Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Just had a question about the template resume that was posted on the first page. I noticed that under work statement the "To lead and create etc." on both the left side of the text and the right side of the text is lined up all the way down through "Work Experience." Is there any way to auto format it in Adode Illustrator or did you all just line it up to the best of your ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
To make a long story short, I've recently dropped the idea of making a career out of the military in order to pursue a career as a writer. My dream job would be working at PC Gamer Magazine reviewing games all day, but working for a game developer as a writer would be just as awesome.

Besides attending a college with a solid creative writing or journalism program and sending resumes out, how the heck does anybody get involved with a game developer as a writer in the first place? I know that I can start a portfolio by getting involved in a school paper and doing freelance work, but does it really boil down to just knowing someone in the industry?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
After much fiddling around, I've poured my somewhat slim resume into Same's template. I did this in Illustrator, following a similar grid system with modifications to better accommodate my info. How does it look? Do you more typographically-inclined people have any recommendations?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

What's the deal with making something out of repairing, maintaining, and building computers? Do you just need to self study and go for A+ or should you get involved in IT schooling?

JoeWindetc
Jan 14, 2007
JoeWindetc
For lack of a better place to post this and not to crap it up with a new thread and since this is "career advice," is there an optimal ratio of font size to leading for reading large bodies of text?

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Isn't it 1:1.2?

10:12, 12:14.4 etc?

Maybe we could do with a 'Small/Quick Questions' thread?

I Are Internet
Jun 1, 2007

404 Mercy not found
Fellow designers,

Right now I am in the market for a new job. My dilemma is that although I have a ton of experience with ad agencies, technology firms and marketing companies, most of the work I have done for them has been confidential to those companies.

Basically, I have been told my my superiors (usually the CEO) that I can't put any of my work on my portfolio due to it being officially owned by the company I am working for.

Question is, how do I get around this? I feel some of my best work is done within the company that I'm with since I don't have much extra time to do freelance. Same, your portfolio is stocked with tons of awesome stuff and a few of my designer friends in NYC have their work for Visa, Nike, Coca Cola, etc. in theirs.

Should I tempt fate with my past employers?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

I Are Internet posted:

Fellow designers,

Right now I am in the market for a new job. My dilemma is that although I have a ton of experience with ad agencies, technology firms and marketing companies, most of the work I have done for them has been confidential to those companies.

Basically, I have been told my my superiors (usually the CEO) that I can't put any of my work on my portfolio due to it being officially owned by the company I am working for.

Question is, how do I get around this? I feel some of my best work is done within the company that I'm with since I don't have much extra time to do freelance. Same, your portfolio is stocked with tons of awesome stuff and a few of my designer friends in NYC have their work for Visa, Nike, Coca Cola, etc. in theirs.

I do photography rather than design, but I think I would. They're unlikely to find out unless they call your old bosses, and it's a matter of being hired versus leaving the industry or going on welfare. If you really can't get permission, just be careful of who you show your material to.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I Are Internet posted:

Is this stuff internal to the companies like intranet apps or what? If it's an ad or public website you can use it in your portfolio all you want. If you're nervous you can "scrub" your pieces and blank out or blur any things you think people might object to. Even blur out the logo or brand names if need be. You could even bring an NDA to an interview if you think you might need to.

Designers gotta eat too.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

I Are Internet posted:

Having it in your portfolio does not change or challenge their ownership of the work you did. The CEO is probably just retarded.

I Are Internet
Jun 1, 2007

404 Mercy not found

qirex posted:

Is this stuff internal to the companies like intranet apps or what? If it's an ad or public website you can use it in your portfolio all you want. If you're nervous you can "scrub" your pieces and blank out or blur any things you think people might object to. Even blur out the logo or brand names if need be. You could even bring an NDA to an interview if you think you might need to.

Designers gotta eat too.

