Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Simkin posted:

Does the weird rotor setup on that make it any more difficult to change pads/rotors?

I haven't had to change them yet, but it looks like the caliper splits in two halves via allen bolts and the rotor needs a fork to be unbolted at the wheel to be removed. So I guess it's like most bikes except for the rotor being bolted to the wheel? I've only done it on cars at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

I haven't had to change them yet, but it looks like the caliper splits in two halves via allen bolts and the rotor needs a fork to be unbolted at the wheel to be removed. So I guess it's like most bikes except for the rotor being bolted to the wheel? I've only done it on cars at this point.

I'd be more inclined to say that you just undo the 2 caliper bolts, slide it down and off to the inside of the wheel, and change them normally.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Simkin posted:

Does the weird rotor setup on that make it any more difficult to change pads/rotors?
If anything, it makes it easier. :-)

My turn!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7036542858529134551&hl=en

Finally good pictures of my 1978 Peugeot 103 SP. I got a suprise today. The bike has the CVT. I thought it was single speed.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Nerobro posted:

My turn!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7036542858529134551&hl=en

Finally good pictures of my 1978 Peugeot 103 SP. I got a suprise today. The bike has the CVT. I thought it was single speed.

That is so cool, didn't realize CVTs had been around that long. Also it's the perfect color.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

I washed my bike, cleaned and lubed the chain, and took it for a little spin today. Just a few miles shy of 11,400miles on the bike, and 3000 miles of seat time for me in the first 3 months of owning a motorcycle, hurray! Also note, if you take the front windscreen off it's neigh impossible to get the lower screws back on without removing the upper fairing. That's a next weekend project I think.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

blugu64 posted:

That is so cool, didn't realize CVTs had been around that long.

da Vinci came up with the idea in 1490 or so according to http://www.sae.org/automag/techbriefs_01-00/03.htm Patents for working devices have been around since the 1880s.

I've always liked vehicles with a CVT, balance the throttle so it sits at the peak torque point, and let the transmission do the hard work of keeping it busy.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
They work well in snowmobiles, and I have sometimes considered dropping a amped up sled motor and CVT into a street bike. There isn't much compression braking in such a system though, they pretty much freewheel and that might be a bit disconcerting.

I love that pivoting engine. That whole Poocho is cool except for that seat. Makes a person think about the old spider bikes of the 70's.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

evilnissan posted:

How do you like you 250 rebel?

Right now I have a 250cc scooter and It does just fine for the kind of ridding and can keep up with 55-60mph traffic just fine, even when riding 2 up.

The plan is to pick up a small bike next year and pass the scooter on to my GF and I have to come to realize I dont need a big bike because I can see my self getting in trouble real fast with a quick bike.

I actually really love it. I've ridden dirt bikes all my life and I've found that I get myself into the most trouble when I have a bike thats too powerful. So I chose to start small, with the rebel, and move up if I needed too. I admit though, I couldn't stand the stock handlebars, so I changed them to dirt bike style bars. I'm a pretty small guy, About 5'6 and 120lbs. It fits me perfect, and I have no problem ridding it at highway speeds. But if I was any larger I'd get something bigger. Just be prepared for lots of dumb comments from guys with bigger bikes. Last week I was at the mall and some guy pulled up on his brand new Goldwing and asked me when I was getting a bike without training wheels. I don't care though.

If anyone cares, here is a before and after pic.

The PO didn't take very good care off it. Lots of cleanup work.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Gnomad posted:

They work well in snowmobiles, and I have sometimes considered dropping a amped up sled motor and CVT into a street bike. There isn't much compression braking in such a system though, they pretty much freewheel and that might be a bit disconcerting.

I love that pivoting engine. That whole Poocho is cool except for that seat. Makes a person think about the old spider bikes of the 70's.
The seat is broken. I'm convinced someone tried to do a sweet jump with the bike and caused all the damage at once. Breaking the pedal off, Bending the crankarm, Breaking the seat, and breaking the bead on the back tire. :-) I will be fixing the seat. The seat is supposed to be flat, and it will be again. Or else I"ll be buying a bicycle seat for it.

