Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
I'm in on an ad, but I have no art/computer skills :( so my total contribution would be paying my share.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis
Count me in!

Whilst we're vaguely talking about art skills - I know there was a banner done for the team page; is there anything smaller I can use in the sidebar of my blog and on Facebook and so on? Would be nifty to have a good badge...guessing I've probably missed it somewhere in this thread but sick 3yo won't let me dig around for it atm.

Goon Squad entry on my blog today and on the Facebook page - hope it sends you all some custom!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Ok so far I've got:

- discordiaskitten
- Nrapture
- pixel8ed
- Rathina
- Tethyis
- me

That's 6 of us, so it'd only be $5 each. Anyone know of a good/free program to put pixel8ed's banner in action? And just to make absolutely sure, we're having it link to www.etsygoonsquad.com rather than the GBS thread, correct?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I can animate the ad I believe. I found a website where you just upload the images and it does the work for you. I'll try it out and see how it works.

I believe we were going to link to the website rather than the thread because all the useful information is there without any of the chitchat to wade through.

Can we send a mass pm or email to all of the team shops to see who would be interested in participating? Seems like the whole team doesn't check this thread on a regular basis.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm a loving moron sometimes. I just remembered I have Adobe ImageReady. I've just never used it before now, so hopefully this works. If it does can you let me know how the timing is? I can play with that if need be.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Awesome :D

If we can do a mass email, asking if anyone else wants to chip in, that'd be great. Hopefully we can get some responses by Sunday night, so I can place the order on Monday. Let me know what kind of contact info is needed for the email and I'll get that to you in a convo or PM.

This is so cool!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
The Etsy convo system would be great to use if it didn't bring up the SpamBot after sending however many convos. I wonder how many you can send without getting flagged. It would probably be useful in the future if we had an email list of members so that we can easily contact everyone. I did notice tonight while I was writing up some featured seller spots for the blog that at least one of our members is no longer selling on Etsy. Being a moron again I put the name back in the hat, so I don't remember which one, but I'll come across it again. A lot of sellers also have no items listed, so they probably wouldn't be interested.

I'm going to go and send a few convos. Maybe if I reword slightly each time it won't flag me in their system. I'll report back with who I've convo'd and then maybe someone else can send a few as well?

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
I'm in, but I haven't been following this thread! But I can donate for the ad.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Sounds good. I'll be here for a big chunk of tonight so I can help out with the convos when you're done.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Which shop is discordiaskitten? Just so I don't convo again. I'm starting at the top of the list on the blog right hand side, but I'm not convoing anyone who doesn't have anything listed. Want to start at the bottom and work your way up?

discordiaskitten
Aug 22, 2004

I'm a fucking genuis

pixel8ed posted:

Which shop is discordiaskitten? Just so I don't convo again. I'm starting at the top of the list on the blog right hand side, but I'm not convoing anyone who doesn't have anything listed. Want to start at the bottom and work your way up?

Sorry - I'm Seawood Designs.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
Perfect! Thanks! I didn't want to spam you. :D

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

pixel8ed posted:

Want to start at the bottom and work your way up?

Sure. Can you send me an example of what you're writing? I want to make sure we don't end up saying two different things.

[edit]
We're up to 7 contributors :)

Zantie fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 7, 2008

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I got down to Balsam. The convo thing is rather frustrating. This is one of the convos.

Hey! We're getting ready to submit a banner ad to SA for the holiday season and wanting to know if you want to participate in that. We have all the info on the Etsy thread in the DIY forum. Right now with 6 people participating we're chipping in $5 each, so the more that participate the less it will be. You can let us know on the thread if you'd like to participate or convo me back.
Thanks!

Just something simple really. :) I'll send a couple more convos before work in the morning and a couple at lunchtime.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
Count me in, I have a bit more to do with my shop but better now then not have it when I get everything up.

Ampersand-e
Feb 25, 2007

Cinders and ashes bitch!
Yes Im fucking cross!
/\ /\ /\

Same here! I'm in!

My Shop
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6380880

How have I never seen this forum until now?

Ampersand-e fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 7, 2008

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

- discordiaskitten
- Nrapture
- pixel8ed
- Rathina
- Tethyis
- me
- altazakin
- Veila
- Ampersand-e

So far that's 9 people for $3.33 each (thanks guys! :toot: ) Am I missing anyone?

