Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

TooManyUzukis posted:

RANDOM TANGENT: that is one of the most obscure usernames/avatars I've seen and I'm not sure if I feel sad or happy that I get both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeosBoots posted:

And then, a myserious blonde woman slays all the demons and claims that payment is to be made to a man in black...

This would be the glory. This is the only way Berserk should end.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Oh poo poo. I just got that now. I guess I haven't been keeping up on that one lately :(

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
To be fair, he should have said "silver-eyed woman." That would have made it way more obvious.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Gvaz posted:

Oh poo poo. I just got that now. I guess I haven't been keeping up on that one lately :(

Sindai posted:

To be fair, he should have said "silver-eyed woman." That would have made it way more obvious.

OK, that's it. Unless you guys are animu-nerding it up with cross-references, I'm gonna have to re-read the first 32, or whatever, volumes. I've forgotten most of what's gone on in this comic now.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Andrigaar posted:

OK, that's it. Unless you guys are animu-nerding it up with cross-references, I'm gonna have to re-read the first 32, or whatever, volumes. I've forgotten most of what's gone on in this comic now.

It's a reference to Claymore. Claymore is a manga that is very close to Berserk and, although it has a lot less of hardcore stuff like rape and torture, it's also very dark and completely lacks any comic relief (i.e. no silly floating elf).

There's a lot of cross-references and jokes between Claymore and Berserk because of their similar dark fantasy themes. At any rate: The main character of Claymore is a Silver-Eyed Blonde woman.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I gave Claymore a five chapter chance and just couldn't get into it. I wanted to like it because everyone talks about how good it gets, but it just felt like Berserk Lite.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Claymore got a lot, lot better when it stopped pretending to be like Berserk and decided to basically just be a shounen fighting manga with a good amount of twists every few chapters. Until you've read up until volumes 3 or 4 (the Theresa flashback arc), you haven't really seen what Claymore's all about. It's not going to win any literary awards for its plot but its a pretty fun story with lots of limb-removing action, and the artwork goes from :downs: with huge foreheads everywhere to some pretty awe-inspiring designs, especially with the Awakened Beings. They might even give Griffith's patented two page spreads a run for their money. Claymore is also fun because it takes the M. Night Shyamalan approach by having as many twists as possible and ultimately is only concerned with getting to the next big fight.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I don't know why, but I've always imagined a happy ending to Berserk with Guts defeating Griffith/God Hand and having Griffith revert back to an infant state. Thus, a new beginning for Griffith and a child for Guts and Caska.

Of course, Guts could just crush him with his sword and all would be okay as well.

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.
Yes, because Guts and Caska have totally forgiven Griffith for raping Caska in front of Guts causing him to tear off his own arm and then inhabiting the body of their dead baby.

Does anyone else still remember that? Sorry, but I guess as a girl it seemed more traumatic to me. Then again, we all know that rape is never a big deal (or not as big as it should be) in manga.

He also shouldn't be forgiven for massacring the Band of the Hawks. It wasn't just the fact that they were Guts and Griffith's friends, it was the fact that they were his main reason for climbing up to where he was in the first place, AND they rescued him from torture prison. Who's to say he's not going to do it again?

It's just my opinion that Griffith is WAY beyond redemption, and the Eclipse seemed like Miura's way of showing the readers that "Hey, this guy is now the antagonist and there is NO GOING BACK."

I want Caska to be the one to kill Griffith. Guts should at least give her that honor. :colbert:

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I agree. Griffith is far beyond redemption.

There should be no forgiveness. Griffith made a blood sacrifice out of loyal soldiers and raped the woman who'd trusted him and cared for his broken body. Out of jealousy, he tried the break one man whom he couldn't control.

gently caress Griffith.

Zackarotto
Dec 25, 2005

Ha! Ha! I'll now calculate your brain age.
Simply put, the people who still see the good in Griffith, after knowing what he's done, are the people who would be first to join his army and worship him if they were born on Berserk's world.

I think Miura's selling the antichrist-charisma thing a bit too well.

Gwynne
Oct 24, 2004
I'm a gnome

Zackarotto posted:

Simply put, the people who still see the good in Griffith, after knowing what he's done, are the people who would be first to join his army and worship him if they were born on Berserk's world.

I think Miura's selling the antichrist-charisma thing a bit too well.

Thats why its going to be even sweeter when Guts shows up and takes a poo poo on everyones world.

