Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

French Canadian posted:

Have you tried considering the country that the gear is made in? I've heard that stuff like RS Taichi comes a lot smaller because, well, Japanese people are usually smaller than Americans. And when I tried on a 38 Dainese jacket, it fit wonderfully (Italians are skinnier?), but a 38 made here in America I tried on was a bit bigger.

That makes sense. When I checked my kit when I got home the first time, I found it was all swedish. Jacket is Jofama and the trousers are Halvassons. All that fish and snow must make them crazy swedish a lot skinnier than you americans.

Only problem with buying the European stuff is the sizing. My jacket is a 52, and I don't know what 52 it is, it's not inches (I'm not that huge), it's not centimetres (that would be tiny), it's just Euro-crazy. Might be something similar to Euro shoe sizes, the scale doesn't actually mean anything, it's just a scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
I think jacket sizes are just 10 bigger than US sizing which is a measurement of your chest in inches. Pants on the other hand, I don't quite remember.

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
So I hear Scotchguard is like divine intervention for stopping the rain. Any truth to this? My pants love leaking on the inside seams, and after a 20 minute ride, my jeans get pretty soaked.

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Orange Someone posted:

That makes sense. When I checked my kit when I got home the first time, I found it was all swedish. Jacket is Jofama and the trousers are Halvassons. All that fish and snow must make them crazy swedish a lot skinnier than you americans.

Only problem with buying the European stuff is the sizing. My jacket is a 52, and I don't know what 52 it is, it's not inches (I'm not that huge), it's not centimetres (that would be tiny), it's just Euro-crazy. Might be something similar to Euro shoe sizes, the scale doesn't actually mean anything, it's just a scale.

I had the same problem as you. I'm not as tall and slim as you (only 5'10 and 165lbs) but I have a pretty small waist and broad shoulders so every jacket from US-based companies I tried on ending up fitting like a loving dress. I started checking out European-based companies and sure enough, they would fit perfectly. I ended up going with a MotoGP 1pc suit that while not fitting like a second skin like a custom tailored suit would, it fits a whole hell of a lot better than anything else I've tried

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 5, 2008

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Taisa posted:

So I hear Scotchguard is like divine intervention for stopping the rain. Any truth to this? My pants love leaking on the inside seams, and after a 20 minute ride, my jeans get pretty soaked.

Assuming it's not the zipper of your overpants leaking, yeah, Scotchgaurd will make a world of difference.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
With the weather getting cooler, I'm becoming painfully aware of the fact that my gear is not cold- (or even cool-) weather gear. I started browsing Aerostich, which is not good for my already thin wallet, and am curious to know if anybody here uses/has used their Darien or Roadcrafter stuff. The Darien jacket looks like it will work in a wider range of temperatures considering the optional liner, but I don't know what other differences I should be aware of between the two lines. I'll also take recommendations on other cold-weather oriented gear.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If you're really suffering with a thin wallet, the better investment for cold weather is a decent windbreaker to toss over perforated leather, and a heated vest and heated grips. Leggings if it gets really cold. If you keep your core warm, the cold isn't nearly as bad. Most heated vests will get hot enough to have you sweating no matter how cold it is out.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Olympia is also a good, cheaper option for cold weather riding gear. I'm back in my AST jacket and Ranger II pants for the season. They're great.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/home.html

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Seconding Rope Kid on Olympia. I have the one-piece version based on the AST, and it's pretty versatile. I'm in San Diego, so I've never been in really cold weather with it, but it has a thermal liner which I've never needed to touch. It's supposed to be waterproof as well. The only problem with Olympia gear is more limited sizing compared to Aerostich, so try before you buy if at all possible, especially if you're oddly proportioned.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

waptang posted:

With the weather getting cooler, I'm becoming painfully aware of the fact that my gear is not cold- (or even cool-) weather gear. I started browsing Aerostich, which is not good for my already thin wallet, and am curious to know if anybody here uses/has used their Darien or Roadcrafter stuff. The Darien jacket looks like it will work in a wider range of temperatures considering the optional liner, but I don't know what other differences I should be aware of between the two lines. I'll also take recommendations on other cold-weather oriented gear.

I use my Roadcrafter two piece suit for all my riding. The initial expense does hurt the wallet, but I figure it will last at least 10 years of riding. While I dropped almost $800 on a suit, I have one suit for all conditions. I've used it from 15 degree to 105 degrees. Changing what you wear under it allows it to work in all temperature ranges.

For cold weather I'll wear a synthetic long sleeve undershirt and a synthetic sweatshirt. Jeans or khakis for pants, sometimes combined with thermal underwear if it's below freezing.

I've no experience with the Darien gear but hear great things about it.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Since it's getting darker so much earlier now where i'm at, where can I pick up some Relecter tape for my Helmet/pants/jacket?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

shaitan posted:

Since it's getting darker so much earlier now where i'm at, where can I pick up some Relecter tape for my Helmet/pants/jacket?

http://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html is what I'd buy. Supposed to be as bright as possible, and can probably handle any weather thrown at it, considering it's intended use. Might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but that's the first result for "solas tape."

