Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

uuugghhhhhhhh jr posted:

He was "arguably the best arrow-catcher in the world." I think he held the record for Most Number of Arrows Caught in a minute* or something.

*but you can only draw the bow halfway and you must aim to the side of him at arm level and not too fast also always at the same point and very slow and you must shout that you are about to shoot an arrow very slowly 3 seconds before you shoot it and the minute is actually not in real time but in flight time of the arrows and the competition is to be held in ninjafag's mom's basement with no outside observation or verification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Yeah the ninja guy was pretty ridiculous. Whenever they have some kind of martial arts expert or ninja on these sorts of shows it's always some middle aged white guy, are there no actual japanese people that still practice this stuff anymore?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Gazaar posted:

Yeah the ninja guy was pretty ridiculous. Whenever they have some kind of martial arts expert or ninja on these sorts of shows it's always some middle aged white guy, are there no actual japanese people that still practice this stuff anymore?

Well weren't ninjas just farmer mercenaries? What was there to practice besides the basics of being an assassin? I always assumed it was modern, probably western, cultures that turned the nearly mythical stories of the exploits of some assassins in Japan into an actual martial art.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
They've all been shamed by the white devil taking a hearty poo poo all over their traditions, and have since pursued other things.

Time Warp is loving awesome. I thought I'd be tired of the diet coke + mentos thing but I guess more frames per second make things fun v:shobon:v

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

ToastyPotato posted:

Well weren't ninjas just farmer mercenaries? What was there to practice besides the basics of being an assassin? I always assumed it was modern, probably western, cultures that turned the nearly mythical stories of the exploits of some assassins in Japan into an actual martial art.

I really have no idea, I always just thought they were just dudes with their own martial arts style that emphasized speed and stealth. I'm sure wikipedia would just love to tell us some amazing stories that never actually happened. Who knows, who cares.

Agreeing that Time Warp is pretty sweet but they do need more and varied high speed caps. An episode dedicated to olympic track & field events would be amazing.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

I always assumed it was modern, probably western, cultures that turned the nearly mythical stories of the exploits of some assassins in Japan into an actual martial art.

That's my understanding. An acquaintance knew someone who lived in Japan, and they told him that the idea of studying "ninjitsu" was roughly like studying "Superman."

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Philanthropists Anonymous

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

That's my understanding. An acquaintance knew someone who lived in Japan, and they told him that the idea of studying "ninjitsu" was roughly like studying "Superman."

When I was 9 years old, I got a book about ninjas second hand, I've long since forgotten the name. I thought it was the greatest thing ever, and read through it over the next few days thinking that I was reading some secret privileged information. I still remember the last sentence of the book. I'm paraphrasing, but it basically said: In reality, if you want to be a ninja, your best bet is to take karate lessons, buy a pair of black pajamas, and a ski-mask.

I was crushed.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
When I was homestaying in Japan the ~8 year old son in the family had a book of historical ninja facts he loved. They seemed pretty down to earth, though, one I remember was that ninjas would use female dogs in heat to distract guard dogs(which, luckily, Mythbusters already tested).

So while Japanese children think ninja are cool too (example: Naruto), the stories and legends have probably been greatly inflated for western audiences.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Bremen posted:

When I was homestaying in Japan the ~8 year old son in the family had a book of historical ninja facts he loved. They seemed pretty down to earth, though, one I remember was that ninjas would use female dogs in heat to distract guard dogs(which, luckily, Mythbusters already tested).

So while Japanese children think ninja are cool too (example: Naruto), the stories and legends have probably been greatly inflated for western audiences.

Well they were kind of inflated over there as well. Ninja have been assigned many insane abilities due to myths and legends, and those abilities carried over into modern entertainment (See: NINJA VANISH!, ninja "cloning", water walking, etc.)

I think that the show kind of missed the point with the arrow catching. I think the ninja man kind of provided a proof of concept. He caught an arrow, deflected a bunch, and cut one in half mid flight with his sword. All it would have taken was a couple of ninjas to do SOME of these things in front of witnesses for an ancient game of telephone to start up. Centuries later, ninjas catch arrows.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

the-jam posted:

New episodes of Survivorman start November 7th.

This is a great year.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Mike Rowe sucking the testicles out of a sheep pretty much makes my day, goddamn I love him

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
More drinking on Mythbusters tonight!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Karthillion posted:

I'd love to see the outtakes from one of these episodes. I can well imagine Jamie is one mean drunk.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Karthillion posted:

They're testing "Beer Goggles" so I've got my fingers crossed for more drunk Jamie.

Anyone catch Storm Chasers on Sunday? I've got it on my Tivo but I haven't watched it yet.

I'm watching Time Warp right now - it looked like they were doing those dry-ice bombs without a blast shield? That's nuts - a PET bottle could seriously screw you up if it went off that close, I'm surprised no one got hurt. Either I just missed the blast shield or they got incredibly lucky.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

LordOfThePants posted:

I'm watching Time Warp right now - it looked like they were doing those dry-ice bombs without a blast shield? That's nuts - a PET bottle could seriously screw you up if it went off that close, I'm surprised no one got hurt. Either I just missed the blast shield or they got incredibly lucky.

