Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Mr.Wiggles posted:

This is mine:

Ideally, i would have a much longer desk, but my room, or wallet isn't big enough.
Hello lovely-Made-In-China-Chair buddy. How does that thing work out for you? I'm still fearing mine will break apart soon, like the previous non-metal version I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizology
Aug 30, 2004

Bananas... we haven't done Bananas!
There's some really cool set ups in this thread. There are also some really goony/scary set ups. All are entertaining to look at nonetheless.

I just got a new 24 inch widescreen monitor to replace my 3 year-old 19 inch non-widescreen LCD. I love it... so much space!

And that speaker isn't dirty, it just reflected some of the flash.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Phillyt posted:

The picture is very small.

Aw crap. Why must you taunt me Waffleimages?!

I will repost this at a future juncture.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting my wiring problem. I organised and routed all the cables and plugs, added extra powerpoints, and drilled holes in the side of my desk so just the plugs poke out and all the wires are hidden.

Just noticed that I can't raise the height of my monitor anymore because the I didn't leave any spare cable.

:doh:

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Horace posted:

I spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting my wiring problem. I organised and routed all the cables and plugs, added extra powerpoints, and drilled holes in the side of my desk so just the plugs poke out and all the wires are hidden.

Just noticed that I can't raise the height of my monitor anymore because the I didn't leave any spare cable.

:doh:

It's just part of the process tweaking and whatnot. I did my wires after this thread. I need to still fix a speaker cable and the mic cable. After that, I will be very content with my wires.

Edit: I wish they made a good keyboard/mouse for gaming that was wireless and wasn't insane expensive :(.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hello lovely-Made-In-China-Chair buddy. How does that thing work out for you? I'm still fearing mine will break apart soon, like the previous non-metal version I've owned.

It's holding up alright as it happens. Over two years old now i think. The cushioning has all but died, the rest of it is still in working order.

I've been looking at the bucket-seat-from-a-car chairs, they look ultra-swish, and a drat sight comfier than the one i've got now.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Bizology posted:

There's some really cool set ups in this thread. There are also some really goony/scary set ups. All are entertaining to look at nonetheless.

I just got a new 24 inch widescreen monitor to replace my 3 year-old 19 inch non-widescreen LCD. I love it... so much space!

And that speaker isn't dirty, it just reflected some of the flash.

You got some nice Valkyries there. :cool:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I got a cart for my computers and now my desk looks pretty sleek.

http://www.iamserio.us/files/desk3

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Bucket Joneses posted:

I got a cart for my computers and now my desk looks pretty sleek.

http://www.iamserio.us/files/desk3

That cart is sweet. I think I'm going to go that route.

RailFan92
Nov 4, 2007
----

RailFan92 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 24, 2009

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.
Redid my desk to make room for my new baby.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

I've still got a bit of cable management to take care of, but I was in too much of a hurry to get this thing set up. A few things have changed since last time:

* I got my right Bose speaker back. Music and games sound so much better now that the system is complete again.
* I replaced my aging MX700 with worn contacts with a VX Nano. I really bought the mouse for travel use with my Macbook Pro, but I love the trackpad too much so I decided to add it to my full time desk setup. I love the fact that the receiver is completely invisible since I'm plugging it into the underside of my keyboard.
* I don't like the fact that the two stands don't match, but eh, what are you gonna do?
* Oh yeah a new Macbook Pro.

The second monitor is still running off the Powerbook and will probably remain that way. I like having it there so I can have an IM machine up and running while I'm Boot Camped into Vista and playing games... I also leave the speakers plugged into the PB so I can have iTunes running at all times... in the future I'll probably get the adapters I need to have both machines plugged into the Bose speakers so I don't need to switch for playing games. In the remote window on the MBP is my Mac Mini in the living room, where all the music lives.

Also, Teleport is hot.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
http://www.iamserio.us/files/desk3/IMG_2336.JPG

Ok, where can I buy a cart like that in the UK? I have looked in the usual places online (Ikea, Wickes, Homebase and B&Q) and can't seem to find anything like it.

Any ideas?

Akvj1n
Dec 27, 2003

Communism, the word of G-d.
I'm planning on merging this with my audio/video setup soon. But here it is...

This thread really makes me embarrassed of my cable management (lack of).

Bizology
Aug 30, 2004

Bananas... we haven't done Bananas!