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

http://www.identi-tape.com/solas.html is what I'd buy. Supposed to be as bright as possible, and can probably handle any weather thrown at it, considering it's intended use. Might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but that's the first result for "solas tape."

Great thanks!

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

I think jacket sizes are just 10 bigger than US sizing which is a measurement of your chest in inches. Pants on the other hand, I don't quite remember.

This is true at least for stuff from Italy. Dainese jacket in 48 is actually a US 38.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
I have a Dainese leather jacket that I bought in 1999 for $600 that I might want to sell. I fell off a bike once and the front has some light scuff marks from it that are barely noticeable. Is this jacket worth trying to sell? I'd want to get a decent amount to put towards a similar $400-600 leather jacket. Do these things hold their value and what would be an good approximate price for it? My reason for wanting to sell it is to get a black jacket to match by black bike (this one is gray and red, shrug).

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Anyone have any experience with the HJC breath guard or something similar? I'd quite like a bit less visor fog.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've never used it in the field. To me it seems to eat up a lot of room. I wear a small HJC and it doesn't really leave me a lot of room around the mouth and nose to start with; putting the helmet on with the breath guard in was really uncomfortable and tight.

If I'm getting visor fog I'll just crack the drat visor from now on.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
I have an AC-11 and use the breath guard when its really cold. Works great, but makes me feel really claustrophobic for some reason.

Normally i just crack the visor on 1 side.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Gnaghi posted:

I have a Dainese leather jacket that I bought in 1999 for $600 that I might want to sell. I fell off a bike once and the front has some light scuff marks from it that are barely noticeable. Is this jacket worth trying to sell? I'd want to get a decent amount to put towards a similar $400-600 leather jacket. Do these things hold their value and what would be an good approximate price for it? My reason for wanting to sell it is to get a black jacket to match by black bike (this one is gray and red, shrug).

You could try to sell it. 200$ is what I'd ask and I'd work my way down from there. Depending on how bad the "light scuff marks" are, you may be able to ask a little more or a little less.

Used gear is really, really hit or miss, so be prepared to spend some time with it up for sale.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
anyone have any experience with Sparx helmets?

http://www.sparxhelmets.com/

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

echomadman posted:

quote:

ReelBigLizard posted:

I'm looking to buy a moto/enduro style helmet as a christmas present to myself. I am currently looking at the Arai Tour-X (OMG I'm Ewan McGregor) or a Shoei Hornet DS (they make a black and KTM-orange one to match my bike).

Anyone got any insight on these helmets, or suggestions for cheaper equivalents?

i have an airoh S4, http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/airoh-helmets/
its pretty nice, was very tight the first few days (i take a medium, but having worn it watching tv for a few hours it's bedded in nicely, no pressure points or sore spots after a long ride.

Its pretty noisy, but i cant imagine that style of helmet being quiet anyway.
you can change it into a normal street helmet too, looks pretty weird in my opinion and the visor removal system is a bit flimsy feeling, i started to convert it one day and stopped as i was worried I'd break it.

Ive got one of these as well. Not a bad helmet at all for the money, slightly odd fit, feels like it wants an upsidedown egg shaped head for the XL. Quite noisy, and the peak noticably catches the wind above 75-80. I havent got round to getting a dark visor, but the peak works really well for blocking the sun. Id get another one, or a posher version if I could afford it...

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Anyone have any experience with the HJC breath guard or something similar? I'd quite like a bit less visor fog.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Respro_Foggy_Mask--502324.html
mate of mine has one of these and its brilliant, visor closed even at traffic lights and the visor doesn't fog up

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*
I'm looking for a new helmet, preferably a system helmet. Anyone have experience with these helmets? I've got about 200 eu to spend. Currently have a HJC integral-helmet which is getting scruffy after two years of use.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

echomadman posted:

mate of mine has one of these and its brilliant, visor closed even at traffic lights and the visor doesn't fog up

My KBC came installed with something similar to this. I can sit around with the helmet on, visor closed, for however long I want and it does not fog at all.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

echomadman posted:

Is it meant to sit flush against your face? I have the one in my RF-1000 that came with it, but it doesn't touch my face unless I contort my neck around all weird.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

AncientTV posted:

My KBC came installed with something similar to this. I can sit around with the helmet on, visor closed, for however long I want and it does not fog at all.

My Caberg has one too but I just found it to be annoying. Didn't stop fogging all that well, but that could have something to do with my flat Asian face. :(

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
I'm tempted to pull the trigger on either of these as my birthday present to myself

Any reason to go for the more expensive (2nd link) ones? Both are still available in my size

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/6668/CITEM/Spidi-Teker-Leather-Pants-Closeouts.aspx

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/40/12910/CITEM/Spidi-Teker-Pro-Pants-Closeouts.aspx

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Second set has pucks, is a little nicer (lighter weight, different construction). You can always get pucks added later if you'd rather buy the cheaper stuff.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Second set has pucks, is a little nicer (lighter weight, different construction). You can always get pucks added later if you'd rather buy the cheaper stuff.

