Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LividLiquid posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I saw the pilot first. It hooked me completely. Especially the Kaylee fake-out.

Firefly was the first Whedon show I ever watched, and I saw it on DVD. The Kaylee fakeout was the moment where I fell head over heels in love with the show.

I can't fathom what it would've been like for the already converted, who would be used to Whedon killing off beloved characters as regularly as he shaved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradol Rex
Oct 17, 2008

by Fragmaster

LividLiquid posted:

Couldn't disagree more. I saw the pilot first. It hooked me completely. Especially the Kaylee fake-out.

The only problem I had with the pilot (watching on dvd) was that they played the opening credits which blew a ton of twists in the first episode. I wish they had just forgone the open for the first show.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

mobn posted:

I loved the first episode. It was more like a novel than a 42 minute TV show. You got to see a whole hell of a lot of character development. The issue is that it was largely subtextual (thinks like Mal kissing the cross before running into battle), and therefore over the heads of 90% of FOX viewers.

I'm with you. I thought the original pilot was far, far superior to The Train Job - while I think The Train Job is a fine episode on it's on. Like you say, it is dense and packed with details - it's a large part of the origin story. I don't think you can truly understand Mal as a character unless you fully absorb the impact of the war on him; it's only this first episode which shows that war.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
Going to have to jump on the "liked the first episode of Firefly" train. I never would have guessed that people didn't like it, actually... I've introduced several friends to the show and never thought to start them on a different episode.

ender42
Jun 14, 2005
Naga, naga, na gonna work here anymore

Tupping Liberty posted:

Going to have to jump on the "liked the first episode of Firefly" train. I never would have guessed that people didn't like it, actually... I've introduced several friends to the show and never thought to start them on a different episode.

I also like the first episode - but when I'm trying to "recruit" a new person to the show, most of the time I start with "The Message"...

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.

Paradol Rex posted:

The only problem I had with the pilot (watching on dvd) was that they played the opening credits which blew a ton of twists in the first episode. I wish they had just forgone the open for the first show.

But don't forget that when he started Buffy, Joss wanted to add Jesse to the opening credits of the pilot episode only to kill him off in episode 2. So credits or not, anyone is fair game.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Uncle Ulty posted:

But don't forget that when he started Buffy, Joss wanted to add Jesse to the opening credits of the pilot episode only to kill him off in episode 2. So credits or not, anyone is fair game.

And Tara was killed the same episode she was added to the opening credits.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Patrovsky posted:

Until I learned that Joss was just a complete bastard like that, I figured it was a final bit of respect for her, not a massive fakeout :)

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Patrovsky posted:

I never even noticed that.

Evil son of a bitch.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
So I rewatched the series finale of Angel last night and I don't know which is more sad, Lyndsey getting killed after finally feeling accepted or Wesleys death :smith:

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Look, I'm late to the game ok? I saw some episodes of Buffy a long time ago when they would marathon it on FX and I thought it was pretty good and such but I didn't really get into it ...

But I just watched all of Firefly and...only one season?? Seriously, only one?!?! gently caress the fuckers that canceled this show and gently caress em hard. I know this thread is long past all of this and you're into the details of whatever but I mean gently caress, what the hell? :(

And much of the discussion in this thread is about Angel? loving hell TV IV...I'm never going to get anything done ever again.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

loving bro hug posted:

Look, I'm late to the game ok? I saw some episodes of Buffy a long time ago when they would marathon it on FX and I thought it was pretty good and such but I didn't really get into it ...

But I just watched all of Firefly and...only one season?? Seriously, only one?!?! gently caress the fuckers that canceled this show and gently caress em hard. I know this thread is long past all of this and you're into the details of whatever but I mean gently caress, what the hell? :(

It's okay, we still feel the same anger.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

loving bro hug posted:

But I just watched all of Firefly and...only one season?? Seriously, only one?!?! gently caress the fuckers that canceled this show and gently caress em hard.
No one watched it. Including you apparently. Though the question is whether that was due to lack of promotion (gently caress FOX!!!) or lack of interest (stupid dumb public!!!)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 1, 2008

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

smackfu posted:

No one watched it. Including you apparently. Though the question is whether that was due to lack of promotion (gently caress FOX!!!) or lack of interest (stupid dumb public!!!)

I was young and stupid. Forgive me.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

smackfu posted:

It was on Friday nights and the ad campaign made it look like a comedy. They were set to Walking on the Sun by Smashmouth and played up the "space hooker" thing for christ's sake. I figured I'd give it a chance but it just looked like a goofy space comedy that aired when I was out partying. I never saw it until the pilot aired last even though I was a big Buffy fan.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002

LividLiquid posted:

It was on Friday nights and the ad campaign made it look like a comedy. They were set to Walking on the Sun by Smashmouth and played up the "space hooker" thing for christ's sake. I figured I'd give it a chance but it just looked like a goofy space comedy that aired when I was out partying. I never saw it until the pilot aired last even though I was a big Buffy fan.

