Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Am I the only one who doesn't mind the speed of things and is just enjoying seeing where things go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Pope Guilty posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't mind the speed of things and is just enjoying seeing where things go?

Nope, I'm with you. I'm still enjoying the hell out of the strip, it's the characters that are the draw for me, far more than the over-arching story.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pope Guilty posted:

Pretty much this. I can't bring myself to honestly care how fast he's going given that this is a webcomic I check every three or four days and spent MAYBE 3 minutes on. If in that time I am entertained in any way then it's a success.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite
I'll admit, I think I enjoyed that pedicure joke more than I should have. :buddy:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm with you. It's a comic strip, I don't expect rapid advances in the story all the time. As long as it gets a chuckle out of me, I'm good.

But the 600th strip still pissed me off.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Anybody who complains about OotS's pacing clearly never was a regular reader of Sluggy Freelance. In comparison Rich could smear poo on his tablet and still have better pacing and editorial restraint.

Kahrytes
Jun 4, 2004

Now I need a drink. Not this one. Another one. And in a different place.

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm just worried that the creator of OotS, who I'm pretty sure is ill, will die before he finishes the comic. I really like the comic and I want to see it finished satisfactorily.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm with you. It's a comic strip, I don't expect rapid advances in the story all the time. As long as it gets a chuckle out of me, I'm good.

But the 600th strip still pissed me off.

I thought it was a classic bit of The Simpsons-style "gently caress what you were expecting" comedy.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kahrytes posted:

I'm just worried that the creator of OotS, who I'm pretty sure is ill, will die before he finishes the comic. I really like the comic and I want to see it finished satisfactorily.
crohn's isn't fatal.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

The Werle posted:

Anybody who complains about OotS's pacing clearly never was a regular reader of Sluggy Freelance. In comparison Rich could smear poo on his tablet and still have better pacing and editorial restraint.

Yes, there being something worse out there always justifies things. If you think my Buffy self-insertion fanfic is bad you must never have read Dave's Buffy self-insertion fanfic.

I don't think anything is wrong with the pacing, yet. If the tension build up doesn't pay off well enough then I'll change my mind.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
We who don't mind the pacing don't post and whine about the pacing, which is why you don't hear fom us so often :)

Affi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 19, 2008

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Remember that the series started out as a bunch of one-off gag strips set in a generic dungeon. All of this storyline crap is just a bonus, it's not the point of the strip.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Werle posted:

I used to read Sluggy. I loved it, until sometime after Bun-Bub's massacre of the holidays.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American

ConfusedUs posted:

I used to read Sluggy. I loved it, until sometime after Bun-Bub's massacre of the holidays.

You got out when it was just bad and not yet totally awful. It got so much worse. I quit reading a year or two ago.

In regards to OotS, hopefully Roy's focus on Haley and Celia will mean the strip focuses on them for a bit. I expect them to find a toe in Roy's boots, leave the golem alone, and get outta dodge while whatserface tries to hunt them down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ConfusedUs posted:

Huh. That's exactly where I dropped it too.

Did Torg and Zoe ever get together or are they still Ross-and-Racheling that one after 11 years?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

Did Torg and Zoe ever get together or are they still Ross-and-Racheling that one after 11 years?

After this discussion I loaded up sluggy (and was suprised it still existed) and read from Feb '07 till sometime about October '07, and as of that point, they were still Ross-and-Racheling

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

CapnAndy posted:

They're vaguely kinda together right now. It could at least be argued they're dating, even if they don't say it.

I have no idea why I still read it at this point, because it really is pretty awful now. Doing so irregularly and skipping chunks is probably the secret.

Bun-Bun's arcs really were the worst though.

