Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Fragrag posted:

That clears things up a bit. Is it any different with DSLRs? Because when I preview the aperture, I can see the shutter closed, which means it's in front of the mirror. Or am I starting to confuse stuff?

You're even using the right terms! When you preview the aperture, you're doing just that. The aperture blades are closing up inside the lens to let in less light. You're confusing the aperture in the lens with the shutter that covers up the film/sensor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

Rontalvos posted:

You're even using the right terms! When you preview the aperture, you're doing just that. The aperture blades are closing up inside the lens to let in less light. You're confusing the aperture in the lens with the shutter that covers up the film/sensor.

I feel mightily stupid now then. >_< You'd think I know this stuff after working a year with cameras.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...

Fragrag posted:

That clears things up a bit. Is it any different with DSLRs? Because when I preview the aperture, I can see the shutter closed, which means it's in front of the mirror. Or am I starting to confuse stuff?

That thing you see close IS the aperture.

edit:We answer 3 times because we care. Don't mistreat your silver salts.

dunno fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 31, 2008

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Fragrag posted:

that's not the shutter, that's the aperture.

oops, a page behind.

In any case, the shutter can be thought of as a curtain that is raised and dropped, it's more of a line. This isn't really technically how it works, but thinking about it like this can help you better distinguish it from the aperture and the entry and exit pupils of the lens.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Fragrag posted:

Yes the aperture is in the lens, so you can see the affect of opening/closing it through the viewfinder.

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

everyone but the first post on this page is a dumbass.

Luxmore
Jun 5, 2001
e: i am smart

edit for content: Velvia 100f is pretty swell.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

johnasavoia posted:

everyone but the first post on this page is a dumbass.

:(
Ok, to repeat my question with the Zeiss Ikon Contina L. To me, it seemed the aperture was stuck. No matter how much I fiddled around with it, the aperture wouldn't open it. Granted, I didn't try taking any pictures with it because it was only on display, but the aperture is something I (a dumbass) would presume to be open at least a bit at all times, wouldn't it?

gib
Jul 14, 2004
I am probably Lowtax

Fragrag posted:

:(
Ok, to repeat my question with the Zeiss Ikon Contina L. To me, it seemed the aperture was stuck. No matter how much I fiddled around with it, the aperture wouldn't open it. Granted, I didn't try taking any pictures with it because it was only on display, but the aperture is something I (a dumbass) would presume to be open at least a bit at all times, wouldn't it?

The Contina has a leaf shutter. It looks a little bit like an aperture, but the aperture is usually behind the shutter in these cameras. If you look in through the lens you'll just see the blades of the leaf shutter, which only move when you take a photo.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Does anyone know of a site that shows examples of the different film types? I'd like to experiment with film as I think it has a look that digital can't replicate.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Haggins posted:

Does anyone know of a site that shows examples of the different film types? I'd like to experiment with film as I think it has a look that digital can't replicate.

Search flickr for tags (ie: I want to find Velvia 50 shots that have been crossprocessed, I would search for "Velvia+50+Cross+Xprocess+xpro")

Snaily
Mar 5, 2006
Sluggish. Wee!

Snaily posted:

Cleaning, lubing and adjusting your own cheap finds: yes or no?

More specifically, I'm thinking of getting a cheap Hasselblad with a sticky shutter and lubing it with the help of a service manual. Am I likely to ruin it?

I hate to self-quote, but I think I got lost in the deluge of shutter != aperture posts. I'm imagining camera service is basically disassembly in a clean spot, lube wherever service books says and reassembly without getting your private parts caught in the bayonet mount. Am I terribly naive?

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

Snaily posted:

I hate to self-quote, but I think I got lost in the deluge of shutter != aperture posts. I'm imagining camera service is basically disassembly in a clean spot, lube wherever service books says and reassembly without getting your private parts caught in the bayonet mount. Am I terribly naive?

It's a big pain in the butt. I've done it a few times but frankly for the money you're probably better off paying someone. Stuck aperture blades are hard to manage, tiny little springs are impossible to get positioned properly, timing of shutter speeds is hard to calibrate, basically the whole thing is far more like fixing mechanical watches than any other modern hardware.