2 strokes really don't have much engine braking anyway, so a CVT isn't going to change the feel "that" much. According to the manual, this bike should be able to climb a 20% incline!

I am going to just get it going for the winter, and play with it in the snow. In the spring I'll have a 70cc kit and tuned pipe on order.

The carburetor on it is a trip. There's no needle, but it has a slide. The linkage that moves the slide is bent wire. The float bowl is part of the carb casting. The choke, is a real choke, and not a starter carb. Then again, the whole carb is as big as the starter carbs on my 550.

R. P. McMurphy
Jan 1, 2008

by Fistgrrl
My bike finally arrived this morning - after four months of paperwork and other vehicle import related bullshit.

It is currently sitting in a crate in my garage. Will reconnect the batteries and fuel her up later tonight.

The crate.

Like most Italian girls, she has a tight waist and curves in all the right places.

Possibly the sexiest swing arm ever made. Single-sided and constructed solely from tubular stock.

Chrome cockpit. Clip-ons because its a cafe racer.

Engine RPM. Nothing else is important.

R. P. McMurphy fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 27, 2008

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
My wild hog with a blistering 14-18hp.

I like it, and it goes down the road at 55-60mpg with out much fuss even when 2up. it will do 70mph but thats really pushing it with the motor buzzing at a unknown but high rpm.

Note the awesome ATV rear end-pad due to the my rear end not liking that seat and riding becomes a pain only after 15-20 minuets with out it.

Right now its in my shed needing the valves adjusted but I havnt had much interest due to the cold snap and shift change at work.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

R. P. McMurphy posted:

My bike finally arrived this morning - after four months of paperwork and other vehicle import related bullshit.

Awesome! For those who don't recognize it, that is a Ducati MH900evoluzione. One of 2000 produced.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Jesus H. Christ, thats a stunning machine.

R. P. McMurphy
Jan 1, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Zool posted:

Awesome! For those who don't recognize it, that is a Ducati MH900evoluzione. One of 2000 produced.

Yep. That's exactly what it is. The only difference is mine has polished wheels (the stock wheels were painted grey) and a set of Termignoni exhausts.

I wanted one of these really badly when they were released, but they were priced well out of my price range when they were new. Fortunately they've come down a lot in price. The only difficulty is finding one for sale as they're relatively uncommon and sell fairly quickly.

The engine on the MH900e isn't particularly advanced. It is the 900cc twin-valve oil & air cooled desmo unit that was used in the SS900, so there's only about 80hp in stock form.

However the bike is gorgeous. Even though the design is almost seven years old, I still think they're sex on wheels.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Zool posted:

:aaa: Oh my loving god. And I don't like sportbikes.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

R. P. McMurphy posted:

Engine RPM. Nothing else is important.

loving awesome bike, is that legal in the states? Also, mind telling how much that set you back?

R. P. McMurphy
Jan 1, 2008

by Fistgrrl

shaitan posted:

loving awesome bike, is that legal in the states? Also, mind telling how much that set you back?

Yes. They're definitely street legal in the US.

A lot of these bikes ended up as static displays in living rooms and office lobbies, so you can still find new bikes despite the fact that they were a one-off design exercise that has been out of production for 5-6 years.

Fortunately I bought my bike just before our local currency tanked, so I got a decent deal.

In the US you should expect to pay around $11-12k USD for a good used bike, or $15-16k USD for a zero mile bike (there is currently a new one listed on EBay for $15k USD in Brookfield, CT).

If you do buy a zero mile bike, you would want to have the timing belt replaced and the exhaust bracket strengthened. Otherwise it should be good to go.

R. P. McMurphy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 28, 2008

DiZ
Jan 3, 2005

I am Dizzunk, Certified German Lubrication Technician.
A new picture taken by Smirk, his VTR250 on the left and my GS500 on the right.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
As of last weekend. 2 weeks work sofar.

It was this...