With etsy convos I've gotten as far as thebluetrinity. Gonna take a break for dinner then do a couple more tonight.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

We could buy more than one ad, too, if we have enough contributors. $3 isn't much, so $6 could buy us two ads in rotation.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

altazakin posted:

We could buy more than one ad, too, if we have enough contributors. $3 isn't much, so $6 could buy us two ads in rotation.

That's a great idea! We'd definately get a lot more exposure that way :)

- discordiaskitten
- Nrapture
- pixel8ed
- Rathina
- Tethyis
- me
- altazakin
- Veila
- Ampersand-e
- thebluetrinity

We're up to 10 now. Should we try for more people or go head and leave it at a flat $3/$6?

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
I'm OK either way. I did just post a little thing in the GBS thread in case some sellers are checking there and not here. So if we keep the Sunday deadline then I think we'll be good.

I'm definitely up for buying the two spots. $6 is a great price for advertising.

So, for those of us that are chipping in, do we want to do a separate page with the minis and list the other shops? Maybe there's something else neat that we could do? Something like a big image map maybe? Just tossing ideas out there. I could do a poster looking image that matches the banner ad with a few items per seller and add the script for mouseovers I think. Man, it's been a long time since I've done web stuff. But it would be neat to look at and if we put it on the blog then I think we'd be good.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

One of the ads could link to the etsy search results for team goon maybe?

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I think a mix of the two would be great. One ad could link to the Goon Squad site with a collection of etsy minis, and the other could link directly to the search results. It'd be nice if there was a kind of team storefront on Etsy directly, but hey.

What would the poster/image map look like? Do you mean a format like Etsy's front page/treasury, or something else?

Pandari
Jun 1, 2005
Pandafied pirate
I am also very interested in snagging an ad.. however other than payment I can't contribute much either. :(

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
I really like the idea of two ads, one to the page with all the etsy mini's which would be this link:

http://www.etsygoonsquad.com/?page_id=3

and the other to probably this link, which is the search results for team goon

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=team+goon

I think though, we should have two different banners, one for each link.

The one for the goonsquad website, should be more goony themed perhaps, and the one for the etsy link, more etsy themed I think. Something along the lines of "Love Etsy? Love buying unique handmade gifts? Support the goons!"

I probably could come up with some graphic ideas, just not today, as I am doing a craft show! So you all can wish me luck on that.

Also, as far as a mailing list, I'm not sure there is a way to do that, but I think I want to go ahead and put a forum on the etsygoonsquad page, that way we can have many different types of discussion threads. Then I think I could always send out a mass message to whoever is registered.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

Rathina posted:

I really like the idea of two ads, one to the page with all the etsy mini's which would be this link:

http://www.etsygoonsquad.com/?page_id=3

and the other to probably this link, which is the search results for team goon

http://www.etsy.com/search_results.php?search_type=tag_title&search_query=team+goon

I think though, we should have two different banners, one for each link.

The one for the goonsquad website, should be more goony themed perhaps, and the one for the etsy link, more etsy themed I think. Something along the lines of "Love Etsy? Love buying unique handmade gifts? Support the goons!"

I agree those two should be seperate, though I don't see why both can't have a goony theme's, especially sense we are putting the ads up here. I adore the one image further back that played on goons lack of social skills, I would try to work with it to make it a gif but my photoshop is busted and I dunno whats up I can try to get it fixed today but I dunno if I will be able to finish the banner by sunday.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Is it me, or does the page with all our etsy minis takes a heck of a long time to load? We should have one of the banners link to something that's not as broad/huge, but still visual. pixel8ed mentioned earlier about having a page of etsy minis for those of us who donated, and a list to the rest of the goon shops. That seems reasonable to me, and it won't totally overwhelm anyone who's clicked the banner for the first time.

As far as having a different ad for the second slot, it would be neat. I think it'd be nice to keep with the original theme, cause ultimately our goal is to catch the eyes of goons who have never heard of Etsy before.

Don't feel like you have to be rushed into making one by tomorrow, there's no reason we can't have the same banner listed twice :)

OneChordWonder
Apr 17, 2006

I get my kicks up in the attic with a kodak instamatic.
My shop:

http://onechordwonder.etsy.com

I sell video game needlepoints, coasters and magnets. I don't want to clog the thread with my etsy mini, so I'll just post my etsy avatar, which should give you an idea:

Edited Add On: Wow...I just started going through this thread and there are a lot of stores that I like. I usually have to dig around a bit to find etsy stores that fit my personality and style. It's unfortunate my finances are on lockdown because I am moving out of state soon, but i'll favorite all of these for when I'm settled in.

