Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen
I'm from Canada, and familiar with both Zinnser and TSP products.

When it comes to the actual colour coats, is there anything extra I need to know to get that thick plastic look? Or just use several coats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haikeeba!
Jan 15, 2007

Thank you Mrs Peel, the money is on the dresser.
Two coats of high gloss enamel paint should give you a very hard, shiny surface. Make sure you use a tinted undercoat though, or it will look washed out. I'm not sure entirely what you mean by "plastic" look though. The hardest wearing, and shiniest paint would be two-pack polyurethane marine paint, or a marine enamel. But both of these products would require special undercoats, and you would have a much more limited range of colours. Also, they would be horribly expensive overkill.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
The plastic look on modern euro style cabinets is--plastic. They aren't made of wood to begin with.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

mcsuede posted:

The plastic look on modern euro style cabinets is--plastic. They aren't made of wood to begin with.

Not all - We fitted gloss red doors when we redid the kitchen last year, the doors are wood with a bunch of coats of high gloss paint. I looked at the plastic doors and they looked like they'd warp, plus, a lot of the ones we saw had flash on the edges :psyduck:

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Cakefool posted:

I looked at the plastic doors and they looked like they'd warp, plus, a lot of the ones we saw had flash on the edges :psyduck:
Sounds like quality manufacturing. Where were you looking at these cabinets?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Anyone have experience using Plasti-Aid?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dongsmith posted:

Sounds like quality manufacturing. Where were you looking at these cabinets?

MFI had paper skinned doors with warped plastic shell/skins, an independent kitchen supplier had doors that looked like vacuum molded shells. Fucker stepped in front of my wife when we turned around to leave - said we had to make an appointment to have our kitchen surveyed before we left. I was just wondering how to deal with this when my wife, without hesitation just screams "RAPE!!!in his face. I nearly pissed myself laughing.

Breadjesus
Apr 3, 2004
Kami-same
BIG, MEATY COCKS ARE YUMMY IN MY TUMMY!
I scanned the last couple of pages and didn't see this mentioned, so sorry if I'm repeating something.

I need to attach a large pane of glass to a wall. The pane is roughly 4.5 by 3 feet, and weighs 30-40 pounds. The wall itself is stuccoed.

Any ideas how I can do this easily, and if possible make it detachable in the future? I don't have a lot of tools at my disposal, so I can't build something elaborate to hold it up either.

tokz
Sep 26, 2005
BANKOROK SANTAK ULYAOTH
Wondering what the best way to fasten this framed print to the wall. I tried using some heavy duty adhesives but the paint on the wall is very slick and doesn't play well with adhesives. There is nothing on the back of the frame/print except for some old fasteners that have been ripped off.

Here's a couple of pictures to give you an idea of size and thickness (it's about 1/4 of an inch).

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

tokz posted:

Wondering what the best way to fasten this framed print to the wall. I tried using some heavy duty adhesives but the paint on the wall is very slick and doesn't play well with adhesives. There is nothing on the back of the frame/print except for some old fasteners that have been ripped off.

You look really pissed off that you have to deal with that frame.

I would suggest either checking out those 3M removable adhesive strips, or installing new hardware into the frame. If you know what the old hardware looked like it shouldn't be hard to replicate that.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

The bulb part of my light bulb just fell off after making an abortion joke :tinfoil: and now my light socket has the base (the part that screws in) and the filament stuck in there how would I go about removing it?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

wigtrade.cc posted:

The bulb part of my light bulb just fell off after making an abortion joke :tinfoil: and now my light socket has the base (the part that screws in) and the filament stuck in there how would I go about removing it?

Turn the light off.
Cut a potato in half, and jam it over the filamenty bits. Unscrew per normal.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Turn the light off.
Cut a potato in half, and jam it over the filamenty bits. Unscrew per normal.

That is awesome!

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved
Some relatives want to give me this... plant. It's about 1.5 to 2 meters high and they say the current pot is too small for it.

