Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pirateparty posted:

My setup has recently been feedbacking like crazy, I can't even use my overdrive pedal anymore because of the high pitched squeals my amp is giving off at moderate volumes.

So my next step is definitely getting a Boss Noise Suppresor:

What amp/pedals/guitars are you using? Are you sure you don't just want to find out where the noise is coming from and fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
Peavey Valveking 100 watt head, Agile AL-2500, Boss Super Overdrive with the gain on 1 and the level about 3.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A couple weeks ago I noted that almost all my instruments are Leo Fender designed, so I did something about it:

What did UPS deliver?

A 1979 Rickenbacker 4001!

Boredom at work + ebay resulted in me finding a great deal on this bass. I don't think it was originally Mapleglo, and the back and neck have been repainted black some some reason. But the top finish is flawless so I don't mind. Of course it has a couple issues though. First thing it needs is a setup, the intonation's off and the neck needs to be a bit flatter. Then there are some bigger issues to tackle:

I'm pretty sure it has a non-original pickguard. There are a few extra screw holes underneath, and then the obvious issue with the neck pickup being misaligned. That pickup seems a bit weak so I hope better placement will help that.

Replacement tuners that give the string no break angle over the nut, which requires that retainer be used to line up the strings. I would like to get some more stockish tuners on instead.

DrChu fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 29, 2008

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DrChu posted:

1979 Rickenbacker 4001

:pwn:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
You son of a bitch.

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.

Pirateparty posted:

My setup has recently been feedbacking like crazy, I can't even use my overdrive pedal anymore because of the high pitched squeals my amp is giving off at moderate volumes.

Bad preamp tube(s)?

EDIT: i r gud reedur

Decerto fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 30, 2008

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

game over dudes

Foiltha
Jun 12, 2008

Jimix posted:

game over dudes

I think I just had an orgasm.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Jimix posted:

game over dudes

Too cool! Mo pics please.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Jimix posted:

game over dudes

Please elaborate.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

:pwn:

3toes posted:

You son of a bitch.

If it makes you feel any better any sort of routine adjustment/maintenance on this is a bitch.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006

Jimix posted:

game over dudes

I'm goin back to GBS, later guys, its been fun.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Jimix posted:

game over dudes

Who painted that? And where are your pickup selector/tone knobs?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Costello Jello posted:

And where are your pickup selector/tone knobs?
I am really hoping this will turn out to be a hotrodded hotrod - naked pickups, straight to the amp. :toot:

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

Schatten posted:

Too cool! Mo pics please.

1 2

Handen posted:

Please elaborate.

Costello Jello posted:

Who painted that? And where are your pickup selector/tone knobs?

Uncle Caveman posted:

I am really hoping this will turn out to be a hotrodded hotrod - naked pickups, straight to the amp. :toot:

My friend Augie Cordero painted it

When I first bought the body I wasn't sure what pickups I wanted to put in it, but for some reason Warmoth couldn't do a universal route so I had them just do the three humbuckers figuring that I would put a pickguard on it anyway. Now I'm thinking of two Joe Barden humbuckers since I have his single coils in my strat and they are the poo poo.

As far as controls, I want to have one concentric knob with a push pull on it for volume/magnetic pickup blend/coil tap. It will also have a graphtech ghost system in it which has all kinds of other knobs and switches though for piezos/midi stuff. Still need to get a neck, have a pickguard made, drill the control holes, get it clear coated, buy the rest of the parts...it will be a while :(

QuantumKat
Jul 16, 2004

Member of the Catspiracy

Agreed posted:

Comprehensive response

Thanks!! I'll take all of this into consideration.

Run Dodo Run posted:

Laptops are alright CPU wise to run a few VSTs. Your problem there is RAM - if you use sample based instruments, then the lack of RAM will bite you in the rear end. If you're planning on just using it at home, I'd stick with a desktop.

For 2 grand (I'm assuming that's dollars...) you can buy whatever the hell you want, that's more than enough to buy something top of the line. But if you're just using it for audio production, kinda a waste. Buy yourself a decent CPU. A nice Intel Core 2, maybe a quad core, that's up to you. No need to buy a decent graphics card if its just an audio machine, so you'll save a lot of money there. Then just buy a load of RAM if you're planning on using samples. Problem is if you want a lot of RAM you have to use 64bit, which means Vista, which means problems with drivers depending on your audio interface.

Yeah I think I'm hitting that wall. I want loads of RAM, but Vista is a shitfest for audio still...

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

DrChu posted:

If it makes you feel any better any sort of routine adjustment/maintenance on this is a bitch.

It doesn't. gently caress you.

