Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

oredun posted:

what does side chaining the filter do? or do you know a good way to use it? i cant really figure out the sidechaining on the filter.

That causes the filter effect to go up and down in intensity based on the signal from the side chain I'd think. Though, it depends on the plugin since in Logic sidechaining the vocoder is what gives you the vocoder's signal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Are there any things about getting a new computer to consider, audio production-wise, apart from not getting Vista 64?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Sounds like a note tracking filter to me. Look up "key follow". That will change (modulate) the filter cutoff frequency depending on which note is played.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

oredun posted:

what does side chaining the filter do? or do you know a good way to use it? i cant really figure out the sidechaining on the filter.
It causes the envelope follower to be triggered by the side chain signal rather than by the signal being filtered. You could side chain a 4 to the floor kick to make whatever you're filtering pulse with the beat. Adjusting the envelope settings will change how the filter responds to the side chain's envelope. There's a few videos demonstrating this on YouTube. Check the manual for more specifics.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
What does sidechaining the filter do? I'm still using 6, and I can't think of how a filter would interpret a key input.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The envelope section of the auto filter lets you setup the filter frequency to increase or decrease in response to the level of the input signal. If the filter is set as a LPF and the envelope modulation is positive, the the filter will open more as the volume of the input increases and close as level drops. If the modulation is set negative then the filter closes as the volume of the input increase..etc.

The side chain makes the frequency modulate in response to the side chains' input level instead.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I would absolutley love it if they brought in a way to sidechain anything which can be modulated. Wouldnt need to take up much interface either, just need a right click drop down list of references, then another page where you add and set up all the lfo/sidechains/whatever and name them to be referenced. Kind of like the way massive does it, but better.

I want this right now, infact.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

I would absolutley love it if they brought in a way to sidechain anything which can be modulated. Wouldnt need to take up much interface either, just need a right click drop down list of references, then another page where you add and set up all the lfo/sidechains/whatever and name them to be referenced. Kind of like the way massive does it, but better.

I want this right now, infact.

If you were using buzz, you could have that right now

:)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thats twice i've wanted something I thought was a long way off and you've mentioned buzz, i'm going to have to have a serious look at that tonight...

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
I've been thinking of trying max/msp or buzz for a while now, but the learning curve just always seemed ridiculous. However, with the number of people i've seen cropping up there's gotta be something to it, so is there any good intro / for dummies type tutorials out there that people could vouch for (I know google will turn up plenty of hits for this but with something like this it'd be better to just go with something i know has worked for someone)

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Thats twice i've wanted something I thought was a long way off and you've mentioned buzz, i'm going to have to have a serious look at that tonight...
Keep in mind though, it is truly a bitch in many respects, setting up not least of them.

Anyway, the magic is in the Peer machines. PeerEnv is an envelope follower that will apply the level of an input stream to any parameter in your project you like. There's your sidechained everything :)

edit: http://www.ekral.com/buzzdiykit/ <- this is what I used to set up buzz again after my recent hd crash. It's well-documented but still quite a task... I wish there was a better install, some one-click exe, because a lot of people are going to say gently caress it and miss out on a really cool, visionary environment.

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 27, 2008

breaks
May 12, 2001

Also some of the Blue Cat Audio plugins (payware) can spit out MIDI CC based on the audio signal... Not sure if there is anything free.

This is another thing that could be easily rigged up in Reaktor or Max, too. In Reaktor especially it should be a very easy patch...

Uh, in Reaktor you could probably even have it automate a VST parameter, record it in your DAW, then copy and paste into the target automation track to get a higher vertical resolution. In something like Bidule or Usine you could probably even route VST automation to another plugin directly.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I've been working on an opening ditty for house parties that will mix easily into the first college student friendly bloghouse song of my set (hence why the drums just suddenly drop out after the buildup):

Any suggestions? Reactions? Expressions of horror? I'm thinking the squelchy lead my be a bit too harsh. Also, ignore the terrible drum fill (I literally threw this together while procrastinating in the library last night, and thus haven't fine tuned my drum samples or programming or done any real mastering at all -- I'm just trying to see if I'm on the right track here or if I should scrap it and restart).

nah thanks fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 27, 2008

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

cubicle gangster posted:

AFAIK, FL Studio does this out of the box.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

I feel bad for just running to this thread every time I feel like I've discovered something cool and want to see what other people think but I suppose that's what it's for!

Here's the link to a new track I'm working on which shows how much I want to be Daft Punk / Justice / Danger.

I'm happy with the snare/clap, the music side of the bass, the distorted clav and the rhythm of the sidechain but I'm unhappy with (and wouldn't mind some help with) the timbre of the bass- I just can't seem to get a big badass tone, and the kick.. either it's not loud enough or I need less reverb or to just cut it off after 1 crotchet.. who knows. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh as far as the mixing/mastering goes it's far from done but as far as I can tell I'm gonna need a lot of cheesy white noise pad build ups and chord stabs and weird synthy effects as well as making everything hella loud to be awesome french house.