First question - how do I know what size pot I need for a plant? As far as I can tell, this opinion of the pot being too small is based on something akin to mouse droppings and astrology...

I found a relatively big clay pot that doesn't look like horrible poo poo but even though it does not have a hole in the bottom, the papers it comes with say you have to use a platter below it to catch excess water. I assume because the pot is porous and the water will still come through?

Well, the problem is that this pot is a) big and b) rectangular. No shop in or near this city sells anything that might fit under it. Yes, it's a small city...

Do I really need something under it? Will water really seep through this solid clay pot?

If I do, is there anything I could retrofit to go under the pot? I haven't been able to think of anything suitable...

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
edit : nm asking an electrician friend to come over.

ease fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 27, 2008

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

kapalama posted:

That is awesome!

My dad tried this when I was at work and didn't turn off the fuse/switch and shorted out the upstairs so now we need an electrician so make sure all power is off when you try that

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

wigtrade.cc posted:

My dad tried this when I was at work and didn't turn off the fuse/switch and shorted out the upstairs so now we need an electrician so make sure all power is off when you try that

That is even more awesome!

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

wigtrade.cc posted:

Why the hell would you need an electrician to flip a breaker or replace a fuse?

thenewdeal
Mar 25, 2008
I've got a wall of 4 windows about 18ft wide altogether in my condo. The 4 windows all connect to each other and the last of the four is able to be opened. Problem is in the winter there is a bunch of condensation on the inside of the window that drips down during the day and is beginning to/has already chipped away paint and generally looks like poo poo. Eventually I'd like to tile this window sill but I'd like to solve this problem before doing so. Nearly everyone in the building has the same problem with no real solution. Thoughts?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Sand it down, and use a better paint, maybe an exterior paint?

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Sapper posted:

Why the hell would you need an electrician to flip a breaker or replace a fuse?

poo poo shorted out faulty wiring found cluster gently caress of industrial shortcuts found by that potato

Sapper
Mar 8, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

wigtrade.cc posted:

poo poo shorted out faulty wiring found cluster gently caress of industrial shortcuts found by that potato

drat! Well, I guess in hindsight, it was a good thing...at least you found out via spud as opposed to 3am smoke detector.

Jesus Christ, you might wanna just pull new wire.

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH
I recently got an old camera from the 60's in mint condition, except the bag. Aside from some pulled seams the leather is showing its age. It isn't beyond repair, and there's no cracks but I'd like to bring some life back to it because it's certainly dry. I looked around online and there's conflicting answers to what you should use.

Aside from typical household products and polish, I have a few leather care items: saddle dressing (mostly tallow) and mink oil. Any suggestions/experience in revitalizing old leather?

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007
My crappy apartament gas stove is missing vital components! Whatever tube takes the gas from the stove innards and funnels it out into a little ring of small blue flames is gone, and there is just a hole that needs to be lit manually and then is just a single large jet flame. My landlord insists that the piece that is supposed to be there is easy to find and attach; as for me I am less than convinced. I've googled around for "spreader plate" which is what he said they were called, and have found nothing.

Can this piece be replaced? easily? what is it called?

Furypants
Aug 13, 2008

honk honk i'm Rosie O'Donnell... teh pig?!?

Micomicona posted:

My crappy apartament gas stove is missing vital components! Whatever tube takes the gas from the stove innards and funnels it out into a little ring of small blue flames is gone, and there is just a hole that needs to be lit manually and then is just a single large jet flame. My landlord insists that the piece that is supposed to be there is easy to find and attach; as for me I am less than convinced. I've googled around for "spreader plate" which is what he said they were called, and have found nothing.

Can this piece be replaced? easily? what is it called?

The "burner head" is the part from which the flame comes out; you may also be lacking a base plate, which closes off the space around the burner.

Just judging from the google results for "burner head replacement", it looks like it can be replaced :) I've got no idea about the difficulty, though.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
While we're talking about gas stoves, I also have a problem that my crappy landlord won't fix!