No, most of it is for clients, some of which are big name companies which I am really proud of the work I've done for them. I have a lot of the stuff in my printed portfolio since I would only be showing it to a potential client/employer.

But yea, I agree that the CEO is retarded, I'm not the only one who things so. Thank you all for the advice so far, I think I'll go update my online portfolio now and see what happens!

Velociraper
Apr 6, 2008

by hoodrow trillson
I'm considering dropping out of college to write fiction professionally. I'm not having too much trouble getting published in small literary magazines and the like and I can confidently say that I'm an above average writer. In a typical night, I crank out 5000 words or more of quality work and maybe another 2000 of poo poo that needs to be heavily edited or thrown in the trash. The college I'm attending now is Virginia Tech and the English program is a joke, I don't feel like I'm improving my writing in any way by attending classes. Really, the only resource here that I feel has been of use to me is the library. As of now, I'm basically just acquiring credits for an arbitrary degree that I won't REALLY need as a fiction writer. My theory is that I can drop out now, try my hand at writing professionally for two years, and if it doesn't pan out I can just go back to school.

What are your thoughts on this situation? The way I see it I'm spending money to waste time when I could be out pursuing my dream job and actually making dollars. I have a tentative part time job lined up and a friend of mine is looking for a room mate anyway.

Steve's Guest
Dec 11, 2003

by Fragmaster
I'm going to school for design right now and am just getting into the real meat of the program. All of the lab computers are Macs, and I'll design something at school and be disappointed when I look at it at home because my colors don't look the same and the contrast is off. It's starting to bug me really bad. I figure that, since the professional world is gonna be the land of a million Macs anyways, I may as well trade piles of dollar bills for a Mac. It is a lot of money though, so can any professionals tell me whether or not they think it'd be worth having one at home?

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Steve's Guest posted:

I'm going to school for design right now and am just getting into the real meat of the program. All of the lab computers are Macs, and I'll design something at school and be disappointed when I look at it at home because my colors don't look the same and the contrast is off. It's starting to bug me really bad. I figure that, since the professional world is gonna be the land of a million Macs anyways, I may as well trade piles of dollar bills for a Mac. It is a lot of money though, so can any professionals tell me whether or not they think it'd be worth having one at home?
Are the colors different between computer screens, or is it different the way it prints out? A lot of the difference you're seeing probably depends on how the monitors are tuned.

It takes forever, but you can adjust the levels on a monitor to more or less exactly match another, or to match the output of a specific printer. Otherwise, there will likely be at least a small difference between machines.

Lots of people use Macs, lots don't. As long as you can open a file on either OS, you'll be fine with a PC.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
(Apologies if this has been posted before, I read through the whole thread a while back but I can't recall if this was addressed)

If I was applying for a position as a web designer/developer, would I be expected (or would it be a good idea) to bring a printed portfolio along? As my work is all web and nothing specifically print, I'm not entirely sure what the guidelines are.

If I was to bring something along, should it be along the lines of fairly close cropped shots or essentially just screenshots?

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 17, 2008

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Velociraper posted:

I'm considering dropping out of college to write fiction professionally. I'm not having too much trouble getting published in small literary magazines and the like and I can confidently say that I'm an above average writer. In a typical night, I crank out 5000 words or more of quality work and maybe another 2000 of poo poo that needs to be heavily edited or thrown in the trash. The college I'm attending now is Virginia Tech and the English program is a joke, I don't feel like I'm improving my writing in any way by attending classes. Really, the only resource here that I feel has been of use to me is the library. As of now, I'm basically just acquiring credits for an arbitrary degree that I won't REALLY need as a fiction writer. My theory is that I can drop out now, try my hand at writing professionally for two years, and if it doesn't pan out I can just go back to school.

What are your thoughts on this situation? The way I see it I'm spending money to waste time when I could be out pursuing my dream job and actually making dollars. I have a tentative part time job lined up and a friend of mine is looking for a room mate anyway.

