Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My [nearly] finished pedal board (gotta get some velcro tomorrow). I modded the DS1 to a hybrid between Brian Wampler's "Vintage" and "Modern" mods. I also used a blue LED and moved it to the O in TONE like Keeley does, only because I like the way it looks and lights when I'm playing. Modded out the TS9 with orange drops and a JRC4558. Other than that theres a Pitchblack tuner, Small Clone, Fasel Crybaby, ernie ball volume pedal and a DD-6.

Picked this up off Ebay for a steal. It's just a MIM strat with Lace Sensors (silver silver blue). I replaced the pickguard (which was white pearloid, very :iamafag: ) to mint green and dyed the knobs in coffee, I'm going to replace the tuners with some sperzels I have lying around and the bridge with a Wilkinson full steel block with bent steel saddles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.

My new pride and joy, and it was a steal! It retails for $2100, but I got it for $899 with an ATA-type case. It came loaded with the Deluxe, Treadplate and Plexi modules. I'd like to get rid of the Deluxe and Plexi though for a Blackface or KH-1 and an SL+ or 1086. Though, I've been thinking that if I just put a TS-9 on the Plexi, it might do just what I want the SL+ to do... Maybe...

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Stux posted:

But hard drive speed would be pretty important in a live situation, real time accessing of samples etc is pretty dependant on the hard drive. Also it would make little to no difference to battery life.

Yes but since I'm probably not going to find a macbook pro with a 7200rpm hard drive in my price range, it's a moot point. Either way I'd have to upgrade the internal or add an external.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Got an M-Audio KeyStudio 49 at the Apple Store today for $30 after gift card

I'm overjoyed at this thing :buddy:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Zakalwe posted:

Agreed, you know what would be really cool? If you modeled the hardware you actually have with your software and let us A/B Blind test it to see if anyone can actually tell the difference.

That's a good idea, but I only have some overlapping hardware/software. Still, I can probably match whatever sounds my amps can make with this software, and I could post clips and ask which users prefer. That might be interesting. I'd do it in its own thread, of course.

The only problem is that I don't have a two channel mic preamp, and I really would prefer to dual-mic, as it's hard to get a decent high gain recording with just one mic. I always use multiple mic/speaker options in modelers for the same reason.

Did anyone listen to the clip I posted? I'm going for kind of an '80s shredder sound, full but not muddy.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
I'm looking to get rid of my Flextone III amp in order to get a nice small 1x12 15-25 watt all tube amp. Names such as the Blackheart and the Tiny Terror come to mind, but neither of them have 2 channels or an effects loop. The tone I'm looking for is somewhat that of Mikael Akerfeldt's from Opeth.

He uses Laney amps, specifically the Lionheart series. However, the Laney amps in my price range ($500-$700) only have one channel. I'm looking for two so as to have a clean channel with Reverb and a distorted one with a bit reverb. The reason why I'd like an effects loop is to add delay for solos.

Also, it seems the only amp that offers as much gain as I really want is the Tiny Terror, but it lacks a clean channel and an effects loop which seem to be real deal breakers for me.

So...is there such amp out there?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm looking to get rid of my Flextone III amp in order to get a nice small 1x12 15-25 watt all tube amp. Names such as the Blackheart and the Tiny Terror come to mind, but neither of them have 2 channels or an effects loop. The tone I'm looking for is somewhat that of Mikael Akerfeldt's from Opeth.

He uses Laney amps, specifically the Lionheart series. However, the Laney amps in my price range ($500-$700) only have one channel. I'm looking for two so as to have a clean channel with Reverb and a distorted one with a bit reverb. The reason why I'd like an effects loop is to add delay for solos.

Also, it seems the only amp that offers as much gain as I really want is the Tiny Terror, but it lacks a clean channel and an effects loop which seem to be real deal breakers for me.

So...is there such amp out there?

For a 112 amp with those features you are pretty limited. You might want to look into getting one of the small amp solutions (like the Tiny Terror) and supplement its versatility with pedals and/or rack stuff. You could also check out the Krank stuff like the rev jr pro. This is a blind recommendation because I've never played one myself though I have through my friend's larger Krank (can't remember the model, sorry) and it's pretty cool. No verb on the the rev jr pro though.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You might be limiting yourself if you just look at combos, a head and 1x12 cab could open up your choice of amps.