My oven is gas, and I'm terrified of it. The knob for the oven portion doesn't have any kind of dial on it; it's just a metal nub that could theoretically be turned. I have never used a gas oven before, so I don't know how to start one or anything, so I am terrified of blowing up my house while trying to figure out what temperatures are where.

Is there a rule of thumb for how gas ovens work? Failing that, does anyone know of a place I can find a dial for an old frigidare oven?

peter grimes
Jan 20, 2007
Go ahead and turn the knob for the oven... on my oven at home, 270 degrees is the most it can turn. You should hear a muffled 'thrump' as the gas is ignited. That's going to be underneath the oven, but above the broiler (the lower 'drawer' thing). Open the door to the broiler. If you can see the glow of flame reflected on the broiler's floor, then everything is fine. But if the gas is flowing (you'll almost certainly be able to hear a hiss) and there's no flame, then it's possible the igniter isn't working, or that the oven is manual ignition. If there's no flame, I'd inform the landlord and ask him how he wants to resolve the problem.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Furypants posted:

The "burner head" is the part from which the flame comes out; you may also be lacking a base plate, which closes off the space around the burner.

Just judging from the google results for "burner head replacement", it looks like it can be replaced :) I've got no idea about the difficulty, though.

Awesome! that looks like it alright. Now lets just hope that my landlord can get it together enough to buy four and attach them without killing us all.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Micomicona posted:

Awesome! that looks like it alright. Now lets just hope that my landlord can get it together enough to buy four and attach them without killing us all.

In the UK it would be illegal for your landlord to fit this, unless he was Corgi gas fitter registered. Check in your locale and ensure this is done by a skilled person. Dying of carbon monoxide poisoning is quite possible and doesn't sound fun.

Micomicona
Aug 7, 2007

Cakefool posted:

In the UK it would be illegal for your landlord to fit this, unless he was Corgi gas fitter registered. Check in your locale and ensure this is done by a skilled person. Dying of carbon monoxide poisoning is quite possible and doesn't sound fun.

Good to know. I am pretty sure it is legal (though inadvisable) to do so here in the U S of A, but I should double check. At the very least, I was planning on having the gas company come and inspect it again after the work is done and before I start using the stove again.

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

I have a tiny lightbulb (think christmas light size) which I want to keep forever lit. I tried a 9V battery hooked up via a small copper wire.

The 9V dies in less than 24 hours. I figured that since it was such a small lightbulb it would not drain the 9V so quickly, so I'm guessing I need to go with a wired DC plug into the wall for this small project. While I could do this, it seems silly.

What do you suggest? If I have to go the DC route, can I just find a lower wattage DC adapter plug and hook it up to the lightbulb or am I playing with fire here? Any other suggestions not DC?

Thanks in advance. I'm obviously not an electrician or even that handy. This is for a small art project.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

mister_gosh posted:

I have a tiny lightbulb (think christmas light size) which I want to keep forever lit. I tried a 9V battery hooked up via a small copper wire.
Now, are you saying forever as in "a long time, like a month" or forever as in "This bulb shall stay lit until I die/years/heat death of the universe"?
I'd say a solar cell with a recharging system, maybe a super-cap from one of those new instant recharging cordless drills, or a NI-CD battery. If you really want it to last longer on a battery, I'd say use an LED.

kindablue
Nov 3, 2005
The crickets and the rust-beetles scuttled among the nettles of the sage thicket. "Vámonos, amigos," he whispered, and threw the busted leather flintcraw over the loose weave of the saddlecock. And they rode on in the friscalating dusklight.
I live in an apartment with absolutely god awful looking kitchen counters, both marred and some pattern from a hospital somewhere. Can anyone think of something I could lay down that could be removed later?

