Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Does anyone know of a well established wrapper for iptables?

I've used apf in the past which does exactly what I need, but I've had enough of it's buggyness and it's been acting up since I upgraded to lenny. I'm a step away from just doing the entire ruleset by hand which is fine, but I was wondering if there was some nifty script out there that would make it a bit less work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers

celestial teapot posted:

Here's what I want:

I would like to be able to share samba stuff to my friend via wireless, while routing my internet traffic through eth0 instead of wifi. But at minimum, I need to have my internet running through my wired connection and not through wireless. Any idea how I can do this or why the network manager won't send internet traffic through eth0?

Wow, I just came to post a similar problem. I have a Ubuntu 8.10 server (with the desktop installed) with 2 network connections: eth0 goes to my internet, and eth1 goes through a wireless bridge to my neighbors wifi. I would like for all normal traffic to go through eth0, but be able to do samba and ssh through his. Problem is, traffic seemed to randomly chose which interface to go through each boot, and when i played with the /etc/network/interfaces (to set a static ip to fix a dhcp problem) all internet traffic ceased (local still worked funnily enough).

How can I force Ubuntu to run traffic through eth0 unless accessed by eth1?

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

SynVisions posted:

Does anyone know of a well established wrapper for iptables?

I've used apf in the past which does exactly what I need, but I've had enough of it's buggyness and it's been acting up since I upgraded to lenny. I'm a step away from just doing the entire ruleset by hand which is fine, but I was wondering if there was some nifty script out there that would make it a bit less work?
UFW works quite nicely, comes with Ubuntu.

celestial teapot posted:

Here's what I want:

I would like to be able to share samba stuff to my friend via wireless, while routing my internet traffic through eth0 instead of wifi. But at minimum, I need to have my internet running through my wired connection and not through wireless. Any idea how I can do this or why the network manager won't send internet traffic through eth0?

TheGreenBandit posted:

How can I force Ubuntu to run traffic through eth0 unless accessed by eth1?
This guide should work for you guys.

SynVisions
Jun 29, 2003

Lucien posted:

UFW works quite nicely, comes with Ubuntu.

Ah this looks to be exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

edit: it's just like pf... I'm in love

SynVisions fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 10, 2008

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I'm looking at tackling another project, perhaps a DNS server. My question is, are there any benefits to building your own dns server other than saying you built one?

Lucien
May 2, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

I'm looking at tackling another project, perhaps a DNS server. My question is, are there any benefits to building your own dns server other than saying you built one?
It can increase internet speed for your network by caching DNS records.

Also, you can easily define host names for your entire network, e.g. you will be able browse to http://router/ instead of http://192.168.1.1/ or "ssh myserver" instead of "ssh 192.168.1.100" from every machine in your network.

Combine with a DHCP server for even more control.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need to become familiar with creating RPMs for a project at work, so I downloaded and installed Fedora because it's the closest thing to Redhat Enterprise, and I really don't want to mess around on my Ubuntu box since I don't know how nicely rpm and debs will play with each others.

Fedora and VMWare are not playing nice with each other.

I install it fine, and turn acpi off in GRUB to get around the common-repeat-rate problem that linux seems to have with VMWare.

I get into Fedora, and oh my god it is slow. I don't know if Fedora just runs a lot more services than Ubuntu or if there is something else going on, if anyone can shed some light or anecdotes please do!

Anyways, I run the updater to bring it up to current. After it finishes, it asks me to reboot.

I reboot, and the Update installed something which is making the distro unusable. It did not install VMWare Tools, but it did install something similar because now my mouse can "escape" from the VMWare window. VMWare does not think VMWare Tools in installed.

This would be a pretty cool, except now every single click -- right or left button -- is being interpreted as a double click.

This is making it pretty much unusable.

So now for the real questions:

1. What do you think Fedora might have installed that made it "VM Aware"?
2. Could this have caused the mouse issue, or did something else in the update lead to this problem?
3. What is the keyboard equivalent of "right click" on an icon after you have it selected?

EDIT : After some more experimenting it's not that every mouse click is interpreted as a double click, it's that both mouse-down and mouse-up register a click, so you get two clicks per mouse press.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Nov 10, 2008

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
You might consider using CentOS instead. It's a recompiled current release of Red Hat Enterprise without Red Hat trademarks (name and graphics). More or less.

http://www.centos.org/

TheGreenBandit
Dec 22, 2006

President of the United States of Boogers

Lucien posted:

This guide should work for you guys.
That guide was very informative, but I still have one problem. When I delete the static route connecting eth1 to the internet, incoming connections from the internet are also rejected. However, if I add it back in, the computer can't seem to access the internet (local is still fine though). I guess this would have something to do with two routes to the internet, so is there a way of setting a default route to use?