Kaptainballistik fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Oct 30, 2008

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Kaptainballistik posted:

As of last weekend. 2 weeks work sofar.

It was this...

Good god, man. That's a lot of work accomplished. Good job. What is that thing?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DiZ posted:

A new picture taken by Smirk, his VTR250 on the left and my GS500 on the right.

Those naked VTR250s are just :swoon:

They're only sold in Australia, New Zealand and other Pacific atolls right?

R. P. McMurphy
Jan 1, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Ola posted:

Those naked VTR250s are just :swoon:

They're only sold in Australia, New Zealand and other Pacific atolls right?

I've seen people riding them in Japan.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I'm on the bike in front. Yeah, we were speeding, but I only passed on the left in legal passing zones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9EQ2eSZwQ&fmt=6

Make sure you watch the end.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MrKatharsis posted:

I'm on the bike in front. Yeah, we were speeding, but I only passed on the left in legal passing zones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9EQ2eSZwQ&fmt=6

Make sure you watch the end.

What the hell man.

Also I'm going to see rise against on halloween. Should be pretty entertaining.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!

FluffGrenade posted:

Good god, man. That's a lot of work accomplished. Good job. What is that thing?

Its a 71 Yamaha AT-1 (B), Should have the control cables and Carby refitted fitted by Sunday. Im waiting for a Second hand Generator housing / points assembly as mine had rotted.

It appears the bike was partially submerged for a small period of time, Most likely at the previous owners holiday caravan near a river. The Oil metering pump enclosure was also a mess , But a fixable mess. The Motor and Carb are as clean as a whistle and the box has no signs of water ingress.

I dont have much choice in fixing this thing fast, The next task is reshelling Cat Terrorists VR4 , And the shell turns up next saturday....

cricket eater joe
Nov 11, 2005

by Ozmaugh
I've decided to make a tradition out of Halloween. Every October I am going to get a new bike to celebrate, needless to say the wife is not pleased.

Here is last year's bike.

http://img.waffleimages.com/7830b6c86cbbaa99b4077ee644ee6b3948fba4e2/Halloween 004.JPG

This year I decided to go with something modern and picked up a trike. I'm pretty pleased with it.

http://img.waffleimages.com/ee019c0ff472839d1d6b163190e0e57d5951c27a/Halloween 006.JPG

The collection so far.

http://img.waffleimages.com/51708f7b709810d968da175204d5b26941af08bd/Halloween 009.JPG

Here's a for real picture the wife took lately of me out riding.

http://img.waffleimages.com/6231a6f5b77785942cec7e041c06af400e9a82de/Big Bend Rally 001.JPG

And here's my daughter looking metal as gently caress and ready to go ride.

http://img.waffleimages.com/60bab7daf5a7df0e9a36399d24926ddd11fbcae2/Leah 156.JPG

http://img.waffleimages.com/d02d244cc29a34b7d416003ee41e95b1b8da39fc/Leah 158.JPG

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Dec 16, 2008

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

No helmet? Check
No gear? Check
iPod? Check

God that's a lot of freedom goin on right there.

I'm jealous of your front yard decorations.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Spiffness posted:

No helmet? Check
No gear? Check
iPod? Check

God that's a lot of freedom goin on right there.

I'm jealous of your front yard decorations.

Too much freedom for me. :canada:

I mean, I won't loving ride my push bike without a helmet on, so... Seeing that there are places where people willing choose to not wear helmets is just ... :wtc:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
daughter really is ready to go ride! she's got all her protective gear on just like daddy!

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

snail posted:

I've always liked vehicles with a CVT, balance the throttle so it sits at the peak torque point, and let the transmission do the hard work of keeping it busy.

Not quite. A CVT will hold the engine at the point of peak power, not peak torque.

Power = torque x rpm

Torque = power / rpm

Higher rpm at the engine (i.e. point of peak power) allows for more torque multiplication in the transmission, giving greater torque at the wheel/s despite producing less torque at the crankshaft.

