Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Squid
Nov 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
If any of you are tired of WoW raids and want something else to do while you squander your lives in mom's basement, come hang out in #sfgoons on synirc.net!

Iron Squid fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 26, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

I encourage anyone interested in finding a place to live in the SF vicinity to contact me. I am looking for a low-cost place to rent (under 800 per) and am particularly interested to see if anyone else would like to lease a 3-4 bedroom house on Treasure Island. Rent runs as low as 2300 for some 4 bedrooms, which works out to 550-650 per. It's a 10 minute bus ride to the city (1st and howard). Currently on the waiting list for a place with a waterfront view, but if I can find anyone who wants to move in now, we could see what else is available. Something is always open.

In any case, I want to move close/into the city so if TI does not sound appealing but you find a place in need of a housemate, let me know. All I really need in a room is natural light.

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 27, 2008

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

What are good (rich) neighborhoods in SF to trick or treat in? All I can think of so far is telegraph hill, that one near the radio tower and Ishi's cave with the brick-paved street.

I'm thinking of rich neighborhoods rather than dense ones because they are more likely to give good candy and less likely to care about grown men trick-or-treating. I have not trick or treated since early high school but if people won't want to give candy I'll understand. Some kind of trick or riddle would be a great substitute but we'll just gently caress off if people tell us to.

JohnnyRed
Aug 19, 2004

by Ozma

Heran Bago posted:

What are good (rich) neighborhoods in SF to trick or treat in? All I can think of so far is telegraph hill, that one near the radio tower and Ishi's cave with the brick-paved street.

I'm thinking of rich neighborhoods rather than dense ones because they are more likely to give good candy and less likely to care about grown men trick-or-treating. I have not trick or treated since early high school but if people won't want to give candy I'll understand. Some kind of trick or riddle would be a great substitute but we'll just gently caress off if people tell us to.

so just to get this straight, you're a grown man asking which are the best rich places in SF to trick or treat without children

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Heran Bago posted:

Maybe you should find something else to do? There are lots of other events going on that night for adults to do.

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Heran Bago posted:

My favorite place to trick o treat is Power Exchange! :pervert:

Just kidding! And I hope you are too.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

No Castro Halloween party this year. There are parties going on, but I want free candy too. I could just do it on the way. :colbert:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Heran Bago posted:

No Castro Halloween party this year. There are parties going on, but I want free candy too. I could just do it on the way. :colbert:

The day after Halloween you can buy alto candy for pretty cheap. Besides as a grown up you can buy all the candy you want when you want, but you can only see chicks in skimpy zombie nurse costumes once a year.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

side_burned posted:

The day after Halloween you can buy alto candy for pretty cheap. Besides as a grown up you can buy all the candy you want when you want, but you can only see chicks in skimpy zombie nurse costumes once a year.

But it's just not the same if you buy it.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Being that I am in an enclosed apartment building, I am simply laying out a bowl of candy for the few households that have kids (always hear the scamps yelling and running up and down the hallways).

Wish I had a more trick-or-treat friendly setting, as handing out candy and seeing the spooky costumes are huge highlights for me. Oh well.

If you see a Crazy Cat Lady and a Bee Splicer stumbling between the Tenderloin and the Mission, that would be myself and Rack. Happy Halloween, everyone!

Baby_Hippo
Jun 29, 2007

A lot of people enjoy being dead.

Artsygrrl posted:

If you see a Crazy Cat Lady and a Bee Splicer stumbling between the Tenderloin and the Mission, that would be myself and Rack. Happy Halloween, everyone!

Please post a pic of the Crazy Cat Lady costume!

TrueClash
Dec 22, 2003
I put cocaine in a little girl's rubber ducky

Artsygrrl posted:

Being that I am in an enclosed apartment building, I am simply laying out a bowl of candy for the few households that have kids (always hear the scamps yelling and running up and down the hallways).

Wish I had a more trick-or-treat friendly setting, as handing out candy and seeing the spooky costumes are huge highlights for me. Oh well.

What the hell is a Bee Splicer?

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Is a Bee Splicer some character from Bioshock or something?

I'm still undecided about what to do Friday night. I just want to mill about and see some cool costumes and drink out of a paper bag in public (a uniquely American thing, it seems).

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

TrueClash posted:

What the hell is a Bee Splicer?

minato posted:

Is a Bee Splicer some character from Bioshock or something?

I'm still undecided about what to do Friday night. I just want to mill about and see some cool costumes and drink out of a paper bag in public (a uniquely American thing, it seems).

Bee Splicer is from Bioshock, and I won't be able to grab snapshots of the Cat Lady costume until Friday at best. I shall try, though!

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
I'm pretty attracted to living near the 16th St Bart or 24th St Bart but i'm concerned about the areas -- how safe are they?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
gently caress all the bridge & tunnel assholes who bring every cop in the city to the castro on halloween. gay pride parade had way more people getting way more hosed up, yet for SOME STRANGE REASON i didn't have to walk past literally 50+ cops in my 2-block walk home from the MUNI station. douchebags go home!

