Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Frozen One
Sep 12, 2008

Eunabomber posted:

I disagree. The point made in the books is not that Vimes "hates kings" (he hates most authority figures if you haven't noticed) but that he hates the idea of anybody being considered outside or above the law. The salient point about his ancestor is not that he killed a king, but that he killed a king who was clearly violating the law and yet nobody else would stop him. You actually say this but then double back and say "Vimes hates kings" which is kind of simplistic and wrong.

Having re-read the books (it had been a while since I read them and I only hafe Guards!, Men at Arm, Feet of Clay & The Fifth Elephant anyway) I have to recant and admit that Vimes would probably not kill Carrot if he took the throne.
But I still think that Vimes would strongly oppose it because Vimes hates the notion of monarchy (and nobility in general) because it implies that some people are born better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I'd really like to see a book telling the story of Old Stoneface. Would have to be a bit more darker, and a bit more serious than the average Discworld book though, probably.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Gambrinus posted:

I'd really like to see a book telling the story of Old Stoneface. Would have to be a bit more darker, and a bit more serious than the average Discworld book though, probably.

I don`t know, I found Night Watch to be pretty dark and even a little heart wrenching at times, and it may very well be one of my favourite discworld books. I don`t think it would be too out of the style of the series.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
So the UPS dude leaves the package that should contain Making Money and Nation. I grab it and open it with glee to find...The Keepsake by Tess Gerritsen, and Mrs. Pargeter's Package by Simon Brett, both audio books. :psyduck: A quick run to the local B&N solves the problem (although the clerk did give me a little static over the online price being less, but in the end he let me have it), plus I found $5 in the parking lot. I consider this a net win.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
Finished Nation last night. I've been holding off on reading the Tiffany Aching stuff for a long time because I was afraid of its children's label, but now I'm holding off because I want there to be Pratchett novels I haven't read yet. Stupid Alzheimers :argh:

It may be Young Adult, but it was easily as entertaining as almost any Discworld novel. I can't recommend it enough, although I was kind of hoping for the fairy tale ending (Nation spoiler) with her staying on the island. :(

Loutre fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 7, 2008

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Loutre posted:

It may be Young Adult, but it was easily as entertaining as almost any Discworld novel. I can't recommend it enough, although I was kind of hoping for the fairy tale ending with her staying on the island. :(

Goddamnit I thought you were talking about the Tiffany Aching books.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

Nilbop posted:

Goddamnit I thought you were talking about the Tiffany Aching books.

I did specify in the sentence it was not a Discworld book :colbert:

Editted anyway.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto
Read the Aching books too. They are an excellent extension of the Disc universe with a different flavor. "Young adult" isn't far from his normal style in any case. Just with less sex and death themes and with (generally) younger protagonists.

I just finished reading Nation and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm not sure I understand what was going on with Mau's cultural background, but I suppose it doesn't matter that much for the story.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Read the Aching books too. They are an excellent extension of the Disc universe with a different flavor. "Young adult" isn't far from his normal style in any case. Just with less sex and death themes and with (generally) younger protagonists.

They're worth reading for the Nac Mac Feegle alone. Crivens!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Loutre posted:

I've been holding off on reading the Tiffany Aching stuff

The first two TA books are pretty well regarded as among the best in the Discworld series. In fact, if you don't read them, you are basically chopping part of the Discworld out. If you want to wait for Pterry to die to read certain books, let those be the non-Discworld stuff.

I have been unable to get anyone hooked on the Discworld series, through no fault of the TA books. They love those and then are disappointed when whatever novel I toss their way isn't as good. My last try was Carpe Jugulum because my sister liked the Nac Mac Feegle so much.

Darknyte
Mar 24, 2002

My brain hurts

Entropic posted:

They're worth reading for the Nac Mac Feegle alone. Crivens!

Crivens! I picked up a Tiffany Aching book after reading this thread, and never regretted it. It's incredibly intelligent stuff for "Young Adult"; that's a good thing.

I've since picked up another.

