from playing the game, especially since the vast majority of its new players have played EarthBound. There are really only a few things I can think of...

· The scroll-down speed for character HP is slower than that of EarthBound, which allows a lot more balls-to-the-wall attacks, even when you know a character's mortally wounded.
· You don't have to hoard healing items in this game, as its NPCs will remind you. If you just use them as you go, you should be more than fine.
· There's no penalty for dying and respawning for the first four chapters, but there is in Chapter 5 on. It's the same penalty as in Breath of Fire I, but in this game you can counteract that by putting all your money in the bank, where it will be unaffected by a Game Over.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Civilization 4: Colonization

- Centralize production. Have one mega coastal city that all other cities send their raw materials to for processing and export. Learn to use the automated wagons and you'll spend very little time micro-managing and your economy will run itself.

- Don't start producing ANY Liberty Bells until mid to late game. The Royal Expeditionary Force gets really big really fast, you want to rush yourself to revolution all at once instead of slowly to minimize their size.

- Musketmen for defense, cannons and dragoons for attack. It might be helpful to load up the cities you expect the fighting to take place with musketmen, and hold your dragoons and cannons back to counter-attack after the enemy damages itself against your cities walls.

- The REF comes as soon as you declare independence. The Constitution choices are largely irrelevant as there is no down-time before you are invaded.

- Don't be afraid to attack other colonies in the very early game. It will permanently cripple that colony, and you can get a free Pioneer out of it usually. The AI always settles its soldier, not its pioneer, making it defenseless to your explorers.

EverQuest 2

- If playing as Evil or Neutral, start your character in Gorowyn. If playing as Good, start whereever you like but skip the newbie zone and run your newbie butt to Gorowyn if you think you can manage it. The starting quests there are the most interesting and rewarding all the way to level 20 of all the beginning zones.

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 24, 2008

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

CloseFriend posted:

Mother 3

Don't forget about the rhythm battle system. If you tap the A (or L) button in time to the music (which varies from enemy to enemy) while performing a normal attack, you can rack up extra hits, up to a maximum of 16 hits total. You can hear the beat you need to match better by putting the enemy to sleep, which lets you hear its "heartbeat", as the game calls it.

The rhythm battle system isn't necessary to use, but a full combo does 2-3x as much damage as a single hit, and it's quite useful earlier in the game, even before the game tells you about it. (It's useful later as well, but the beats are harder to match.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CloseFriend posted:

Mother 3

-Try and tap the A button to the beat of the battle music as your characters attack. This is pretty hard sometimes. You can use Duster's Hypno-pendulum to make the beat easier to hear, though. You will also get something in Chapter 2 that lets you practice this.
-Go back to Osohe Castle at the beginning of Chapter 5 and go as far as you can go. There is a secret boss there that will get you some helpful swag.

I don't remember any other Guide Dangit moments, but feel free to add more.

zrrgin posted:

Master of Orion 2

-The hardest AI civs are the Sakkra and Silicoid. The Trilarians and Psilons can get bad too, but they are generally friendly.
-Your weapons get additional mods as you tech up, so check back on older weapons to see if they're better than new weapons. Load up small ships with missiles (Nuclear missiles equipped with MIRV are optimal) instead of beam weapons. I forget the reason why, but I think it's because your targeting computers blow in the early game. You can also tech up for armor piercing, autofiring Mass Drivers.
-If you're making a race, never invest in +Farming. Toward the end of the game, a couple colonies can provide food for your entire empire without too much effort.
-If you steal an enemy ship and scrap it, you get their sweet, sweet tech. This holds especially true for the Antarans. However, even the smallest Antaran ship is going to put up a hell of a fight against being captured, and I think they self destruct the second they're disabled.
-You will probably come back to this game on and off again for at least the next 10 years.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
I just thought of another one for Mother 3:

Don't underestimate the usefulness of Duster's Wall Staples (stun) and Hypno-pendulum (sleep). If the staples hit, the enemy will lose at least one round of action, and that can be incredibly useful in boss fights. Boney's Sniff ability is useful too, as it shows you the enemy type and weaknesses.

