Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

The Remote Viewer posted:

Why does my system usability tank every time I do a file operation involving large files (>20GB)? Firefox starts becoming unresponsive, programs take 5x longer to install, etc.

You can use ionice to turn down the priority on those large operations. They'll take longer to finish but anything else that needs the hard drive will be able to interrupt them so they'll run better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

bitprophet posted:

....because the software on your computer (FF, installers, etc) needs to access the hard drive pretty darn often, and if the hard drive is occupied copying a 20GB file, it's not going to be terribly responsive to these other requests?

This seems like such a basic thing I'm hoping there's another aspect to your question I'm overlooking :)

Do you ever use Windows? Because copying 100,000 files does not cause Windows to become unresponsive.

In any case, you're incorrect about the cause.

It's a bug with the CFQ scheduler.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/131094

Adding an option to grub to use one of the other schedulers makes the problem practically disappear. With CFQ enabled, Firefox would become unresponsive for literally minutes at a time. Using deadline it didn't happen once while copying 50 gigs. There were a few small hitches in responsiveness, but nothing major.

Basically what's happening is that Firefox, or whatever, requests on i/o operation, and because there are a ton of them queued up, it ends up at the end of a very long line and might not get what it requested for several minutes.

The Remote Viewer fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 22, 2008

I Hate Admin !!
Jan 19, 2007

by Nutt Hogg
I use the Intel HD audio included with my DP35DP board, and i'm having horrible awful sound quality. It crackles, distorts, and cuts in and out - no matter what program I use. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Does anyone know how to add a filetype icon to gnome? I've tried looking around and everything I found is for changing an existing filetype icon.
I just want to add one for Packet Tracer files.

Boblonious
Jan 14, 2007

I HATE PYTHON IT'S THE SHITTIEST LANGUAGE EVER PHP IS WAY BETTER BECAUSE IT IS MADE FOR THE WEB AND IT USES MYSQL WHICH IS ALSO USED BY GOOGLE AND THATS WHY ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN PYTHON EVEN HTML IS A BETTER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE THAN PYTHON

FugeesTeenMom92 posted:

I use the Intel HD audio included with my DP35DP board, and i'm having horrible awful sound quality. It crackles, distorts, and cuts in and out - no matter what program I use. Any ideas what could be wrong?

It's a long shot, because this could be anything, but open up a console and run alsamixer. Make sure the levels are sane. When this happened to me, PCM was somehow set at 600.

I Hate Admin !!
Jan 19, 2007

by Nutt Hogg

Boblonious posted:

It's a long shot, because this could be anything, but open up a console and run alsamixer. Make sure the levels are sane. When this happened to me, PCM was somehow set at 600.

does this look sane?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

FugeesTeenMom92 posted:

does this look sane?

I'd suggest turning down PCM until the gain is zero dB.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^
Does anybody else experience this: After I play Flash with audio (e.g. Youtube videos) I can't play gstreamer audio; Totem and Rhythmbox just won't start playing. I Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, but then after I use gstreamer, Flash won't have audio.

This is really annoying. I'm hoping Intrepid / the new flash player will resolve this?

Eyecannon posted:

^^^ It looks like you want to shrink an LVM partition while it has data on it and you want to maintain that data? Bad idea, not even sure if it will work. The tried and true method is to backup your data to an external HDD, then reorganize your partitions, then copy the data back over.

Growing LVM = no problem
Shrinking LVM = problems
Thanks for the warning, I'll take that into account and probably back up the system in addition to the home folder.

Ashex posted:

Does anyone know how to add a filetype icon to gnome? I've tried looking around and everything I found is for changing an existing filetype icon.
I just want to add one for Packet Tracer files.
File handling and icons depend on the mimetype, not the extension, so I'm not sure if this will help but http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=302549

E: Wait, further down in that thread they're talking about associating mime types, that might work for you.

Lucien fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 23, 2008

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'm looking for an audio player that runs in a terminal and has a library listing, so that you can access the songs by artist -> album -> song title. Anyone know of any good ones?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Bonus posted:

I'm looking for an audio player that runs in a terminal and has a library listing, so that you can access the songs by artist -> album -> song title. Anyone know of any good ones?