Are you making enough to live on off of your writing alone? Do you have enough work lined up in the next three months to maintain that level of income? More importantly, is getting a degree actively keeping you from writing? I can tell you from experience, having a wide open day with nothing to do but write doesn't increase your productivity like you think it will. You're probably already at your maximum level of daily output - most people tend to reach the rate they're most comfortable with not long after they begin to write seriously.

Honestly, I see no upsides to you dropping out of school. I don't think it would have any bearing on your fledgling career. Transfer if it's really that bad. Hardly any writers, especially ones whose credits are limited to small literary magazines, write full time. Many bestselling novelists still have their day jobs.

I Are Internet
Jun 1, 2007

404 Mercy not found

Forty Two posted:

(Apologies if this has been posted before, I read through the whole thread a while back but I can't recall if this was addressed)

If I was applying for a position as a web designer/developer, would I be expected (or would it be a good idea) to bring a printed portfolio along? As my work is all web and nothing specifically print, I'm not entirely sure what the guidelines are.

If I was to bring something along, should it be along the lines of fairly close cropped shots or essentially just screenshots? Also, if it's not too much to ask, would anyone mind having a quick look over my portfolio?

I always bring a print portfolio with me. In my opinion it does two things:

1. Gives your possible employer a chance to go over your work with you first hand instead of looking at your online portfolio when you're not there. This is also helpful for me since I have some work in my printed portfolio that isn't allowed to be displayed online or work that I haven't added to my site yet. Since in your portfolio you have logo and t-shirt design, you can put those things in there. Even bring a t-shirt with you for them!

2. It gives you a chance to put together a well designed print piece. This could be something that ties into your website and shows that you also have an eye for print layouts and can handle those projects if they come along. Since your online portfolio has a lot of big rich type, you can incorporate those elements into your print portfolio and make something really nice for them to look at. Hell, even put together a separate copy and bring it for them to keep.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I only bring a printed portfolio because if something can go wrong with your laptop during a job interview, it will.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Well it looks like I'd better start researching print portfolios! Thanks for the feedback.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I am a junior at the University of Louisville and will be graduating in a year or two with a BFA in graphic design. Probably never knew we had one as only about 15 people are let in the program every year. It has built a good reputation in Louisville that produces good designers, and thanks to size I am on really good terms with my professors. One has been in the field for 30+ years and the other has studied under the likes of Hermann Zaph. I know I could easily get a safe job in the city when I graduate, but I'm starting to get a desire to advance further and experience life outside of Kentucky. I just started an internship in the marketing department at a large hospital chain that is located in KY and as great as the experience is I do not like the restrictiveness of what I design and feel like advertising would be more on par for my creativity. I'm trying to get an internship at a local advertising firm, and I do have a connection there.

My question is should I look into portfolio schools and/or graduate schools? I'm really wanting to learn, see, and do more than what is offered in my city and feel like graduate school is a good way for that or should I work hard on my portfolio and apply to design firms in other cities? Even graduate school outside of the country I feel would be an amazing opportunity.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 4, 2008

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

Steve's Guest posted:

It's not a Mac thing, it's a colour calibration thing.

As the IT department at college if/how/when/etc the monitors are calibrated; you'd like to think that if you were on a program worth poo poo they'd be set up properly. Then just buy a Spyder for your PC or whatever.

e: what do people think about using your school email address on your portfolio website? I have a domain (which I'm not too fond of any more), but I go to a pretty drat prestigious design college and it might send out a quick 'hey, this guy is good!' message before they view my CV.

Zurich fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 5, 2008

I Are Internet
Jun 1, 2007

404 Mercy not found
I would stick with your website email. I feel that using your school address is the same as using hotmail or yahoo. If you don't like your website domain anymore, get a new one that's more professional and reflects you better.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

Velociraper posted:

I'm considering dropping out of college to write fiction professionally.

