Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
I have a feeling that when this guitar is completed it's going to sounds like a 100% wet reverse reverb without any pedals. I can't wait. Seriously, the website for those pickups you got had the most amazing sound samples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpeeMar
Mar 3, 2008

BahDunDunKet
DabbaDunDunShaa

a sharp thing posted:

My new drumset is now complete! The drums were made by acrylicdrumsheaven, and I got my cymbals Zildjian and Saluda.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/568183689fLaZVX

What are the specs on your kit bro?

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Ok I don't know if I just did something wrong, but I just bought this:

It's a Dave Smith Prophet '08.
After messing with my Korg Polysix for quite some time now, I decided that I loved those two things: poly analog sounds and hands-on/expressive keyboards.

Which one too choose? I really like vintage stuff now, but they often cost a lot and I still have to pay bills. However, I really wanted something big, so I said to myself: save up until you can afford this OB-X / Andromeda A6 / Prophet 5 you want. But I saw this, checked out many videos and reviews and decided that this would sound very close to the OB-Xa, have some features of the P5 (not the same tone though), and would be more fun to program sounds for than the A6 (while admittedly less complex). So this is basically the reasoning behind my foolish act.

This video explains what I'm trying to say.

So here I am, waiting alone in the dark for this synth to arrive. Pray for me, sons.

Ghostpilots
Sep 24, 2004

Vigilant Sidekick

Handen posted:

gently caress that is gorgeous looking

I'm still amazed by the fact that you can even MAKE a guitar neck out of solid aluminum. I mean, I know it'll work as a neck, and I know that the jump from solid rock maple to aluminum probably isn't as big as I'd imagine, but I never really put the two together, and I certainly never found myself thinking 'gee, I wonder what a guitar with a neck machined out of solid aluminum would sound like'.

Course, I did say almost the exact same thing when I first heard about plexiglass guitar bodies

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

SpeeMar posted:

What are the specs on your kit bro?

DRUMS:

14x10 snare (customized with a black dot head, I actually forgot where I got it because I've had it so long)

Everything mentioned here is custom acrylic by RCI:

10x5.5 snare (not pictured, not my main snare, figuring out a cool way to utilize it)
10x7 tom
12x9 tom
14x10 tom
18x18 floor tom
22x20 kick drum

CYMBALS
Zildjian 13" ZHT Mastersound Hi-Hat Pair Cymbal
Zildjian 14" ZXT Trashformer Cymbal
Zildjian 16" A Custom ReZo Crash Cymbal
Zildjian 18" A Series Thin Crash Cymbal
Saluda 21" Earthworks Ride
Saluda 24" Voodoo Pre-Aged China

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I havent picked it up or paid for it yet (left a deposit since im going on holiday this week and it was the last one in stock and on sale), but I just bought this. Markbass R500 head and classic series 4x10

Pairing it with a rockbass corvette in red/black stain.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

7.62WorldOrder posted:

Can anyone tell me what kind of desk this is, and where I might find one?

That's my desk! It's this:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Studio-RTA-Creation-Station-Studio-Desk?sku=546550

I got it off CraigsList for $70 or so, pretty good deal. I absolutely love it.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Handen posted:

What does that weigh compared to the Fender neck?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

SteelWav posted:

Your wallet must be totally bled empty right now with all the purchases.

Leave something for some nice FX gear!

3ric
Dec 13, 2006

Not your academy
Getting this on Tuesday. I can't wait!

Click here for the full 450x600 image.

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Yoozer posted:

Your wallet must be totally bled empty right now with all the purchases.

Leave something for some nice FX gear!

My wallet is ok, thank you. However, I don't think I'll buy any big synth for quite a while, and I'll take this time to figure out the ones I use less and probably sell them. Also, for the FX, I might try to get a tape echo, but one of my friend already has the reverbs and all that sweet stuff. He also already has a RE-201, but in this case I think it's better to have it right when you're composing than when you're mixing.

Can't wait for that Prophet though.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

3ric posted:

Getting this on Tuesday. I can't wait!

Click here for the full 450x600 image.

Who made this? That's quite the nifty short-scale fretless.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

IanTheM posted:

Are you getting a metal body too?

Nope. Got an alder OCR CIJ Jaguar body.

AstroZamboni posted:

Jesus gently caress, is that ever shiny...

