Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take my life... please!
May 31, 2006

We make everything you need and you need everything we make.

Moeru posted:

There was this FPS game I played back in the early 90's. All I remember is it was sort of like Farcry kind of setting. I believe it was called "Island of Dr. ?????" I don't remember the last part. Suggestions?

I looked through my library, theses are all the similar titles I have. Anything ring another bell?

Island of Dr. Brain
Castle of Dr. Brain
The Fortress of Dr Radiaki
In Search of Doctor Riptide
Secret Castle of Dr Malvado
BioMenace Dr. Mangles Lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Saint Septimus posted:

That's Ducktales, moon level specifically. I admit that it did make me think it was one of the space-themed Megaman levels though.

Awesome. That song is one of the best songs I've heard come from a game - it's right up there with "Mighty Mighty Man" from Fallout 3 and the intro to Megaman 3.

---

Here's another one, and I play it pretty regularly, but I don't know the name of it. I see it in Japanese arcades pretty often. It's a first person on-rails shooter, but instead of shooting, you have these things you punch with. I don't know, it's pretty wacky. There was a "gang" level where you infiltrate an all-black gang in LA or something, and then there's a japanese level with ninjas that you punch in the face.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey actually since we're talking about old Apple games...

When I was six or seven, I played this strange illustrated text adventure game, a lot like Dragon's Keep, except maybe for "bigger kids." I can't remember very much about it, but this is what I can remember:

1) There were three statues. With its small color palette, it had a blue statue, a green statue, and a red statue.
2) You were supposed to choose the red statue (at least, that's what you were supposed to choose it the one time I played it, maybe it varied?)
3) I chose the wrong statue very early on just to see what would happen, and lo and behold once I got to the final illustration, I got a "bad ending." Not that I can remember much about it.
4) About halfway through, I had to eject the disk and flip it over to play the rest of the game (BIG HELP HUH).
5) I remember... really weird names? This is probably Wild ARMs 3 talking, but I could've sworn at least one character had a long, awkward-sounding name like "Inkapilia." For some reason, I recall my "bad ending" message being that my character turned into it, or something?

Anyway.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~
i'm looking for the names of two games, i am pretty sure they were both on the master system but one or both may have been on the mega drive (genesis)

The first involved a little running man, it was a side scroller shoot em up but the screen scrolled for you, the character could jump and had a gun which he could upgrade. When i first got the game I remember not being able to get past the very first level because their was a wall that you had to shoot open and jump through before you got stuck by the movement of the screen and die. The after a couple of years i played the game again and got past it then loved the game.

The second game is also a side scrolling shmup but you play as a green and red ship with angel wings, it's a cutesy character and level design, you can get upgrades for your ship like bigger wings and better guns by killing things, the bosses were great, their was a level which was in darkness except a circle around your ship so you couldn;t see what was coming.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

little white dog posted:

The second game is also a side scrolling shmup but you play as a green and red ship with angel wings, it's a cutesy character and level design, you can get upgrades for your ship like bigger wings and better guns by killing things, the bosses were great, their was a level which was in darkness except a circle around your ship so you couldn;t see what was coming.

Fantasy Zone, hell yeah.

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I forgot the name of a game that isn't even out yet. It's this cartoonish looking game currently being developed by the DOTA guys, sharing DOTA's gameplay. I know one of the characters is a little girl obsessed with fire or something of the sort.

Anyone know the name?

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

little white dog posted:

i'm looking for the names of two games, i am pretty sure they were both on the master system but one or both may have been on the mega drive (genesis)

The first involved a little running man, it was a side scroller shoot em up but the screen scrolled for you, the character could jump and had a gun which he could upgrade. When i first got the game I remember not being able to get past the very first level because their was a wall that you had to shoot open and jump through before you got stuck by the movement of the screen and die. The after a couple of years i played the game again and got past it then loved the game.

The first one could be Chelnov, Atomic Runner.

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
I've only met one other person who has played this game, and he has no idea what it was called either.

Okay, so it was a side scrolling fighting game, similar to streets of rage. You went around and beat up bad guys, ate whole turkeys to get health back, and picked up bats that only worked for three swings. It was otherwise a pretty standard beat em up, but the great twist was that once you beat the end boss of each level you had the option to become the boss, and the story explanation was something about you absorbing their soul, or stealing their spirit or something like that. The bosses were pretty awesome, but you could still very much lose. The first boss was a big rear end samurai in their traditional armor if I remember correctly, and I think only one player could actually take the soul, so the second player would have to wait until the third stage to get a cool character.

