Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Radnor posted:

What the hell is wrong with these people? I can't imagine why anyone would want to do this. CB radio people are scary.

It's like drag racing...except with radios. I guess. How do they score this? ERP? That's kinda nerdy for CB folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Maybe they score it by dead birds and melted aluminum....

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

quote:

MeLikeyTacos (23 hours ago) +1 Reply | Spam
hurf durf check out my big ol' radio oh wait why do my eyes hurt and I have cancer oh well at least I impressed some idiots.

Well-played, goon...

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 28, 2019

NeerWas
Dec 13, 2004

Everyday I'm shufflin'.

NeerWas fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 9, 2023

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
You know how a hollow-state rig smells? That unmistakable aroma that smells like warm and crackling on a winter morning? I'm guessing that some of the newer folks might not know, but there is something about it that takes me back to my first rig, the old Heathkit SB-102 I bought off the Yellow Sheets. Have I established my street cred as a greybeard yet?

One of the items I found during my weekly browsing at the second hand store was a spool of the old style hookup wire....it smells like that, not surprising, after all it's the wire they used to connect all those point to points in hollow state rigs. My plan was to use it for an antenna, any more I take the easy way out, throw up a buttload of wire, feed it with ladder line through a tuner and call it good-but I don't know if that's really an appropriate use for the stuff. Well, I'm going to huff the spool again and think it over. Plenty of wire at Home Depot.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
And while we're talking about hollow state, I do have a Swan 270B that I should get on the air again. Transmit is fine, but the recieve is useless. Ideas? Anyone? Is this thing on?

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
VA3FOX here.

Edit: Oh yeah, the post part. I recommend HAM radio to goons who want to start with some electrical engineering projects, building radios is pretty fun.

Maide fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 28, 2008

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 28, 2019

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Jose Pointero posted:

I'd like to try building one of these or maybe a Softrock. Too bad the Elecraft is so drat expensive though.

Man I've seen those at the last two local Hamfests I've been to. Looked like a sharp radio at the first; at the second I realized it was a kit and was blown away. I really kinda like their K1 kit. Though I'd first have to take the time to learn cw for more then my callsign.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Aug 28, 2019

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jose Pointero posted:

I propose a goonham New Year's Resolution...let's all learn code next year. I'm using that CW trainer and I suck but man I've learned the gently caress out of M and K. I think I'm gonna learn my callsign now and just transmit an endless stream of MK's.

I think I'd be in for that. I've got a cheap $15 MFJ key, hooked up to a cheap radioshack buzzer and battery for practice. I like being able to hear, and get the muscle memory at the same time (sending-wise at least)

EDIT: Though at the same time; I love the angst when I hop on repeaters and talk to greybeard generals about how these kids now days don't know 'the code'; then tell them I'm a no-code extra. The silence is golden I tell you.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 28, 2008

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones
So started learning code too http://lcwo.net/ is great I know M and K pretty well too, I picked up a cheap key at a hamfest over the weekend, so lots of fun.

also my upgrade came through VK3LNX now no more VK3FBSD.

Looking forward to giving 20 metres a good working out over the weekend.

Beefington
Sep 18, 2004

Live Together, Die Alone
KI4S** here. I just upgraded last month. HF is fun, and I can't wait to have more free time to get on the air more. I'd like to learn code as well, probably before I go for Extra. Thanks to Gnomad for making the tire studding thread that helped me find this thread ;)

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 28, 2019

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Beefington posted:

KI4S** here. I just upgraded last month. HF is fun, and I can't wait to have more free time to get on the air more. I'd like to learn code as well, probably before I go for Extra. Thanks to Gnomad for making the tire studding thread that helped me find this thread ;)

You're welcome-and the next thread is a new electric jacket thread. I'm working on it between making dinner, goofing on SA and watching this perfectly horrendous Elvira "reality" show.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I got a 75m full sized dipole up finally about 30 feet above ground and in the clear, not hung up over trees or anything. Pain in the rear end to put up, but completely worth it. I used 14ga aluminum fence wire and stainless hardware in between it and the coax. LOTS of tension on the wire, but it is plenty strong, and I trimmed it a little high so as it stretches, it should go dead on where I want it (centered around 3650).

I've decided that about $1000 of my tax credit next year (I bought a house) is going towards a 40 foot tower. Hopefully, anyways.

That should pay for the tower and shipping, then I just need to get the foundation and buy a buttload of coax.

Bad news: I have RF ground issues when the laptop is hooked up. I think I may need to get a couple of transformers and optoisolators for my PSK31 interface.