Edit: Stayed up WAY too late working like mad on this one but I feel like I've got it close to a finished state. Shortcut (vers 2)

Blinn fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 28, 2008

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

mezzir posted:

I've been thinking of trying max/msp or buzz for a while now, but the learning curve just always seemed ridiculous. However, with the number of people i've seen cropping up there's gotta be something to it, so is there any good intro / for dummies type tutorials out there that people could vouch for (I know google will turn up plenty of hits for this but with something like this it'd be better to just go with something i know has worked for someone)

Max/MSP and Buzz are a bit different actually. With Buzz you can get started making music very quickly after loading it up, while Max/MSP pretty much requires going through the tutorials and becoming familiar with how it works before even beginning to start on building your own synths/effects/sequencers/whatever. Also, the objects in Max are generally small, relatively simple building blocks which you combine to make complex tools, while the Buzz objects are more macro level, i.e., you can just drag a pre-made synth right on there instead of having to assemble it from the individual note pitch, gate, envelope objects and such. In Buzz if you want to use synths or effects you made yourself you have to actually be able to code in C++.

Of course I'm not trying to rip on Buzz, it's a very cool piece of software, just pointing out that if you're intimidated because you think it's as difficult to learn as Max/MSP you'll probably be pleasantly surprised at how accessible it is.

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

in Cubase SX how do you change the size of the keys in the key editor? I can only see like six at a time in my window I remember before it was a whole keyboard.

edit: figured it out there's these 2 slider things that adjust width and length of bars and keyboard

Banjo Bones fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 29, 2008

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
I've always been curious but for songs that transition from the end of one to the beginning of other, how is that done? Specifically, those whose next song fades in and keeps looping right until the lyrics start even though I know the beginning of that song is not that long.

I see radio DJs do it a lot, they will be announcing something and it might take longer then the song can give. Do they just find a segment to loop? Cause that wouldn't make much sense to me since how would they make sure the lyrics match up at the beginning. Gah, whole thing confuses me yet it seems so simple.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

The Fog posted:

AFAIK, FL Studio does this out of the box.
Ya its called a peek controller, and you put it on a mixer track and then you can assign any parameter to it. Its sloppy as hell and you've gotta know your math pretty well to fudge some of the curves, but I find it useful and versatile as hell.

i need to play with buzz though. i've got max/msp down pretty good.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cLin posted:

I see radio DJs do it a lot, they will be announcing something and it might take longer then the song can give. Do they just find a segment to loop? Cause that wouldn't make much sense to me since how would they make sure the lyrics match up at the beginning. Gah, whole thing confuses me yet it seems so simple.
Ya they usually just loop a couple bars or play the instrumental.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Quick Ableton question:

I'm trying to send MIDI data from a VST on one track to a Simpler on another track. I have the VST sending the data on channel 1, CC 22, and the Simpler parameter I want to control has been mapped to the same CC (I did this with my midi keyboard). There's a MIDI track taking the input from the VST channel and sending it to the Simpler. I know the MIDI info is being transmitted, because I can see it on the meter and because I have successfully gotten another VST to respond to the incoming data. But I can't get the Simpler to respond and I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any ideas?

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya they usually just loop a couple bars or play the instrumental.

How do you switch over to the actual song or match up the loop with the song so seamlessly?

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!

cLin posted:

How do you switch over to the actual song or match up the loop with the song so seamlessly?

you hit the start and end points of the loop and then just release the end point when you want the song to keep on playing. How I used to do it while djing atleast.

A-Boom Boom Boom-B
A-B repeat till you delete B and then it goes
A-Boom Boom Boom now let me hear you say wayoh.....

king of the bongo fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 29, 2008

cLin
Apr 21, 2003
lat3nt.net
^ That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if that was possible. So it's the same track and they just loop the beginning til they want to start the song?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

cLin posted:

^ That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if that was possible. So it's the same track and they just loop the beginning til they want to start the song?

When I mix hip-hop (for example) in Serato, I usually use a loop taken from the end of the song (since there's usually more clean time there) when I mix it in and then transition over to the beginning of the new song on the second deck.

so it's like:

1) Song A playing on deck 1
2) mix in loop (that I might have pre-marked...serato stores loop information in the MP3s) from end of song B on deck 2
3) once Song A is totally mixed out and only the loop from Song B is playing, load Song B on deck 1 and mix the beginning into the loop of Song B
4) profit.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Started working on this today, but i'm not sure where to go with it/if it's worth carrying on...

Decided to make my style a bit darker. Began trying to make minimal basslines and weird noises and escalated from there.

Probably wont get to work on it again till sunday, but any comments people have would be very helpful :)

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

cubicle gangster posted:

Started working on this today, but i'm not sure where to go with it/if it's worth carrying on...