Seeing as I'm a long way away from needing kneepucks, I'll save myself the 65 bucks and get the cheaper ones. Thanks.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

My Caberg has one too but I just found it to be annoying. Didn't stop fogging all that well, but that could have something to do with my flat Asian face. :(

i have a caberg helmet too the breath deflectors are poo poo, the foggy mask actually sits on your face and makes a seal.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
What are some decent street boots? I'm looking at SIDI because they fit really well but walking around in boots up to my calf would be uncomfortable, not to mention silly looking.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EvilCrayon posted:

What are some decent street boots? I'm looking at SIDI because they fit really well but walking around in boots up to my calf would be uncomfortable, not to mention silly looking.

Stash them under your jeans. Usually you can slip your jeans over the boots and not look too absurd.

Beyond that, I love my daytonas for around town stuff because they're comfortable as hell, and are pretty stealth when it comes to motorcycle boots. Expensive, but very nice. I believe helimot is the only US dealer. https://www.helimot.com

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
wow helimot makes nice stuff, albeit expensive.

I'm just going to get some Sidi B-2 boots on closeout. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about them? I can't really find a review on it but it sure was comfy at the store

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

EvilCrayon posted:

I bought a pair of riding boots that I refer to as my "clownshoes." Red, white, black and silver. With many riding boots, height is the least of your fashion woes. I wear my clownshoes as a badge of honor :patriot:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Stash them under your jeans. Usually you can slip your jeans over the boots and not look too absurd.

Beyond that, I love my daytonas for around town stuff because they're comfortable as hell, and are pretty stealth when it comes to motorcycle boots. Expensive, but very nice. I believe helimot is the only US dealer. https://www.helimot.com

God drat, expensive is an understatement, especially the Security Evos. I think all my gear combined cost less than those things. What makes them able to justify that price?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

God drat, expensive is an understatement, especially the Security Evos. I think all my gear combined cost less than those things. What makes them able to justify that price?

Hand laid carbon fiber inner support boot. Completely replaceable outer boot and inner boot. Repairable, resoleable. I've got the Evo Sports, and they're nice, but I wish I had spent the 1k or better yet found a set of securities used.

It's basically for people who know they're going to trash their gear over and over, to the point that they'd burn multiple other pairs of boots, just like the rest of the helimot gear. It's not built to be pretty or particularly stylish, but it protects and will last forever. I can get a replacement set of liners for 200$, and have brand new boots. I just had them resoled, after I burned through the soles in a season of trackdays, and it was 100$. Also had them repaired because my shifter misses the shift pad.

It's not cheap stuff, but it's drat nice. I wasn't planning on buying them, but when I went there and walked around in them for awhile, I couldn't dream of wearing my A* boots again. Comfortable enough to walk around all day in too.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Joe Rocket Meteor Boots.

I can't seem to find anything better for the price (110-120 depending on where you look). Anyone have any experience with them or other Joe Rocket Boots? I can't seem to find too much out here or on advrider. Any other suggestions for a similar boot? I'd like it to be waterproof, somewhat conservative looking, and comfortable enough to be an everyday type boot, as when I go out on weekend trips on the bike I'd rather not bring another pair of shoes.

EDIT: Also forgot; looking for a good set of pants, Olympia Airflow, Olympia Ranger 2, and BMW Summer 2. I live in Texas so cold temperature pants need not apply most of the time. They're all around $190~, any one have a pair and what do you guys think? I'd use them again for half exploring the country side on the weekends, and half bopping around town.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 20, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

http://www.revzilla.com/product/tour-master-solution-waterproof-road-boot
http://www.revzilla.com/product/gaerne-movie-boot
http://www.revzilla.com/product/gaerne-panorama-boot
http://www.revzilla.com/product/agv-sport-cascade-waterproof-boots

I just posted a bunch of links in the new rider thread.

A few of those are a bit more, but I've learned it's better to spend a couple bucks more up front, because it's gear you'll use for quite awhile, and the intial higher investment can really pay off.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

blugu64 posted:

EDIT: Also forgot; looking for a good set of pants, Olympia Airflow, Olympia Ranger 2, and BMW Summer 2. I live in Texas so cold temperature pants need not apply most of the time. They're all around $190~, any one have a pair and what do you guys think? I'd use them again for half exploring the country side on the weekends, and half bopping around town.

The Ranger 2 pants are nice, but if you're not regularly seeing the low 60's and below, don't get them. They have no airflow and a stifling in the summer. On the other end of the spectrum, I've never needed to wear the liner with them as they are so nice and warm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Uthor posted:

The Ranger 2 pants are nice, but if you're not regularly seeing the low 60's and below, don't get them. They have no airflow and a stifling in the summer. On the other end of the spectrum, I've never needed to wear the liner with them as they are so nice and warm.

Heh, ya I'm just now starting to regularly see low 60's. Hell it's 75 out right now. I'll cross those out!

Z3N: I really liked these
http://www.revzilla.com/product/gaerne-movie-boot
If I can find them in my size from a place that isn't sold out we might have something here :)