Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

TurboLuvah posted:

Echoing this question. I really want a set of good mudflaps, but $130 for a set is kind of steep.

A pair of Sparco mudflaps is $20 from SubeSports, they are universal fitment and are actual mudflaps rather than stock Subaru ones which keep grime off the body and nothing else. Rally Armor ones are nice, but the price is a bit steep if you want to just have basic working mudflaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Who the gently caress gets something called Rally Armour mudflaps? Right there, you know they wont work.

Okay here's one from left field - does anyone have a wiring diagram for a DCCD?

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Cat Terrist posted:

Who the gently caress gets something called Rally Armour mudflaps? Right there, you know they wont work.

Okay here's one from left field - does anyone have a wiring diagram for a DCCD?

Scroll down to wiring. But I wouldn't know if they are all the same.

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/index.htm

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

littlehulkster posted:

I already have some stock 03 WRX wheels on it, which I managed to pick up for free. I'll look at some new ones though if I don't like how it handles with the suspension bits. I'm trying to keep this as low budget as possible because an OBS really isn't worth putting much into. I was thinking of salvaging the swaybar from a WRX or 2.5RS.

As for the tires, I need to drive this thing in the winter, so I can't go too crazy.

Oh, it's a 99 OBS by the way.
Well, if you're running all-seasons, that's going to be a pretty significant hangup, handling-wise. To make matters worse, the more cold-weather oriented they are, the smaller the treadblocks, and the more flexible the compound, both of which help the tire a little more wooly.

Generally speaking, better tires is one of the first things you can do to increase handling.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Baby Hitler posted:

A pair of Sparco mudflaps is $20 from SubeSports, they are universal fitment and are actual mudflaps rather than stock Subaru ones which keep grime off the body and nothing else. Rally Armor ones are nice, but the price is a bit steep if you want to just have basic working mudflaps.

I want a set, but only red white or blue? Gahh, why can't they just make a regular black mudflap.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

burtonos posted:

Scroll down to wiring. But I wouldn't know if they are all the same.

http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/STi_Manual/index.htm

It'll do. Gives me some knowledge before pulling the trigger on something.

BigShroom
May 30, 2002
Greetings to you Subaru goons from a possible future owner. I'm looking for an 05-06 Legacy GT and would like to get input on this one for sale on craigslist. Mainly the engine and suspension stuff, I'm fairly certain I know what AI thinks of aftermarket HID kits.

I should probably just keep looking for an unmolested GT but if these upgrades are smart maybe I could save some money in the long run. I planned on doing some light mods to the car anyway.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Please don't pay $18k for that. I paid about that for a 35k mi LGT manual wagon a year ago. And I only overpaid due to perfect service records and 1 owner.
Modded cars aren't really worth much more than unmoidded cars.
He has a CAI, does he have tuning for that? hell, why does he need that? No "stage 2" car will benefit from that.
The suspension is crap. New springs and no new shocks? There's much more wrong with the damping on this car than springs. And lowering an LGT too much isn't so great for handling.
No mention of re-enforced sway bar brackets?
Gutted pipes instead of proper jobs AND he still has orginal catted ones too?
6000k HIDs?
This car just feels half-assed.

Oh and a 35k 05 LGT sedan was going for ~$14k at auction this summer. The bottom has fallen out of the used market today.
You could build a better car than that with some bilstiens, sways, new pipes and an access port. Total spent if you buy most of that used? $1000-2000.

Fleshreaper
Sep 22, 2008
I bought a base model '08 Impreza a few months ago, today it finally snowed and I can't wait to get out and see how it drives.

Mr. Powers posted:

Anyone know how the base Rally Armor mudflaps differ from the UR RA mudflaps in terms of performance?

I have a friend with a pair of the base Rally Armor mudflaps, they seem to function just the same for city driving, they just don't look as glossy. I have heard of them slightly bending backwards, but have never noticed it on his Subaru.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

BigShroom posted:

Greetings to you Subaru goons from a possible future owner. I'm looking for an 05-06 Legacy GT and would like to get input on this one for sale on craigslist. Mainly the engine and suspension stuff, I'm fairly certain I know what AI thinks of aftermarket HID kits.

