Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
The Canadian team does that. They put together a package a month and then sell it in their team shop. Proceeds from the sale go towards paying for advertising. It's a neat idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cruentare Isis
Apr 26, 2008

pixel8ed posted:

The Canadian team does that. They put together a package a month and then sell it in their team shop. Proceeds from the sale go towards paying for advertising. It's a neat idea.

I'd be down for that. I'd need some advice as to what the item should be however.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
This is a sample of one package that they currently have available. http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12649556

I'd kind of compare it to the little black box thing that's going on right now. You get a sample of a lot of different sellers items. The Canadian team has a whole shop, so as a seller you can submit an item for selling and part of the proceeds go to the teams advertising. It's not a bad idea. From what I gathered when reading about it, the items that are on the team page aren't sent to anyone in particular. They stay listed in the team shop and when it's sold the team admin transfers the payment (the sellers portion) to the seller and the item is shipped by the seller. I don't know how that goes with Etsy's TOU but it seems to work for them and is a nice way to generate some traffic to specific shops and create a little next egg for team advertising. The money could also be used for website hosting fees, etc.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
drat, it still comes off as complex to organize. Would it be worth taking it on for building team advertising? It almost seems easier to just pool some of our funds for an SA ad.

Hard to say without knowing what everyone else thinks about it.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
I love the idea but I think it might get a bit complicated given that not all of us are based in the same country - the postage alone would be enough to drive you dotty.

Can I ask a quick unrelated question to those of you who've been selling for a while - how many of your items do you keep in stock? Do you relist something of the same type as soon as you've sold it, or leave it for a while whilst you make another? I'm just getting a bit crippled under the weight of preorders at the moment (literally - I've been crocheting so much and so fast I can feel the RSI starting to kick in, everyone wants it all in good time for xmas!); it seems sensible to have some stuff to list for open sale and as stock to make up mixed batches but I don't know how much I need to make, really.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Apple Butter and Pearsauce ahoy! http://hippiewitchmama.etsy.com

I ended up with enough pears to choke a goat (they are filling my 61 quart cooler) and last night made cinnamon-vanilla pearsauce. I canned 4 of them and my son, mom, and I have finished up the remaining pint. I've also got pear wine brewing and will probably end up making pear butter and pear preserves. And I've barely made a dent in my pears. :cry: Can anyone think of anything else I can do with pears?

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Apple Butter and Pearsauce ahoy! http://hippiewitchmama.etsy.com

I ended up with enough pears to choke a goat (they are filling my 61 quart cooler) and last night made cinnamon-vanilla pearsauce. I canned 4 of them and my son, mom, and I have finished up the remaining pint. I've also got pear wine brewing and will probably end up making pear butter and pear preserves. And I've barely made a dent in my pears. :cry: Can anyone think of anything else I can do with pears?

Dehydrate. I'm dehydrating all my spare apples that we're not turning into apple pies.

The downside is that a dehydrated apple or pear is only good for snacking on. The upside is that you can store it dry in 5-gallon bucket and have "emergency food" in the event of global economic failure and breakdown of society. But you'd probably want to make sure to dehydrate other things, too.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Oh hey, does everyone still want to chip in for an SA ad in November? I just realized we're half way through October already, so it might be time to start coordinating things :)

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Zantie posted:

Oh hey, does everyone still want to chip in for an SA ad in November? I just realized we're half way through October already, so it might be time to start coordinating things :)

Yep, good thinking. My shipping cutoff for Christmas is going to be the first week of December here in Canada, so I need to get cracking in order to make it. The sooner the better really.

freestyl
Oct 21, 2006

1-31-07 NEVER FORGET
My wife currently has post cards inspired by Matt Pond PA lyrics.

http://quietcity.etsy.com

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I'll totally participate in chipping in for an ad for the holidays, if anyone wants to organize that, go for it. Anyone know if the Secret santa thread is up yet/who is in charge? I would like to have them mention the goons on etsy for gifts in the SS thread.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Finally caved, already posted in the GBS team and joined the goon team. yay. http://solenna.etsy.com

I figure it'll probably mostly be polymer clay stuff, but I have grand dreams of doing more stained glass even though I haven't done any in a couple years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Rathina posted:

I'll totally participate in chipping in for an ad for the holidays, if anyone wants to organize that, go for it. Anyone know if the Secret santa thread is up yet/who is in charge? I would like to have them mention the goons on etsy for gifts in the SS thread.