Future's bright, wear shades. :c00l:

Zakalwe posted:

I have a feeling that when this guitar is completed it's going to sounds like a 100% wet reverse reverb without any pedals. I can't wait. Seriously, the website for those pickups you got had the most amazing sound samples.

I'll post clips when it's all together.

Costello Jello posted:

What does that weigh compared to the Fender neck?

Not sure yet... I just paid the man this morning, so I'll let you know when it gets here.

It's hollow, which Mr. Bailey says is about 0.5bs lighter than a solid neck, and should be around 2.5-3lbs.

3ric
Dec 13, 2006

Not your academy

AstroZamboni posted:

Who made this? That's quite the nifty short-scale fretless.

I really wanted a short-scale banjo that I could move around without worrying too much. It's made by Eric Prust. I think the cost was something like $220 or so ($200 without the position markers) and he makes them custom, which is an amazing deal. It's going to have to hold me over until I get my custom Jason Romero (on order, but not going to be built until February or March).

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Thanks to Just Chompin' my MicronTaurus synth rig is complete.

Going to use this to play pads and sub-bass stuff while playing bass and make crazy sounds.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Not a purchase since I was given it for free, but comes with a couple purchase questions. Was given a MIM Strat with just a humbucker in the bridge position. Sounds fun to me, tuned it up and played a little with a coin today since I don't have a pick anywhere. The strings have a little rust(?) on them presumably from lack of use (hence getting it for free), do those need to be replaced immediately? I've got a Wasabi OD pedal already from one of the deals that you all linked to, but I want distortion too, is the Little Big Muff the way to go? I'm going to be practicing in a small apartment where I already play v-drums and synths with a keyboard amp, but need to be able to crank it up enough to compete with drums and bass in a practice setting. Looking at the 15W Roland Cube, am I headed in the right direction?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Ville Valo posted:

The strings have a little rust(?) on them presumably from lack of use (hence getting it for free), do those need to be replaced immediately?

If they're rusted then definitely change them out. The guitar will sound better and will be easier to play. Also Microcubes are great.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I've changed my default "small amp" recommendation from Microcube to Fender Champ 600. 5W bugger, phenomenal tone. A fuzz face (or Generic Overdrive, I guess - I bet the Wasabi will sound great into it, but if you want me to check I can just plug one into it and see for you) into this is heaven. I'm playing it more than my Randall, THD, or Peavey amps, and more than my computer modelers too. It's just right for plugging in and ripping. I still go to my other gear when I want a more refined or modern sound, or when I want a tight distortion - it's not a "do it all" practice amp by any means. But way more than any other practice amp I've owned, it's really, genuinely useful - I will be recording with it, for sure.

There's something magical about the 5W tube amp hammering the 6" speaker that can just barely take it. I wouldn't change a thing about this little bit of Chinese magic.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 27, 2008

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Is a Fender 600 worth almost double the pricetag of a Cube or Microcube for a complete amateur?

And yeah, if you could plug the Wasabi in and let me know how it sounds to you (or post a sample but please give your feedback on said sample) that'd be awesome. :) I want a Devi Ever Legend of Fuzz too because it sounds incredible, but it's a little pricey for me and I'm not entirely sure who carries them.

Ville Valo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 27, 2008

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ville Valo posted:

Is a Fender 600 worth almost double the pricetag of a Cube or Microcube for a complete amateur?

And yeah, if you could plug the Wasabi in and let me know how it sounds to you (or post a sample but please give your feedback on said sample) that'd be awesome. :) I want a Devi Ever Legend of Fuzz too because it sounds incredible, but it's a little pricey for me and I'm not entirely sure who carries them.

A microcube is $125, but you can find it used for between $50 and $80. A Fender Champ 600 is $200, but you can get it used as low as $100 (what I paid for mine, in great shape). You're not going to want to buy a new amp unless you just don't like having money or something. As to whether or not it's worth it for an amature, I'm of the opinion that you should settle into a comfortable set of gear when you first start playing. Crappy guitars and crappy amps turn people off of the instrument when better stuff would have made them happy, kept 'em playing, and who knows what they'd turn out to be? The Microcube is a great practice tool, though, hardly a "crappy amp," so if the money matters a lot to you and you want the sonic versatility that its digital modeling offers, you shouldn't be afraid to pick it up. I don't think it's very useful to record with, though it does offer a speaker simulated line out that sounds about like an untweaked Boss GT-6 or GT-8 modeler's output. GT-10 sounds a lot better, though.