I should probably just keep looking for an unmolested GT but if these upgrades are smart maybe I could save some money in the long run. I planned on doing some light mods to the car anyway.

Like nm said, car might have been worth $18k a few years ago, but it's more like $15k or less now.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

BigShroom posted:

Funny, I know the guy that used to own that car. He traded it to the current owner for an STi. I don't think it's as "half-assed" as nm says it is, but he's right about the price being too high.

BigShroom
May 30, 2002
Appreciate the input guys, thats exactly the kind of break down I was looking for nm. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a one owner LGT thats been kept stock.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BigShroom posted:

Appreciate the input guys, thats exactly the kind of break down I was looking for nm. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a one owner LGT thats been kept stock.
Honestly, be ready to travel.
A $300 plane ticket is so worth getting the right car. I bought mine in Utah. Utah, Colorado, and new England seem to get all the LGTs.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Can someone help me out with my shopping list for an upcoming timing belt replacement? Its a 2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 NA.

So far I'm looking to get:

- Timing Belt
- Tensioner
- Water Pump and Gasket

Colawa
Oct 14, 2006

He came dancing across the water
non forum member friend of mine is wondering where he'd find roof racks for snowboards/surfboards etc for his 96 outback

we're in vancouver if anyone local knows a place, but websites are just as helpful

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

dphi posted:

Funny, I know the guy that used to own that car. He traded it to the current owner for an STi. I don't think it's as "half-assed" as nm says it is, but he's right about the price being too high.

I agree with others that it's mostly likely a pass, though since I'm also from the Seattle area, I understand the difficulty you're probably having finding one in decent condition. It took me a few months to find mine and I had to go to Eugene to get it (though it was a perfect 06 with 16k on it).

That guys mods leave me feeling lukewarm... Tein coilovers? Bleh. He clearly is a big fan of Perrin too.

I don't know... it's worth driving to see if you like it and if he is willing to move on price. I can't imagine cars, especially modded cars, are easy to sell right now.

I don't know if you like red or wagons, but here is an elusive 05 manual wagon that looks pretty badass (and needs to be lower for the mileage): http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/908192245.html

Here is a white spoilerless sedan with a little bit better of a price and an ugly mirror tint: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/900521739.html

One thing I learned shopping for these cars is look at the drivers seat bolster... they seem to wear if not taken car of and I passed on three or four LGTs with 30-40k because of this.

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008
I have a 04MY Impreza WRX 5-Speed that just hit 56,000 miles. As far as I know the PO just did the oil changes. Is there anything that I should be setting aside money for in the forseeable future as far as replacing parts should go?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

BannedForLulz posted:

I have a 04MY Impreza WRX 5-Speed that just hit 56,000 miles. As far as I know the PO just did the oil changes. Is there anything that I should be setting aside money for in the forseeable future as far as replacing parts should go?

Plugs at around 60k, change the tranny and diff fluids at that point. Check your wheel bearings and your serp/drive belts and tensioners.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/910780157.html

6 month winter car candidate - the tranny thing sounds sketchy, but assuming it test drives without horrible, horrible sounds would it be something to worry about? KBB fair condition is $2000, hopefully I'd be able to knock a little more off the price with an upfront cash offer if the car seems ok. Yes/no?

Colawa: Here's an easy REI site, dunno if you have 'em up in Canada. If he has a factory rack you can probably fit whatever racks you pick up on it without a problem - I got some Yakima Big Powerderhound racks for like 170ish with the lock cores, and the box incudes mounts for them that worked fine on my '98 Outback.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I can't say I know much about the auto trannies in the Legacys, but the manuals seem to handle that kind of mileage fine.

I suppose worst case scenario where it blows up you could always swap in a manual :)

But yeah, other than the transmission issue, it looks pretty darn clean for the price.

ub818
Feb 19, 2003
Yuv goat tae huv a go!
Finally posting that I picked up an 08 WRX at the end of October.