And, having now read both "Going Postal" and "Making Money", I can safely say that Moist would win any election against anyone, even Carrot, hands down. He tells people he's going to do sketchy things to them and they applaud him for it.
Poor Carrot wouldn't stand a chance, birthmark or not.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Darknyte posted:

And, having now read both "Going Postal" and "Making Money", I can safely say that Moist would win any election against anyone, even Carrot, hands down. He tells people he's going to do sketchy things to them and they applaud him for it.

That's why Moist is the best :c00lbert:

Dire Penguin
Jun 17, 2006

Moist von Lipwig posted:

That's why Moist is the best :c00lbert:

What happened to your old, awesome avatar?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Dire Penguin posted:

What happened to your old, awesome avatar?

Someone posted a news thread about stupid teenagers in my hometown and I went on a bit of a tirade about how stupid they really are :downswords:

I'm pretty sure a mod did it. Actually, now that you reminded me I might change it back.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Someone posted a news thread about stupid teenagers in my hometown and I went on a bit of a tirade about how stupid they really are :downswords:

I'm pretty sure a mod did it. Actually, now that you reminded me I might change it back.

Please do. That avatar was the epitome of awesomeness.

Also, does anyone know where I can find a good picture of the Assassin's guild crest? I've found one or two, but they're horrible quality and very small. The Watch emblem is easy, but the drat Assassin's Guild one is killing me.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Bullio posted:

Also, does anyone know where I can find a good picture of the Assassin's guild crest? I've found one or two, but they're horrible quality and very small. The Watch emblem is easy, but the drat Assassin's Guild one is killing me.

If you can get me a low quality one I'll try and vectorize it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Any good? It's from the Lspace wiki, but isn't the official Briggs designed one.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

I was thinking more the emblem that has the skull and crossbones on it. I like that crest, but the skull and crossbones is so much more fashionable. As the assassin's say, style is everything.

I'll look, Moist, that's awesome of you to offer.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Darknyte posted:

Crivens! I picked up a Tiffany Aching book after reading this thread, and never regretted it. It's incredibly intelligent stuff for "Young Adult"; that's a good thing.

I've since picked up another.

I'm almost to the end of "Wyrd Sisters," which is my first "witches" book. (If something happens to him in the meantime or whatever I'll retract my statement.) But I think TomJon could give Moist and Carrot a run for thier money. He basically got a (admittedly mentally unstable) guy to abdicate by giving a speech, and was able to defuse a drunken bar brawl by reciting a soliloqy.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I can remember spending my last £10 to buy the second Tiffany Aching book, having run from work and queuing to get it signed by Pterry. Which was ages ago. Jesus.

Bograth
Dec 22, 2007

by angerbeet

AvesPKS posted:

I'm almost to the end of "Wyrd Sisters," which is my first "witches" book. (If something happens to him in the meantime or whatever I'll retract my statement.) But I think TomJon could give Moist and Carrot a run for thier money. He basically got a (admittedly mentally unstable) guy to abdicate by giving a speech, and was able to defuse a drunken bar brawl by reciting a soliloqy.

That was because he had "kingship", sorta works like magic, yanno? King has authority but his authority was put into his theater and as such, he became an amazing actor.

Carrot would hold more sway in AM because he's the rightful king of AM, Moist might hold more sway nowadays because the city is so used to a benevolent dictator such as the patrician and the illusion of democracy that a king might not be attractive after what happened in Guards! Guards!

...Wow, I am so lame for actually typing that out haha.

Still, love Pratchett's books. I hope to meet him one day before he deteriorates. :( He's been such an important author. Is nation worth the read though? I haven't really explored out of discworld.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I first got into discworld just after The light fantastic was released because I loved the cover (UK) of Colour of Magic. Ive been reading him ever since. I thought his work took a bit of nosedive around the time of Masquerade but hes really been at his best with the last few books. The news of his alzheimers really threw me as I suppose Ive become used to having 1-2 new discworld books to read each year. That news and reading this thread have really reminded me how important his books have been to me and I honestly think his work will last and be popular for centuries to come.