The big difference between the two is that the Champ 600 is, well, a real amp, with real tube overdrive really pushing a speaker hard to get natural breakup. Clapton recorded an album with a Champ 600, though the reissue has a hotter preamp circuit than the old ones did in order to push the power amp into overdrive a little easier (no preamp distortion at all, mind you).

I'll be happy to plug one of my Wasabi ODs into it and record a few clips (and let you know what I think). I swapped out my Aramat Mojo Fuzz for an EHX Holy Stain yesterday and that sounds great into it, too. It seems to take pedals really well, so I'm sure the Wasabi OD is going to sound great into it - that's a good OD. It chops off a fair portion of low bass, just due to the physics of it (the Microcube has the appearance of low bass, but it's really a huge bass boost circuit at and around the second harmonic for low guitar bass notes - "missing fundamental" effect), which should make it easy to record with since it ought to sit comfortably in the mix without a lot of tweaking. This isn't stuff you'll be explicitly worrying about when you're starting out, of course, but it'll matter down the line.

By the way, https://www.fuzzhugger.com is a great new site that carries Pro Tone, Mellowtone, and Devi Ever products. I won a Mellowtone Singing Tree OD and bought a Pro Tone Monster Fuzz from 'em, competitive prices and super fast shipping. Plus they're good folks. Contact them with the email link and talk about what you want out of a fuzz pedal, watch the videos they link to on all their item pages, too.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Picked up this Sunn O))) 412L with the original speakers for $200.

Im probably gonna throw some swamp thangs in it. I can't wait to hear it with my new triple rec (arrives nov 9th)

edit: best. tone. ever. RG2228 through a 3ch triple.

http://home.online.no/~mstra/preprods/8ball_RG2228.mp3

metalhead fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 28, 2008

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Agreed posted:

:words:

You rock, thank you. :)

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

SteelWav posted:

Veeeerrrry nice. No, rest assured you did absolutely nothing wrong (although personally if I were getting a Dave Smith 'board I'd probably go with the Poly Evolver).

My next synth is probably gonna be a Blofeld:

Apparently they just came out with a keyboard version, but it's $500 more and doesn't have any extra knobs, so I'm just gonna stick with the desktop version.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

metalhead posted:

Im probably gonna throw some swamp thangs in it. I can't wait to hear it with my new triple rec (arrives nov 9th)

Did you check the online prices on Sunn gear? You might be able to flip that for a lot more than $200, if it's original Sunn then there are a lot of collectors (btw SunnO))) is the band, Sunn is the brand).

e: Ha, I was searching for prices on this thing and found your posts on sevenstring.org. Sweet fuckin deal.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 28, 2008

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

the wizards beard posted:

Did you check the online prices on Sunn gear? You might be able to flip that for a lot more than $200, if it's original Sunn then there are a lot of collectors (btw SunnO))) is the band, Sunn is the brand).

e: Ha, I was searching for prices on this thing and found your posts on sevenstring.org. Sweet fuckin deal.

I did do some poking around beforehand, and it seems like a lot of people let these cabs go for less than they're worth simply because of how old they are. I'll be hanging on to the stock speakers once I replace them in case I ever need to flip this thing. :D

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
Just began recieving pieces to my giant 20 piece custom kit. This is a 15"x6.5" snare drum...

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Cyne posted:

Veeeerrrry nice. No, rest assured you did absolutely nothing wrong (although personally if I were getting a Dave Smith 'board I'd probably go with the Poly Evolver).

My next synth is probably gonna be a Blofeld:

Apparently they just came out with a keyboard version, but it's $500 more and doesn't have any extra knobs, so I'm just gonna stick with the desktop version.

That's very cool. I don't know a lot about VAs, as I only got a Korg MS2000, which is OK, but I'm pretty sure it's not as great as this or a Virus. I've read that it's better for digital stuff than VA and that you can really go deep with it because of the mod matrix.

Anyways, I went with the P08 because I was interested in pure analog and wasn't interested in the limited polyphony and digital oscillators of the Poly Evolver. I think when I'll go digital I'll prefer a V-Synth or a better VA.

But I still bought this thing.

It's a Yamaha TG33. I wanted to try out Vector Synthesis without spending too much so it's perfect.

I might post photos when I get these.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

metalhead posted:

Oh god do you have an RG2228? That tone is hot as gently caress!

