Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The first time you hear the noise your helmet makes as it scrapes across the pavement with your head in it is the day you'll figure out the gear is worth it.

Full disclosure though-I do go out very occasionally without gear to feel the wind in my hair. Well, OK, if I want to feel the wind in my hair these days I have to take my shirt off and hold my arms up but you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Gnomad posted:

The first time you hear the noise your helmet makes as it scrapes across the pavement with your head in it is the day you'll figure out the gear is worth it.

Funny, that was the exact same time that I though - OH gently caress, I've just toasted a $500 helmet. :smith:

Afterwards, of course, I was happy that I'd had an expensive lid, as anything cheaper would have meant much, much worse whiplash, but still... :downs:

mikeyio
Mar 1, 2003

Zool posted:

Awesome! For those who don't recognize it, that is a Ducati MH900evoluzione. One of 2000 produced.

And yes, they sound just as awesome as they look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q21_fJqPCOA
Gorgeous bike RPM.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

mikeyio posted:

And yes, they sound just as awesome as they look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q21_fJqPCOA
Gorgeous bike RPM.

Oh god, oh god.... :flashfap:

Someday, after I've sorted out this whole not being a poor rear end student thing, I will own a Ducati, and it will be loud enough to wake my parents in the morning, when I fire it up - no mean feat, considering they live 30km away. :v:

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
I love riding, I travel a lot for work so don't get to ride or drive my car as much as I would like. I ride my bikes more then I drive my car. The last 12months I have put 2500 miles on my car and 4500 miles on my bikes.

My 2005 Suzuki DR650SE, bought it brand new in December 2004. Mostly stock except bars/hand guards and bash plate. I love this bike, I ride it hard, on and off the road, it takes a beating. I am also on my second set of Dunlop D606 tires which great tires.

Some nice wider ProTaper bars with new hand guards to replace the very bent out of shape cheap stock bars.

A year ago I picked up a new 2007 Honda 919.

Also bought some luggage for it to take on trips. I took a 4 day trip in southern Colorado with it back in June.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I've always loved the look of the 599/Hornet/919. I do wish that they'd imported the CB400 of the same era to NA, but I'm probably alone in that - >400cc just happens to be one of the cheaper insurance brackets, and there's very, very few modern bikes that fall into that, that aren't either cruisers, dedicated newb bikes, or dirt/dual sports.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The 599 is definetly on the short list of 2nd bikes. Maybe in 2010.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

I have the same bars you have on the DR650 on my 919.

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot

Simkin posted:

I've always loved the look of the 599/Hornet/919. I do wish that they'd imported the CB400 of the same era to NA, but I'm probably alone in that - >400cc just happens to be one of the cheaper insurance brackets, and there's very, very few modern bikes that fall into that, that aren't either cruisers, dedicated newb bikes, or dirt/dual sports.

I really liked naked bikes and the JDM standard look. I shopped around for used 599's and 919's but ended up liking the 919 better. The 599 didn't feel as solid to me and for in traffic riding the 919'9 power band(or higher low end tq) was nicer. 2007 was the last year for the 599/919 in the US. I ended up picking up new because I couldn't find any decent used examples and many dealers still had 2005 and 2006's in the showrooms. The dealer I bought my 2007 from a year ago still has 2 2007's sitting in their showroom.

| bri | posted:

I have the same bars you have on the DR650 on my 919.

Do you have pictures, there are no clearance issues? I really don't like the stock bars on the 919.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Simkin posted:

Funny, that was the exact same time that I though - OH gently caress, I've just toasted a $500 helmet. :smith:

Afterwards, of course, I was happy that I'd had an expensive lid, as anything cheaper would have meant much, much worse whiplash, but still... :downs:

My helmet was a cheapo lid but still, I wasn't all that happy about having to replace it. Kept my brains off the pavement. Spending money on a new helmet every time it hits the ground with your head in it is a good incentive to not ride tooo stupid.

King_Mongo
Apr 2, 2007

Fella says līm gonna make a crackerjack clerk.
OK, posting in the right thread this time.