^^16th/24th st bart isn't an amazing neighborhood by any means but if you aren't a total retard you'll be fine.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

wettos posted:

I'm pretty attracted to living near the 16th St Bart or 24th St Bart but i'm concerned about the areas -- how safe are they?

Tunnel vision helps, sometimes. Over on my block we still get clusters of guys selling assorted junk and stumbling like zombies.

Personally I would rather get out of this neighborhood.

BreadLust
Feb 28, 2004

humped, dumped, born to suffer; made to undress in the wilderness

wettos posted:

By all recent accounts, the 16th St. area is safer than the 24th. I live around 16th and I'm drat happy here, but I'm also a dude and don't get messed with much. I'm also a deranged veteran and gunshots don't rattle me like they do most people, so I guess that matters.

side_burned posted:

you can only see chicks in skimpy zombie nurse costumes once a year.
Not true.

BreadLust
Feb 28, 2004

Artsygrrl posted:

Bee Splicer
So that's what he was.

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

BreadLust posted:

So that's what he was.

Wait, what were you last night? How the heck did I miss you?

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

BreadLust posted:

By all recent accounts, the 16th St. area is safer than the 24th. I live around 16th and I'm drat happy here, but I'm also a dude and don't get messed with much.
I've had a lot more dicey encounters between 16th and 17th street on Mission than I've ever had anywhere within four blocks of 24th street BART.

BreadLust
Feb 28, 2004

Artsygrrl posted:

Wait, what were you last night? How the heck did I miss you?
I was supposed to be a Funky-rear end Bassline, but it was one of those costumes that needed to be explained. I was only at Brick for about a minute before I took off... I don't think I saw you either.

Sivart13 posted:

I've had a lot more dicey encounters between 16th and 17th street on Mission than I've ever had anywhere within four blocks of 24th street BART.
Heh, the block between 16th and 17th is pretty drat sketchy, particularly the West side. So I walk on the other side of the street. But I was more referring to the recent rash of killings down around 24th/Treat.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

wettos posted:

http://www.crimereports.com/map?search=mission+district,+san+francisco,+ca

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wettos posted:

16th and Mission:

a little more busy, more bums, crackheads and drug dealers, probably more hipsters. It's the center of Sureno gang territory.

24th and Mission:

a little bit less busy, less bums, crackheads and drug dealers, but still plenty of gang members (this is the middle of Norteno territoy...the rivals of the Surenos).

The most dangerous part of the mission--in terms of people getting murdered and stuff--is farther east down 24th, between Capp and Harrison, and also down 26th, at the Bernal Dwellings projects, between Folsom, Harrison, Cesar Chavez and 26th. 16th and Mission, and surroundings isn't too far behind though.

I'd say 16th and mission is where your more likely to be screwed with though, seeing as there are more crazy people and crack heads and such (like others have said, Mission between 16th and 17th, on the west side, tends to be the sketchiest single block). If you dress like a gangbanger though (or deal drugs), almost anywhere in the Mission is fair game for you getting hosed with, and possibly sprayed with bullets.

Otherwise, i wouldn't worry too much. Sure, it's a sketchy neighborhood overall, but if you have any street smarts you'll probably be fine.

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
Lame. I really wanted to take BART to Millbrae to Caltrain but it looks like I'll be sacrificing peace of mind especially at night.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wettos posted:

Lame. I really wanted to take BART to Millbrae to Caltrain but it looks like I'll be sacrificing peace of mind especially at night.

Wait what exactly are you trying to do? Get to caltrain from BART in the Mission? I'm getting confused now (you could also take caltain from SF, rather than transferring from BART in Millbrae...but you shouldn't be scared away from the mission street BART stations, unless you plan on hanging out in front of them all night long).

The Mission overall does have lots of crime, but I say go check it out yourself before you write it off. There are definitely parts that are really nice and very safe, and you never know if you might feel comfortable somewhere or not...even in "dangerous" neighborhoods, it can really depend on one's personal preferences and what they're comfortable with. The mission has tons of great things going for it as well as the crime problem it has.

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
Yeah I'll check it out. I know there's Caltrain stops in the city but I really don't want to live in SOMA/Potrero or take buses.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

You should really be fine doing BART to caltrian then...the 24th street station isn't all that sketchy, unless, like I said, you hang out in front of it in the middle of the night. Same goes for 16th street, which is also a little bit more busy and dirty/sketchy.