Oh Jesus God no. Unless you've already got a steady stream of income from some other source (such as incoming royalties from a lucky hit, or some sort of inheritance like all the rich brat modernists), deciding to write as a primary source of income is a monumentally bad idea.

That said, if you aren't getting anything (skill-wise) from your education, then you're just making GBS threads your money away. Transferring to a better university would, by the sounds of it, be the best course of action.

The only writer I know is poet laureate of his region, cranks out at least one book a year (plus tons of magazines and whatnot), constantly holds writing workshops and makes appearances at schools, and still only makes about 30k per year.

Okay, now that I've tossed my two cents into the pot, I suppose now I should show you all how horribly unqualified I am to dole out advice by asking some questions of my own:

I've just graduated (well, a few months ago) with a BA Hons in English and Creative Writing. Ideally, I'd like to get a job in publishing, but I wouldn't mind doing more or less anything writing-related--namely, editing, or even journalism. I've got a couple of questions pertaining to how in the Sam Hell I can get my foot in the door in any of these fields:

1) For the last year-and-change of my university career, I did work-study at a professor's publishing house, and so have a couple of books that have my name in the acknowledgments page. I've been submitting picture files that have been photoshopped together showing the cover of the book, my name, and a little blurb about the book (basically, 'This is a project I worked on for Black Moss Press. It's totally awesome, and I was a contributor to its awesomocity.' (I'll edit and attach the pictures a little later.) Is this the way you're supposed to do this? I've got a nagging fear that it somehow comes across as horribly unprofessional.

2) Where the crap do you find job postings for publishing companies? The big names are fairly easy--just go to the company website--but I would imagine that there would be more jobs in smaller outfits--small/mid-sized presses, magazines, etceteras. Is there some sort of centralized database for that sort of thing, like Jeff Gaulin's Journalism Job Board has for Canadian journalism jobs? And is there an American equivalent to this job board? (I've got dual citizenship, so my options are fairly open.)

3) A significant portion of reporter spots I've seen require photography, too (particularly in the small-town rags). Am I going to need a degree in photography as well as writing to break into journalism, or would it be enough to have some half-decent hobbiest-grade work? And would it be worth the investment to buy a thousand-dollar camera for some hi-res portfolio work if I don't have the proper schooling--particularly since I'm shoveling poo poo for a meager stipend and looking for work in fields don't require any photography as well?

4) How suicidal is it to tinker with the idea of starting a small press of your own? Since even before graduating, I've been tinkering with the idea of throwing together a band of ragtag CC'ites to throw together a presentation of cost analysis, samples, and so forth, for an Awful Press sub-company that could assemble a number of projects, such as a monthly 'front page highlights' magazine, a literary anthology of CC fiction, a coffee table book of goon photography/artwork, etceteras. I mean, we have the talent pool, and we have a pretty significant readership base. Would this be worth the time and effort? And is there any interest from the rest of you publishing/marketing types?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Pantothenate posted:

Okay, now that I've tossed my two cents into the pot, I suppose now I should show you all how horribly unqualified I am to dole out advice by asking some questions of my own:

1.) Yeah, it is kind of unprofessional. Detail your job description and duties in your resume and trust the company you're applying to to look it up if they don't believe you. Don't send art with a resume. When I was hiring creatives I wouldn't even open emails that had picture files attached - it's a good indicator of crazy.

2.) I don't know what market you're interested in, but MediaBistro is the gold standard for American publishing jobs. It's a paid membership, but quality jobs at companies both big and small are posted there, and the articles and advice on that site are invaluable. A lot of publishers also use creative staffing agencies, or hold job fairs at nearby colleges. You'll even find job listings on Craigslist sometimes, especially for entry-level stuff.

3.) You don't need a degree, but a good portfolio couldn't hurt. Only invest as much as you're comfortable spending outright - don't plan on getting a return on that investment, in other words. I'm not an expert in photography but I think it's possible to do work that shows off your skill without having a top-of-the-line camera. Most small-town papers that want a writer/photographer will have you shooting high school soccer games and city council award ceremonies anyway, so you probably don't have to be a National Geographic-caliber photographer.