Kaji
Oct 30, 2002

The Crossdressing Cop with the .45
I really thought that Warhammer: Mark of Chaos was pretty fun to play... if you can tolerate the excruciatingly long load times.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

CloseFriend posted:

Mother 3

Additionally, defending makes the HP meter roll even slower, so if you have someone near death, defending helps keep them alive long enough for a heal.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Bioshock:

- Die. Die a lot. Unless you turned off the Vita Chambers, there's ultimately no real penalty for dying other than a lot of backtracking. This is both a good and a bad thing; it's great when you're stuck in a situation you can't possibly get out of, but it's bad when you get lazy and don't want to fight those drat security robots so you let them kill you.

- You don't really need anything other than the wrench. That doesn't mean you should use it exclusively; you can almost beat the entire game with just the wrench, but it's much more fun if you play around with your powers.

- Play around with plasmids to see what works best for you. The generally accepted 'best way to kill something easily' is the Electro Shock -> Wrench combo, but again, play around to see what you enjoy.

- Pay close attention to your surroundings, and play in the dark if possible. The game's much better that way.

- Don't be afraid to burn through ammo. You'll end the game with nearly complete clips anyway, so you might as well go out in a blaze of bullet glory.

- Research as early as you can and as often as you can. Make sure you have enough film to fill the camera. Equip Photographer's Eye 1 and Photographer's Eye 2 to get a +25 bonus to taking pictures, then snap pictures until the game won't let you photograph an enemy any more. Then go find a new one and photograph him. The game gets much easier the more research you do, especially if you research turrets and security robots.

- Don't kill Sander Cohen when he comes down the stairs. Just don't. You can do it later. But if you have to, make sure to photograph him.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Spaceboy posted:

Bioshock:
- You don't really need anything other than the wrench. That doesn't mean you should use it exclusively; you can almost beat the entire game with just the wrench, but it's much more fun if you play around with your powers.

There are plasmids and tonics that make the wrench the most powerful weapon in the game. Might not use it on the final boss or Big Daddies, but everything else dies in a hurry.

Spaceboy posted:

Bioshock:
- Research as early as you can and as often as you can. Make sure you have enough film to fill the camera. Equip Photographer's Eye 1 and Photographer's Eye 2 to get a +25 bonus to taking pictures, then snap pictures until the game won't let you photograph an enemy any more. Then go find a new one and photograph him. The game gets much easier the more research you do, especially if you research turrets and security robots.
There's a tonic that makes you invisible if you don't move for a couple of seconds. This helps a lot when doing the research photography. Try to place yourself near where the enemies path through, and you can take lots of good close-ups when they walk by.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bart Fargo posted:

There are plasmids and tonics that make the wrench the most powerful weapon in the game. Might not use it on the final boss or Big Daddies, but everything else dies in a hurry.

There's a tonic that makes you invisible if you don't move for a couple of seconds. This helps a lot when doing the research photography. Try to place yourself near where the enemies path through, and you can take lots of good close-ups when they walk by.

The plasmid that makes enemies trip security alarms (or just hacking cameras and drones) is your friend when you are doing research. You cant phontograph friendly drones, but I believe drones summoned by a friendly camera are still technically neutral. They turn up, fight the splicers, and you stand there invisible, snapping away. That way you get bonuses for action shots (they are fighting), and for "Multiple targets" (assuming you manage to get a splicer and the drone they are fighting in the same frame).

Hypnotising big daddies can be used in a similar way, but there are less opportunities to do that, and the fights tend to be a lot shorter.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Here's a fun one I discovered:

Star Ocean: First Departure

Do not go into the Abandoned Mine!

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I
GTA IV:

Starting a new mission resets your wanted meter

Low on health during a mission and don't want to repeat it again? Retreat from the battle, Hit start, set a waypoint to the weapons shop + food place. Hitch a ride in the nearest taxi, and hit a to skip the cutscene. Once you are stocked up, hitch a final taxi setting the waypoint to the best spot to attack your enemies.

Being shot at but don't know where its coming from. Switch to the assault rifle, and it'll auto-lock on most targets, even behind walls.