An etsy mention on a secret santa thread is great. For goons, by goons and all that!

To get the ball rolling on a team ad, these are some questions I've come up with:

1. will we continue with the GBS thread, or make a new one
2. will the banner ad be animated or static, and who will actually design the banner
3. which products/items should be on the banner, or should it be text
4. are we as a team going to do a goon discount, or leave it to individual shops to decide
5. how do we collect/transfer funds for the banner ad, and who do we elect to collect said funds
6. can we do this all by Nov :)

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Zantie posted:

An etsy mention on a secret santa thread is great. For goons, by goons and all that!

To get the ball rolling on a team ad, these are some questions I've come up with:

1. will we continue with the GBS thread, or make a new one
2. will the banner ad be animated or static, and who will actually design the banner
3. which products/items should be on the banner, or should it be text
4. are we as a team going to do a goon discount, or leave it to individual shops to decide
5. how do we collect/transfer funds for the banner ad, and who do we elect to collect said funds
6. can we do this all by Nov :)

I don't have answers for all the questions but I'm going to throw some thoughts out there. We might be best linking to our website, since all the shops are listed on there. If anyone wants to do a goon discount we could list it in a post on that site. It would drive some traffic there and give everyone an opportunity for views/sales. I think we could make a really great text add. Having a few products wouldn't be a bad thing, but all the goon shops are so varied that I really don't think we could showcase everything we do without it being rather cluttered.

The advertising page seems to be down right now so I couldn't get the size of the banner ad, but I don't mind taking a crack at it. Just need some sizing information.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Alright, I gave it a shot. Message is kind of "meh", but it's an idea.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I've got a copy of specs from savor:

quote:

Banner ads are required to be exactly 468x60 and a max of 30KB.

It costs $29.95 and runs for 1 month in rotation, to increase chances of being seen you can buy multiple spots, but I always just get one spot.

[edit]

Holy poo poo those are great!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
That was a pretty drat good guess on the sizes then. That one is 468 x 60. I just eye balled it.

That's a pretty good price too. With a bunch of us chipping in it would be less than $5 each.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I'd be in on a team goon ad. And I like the ad so far.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I also would like to do more with the website, I'm just not sure what all to do, if anyone else wants posting capibilities I can go ahead and make them. I've been tempted to make a forum on the site, but I'm not sure if its something we need, or if the threads we have serve the "communication/organization" purpose.

I'm also really unaware of who all is "Oh I'm a goon, so I'm listed on the goon site" or "This etsy goon squad sounds really neat, I want be involved". Not that there is a problem with the first group (where I think the majority are) but I know the 2nd group needs a few dedicated people for running it.

So perhaps we can figure out some team jobs/leaders. Right now I'm not even sure who the "leader" is, I know I've been handing the website (and slacking sometimes) and someone else handles the "etsy" side of the goon squad. Would be nice to have a person or two dedicated to getting treasuries.

I'm really new to all of this kind of stuff, so mostly what I've been doing is trial and error. The new thread seems to have gained a lot of intrest, and this old thread is still getting vistors, so I'm wondering if the DIY thread would be more for discussion/organization, and the gbs thread be more of an advertising/look at this cool thing thread. I'm thinking more buyers are going to come from GBS, while more sellers are going to come from DIY. Right now, I just have each thread bookmarked and check both daily.

One problem though I think with two threads, is not everyone knows both threads exist I think. I have the old one linked in the first post of the GBS thread, but unless you read through this thread, theres no real indication that there is another thread somewhere else except for a post or two I made a few pages back.

Rathina fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 24, 2008

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

It'd be nice to figure out a way to better organize our shops on the site. Maybe I'm blind and we already have it, but a way of searching for something specific (say metal work, or jewelry) or have each one of us write a brief summary of what we sell.