Here's my new baby, 1974 BMW r90/6 with 30,000 miles:

In the shed where it's been for a few years

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

With the PO, who is an awesome family friend

Fairing off and ready for transport

Front view

On the trailer and ready to go home

This will be my winter project - it's been sitting a while, and I'll have to take the handlebars off just to get it in my basement. Thorough cleaning first, then the restore begins.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

mhsneon posted:

I really liked naked bikes and the JDM standard look. I shopped around for used 599's and 919's but ended up liking the 919 better. The 599 didn't feel as solid to me and for in traffic riding the 919'9 power band(or higher low end tq) was nicer. 2007 was the last year for the 599/919 in the US. I ended up picking up new because I couldn't find any decent used examples and many dealers still had 2005 and 2006's in the showrooms. The dealer I bought my 2007 from a year ago still has 2 2007's sitting in their showroom.

Do you have pictures, there are no clearance issues? I really don't like the stock bars on the 919.
I can get some pictures next weekend. There are no clearence issues at all. It took a little getting used to because the bars are so much wider then the stock bars, and WAY wider then the stock bars I have on my EX500. I've grown to really like them though. I got them in black and I think they look pretty awesome too.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

King_Mongo posted:

OK, posting in the right thread this time.

Here's my new baby, 1974 BMW r90/6 with 30,000 miles:
Looks seriously cool without the fairing.

greg_graffin posted:

Hell yeah. What kind of tires are on there and how are you liking them?
Hey Hawk buddy! They're Challenger or something, I left the bike at my folks' place to start the winterizing process, I can check when I'm there next weekend. I think I might get new tires in the Spring when I bring it back on the road, but after I fix the headlight fairing I broke when I dropped it last week :v:

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 5, 2008

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Truly, that BMW looks much better without the fairing. Find a tractor seat, clean the bike up and get it back on the road. A boxer twin makes for such a satisfying ride.

King_Mongo
Apr 2, 2007

Fella says līm gonna make a crackerjack clerk.

Gnomad posted:

Truly, that BMW looks much better without the fairing. Find a tractor seat, clean the bike up and get it back on the road. A boxer twin makes for such a satisfying ride.

Yes, yes, and yes. I'm leaving the fairing off.

I've wanted one of these (and a Commando) since I was about 8 years old. Plus they are mechanically dead simple.

MuffinMan
Oct 1, 2001

roger that sir, you're good to go.
Just picked up a 2001 SV650 last night after putting around on my friends' EX250 for 3 months.

It was dark when I finally got it home, but I love it and I'm sure I'll take more pictures later.

e n i s h i
Dec 30, 2002

Oh, boysenberry!

Oh, my love. I've got to work on that posture though.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

e n i s h i posted:

Oh, my love. I've got to work on that posture though.

Color me jealous. Nice bike!

Thelonious
Jul 16, 2005

mhsneon posted:

A year ago I picked up a new 2007 Honda 919.

I really liked naked bikes and the JDM standard look.

Naked improvised touring bikes represent.

I picked up a brand new '04 599 in the spring of '07. Got it for a song and have been loving it ever since. I wadded this thing at 50mph - a frame slider and some new bars later it was back to form. Though I must admit, I don't keep it as clean as it deserves. This, combined with multiple North American tours and daily riding have taken a cosmetic toll, but I kind of like the well loved look. I used to wish I had gotten one in black, but I've since come to realize yellow is the only proper color for a hornet.

My friend and I are too poor for proper luggage, so we just roll with the motorcycle gypsy look.

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever
Here's mine. Finally actually brought a camera with me on a ride yesterday. I've only had it a couple months but I've had tons of fun exploring in that short time.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
A bike followed me home again tonight, a 79 XS1100. I think it looking to be taken in over the weekend and have a couple botched/unfinished cafe jobs cleaned up. She runs, but I think the carbs need a good cleaning and tuning, one or two on the left side are stuck wide or something, I can just for gas straight into the cylinder when i try to fill the hose. Gas tank is rusty, what is it you guys were doing to clean them up? I wish I had paid more attention when it seemed like everyone was dealing with a rusty tank. Not sure what I am going to do it it, but I will defiantly be repainting, as somebody painted it rattlecan yellow, without doing anything like actually taking the gas tank off to paint it.

Being unloaded...

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

A bit of the botched cafe attempts, the chopped pipes sound pretty bitchen though

Fist thing was the get her naked and figure out why the left two cylinders weren't running. Turns out there are two petcocks, the one for the left bank wasn't on.