Try going to (from memory) preferences -> sound and selecting ALSA instead of pulseaudio for all the various sound devices. The not-so-hardy Heron seems to have loads of problems like this judging by a google search.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Maybe I was wrong about Compiz just being worthless eye-candy. I mean, that's essentially what it is what you enable desktop effects on Ubuntu, but if you actually play with the settings, it is pretty innovative.

In addition to all the usual stuff that's enabled with Ubuntu, I now have live window preview when hovering over a taskbar button (if you have video playing it will be playing the preview). I have six virtual desktops which I finally found a use for. I can have a full-screen movie playing on one desktop, firefox and other applications in another, and a full-screen game on yet another. I can hit CTRL-ALT-DOWN and seamlessly switch between them using an Expose-like feature that also has live updates. It actually looks better than Expose from what little I've seen of it.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

Col posted:

Try going to (from memory) preferences -> sound and selecting ALSA instead of pulseaudio for all the various sound devices. The not-so-hardy Heron seems to have loads of problems like this judging by a google search.
I believe you quoted the wrong post, because it seems like this solved my problem. Thank you!

Edit: One more thing though: when I plug in my headphones, my laptop speakers go silent, the headphones work. I turn the volume all the way down to mute, then I turn it back up and sound comes out of both the headphones and the laptop speakers. Same thing happens when i boot with headphones plugged in. I have to plug them out and in again to mute the laptop speakers.

Any ideas?

Lucien fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 24, 2008

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

Just wanted you to know your dinner's cold and the children all agree you're a shitheel!
When using ssh-agent, is there an easy way to connect to an existing ssh-agent session? Let me explain..

Say I start ssh-agent on my desktop, having it launch my window manager (ssh-agent startxfce4). So all the programs that are launched under xfce4 have the correct environment variables set.

Then I log in via SSH from somewhere else. The environment variables are not set because I'm not logging in under my xfce4 session.

What I can do is find the PID of some process that is under the xfce4 session, and read /proc/{pid}/environ to get the environment variables (and then manually set them with export), but this requres root access and is a bore. Is there another way? Or perhaps there is a good reason why this is not the default behaviour of ssh-agent?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mashi posted:

When using ssh-agent, is there an easy way to connect to an existing ssh-agent session? Let me explain..

you can add logic to your shell startup to do something like"

code:
if [ -z $SSH_AUTH_SOCK ]; then
  # stash ssh_auth_sock and ssh_agent_pid to a file
else
  # source/eval the stashed away info
fi
Your shells within xfce will stash it, your new shells will grab the existing agent. I do something similar on cygwin, where I only use standalone rxvt's with no x server or DE.

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

Just wanted you to know your dinner's cold and the children all agree you're a shitheel!

covener posted:

Your shells within xfce will stash it, your new shells will grab the existing agent. I do something similar on cygwin, where I only use standalone rxvt's with no x server or DE.

Pretty neat. Using this method you avoid having to start your desktop manager underneath ssh-agent. I wonder why everyone isn't doing it.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Mashi posted:

Pretty neat. Using this method you avoid having to start your desktop manager underneath ssh-agent. I wonder why everyone isn't doing it.

I think inheriting it from your xsession is the way to go when you can, I wouldn't ever use this kludge to replace it.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
I'm curious about this. I got home yesterday and turned on my linux box, ubuntu 8.04 specifically, and was greeted by my video drivers not working. I had been using the latest drivers from Nvidia's website not the open-source ones or the ones that get installed with the Envy program. I struggled with it for about 4 hours try this and that, but could only get this to about 90% back to normal. I could change settings to the resolution I wanted but nothing would stick when I would logoff.

Finally I remembered I had done a tar of my filesystem two days previous. So needless to say about 5 minutes later I was back in business and everything was 100%. Could this have easily been prevented by having a backup of my xorg.conf, or does installing and compiling the drivers from Nvidia's site actually put other files in that I need. Watching the install it seemed that there were other specific drivers files that might have been created. The card is an 8800gts if that matters at all.

Mashi
Aug 15, 2005

covener posted:

I think inheriting it from your xsession is the way to go when you can, I wouldn't ever use this kludge to replace it.

I am inheriting it from my xsession, the issue is getting access when you ssh in.

case
Mar 27, 2005

After trying out xbmc I have a couple of issues with video playback. Videos play fine but when I go to full screen the resolution is not changed it seems to just zoom the video, that is the pixels end up huge. It's not an issue with a graphics driver since xbmc scales videos fine. I'm using vlc and totem, the issues seem to be the same.