The only way this will end well is when Guts chops him in half

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

IF I AM TROLLING REPORT ME!
Seriously you people hoping for a happy ending are insane. You're getting "less miserable" if you're lucky. in 2056

Also yeah, Claymore does get a lot better after a few volumes, and keeps getting better from there. Anyone that was interested but dropped it early should at least go to the flashback. I'm not sure how closely I'd tie it to Berserk, though, besides the obvious superficial stuff.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Zoolooman posted:

I agree. Griffith is far beyond redemption.

There should be no forgiveness. Griffith made a blood sacrifice out of loyal soldiers and raped the woman who'd trusted him and cared for his broken body. Out of jealousy, he tried the break one man whom he couldn't control.

gently caress Griffith.

The type of ending I was wanting was more ambiguous. Raping Casca and sacrificing the BoH was terrible, but what if he made that decision knowing that he would gain the power needed to create a better world? I like seeing how people grapple with the "do evil to do good" idea. I mean, the BoH was only a few hundred soldiers. What do they matter in the larger scheme of things? I'm certainly not on his side, but I hate lining things up as strictly good and evil.

Given the way he's been building Griffith lately, however, I'm not too optimistic about this happening. Either way, I'm expecting an ending that will at least be satisfying on some level. You know. In a decade or so.

Maybe.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!
Corkus just wanted some pussy mang :(

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

The mail is the one final hope for resurrecting a dead planet from its ashes, and the letter carriers are the brave soldiers of God in this righteous crusade.

TooManyUzukis posted:

The type of ending I was wanting was more ambiguous. Raping Casca and sacrificing the BoH was terrible, but what if he made that decision knowing that he would gain the power needed to create a better world? I like seeing how people grapple with the "do evil to do good" idea. I mean, the BoH was only a few hundred soldiers. What do they matter in the larger scheme of things? I'm certainly not on his side, but I hate lining things up as strictly good and evil.

Given the way he's been building Griffith lately, however, I'm not too optimistic about this happening. Either way, I'm expecting an ending that will at least be satisfying on some level. You know. In a decade or so.

Maybe.

Maybe I can buy him sacrificing soldiers for a better world. However, raping a loyal soldier who only cared for him to spite his former best friend for not being his manservant is not a requirement. He was already Femto at that point anyway! There was no other purpose than fulfilling pure sadistic tendencies.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

LeosBoots posted:

Maybe I can buy him sacrificing soldiers for a better world. However, raping a loyal soldier who only cared for him to spite his former best friend for not being his manservant is not a requirement. He was already Femto at that point anyway! There was no other purpose than fulfilling pure sadistic tendencies.

I suppose most of the reason I'm pulling for an ending that doesn't just have Griffith go *hurk*dead is that he is such a good character, at least before he became this untouchable god-being. From Guts' departure to the Eclipse we saw some seriously good character development for Griffith, and I want to see that continued. The Golden Age arc was what sold me on Berserk (I was anime-first inductee), mainly because of the Guts-Griffith relationship. I guess it's hardly surprising I'd want to see even more growth in this area.

Instead, we got stuck in the same goddamn city for umpteen chapters.

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

I never really saw Griffith as a protagonist, even during the Golden Age. From the very beginning he was a manipulative and childish megalomaniac. The Guts-Griffith relationship was really more like "Guts, since I believe that I own you, go fight this battle. But you're kind of interesting because you don't think I own you, so hang out with me afterwards. But I still own you. Wait, where are you going?"

At this point in the series, Griffith thinks he's God. There's not much development you can do after that. His character is just standing around, looking pretty and doing neat things to make people follow him. His expression didn't even change after he saw Guts after the Holy City arc. It was just kind of an "I'm God. What are you going to do about it? Kill me? Come loving try." exchange.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

LeosBoots posted:

I never really saw Griffith as a protagonist, even during the Golden Age. From the very beginning he was a manipulative and childish megalomaniac. The Guts-Griffith relationship was really more like "Guts, since I believe that I own you, go fight this battle. But you're kind of interesting because you don't think I own you, so hang out with me afterwards. But I still own you. Wait, where are you going?"

At this point in the series, Griffith thinks he's God. There's not much development you can do after that. His character is just standing around, looking pretty and doing neat things to make people follow him. His expression didn't even change after he saw Guts after the Holy City arc. It was just kind of an "I'm God. What are you going to do about it? Kill me? Come loving try." exchange.