Do you really need 2 channels? You can do a lot with a nice single channel tube amp, a boost or overdrive and your volume knob. Part of the reason people buy tube amps is for the response to picking dynamics, something that breaks up when you hit hard but stays clean when you go easy might be exactly what you want.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

the wizards beard posted:

You might be limiting yourself if you just look at combos, a head and 1x12 cab could open up your choice of amps.

Do you really need 2 channels? You can do a lot with a nice single channel tube amp, a boost or overdrive and your volume knob. Part of the reason people buy tube amps is for the response to picking dynamics, something that breaks up when you hit hard but stays clean when you go easy might be exactly what you want.

Hmm so basically working with lowering the volume on my guitar? Wouldn't there still be some sort of breakup? I was planning on getting a tubescreamer as a boost for solos.

Do many people go with this option? I've tried to replicate this with my Line 6 amp by having a Dual Rect model on 67% gain and lowering the volume on my guitar for clean stuff, but I always get breakup. Would a real tube amp do well with this? If so, I might just go with the TT combo and modify it in order to get effects loop.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Steiler Drep posted:

Hmm so basically working with lowering the volume on my guitar? Wouldn't there still be some sort of breakup? I was planning on getting a tubescreamer as a boost for solos.

Do many people go with this option? I've tried to replicate this with my Line 6 amp by having a Dual Rect model on 67% gain and lowering the volume on my guitar for clean stuff, but I always get breakup. Would a real tube amp do well with this? If so, I might just go with the TT combo and modify it in order to get effects loop.

Well, the Flextones don't model variable gain very well, but you're also not going to make a Rectifier (of any variety) go from 67% gain to clean with your volume knob. Probably the reason he thought to recommend what he did is because you mentioned Laney, which aren't super high gain amps or anything. Micheal's tone is not just in the Laney, he uses a GT-8 as well and probably other pedals, too. If you were going for a Laney's self-capable distorted tone, you could crank it up and use your volume knob to roll back the grit. There's usually a sweet spot on your guitar's volume knob, around 1 or 2, where it'll make a medium distorting amp sing sweetly. However, for a high gain amp that relies on cascaded preamp tube gain stages for its distortion (Peavey 5150, Mesa Rectifiers, and the other amps that sound like you are apparently trying to sound), you'll have much less success trying to control your dirt level with your guitar's volume. If you roll it back on those amps, things just tend to get weak and lifeless.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I have a Flextone (the previous generation though) and I don't think this is modelled very well, you should try out a few tube amps (the actual amps, not models). The Recto models on most modellers seem to be pretty over the top because people expect them to be nu-metal machines, that might not be the best comparison.

Controlling tone with the volume knob was the only way to do it before channel-switching. Here's a Rory Gallagher video (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkuHgSzNhg) where he varies the tone quite a bit just on the volume and picking. This is probably less distortion than you want but he's not using a high-gain amp, just a single channel AC30 and a treble boost.

e; beaten badly, Agreed said it better.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Here's a Rory Gallagher video (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=JdkuHgSzNhg)

Everyone should watch this because Rory was loving god. Love that battered old falling apart Strat.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Did you ever see it? It looks smaller than a normal strat, like his sweat actually eroded it.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Did you ever see it? It looks smaller than a normal strat, like his sweat actually eroded it.

No :( It was at a guitar exhibition last year in Dublin that I missed because I was sick.

Gene Ricman
Aug 14, 2008
I've had this a while, but it was the last thing I bought :>

A better 'Rams Head' Big Muff clone you will not find. It sounds absolutely incredible. They're discontinued now aswell sadly.

This is #089 of around 100 I believe. I did want it in green, but when you see a D*A*M pedal for sale, you don't generally worry about the colour. Besides, its kind of grown on me. Its all like "Yeah, I'm all purple. But I still kick your rear end."

Subdecay Quasar is next on my list:

SpeeMar
Mar 3, 2008

BahDunDunKet
DabbaDunDunShaa

Coca Koala posted:

This arrived yesterday, and I got a battery for it today.