OneChordWonder fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 8, 2008

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

OneChordWonder posted:

http://onechordwonder.etsy.com

"This shop is for anyone who ever got frustrated by the second quest in Legend of Zelda, for anyone who knows that Samus is a girl, for anyone who has a preference for either Bub or Bob, for anyone who has called Nurse Edna for a good time, and for anyone who has dodged grim reapers and breakdancers just to finish your paper route."

Oh you'll fit right in!

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Zantie posted:

I think a mix of the two would be great. One ad could link to the Goon Squad site with a collection of etsy minis, and the other could link directly to the search results. It'd be nice if there was a kind of team storefront on Etsy directly, but hey.

What would the poster/image map look like? Do you mean a format like Etsy's front page/treasury, or something else?

Yeah, I was kind of thinking along the lines of a treasury, but dressed up all Christmassy like. Just a suggestion. I have Tuesday off and could get it done then. Or if we want to do just a page with the minis and links that works too. I'll help however I can.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004

Veila posted:

I agree those two should be seperate, though I don't see why both can't have a goony theme's, especially sense we are putting the ads up here. I adore the one image further back that played on goons lack of social skills, I would try to work with it to make it a gif but my photoshop is busted and I dunno whats up I can try to get it fixed today but I dunno if I will be able to finish the banner by sunday.

No worries! I figured out how to animate and posted it further up on this page. Thanks though!

ludosti
Feb 25, 2007

Cute, but psycho
Count me on the advertising bandwagon! I wanted to wait until after my boutique today to know whether I would have a lot of things left in my store (hence making advertising a good idea). Let me know how and how much and where to contribute.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

How about I put in one ad Sunday night that links to the 'team goon' search results, and on Thursday put in a second order for a banner that'll link to a treasury type thing?

Getting one out in the beginning of the week will be great in getting early shoppers, and later in the week a second one will boost views and run till about a week before Christmas, for those later shoppers.

What do you guys think?

Zantie fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 9, 2008

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
That sounds good to me!

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
Ok guys I can't decide on which banner to use, all opinions are welcome.

Also now that PS is working again I can try and work on something for one of the banners if you guys want help. Just let me know.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Veila posted:

Ok guys I can't decide on which banner to use, all opinions are welcome.

Also now that PS is working again I can try and work on something for one of the banners if you guys want help. Just let me know.
Best to worst, in my opinion, is #2, #4, #3, #1. I like 2 and 4 a lot and I don't care much at all for the other ones. I haven't gone through the whole thread yet, what all are you going to be selling?

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007

MockTurtle posted:

Best to worst, in my opinion, is #2, #4, #3, #1. I like 2 and 4 a lot and I don't care much at all for the other ones. I haven't gone through the whole thread yet, what all are you going to be selling?

Bags (both sewn and knitted), as well as knitted scarves, beanies, sweatbands, etc.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

- discordiaskitten
- Nrapture
- pixel8ed
- Rathina
- Tethyis
- me
- altazakin
- Veila
- Ampersand-e
- thebluetrinity
- ludosti

11 people, so we're down to $5.45 each for a total of 2 team ads. If we get one more person by the end of tomorrow, the cost will drop to $4.99 which is rather nifty!

[edit]

I'm having these half formed ideas for a possible ad along the lines of: giving a gift when you're too shy to talk to girls, and giving a gift when he's already got the latest/greatest electronics.

Zantie fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 9, 2008

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

How about animated banner ad, two frames. One frame is the graphic, second frame advertises a coupon code? I can do 20% off for goons while the ad runs, how's that sit with every one? "teamgoon" can be the code..

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

PS, I can't load the goonsquad page at all -- it hangs my browser (firefox).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Thanks to waywarddreams, we're up to 12!

The team page is loading ok for me (firefox 3.0.3) but it hangs up on the page with everyone's etsy minis.

I like the idea of a coupon code, but I doubt we could get every shop to agree on a set amount. If it's possible that'd be great. I'd like to hear more input from everyone else, cause it'd be pretty great in bumping up the likelihood of repeat customers even after the discount expires.