4.) I'll never tell anybody something like that is impossible, because I have one of the unlikliest jobs in the world, but starting a press is a major undertaking. You're going to need financial backing, a solid business plan, and a lot of other talented people working with you if you want to get that off the ground.

I think it would be a mistake to make that a goon-centric press. CC is a very small forum and most of the people posting work here are still students working on their craft, not professionals regularly churning out salable work with mass appeal. You mentioned targeting your sales to goons, but that makes you a vanity press at best. Remember, most goons are broke-rear end college students. You won't make any money off of them, even if they swear they'll buy. Go into any thread where people said "Oh man, I'd totally buy a t-shirt of that!" and ask the person who went ahead and opened a CafePress store how many sales he actually ended up getting. SomethingAwful feels like it has a "significant user base," but it's actually a large collection of very small boards. I would be surprised if Creative Convention had more than 50 regular posters. Do you really think you're going to sell poetry books to FYAD?

Marketing is 90% of the game with publishing. It's something that's massively complicated and expensive to do right, and there's no guarantee that it'll work even then. If you want to start a press, I'd advise having a long and informative career in publishing first, to see how everything works from the inside.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

Slashie posted:

I think it would be a mistake to make that a goon-centric press. CC is a very small forum and most of the people posting work here are still students working on their craft, not professionals regularly churning out salable work with mass appeal. You mentioned targeting your sales to goons, but that makes you a vanity press at best. Remember, most goons are broke-rear end college students. You won't make any money off of them, even if they swear they'll buy. Go into any thread where people said "Oh man, I'd totally buy a t-shirt of that!" and ask the person who went ahead and opened a CafePress store how many sales he actually ended up getting. SomethingAwful feels like it has a "significant user base," but it's actually a large collection of very small boards. I would be surprised if Creative Convention had more than 50 regular posters. Do you really think you're going to sell poetry books to FYAD?

Marketing is 90% of the game with publishing. It's something that's massively complicated and expensive to do right, and there's no guarantee that it'll work even then. If you want to start a press, I'd advise having a long and informative career in publishing first, to see how everything works from the inside.

Thank you tons for the feedback. I'm going to have to re-ponder my application strategies, and I'll definitely check out MediaBistro.

Well, of course you wouldn't be able to sell CC poetry to FYAD readers. The idea would revolve more around using the front page material as a base, and perhaps have tiny sections devoted to other things for the rest--in theory, the SA website would do to the proposed magazine what The Onion's website did to launch The Onion into the success it currently has (widespread, open-access name recognition and whatnot). Any other projects, such as the publication of CC-originated materials, would be a 'if the idea works' type of thing.

As for the limited participation of CC and segregation of the boards being an issue, the only real thing that the idea of an SA press would fish from CC would be its editorial/publishing team, which, in even the largest of small presses with which I'm familiar, is seldom more than a half-dozen people. A small magazine should need little more than a pair for editing/layout, a marketing stooge or two, and a production manager to crunch numbers and make sure that everything goes from inception to distribution in time. I don't, however, expect that it would get an inch off the ground without someone with a significant deal of experience in the world of publishing holding the reigns--but this thread leads me to believe that, in spite of limited regular participation, there are some CC'ites who are quite well-versed in such matters.

The entire concept, of course, would therefore hinge heavily upon an interest check. If we can't find at least one guru willing to take the chance, then it'll have to wait at least until I've had a chance to spend a few years active in the industry.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Is it worth it to interview for a job that has requirements that go way over my head?

I applied and have an interview for a web design position that requires knowledge of XHTML, CSS, Javascript, and search engine optimization. I know HTML and how to implement and tweak Javascript, but other than that I'll just be smiling and nodding. It's not that I can't learn (and I'm already teaching myself CSS), but I currently don't know about half the things they seem to want me to know. I think they're looking more for a web developer than a designer, really.