I have a question about the Tire Pressure Monitoring system - say that I want to get a set of wheels for snow tires. And I pick up part # 28103AG01A for each wheel. That means I gotta hit up my dealership to put the new IDs into the ecu for the TPMS right? Unless there's some mysterious tool that everyone says "there should be an aftermarket soon" Is there one available? From what I'm reading, the offset from 2002 hasn't changed so I can pick up a used set of wheels on the cheap - mount snow tires and the TPMS valves and be good right?

So far I love the car and I'm looking to get an Access Port for it soon.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ub818 posted:

Finally posting that I picked up an 08 WRX at the end of October.

I have a question about the Tire Pressure Monitoring system - say that I want to get a set of wheels for snow tires. And I pick up part # 28103AG01A for each wheel. That means I gotta hit up my dealership to put the new IDs into the ecu for the TPMS right? Unless there's some mysterious tool that everyone says "there should be an aftermarket soon" Is there one available? From what I'm reading, the offset from 2002 hasn't changed so I can pick up a used set of wheels on the cheap - mount snow tires and the TPMS valves and be good right?

So far I love the car and I'm looking to get an Access Port for it soon.

My plan when my 09 gets here is just to not use the TPMS in the winter. The dealership charges $45 to mate the sensors, so it is a lot easier for me to just keep track of what wheel was where and put them back.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Mr. Powers posted:

My plan when my 09 gets here is just to not use the TPMS in the winter. The dealership charges $45 to mate the sensors, so it is a lot easier for me to just keep track of what wheel was where and put them back.

This. I even bought the sensors, but when I went to get my snows mounted to a set of 05 GT rims I picked up, the tech forgot and left the original valve stems in (not like they charged me for it anyways), and it was a friend of a friend doing it after hours so I just run without it. Of course the wheels I just picked up for summer use (06-07 WRX rims) don't fit the TPMS, so now have NO wheels with TPMS... Oops? I'll probably get rid of the GT rims and pick up some 18's next summer or something and put them into that for inspection purposes. drat new fangled federal requirements.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I need to pick up a new battery for my '99 2.5rs. Any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy. I'm leaning to the Duralast Gold.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004
I'm looking at picking up a used STi to replace my poor old 95 Talon TSi AWD within the next few months. At this point I'm tired of the cost of maintaining an old, heavily modified, daily-driven Ohio car and want something similar. Namely AWD/turbo as it's a blast in winter and bad weather, but would like something newer and a bit more refined. I've known quite a few people with STis and have always considered getting one when the Talon was getting too expensive to keep running.

I'm looking to spend around $23000 or so, which seems to be about where a well-maintained 05-06 STi ends up landing, does that seem accurate? From reading this thread, it seems that the 06 is the one to buy, with a lot of improvements coming in 06 over the 05, and as I understand, the 07 model didn't change much except for the wheelbase and some longer gears.

What enthusiast communities are actually worth reading? So far I'm registered on scoobymods, nasioc (full of retards?), and iwsti. How easy/expensive is it to get replacement parts for when I'll need to do some maintenance, relative to a DSM? Similarly, how easy are they to work on? Outside of alignment, I do all of the work on my cars. There seems to be a pretty healthy bit of aftermarket support for these cars for when I'll want to do some "tinkering". Are there any big pitfalls I need to know before looking?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Scoobymods and here are the best I have seen.

littlehulkster
Oct 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

c355n4 posted:

I need to pick up a new battery for my '99 2.5rs. Any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy. I'm leaning to the Duralast Gold.

Just go to your local parts store and get whatever they've got. There's really no reason to go fancy with a battery, if it starts your car, it's good enough.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Despite what most people will say, NASIOC has tons of information on it. I've found Scoobymods to be great for just what the website is named: if you want to figure out how to do some mod, they've probably got a thread with a guide on it. NASIOC just has so much information on anything you could need to know, and more often than not, there is a local group of non-retards. In the NESIC area, there are a lot of idiots who think a great meet up is going to BK and driving a congested road into Boston, but there's also the group of good people who are great to hang around with and also very knowledgeable.

