Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

He came dancing across the water
I actually just noticed both of those 1993 WRX's I saw are RHDs so yeah I guess that explains it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

8ender posted:

Also the 2.5RS only has the 165hp NA Boxer engine, no turbo. It does however have a limited slip diff and is about 200 lbs lighter than the 02' WRX so it is terribly slow by all means.

Fixed. Seriously, get a turbocharged motor, you won't regret it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Mr. Powers posted:

Are you sure it's not the VF52 turbo? That's what is on the USDM 2009 WRXs. It has similar components to the STi turbo, but it is not quite the same. I think it shares a compressor or impeller but not the other. Something like that.

yeah, that's what I've gathered. We had an 09 in the shop the other day but it was just for springs so I didn't get to dig into the motor. We'll be doing a downpipe and tune shortly though.

The handling didn't seem all that special compared to the 08. I guess they may have added a mm of swaybar. The big change is that it comes on 225 dunlop sports now. The front seats also have wrx embroidered in them which reminds me of the old GC wrx seats.

The biggest difference between the 52 and 48, to the best of my knowledge, is just the compressor cover, which has the outlet on the top to go into the topmount. Perrin makes a pretty good upgraded top mount for the legacy and 08-09 actually.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
A buddy of mine is getting his 09 wrx next week. I hope to get some side by side pics with my legacy (08 DGM legacy and 09 DGM WRX - sound good? heh). Everything I've heard about the 52 is that it is essentially a 48 with a different comp housing as well. Can't wait to get a ride in it and compare it with my 08 with cobb stage 1 93 oct map.
It might just piss me off and shoot me for a DP/TMIC/protune at some point in the nearer future(though I'm trying to hold out for the end of the bumper-bumper warranty).

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town
*** 00Impreza2.5RS has signed in to #flannelchat

OK, I've thrown this around a few forums and whatever, but I would like to know what your take on it is.

After I blew a headgasket, replaced headgasket, started to throw a P0420 CEL (Bank 1)(Catalytic Converter Efficiency Below Threshold). If I ever reset the code by pulling the neg terminal, It would pop up again after 10 minutes when the computer came out of "stand-by" or whatever mode it goes into after you reset it. So I finally got around to replacing the cat. The code disappeared for a good 2 months.

One day, on the highway a CEL pops back up. I didn't check the code, just pulled the neg terminal again to reset. No CEL for another month and a half. Then it popped up again on the highway. I went to my mechanic and pulled the code and it was a P0420. Computer said I was travelling 92km/h, RPM's around 2500, etc... Anyways. Code was gone again. Then.. you got it, another month, CEL is back!

It's obviously not the cat, and I have heard anything from gas cap (what?) to either the front or rear O2 sensor. Most people tell me it's the front sensor, and that is nice because that is the cheaper one. I have also heard people telling me to put on a cheater o2 sensor extender thing that puts the sensor farther away from the exhaust and gets rid of that code. I don't want to do that cause when I have to get the emissions test they look at that.

I have even heard people who own Subarus have had this P0420 code, replaced cat, and both sensors, and it still hasn't gone away. I guess the computer is so finicky that if a reading is off .01% of whatever it will throw the code.

Could I be missing something? What do you guys thing is the cause of the code?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I think there was a recall for those year Impreza's specifically for it throwing the code so much. Apparently it involved an ECU reflash.

Generic
Jun 4, 2006
I don't know?
Looks like someone finally strapped an 09 to a dyno. It appears to be a dynojet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRqJtRgUcfQ

about 230awhp/270awft/lbs. That pretty darn impressive for a bone stock motor rated for 265/245 crank, even if its a dynojet.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

For you guys with a WRX, in general, what's your insurance cost like?

Right now my wife and I pay about $110/month for the Highlander and Tundra, and I'm sure it'll cost more than that. We've got no accidents or anything on our record, no tickets for a few years, etc.

ScaryFast
Apr 16, 2003

I pay around $1100/year for insurance now and earlier this year when I got a quote for a WRX it was around $1350, so not too much more. I believe it was only a few dollars more than a normal Impreza, oddly enough. Mind you, I'm in my late 20's.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Nostratic posted:

Right now my wife and I pay about $110/month for the Highlander and Tundra, and I'm sure it'll cost more than that. We've got no accidents or anything on our record, no tickets for a few years, etc.

These things aren't exactly cheap to insure, I pay double what I did to insure a 2003 Jetta GLS.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So apparently a bunch of 2009's are having problems with engines eating themselves before break-in is even over. It is hard to say that it isn't just the driver being a jackass, but the trend seems to be that these cars are having issues at about 200 miles. Hopefully it's nothing, and hopefully if it is an issue, they have already fixed it, since mine was just recently manufactured, or has still not yet been manufactured.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Where did you hear that?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

jamal posted:

Where did you hear that?

In the 2009 Impreza thread in News & Rumors on NASIOC there are at least two people reporting spun bearings at ~200 miles, and a third reporting that he had rod knock within 15 hours of driving off the lot. As I said, it could just be people being jackasses. One of them bought the car at ~200 miles already, so it was probably flogged on test drives (makes me glad I ordered mine and should get it with < 10 miles). There are also second hand reports of more problems.