XMBC is too big and clunky to use for simple video playback, and previous to installing it I had no issues at all.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
If I install ubunru from scratch, what is the least I need to get my sound working? I know I need to install alsa drivers or something, but what is the minimum i need to get everything going, does it depend on what sound card I have?

mynameischainsaw
Aug 12, 2008
hey guys, i just installed ubuntu 8.04.1 on an old hp laptop. so far i'm digging it pretty well, but i'm having some questions/problems (all of which are user error as far as i can tell). I want to run this thing headless, and VNC in with my mac to start torrents and use mediatomb to serve up videos and music to my ps3.

I guess I'll start with the first problem I'm having - when I try to install the 224 updates I have it gives me the error:

"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

I type in 'dpkg --configure -a' and it gives me this:

'dpkg: need an action option'

I don't know what to do here. I don't even know where to start.

Second, is there a setting or command line option to disable the Question that pops up when I start to VNC in with my mac? I'd hate to have to click 'allow' every time I want to add some media to mediatomb or whatever.

DEAR GOONS PLEASE HELP ME

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

Megaman posted:

If I install ubunru from scratch, what is the least I need to get my sound working? I know I need to install alsa drivers or something, but what is the minimum i need to get everything going, does it depend on what sound card I have?

For most people, it should just work right away. If it doesn't, then what you need to do depends on your soundcard.

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

mynameischainsaw posted:

I type in 'dpkg --configure -a' and it gives me this:

'dpkg: need an action option'

I can't reproduce this; --configure is an action option. Are you absolutely sure you didn't typo it?

mynameischainsaw
Aug 12, 2008

ShoulderDaemon posted:

I can't reproduce this; --configure is an action option. Are you absolutely sure you didn't typo it?

ah, i was putting a space between --configure, its doing something now.

thanks!

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Is there a way to move all of the contents of /a/b/ to /a/ ? Caveat: all of the contents in /a/b/ are folders with things in them.

edit: command I'm trying is "mv /a/b/* /a/" and getting back "mv: cannot move `/a/b/X' to `/a/X': Directory not empty

edit2: 'cp -R /a/b/* /a/' worked :)

do it fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 26, 2008

Lucien
May 2, 2007

do it posted:

Is there a way to move all of the contents of /a/b/ to /a/ ? Caveat: all of the contents in /a/b/ are folders with things in them.

edit: command I'm trying is "mv /a/b/* /a/" and getting back "mv: cannot move `/a/b/X' to `/a/X': Directory not empty

(why is this so hard? :( )
It seems like you already have an /a/X directory that is not empty?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Hey, if anyone is interested, I found a cool little app called mpd which is basically a music server daemon and then i got a frontend for it called ncmpcpp. It's really cool cause ncmpcpp is just what I was looking for and I can also control mpd straight from the commandline or from a Firefox extension. It also has gapless playback and the library organization feature works great.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Bonus posted:

Hey, if anyone is interested, I found a cool little app called mpd which is basically a music server daemon and then i got a frontend for it called ncmpcpp. It's really cool cause ncmpcpp is just what I was looking for and I can also control mpd straight from the commandline or from a Firefox extension. It also has gapless playback and the library organization feature works great.

To anyone interested, there are a couple GUI frontends that are pretty similar to other library-based media player applications and available in Gtk and Qt. mpd is a pretty neat little program that would be perfect in a media server environment.

Boblonious
Jan 14, 2007

I HATE PYTHON IT'S THE SHITTIEST LANGUAGE EVER PHP IS WAY BETTER BECAUSE IT IS MADE FOR THE WEB AND IT USES MYSQL WHICH IS ALSO USED BY GOOGLE AND THATS WHY ITS SO MUCH BETTER THAN PYTHON EVEN HTML IS A BETTER PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE THAN PYTHON

Bonus posted:

Thanks for mentioning this. It's just what I need for a project idea I've had.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Bonus posted:

I would drop all my other media players instantly for this if it had some sort of rating support. It was supposed to be in 0.13 but now it is slated for 0.14.