The quickest ways to win missions are to use the RPG on mass groups, or the sniper rifle if you only need to kill a single enemy. You can often do this so far away from the enemy base you'll instantly win the mission, have 0 star wanted, and suffer no retaliation.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Very useful thread. Kindly requesting STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl, Vampire: Bloodlines and Europa 1400: The Guild. I'd also like to know which mods are required for a first playthrough.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Ornamented Death posted:

Here's a fun one I discovered:

Star Ocean: First Departure

Do not go into the Abandoned Mine!

Or if you do, take out your UMD after getting in there. The game won't load any random encounters. Reinsert the UMD when you get to a new area, repeat. It's a good way to get some neat items early in the game.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Spaceboy posted:

- Don't kill Sander Cohen when he comes down the stairs. Just don't. You can do it later. But if you have to, make sure to photograph him.

Could anyone explain what happens if you kill Cohen at either of the oppurtunities? I left him alive both times I ran into him but I'm really curious as to whether you get any cool loot and how tough he is to take down.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Great read so far.

How about Supreme Commander for the 360? Playing part way through the first mission was painful and it just feels like I'm missing something.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Mainwaring posted:

Could anyone explain what happens if you kill Cohen at either of the oppurtunities? I left him alive both times I ran into him but I'm really curious as to whether you get any cool loot and how tough he is to take down.

If I recall correctly, when you kill him, you get a key to one of the domes in the area you first meet him which has a small treasure chest inside. The loot from that isn't anything special. But if you wait and kill him later, he has a key to his apartment on him, which I believe contains an audio log, some plasmid, and an achievement.

Either way, you get an achievement for taking a picture of his corpse, so be sure to do that.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bouchacha posted:

Very useful thread. Kindly requesting STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl, Vampire: Bloodlines and Europa 1400: The Guild. I'd also like to know which mods are required for a first playthrough.

For Vampire: Bloodlines:

Make sure you don't ignore your combat skills. Even if you want to play a diplomatic or sneaky character, you still want to have at least one combat stat at 9-10 by the end of the game. There's a lot of unavoidable fighting.

Download and install one of the unofficial patches from Wesp. They fix a lot of bugs that were present in the last official version. It doesn't matter which Wesp patch you get as long as it's 4.x or 5.x--he's releasing a new version every month or so, and the newest ones don't do much besides move some stuff around.

Your life will be a lot easier with decent lockpicking skill. However, you don't need to get it up above 8--you'll always be able to use Blood Buff to get it to 10 and pick any lock in the game.

Similarly, Persuasion 9 is the highest necessary to make all the skill checks, and even then, you only need 9 for a minor sidequest in the Giovanni mansion. Get it to 9 before then, or just leave it at 8.

Firearms SUCK early on. The revolver is pretty much worthless, even against human opponents, even if you have decent firearm skill. Even if you plan on playing a gunfighter, it's never a waste to put some early points in Unarmed to get through the start, since you'll use Unarmed when trying to feed on enemies during combat. Don't worry, the guns are MUCH more effective once you get to the third city section. Also, don't tattle on Mercurio--he's the source for the best guns in the game.

There's a quest dealing with a plague in the second section of the city. The boss you'll eventually fight will be really tough if you take him on as soon as you can, especially if your combat skills aren't up to snuff. You'll have a much easier time if you wait till the better guns I mentioned become available, or your character starts to become a powerhouse.

Enable the console. There are a few bugs you might need to use noclip to get past. Also, consider noclipping the sewer dungeon if it drives you nuts.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Arcsech posted:

If I recall correctly, when you kill him, you get a key to one of the domes in the area you first meet him which has a small treasure chest inside. The loot from that isn't anything special. But if you wait and kill him later, he has a key to his apartment on him, which I believe contains an audio log, some plasmid, and an achievement.

You also get access to another weapons upgrade station, that you need if you want all weapons upgraded by endgame.

STALKER: Shadows of Chernobyl: You have to aim using iron sights if you're more than a metre away from someone. Save often. I would reccomend the Oblivion Lost mod if you absolutely HAVE to mod it on your first playthrough, but stay away from AMK until you've completed it once, as it's hard enough the first time wihtout getting your gun shot out of your hands every 5 minutes. Oh, also, getting the mods removes the 'good' ending from the game, as it turns the endgame into a sandbox.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Arcsech posted:

Either way, you get an achievement for taking a picture of his corpse, so be sure to do that.