The ads seriously sucked. They were basically "check out these wacky guys in space!" They were so bad that I refused to watch it even when my roommate got the DVDs. He eventually got me to watch them by continually bitching at me.

Dark Chicken fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 1, 2008

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

LividLiquid posted:

For me it was two things: 1. If I'm not mistaken, it ran with Fast Lane, and I was going to be raped by a donkey if I was going to watch something from the creators of "The Fast and the Furious."

2. The commercials for it. Good lord, it looked lame. Especially since they had the shot of naked River in the cryo chamber and the voice over said "And now they finally have SOMETHING WORTH FIGHTING FOR."

My eyes rolled just about as far back into my head as they would go. I didn't even hear that Joss had any involvement until later.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

As if Buffy was the hero... of course, she is supposed to die, young and in service of the Watchers....

What a drag. Especially in SoCal: She sacrifices her teenage years for martydom.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

LividLiquid posted:

The only bad thing I have to say about Jane is that she does the WORST loving audio commentaries I've ever heard. Ever.
This sounds like something that someone who hasn't sat through a James A. Contner commentary would say.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Does this Cottner fellow not say anything for five minutes, then describe what's happening on-screen like it's an aid for blind people?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

LividLiquid posted:

Does this Cottner fellow not say anything for five minutes, then describe what's happening on-screen like it's an aid for blind people?
No, he has an incredibly monotone voice, and describes directorial things* in the most boring way. I think he did some Commentaries on Season 3, I wanna say Consequences was one of them, but I could be wrong.

* Somehow even though I'm not terribly interested in this kinda stuff, Joss still made it all sound interesting any time he spoke about it.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Brimmy posted:

So I rewatched the series finale of Angel last night and I don't know which is more sad, Lyndsey getting killed after finally feeling accepted or Wesleys death :smith:

Neither. The saddest loving thing about that episode, and indeed the whole series was Lorne.

He was poo poo on the entire time, people only using him for his reading abilities but never giving a hell about him. Then he does the final act, totally contrary to his nature, and leaves completely broken.

"Goodnight, folks."

:smith:

Biggest downer of the entire series for me.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
Speaking of Whedon Commentaries, does anyone know what the gently caress the one for Objects in Space was about? I certainly do not.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Basically, does an object (in space) exist outside of its purpose? e.g., Is River's room still her room if she's not in it?

Specifically, is River still River if the alliance changed her into a weapon and, if she isn't a weapon, does she still exist? And lots and lots of the underlying philosophy inherent in that question, with Star Wars references.

rejutka fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 3, 2008

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AquaVita posted:

Neither. The saddest loving thing about that episode, and indeed the whole series was Lorne.

Yeah, it's a sad tale. He's sincerely good and yet gets the short end most of the time. His family hated him, his entire world rejected him, and Angel treated him like hired help. He was most likely Connor's main caregiver, well, excepting Holtz, of course. And yet? Bumpkis.

He did survive and escape, seemingly, so there's that.

Gassire
Dec 30, 2004

"They're people. Deeply flawed, yes, but deeply human too. And maybe that's saying the same thing."

Stonefish posted:

Until I learned that Joss was just a complete bastard like that, I figured it was a final bit of respect for her, not a massive fakeout :)

It was, he added her to the credits mainly as a thank you so she can add featured cast member on Buffy to her resume.

I never said I didn't like the first episode, just that it could have been edited better to serve as a premiere. The Battle for Serenity Pass shouldn't have been the first scene of the series. It dampens its effect on Mal if you see what he was like during the battle before the meet the current Mal. They could cut the flashback, opened with the Train Job's ante-credit scene and with the extra time add back into the pilot the scene where Book hints at the importance of Serenity to Simon. Then they could have saved the flashback for later in the series when you have a better idea of how important the battle was to Mal and have started getting curious to see it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

redshirt posted:

Yeah, it's a sad tale. He's sincerely good and yet gets the short end most of the time. His family hated him, his entire world rejected him, and Angel treated him like hired help. He was most likely Connor's main caregiver, well, excepting Holtz, of course. And yet? Bumpkis.

He did survive and escape, seemingly, so there's that.

Do not forget the only person who treated him with respect was Fred and we all remember what happened to her.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

Gassire posted:

and with the extra time add back into the pilot the scene where Book hints at the importance of Serenity to Simon.

Just change the voice of the encyclopaedia and that whole scene is perfect.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Gassire posted:

It was, he added her to the credits mainly as a thank you so she can add featured cast member on Buffy to her resume.