ISOLATEDViRuS
Dec 20, 2006
Semotus Virus
ive had experience with MPD, its a wonderful daemon and one thing i LOVED about the thing was lets say i was in the middle of a song and i shutdown/restarted/logged out. the instant i logged back in it restarted, right on the exact same spot in the song, same playlist etc. its a fast loading daemon and it not only has a command line NCurses frontend, but a gui one that is also easy to use

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
mpd sounds pretty interesting and appears to do what I've been trying to make Amarok due for awhile. One thing to mention, I spent 15 minutes trying to figure why it wouldn't grab the music after I created the config file. gotta do mpc --create-db

Edit: Still working on getting the alsa mixer setup. If anyone has set it up and has it working, wouldn't mind getting some help with it. Followed wiki and get the error:
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:874:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave

Some issue with asound.conf

Ashex fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 27, 2008

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

niss posted:

I'm curious about this. I got home yesterday and turned on my linux box, ubuntu 8.04 specifically, and was greeted by my video drivers not working.

If I had to guess, I would suggest that you had a kernel update via automatic updates. The nvidia driver install you did probably used the sources for the old kernel and therefore the old module wouldn't load after the new kernel was used when you turned the computer on.

You didn't say exactly what your attempted fixes involved, but I would have expected a fresh install of the nvidia drivers to have fixed it.

If this did turn out to be the case then it is certainly an advantage to using the restricted drivers manager, as your nvidia kernel module will automatically move in step with kernel upgrades.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008
So I have a question that I feel is so basic that I must be overlooking something...

I am attempting to compile a program which requires the mpcdec lib. I have installed this library both through yast as well as from source, but the ./configure script of the program i am trying t compile is not able to detect the library

So just to test things, when compiling the library from source I set the prefix myself:

code:
/usr/local/lib/libmpcdec
I used LDFLAGS as specified in the ./configure --help output for libraries located in non-standard locations

So, I define the variable:

code:
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib/libmpcdec
The configure script still does not recognize the library. Are there any suggestions or is there something that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

Col posted:

If I had to guess, I would suggest that you had a kernel update via automatic updates. The nvidia driver install you did probably used the sources for the old kernel and therefore the old module wouldn't load after the new kernel was used when you turned the computer on.

You didn't say exactly what your attempted fixes involved, but I would have expected a fresh install of the nvidia drivers to have fixed it.

If this did turn out to be the case then it is certainly an advantage to using the restricted drivers manager, as your nvidia kernel module will automatically move in step with kernel upgrades.

I believe you are right, I must have accidentally done a kernel update and not realized it and didn't reboot my computer right away. Since the same thing happened again tonight right after I did another update and rebooted. I was able to get it up and going much faster this time. Shut down the gdm, uninstalled the nvidia drivers via envy, rebooted, reinstalled nvidia drivers via envy. Then I downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and ran the install and was back on the latest version on the new kernel.

I am sure I did that process the previous time, but I am not sure why it didn't work.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

thesuever posted:

So I have a question that I feel is so basic that I must be overlooking something...
Not an expert on this, but have you tried
code:
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
This was posted in Coupons & Deals!

Today, Oct 28th, you can download/register CrossOver Games and/or CrossOver Pro for Free. Get it Here : http://down.codeweavers.com/

Both Linux and Mac Versions are available.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Apparently Ubuntu has gotten massively slower in many benchmarks since 7.04.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bench_2008&num=1

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Hey goons.

Currently what I have running is a VNCoverSSH setup to my house. I have a bit of an odd questions though. Is there a way that I can set up my ubuntu linux box to forward traffic on a certain port to another machine? Here's what I was thinking:

code:
Internets
   |
   |
  SSH
   |
Linux Box --Port 5901--> Windows Laptop
Since I want to still be able to VNC in to my linux machine, but I also want to VNC to my windows laptop, is there a way that I can have all traffic from 5901 over the SSH tunnel forwarded to it?

If you need a better explanation I can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
I'm about to buy a 4th gen EEE PC (701) and it comes preloaded with the Xandros operating system. Seeing as the machine only has a 4GB HD and, apparently, the install of Xandros takes up 2.5GB I was wondering if it was feasible to install Xubuntu instead as it only needs 1.5GB.

Is this even a good idea? I know pretty much nothing about Linux but have heard people rave about Ubuntu as a good switching OS for Windows users.