I was looking for a cheap, small, battery powered amp that I could take with me easily and that sounds good. This one delivers pretty much everything that I want. It was 55 bucks from Humbuckermusic.com, and it's amazingly small. Like, smaller than the Roland Microcube. It sounds pretty drat good, in my opinion. It's definitely a sound I enjoy listening to, playing with an Agile PS-100. It's got a tone knob and a volume knob, with a button for overdrive. I'm not really fond of how the overdrive sounds yet, although once I get something dialed in maybe I'll like it better? I tend to like cleaner, brighter tones anyway so I'm not too concerned. I haven't tested the tuner yet; I'm gonna get some new strings for my guitar and then I'll try out the tuner.

Next up: hopefully a nice acoustic/electric (:

I live 20 minutes from Humbucker and they are great dudes and have some great deals (including the orange cabs and amps :D) to contribute:

I wanted something really bright and musical that spoke fast with little decay and my 15" a custom fast crash is just what I needed. :woop:

also big crashes :rock:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

My Ernie Ball Volume Pedal is dead. The pot is scratchy, it doesn't go to zero volume, and it's been tone sucking like mad. I don't really want to pay the money for a new pot when I'm just going to have to get another one in a year. I'm thinking about getting a Morley Little Alligator, anyone use this? Tone suck problems? Any other volume pedal recommendations?

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

GrAviTy84 posted:

My Ernie Ball Volume Pedal is dead. The pot is scratchy, it doesn't go to zero volume, and it's been tone sucking like mad. I don't really want to pay the money for a new pot when I'm just going to have to get another one in a year. I'm thinking about getting a Morley Little Alligator, anyone use this? Tone suck problems? Any other volume pedal recommendations?

I will buy your broken volume pedal for 10 bucks that will be a good start towards that morley

isnt a new pot like 3 bucks man

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

GrAviTy84 posted:

Spray some contact/pot cleaner in the hole of the pot and move it up and down a few times. Also, sucking tone? Are you sure? Most EB volume pedals are completely passive.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Captain Organ posted:

I will buy your broken volume pedal for 10 bucks that will be a good start towards that morley

isnt a new pot like 3 bucks man

not the ones they use, they have a really long shaft ( :haw: ) and some sort of brass pulley. The replacements off the site are like 20 bucks and I still have to deal with the install, and reinstalling a new one eventually, and the noise, and the tone suck, I can probably just get by with replacing them every time, I would just prefer a more reliable solution.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
how long? I imagine there has got to be somebody online who will sell for cheaper than that.

There looks to be an allen slot on the brass pulley too, is it removable?

As far as the morley, I have no idea about the new ones, but i have an old 3-in-one that is garbage and a half. The alligators do get decent reviews, though.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I have two new toys!

First is a microphone:

It's an Audix OM2; it was $99, the same price point as the Shure SM58 and Sennheiser E835 that I was looking at. I tried all three of them together and just liked the sound of the Audix a bit better.

I also got this!

An M-Audio USB Mobile Pre, which is (as the name indicates,) a USB preamp.

I also got a microphone cable and a new guitar cable, both Monster.

So now I can record stuff in my dorm room! I'm pretty stoked; I know this gear isn't really top of the line recording equipment, but I think it'll work great for what I need it to do. Now I just need to fiddle with it a bit and figure out how to get it all working. I've managed to record with both a guitar and the microphone, but all my recordings are really really quiet. Hopefully I'll find some free time this week that I can use to really sit down with this gear and figure out what's going on; if not then I'll post a question in the home recording thread.

fake edit: And now all my money starts going into the "Tube Amp" fund! And then after that, hopefully I'll be done buying music gear for a while?

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Coca Koala posted:

I have two new toys!

First is a microphone:

It's an Audix OM2; it was $99, the same price point as the Shure SM58 and Sennheiser E835 that I was looking at. I tried all three of them together and just liked the sound of the Audix a bit better.

I also got this!

An M-Audio USB Mobile Pre, which is (as the name indicates,) a USB preamp.