Xaalouse posted:

You got some nice Valkyries there. :cool:

Painted and glued them together myself!

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Just finished setting up my His-and-Hers home office.

Still a little work to be done, but overall I like it:

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Lt. Jebus posted:

Man I have that same keyboard and quite frankly I hate it. :(

Can anybody recommend me a good illuminated keyboard? Something that looks good but is practical and functional.

edit: I just noticed that the LED under the spacebar is super bright just like mine. It's so annoying the way it shines at just the right angle to bother you. I can't really explain it. gently caress that keyboard.

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

WeakLad posted:

shines at just the right angle to bother you. I can't really explain it.

Sharpie?

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Evilkiksass posted:

Sharpie?

When the backlight is turned on there's this really bright spot under the spacebar. It's not blindingly bright, but as long as you're facing the screen it's in your field of view. It's bright enough so that after awhile it might irritate your eyes a bit, and when you look away there will be a small red spot wherever you look for about half a minute.

If you were on my keyboard you'd understand :(

CheeseDog
Apr 22, 2005

Hagrid: "An' they haven't invented a spell our Hermione can' do."

tsctsc posted:

Tore out my carpet/drywall and rebuilt my room. Still living in poo poo until I get some zip ties to get these wires under control.

thats one comfy looking chair?
where can i get one?

theg sprank
Feb 3, 2008
pillage your village

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

jesus christ my desk is messy

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lt. Jebus posted:

Just finished setting up my His-and-Hers home office.

Still a little work to be done, but overall I like it:

Nice setup. You must really enjoy looking at your wife!

Evilkiksass
Jun 30, 2007
I am literally Bowbles IRL :(

DO A KEGSTAND BRAH

WeakLad posted:

When the backlight is turned on there's this really bright spot under the spacebar. It's not blindingly bright, but as long as you're facing the screen it's in your field of view. It's bright enough so that after awhile it might irritate your eyes a bit, and when you look away there will be a small red spot wherever you look for about half a minute.

If you were on my keyboard you'd understand :(

I ment that you should take a sharpie and cover up that spot. You have a Saitek, I have used it before I know what you mean.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

Strict 9 posted:

Nice setup. You must really enjoy looking at your wife!

Thanks, the setup was her idea ("so we could talk more") but I really like it.

For the record I don't have a problem with the keyboard either.

WeakLad
Aug 30, 2008

Evilkiksass posted:

I ment that you should take a sharpie and cover up that spot. You have a Saitek, I have used it before I know what you mean.

hey that's a neat idea, I'll give it a try!

Rocketface
Jun 30, 2007

oh this is the culture club

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!

WeakLad posted:

Can anybody recommend me a good illuminated keyboard? Something that looks good but is practical and functional.

edit: I just noticed that the LED under the spacebar is super bright just like mine. It's so annoying the way it shines at just the right angle to bother you. I can't really explain it. gently caress that keyboard.

I've got the same keyboard too, and frankly I love it. The keys are prone to cracking if you aren't careful how you pry them off though :(

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Perhaps someone here can help me....

Can anyone in the UK recommend somewhere to look for a good desk, other than Ikea/Homebase/Staples? I'm after something pretty specific, and none of those places have what I want, and I really don't know where stocks a decent selection of computer desks. Obviously, the cheaper the better, but I don't mind spending the money for the right thing.

If anyone could recommend some shops/vendors/retailers to check out, then i'd be very grateful!

syphon^2
Sep 22, 2004
I got a decent one on Argos.

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales
Have you looked into Viking Direct ?

You might need to be a business customer, i'm not sure, but they have some fine workspaces in there.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

WeakLad posted:

I had the Eclipse before a cat spilled water on it. Now I have the Eclipse II...I like it more. Maybe give that a shot. If you do find a good illuminated keyboard that doesn't have a poo poo-ton of fluff, I'd be interested. I always try to check for something new, but they always are loaded with poo poo, when all I really want is a keyboard with light and volume control.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Luminous posted:

I had the Eclipse before a cat spilled water on it. Now I have the Eclipse II...I like it more. Maybe give that a shot. If you do find a good illuminated keyboard that doesn't have a poo poo-ton of fluff, I'd be interested. I always try to check for something new, but they always are loaded with poo poo, when all I really want is a keyboard with light and volume control.