(No seriously, that is awesome)

kamapuaa
May 12, 2007
Bulbous, yet agile.
Hey Gear-Goons - I didn't want to start a new thread for this, and it is gear purchase related. I recently ran across this:

http://www.glab.com.pl/gsc-2_en

It's essentially a programmable pedal control system. When I was looking for retailers, they only seem to sell them in Europe. Does anyone in the US make something like this?

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
After my last post with the new-to-me Strat I went out and tried some amps. The Fender Champion 600 was nice, but the Roland MicroCube RX blew me away, so it came home. The Strat got new strings and was set up by a local shop that came highly recommended.

Also making an appearance is a new-to-me P-Bass. MIC Squier body with American Fender pots, wiring, etc. Off Craigslist for $100 and is great fun, though the Behringer keyboard amp I'm using sounds pretty awful. Might be another MicroCube in my future; the bass version this time, unless anyone's got further recommendations?

The AX-1 isn't new gear but it wanted to be in the pic too. :3: It also sounds incredible through the MicroCube using my Kurzweil and Korg guitar sound banks.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

You'll enjoy the microcube, though you should have got the champ ;)

I picked up an old modeling amp today:

Yamaha DG-80 112. The knobs are motorized and when you load a preset (it stores 128) they all move to the appropriate places. It has eight amp models, which all sound pretty good, and very nice effects derived from their rack units. Reverbs are too bright, but the Yamaha rack reverbs are too bright, too. Celestion 100W speaker in it (don't quote me, but I think it's a G12H-T100). Loud motherfucker, they made this solid state amp get LOUD. REALLY loud. Randall loud.

I traded my Windsor head in for it because it had lost its pizazz. This amp is sweet. Yamaha was way ahead of the game on digital modeling, in my opinion, and this stands up beside modern modeling amps quite well I think.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Agreed posted:

You'll enjoy the microcube, though you should have got the champ ;)

I honestly liked it. They both sounded great, but what won me over was the aux input for an ipod, the built in effects, different metronomes/beats, and tuner.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

quote:

You'll enjoy the microcube, though you should have got the champ

Those clips you linked of the champ sound pretty amazing. They drive really nicely, and normally I'm not much of a fan of fender's amps because most don't drive worth poo poo without pedals.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

Those clips you linked of the champ sound pretty amazing. They drive really nicely, and normally I'm not much of a fan of fender's amps because most don't drive worth poo poo without pedals.

I'm glad you like the champ :) But I didn't, uh, link to any clips. My wife is away at a conference and she has the laptop with her, so I'm not able to record any clips until she gets back on Sunday. But they do drive well, and they have a nice, smooth, creamy tone to them. I actually think that they're the best sounding Fender amps for tube overdrive purposes until you get up to the $1000+ models; I like the Champ 600 OD better than the stock (but not modded) Blues Junior or the DeVille series, though I think the DeVille has a lovely clean channel.

I will post clips as soon as I can. Sorry, man.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.
A month or two ago I picked up a Stylophone.

You can make some awesome and annoying noises with it.

The addition of a Voodoo Lab Tremolo rounds out my pedal board.

And as a future teaser I leave you with this...

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Are you building that yourself? I've wanted to do a scratch build for years but can't afford it right now.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

the wizards beard posted:

Are you building that yourself? I've wanted to do a scratch build for years but can't afford it right now.

Not me, a local amp builder is putting it together for me. I'm glad we got the parts a few moths ago before the Australian dollar tanked. We managed to get some really good quality parts so it should be killer, provided I find a place I can really crank it.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

I'm glad you like the champ :) But I didn't, uh, link to any clips. My wife is away at a conference and she has the laptop with her, so I'm not able to record any clips until she gets back on Sunday. But they do drive well, and they have a nice, smooth, creamy tone to them. I actually think that they're the best sounding Fender amps for tube overdrive purposes until you get up to the $1000+ models; I like the Champ 600 OD better than the stock (but not modded) Blues Junior or the DeVille series, though I think the DeVille has a lovely clean channel.

I will post clips as soon as I can. Sorry, man.

This is weird... I'm pretty sure I already wrote a response to this but the forums ate it or something?

I just meant those youtube clips you posted. They sounded really good, and it seemed that they were just guitar->amp. I kind of like the blues junior (but always preferred vox's offerings in the same price range), but the champ drives really well, it doesn't sound like a fender much to me at all.

Do you know if there are any plans for fender to release a higher wattage version possibly with more features as well?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ZombiePeanut posted:

This is weird... I'm pretty sure I already wrote a response to this but the forums ate it or something?

I just meant those youtube clips you posted. They sounded really good, and it seemed that they were just guitar->amp. I kind of like the blues junior (but always preferred vox's offerings in the same price range), but the champ drives really well, it doesn't sound like a fender much to me at all.