Lucien
May 2, 2007

TheGreenBandit posted:

That guide was very informative, but I still have one problem. When I delete the static route connecting eth1 to the internet, incoming connections from the internet are also rejected. However, if I add it back in, the computer can't seem to access the internet (local is still fine though). I guess this would have something to do with two routes to the internet, so is there a way of setting a default route to use?
I'm not sure I understand, please post your /etc/network/interfaces

E: PM me if you want

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
All right, I tried this too and I clearly have no idea what I'm doing since now my desktop box can't ping anything. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to back up by interfaces file before committing any changes. What am I doing wrong? :v:
code:
############loopback
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# This is a list of hotpluggable network interfaces.
# They will be activated automatically by the hotplug subsystem.
mapping hotplug
script grep
map eth0

###########################
############ath0    wifi  #
###########################
iface ath0 inet dhcp
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    wireless-essid "FOOD STAMP CLAN"
    wireless-key brazilianjiujitsu

#remove default gateway generated by dhcp
    up route del default gw FOOD STAMP CLAN

#add the route for the wireless interface for specific adresses
    up route add -net 192.168.0.0/16 gw "FOOD STAMP CLAN" dev wlan0
    up route add -net 193.169.0.0/24 gw "FOOD STAMP CLAN" dev wlan0

#starts automatically at boot up
    auto ath0

############################
############eth0    wired  #
#########################  #
iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.1.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1

#force to use eth0 dns nameservers
    dns-nameservers 208.67.222.222

#start automatically
    auto eth0

GREAT BOOK OF DICK
Aug 14, 2008

by Ozma
Might as well ask in this thread as well:

If I RDP into a Windows machine using the Terminal Server Client in Ubuntu 8.10, and I set it to connect fullscreen rather than in a window, I can't minimize the RDP session. Someone suggested using the key combination of Ctrl-Alt-Enter, but when I press that, I see the Ubuntu desktop appear but then it forces me back into the RDP session. I'd like to be able to minimize a fullscreen session so I can continue working in Ubuntu but I can't figure out how to get it to work.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

celestial teapot posted:

All right, I tried this too and I clearly have no idea what I'm doing since now my desktop box can't ping anything. Thankfully I had the presence of mind to back up by interfaces file before committing any changes. What am I doing wrong? :v:
This line
code:
tells all connections for IPs in 192.168.* to go through your wireless. Then, you tell your eth0 connection to use
code:
gateway 192.168.1.1
which falls within that range. What are your actual networks' IP ranges?

Sorry, the guide I posted was not so much a copy and paste thing but more like an example configuration.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the heads up on CentOS, will check it out.

General Question about Linux : I am working with some very old custom C libraries. What's the cleanest way to integrate these into the system? I really don't want to just dump them into /usr/lib and I'm unsure if there is anything else I need to do to register them.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Chuu posted:

General Question about Linux : I am working with some very old custom C libraries. What's the cleanest way to integrate these into the system? I really don't want to just dump them into /usr/lib and I'm unsure if there is anything else I need to do to register them.

For location, I would use /usr/local/lib to avoid any conflicts. Not sure about registering, if you want an app to use it, just set the path to include it.

Edit: Spell check

Ashex fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Nov 11, 2008

morts
Jan 10, 2006
Dude! Where's my caption?

TheHeadSage posted:

It used to be with VMware server 1 that it would wait for the VMs to shutdown before exiting itself. Looks like I wont be moving the VMware Server 2 in a hell of a hurry.

Tell me about it....
Normally I remember to shut down Windows or at least suspend the VM if I'm lazy.
Occasionally (usually after a kernel update that Ubuntu pushes on you every week), I just go "yeah sure resta....gently caress" and get to spend half an hour salvaging my VM...

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone here use Arch linux? I've gotten tired of Kubuntu having issues all the time so I'm doing a pilot of Arch on my laptop and so far love it.
The initial setup with Arch is a bit longer, but overall it was actually easier to get going and is a hell of a lot faster then Ubuntu was on my laptop.

Only issue I have is the lack of a quality gui wifi manager. I put together a script for connecting to known wpa wireless networks, but for some reason netcfg and wicd don't work and complain about wpa_supplicant. and nm-applet doesn't launch properly for some reason :/

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
I used to use Arch, but largely on the server end; I did run it as a desktop but that was many moons ago. It's a decent distribution and I loved its package management system -- package creation was the simplest out of all the other ones I've tried, which I really enjoyed.