I played it on an arcade machine, and I think I remember it had the Neo Geo splash screen during those idle movies that arcade games play when not in use. The word Samurai is tied to my memory of the game, but I'm not sure if it was in the title or if it was just that the first boss was one. If any of you guys remember the name of this game, I'd love you forever and let you become me if you kill me at the end of a level.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Joudas posted:

I've only met one other person who has played this game, and he has no idea what it was called either.

Okay, so it was a side scrolling fighting game, similar to streets of rage. You went around and beat up bad guys, ate whole turkeys to get health back, and picked up bats that only worked for three swings. It was otherwise a pretty standard beat em up, but the great twist was that once you beat the end boss of each level you had the option to become the boss, and the story explanation was something about you absorbing their soul, or stealing their spirit or something like that. The bosses were pretty awesome, but you could still very much lose. The first boss was a big rear end samurai in their traditional armor if I remember correctly, and I think only one player could actually take the soul, so the second player would have to wait until the third stage to get a cool character.

I played it on an arcade machine, and I think I remember it had the Neo Geo splash screen during those idle movies that arcade games play when not in use. The word Samurai is tied to my memory of the game, but I'm not sure if it was in the title or if it was just that the first boss was one. If any of you guys remember the name of this game, I'd love you forever and let you become me if you kill me at the end of a level.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sengoku/sengoku.htm

It's one of the Sengoku games, probably the first. It's recently been rereleased in the SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1 compilation for PS2, PSP, and Wii, although apparently only the Wii version doesn't run like poo poo.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 7, 2008

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...
Thanks man! I can finally lay that mystery to rest. The American Neo Geo Cover is loving hilarious, pure 90's.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Looking for a SNES game one of my friends had when I was like 10. Looked like Link to the Past, sort of, in that it was a top down adventure game, only it had, I think, an overworld map. Definitely isn't Secret of Mana or anything like that, you only had one character. I only remember seeing one part, where the character walks into a cave, the inside is blue/gray and has like four pillars/statues near the top of the screen.

I remember seeing it on the forums before and it being mentioned that it had an NES prequel, but can't remember what either game is.