Im surprised theres been little mention of his 2 sci-fi books "dark side of the sun" and "strata". They were both written before discworld (I believe) and Strata in particular is a corker and is a great companion piece to the discworld novels.

Om Bless ya Terry!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm about a third done with Nation, and I'm loving this book. I can totally imagine the religious right frothing at the mouth over the way some issues are being tackled, and I'm willing to bet it ends up on a banned book list soon.

Bullio
May 11, 2004

Seriously...

The crest I'm looking for is similar to this:

Edit:

Only I wanted it straight on.

To continue the topic at hand, is Nation contain as much humor as his other books? I enjoy a decent laugh while I read.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

I'm about a third done with Nation, and I'm loving this book. I can totally imagine the religious right frothing at the mouth over the way some issues are being tackled, and I'm willing to bet it ends up on a banned book list soon.

I enjoyed the first half of the book a lot more than the second half.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Bullio posted:

To continue the topic at hand, is Nation contain as much humor as his other books? I enjoy a decent laugh while I read.

It's not gag-heavy like most of the Discworld books. The tone is fairly light for the most part, but it's more focused on relationships and has some pretty severe emotional parts (particularly in the beginning). It's a coming-of-age, coming-to-terms-with-tragedy, standing-up-for-what-is-right, science-versus-religion, and discovering-wacky-side-characters sort of quasi-romantic-comedy story.

So, um, no. I guess. Read it anyway.

P.S. I like hyphens.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

ThaGhettoJew posted:

It's not gag-heavy like most of the Discworld books. The tone is fairly light for the most part, but it's more focused on relationships and has some pretty severe emotional parts (particularly in the beginning). It's a coming-of-age, coming-to-terms-with-tragedy, standing-up-for-what-is-right, science-versus-religion, and discovering-wacky-side-characters sort of quasi-romantic-comedy story.

So, um, no. I guess. Read it anyway.

P.S. I like hyphens.
Its true its not as gag heavy as some of the Discworld books, but there’s plenty to laugh at, especially if you find his "wry observations of human nature" funny. I thought it was excellent.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dirty Frank posted:

Its true its not as gag heavy as some of the Discworld books, but there’s plenty to laugh at, especially if you find his "wry observations of human nature" funny. I thought it was excellent.

I never thought the discworld novels were particularly gag-heavy. The first Pratchett I ever read was Good Omens, and I thought it was dripping with funny. When I got into discworld I was a little sad it wasn't quite that stuffed with sillyness, so I decided to read some Gaiman and see if he wasn't the guy who brought the insanity. Sadly not. I need to read it again just to see if I was smoking weed back then.

Also I finished Nation and it doesn't fit with all the discworld MMPs on the shelf and looks strange.

And the only discworld I have left is Making Money, and that makes me sad. When are we going to get the next book?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Old-school Discworld was a lot more packed with laugh-out-loud gags, where later Discworld is more about "oh, haha, I get it" satire. It's the difference between The Colour of Magic and Going Postal.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I thought the first few discworlds were more obviously comedic than the rest of the series. I think it was after Mort that he shifted into a more cerebral sort of humor.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I always try to start people on Reaper Man or Small Gods, since they're from around that era (after Mort) and more representative of his later work.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
I just picked up Monstrous Regiment two days ago and finished it this morning. It really made me remember how awesome this series is and I went through the five stages of grief about Pterry's Alzheimers all over again :(

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I've recently been reading a lot of Neil Gaiman (actually, I think I've read all of it, he hasn't written all that many books) and I just recently read Good Omens. I loved it, there were a few points where I had to put the book down I was laughing so hard. There aren't too many books that can get a good belly laugh out of me.

Anyway, I was wondering what novels by Pratchett would resemble Good Omens? I know it was written by both Pratchett and Gaiman, but I'm vaguely familiar with Pratchett's humor from playing Discworld on my old Playstation.