There is also a weapon upgrade station that you need to get for the "Upgrade all weapons" achievement.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I really liked Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, so this weekend I ordered the two sequels, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones, planning on vegitating with one Thursday after a rough few weeks. I'm not really in the mood for angst, so I was thinking of just playing Warrior Within with some music playing over it unless I can play them out of order without missing too much or something. How do I go for maximum fun with this thing before I have to start working again Friday in time for Halloween :smithicide:?

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

yook posted:

I really liked Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, so this weekend I ordered the two sequels, Warrior Within and The Two Thrones, planning on vegitating with one Thursday after a rough few weeks. I'm not really in the mood for angst, so I was thinking of just playing Warrior Within with some music playing over it unless I can play them out of order without missing too much or something. How do I go for maximum fun with this thing before I have to start working again Friday in time for Halloween :smithicide:?

Warrior Within is a good game, but for the love of God, go into the Settings and turn down that lovely music before you even start playing unless you're a big Godsmack fan. Beneath all the layers of pubescent sulking and black eyeliner, it's still a Prince of Persia game at heart and you'll enjoy it.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
Dead Space
    * You can use literally the first gun you get for the entire game, upgrade it's damage ASAP and sell virtually everything you run into that isn't ammo / health
    * Generally it's a good idea to keep around 75-100 ammo for the first gun and around 2-3 health kits and atleast 1 canister of air for emergencies, sell everything else
    * The bank is nearly useless, don't worry about it unless you feel the need to stockpile extra health and other goodies (though it is largely unnecessary)
    * Upgrade your weapon first, then rig, then everything else, you will get more than enough to upgrade everything using only 1 weapon in a single play through if you're thorough and sell what you don't need to buy more power modules
    * When in doubt refer to the games thread, there are a few puzzles that can stump people

Warhammer Online: Age Of Reckoning
    * Go to your options and turn on anonymous & hidden, it will reduce bot spam
    * Look for a addon called spam me not, makes bot spam completely irrelevant by blocking 100% of it
    * You get your mount at rank 20 in your capitol city, it will cost you 15g
    * ALWAYS queue for scenarios, it's the fastest xp in the game by far
    * In scenarios as a dps class, leave a party and join your own, preferably with a dedicated healer, you will make considerably more experience. (some people whine about this, ignore them)
    * Talisman making is worthless (at the time of writing), use apothecary, preferably with cultivating
    * There are unique titles / achievements and tome unlocks that you cannot get once you out level the tier 1 and tier 2 maps, be aware of this and consider looking up tome of knowledge unlocks as you get close to leveling out of those areas (23 and 33 respectively), check https://www.tomeofspoilers.com for more info on unlocks or check the thread in MMO HMO.
    * When taking objectives in world pvp, you get 200 renown for taking it, and another 200 for defending it after 3 minutes, ALWAYS defend the objectives until they reach the TAKEN status, after which they are invulnerable for a short period.
    * By taking world pvp objectives, you increase your realms control over a given map/tier, the bar on top of your radar displays this, when a realm controls the tier they are given nice bonuses, try to help your realm keep control of tiers as much as possible.
    * On the map when you see an explosion icon, that indicates world pvp in an area and is triggered by pvp deaths, the bigger the icon, the more pvp action in the area.

Dynasty Warriors
You can kill Lu Bu, just don't try it until you're amazing with your chosen character and have them heavily upgraded.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 28, 2008

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Zenodice posted:

Dead Space

Also for Dead Space:
    * Stomp on every corpse you come across. If you don't know why, you will learn soon.
    * Do NOT use your melee attack unless absolutely necessary. It should be a last resort only.
    * If you're running out of ammo too quickly, try carrying fewer guns. The game drops ammo based on the guns in your inventory, so two guns = twice as much usable ammo as four guns. Find your favourites and stick with them.
    * If you run away from necromorphs, they will find a way into the room you're hiding in. They don't need to use doors.
    * Every gun starts out feeling underpowered and useless, but becomes a ruthless death machine when fully upgraded (with the possible exception of the flamethrower).
    * Make slow, careful progress through the levels. If you rush in blindly, you will die a LOT.
    * Save often and in different slots, it's possible to get yourself into an impossible situation and it's a good idea to have an earlier save to revert to.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Ashenai posted:

- Creative is the best attribute, even after the last patch made it more expensive. It's also fun, and lets you try out more things in one playthrough.