I'm going to interview with them either way, but is there anything I'm likely to get from this interview?

The Gallows
Aug 10, 2007

Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh.
I have been going to a community college to get a Multimedia Specialist degree in order to burn time before I decide what I really want to do. My passion is cartoons and I have always drawn cartoons since I can remember. Animation is the one thing I have always wanted to do and that is what I plan on going into after community college. I really don't know what schools I should be looking into, so I called my cousin who was an animator for Disney and Warner Brothers to see what schools I should look into. He suggest Cal Arts as number one and Ringling as number two. So really my question is which does someone think would be a better choice and if there should be another school I should look into.

Also should mention I'm from a small town in Minnesota and I definitely don't have a lot of money. Basically plan on going into hella debt for this, but don't really know what else to do.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
CalArts seems to have the best industry connections out of any schools out there. Every working animator I've ever met went there.

The Gallows
Aug 10, 2007

Yip-yip-yip-yip... Uh-huh.
Yeah, that is where my cousin went and he is doing pretty good. I will try and get out and check out the college cause I am not sure about the dorming situation and everything.

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

KittenofDoom posted:

Is it worth it to interview for a job that has requirements that go way over my head?

I applied and have an interview for a web design position that requires knowledge of XHTML, CSS, Javascript, and search engine optimization. I know HTML and how to implement and tweak Javascript, but other than that I'll just be smiling and nodding. It's not that I can't learn (and I'm already teaching myself CSS), but I currently don't know about half the things they seem to want me to know. I think they're looking more for a web developer than a designer, really.

I'm going to interview with them either way, but is there anything I'm likely to get from this interview?

If you didn't stand a shot at getting the job, they wouldn't have called you for an interview. I know a few people who got jobs that, according to the posting, they weren't entirely qualified for (a programmer and a technical writer)--and they weren't terribly overwhelmed when they settled into their respective spots.

If you're interviewed, then you're good enough for them.

Xansabar
Jan 12, 2006

Old sun and stars,
And oceans below me
Ok, I realize this is probably a really stupid question that probably has obvious answers, but here goes.

I graduated with my BFA in August. Unfortunately I never did any internships in college due to a lot of circumstances beyond my control, and don't have many contacts. I've had two interviews since I graduated, both of which went well, with one of the jobs going to someone "with more experience" (no surprise) and one I haven't heard back from yet.

Its the old catch-22: what the hell can I do to get experience when all the jobs I see require experience in my situation?! I mean, should I try a paid internship now if I can find one (if its even possible since I've graduated college)? Should I start looking heavily for freelance work online? I'm in the Syracuse, NY region if it matters, an area with a seemingly lackluster design market which is really hurting me. I'm willing to go anywhere in NY but I would prefer something in the central NY area for various reasons.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, maybe I'm freaking out over nothing. I've only been out of college two months, and a lot of people tell me that it takes a lot of people upwards of 6 months to find a job. I'm still combing Krop, Craigslist, and other similar sites as well as trying word-of-mouth in the mean time. Here's hoping...

akanekun
Apr 5, 2008
Xansabar: This is going to be specific to the games industry so I'm not sure how well it meshes with the other graphic industries, but most job postings say experience wanted but will take someone with an incredible portfolio. Basically, if your skillset matches someone with 2-3 years working experience then it'll probably be fine.

All the successful jobs I've found were all from my school's job boards, with a couple freelance gigs from craigslist, so remember to try there as well. Took me about four months before I was able to land a paid internship after graduation, to give a timeframe - this was before the economy went to poo poo, and most companies don't hire as aggressively during this time of year because projects are winding down, holidays are coming up, etc. Padded my resume with a bunch of personal projects (artbook, freelance, websites, etc.) so if you've got anything like that it'll look like you've been consistently active in pursuing career goals.