This show is really boring. I gave it my best shot, but there's not much to this.

Good idea. Poor execution.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

This show is really boring. I gave it my best shot, but there's not much to this.

Good idea. Poor execution.

They spend way too much time on each setup which makes the show drag on. It's better with a 30 minute format, but when they stick two episodes back to back it doesn't help.

I have a goal for tomorrow now: Get my boss to sign off on one of those Smart Boards - that thing is all kinds of awesome.

Free Market Gravy
Sep 17, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

I'd love to see the outtakes from one of these episodes. I can well imagine Jamie is one mean drunk.

I think the entire crew went drinking once to celebrate something and after some tiny thing set Jamie off, he spent hours just staring at the wall, drinking and silent.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
You know Jamie was dying to do this.

Nice super slo-mo. Take that Time Warp!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If they just intersperse that clip of Jamie slapping the poo poo out of Adam a couple times in every episode I'd like this show more.

Always Shirtless
Oct 14, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Time warp is an awesome show, especially if you skip all the setup and just watch the pretty slow things. The bubbles popping in slow motion was really cool.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I liked the underwater CO2 shockwave too. It was very Hunt for Red October.

But then they throw in filler like the tablecloth. Guess what guys: the plates and silverware doesn't move in slow-mo either.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

907KB version with more frames

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 24, 2008

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I love you for that.

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

slap.gif

Next week on Time Warp.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

New episodes of Time Warp, Mythbusters, and Prototype This on tonight. Mythbusters is doing an Indiana Jones myth (I think they're re-creating the motorcycle flip from The Last Crusade).

Looks like they might be tasering someone on Time Warp.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

First new episode of Survivorman is up tonight, and it looks to be interesting.

quote:

When "Survivorman" Les Stroud gets lost in the rugged Sierra Nevada mountains, a Search and Rescue team is called in to track him down.

I also caught this article off Yahoo earlier about how this is the last season for Survivorman and Les is moving on to do other stuff.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081107/people_nm/us_stroud;_ylt=AqKZTW_JBByqIUOKIn2aCPBxFb8C

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It does kind of seem like he's done every environment already.

(Actually, it seemed that way after the first season.)

Karthillion
Mar 18, 2006
Glad someone mentioned that there was new Survivorman. Shame about it being his last season though.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
Nice of the Mythbusters crew to point out that .45ACP is slow, and note the difference between shot loads.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

BinaryW00kie posted:

I also caught this article off Yahoo earlier about how this is the last season for Survivorman and Les is moving on to do other stuff.

"It takes a lot out of me as I really do what I do for real, with no camera crew, no nights in hotels like others do, and it takes a toll on my body," Stroud told Reuters.

Heh. I can see why he's quitting. Starve for a week in the wilderness only to play second fiddle to crazy commando brit and his team of cameramen. (However, even though I'm slightly ashamed to admit it, but I do find Man vs. Wild to be more entertaining than Survivorman.)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Universe Master posted:

"It takes a lot out of me as I really do what I do for real, with no camera crew, no nights in hotels like others do, and it takes a toll on my body," Stroud told Reuters.

Heh. I can see why he's quitting. Starve for a week in the wilderness only to play second fiddle to crazy commando brit and his team of cameramen. (However, even though I'm slightly ashamed to admit it, but I do find Man vs. Wild to be more entertaining than Survivorman.)

He said the same on last night's show. I got a chuckle.

Man vs Wild is okay, but Grylls can be annoying as gently caress.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Universe Master posted:

He doesn't have to starve, he could eat gross stuff and drink his own pee like Bear does.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Les owns and Survivorman is awesome. Man vs. Wild is just Jackass in the woods.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Les Stroud is king now and forever, survivorman is infinitely more entertaining than man vs wild will ever be.

Next mythbusters they're doing idioms so get ready for another retarded filler episode, they're doing such amazing things as "hit the ground running."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

On the bright side, that could potentially involve Jamie pushing Adam out of a moving vehicle.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I wish, the tiny clip I saw in the commercial had tory strung up in a harness running in mid air then they just drop him on the ground.

Sooo

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

IRQ posted:

He doesn't have to starve, he could eat gross stuff and drink his own pee like Bear does.

Don't forget stopping by Outback for a nice steak after the days shooting, that always helps to.

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005
gently caress Bear Grylls and his stupid accent.

Les Stroud, Jamie Hyneman, and Mike Rowe are the gods of mankind. We should all aspire to be as they are.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

SupahCoolX posted:

Les Stroud, Jamie Hyneman, and Mike Rowe are the gods of mankind. We should all aspire to be as they are.

What's wrong with Adam Savage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

-Atom- posted:

What's wrong with Adam Savage?

What isn't? I completely understand why Jamie always looks half a second away from decking him.

• Locked thread