I like the idea of this being our 'behind the scenes' thread in organizing, while having the GBS thread as a kind of store front. It also allows for a lot more interaction between buyer and seller, which is pretty cool :)

I've never managed to get a treasury before, so I still don't feel confident in saying I can make them till, well, I can get it together and make one! However, I am willing to help out as much as I can in other ways, like pitching in for the ad here, and other organizing/brainstorming activities. Maybe figuring out topics we can update the website with, or weekly featured sellers, things team oriented like that.

Oh! And now for something cute:

Tethyis
Dec 13, 2006

The happiest fish..
I'm in. Wherever whatever I can help with, I'll be glad to do so.

Pandari
Jun 1, 2005
Pandafied pirate
Chiming in with how awesome you guys are for setting all of this up!

My etsy shop here http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5177933
I specialize in custom sewn plushes, costumes, hats etc. Sewn stuff.

I also have iron on patches, (but no I don't do custom orders as of right now for those)

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Can anyone recommend some shops that sell awesome (leather, or very durable) handbags/totes? I love etsy but it's such a pain to try to find cool stuff amongst 31000 totes listed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In those lines, I was on etsy once, and there was a gentleman selling rabbit and other furs, some of them dyed, a lot of them faux. I'm looking for some fake rabbit fur, but I can't find his page anymore. :(

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Looking for faux fur only brought up three pages of results for me. I did do the search in supplies though. Here it is. http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_query=faux+fur&search_type=tag_title_supplies&order=&min=&max=&page=1
A lot of sellers have closed up shop recently. I went through my favorites the past week and about 20 have closed up. I remember a lot of drama regarding fur sales on the forums there last year, so the seller may have moved to another venue.

As for handbags and things, I have never ordered on Etsy, although I have seen several that I like. I went through my favorites thinking that I had a few in there, but apparently not. :(

As for the blog, I had an idea last night. What if we do our own featured seller every two days leading up to Christmas? We can throw all the goon shops in a hat and draw. I have no problems writing that up and posting it, everyone should get equal exposure and it's something else that we can promote in the GBS thread. Just a thought.

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

pixel8ed posted:

As for the blog, I had an idea last night. What if we do our own featured seller every two days leading up to Christmas? We can throw all the goon shops in a hat and draw. I have no problems writing that up and posting it, everyone should get equal exposure and it's something else that we can promote in the GBS thread. Just a thought.

That sounds excellent, I went ahead and created you an account, and will PM you the details.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Rathina posted:

That sounds excellent, I went ahead and created you an account, and will PM you the details.

Got your PM! I'm going to get started on this tonight and will hopefully post the first featured seller tomorrow evening provided I don't run into any technical difficulties.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
edited

Not an Anthem fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 18, 2009

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Provided I did everything right the first featured seller should go live tomorrow at noon. No idea what time zone though.

Pandari
Jun 1, 2005
Pandafied pirate
How do I get one of those spiffy shop spots on Team goon that shows a handful of our wares? Or are they all taken? :(

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Pandari posted:

How do I get one of those spiffy shop spots on Team goon that shows a handful of our wares? Or are they all taken? :(

I just have to add you, I slack off sometimes as its easier to add people all at once instead of individually, I have a list of 3-4 people who still need to be added, I'll try to do it after dinner tonight.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
Just wondering - are any of you using Facebook to promote your shops at all? I started a page for mine this week here and have been "teasing" my friends with previews of some of my stuff for the last few days before I open tomorrow (here). It's caused a really nice buzz and I'm starting to get friends of friends (and some complete strangers!) becoming "fans". People are already going "ooh, look at that, I want to buy it!" as well as the preordered stuff I've been working on...hoping sales will be pretty good tomorrow night and I've a few more products up my sleeve so I can keep promoting new stuff every so often without working too hard. I've got a "Find us on Facebook" tag on my blog as well so I catch people coming at it that way. It's mostly a mailing list, I guess, but the "organic promotion" thing really seems to be working for me so far.

If anyone else is doing this it would be neat to cross-promote - a kind of "Shop x loves shop y, check it out" kind of thing, or even set up a Goon Squad page?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I've been thinking of setting up a Facebook page, but I'm afraid it'll end up with no friends. I have a fear of rejection I guess. :D I should just take the plunge and do it I suppose. No harm in trying it out. I need to get more stock made before I can do it though. Last weekend's craft shows wiped me out completely. Christmas on Etsy this year will be pretty much non-existent for me with my three items for sale. Ah well. At least I sold the stuff and didn't have to mess with shipping.