I also got a microphone cable and a new guitar cable, both Monster.

So now I can record stuff in my dorm room! I'm pretty stoked; I know this gear isn't really top of the line recording equipment, but I think it'll work great for what I need it to do. Now I just need to fiddle with it a bit and figure out how to get it all working. I've managed to record with both a guitar and the microphone, but all my recordings are really really quiet. Hopefully I'll find some free time this week that I can use to really sit down with this gear and figure out what's going on; if not then I'll post a question in the home recording thread.

fake edit: And now all my money starts going into the "Tube Amp" fund! And then after that, hopefully I'll be done buying music gear for a while?

Usually dynamic mics tend to be on the quiet side, and I'm not sure what that Mobile Pre has but usually to get proper signal when directly connecting a guitar you need a DI box.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Ohms posted:

Usually dynamic mics tend to be on the quiet side, and I'm not sure what that Mobile Pre has but usually to get proper signal when directly connecting a guitar you need a DI box.

DI is a digital input? I don't know anything about those; the FAQ for recording glosses over them and the guy I've been asking questions of didn't mention anything about them. Can you post a quick summary of what I'd be looking for?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Coca Koala posted:

DI is a digital input? I don't know anything about those; the FAQ for recording glosses over them and the guy I've been asking questions of didn't mention anything about them. Can you post a quick summary of what I'd be looking for?
A DI or Direct Injection box changes the impedance of your guitar or bass or 1/4" keyboard output, etc. as well as makes it a balanced input for your mobilepre or mixer.

The mobile pre should have a decent enough mic pre to boost the mic to levels you'd want to record at. Without at meter, you're going to want to play/sing into the mic as loud as you can and turn the gain up until your clip light barely flickers on and off, then roll back the gain a smidge until it completely disappears (completely, as in not at all). If you are doing high gain guitar tones be sure to check both sustained chords and palm muted chords as palm muted chords tend to clip more easily (at least in my experience). If you are using a DAW that has a meter, you are going to want to record with peaks no higher that about -6 dB. It might seem trivial to you to do all this now, but it's good to get into the habit and it will make more sense when you start wanting to mix whole songs.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Oct 20, 2008

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Coca Koala posted:

Haha, if only it were that easy. Once you've started acquiring gear, you won't be able to stop!
Anyone in this thread can vouch for that :)

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
Ok I feel wierd posting in here amongst all these stats, pauls, and keyboard thingies but here goes.

This is a Razorback that I traded for my Randall cab. It was a steal simply for the fact that a Razorback alone is over a grand retail. The paint is aftermarket and to be honest not very good. However I'm not a stickler and it looks great from afar and plays pretty drat nice to boot. It was originaly a Slime Bumblebee that the owner never really plays. If you want to know why, well whats the point?. All those USA guitars and the man is only home for 3 days a month. Oh well, at least I get to jam!

I know a lot of people in here will hate on it but I don't care. It means a lot to me and I'm going to loving play the poo poo out of it. Just needs an X2N and some new pots to really open it up!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

That metal dude posted:

Ok I feel wierd posting in here amongst all these stats, pauls, and keyboard thingies but here goes.

This is a Razorback that I traded for my Randall cab. It was a steal simply for the fact that a Razorback alone is over a grand retail. The paint is aftermarket and to be honest not very good. However I'm not a stickler and it looks great from afar and plays pretty drat nice to boot. It was originaly a Slime Bumblebee that the owner never really plays. If you want to know why, well whats the point?. All those USA guitars and the man is only home for 3 days a month. Oh well, at least I get to jam!

I know a lot of people in here will hate on it but I don't care. It means a lot to me and I'm going to loving play the poo poo out of it. Just needs an X2N and some new pots to really open it up!

I'm not trying to be horrible, but Deans are horrid guitars and you are a bad person.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste

Stux posted:

I'm not trying to be horrible, but Deans are horrid guitars and you are a bad person.

This is true. All in favor of voting him out of ML raise the horns.
Also I'm beginning to think that Dean had Dimebag killed.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Stux posted:

Didn't you put an X2N in the ML? You want two really similar guitars?