Considerations:
- Don't want it slipping around
- Don't want it to rot if it gets wet

andy17null
Nov 29, 2007

I'M SO GODDAMN RETARDED, I THINK THIS IS LITERALLY REAL MONEY
If you hook up a resistor in series with the light bulb, the current flowing through the circuit will be less. This means that less power will be used, the light bulb will not glow as brightly, and it will last (possibly much) longer. However, you should do what Fire Storm said and use an LED if possible. If you have an electronics parts store around, go there and ask them and they can probably explain it more clearly, if not, look at the schematic here. Keep in mind that most LED's will have one wire coming out that is longer than the other. This is the positive side.

edit: connecting a DC adapter would not be harmful. Again, make sure you use a resistor. I think 2.2 kiloohms is a good value to start with. Don't connect the LED backwards or you may burn it out.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, Fry. Wake up, it's me, BIGFACE!
I'm pretty new to electronics so possibly a dumb question:

If I hooked the +/- leads to a motor to a lightbulb and spun the motor, would it work like a turbine.

If not, where would I find such a turbine?

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

FamousThomas posted:

I'm pretty new to electronics so possibly a dumb question:

If I hooked the +/- leads to a motor to a lightbulb and spun the motor, would it work like a turbine.

If not, where would I find such a turbine?

What kind of motor? It will work if it is a DC motor. Dynamos that used to be fitted to bicycles worked on that principle. The problem is that a DC motor isn't properly designed to generate power, in the same way that a sedan isn't properly designed to race F1 cars.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

FYAD KNIGHT posted:

What kind of motor? It will work if it is a DC motor. Dynamos that used to be fitted to bicycles worked on that principle. The problem is that a DC motor isn't properly designed to generate power, in the same way that a sedan isn't properly designed to race F1 cars.

Yeah, a simple bicycle dynamo would probably work best for whatever you want to do - shouldn't cost more than $5.

FamousThomas
Jul 16, 2006

Hey, Fry. Wake up, it's me, BIGFACE!
Ah, I never thought to use bike lights, that's perfect!

Thanks, pals.

BrokenDynasty
Dec 25, 2003

My bathroom has a ceiling light and ceiling vent/fan. Currently the light switch (single switch) turns on/off the ceiling light but not the vent/fan. I removed the lightswitch plate and there are 4 wires: red, white, black and copper. The black and white are connected to the switch, and the copper is hooked up on the side (assuming that is to ground it). The red wire is loose with electrical tape over the end.

Am I right to assume that this red wire is for the fan? Should there be only one wire for the fan? Can I go out and buy a new switch with two switches on it and hook the light up to one of the switches and the fan up to the other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

BrokenDynasty posted:

My bathroom has a ceiling light and ceiling vent/fan. Currently the light switch (single switch) turns on/off the ceiling light but not the vent/fan. I removed the lightswitch plate and there are 4 wires: red, white, black and copper. The black and white are connected to the switch, and the copper is hooked up on the side (assuming that is to ground it). The red wire is loose with electrical tape over the end.

Am I right to assume that this red wire is for the fan? Should there be only one wire for the fan? Can I go out and buy a new switch with two switches on it and hook the light up to one of the switches and the fan up to the other?

Probably, yes. Before you do so, open up the light/fan box and make sure the red wire is hooked up at the other end, too.

If they're following code (not likely) then the white wire coming into the switch should be the hot wire, and the black and red should be switched. Of course, the white should be "permanently marked" not white (i.e. wrapped in black tape or something). Use your handy meter to see where power is coming from, make a pigtail on that wire to your two switches, then send the switched power back to your light/fan.

Inside the junction box for the light/fan, there should be a black/white/bare cable and a black/white/red/bare cable. The black/white/bare should be coming from your breaker box; black is hot, white is neutral, bare is ground. The black from the breaker should be joined to the white in the black/white/red, and that white should be taped or marked. The white from the black/white/bare should be made up to the white in the fan/light. The black in the black/white/red should be on the light, and the red should be on the fan. All the bare wires should be connected to any obvious green wires and each other, as well.

It goes without saying that you should have the breaker off to do the wiring, but you're going to need it on at some point to check where power is; be careful. If any of this seems too complicated, hire an electrician.