If you're able to find a startup that has consistent funding then that's also a really fast way to boost your resume since the title you'll get on that kind of project will usually be a lead position (just cuz you'll be the only artist for a while, ha).

Good luck.

Xansabar
Jan 12, 2006

Old sun and stars,
And oceans below me
Thanks for the input akanekun!

Also, another question: My girlfriend and I may be trying to move next summer (she's going to grad school), and I was just wondering if any goons could tell me what the graphic design scenes were like in/around:

• New York City, NY
• Binghamton, NY
• Sacramento, CA
• Knoxville, TN

I've checked Cragislist, but I was hoping for maybe some first-hand stories, warnings, or advice.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
I'm looking for a basic freelance graphic design contract (branding/print) that I can download and modify slightly to fit my needs for a couple of jobs I've picked up recently to supplement my income. Any links/resources are appreciated.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
Here's a couple of things I dug up quickly, I'm sure I found something better in the past so I'll keep looking. Might have been on FreelanceSwitch, I'll look there.

http://www.businessofdesignonline.com/downloads-forms/
http://www.businessofdesignonline.com/sample-pro-bono-contract/
http://blog.nerdburn.com/entries/general/sample-web-design-contract-budget-timeline-proposal

e: this?
http://freelanceswitch.com/the-business-of-freelancing/legal-resources-for-freelancers/

Zurich fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 20, 2008

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
Are there any film guys that could help me out? I'm aiming to graduate this May, possibly next fall, but I don't really have a portfolio yet:(. I will be graduating with a concentration in Video Editing, I have a few solid projects I did on my own, but that's just stuff like redone music videos or trailers for movies. I know I just made them for fun but I am quite proud of them, nevertheless I have no "real" material from working on actual sets, short films or anything like that. Is it frowned upon to use mainly your own personal work?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Does your school have a portfolio center? It's cool to put personal projects on your reel - just don't put homework assignments on there unless you absolutely have nothing else (that's kinda lame). Mostly though just start combing the earth for more opportunities to put on your reel - check your school's bulletin boards for film projects, check Craigslist... I'm sure you're already doing that though. Building your reel is tough. Good luck!

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I may need some life changing suggestions about my current situation.

Basically, I'm at SCAD in Savannah, GA and I'm not too happy with the area. I'm paying $33k~/year to attend here just for foundations, liberal classes, and later visual effects classes (what I wanted in the first place).

I understand that foundations are worth it and how it'll assist my career path and everything but I'm second guessing whether SCAD is worth the money or not.

I'm thinking of applying to MassArt and RISD to see if RISD gives me a scholarship. Not only are those two schools closer, but chances are they may actually be cheaper than this loving school.

SCAD is basically a big loving ghetto with sugar coated areas for students and tourists. Otherwise it seems like a great school...but I just don't know. I'm undecided whether I'd ever actually be happy here or not. It's also really slow compared to where I'm used to (10-15 minutes south of Boston)

Any help or suggestions definitely appreciated. My career goal is to either be a modeler or effects artist, and secondary a concept artist. Eventually open up my own studio with my own team of artists, or just find an already open studio that I'm amazingly happy at.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 22, 2008

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
The main thing I'm studying for is my uni's industry links tbh - I'd assume at SCAD you'd get a truck load of networking opportunities, placements etc? I'm not American, but that's the vibe the SCAD name gives off.

What else aren't you happy with? Is it ghetto with good teaching or ghetto with bad teaching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -

Slashie posted:

Does your school have a portfolio center? It's cool to put personal projects on your reel - just don't put homework assignments on there unless you absolutely have nothing else (that's kinda lame). Mostly though just start combing the earth for more opportunities to put on your reel - check your school's bulletin boards for film projects, check Craigslist... I'm sure you're already doing that though. Building your reel is tough. Good luck!

Cool, thanks. What about music going along with your reel, is it frowned upon if you don't have the right to use it or can you just use whatever you want?