I am doubting it is abuse, though, because there haven't been reports of trouble getting the car repaired, or in at least one case, the entire car is getting replaced.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Powers posted:

News & Rumors on NASIOC

There's the problem - NASIOC is a shithole.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Cat Terrist posted:

There's the problem - NASIOC is a shithole.

And yet despite this, I still believe that when someone posts a video on YouTube with the sound of rod knock coming from their engine bay that they just might be telling the truth. NASIOC's reputation aside, there are engines blowing up with few miles on them. What the cause is, who knows. It also seems to be abnormally high, since so few 2009's have hit dealerships.

trash
Aug 6, 2001
Argumentum ad nauseam is the incorrect belief that an assertion is more likely to be true the more often it is heard.
What's a reasonable price to return all the exhaust on a 2003 WRX after the cat to stock? Probably not in the spirit of this thread, but I just want a car I can drive and have to decide between keeping the two-owners-ago custom center pipe and having the mechanic "customize" a muffler or put everything back to stock. The custom exhaust is in good shape from the catalytic converter until it bends to the muffler; at that point it's rusted out and the muffler's totally shot; ergo having to decide what to do.

And, to contribute:

ScaryFast posted:

I pay about $500/6-months in a rather high-crime zip code (downtown Baltimore) with full comprehensive insurance for a 2003 WRX. No accidents that are my fault on my record and one minor speeding ticket from 8 years ago that's likely not a factor. And I only drive ~10k/yr.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mr. Powers posted:

And yet despite this, I still believe that when someone posts a video on YouTube with the sound of rod knock coming from their engine bay that they just might be telling the truth. NASIOC's reputation aside, there are engines blowing up with few miles on them. What the cause is, who knows. It also seems to be abnormally high, since so few 2009's have hit dealerships.

Yeah I'd say <1000 miles is a little early for NASIOC forum goers to destroy a WRX. However I'll also agree with others that NASIOC members do find out what breaks in a Subaru first and often in a spectacular fashion.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001
Another WRX owner checking in here. I have an 06 WRX with a vf39 and an STI TMIC, it makes for some fun grocery getting. Been driving subaru's since I was a kid since my dad has owned a Subaru garage since the early 80s. Natural progression I suppose.
Here is a pic of my car cruising back from a local meet this weekend.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
A few pics of my WRX

Click here for the full 800x451 image.

Click here for the full 800x534 image.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Went out with a friend and snapped some photos yesterday. It was pretty bright, and I think he could have used a higher speed film (and I don't have Photoshop), but here are some of the better shots.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you have Vista, the photoviewer has an autoadjust feature that should fix the exposure. If you have XP, download IrfanView (free program) and it can fix the exposure.

BabyJesus
Nov 13, 2002
Oh hay SubaGoons. Just popped in to say I love all the Subies. My buddy has a 375whp 05 Forester XT. Really is fun to see people turn and look when a station wagon comes rumbling up next to them.

funkyboogaloo
Oct 22, 2004
funky town

8ender posted:

I think there was a recall for those year Impreza's specifically for it throwing the code so much. Apparently it involved an ECU reflash.

No recalls on my car..

Do I just call my Subaru dealer and ask if there is an upgraded ECU available?

edit- I know a guy who can reprogram GM, Ford, Chrysler ECU's. Is there software available where someone with the right tool could upgrade an Impreza ECU?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

trash posted:

I pay about $500/6-months in a rather high-crime zip code (downtown Baltimore) with full comprehensive insurance for a 2003 WRX. No accidents that are my fault on my record and one minor speeding ticket from 8 years ago that's likely not a factor. And I only drive ~10k/yr.

That's about what I figured it would cost, although I live in a suburb of Houston, so it may be lower here. Who knows. I don't even drive 10K a year, though; I work 3 days a week, 12 mile round trip. Including all the other driving I do, I maybe put 6k/year on my Tundra. Although I have a feeling that would increase if I had a FUN car to drive.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

GroceryBagHead posted:

My guess would be side mirrors. Mine sometimes whistle with a super annoying pitch.

This is my 2008 WRX. My first manual (and the one I actually own) car. I love it very much.

http://khabarov.ca/images/my-wrx/Car%20002%20(Medium).jpg

The car only whistles above 3500rpm, not based on speed.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

the_worm_ posted:

Another WRX owner checking in here. I have an 06 WRX with a vf39 and an STI TMIC, it makes for some fun grocery getting. Been driving subaru's since I was a kid since my dad has owned a Subaru garage since the early 80s. Natural progression I suppose.
Here is a pic of my car cruising back from a local meet this weekend.

My god this generation of Imprezas/STIs looks so much better without a wing. Is there much of a difference in stability with or without?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I got some information about the 09 failures today. Apparently the problem is that some of the blocks didn't have the casting materials/leftovers/flashing flushed out well enough and that crud ended up floating around in some motors. They're checking the oil on all the 09s, and if it shows signs of debris the whole shortblock gets replaced.

That info comes from the subaru tech working part time at our shop.