As for the Dean thing, it is odd that they're bringing out Razorbacks with 7-strings and active electronics that Dime wouldn't have endorsed when he was alive.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I don't know that I've ever seen a company try to capitalize on someone's being shot to death more so than Dean.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Well, I wouldn't go that far...

Click here for the full 800x1082 image.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Maybe I will create a parody t-shirt with Dimebag's face photoshopped on Che's head, that would be brilliant. Then I will get rich by selling it everywh-... wait a minute...

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Concatenation posted:

Maybe I will create a parody t-shirt with Dimebag's face photoshopped on Che's head, that would be brilliant. Then I will get rich by selling it everywh-... wait a minute...

As long as it's printed on a shirt that's entirely camouflage bullseye.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Thoogsby posted:

I don't know that I've ever seen a company try to capitalize on someone's being shot to death more so than Dean.

I can understand honouring his memory, and he was a great guitarist, but he had a terrible sense of asthetics. That combined with Dean guitars in general is just a recipe for a line of tacky looking guitars that don't even play that nicely.

Edit: Also I can't think of any headstock that is uglier than that huge inverted V Dean use.

Stux fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 20, 2008

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
I think this video sums up my feelings about Dean perfectly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dQ60FI5XiU&feature=related

That metal dude
Mar 7, 2007

I call out to the beasts of the sea! To come forth and join us! This night is yours!
So yeah I pretty much got the response I thought I would. Thanks ML.

Didn't you put an X2N in the ML? You want two really similar guitars?

As for the Dean thing, it is odd that they're bringing out Razorbacks with 7-strings and active electronics that Dime wouldn't have endorsed when he was alive.

I love my X2N. I'm getting a JB to put in the V and each guitar will be in a different tuning. V will be in E , the Razorback in D, and the ML is in C.

Stux; sorry you don't like Deans man. They have some great stuff but as a company I can agree that they're dropping the ball on several things. The Dimebag stuff can be attributed to not only Dean guitars but Rita as well. Everybody needs to make a living I guess. Recently the QC has been pretty bad and I know a few of the older guys who have been playin them for a while are actually starting to leave. They get dicked around on the custom shop orders with hosed up prices and way to long build times.

Take some solace in the fact that I have not financially backed Dean at all and these instruments were all purchased second hand.

Zakalwe posted:

This is true. All in favor of voting him out of ML raise the horns.
Also I'm beginning to think that Dean had Dimebag killed.

Ha, having a different taste means I'm not in the club eh? Cool with me.

That metal dude fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 20, 2008

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't really want to pay the money for a new pot when I'm just going to have to get another one in a year.
I have no idea why you're assuming a new pot will die in a year, it's not like EB uses some magically lovely programmed-to-die-in-12-months pots and someone else uses the real ones. (Hell, if you're gonna fix it yourself I'm sure you can find a pot which fits from someone else.) All their competitors are probably using pots from the same manufactuer. If you're experiencing "tone suck" in a passive volume pedal I would suggest it's probably because it's broken and not because the pedal just sucks.

FYI you can send an EB volume pedal to them and they'll rebuild it for about $50 depending on the model. This means they will replace everything except the casing so you basically get a new pedal without paying for the casing again which is a lot more cost effective than buying something else.

If you just want a new pedal obviously don't let me stop you, but don't rationalize it to yourself with nonsense complaints about something you already have. It probably sounds like I'm going on a crusade here but I just think it'd suck for you to flush a bunch of money down the toilet because you had a pot go bad and for some reason wrote off the pedal it was in.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Stux posted:

I have an exotica acoustic from 7 years ago and its great. So there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

That metal dude posted:

Stux; sorry you don't like Deans man. They have some great stuff but as a company I can agree that they're dropping the ball on several things. The Dimebag stuff can be attributed to not only Dean guitars but Rita as well. Everybody needs to make a living I guess. Recently the QC has been pretty bad and I know a few of the older guys who have been playin them for a while are actually starting to leave. They get dicked around on the custom shop orders with hosed up prices and way to long build times.

Even their good stuff is outstripped by other manufactuers in lower price ranges while looking tasteful. I'm not trying to poo poo on your choices, but three Deans? Really?