Basically, you just need to stick with the people who have been there for a long time. If they registered back around 2002, it's a safe bet that they aren't some retard that wants advice on what blowoff valve to get.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

greasy digits posted:

Similarly, how easy are they to work on? Outside of alignment, I do all of the work on my cars. There seems to be a pretty healthy bit of aftermarket support for these cars for when I'll want to do some "tinkering". Are there any big pitfalls I need to know before looking?

They're quite straightforward to turn a wrench on. I haven't seen anything on any of the Subaru's I've worked on that seemed out of place or unintuitive to any great degree. I was somewhat leery of getting under the hood of a boxer engine layout at first, but it's really not that bad.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
My Forester ('04 XT) decided this weekend that it wanted to fire up the check engine light on me. I got out my OBDII reader and it threw a code "1097", which according to the internet means:

code:
Tumble generator valve circuit #2 (over current)
It has happened in the past and the last time it happened (about 6 months ago). I cleared the code and all seemed good. Everything I can find says that this is mostly for emissions. Hell the first link on Google is instructions on how to remove the TGV. Am I doing something totally wrong by just clearing the code and going on my merry way or should I actually try to do something about it?

Also, gently caress you check engine light for disabling the cruise control when on! :argh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

If you ever wanted an STi, now is the time to buy. People in New England are getting 2008 STis equipped with the BBS wheels for $29,000. It is making it really hard for me to just shitcan my 2009 WRX order and jump on an STi instead, and while it is only a few thousand more at this point, in terms of what I'd be financing, it would be a 20% increase in cost.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on the issue I'm having with my newly purchased 01 LGT limited. I live in Minnesota, and it is starting to get colder out. I've had it happen a few times in the summer that when I first started the car, for a minute or so the idle would be high, and when I would put the clutch in to shift from 1-2 or 2-3 the revs wouldn't drop. What I found worked best when this happened was to clutch down - shift to neutral - clutch up - Clutch down - Shift to gear. This would make the revs behave. After about 3-5 minutes of driving the revs would start to drop at the proper points and I wouldn't need to continue this procedure. Now that things are getting cooler I've noticed that this is happening every morning when I first head to work, and when I leave the office at the end of the day. Does anyone know what could cause this?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I believe the high idle is related to the engine being cold, and the idle comes down to normal as the engine gets up to temperature.

As to why it happens in the summer, I have no idea.

DSeeGull
Mar 21, 2007
Tapping the Void
I've got an 03 bugeye which i purchased in June but haven't been able to drive until recently due to an accident that occurred shortly after I purchased which left my clutch leg incapacitated. So now that I am finally driving it again I am looking to do the fairly typical upgrades. I was given a tanabe cat back and a cobb intake. I would like to finish off upgrading my subie's breathing capabilities with down/up pipes and then an accessport. If I purchase a catless up-pipe is my car going to fail emissions? Is a lightweight crank and pulley kit worth the investment as well?

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

DSeeGull posted:

If I purchase a catless up-pipe is my car going to fail emissions?

A WRX with a catless up-pipe and down-pipe passing emissions? Probably not. I've read a few guys on NASIOC passing emissions with just a gutted UP, but probably not both. I think you'd be better off with a bigger turbo or an STI intercooler than a pulley kit.

DSeeGull
Mar 21, 2007
Tapping the Void

grzydj posted:

I've read a few guys on NASIOC passing emissions with just a gutted UP, but probably not both.

well than in that regards do you think gutting the up would be equivalent to replacing it

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Looking at an 01 Forester this weekend, it has 147k on it and the guy just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket after said gasket blew. It's a manual - should I worry about the condition of the clutch as well? How well do most manual clutches stand up in Subaru models?

DSeeGull
Mar 21, 2007
Tapping the Void
Compenents of the clutch can and will go for a myriad of reasons at any time. I highly doubt that everything is still original after 147k on it, but that being said you should drive it and get a feel for it and use your best judgement. Find out what has been done and when and hope that it can be documented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

Looking at an 01 Forester this weekend, it has 147k on it and the guy just replaced the timing belt, water pump, and head gasket after said gasket blew. It's a manual - should I worry about the condition of the clutch as well? How well do most manual clutches stand up in Subaru models?

Not to be a creeper, but if you're anywhere near MA I have a very nice 5MT 99 Forester S for sale.