There's no throttle balancing for acceleration either, a CVT can go WOT the whole time, and simply keep increasing the gear ratio in order to hold the engine rpm at the point of peak power.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 31, 2008

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
[quote="Nerobro"]

My turn!

Finally I feel at home. I miss my old Chinese no name moped. :( They're pretty fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cricket eater joe posted:

I've decided to make a tradition out of Halloween. Every October I am going to get a new bike to celebrate, needless to say the wife is not pleased.

Here is last year's bike.

This year I decided to go with something modern and picked up a trike. I'm pretty pleased with it.

The collection so far.

Table breaking, no gear, ipod.

You have made the trifecta of huge noob mistakes here.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The government still allows me to vote with the 3/5ths brain capacity I still have after my first accident on my Ultraglide.

gently caress you pinko terrorists.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Simkin posted:

Too much freedom for me. :canada:

I mean, I won't loving ride my push bike without a helmet on, so... Seeing that there are places where people willing choose to not wear helmets is just ... :wtc:

I just moved to Florida and if the percentage of riders down here who wear a helmet is much over 10% I would be loving shocked. In fact I'd say that the percentage of riders who have their helmet strapped to the bike and not their head is a greater number. Also actual bike jackets are on maybe 5%. I understand it's hot down here, but seriously. Oh and now that it's cooled down a bit to the 70s and you would think that number would go up. Not so much.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The government still allows me to vote with the 3/5ths brain capacity I still have after my first accident on my Ultraglide.

gently caress you pinko terrorists.

So wait... You can vote, if you're legally retarded, but they can't execute you? Sweet.

I was always under the impression that once you had a kid, you were supposed to ... become the safest, most boring person in the world - or at least curtail stupid risks. I mean, when you take your daughter out for a spin on your bike, are you going to let her ride without a helmet? No, I didn't think so. But you're going to be in the saddle for far more time then her, and if you die, due to preventable head trauma, well, I guess she'll have to just learn the facts of life at an early age. :suicide:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

cricket eater joe posted:

I really never give anyone poo poo for riding without gear because I do enough stupid poo poo on a motorcycle already so it would be pretty hypocritical, but Jesus Christ you have a toddler, at least if I die I'll only be leaving behind a pet millipede. Please stop being an idiot and consider why everyone is giving you crap. Hopefully before you get killed in an accident that a helmet would have saved you in and your daughter has to grow up without a dad.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus

pr0zac posted:

I really never give anyone poo poo for riding without gear because I do enough stupid poo poo on a motorcycle already so it would be pretty hypocritical, but Jesus Christ you have a toddler, at least if I die I'll only be leaving behind a pet millipede. Please stop being an idiot and consider why everyone is giving you crap. Hopefully before you get killed in an accident that a helmet would have saved you in and your daughter has to grow up without a dad.

Eh, if he dies now his wife will re-marry a hopefully smarter man, and the child will benefit from it.

I bet the new guy doesn't break tables.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

pr0zac posted:

Hold on, you have a pet millipede? Tell us more.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

blugu64 posted:

Hold on, you have a pet millipede? Tell us more.

Yeah man. They are like fifteen bucks at PetCo and live around 8 years. Best pet ever:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Yeah man. They are like fifteen bucks at PetCo and live around 8 years. Best pet ever:

That was a cunning lead in.

And yeah, dude, gear up a little. My g/f lost her dad at 15 and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but at least she was old enough to understand it. Your toddler will be horribly hosed up if you die in a motorcycle accident. My g/f just went through an accident and wouldn't be walking right now if not for her gear. She still got a fair bit messed up, but she's still a walking, talking human being as a result of her gear. Don't do it for you, do it for the little girl that should have a father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Picture of the garage, taken a few days ago after fitting my Yoshimura 4-2-1 system and giving the 'busa a polish.

The 'busa up front, Mondeo XR5 behind it, my wifes Honda CBR125 and the Kawasaki ER6n behind that.

It's my own host, so do your worst and linked for bigness :)

http://playingwithfire.org/images/hayabusa/010.jpg

There are other pictures in that folder of the exhaust swap, but are really fairly dull.