Pull the plugs, left bank is running way rich, no surprise since gas just pores though the carbs. Thankfully, the previous owner had fitted two brand new fuel filters before pouring gas into the rusty tanks and running it that way.

Side shot.

Its rough, but I can see some potential here...

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Simkin posted:

Wiplash is neck injury, the only effect the helmet has on it is it's weight. Lighter is better.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
Just bought this on Friday. I was riding an 02 SV650 until a 17 year old ran me over with an SUV 3 weeks ago. My leg is still injured but I'm a happy camper.

Twin Yoshimura slipons
Aftermarket windshield
ZX10 rear shock
Pazzo levers
Salvage title from a very minor accident
$2600

I was surprised how low the seat height was - I'm only 5'4 and my SV had a Corbin on it so it was even a bit high for me. They also hide their weight well for big bikes. I think wet it's 487 pounds which is almost 100lbs heavier than my SV but I can barely tell. I might do a ZX10 front end conversion on it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
That's a deal on that z1000, congrats. That windshield is hilarious though, reminds me of the guy from kid n play's hair for some reason.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

That's a deal on that z1000, congrats. That windshield is hilarious though, reminds me of the guy from kid n play's hair for some reason.

:v:

It came with the stock windshield as well, and a stack of spares and a gas tank that's in better condition. It does a pretty good job of keeping the wind off, though. For some reason, those pictures make it look a lot bigger than it looks in person...

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
That has to be the most ineffective swingarm spools I've ever seen :v: Sweet buy for less than $3k though, I'm jealous.

contrapunk
Jun 9, 2004

Nothing special - 2002 GSXR600K2 Telefonica edition. Full Yoshimura exhaust headers and all, Ohlins shock (forks coming soon!) power commander and some other small stuff.

contrapunk fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 11, 2008

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Telefonicas and the Alstares are some of the best looking sportbikes ever.

contrapunk
Jun 9, 2004

Phat_Albert posted:

The Telefonicas and the Alstares are some of the best looking sportbikes ever.

Wow, thanks a lot man, that's a hell of a compliment!

I had to special order it when it was announced, it was an ordeal getting it. It's been down once, lowside at around 50MPH but I put a lot of work into making it look like new again, When I replaced the clutch cover I went ahead and put in a CRC slipper clutch also - I don't think I could go back to a non-slipper anymore after that.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn
why are you on the wrong side of a double-yellow line mister :mad:

contrapunk
Jun 9, 2004

ail posted:

why are you on the wrong side of a double-yellow line mister :mad:

Because as you can see in my visor there wasn't a soul on the road besides me and the cameraman and I had visibility for at least 500+ yards :)

I'd never cross the line in a blind corner.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Bunway Airlines posted:

Jerk with his fancy awesome bike

drat, that is a steal. Great find. The Z1000 will be in my stable someday! Along with a goldwing, my f650, and a super sherpa or DRZ400.

Also good to hear the seat height isn't that high, I'm a short legged 5'8"

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

dreesemonkey posted:

drat, that is a steal. Great find. The Z1000 will be in my stable someday! Along with a goldwing, my f650, and a super sherpa or DRZ400.

Also good to hear the seat height isn't that high, I'm a short legged 5'8"

This jerk you speak of is a she ;) The seat height really is very nice and manageable.

A 5'4 guy with the name Bunway Airlines would be pretty...:gay:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Zool posted:

Wiplash is neck injury, the only effect the helmet has on it is it's weight. Lighter is better.

I was sort of indirectly saying that, as generally the more expensive lids are made of lighter materials, like fiberglass or CF, rather than being heavy polycarbonate beasts like most entry level helmets.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

It's okay to be jealous.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's okay to be jealous.

Hey that is a good starter bike. If more people started out on those we'd have far less accidents.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Gnaghi posted:

Hey that is a good starter bike. If more people started out on those we'd have far less accidents.

and less organ doners

Think of the children!

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's okay to be jealous.

You do know that you have to follow that up with a knee dragging pose, right

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

It's okay to be jealous.

Nice lack of boots or pants you squid. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Hello here is my biek

Yes, I like to go really fast in a straight line.

peengers fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 15, 2008