Decided to make my style a bit darker. Began trying to make minimal basslines and weird noises and escalated from there.

Probably wont get to work on it again till sunday, but any comments people have would be very helpful :)

Just started listening but fuuuuuuuuuuuuck that bassline is groovin.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Elder posted:

Quick Ableton question:

I'm trying to send MIDI data from a VST on one track to a Simpler on another track. I have the VST sending the data on channel 1, CC 22, and the Simpler parameter I want to control has been mapped to the same CC (I did this with my midi keyboard). There's a MIDI track taking the input from the VST channel and sending it to the Simpler. I know the MIDI info is being transmitted, because I can see it on the meter and because I have successfully gotten another VST to respond to the incoming data. But I can't get the Simpler to respond and I can't figure out why. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thought a screenshot might help out on this one:

Track 1 has an audio clip which runs through the VST (Blue Cat FreqAnalyst), generating the MIDI data. The MIDI data is coming out on channel 1, CC 22, as you can see in the plug-in's settings window there. The MIDI track (track 3) take this data and routes it to the Simpler track (track 2). The Simpler has been set to be controlled by data on channel 1, CC 22, but it's just not responding.

You can't see it in the screenshot, but the meter on the MIDI track registers the data when the clip is playing. I've also gotten a VST plug-in on the Simpler track to accept and be controlled by the data, so I know it's definitely making it to the Simpler track.

I'm totally stumped on this one. Why isn't this working?

blacksun
Mar 16, 2006
I told Cwapface not to register me with a title that said I am a faggot but he did it anyway because he likes to tell the truth.
Hey guys thought I would pop in here and try and get some feedback on my new project:

https://www.myspace.com/sohdjs

We are located in Brisbane, Australia.
The modjo remix is the first song I made in Logic, however the person I'm working with has been using it about 4 - 5 months. We also use reason 4, ableton 7 and a few different soft synths and plugins.
We just had our first club gig and got asked to play a few more; some of our mixes will be up in the SA Dj comp thread in a week or two.

Any feedback on those tracks would be much appreciated!

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
Just finished up a song that isn't breakcore, I've always been more into electro/house type stuff, but the guy I usually work with has a raging hard-on for breaks and DnB (not that thats a bad thing! I love the stuff too, just wanted to do something different)

I noticed the individual tracks for Supermassive Blackhole by Muse were on the DVD that came with the single CD, so I just had to take the vocals and whip up a remix. I'm pretty proud of this, its my first time actually finishing a song in this style, and I finally got a chance to mess around with a few cool synth sounds I came up with. The only stuff it really needs work on is mastering and the drums. I'm no good (yet) at either of them, so comments and criticisms would be wonderful.

Don't know why tindeck thins it's 10 minutes long though... its a little less than half that length.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I just made a new mashup track, this one is probably my best yet, the transitions between songs work really well, and it contains some of the following songs:
Marx & Spencer - Stay
Trio - Da Da Da
Alicia Keys - Womans Worth
Louis Armstrong - A Kiss to Build My Dreams On
The Gibson Brothers - Cuba

Plus lots of other songs to make things a bit more interesting.

come closer im a goon
Jun 3, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump

cubicle gangster posted:

Nice tune man.

It might be just me but that effect running over the top the entire time could probably used a bit more sparingly and you could add in more elements to the percussion and instruments.

That's just my opinion though because I wanted to hear more clarity in the percussion and more interesting use of timing change ups and poo poo. That's just how I like me music though so take that as you will.

Just felt like the effect / horn thing over the top was compensating for lack of elements that were below it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

come closer im a goon posted:

Just felt like the effect / horn thing over the top was compensating for lack of elements that were below it.

Haha. Yeah I wont deny that. Thanks for the points :)

Later on today i'll strip that noise down, add some percussion so it doesnt sound so empty without it and have a go at chopping it up a bit. Everything is very basic repetition at the moment, just need to spend some time adding some variation over time.

I'll have a go at doing a breakdown too, i'm usually poo poo at them though and this is going to have to be huge... :3:

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Blinn posted:

I feel bad for just running to this thread every time I feel like I've discovered something cool and want to see what other people think but I suppose that's what it's for!

Here's the link to a new track I'm working on which shows how much I want to be Daft Punk / Justice / Danger.

I'm happy with the snare/clap, the music side of the bass, the distorted clav and the rhythm of the sidechain but I'm unhappy with (and wouldn't mind some help with) the timbre of the bass- I just can't seem to get a big badass tone, and the kick.. either it's not loud enough or I need less reverb or to just cut it off after 1 crotchet.. who knows. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh as far as the mixing/mastering goes it's far from done but as far as I can tell I'm gonna need a lot of cheesy white noise pad build ups and chord stabs and weird synthy effects as well as making everything hella loud to be awesome french house.