Pennant
Aug 24, 2007

~~~~~ everybody move your feet and feel united oooh ooh ooh ~~~~~

Mr_Person posted:

Fantasy Zone, hell yeah.

ponzicar posted:

The first one could be Chelnov, Atomic Runner.

Yes and yes, awesome guys thanks, these games own

jeanclaudtransam
Jul 31, 2008
This was an old PC game from around the early 90's. It was RPG/adventure fantasy game with very basic realtime 3d graphics.

The key feature of the game that your character could change his shape between 8 or 9 varied creatures with different abilities depending on the situation. The only creatures I remember now are the usual human form, a hulking 8 foot tall fighting creature, and a small winged creature with magic. There was an in depth manual that had the heights and descriptions of each creature. It sticks out in my mind because I remember transforming into the winged creature and flying over lava obstacles and above enemies to protect myself.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

jeanclaudtransam posted:

This was an old PC game from around the early 90's. It was RPG/adventure fantasy game with very basic realtime 3d graphics...

I'd lay odds that this is Shadowcaster.

jeanclaudtransam
Jul 31, 2008

Bieeardo posted:

I'd lay odds that this is Shadowcaster.

Yes! Thanks that totally made my day

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Plank Walker posted:

Looking for a SNES game one of my friends had when I was like 10. Looked like Link to the Past, sort of, in that it was a top down adventure game, only it had, I think, an overworld map. Definitely isn't Secret of Mana or anything like that, you only had one character. I only remember seeing one part, where the character walks into a cave, the inside is blue/gray and has like four pillars/statues near the top of the screen.

I remember seeing it on the forums before and it being mentioned that it had an NES prequel, but can't remember what either game is.

95% sure you're talking about Equinox, and it's the sequel to the NES game Solstice.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

95% sure you're talking about Equinox, and it's the sequel to the NES game Solstice.

Thanks, but I'm positive this isn't it. This game had a smaller main character sprite and the same un-diagonal viewpoint that Zelda has.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Plank Walker posted:

Is it Illusion of Gaia?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it Illusion of Gaia?

Not Illusion of Gaia, I was just about to edit my post to mention that. I did some googling and found IoG and that definitely wasn't it. It might be Soul Blazer, so mystery maybe solved.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
There was an old shareware flight sim I got with a joystick ages ago, probably around 1995 or so. It was published or developed by OCEAN, and in the shareware version you could fly either a standard black jet, with more traditional rear-swept wings, or a white jet with forward swept wings. You could fly around in lots of different views, not just in the cockpit. You could set the camera to any position around the plane, and fly like that. 3D graphics, pretty prehistoric looking if I remember correctly. You could choose your airbase of deployment. I could never land successfully. Any ideas?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Fairly lame request, but for some reason I was reminded of this today. Back in the early 90s, I remember playing these edutainment games a lot at a friend's house, and I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, though for some reason I want to call them Wordquest and Mathquest, though I get no results.

Basically they were 2D platformers (both the same game with either maths puzzles or some kind of word thing) where you killed enemies by covering them in purple paint or something. There was a castle level of some sort, and perhaps oddly, a pueblo one. I think there might have been a choice between gender of character, and one of them was possibly a blond boy in a green top.

Given my vague, vague recollection of these games, that's about as much as I can remember of it, so it's a fairly obscure request...

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm thinking of an old, educational game where your health was represented by bubbles below the game screen. I wish I could get more specific.

Virtuality
Mar 21, 2008

by T. Finn
I remember a game that I played when I was young for DOS, top down 2d game where you controlled a sprite dinosaur that you could customize, you had to go around collecting blue squares that were DNA blueprints that held the genetic code for a super dinosaur.

You had to kill/eat other dinosaurs and drink water to stay alive.

I'm almost certain this was an actual game but I've never been able to find it since.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

The White Dragon posted:

When I was six or seven,

Plank Walker posted:

Looking for a SNES game one of my friends had when I was like 10.

As a tip, it would help more if you told us what year this was, rather than your age at the time.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

I only played a demo of this game, and I think it was around the time the PC Gamer demo discs started doing the interactive stuff with the underground office and the Coconut Monkey storyline.

It was some kind of adventure game. I think it took place after some kind of disaster or on some kind of alien world. All the other characters were in some kind of stasis, and represented by essentially portraits that would show you a biography of the character (I think), and had items you could take. The view was first person, and I don't think there were any real-time things going on, but I'm not sure.

edit: Pretty sure I found it. Skyborg: Into the Vortex.

Popoi fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 9, 2008

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Gromit posted:

As a tip, it would help more if you told us what year this was, rather than your age at the time.

Okay. '93, '94? It was on Apple-somethings, definitely pre-Mac OS.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time
Something I played on my Atari loving years ago, you were this monster or something and the game was a platformer based in the sewers. You had to collect garbage and slowly make your way to the surface I think. I think it was called Trash but I can't find anything like that. Anyone remember it?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

tazman posted:

Something I played on my Atari loving years ago, you were this monster or something and the game was a platformer based in the sewers. You had to collect garbage and slowly make your way to the surface I think. I think it was called Trash but I can't find anything like that. Anyone remember it?

The only game with a similar title I can find is called Oscar's Trash Race. I haven't actually played it, so this might be completely wrong.

Clark_Mk_IV
May 30, 2008

Mega Fone posted:

And also another one: It was some sort of WWII RPG, I don't remember much because the CD didn't work so I had to return it, but I remember in the manual it said you could choose from 3 different characters, one being the typical strong man, on a thief and the other a charismatic talker and the game started off with you being held captive.