As a side note, the first two featured sellers have been posted on the blog. For some reason the Etsy Mini shops won't show up though. I have no idea what I did wrong. There will be a new seller every two days until I run out.

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
:o gotta say I can now highly recommend the Facebook approach for an opening night - I've sold half my stock in under three hours and had a bunch of custom requests through as well! I'm completely and utterly gobsmacked...people were actually sitting there waiting for me to list and literally pouncing on stuff as it appeared!

Any constructive feedback (shop here) would be hugely welcome, though, I am quite wobbly when it comes to adding tags and I know my pics are not as good as they could be, I really struggle with lighting. And embarrassingly I'm not sure what I should do to add the Goon Squad stuff!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Interesting note about Facebook. I have a personal profile on there, and have an album of stuff I've made, but don't link it to my shop at all. In this case I assume a second profile is created? I'm not entirely sure how that all works.

discordiaskitten, it's great your shop is doing so well! The only critique I can think of would be adding the dimensions of your items in the description. It's hard to tell what the scale is, so inches and cm would be great in helping out :)

Goddamn, that's some sweet crocheting!

[edit]

I just caught the note about your tags. Try adding 'amigurumi', 'muffin', 'tart', 'sweets', 'desserts' to start. That should help increase views from searches in no time :)

Zantie fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 2, 2008

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
Brilliant, thank you - have added a bunch more tags to the cakes. I didn't realise you could kind of make them up if they weren't listed!

Completely forgot about putting cake dimensions on, I did it for all the other things but not these, doh. I was going to put a 50p on for scale then realised I haven't a clue what US coinage looks like, so why would anyone recognise a UK coin!

For Facebook have a look under your Applications for "Page Manager" and it's fairly easy from there (same process as for making a page about a celeb or whatever but you have the option of "Business"). Think that's where I found it, anyway - if nothing else, if you go to my page there's a "make a page for my business" link at the bottom of it. I presume I've done it the right way, anyhow, there are some fairly big businesses promoting like this.

What a mental night, over $100 in sales just like that. I have a LOT of packaging to do!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Alright so after lots of thought and such I decided to try with my bags again only this time I also added some basic scarves and beanies. I'm in the process of making some new stuff and hoping to open it up in a couple of weeks. Another change I am making is getting models to wear my stuff. Yay for friends who like to have there picture taken. I changed the name though to go with my cookie store which is on hiatus until after christmas when my kitchen is better put together.

Though just for you guys who signed up for the samples I will be making a christmas batch to send out to you guys. I would still like some feed back on them, I think they are great but maybe not helpful advice is always good.

Anywho the new shop is http://www.etsy.com/sweetpopstitches I figured it would work better with the other shop and I heart the Sweet Pop name so vua la! Anywho the pictures will be done in about two weeks. Then I will have stuff up. Oh and I would like to get in on some of the ads as well, just let me know what the finacial split is and where to pay. :v:

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Just a head's up, it should be http://www.sweetpopstiches.etsy.com rather than https://www.etsy.com/sweetpopstitches

As far as chipping in for an ad, did we ever decide on who was going to collect and do the actual purchase? I'd be willing to, but I have no idea how to put all the parts of the banner together.

At any rate, if there's 10 people who chip in, we could do $3 each.

[edit]
or maybe not for the etsy addy, can't get either to work

Zantie fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 6, 2008

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001

Zantie posted:

Just a head's up, it should be http://www.sweetpopstiches.etsy.com rather than https://www.etsy.com/sweetpopstitches

As far as chipping in for an ad, did we ever decide on who was going to collect and do the actual purchase? I'd be willing to, but I have no idea how to put all the parts of the banner together.

At any rate, if there's 10 people who chip in, we could do $3 each.

[edit]
or maybe not for the etsy addy, can't get either to work

I'm in for the ad (that makes me person #2) if there only ends up being a few of us, I can create a new page with just the people who chipped in for the ad to show their etsy mini's and then put links in for the rest of the shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm in for the ad too! That's a good idea Rathina.