Granted, that's probably because pacman doesn't have quite the feature set that APT has, but I still felt Arch struck a good middle ground between totally stripped down stuff like Slackware, so-full-featured-it-approaches-byzantine stuff like the Debian family, and the "speed" (since it's all built for i686 instead of i386 like Debian) of source based distros like Gentoo.

I've since come back into the Debian/Ubuntu fold, but still have a lot of respect for Arch.

/spiel

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Ashex posted:

Anyone here use Arch linux? I've gotten tired of Kubuntu having issues all the time so I'm doing a pilot of Arch on my laptop and so far love it.
The initial setup with Arch is a bit longer, but overall it was actually easier to get going and is a hell of a lot faster then Ubuntu was on my laptop.

Only issue I have is the lack of a quality gui wifi manager. I put together a script for connecting to known wpa wireless networks, but for some reason netcfg and wicd don't work and complain about wpa_supplicant. and nm-applet doesn't launch properly for some reason :/
You could try either wifi-radar or wpa_supplicant with wpa_supplicant_gui I think. I see that wlassistant is also in the tree, but don't know if it's graphical or not.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008

Chuu posted:

I am working with some very old custom C libraries. What's the cleanest way to integrate these into the system? I really don't want to just dump them into /usr/lib and I'm unsure if there is anything else I need to do to register them.

Look into using LD_LIBRARY_PATH as Ashex hinted above.

Also it should be possible to run NetworkManager under Arch as far as I understand it. Did you have a look at the wiki?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

trekdanne posted:

Also it should be possible to run NetworkManager under Arch as far as I understand it. Did you have a look at the wiki?
Ah yes, this might be why nm-applet isn't working for you, you need to have NetworkManager running.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

Ah yes, this might be why nm-applet isn't working for you, you need to have NetworkManager running.

Ah, I'll look into that. It was odd since I would launch nm-applet and nothing would appear in the tray. I tried using Wifi-radar but it didn't work very well, if at all. I've been digging through the wiki the entire weekend getting things setup. I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't detect my volume keys, but I just use alsactl to set the volume at boot and tpb controls the hardware volume for me.

The script I mentioned uses wpa_supplicant. Basically all I did was add a network to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf with wpa_passphrase (I think that's the location), and the script just sets the essid, brings up the interface and gets an ip. It's not very efficient since I just have it wait ten seconds before trying to grab an ip.

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

bitprophet posted:

I used to use Arch, but largely on the server end; I did run it as a desktop but that was many moons ago. It's a decent distribution and I loved its package management system -- package creation was the simplest out of all the other ones I've tried, which I really enjoyed.

Granted, that's probably because pacman doesn't have quite the feature set that APT has, but I still felt Arch struck a good middle ground between totally stripped down stuff like Slackware, so-full-featured-it-approaches-byzantine stuff like the Debian family, and the "speed" (since it's all built for i686 instead of i386 like Debian) of source based distros like Gentoo.

I've since come back into the Debian/Ubuntu fold, but still have a lot of respect for Arch.

/spiel

I assume they broke stuff less often than Gentoo?

GringoGrande
Jul 27, 2001
Nah...

Pavol Paska posted:

I've been using Arch for a little more than 2 years now and I've never had any real problems with it. Whenever something has stopped working, it's always been a matter of minutes to fix. All in all, it's a pretty great distro, especially if you like tinkering.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

morts posted:

Tell me about it....
Normally I remember to shut down Windows or at least suspend the VM if I'm lazy.
Occasionally (usually after a kernel update that Ubuntu pushes on you every week), I just go "yeah sure resta....gently caress" and get to spend half an hour salvaging my VM...

Ok, installed VMware server 2 and had a quick look around and our problems are solved.

Just log into the web interface, then click "Edit VM Startup/Shutdown Settings" then check the box which allows VMs to start up and shutdown with the server.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

GringoGrande posted:

I've been using Arch for a little more than 2 years now and I've never had any real problems with it. Whenever something has stopped working, it's always been a matter of minutes to fix. All in all, it's a pretty great distro, especially if you like tinkering.