Edit: I just read LooseChanj's post about Good Omens. No, you weren't smoking anything...or well, I don't know if you were, but either way, the book had me rolling.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Zubumafoo posted:

I've recently been reading a lot of Neil Gaiman (actually, I think I've read all of it, he hasn't written all that many books) and I just recently read Good Omens. I loved it, there were a few points where I had to put the book down I was laughing so hard. There aren't too many books that can get a good belly laugh out of me.

Anyway, I was wondering what novels by Pratchett would resemble Good Omens? I know it was written by both Pratchett and Gaiman, but I'm vaguely familiar with Pratchett's humor from playing Discworld on my old Playstation.

Edit: I just read LooseChanj's post about Good Omens. No, you weren't smoking anything...or well, I don't know if you were, but either way, the book had me rolling.

In general, the humor was mostly Pratchett and the weirdness was mostly Gaiman, though there is some overlap.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bograth posted:

That was because he had "kingship", sorta works like magic, yanno? King has authority but his authority was put into his theater and as such, he became an amazing actor.

Nope I have to disagree here; it's because right at the start, when he's a baby and the witches are giving him his gifts, the one Nanny Ogg gives him is about being "whoever you think you are" (I may be misquoting slightly as the book is nowhere near me at the mo), which means he is like the world's greatest method actor, he absolutely IS whatever role he is playing :D

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

This is for all of the people on the fence about reading the Tiffany Aching young adult books (and Amazing Maurice). If you like the other DW books you'll like these as well, especially if you like the Witch books (they're not Night Watch or Thud! but what is?). Remember: Just because they're Young Adult books doesn't mean they aren't "real" books.

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

GloomMouse posted:

This is for all of the people on the fence about reading the Tiffany Aching young adult books (and Amazing Maurice). If you like the other DW books you'll like these as well, especially if you like the Witch books (they're not Night Watch or Thud! but what is?). Remember: Just because they're Young Adult books doesn't mean they aren't "real" books.

They're sort of like a how-to-make-a-Granny-Weatherwax series. Duty, responsibility, and how not to be an rear end to ignorant people. Plus they give an interesting look at the Disc's witching world outside of Lancre. Like other "senior" witches, witchfinders, witch economy, and witch community and education.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Apr 10, 2007

You have no fucking idea how hungry I am

LooseChanj posted:

I never thought the discworld novels were particularly gag-heavy. The first Pratchett I ever read was Good Omens, and I thought it was dripping with funny. When I got into discworld I was a little sad it wasn't quite that stuffed with sillyness, so I decided to read some Gaiman and see if he wasn't the guy who brought the insanity. Sadly not. I need to read it again just to see if I was smoking weed back then.

Nope, you're remembering correctly. Good Omens is by far the laugh-out-loud funniest of Pratchett's work, and definitely in the running for the funniest overall. The Best of Queen stuff kills me every time.

That said, Discworld has plenty of moments that have me laughing my head off, as well as slow-burning things that make me laugh in stages. It's all funny.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I just added The Last Hero to my evergrowing library and while I have only flipped through the book, I must say from what I have seen the illustrations are pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darknyte
Mar 24, 2002

My brain hurts

ThaGhettoJew posted:

They're sort of like a how-to-make-a-Granny-Weatherwax series. Duty, responsibility, and how not to be an rear end to ignorant people. Plus they give an interesting look at the Disc's witching world outside of Lancre. Like other "senior" witches, witchfinders, witch economy, and witch community and education.

In the 2 TA books I've read (I skipped Wee Free Men for some dumb reason, planning to pick it up whenever I see it in Borders), I get this creeping feeling that Tiffany is being set up to replace Granny, and the logical conclusion of the series has DEATH showing up to cart Granny off across the sands, only she pushes him aside and marches off with a remark about how even a dead witch still needs a good pair of boots.

I finished Monstrous Regiment recently, and enjoyed it as well. Finally reading Mort, with Moving Pictures and Thief of Time up after that. This man's books are like a drug. I don't want to buy them, I mean, I have things to do, but I always end up at the book store with at least one paperback in my hand and the sweet anticipation of cracking open the latest adventure.