Creative is useful for the first couple of playthroughs when you don't know what you're doing, but it really isn't that useful. Most of the time there's not really much problem choosing the best tech (or planning ahead if you know it'll be easily replaced), and it definitely isn't worth dropping, say, Unification or Tolerant for (or both, they're an excellent combination).

As mentioned, missile ships are excellent to start off with. Make them only have 2 lots of missiles rather than 5, you can fit more on. Sure they'll be the occasional battle where you're left with ships with no weapons left on them but a lot of the time you can turn a narrow victory into a decisive one if you up your alpha strike.

Finally: build housing. When making new colonies, ship out 3-5 guys from one of your larger colonies to get the colony on its feet as a high population brings victory and two colonies growing very quickly is better than one colony growing slowly.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 28, 2008

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Bouchacha posted:

We may have covered vampires already, but:

Get the 1.2 patch, then choose between the unofficial patches. There is basically one that keeps everything as it was, another that changes parts of the game to "make more sense" according to the creator. You NEED an unofficial patch for one killer bug, and otherwise it increases stability.

Male or female really doesn't seem to matter, even with the seduction skill.

Don't play malkavians first time through, you won't understand anything (your mad character doesn't make sense when they talk, good luck understanding what's going on sometimes) or Necrarches, because they're special and drat ugly. The more "generic" clans are probably your best bet.

Firing ability improves your accuracy and damage amount, so without having skill in firing, you really can't use most guns effectively as your melee choice. If you kick rear end in most FPS's, remember this is mainly a RPG, most weapons don't do headshots, sometimes even counting headshots as a partial hits.

Pick one: fists, melee weapons, or guns, don't try putting skills into all.

Lockpicking and hacking are needed to and pass all missions, unless you cheat, so take your pick, as having both at once is difficult.

Also, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been stickied.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 29, 2008

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

I've just started Final Fantasy 5 (SNES) and want to know how to not screw myself over via the job system. What are some good paths to take?

Right now, my party has just got the first load of crystals and I have them at job level 1:
Butz - knight
Lenna - blue mage
Galuf - monk
Faris - thief

...and I've just realised that I have no white mage. I'm going for a fairly balanced approach, but don't know which jobs complement each other.
I'm thinking of keeping Butz as a fighter of some sort, and maybe adding some token white skills like Cecil has in FF2/4.
Lenna will probably stay as a mage, but I haven't decided whether to add white, black, or something else. I like blue mage/enemy skill stuff, but so far I haven't learnt poo poo. How do I use this properly?
Galuf - I have no idea. Monk seemed cool at the time but I don't know what works well with it.
Faris - as above. Maybe an archer or some kind of oddball class?

I always get like this when so much choice is laid in front of me - I think it's related to RPG pack-rat syndrome where I have to force myself to use ethers and suchlike. Any help would be appreciated.

Crazy Achmed fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 29, 2008

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer

Crazy Achmed posted:

Final Fantasy 5

Use a guide to find all the blue magic as you go. Used correctly, Blue Magic is almost always an overpowered mechanic in FF games. In the early game, a Red Mage will probably be enough for your healing needs. I don't think Steal is really all that useful, and dash is kind of unnecessary if you're on an emulator, since you can just up the speed a little. So maybe switch Faris over to a Red Mage and see how that works?

Space Flyman
May 21, 2007

BATMAN HE WILL CATCH ALL BADDY!
Doom

The shotgun is your bestest friend in the whole wide world.

sexual rickshaw
Jul 17, 2001

I AM A SOCIALIST COMMUNIST MARXIST FASCIST FREEDOM-HATING NAZI LIBERAL CZAR!
Well, this isn't my first time to play Persona 2: Eternal Punishment, but it's been a drat long time since I've played it (and I lost my 40+ hour save on it, goddamnit) - and I have one thing that's stopping me on any progress (I'm only back up to entering the Psych Ward or whatever it's called) - Persona choice, I know it plays a LOT into making the game easy/difficult (as I'm no stranger to the SMT games), as I'm one of those weirdos that has to have a decent outlook on what I have available, or my mind just freezes up and quits. So what should I be on the lookout for, Persona wise through the early game?