I never said I didn't like the first episode, just that it could have been edited better to serve as a premiere. The Battle for Serenity Pass shouldn't have been the first scene of the series. It dampens its effect on Mal if you see what he was like during the battle before the meet the current Mal. They could cut the flashback, opened with the Train Job's ante-credit scene and with the extra time add back into the pilot the scene where Book hints at the importance of Serenity to Simon. Then they could have saved the flashback for later in the series when you have a better idea of how important the battle was to Mal and have started getting curious to see it.

That might make sense in text, but I think it would be utterly incomprehensible on screen. Especially for your typical TV viewer. The pilot was already skirting the edge of what your typical TV fan is willing to follow in terms of complexity.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Gassire posted:

He had apparently asked her if she wanted to be in the credits during season five, and she said something to the effect of, "No, I don't really care about my name in the credits." So I guess he had felt she deserved to be in there before, and gave her that last chance.

Although it is true that he kinda wanted the fakeout at the same time, and had wanted such a fakeout since episode one and the Jesse character. But we never saw him again or remembered his existence, so whatever.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Gordon Shumway posted:

Although it is true that he kinda wanted the fakeout at the same time, and had wanted such a fakeout since episode one and the Jesse character. But we never saw him again or remembered his existence, so whatever.
That's always bothered me. Xander's best friend gets vamped and killed and we never hear about it again.

I know they wanted to bring him back for Conversations with Dead people along with Amber Benson, but they didn't, so it's just kind of a hanging thread.

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain
I still want to see the final episode as planned. Instead of just bringing back Caleb after he died, they were going to go through a larger list, possibly involving Kendra and some other dead people.

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Stonefish posted:

I still want to see the final episode as planned. Instead of just bringing back Caleb after he died, they were going to go through a larger list, possibly involving Kendra and some other dead people.

I want to see "Restless" as it was planned.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hahahahaha.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, this is your "What the gently caress" of the day, from this interview Joss did for Vice Magazine. Goes into a lot of interesting detail, you get a small taste of what his Wonder Woman movie might have been like, amongst other cool bits.

And then there's...heh heh...there's this bit at the end.

Liz Armstrong, Vice Magazine, posted:

What’re you listening to these days?

Right now I’ve pretty much been listening to Linkin Park a lot.

He didn't stutter.

Liz Armstrong, Vice Magazine, posted:

To who?!

Linkin Park.

You’re kidding.

No. I’ve been listening to Minutes to Midnight, which I realize is not a new album, pretty much on repeat.

Ah man. It seems so different from the music you’ve had on your shows.

Yeah, it’s a little different but I’m a very big fan of metal. That stuff and Lilith Fair and you’ve got me in a nutshell.

I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that.

Not that I don't have my own unpopular mainstream loves (gently caress everybody, The Killers are awesome and almost every track on Sam's Town is genius), but still, :drat:

Yeah, trivial as all hell, but I figured this would be a fun little diversion for a couple of posts.

:siren: :siren: :siren: EDIT: OR we can forget that Joss has about as lovely a taste in pop music as I do and watch this new Dollhouse trailer FOX released.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 5, 2008

Psimitry
Jun 3, 2003

Hostile negotiations since 1978

DivisionPost posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: EDIT: OR we can forget that Joss has about as lovely a taste in pop music as I do and watch this new Dollhouse trailer FOX released.

In other music related news, I really dug the music in that trailer.

And as for having lovely taste in music, everyone is allowed to have some albums that they like but are lovely. Unfortunately it seems like on the internet, you're not :coal: unless you like the most obscure of indy bands or the opposite being nothing but metal/techno.

PsychoGoatee
Feb 23, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Show looks awesome. I do hope it has some of Whedon's trademark humor and quirkiness in there somewhere though.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Gordon Shumway posted:

I want to see "Restless" as it was planned.

I'm not sure I remember the original idea for 'Restless' off the top of my head. Refresh my memory?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

What a weird image:

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Spaceboy posted:

I'm not sure I remember the original idea for 'Restless' off the top of my head. Refresh my memory?

Well, rumors abound about what it may have been like:

"It was rumored this episode was to guest star many past recurring characters. Willow's classroom dream was to feature Larry Bagby III (Larry), Charisma Carpenter (Cordelia), and Elizabeth Anne Allen (Amy). Robia LaMorte (Jenny Calendar) was to be pushing the baby carriage instead of Olivia, followed by having Phina Oruche (Olivia) crying in Spike's crypt. Eliza Dushku (Faith) was going to appear in Buffy's bedroom telling her to "be back before Dawn," while David Boreanaz (Angel) was to have appeared in the desert as the voice of the First Slayer. Unfortunately Joss Whedon was only able to recruit Seth Green (Oz) and Mercedes McNab (Harmony) to return for this episode."

Probably not much truth to it at all, but I can just picture it in my head and it's so much better. The roles being filled by different characters would have said a lot more about Buffy and the others' characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stonefish
Nov 1, 2004

Chillin' like a villain

smackfu posted:

What a weird image:

What the gently caress is Odo doing here?

• Locked thread