When I was setting up my laptop, I spent a good 2-3 hours trying to get the hibernate/suspend keys to work. It would just emit that hibernate/suspend failed sound and it was driving me nuts. I learned how to write handlers for acpi and everything and nothing worked. I finally gave up and rebooted and it magically worked. Because of that, my tagline in #archlinux is "Well, a reboot fixed it"
I've since learned that I should reboot Arch when I'm having an issue, as I have the really bad habit of setting up rc.conf, but forgetting to actually start or load bits I need.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 11, 2008

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Pavol Paska posted:

Yea, I've had a few medium-to-OMG mishaps with Gentoo, but a lot less with Arch. However, it's not a fair comparison in my case because I had a bit more experience by the time I found Arch (though I was pretty experienced via Redhat/Debian/Slackware already by the time I was using Gentoo) and I was mostly using Arch on servers where my personal Gentoo use was more desktop oriented.

Arch is also simpler and has less moving parts than Gentoo, given that Gentoo has to manage all the source crap. That's not to say Portage was the best at what it did, either, though -- I liked some parts but others felt pretty overdone.

Certainly, though, if I was given a desert island, a generator, a PC and the choice of an Arch install disk or a Gentoo one, I'd go with Arch hands down.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Why does Linux keep the Read-Only flag on files I copy over from CD?

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Lucien posted:

This line
code:
tells all connections for IPs in 192.168.* to go through your wireless. Then, you tell your eth0 connection to use
code:
gateway 192.168.1.1
which falls within that range. What are your actual networks' IP ranges?

Sorry, the guide I posted was not so much a copy and paste thing but more like an example configuration.

That makes sense. I tried commenting that line out and got the same result. In fact, now that ubuntu seems determined to connect through this wireless network, I am getting the same problem even with my old /etc/network/interfaces:

code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

auto eth0
I'm now at a loss as to what's causing this problem.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

So I took the advice from you guys and finally got around to setting up PulseAudio, but HOLY gently caress it bogs my network down. Do you guys have advice on how I can keep it from slowing everything to a crawl?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

The Remote Viewer posted:

how are you copying it over? if you're going via terminal, most copy utilities preserve file permissions, so if it sees it as read only, it keeps it that way. Most gui file managers should know it's a disk and reset permissions.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

I'm having a problem with Gnome NetworkManager. I am running Gentoo on an iBook G4 with a 2.6.27 kernel. First, I emerged the .65 version (it's unmasked by default in Portage). Nothing worked, although I COULD add it to the default runlevel with rc-update and it would start when the system booted. I wasn't able to find the Network Manager Applet or anything associated with it though.

Next, I tried the SVN .7 version from Gnome's website. Same issues.

Last, I tried the masked .66 version from portage. This one would bring up the Network Manager Configuration Editor, but it did not show any interfaces, and the Applet was nowhere to be found.

Can anyone give me a hand with this? I am able to get on my wireless network with WICD, but it is a piece of poo poo and NetworkManager works much nicer on other computers I have used. I just want it to work on mine.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

celestial teapot posted:

That makes sense. I tried commenting that line out and got the same result. In fact, now that ubuntu seems determined to connect through this wireless network, I am getting the same problem even with my old /etc/network/interfaces:

code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1

auto eth0
I'm now at a loss as to what's causing this problem.
Instead of
code:
try
code:
 up route del default gw dev ath0 
Just an idea, it's all trial and error from here, at least at my level of expertise.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Lucien posted:

Instead of
code:
try
code:
 up route del default gw dev ath0 
Just an idea, it's all trial and error from here, at least at my level of expertise.

Can I AIM you? This might take a lot of posts...

Lucien
May 2, 2007

celestial teapot posted:

Can I AIM you? This might take a lot of posts...
Sure but don't expect me to be overly responsive.

Actually we should really have an irc channel.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Lucien posted:

Sure but don't expect me to be overly responsive.

Actually we should really have an irc channel.

We have #shsc on synirc?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I can run irssi as root, but not as a user. It doesn't give me any error messages either. Does anyone know why this might be happening, or how to figure out what's going wrong with it?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

Coupon Wizard posted:

I can run irssi as root, but not as a user. It doesn't give me any error messages either. Does anyone know why this might be happening, or how to figure out what's going wrong with it?

does it actually launch? Try removing/renaming ~/.irssi and running again.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Ashex posted:

does it actually launch? Try removing/renaming ~/.irssi and running again.

Tried renaming it, no luck there.

When I type in the command and hit enter, it's as though nothing happens (although it did recreate .irssi).

Edit: It seems to be working now

Excavation fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 13, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

The Remote Viewer posted:

Because you're making a copy of the file. It's the same as if you were making a copy of a read-only file on the hard disk.

Seriously, what kind of question is that?