Sorry for the vague descriptions. :(

This describes Another War. It's available as part of the "Best of RPG" pack, which is how I came across it. I hope this helps.

I have one as well. I never played the game, and I don't have very much info on it at all. I only remember a preview in some gaming magazine, possibly Nintendo Power or Game Informer or something like that.

It was a Game Boy Color RPG in a fantasy setting that had some kind of crazy dichotomy between "magic" and "love," with corresponding mystical crystals embodying these two mystical forces.

I remember the preview saying something "you probably think you just find the crystals and break them or stop them from being broken and save the world right? Well..." and then some stuff about how the story isn't going to go in that direction.

I have no idea if this game is good, or even if it was released but it keeps popping into my head and so I'm hoping someone here knows about it.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

I had two games from the SNES to Nintendo 64 era I cannot for the life of me remember. One was sort of a caveman game, and you and a friend could play through the game co-op. There were items like a boomerang and other stuff you could pick up. You could also suck up water and spit it out. The other was some giant monster game. It wasn't Godzilla, and was sort of a 3-D run around and break crap game. The final level was inside some military base I think.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Spoz posted:

I had two games from the SNES to Nintendo 64 era I cannot for the life of me remember. One was sort of a caveman game, and you and a friend could play through the game co-op. There were items like a boomerang and other stuff you could pick up. You could also suck up water and spit it out.

Joe & Mac II, for SNES

Spoz posted:

The other was some giant monster game. It wasn't Godzilla, and was sort of a 3-D run around and break crap game. The final level was inside some military base I think.

It's been years since I've played it, so I could very well be wrong, but this might be Rampage World Tour or one of the other later Rampage games.

deadkiller615
Aug 7, 2007
yea, I kill dead stuff. so what?

There was a game some guy made and posted in GBS, you were able to put plants, herbivores and carnivores on some sort of grid. I remember the carnivores being squares and the best plants were white trees.

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I
PC game around 1997/8. Multiplayer only, up to 8 players, free open beta ( I don't think the game ever came out ).

You were a mage and the game played as a free for all RTS. It took place in the clouds and your goal was to capture the opposing mage and sacrafice them to one of the three gods you were aligned to.

I think it had net in its title, but I searched for NetMage but all I see appears to be some techno thing :(

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Clark_Mk_IV posted:

I have one as well. I never played the game, and I don't have very much info on it at all. I only remember a preview in some gaming magazine, possibly Nintendo Power or Game Informer or something like that.

It was a Game Boy Color RPG in a fantasy setting that had some kind of crazy dichotomy between "magic" and "love," with corresponding mystical crystals embodying these two mystical forces.

I remember the preview saying something "you probably think you just find the crystals and break them or stop them from being broken and save the world right? Well..." and then some stuff about how the story isn't going to go in that direction.

I have no idea if this game is good, or even if it was released but it keeps popping into my head and so I'm hoping someone here knows about it.

The Game of Harmony:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/gameboy/image/585739.html

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

BaShildy posted:

PC game around 1997/8. Multiplayer only, up to 8 players, free open beta ( I don't think the game ever came out ).

You were a mage and the game played as a free for all RTS. It took place in the clouds and your goal was to capture the opposing mage and sacrafice them to one of the three gods you were aligned to.

I think it had net in its title, but I searched for NetMage but all I see appears to be some techno thing :(

NetStorm. Was a pretty unique and fun game and I think people still play it to this day. It did get released but it did so poorly that it got shut down and some third party fans set up their own master server and stuff to keep playing.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Pr0phecy posted:

I forgot the name of a game that isn't even out yet. It's this cartoonish looking game currently being developed by the DOTA guys, sharing DOTA's gameplay. I know one of the characters is a little girl obsessed with fire or something of the sort.

Anyone know the name?

League of Legends?

CAPTAIN DOOP
Sep 19, 2008

by The Finn
There was a game I used to play a lot on my parent's old computer (I think it might've been a Macintosh) when I was little. It was an RPG type, and I don't remember a whole lot of details, but I would absolutely love to play it again.

It was one of those types where it had a character portrait on the side of the screen that you could equip weapons and armor on, like a flail for example.

Pretty sure it was entirely in black and white.

I remember when you died, the screen was filled up with hundreds of skulls appearing all over the place, kind of like when you beat solitaire and the deck goes nuts.

I don't think it was linear but the final boss was in a level called the catacombs or something, I might be mistaken.

Oh yeah, and if you explored enough you could get to this area where this Sphinx was there, and if you tried to walk past it it would kill you. There's a way to get by him but I don't remember.

That's all I remember for now, and I appreciate the help.

Pau
Jun 7, 2004

I've been trying hard to find anything about this old, VGA graphics, PC game where you played as a good for nothing, bulldog faced red demon in a quest to find uhh something I forgot... but in a labyrinth! My subconcious says the game was called RED DEVIL but google thinks otherwise so, if anyone could prove me wrong/right, I would appreciate it.

It was superhard.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Pau posted:

I've been trying hard to find anything about this old, VGA graphics, PC game where you played as a good for nothing, bulldog faced red demon in a quest to find uhh something I forgot... but in a labyrinth! My subconcious says the game was called RED DEVIL but google thinks otherwise so, if anyone could prove me wrong/right, I would appreciate it.

It was superhard.

Litil Divil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaShildy
Nov 12, 2004

Hollywood is filled with bad ideas, and so am I

Cephalectomy posted:

NetStorm. Was a pretty unique and fun game and I think people still play it to this day. It did get released but it did so poorly that it got shut down and some third party fans set up their own master server and stuff to keep playing.

Ah, never knew it got released. Probably had distribution channel issues like Subspace did. Thanks for responding :)

• Locked thread