I have the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard and like it a lot. It's definitely got a short travel distance, though, making it more like a notebook keyboard than a traditional desktop keyboard.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740&cl=US,EN

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

moron posted:

Perhaps someone here can help me....

Can anyone in the UK recommend somewhere to look for a good desk, other than Ikea/Homebase/Staples? I'm after something pretty specific, and none of those places have what I want, and I really don't know where stocks a decent selection of computer desks. Obviously, the cheaper the better, but I don't mind spending the money for the right thing.

If anyone could recommend some shops/vendors/retailers to check out, then i'd be very grateful!
What are you looking for in a desk? I bought my IKEA Mikael about a month ago and it's miles better and cheaper than the nearest equivalents from Argos and Viking...

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

Zurich posted:

What are you looking for in a desk? I bought my IKEA Mikael about a month ago and it's miles better and cheaper than the nearest equivalents from Argos and Viking...

Well...I have a large setup of a MBP, dual 19" screens (soon to be upgraded to a mac pro with three 24" LCDs), and a bunch of music gear, and it simply doesn't fit on a regular desk. I need a decent sized corner desk which is about 70-80cm deep, and extends off on the left side by about two metres. TBH, unless i'm willing to spend stupid money, I don't think I'm going to find anything that specific. However, Viking seems to have ranges which I can pick and mix to get near enough what I need....

This is pretty much what I need (linked to Viking), but a preferably a little deeper, a little longer on the right corner, and a lot longer on the left side.

edit: Awesome....this + this + this will do the job perfectly. Not cheap, though!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. :)

an actual cat irl fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 23, 2008

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
That looks awfully familiar to the Ikea Gallant, which is what I use. It's very deep, sturdy, and looks great in the brown-black finish with T-legs. It looks like you could do exactly the same configuration, save needing to use one of those crazy rolling cabinets.

I didn't check which was cheaper though, or claim to know what is easier in your area to get. It's all down to personal preference, I guess.

durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
May 7, 2008

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

I'll post the whole setup when I clean my nasty-rear end living room.

cglotr
Oct 16, 2004

glompix posted:

That looks awfully familiar to the Ikea Gallant, which is what I use. It's very deep, sturdy, and looks great in the brown-black finish with T-legs. It looks like you could do exactly the same configuration, save needing to use one of those crazy rolling cabinets.

I didn't check which was cheaper though, or claim to know what is easier in your area to get. It's all down to personal preference, I guess.

How strong is the Gallant? Been looking at them for a while but I've head some people say that Ikea desks aren't to be trusted with expensive computer equipment - does the Gallant start to get a bit wobbly if you move it at all? I haven't seen one up close so I'm not sure how well it's contstructed - are all the joints metal to metal, or are there any wood to wood/wood to metal ones? (if that makes sense).

Leercore
Nov 2, 2007

cglotr posted:

How strong is the Gallant? Been looking at them for a while but I've head some people say that Ikea desks aren't to be trusted with expensive computer equipment - does the Gallant start to get a bit wobbly if you move it at all? I haven't seen one up close so I'm not sure how well it's contstructed - are all the joints metal to metal, or are there any wood to wood/wood to metal ones? (if that makes sense).

I just have a single piece Gallant, it's really sturdy due to the legs that span the width of the desk and the rectangular metal bracket fastened to the desktop (which I believe the legs secure into). If you have a carpeted floor and only an LCD monitor and keyboard on it, don't try and use the desk to pull yourself in though, that's a surefire way to pull all of your poo poo off of it.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
There was a top piece to this desk but I disliked having to look up at my monitor.

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

cglotr posted:

It's very sturdy. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure my 200 pound rear end could lean-sit on it no problem. I have the T legs and put one of them on slightly crooked, though. Watch out for that. :downs:

I suspect the ugly looking triangular legs would actually be even more sturdy for holding a lot of heavy equipment, but I'm no desk engineer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyle0wnsyou
Aug 1, 2007

Boogie Nights
Here's an extremely useful tip from the guys at MAKE Magazine. Use tall lamp poles for rear speaker mounts, if your home theater setup doesn't permit you to mount them on the wall.

http://chrismetcalf.net/blog/archives/2007/05/15/howto-dirt-cheap-speaker-stands/

Well, I'm off to several garage sales to find some cheap standing lamps. Hope the link helped someone.