As for whistling above 3500rpm not related to speed, I'd point toward a hosed turbo or some driveline problem.

To re-flash an Impreza ecu, there's some stuff that will work on 99-01 Imprezas and Legacies that only i-speed/crawford and some guy in canada has. There's a bunch of stuff for newer cars.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 28, 2008

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I finally got a chance to snap a few quick picks of my new 2005 Saab 92x aero. The parking lot at work was completely deserted this weekend and the foliage was lookin' real purdy. I've only had the car for a month now so I haven't done much to it yet, just got the windows tinted, dropped my alpine deck in, and added a pro-clip + panavise dash mount for my iPhone. I wish it was black but other than that the car is a blast, can't wait for stage 2 at some point. This is the first car I've owned newer than 1990 so I'm happy to have full amenities (seat warmers are the best invention ever).

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

jamal posted:

I got some information about the 09 failures today. Apparently the problem is that some of the blocks didn't have the casting materials/leftovers/flashing flushed out well enough and that crud ended up floating around in some motors. They're checking the oil on all the 09s, and if it shows signs of debris the whole shortblock gets replaced.

That info comes from the subaru tech working part time at our shop.

After all the problems with the 08 bottom ends I seriously doubt that it's just lack of cleanup that's caused it.
And i'm guessing that the oil checks are the ones where they use a little tube on a bottle to suck the debris out of the pan from the drain plug hole. That's pretty ineffective because a tube with a 1mm hole is no good for picking up bearing pieces that are 3mm thick.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

There have been problems with 08 bottom ends? I know they have a lovely stock map that's melted a few pistons, usually after some poorly done modifications, but I haven't heard of any 08 imprezas spinning bearings. There are multiple reports on the 09s and a few Legacies doing it though.

And yeah I'm sure the tube they use is exactly 1mm id and all bearing chunks are at least 3mm across.

So what's the problem then? Spun bearings pretty much has to be oil related. It seems pretty reasonable to me.

jamal fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 28, 2008

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

jamal posted:

There have been problems with 08 bottom ends? I know they have a lovely stock map that's melted a few pistons, usually after some poorly done modifications, but I haven't heard of any 08 imprezas spinning bearings. There are multiple reports on the 09s and a few Legacies doing it though.

And yeah I'm sure the tube they use is exactly 1mm id and all bearing chunks are at least 3mm across.

So what's the problem then? Spun bearings pretty much has to be oil related. It seems pretty reasonable to me.

All '08s with the 2.5T in Australia were at risk of bearing failure. I know of some cars that had the short blocks replaced twice before 5000kms. I'm still not sure what caused it but I think its more a bearing quality issue rather than a problem with the oiling system.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ChunksNensja posted:

All '08s with the 2.5T in Australia were at risk of bearing failure. I know of some cars that had the short blocks replaced twice before 5000kms. I'm still not sure what caused it but I think its more a bearing quality issue rather than a problem with the oiling system.

Does this apply to STI's as well?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

If you have Vista, the photoviewer has an autoadjust feature that should fix the exposure. If you have XP, download IrfanView (free program) and it can fix the exposure.

I actually use irfanview at work, it just didn't occur to me to try with that. I'll probably play around with them a bit once I get in.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

jamal posted:

As for whistling above 3500rpm not related to speed, I'd point toward a hosed turbo or some driveline problem.

It's an NA Subaru Outback, though.

I was so confused when it started doing it.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I have a 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i and the seat warmers seem to only heat the backs of the seats, so my rear end is cold. Is this normal or does something need to be fixed?

One question, purely out of curiosity, why is my car unique? This is a 2.5i na model and is not a limited (i.e. with the painted door handles). However it has leather seats and they are embroidered with the word "ESTATE" on them across the seat backs in big white letters. It also has an auto dimming rear view mirror, and it has the standard sound/heating (non thermostat). The guy at the dealership I got it from told me that he has sold many hundreds of used outbacks and has only seen a few that are this mystery estate edition and he had no idea where they came from.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

angryhampster posted:

My god this generation of Imprezas/STIs looks so much better without a wing. Is there much of a difference in stability with or without?

Not at any speed I've ever been up to. I'm a big fan of being wingless too, it keeps me from getting grouped with the ricer types if the local cops are looking for street racers (they are a big deal here around Charlotte, NC). Here is another rolling shot from The Dragon.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
How does the bottom end on a boxer engine work? Is the block actually 2 blocks or are they connected somehow?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

kimbo305 posted:

How does the bottom end on a boxer engine work? Is the block actually 2 blocks or are they connected somehow?

Two halves that split down the middle, with the oil pan on bottom (where else?). I really have no idea how they are stuck together, though.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Mr. Powers posted:

Two halves that split down the middle, with the oil pan on bottom (where else?). I really have no idea how they are stuck together, though.

They're held together with love. It's part of what makes a subaru, a subaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

fuji bond and lots and lots of bolts.

I hadn't heard of problems with the bottom ends of any other cars, but I'll have to ask about it tomorrow. There is a recall on a bunch of 2.5Ts because of the turbo oil line, which is installed in a way that could cause it to crack on a few cars. Or I guess we're just a year behind over here.