I never really thought of him as a protagonist either, but he certainly does develop a lot after Guts "breaks" him by leaving/beating him. He is kinda of untouchable now, which is disappointing. I kind of look forward to the Griffith sections of chapters, if only because I hold out a vain hope that he'll finally stop being just a pretty picture with the words "Bad Guy" hung over his head and start being a CHARACTER again.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
You can't look at everything griffith has done and not want guts to just poo poo on his parade. That sort of satisfaction might not make a happy ending, but as long as griffith gets what's coming to him, it's a "happy ending" in my book.

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful

TooManyUzukis posted:

I never really thought of him as a protagonist either, but he certainly does develop a lot after Guts "breaks" him by leaving/beating him. He is kinda of untouchable now, which is disappointing. I kind of look forward to the Griffith sections of chapters, if only because I hold out a vain hope that he'll finally stop being just a pretty picture with the words "Bad Guy" hung over his head and start being a CHARACTER again.

I think he looks like an antichrist archetype and is still an interesting character.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Zoolooman posted:

I think he looks like an antichrist archetype and is still an interesting character.
The Ultimate Betrayal is going to be so good. When Griffith defeats Ganishka, he is literally going to be regarded as God on Earth by all his followers. He will be incapable of wrongdoing, free to do as he wishes as long as the people 'feel safe.'

Can you imagine the look on everyone's faces when Griffith, their lord and savior, claims the world for the God Hand? And with the knowledge that they were all complicit in signing their lives over to demon gods?

So good.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Tupperwarez posted:

The Ultimate Betrayal is going to be so good. When Griffith defeats Ganishka, he is literally going to be regarded as God on Earth by all his followers. He will be incapable of wrongdoing, free to do as he wishes as long as the people 'feel safe.'

Can you imagine the look on everyone's faces when Griffith, their lord and savior, claims the world for the God Hand? And with the knowledge that they were all complicit in signing their lives over to demon gods?

So good.

I agree, I've actually been waiting for this moment for over a year now. But seeing as we only get about 5 chapters a year now, I suppose we'll both be waiting another year or longer.

Cowboy
Nov 7, 2004

it was ok until she started peeing on me

Jimmybob posted:

I agree, I've actually been waiting for this moment for over a year now. But seeing as we only get about 5 chapters a year now, I suppose we'll both be waiting another 10 years or longer.

A minor fix. I'm just freakin happy that were getting a chapter on the 24th.

And has there been any evidence that Griffith is really going to just flip the bird to the world and sacrifice everything. To me my impression was that he was going to fulfill his dream and take a kingdom of his own. I think a more interesting direction would be that Guts "kills" Griffith and the whole world sees or knows that Guts did it, and we get to see Griffith's evil form descend and start loving poo poo up. All while Guts fights to protect the world that now blames him for the current disaster affecting the world.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cowboy posted:

A minor fix. I'm just freakin happy that were getting a chapter on the 24th.

And has there been any evidence that Griffith is really going to just flip the bird to the world and sacrifice everything. To me my impression was that he was going to fulfill his dream and take a kingdom of his own. I think a more interesting direction would be that Guts "kills" Griffith and the whole world sees or knows that Guts did it, and we get to see Griffith's evil form descend and start loving poo poo up. All while Guts fights to protect the world that now blames him for the current disaster affecting the world.

And I quote Slann "This [eg, the swamp that the Trolls and other horrors from the Spirit World were coming out from] is only the beginning, the world will be consumed in a Dark Age" and other wonderous things saying how the world is going to get raped by the God Hand. We don't know how, other then that the Apostles have been doing stuff and there's been more monsters then there've been before, and all of a sudden Griffith reincarnates right before Slann goes out of her way to tell us how hosed everything is. Coincidence?

Doubtful.

insaine
Aug 29, 2006
Well, with the whole "demon world and our world overlapping" thing, I always thought of the original eclipse, the one where Femto is born, was the catalyst for that. So I am guessing that Griffith is going to be the one to bring about the whole "New Dark Age" that Slann was talking about.

I'm betting that him fulfilling his dream is just apart of the grand scheme of things really. Either way it is going to be very interesting...

...in 10 years.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
God dammit, Miura is as slow as George R.R. Martin. I last checked this thread shortly after 297 was released, and today I thought "Hey, there's probably some new issues out by now, I should get caught up."

:suicide:

At least he's younger and less likely to die before finishing his story...maybe...

insaine posted:

Well, with the whole "demon world and our world overlapping" thing, I always thought of the original eclipse, the one where Femto is born, was the catalyst for that.