Dfhaii
Jan 4, 2007

Haggins posted:

http://pbase.com/cameras

From there you can go to various manufacturers, then their products to see results from them, it includes films, cameras and lenses. It's pretty good.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel
I'm thinking about buying VueScan. Is it worthwhile?

Right now I have an Epson V500 and the images I am getting out of it with the Epson software look like crap. I tried to scan some 120 Velvia and the colors straight out of the scanner look awful and they seem very unsharp. Does VueScan have film profiles that can automate a lot of this? I'd rather not have to mess with each image in photoshop to make it look like Velvia.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I use VueScan and it works perfectly for me, but I have custom profiles for my scanner.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
Should it matter if I scan to tiff files? Would I have more flexibility scanning a raw?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

porcellus posted:

Should it matter if I scan to tiff files? Would I have more flexibility scanning a raw?

My guess is that tiff is just fine. Raw files benefit from the extra data generated by the camera when you take the picture. Whereas scanning a print into raw would, to me, be the same as converting a jpeg to raw.

There is likely no benefit to raw in this case.

porcellus
Oct 28, 2004
oh wait, wrong chat window
I was hoping you'd say that, I really hate the fact that I can't preview NEF files.

Edit:

porcellus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 6, 2008

what is this
Sep 11, 2001

it is a lemur

porcellus posted:

I was hoping you'd say that, I really hate the fact that I can't preview NEF files.

Native support for all RAW formats on Mac OS X. Preview, everything. No additional software or install required.

I'm also sure there's some extension you can download for windows. Last time we had this discussion all the microsoft fans linked to it.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

My guess is that tiff is just fine. Raw files benefit from the extra data generated by the camera when you take the picture. Whereas scanning a print into raw would, to me, be the same as converting a jpeg to raw.

There is likely no benefit to raw in this case.

I disagree, the scanner has an imaging sensor and if the colors are off you can remix them in raw to a greater degree.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

friendship waffle posted:

Native support for all RAW formats on Mac OS X. Preview, everything. No additional software or install required.

I'm also sure there's some extension you can download for windows. Last time we had this discussion all the microsoft fans linked to it.

There is an official Microsoft one, but you need an officially registered copy of windows last time I checked.

The way it handles RAW and color profiling make me pretty sure my next box will be a MAC.

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

I got this today:

and am super excited about it.

Already working through my first roll of black and white with it, seems to be in perfect working order despite some wear and tear on the outside.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
TLR's are the poo poo, congrats on that. Post some scans of your shots if you can!

Sn0wMan
Apr 23, 2003

cwazy
I LOVE shooting film and was so happy to find a school that taught with 4x5 view camera and had complete wetrooms. Tho these days I'm working on HDR panorama's which are huge timesinks, I love to get out and shoot film to balance things out... Here;s a shot I took at the end of summer that I just scanned last week.

Nikon N75 w/ Fuji Velvia 50asa shot at 80asa @ 1/60th second @ f/11
35mm Slide reversal film scanned with a Nikon film scanner at 4000dpi

This pic is all about light and color(saturation), and just screams when projected!

Sn0wMan fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 6, 2008

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

w_hat posted:

I disagree, the scanner has an imaging sensor and if the colors are off you can remix them in raw to a greater degree.

The flexibility of raw files comes from all the data available when the picture was taken being retained. The print is just like a jpeg. There will never be any more data available than currently exists in that print, because when the film was exposed, any other available data was cast aside by virtue of the film.

Scanning it into raw would be analogous to converting a jpeg to raw, you can't just invent extra information that just isn't there.

w_hat
Jul 8, 2003

Rontalvos posted:

The flexibility of raw files comes from all the data available when the picture was taken being retained. The print is just like a jpeg. There will never be any more data available than currently exists in that print, because when the film was exposed, any other available data was cast aside by virtue of the film.

Scanning it into raw would be analogous to converting a jpeg to raw, you can't just invent extra information that just isn't there.

I meant that while yes, you're stuck with the picture, you can correct for any color casts the scanner perceives.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I recently inherited a Nikon FM that my dad bought in 1977. I have no idea what I am doing with it, but I manage to have fun anyway. A few months ago I dragged it to devil's playground on Pikes Peak to take some pictures of the hillclimb:

Here was my least awful image of the day:

I was overexposing poo poo all day because I had been incorrectly lead to beleive that the built-in light meter would read low. Apparently it only does that when the battery is low, which I had just changed.