Do you know if there are any plans for fender to release a higher wattage version possibly with more features as well?

Yeah, they're called the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb. :aslol:

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 1, 2008

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

GrAviTy84 posted:

Yeah, they're called the Deluxe Reverb and Twin Reverb. :aslol:

About the only place a twin reverb can manage to get any kind of drive without blowing your ears out is on the moon, and even then it isn't going to be a lot. I'm not even really sure how they still sell the things with the Roland JC around.

Fender amps generally have a ton of clean headroom. Too much, really, if you ask me. It seems like the champ starts driving much sooner than fenders usually do.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ZombiePeanut posted:

I'm not even really sure how they still sell the things with the Roland JC around.

Are you serious? They are two completely different amps.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

ZombiePeanut posted:

Something like the new "Recording" Princeton perhaps? Compressor, overdrive, power attenuator, 10" speaker, 15 watts, fx loop and foot switch.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 2, 2008

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

warwick5s posted:

Something like the new "Recording" Princeton perhaps? Compressor, overdrive, power attenuator, 10" speaker, 15 watts, fx loop and foot switch.

Link Fail. you mean: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2152000000

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Link Fail. you mean: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2152000000

Yup. I do.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Don't have a way of taking any pictures, but I bought a Vox Wah today, my first. I love it!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Don't have a way of taking any pictures, but I bought a Vox Wah today, my first. I love it!

I use optical wahs, but I sometimes kinda miss my old Crybaby. Crybaby and Vox wahs are "the same," just a few tiny changes to the circuit between 'em - the Clyde McCoy guy was a trumpet player from the '30s and '40s who had a very expressive, vocal style to his trumpet playing, and the wah was supposed to get you some of that for the guitar. Vox outsourced the manufacturer of the wah after awhile, then Vox went under; the manufacturer of the Vox wah, however, did not, and changed the name, went right on making it. Dunlop picked up the rights later. The fasel used in the good Crybabies (and maybe the vox? I can't remember) has an odd nonlinearity to its harmonics, it's really a flaw that would make it problematic if used in a circuit that just needed a straightforward inductor, but it's got this sweet sound. I'll have to look up whether the Vox uses it or not.

Nothing sounds like a parked Crybaby/Vox. I love the ease of use and flexibility of my optical wahs, but there's a magic spot on a crybaby/vox where a dirty guitar signal just sounds so warm and sweet, but jagged as hell. One of my favorite tones, but I can't get it because I don't have the right kind of wah. Enjoy your toy :)

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 2, 2008

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Thought this thread would be appropriate alongside the pedal thread and the beginner guitar thread.

I'm new to fancy amps.

I'm currently using a Zoom Fire-15 which has served me well enough, but I'd like something that plays loud enough for public, with a nice sound and a great look to it. I saw this, which seemed pretty classic (click here), and everything I can find says nothing but good words of it, but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions (preferably no worse than the $600 for the one I liked to).

I'm also currently trying to wean myself off that Fire-15's built-in effects, and started off with a Vox Wah pedal purchase yesterday, so if anybody could throw in a great pedal suggestion for delay/reverb/echo and distortion, that would be fantastic.

cloudnine
Jul 13, 2007

by Peatpot
NMD (New Mouthpiece Day):

Monette B6.

Can't wait 'til it gets here. Got it for an awesome price, too.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I saw this, which seemed pretty classic (click here), and everything I can find says nothing but good words of it, but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions (preferably no worse than the $600 for the one I liked to).

I'm also currently trying to wean myself off that Fire-15's built-in effects, and started off with a Vox Wah pedal purchase yesterday, so if anybody could throw in a great pedal suggestion for delay/reverb/echo and distortion, that would be fantastic.

That amp isn't "classic" in any sense of the word. I get the feeling you're thinking to yourself, "hrm, I want an amp, Marshall is a name I recognize, I'll go buy whatever Marshall I can afford." That's a bad way to shop, especially in the low end. Mind you, I like the MG100's high gain tone, personally, but it needs some love if you want it to be reliable. Have an amp tech go over the whole thing and fix any cold joints, retrace parts of the circuit that look weak, and resolder the power section caps, then replace the fan that comes in the unit with a better fan of the same dimensions. Also, a lot of people hate that amp and will hate me for telling you that I like it.