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Cyne posted:

Post a review will you?

These things are really quite cheap so I was wondering how good they were. As Korg appears to have jacked up the price of the Microkorg for no reason, I'm looking for a replacement.

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Handen posted:

Awesome, great to see it's coming together.

Rashomon posted:

I too will add, for the record, that I have Dean Exotica acoustic guitar and think it is great.
Dean very occasionally had some unique models. A 32" scale, 17" wide, 3" deep fully hollow archtop bass? :coal:

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stux posted:

Oh god do you have an RG2228? That tone is hot as gently caress!

Dude I wish! That's not my clip-it's some dude from sevenstring.org

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Avd1Thng posted:

Just began recieving pieces to my giant 20 piece custom kit. This is a 15"x6.5" snare drum...

I love the color/finish.

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

SteelWav posted:

But I still bought this thing.

It's a Yamaha TG33. I wanted to try out Vector Synthesis without spending too much so it's perfect.

I might post photos when I get these.

Yamaha Vector Synthesis buddy :hfive:
I've got an SY-22, but I use it more as a second MIDI controller than for its vector synthesis to be honest. All I ever seem to manage to make with it are really weird evolving pads.

However, the vector control is a nice XY controller, in a lot of ways works better than touchpads.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
stux, that's a badass pball you've got there. I love that amp. I've been having serious GAS over the invader 100....maybe some day. Maybe.

metalhead fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 29, 2008

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

SteelWav posted:

That's very cool. I don't know a lot about VAs, as I only got a Korg MS2000, which is OK, but I'm pretty sure it's not as great as this or a Virus. I've read that it's better for digital stuff than VA and that you can really go deep with it because of the mod matrix.

Yeah, all the Waldorf and PPG synths have a very characteristic "digital" sound from the wavetables that you'll probably either love or hate. You can probably guess what side I'm on - the PPG Wave plug-in has been a staple of mine for a while and I think it's about time I got some real Waldorf hardware in here.

Run Dodo Run posted:

Post a review will you?

These things are really quite cheap so I was wondering how good they were. As Korg appears to have jacked up the price of the Microkorg for no reason, I'm looking for a replacement.

It'll probably be a couple months yet before I plunk down the cash, but I'll definitely post a review when I do get it. I can tell you right now though - by most measures this thing beats the poo poo out of the MicroKorg. Maybe not in terms of accessibility, but as far as features, forget about it... you could probably devote an entire manual just to explaining everything the Blofeld's arpeggiator can do. For just a few hundred bucks more than an MK you get a VERY deep little machine.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Cyne posted:

It'll probably be a couple months yet before I plunk down the cash, but I'll definitely post a review when I do get it. I can tell you right now though - by most measures this thing beats the poo poo out of the MicroKorg. Maybe not in terms of accessibility, but as far as features, forget about it... you could probably devote an entire manual just to explaining everything the Blofeld's arpeggiator can do. For just a few hundred bucks more than an MK you get a VERY deep little machine.

Thanks. See, at the moment here, it's actually cheaper to buy it than the Microkorg, and it's currently one of the cheapest on the market, so I'm probably going to pick one up.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Has anyone here ever used an Orange Tiny Terror? I played one today and I was really impressed.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Three Red Lights posted:

Has anyone here ever used an Orange Tiny Terror? I played one today and I was really impressed.

I had one for a little while. It was amazing.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
My setup has recently been feedbacking like crazy, I can't even use my overdrive pedal anymore because of the high pitched squeals my amp is giving off at moderate volumes.

So my next step is definitely getting a Boss Noise Suppresor:

I'm also looking at "V" shaped guitars since I've always kinda wanted one. I'm not really feeling the ESP's, and the Jacksons are pretty pricey. I've noticed that Gibson bought out Kramer and started making guitars in Asia in the $300 range.

A lot of people say they are cheap crap, but I've heard a lot of good reviews and seen some good videos on youtube. Anyone have any personal experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Pirateparty posted:

My setup has recently been feedbacking like crazy, I can't even use my overdrive pedal anymore because of the high pitched squeals my amp is giving off at moderate volumes.

So my next step is definitely getting a Boss Noise Suppresor:

Any reason you're going with Boss for the noise suppressor, because the ISP Decimator line absolutely dominates the Boss technology for cutting noise without loving up your tone or cutting deep into your sustain.