BreadLust
Feb 28, 2004

wettos posted:

Yeah I'll check it out. I know there's Caltrain stops in the city but I really don't want to live in SOMA/Potrero or take buses.
It would be easier to give advice on the feasibility of what you want to do if we had details. Also, Potrero's a pretty drat nice neighborhood, you might consider it if you want to be close to the Mission without having to keep it real. At any rate, if you're squeamish about riding buses in the city then you probably wouldn't enjoy living in the Mission, frankly.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

^Potrero Hill is a very nice neighborhood in parts...but don't forget the southern part can be pretty sketchy because of the housing projects. The rest is pretty much yuppy land. Also, the eastern part is pretty safe, but kinda gritty. It borders Dogpatch/Third street, which is kinda dead, and has tons of old industrial stuff, and abandoned docks and stuff like that. The Third street light rail just got put in though, and Mission Bay is getting built, so that area will probably get pretty nice eventually. Also, if anyone is squeamish about riding the bus in SF, Potrero Hill is yet another not so great place for them (maybe they should forget riding the bus at all in SF). All the buses that serve it can be pretty shady when they hit that part of town (the 48, 19, 53, 33, 22 and the T train). The nice parts of Potrero hill are sort of an island in the middle of a lot of grit. If someone is scared of the Mission it might not be their thing.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
For those of you who bought an Academy of Sciences membership, how long did it take to receive your member info? I ordered a month and a half ago, and I got the email confirmation but still haven't received a member card or anything.

digital-entropy
Apr 21, 2002

Papercut posted:

For those of you who bought an Academy of Sciences membership, how long did it take to receive your member info? I ordered a month and a half ago, and I got the email confirmation but still haven't received a member card or anything.

Ditto, and I ordered on 8/20. I'm toying with asking for a refund, as during the member "preview" the planetarium, rainforest, and one entire wing on the ground floor were closed. Furthermore, the only member events they held in October and November are very expensive -- like a $500 a ticket family halloween party.

The Grand Judabuddha
Jan 21, 2001

wettos posted:

I live on nob hill within walking distance of the powell bart station and I consider my neighborhood to be safe enough, so it is possible. One tip is to look on higher elevations; sketchy people don't like climbing hills.

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
I'm not squeamish about people on buses per se -- they're just slow and unreliable in my experience. Taking one to the 4th St Caltrain will take a while from Noe/Mission and taking one to BART to Caltrain just seems like a hell of a commute each morning.

Anyway, I need to get from SF to Mountain View every day. I don't mind driving too much because I can get into work at any time I please but I'd rather kick back and read a book or do some work on BART and/or Caltrain.

wettos
Mar 29, 2008
Also, any suggestions on putting together a rental packet? Everyone seems to think they're absolutely necessary to getting a good place. What do I put in besides a copy of my credit report and pay stubs? Bank account statement? Cover letter?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Credit report, a paycheck stub or two, and maybe 2 or 3 letters of reference - a couple from your past two landlords and maybe one from your boss saying you're currently employed or something. If you're looking to move in as a roommate you'd probably want a cover letter, but otherwise screw it. Oh, and gently caress bank statements - that's none of the landlord's goddamn business.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

wettos posted:

I'm not squeamish about people on buses per se -- they're just slow and unreliable in my experience. Taking one to the 4th St Caltrain will take a while from Noe/Mission and taking one to BART to Caltrain just seems like a hell of a commute each morning.

Anyway, I need to get from SF to Mountain View every day. I don't mind driving too much because I can get into work at any time I please but I'd rather kick back and read a book or do some work on BART and/or Caltrain.

It would be easy to get to Caltrain from the Mission or Noe Valley. Just take the 48 to the 22nd street station. I'd say it only takes 10 to 20 minutes to ride the 48 there from 24th and Mission, maybe a little more sometimes, depending on traffic (but most passengers on the 48 in the morning get off at 24th and Mission to take BART, so after that it's pretty smooth sailing to 22nd street). No luck if you wanna get an express train though, because they skip that stop...the BART to caltrain thing seems like just as good an idea pretty much. it's true it's kinda annoying to have to switch buses/trains, but it's pretty unavoidable unless you live right by a caltrain station, and it beats driving everyday, in my opinion.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Bike to the Caltrain. It takes me 20 minutes to get to Caltrain by bike from where I live; it's 45 minutes minimum if I take Muni. Plus it's a good way to stay fit and it's free.

But if you take a bike on Caltrain at 22nd St, you run the risk of the bike racks being full in rush hour and having to wait for the next train. If you get on at 4th and King (not that much further by bike) you're almost guaranteed a spot.

k0konutz
Dec 27, 2006

Just be yourself, as long as that means you're a successful person.

Papercut posted:

I don't know if you've gone already, but you'll be in the database and can get a temporary membership card (have your ID ready) so you can go while you're waiting for your card.I haven't received mine yet either.
In front of the entrance outside, there's a little stand with a couple of computers that people can look up your name/purchase new memberships, etc. If you can't find it, just ask the person who is checking the door at the members-only line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I doubt the traffic will be as high as in the main A/T forum, and if this is too broad, I would happily create a thread. Anyway...

I am looking for urbex spots in the San Francisco/Bay Area. Especially sites in Marin County. There is one spot in particular I am looking for. Having never been there I can not give much information, unfortunately. It is an old abandoned school somewhere in Marin. That's all I've got. This is both for me and for the friend who is dying to find it again.

Also, she is interested in cemeteries. I know of a great one in Lafayette, you actually drive by it on the 24 East. Thanks for any help.

Edit: the school may be the MacPhail school in Santa Venetia. I don't know where it would be, but I found an article that referenced this.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 8, 2008

• Locked thread