If you're looking for other options in the price range, well, there are tons. If you're willing to buy used, you can get a pretty serious amp for around that price. Used tube combo amps, or even new entry-level tube combos like the Peavey Valve King (I don't really dig them that much, and the speakers they come with suck, but lots of folks around here have a VK and speak highly of them). My favorite pick for a new amp in your price range is the Randall RG75 G3 Plus, a phenomenal sounding amp with a great deal of versatility. Much more portable than a half stack, but it'll get louder than the MG100 (conservative power ratings are a Randall thing), and it will sound better regardless of the style of music you'll be playing, from country to death metal. Give one a try if you have a Randall dealer locally, or buy the ~$400 Scratch-n-Dent model from MusiciansFriend if you're feeling lucky. I would take it over a Valve King or especially an MG100 any day of the week. You don't need a half stack. No one needs a half stack. It's the least useful kind of amp. I wish I had a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x12, it's just a total pain in the rear end without any benefits at all. It isn't visually impressive like a full stack, and it isn't portable like a 2x12 or 1x12. It just sucks. You can get great tone out of a much smaller package, brutal as you like. The physics of sound are not such that you have to have four 12" speakers in a big box to make a big sound.

My picks for the effects:

Delay and echo are effectively the same thing at the medium range and higher levels of the market, since most pedals are feature packed these days - depending on your price range and needs, there are a ton of great delays right now. For analog delays with a lot of mojo, the MXR Carbon Copy and the Ibanez AD-9 are great. If you're looking for a more versatile, higher fidelity, digital delay without breaking the bank, you'll be happy with any of the following: Boss DD-7, Digitech Hardwire Delay, or my personal favorite, the Electro-Harmonix Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai, which has the best looper of them and a really fun, intuitive feature set. If you're looking to get one delay now and never have to buy another one, look no further than the pricey but amazing Eventide Timefactor.

I actually quite loved my Danelectro Dan-Echo, one of the warmest, most analog sounding digital delays I've used, but I needed more features and have not looked back since getting the fantastic Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai.

Reverb, well, you've got a few choices there, too. Hands down my favorite is the Marshall Reflector, which has (in my opinion) easily the most natural sounding, realistic delays, and which provides parameter control that lets you tweak the dimensions of your delay in a straightforward and effective manner. Another popular choice is the Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail Plus, which builds on the successful and popular Holy Grail to offer you slightly more control over the reverb and an additonal mode. I am intrigued by the Digitech Hardwire Reverb because of its impressive features and the fact that it uses Lexicon reverb algorithms (not the be-all, end-all or anything, but good sounding 'verb), but I haven't tried it. Something to keep in mind, though.

Distortion... I have around twenty or so distortion, overdrive, fuzz, and boost pedals, from solid state gear to tube preamps, raunchy to velvety smooth. I am either exactly the right person, or entirely the wrong person to talk to about distortion, depending on what you're trying to get out of the conversation. Are you looking to discriminate among the many options available and pick one "closest match" for your exact needs, or do you want to hear about how a bunch of different pedals are amazing at doing what they do, and that you can't get the same sonic texture out of two different pedals unless they're the same circuit? I'll field whatever questions you've got, regardless, but my own tone journey has led me to appreciate many different sounds. I can try to help you figure out which would be best for you, but the understood subtext should be that I think you ought to try everything you can get your hands on for yourself and stick with those that really speak to you.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

If you're looking for other options in the price range, well, there are tons. If you're willing to buy used, you can get a pretty serious amp for around that price. Used tube combo amps, or even new entry-level tube combos like the Peavey Valve King (I don't really dig them that much, and the speakers they come with suck, but lots of folks around here have a VK and speak highly of them). My favorite pick for a new amp in your price range is the Randall RG75 G3 Plus, a phenomenal sounding amp with a great deal of versatility. Much more portable than a half stack, but it'll get louder than the MG100 (conservative power ratings are a Randall thing), and it will sound better regardless of the style of music you'll be playing, from country to death metal. Give one a try if you have a Randall dealer locally, or buy the ~$400 Scratch-n-Dent model from MusiciansFriend if you're feeling lucky. I would take it over a Valve King or especially an MG100 any day of the week. You don't need a half stack. No one needs a half stack. It's the least useful kind of amp. I wish I had a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x12, it's just a total pain in the rear end without any benefits at all. It isn't visually impressive like a full stack, and it isn't portable like a 2x12 or 1x12. It just sucks. You can get great tone out of a much smaller package, brutal as you like. The physics of sound are not such that you have to have four 12" speakers in a big box to make a big sound.

So would something like this be a worthwhile purchase? It's a 2x12 Combo amp that is well within my price range, and has pretty good reviews. this youtube clip and this one sounds like it's what I'd like on both ends (except I'm not sure if that humming in the first vid is from the Amp, or the lovely sound quality from the camera, or what...I'll try to see if a local shop has one to play around with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
If you're buying your first proper amp then save up and get one thats really nice rather than getting one that is only a little bit better than what you have. Like agreed said, buying used really is the way to go.