It sounds like you just used a plain ole sawtooth for the bassline. What are you looking for with the bass sound? Do you want that Danger/Justice sampled kind of bass sound? I very well may be totally wrong, but for most of Justice's and Danger's songs, it doesn't sound like they use a synth bass, but rather a heavily effected live, electric bass. Either way, I can give you a few tips with the stuff I use for basslines. Hopefully you're using Reason 4, since thats really the only program I know very well...

For the Danger/Justice type dealy....

Open up a Thor, and make use of the three oscillators you can have running at one time. My favorite sound involves (In the first spot) either a basic analog with a saw or square, depending how buzzy or smooth I want the bass to sound, just kinda tweak it til you like it :). In spot number two I like to throw in a wavetable oscillator set to the PPG T040 Bass. This adds a nice electric/slap bass feel to the sound, the further to the right move the wavetable position, the more high harmonics and "slap" feel you get. Again, just tweak it til you like it. The sound I like in my basslines probably isn't exactly the same as the sound you want. In the third spot I usually go with one of two things; either a noise generator set to white noise, just to add some... warmth, I guess... to the sound, or another analog with a sine or triangle set an octave lower than the other two for that shake your bowels low end in the sound. After that, you can filter til your heart's content. Usually a lowpass on the saw/square and PPG to take off some of the high end bite works well, but other than that, it's just up to you.
Even just adding a light Scream tape distortion after the bass brings out a lot of warmth in the sound. If you'd like I can upload or email or whatever some thor patches I've made that have that kind of sound.

I'll shut up on the synth talk until I kinda know the sound you're looking for. I could blab for days about different sounds and possibilities :)

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 3, 2008

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Blinn posted:

Edit: Stayed up WAY too late working like mad on this one but I feel like I've got it close to a finished state. Shortcut (vers 2)

def. a great start to that genre no doubt. something thats very obviously missing to my ears is there is little to no automation. you really need some crazy freaky filter sweeps and jacking the resonance up and down real quick to get a good justice sound. just work on automating alot of things and it will really liven up your track

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I'm using Reason 4 and Live but didn't really know what sort of bass sound I actually wanted so just went with a really quick Thor patch I made, which you can obviously identify is very simple. It was sort of just placeholder ya see.

I'll have a go with your suggestion right now, but yeah- anything that sounds big and powerful is what I'm looking for. As to the automation of filters.. I think I've done some sweet stuff in a newer version that I'll post in a sec when I've tried adding a new bass to it that might help liven things up. If that doesn't though- could you be more specific on what tracks you think I should apply filters to and what kind? Just like a big bandpass or a peak filter or what.

Expect an edit here in a little bit :)
Ok here it is with a new bass and a few wee effect things I've added in the last while.

Blinn fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 4, 2008

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
If you are actually after the traditional Justice/Daft Punk bass sound you might want to take a look at Propellerhead's Electric Basses refil, it's pretty cheap considering how versatile it is compared to traditional sampled libraries and will let you get very close to the sound as long as you can program a bass melody like a bass player.

TurnpikeLad
Feb 12, 2007

ghost in bucket
Hi there,

I'm just beginning to get into making electronic music. To start out, I bought an Axiom 49, which came with the lite version of Ableton Live. I'm not at all familiar with this software, but I've been figuring it out a bit. The thing is, when I'm playing on the controller in real time and letting the computer synthesize the sounds, there's a delay of like a quarter second between my keypress and the note being produced. I suppose I could get used to it, but because I was trained on an actual piano it really messes with my sense of tempo. Is there an easy way to reduce this latency?

Do I need to buy some new hardware, or some new software, or just to tweak the software I already have?

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

TurnpikeLad posted:

Hi there,

I'm just beginning to get into making electronic music. To start out, I bought an Axiom 49, which came with the lite version of Ableton Live. I'm not at all familiar with this software, but I've been figuring it out a bit. The thing is, when I'm playing on the controller in real time and letting the computer synthesize the sounds, there's a delay of like a quarter second between my keypress and the note being produced. I suppose I could get used to it, but because I was trained on an actual piano it really messes with my sense of tempo. Is there an easy way to reduce this latency?

Do I need to buy some new hardware, or some new software, or just to tweak the software I already have?

You can adjust latency in Preferences > Audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

TurnpikeLad posted:

Hi there,

I used to have this problem with both Reason and Live and it drove me nuts. If what Cyne said doesn't work (which it didn't for me), try using ASIO drivers instead of whatever your default drivers are.

Grab Asio4All from http://www.asio4all.com/ and run the install, then go to Options-> Preferences, go to the Audio tab, change driver type to ASIO and pick one of those drivers (not sure which one will work with your setup.. for me, I use an M-Audio Audio interface so I picked the M-Audio one)

Hope this helps!

• Locked thread