Crazy Achmed posted:

I've just started Final Fantasy 5 (SNES) and want to know how to not screw myself over via the job system. What are some good paths to take?

Right now, my party has just got the first load of crystals and I have them at job level 1:
Butz - knight
Lenna - blue mage
Galuf - monk
Faris - thief

...and I've just realised that I have no white mage. I'm going for a fairly balanced approach, but don't know which jobs complement each other.
I'm thinking of keeping Butz as a fighter of some sort, and maybe adding some token white skills like Cecil has in FF2/4.
Lenna will probably stay as a mage, but I haven't decided whether to add white, black, or something else. I like blue mage/enemy skill stuff, but so far I haven't learnt poo poo. How do I use this properly?
Galuf - I have no idea. Monk seemed cool at the time but I don't know what works well with it.
Faris - as above. Maybe an archer or some kind of oddball class?

I always get like this when so much choice is laid in front of me - I think it's related to RPG pack-rat syndrome where I have to force myself to use ethers and suchlike. Any help would be appreciated.

On my playthroughs of FF5, I've always tried to keep a balance of spellcasters/fighters in my party at the start - you can start mixing it up once you gain some skill levels with classes - which I've never kept a person on a job until they mastered it at the beginning, as it takes WAY too long (and it still does until you hit the final dungeon when stuff just bleeds AP). I always kept a person up to date on their white magic skill, as that was invaluable (even if I stuck it on a class like a monk or warrior), not so much on black/time/blue magic though, as I found out that the only time spell I really used was haste, and then quick once I bought it, and with blue, well, Mighty Guard. Black is useful in some fights (and absolutely required for one fight late in the game). All in all, it's pretty drat hard to gently caress yourself over in FF5. Also, Monk is one of the best damage dealing classes in the game, and once mastered, the base class gains the counter skill - which is drat useful.

sexual rickshaw fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 30, 2008

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Final Fantasy 5
- Learn L5 Death in the Ancient Library. I think Page 128 uses it and to learn it the blue mage needs to get hit by it (and die) then get revived before the battle ends.

- Learn Doom Claw when escaping from the fire castle after the Fire Ship. The boss uses it and it paralyzes the target and it brings their HP into the single digits range. It even works on some bosses!

- When you reach the first castle in FF5, go into its basement. Its filled with statues who are vulnerable to L5 Death and give you the most AP at that point in the game. Great time to grind classes!

- Mastering Hunter gives you RapidFire which is 4 attacks at half damage and perfect accuracy.

- Near the end of the game in the town outside the forest you get the choice to get a Brave Sword (gets stronger the more fights you win) and the Chicken Knife (gets stronger as you run away more). Take the Chicken Knife, the Brave Sword gets weaker when you run away but the Chicken Knife doesn't and its damage calculation takes Speed and Strength into account. Its the best weapon of the game!

- Bare/Freelancer get the passive abilities of all classes you've mastered with few exceptions (like AutoBerserk) and the highest base stats of any mastered classes. So if you master Monk and Knight, the Bare class gets the best stats out of both classes and all passive abilities the class has, like MaxHP+30%.

orange lime
Jul 24, 2008

by Fistgrrl
I'm surprised that everyone had so much trouble with Homeworld 2. I beat the single-player pretty easily, and in the unpatched version too. I had some trouble with the first level that had the Keepers in it, and it probably took me 10 tries to beat the level where the Vaygr are destroying the power generators on the warp gate or whatever it is and you have to stop them -- but it really wasn't that bad.

Just be careful with your ships and take it slow (yes, it is drat tedious at times, especially the level where you have to stay hidden in a dust cloud), move everything in one group and always defend your resource operations. And always upgrade your ships as soon as the upgrade appears (armor especially). By the time I was halfway through the game I had such a massive armada that I just kind of drifted up to the enemies and slaughtered them without actually thinking about it.

Also the last level is really easy, just station interceptors where the planet killer missiles pass through before they enter the atmosphere, then slowly take Sajuuk back and forth to kill the platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
FF5
Berserkers are broken.
In a good way. Nearly any fight you're having trouble with can be won by throwing caution into the wind.