:pseudo: I could be entirely wrong, but in my mind all of this makes sense. The "real world" is being overlapped with the "fantasy worlds;" this is why the fairly realistic (as in, not a lot of magic and whatnot) setting of the early Berserk issues is become more, well, fantastic. The various lines about the end of "this world's logic" and such reinforce this, I believe, as does much of what Schierke and the older witch say when they're going to hunt the trolls.

But I don't think Griffith/Femto is directly responsible. I think the direct kickoff is the Apostle from the second eclipse, the "Egg of the Perfect World." He hated reality, which had treated him horribly, and wanted life to be more like a fantasy - it was his actions at the second eclipse that shifted the world and started the overlap with the other realities.

That's my take on it, at least.

insaine
Aug 29, 2006

Kylaer posted:

But I don't think Griffith/Femto is directly responsible. I think the direct kickoff is the Apostle from the second eclipse, the "Egg of the Perfect World." He hated reality, which had treated him horribly, and wanted life to be more like a fantasy - it was his actions at the second eclipse that shifted the world and started the overlap with the other realities.

Actually this does make more sense than what I said. However I still think that Griffith becoming one of the Godhand perhaps let them begin their plans or something I'm not sure. It just seems as if they were waiting until they were more powerful/had gained something important, of course that is assuming that all the worlds crossing business is their plan/doing.

Then again, I could be talking out of my rear end, it has been awhile since I re-read the series.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!

Kylaer posted:

God dammit, Miura is as slow as George R.R. Martin. I last checked this thread shortly after 297 was released, and today I thought "Hey, there's probably some new issues out by now, I should get caught up."

:suicide:

At least he's younger and less likely to die before finishing his story...maybe...

:pseudo: I could be entirely wrong, but in my mind all of this makes sense. The "real world" is being overlapped with the "fantasy worlds;" this is why the fairly realistic (as in, not a lot of magic and whatnot) setting of the early Berserk issues is become more, well, fantastic. The various lines about the end of "this world's logic" and such reinforce this, I believe, as does much of what Schierke and the older witch say when they're going to hunt the trolls.

Oh Kylaer, I hoped I was the only one who posted in both threads. We could start a support group for Blue-balled Fanboys.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Griffith is ambition personified. There is no redemption for a character that didn't have humanity to begin with.

LeosBoots
Aug 26, 2005

I really do want to see the Original Hawks return as dark demon/apostle things. Pippin already looked like an Apostle, Corkus would be some kind of good looking rear end in a top hat who gets all kinds of tail (or a creepy snake rapist), and I have no idea what Judeau would look like but he would probably stalk Caska and be creepy (but still badass).

It would also mark the return of Rickert with some new awesome skill!

I can dream, can't I?

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
I figured that all the weirdness that's been going on has been the result of Griffith's manipulation. He was just making everything hosed up, so that he could come and "save" the world.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

The new chapter will just be 18 page-rectangles that foldout 1 by 1 into a massive panoramic shot of the battlefield.

Then we'll get the next "page" this time next year woot.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005

Mr. Deathy posted:

The new chapter will just be 18 page-rectangles that foldout 1 by 1 into a massive panoramic shot of the battlefield.

It'll be pretty much identical to the last 2 pages of chapter 297. They might be a few feet closer to each other to show a few seconds have elapsed.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Jimmybob posted:

It'll be pretty much identical to the last 2 pages of chapter 297. They might be a few feet closer to each other to show a few seconds have elapsed.
I don't think the giant monster is capable of moving in increments of a few feet. Griffith, on the other hand, is not going to move from his position because that's where the lone rays of light for majestic illumination are located.

This will end when Ganishka blocks Griffith's light, causing Griffith to finally lose his cool.

cooldude2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 21, 2008

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Wrong! Absorbing such massive quantities of light makes you glow in the dark. :eng101:

Jimmybob posted:

You laugh now, but in twenty years we'll be one-millionth of the way to a new anime season.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
When this is volumized, it will be really weird. Two page threads of Griffith every chapter?

However regardless of the pace, I am loving Ganishka's thing right now. It's way hosed up and awesome.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Mr. Deathy posted:

Oh, so Mark Millar and Miura are good friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG17
Oct 6, 2002

Andrigaar posted:

Oh, so Mark Millar and Miura are good friends?
Is that just a comment on schedules or did Millar do a poster issue? I imagine it'd veer more towards "wall of explosion" than "end of Promethea."

NIPPON BANZAI