Edit:
Heads up to anyone else this occurs to, just because Bun-Bun's were the worst does not mean there's anything remotely worth going back for.

vvvvvvvvvvvv

shadysight fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 20, 2008

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I also went and loaded up Sluggy to see what had happened in the last three years (or whatever). I was greeted by some sort of abomination that seems to involve Torg, Bacon, and Aylee in some bizarre Anime-look. Close Tab, forget.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

That's about the point I stopped caring, but thanks to inertia I didn't stop reading until the second or third Harry Potter parody arc. We should be grateful that Rich doesn't run the same extended plot arc into the ground more than once.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Sluggy gives me the impression that it would be a lot more readable if the dude put more effort into the art. I am not sure that would work with OOTS!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Vanadium posted:

Sluggy gives me the impression that it would be a lot more readable if the dude put more effort into the art. I am not sure that would work with OOTS!

Burlew is a really good artist. I mean I know he uses stick figures but that's a style choice, not a skill iimit. The little touches are great, and he has done some really great splashes with perspective and detail.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Ashcans posted:

Burlew is a really good artist. I mean I know he uses stick figures but that's a style choice, not a skill iimit. The little touches are great, and he has done some really great splashes with perspective and detail.

The style choice makes for a lot of really bland shots, though, and most characters have a range of about four facial expressions.

I am still following OOTS because its updates at least have a decent portion of moving the plot forward and the art is way less annoying to look at. :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The last couple of weeks have really been slow on updates. This makes me sad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Update Time!

Click here for the full 754x1818 image.

PLOT!

Okay, interrupted plot, but plot nonetheless.

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

MikeJF posted:

Update Time!

Click here for the full 754x1818 image.

PLOT!

Okay, interrupted plot, but plot nonetheless.

Okay, I'm happy with this. It's a little wordy (my god he's been getting wordy lately), but the cutaway panel joke at least shows me he still cares, dammit!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Isn't Loki the trickster god? I think Pete's not gonna get exactly what he wants.

But it looks like the party may have a new cleric (at least temporarily).

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
Understanding genre conventions really is the most powerful ability anyone could possibly have.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
That was a very excellent strip =) I didn't even suspect Blind Pete of trechery, mainly 'cause they'd been holed up in his basement for a week. Little did I know he was using that time to bargain with their lives :P

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
OK, that was actually pretty damned funny. I like the cleric's reaction to the cutaway panel.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

I could have sworn that I called that one.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nosy_G posted:

I could have sworn that I called that one.

When even the characters in the comic itself call it, I don't think it's all that hard to call.

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!
There's a new comic up!

And rehosted.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The last few panels got a laugh out of me. And it looks like it's full steam ahead here. I'm back into this again.

Amused Frog posted:

And rehosted.

Huh, I've never noticed this before, but there are no external ads on the comic page at OOTS. Just the one there for his own book. Surely a few subtle Adwords might pay for some better hosting?

Amused Frog
Sep 8, 2006
Waah no fair my thread!

MikeJF posted:

The last few panels got a laugh out of me. And it looks like it's full steam ahead here. I'm back into this again.

Here's hoping the cleric gets the message through.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Huh, I've never noticed this before, but there are no external ads on the comic page at OOTS. Just the one there for his own book. Surely a few subtle Adwords might pay for some better hosting?

It hasn't been crashing on me since he added the RSS feed. I don't think he needs it.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Well, I'm pretty sure that cleric buddy is going to break Belkar's MoJ so that he (the cleric) has a better chance of survival with another combatant in the mix. At least most of the people she's facing have d6 HD.

Hmm... won't the warding of this room block the Sending spell?

edit: I don't really remember if speculation is supposed to be spoilered or not, but I'd rather not risk it.

LightWarden fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 23, 2008

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Amused Frog posted:

Here's hoping the cleric gets the message through.

My bet is the Sending reaches some other bald dwarf named Durkon.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

They should be sending for Vaarsuvius :(

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Vanadium posted:

But then there'd be no plot!

Considering the priority is to raise some dead, I can understand this though. Besides, to send to V, they'd probably have to specify a gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Vanadium posted:

V can't teleport either. It's a conjuration spell, which is his barred school.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0340.html