Pretty sure I used offbrand film, and had it developed at a walgreens. If I can ever find the time, I can't wait to get back into film.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

w_hat posted:

I meant that while yes, you're stuck with the picture, you can correct for any color casts the scanner perceives.

You can do that no matter what file format he scans it in. You can do that with any image file out there. Scanning in no way affects this.

dunno
Sep 11, 2003
If only he knew...
So I developed some Kodak 320 TXP in 120 format this morning and did my usual diafine dance but an hour or so into drying I noticed that the emulsion side is sort of sticky. Is this a sign of under-fixing? A feature of Tri-X Pan? Random?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!
In my little experience in the matter, Tmax 120 has like a chemical something or other that turns the prewash a strong purple, and I forget the what/reason besides the advice just to wash it really well.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Jahoodie posted:

In my little experience in the matter, Tmax 120 has like a chemical something or other that turns the prewash a strong purple, and I forget the what/reason besides the advice just to wash it really well.

That's the antihalation layer.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Not the most awesome vintage find or anything, but picked up a Rebel 2000 with a 28-80 3.5-5.6 for $10 at a garage sale this morning. I've already got an Elan, but this is lighter/smaller, so it'll make the perfect beater to drop in my backpack and cart around casually (even though it's practically mint). I saw a cool little Pentax with a 50mm prime at another one, but it had been really neglected and the shutter was jammed. I'll have to spend more Saturday mornings trawling suburbia for cameras, I seems like most people have no idea what they're selling. Now, if only I could fine a cheap 35mm prime...

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 8, 2008

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
I just started shooting film on a serious amateur/semi-pro basis. Shot the following on Fujicolor Superia 100 @ 80, Nikon F5 with a 35mm f/2 manual AI lens. Scanned with a Nikon Coolscan 5000. Straight scan, no color correction, just a minor tweak in brightness. Still working out the bugs with the scanner and my technique.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From my new Nokton 50 1.5:

(Arista Premium/Tri-X in Diafine)

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

On the advice of a local street photography guru I shot some 400 speed color film at 250(developed at box speed by CVS) and holy poo poo, dynamic range for days, even in the contrastiest of shots, shadows are open and I can pull detail out of every single highlight, every single shot has near infinite highlight detail, I know film is miles ahead of digital in this regard, but this is beyond anything I had seen. Film was Fuji Press 400, but I'm sure it would work for anything.

sprintel langsley
Jul 1, 2006

lust for life
hey cool thread idea - yeah, film rules.

when I was working on my undergrad photography thesis, I wanted to make the brightest, boldest, most colorful images, so I ended up shooting the final product on medium format Kodak high-saturation / high-contrast color slide film ISO 100. it was awesome getting those transparencies back from the lab, and I felt like a god loading those shotgun shells of color into my Bronica film back

take a look

Click here for the full 727x729 image.

you can see the rest of the images in the FOOD series on my website
http://www.djhanus.com/

sprintel langsley fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 12, 2008

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

johnasavoia posted:

On the advice of a local street photography guru I shot some 400 speed color film at 250(developed at box speed by CVS) and holy poo poo, dynamic range for days, even in the contrastiest of shots, shadows are open and I can pull detail out of every single highlight, every single shot has near infinite highlight detail, I know film is miles ahead of digital in this regard, but this is beyond anything I had seen. Film was Fuji Press 400, but I'm sure it would work for anything.

That sounds cool, do you have any scanned that you could share? How come you don't lose the highlights to overexposure?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Reichstag posted:

From my new Nokton 50 1.5:

(Arista Premium/Tri-X in Diafine)

Hey, I just realized you post on RangefinderForum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnasavoia
Jan 9, 2006

Pompous Rhombus posted:

That sounds cool, do you have any scanned that you could share? How come you don't lose the highlights to overexposure?

Film takes overexposure much much better than digital does, at the expense of shadows not being as malleable as digital can be sometimes, so by giving it all that extra light, you get well exposed shadows, and more than enough highlight information.
Heres one straight from the scan, only inverted, taken around 2pm with the strongest contrastiest light we got that day.

and here is with -2.5EV in lightroom

From the whole roll I shot like this, not a single shot didn't have all the highlights intact.