The Jizzer
Mar 19, 2003

...a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man.
Random question: I found a Radio Shack HTX-242 transceiver in my dad's things when getting ready for a garage sale. It's basically brand new (well it IS brand new because the box hasn't even been opened) because he had a tendency to buy poo poo and then never use it.

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what it's worth?

(Full description - HTX-242 2-meter VHF Transceiver, 45 watts, Catalog #19-1126)

The Jizzer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 7, 2008

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

The Jizzer posted:

Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate of what it's worth?

(Full description - HTX-242 2-meter VHF Transceiver, 45 watts, Catalog #19-1126)
Less than/ around US $50, from a quick look around at eHam and eBay.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

Bad news: I have RF ground issues when the laptop is hooked up. I think I may need to get a couple of transformers and optoisolators for my PSK31 interface.

What kind of power are you running? One of the great wonders of PSK is the low power capabilites of that mode.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Gnomad posted:

What kind of power are you running? One of the great wonders of PSK is the low power capabilites of that mode.

The full travel, from like 0.5 watt when i can get through, all the way up to the most this old Icom can spit before I hit ALC, which tends to be right around 90 watts with PSK. The situation remains the same no matter what power level I use.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
KB9WSA checking in.

Back before I got my first cellphone, I had some ham gear. I was in with the Motorola crowd, so my first two radios were some 300 series janitor radio on 440. I ended up trading that for a HT1000. Non agile radios are fun. Especially when you don't own programming gear.

On my first visit to the Dayton Hamvention, I picked up a Yaesu FT-90r. My Focus still has two antennas sitting on the top. I sold it not that long after. I did get some good use out of it.

I got a bit of a wish to get a FT-90r again... but they seem to be gone from the market. That's a little disturbing. The only one on ebay is broken. :-)

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
Updated the OP last night to add the recent thread check-ins / upgrades. We've officially passed 50 hams!

So, how's everyone doing? Three new members in my local club passed their Tech exams this past weekend, with another couple upgrading! :woop: Fresh meat is always cause for celebration...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I finally got enough wire up high enough that 75m ragchew is somewhat doable...

Last night, landed my first checkin with the Hi Fivers on 3908, very nice group of fellas who welcomed me with open arms (mics?). I was pushing good signal all across the midwest with no real nulls, which is exactly what I wanted this low dipole to do.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

McRib Sandwich posted:

So, how's everyone doing? Three new members in my local club passed their Tech exams this past weekend, with another couple upgrading! :woop: Fresh meat is always cause for celebration...
I don't remember if I posted this in the thread yet and :effort: , but I got the ARRL Extra Class Manual in the mail last week (with my copy of Passport 2009)... so much math :sigh: , don't know if I'll ever remember all of the formulas.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
It may or may not be that bad, I think I only missed getting Extra by about 10 questions last year, and I never even looked at the Extra question pool beforehand.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Here's something out of left-center field: if you watch the show Storm Chasers on Discovery, the driver of the TIV/TIV2 is a ham! (He only gives his call in his sig, but it's an interesting post nonetheless.)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Also, did anyone here take part in the FMT? I'm pissed because I originally misread the date to be tomorrow, but it was tonight and I had dart league.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Well, I don't have my license yet, but I did finish reading this thread! I've been interested in amateur radio for a couple of months now - just recently found this thread and have been reading it.

I'm going for my technician and general at the same time, just studying using the online practice tests. The tech material is pretty drat simple to me, the general not so much, but it's not too bad.

I can't wait to post my call sign!

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
N1VYF (extra class) checking in.

I've been licensed since I was ...12? I'm now 25. I've operated...maybe 5 times in those years outside of a couple of field days I participated in. I'd love to do more, but apartment living as well as schooling have taken up most of my time. Perhaps once I move into a house I'll set up a proper setup and get some real ham time in.

lord1234 fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Nov 13, 2008

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

Well, I don't have my license yet, but I did finish reading this thread! I've been interested in amateur radio for a couple of months now - just recently found this thread and have been reading it.

I'm going for my technician and general at the same time, just studying using the online practice tests. The tech material is pretty drat simple to me, the general not so much, but it's not too bad.

I can't wait to post my call sign!

Study a bit and take the Extra if you pass Tech and General (note that you'll have to wait till they grade your Tech test to take the General, and grade the General before you take Extra). You don't pay any more money, and you will be the hit of the test session if you go zero to Extra in one sitting.

It's worth a shot! Plus, then, you don't have to sit there with the band chart saying "can I talk to this dude?"

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

Study a bit and take the Extra if you pass Tech and General (note that you'll have to wait till they grade your Tech test to take the General, and grade the General before you take Extra). You don't pay any more money, and you will be the hit of the test session if you go zero to Extra in one sitting.

It's worth a shot! Plus, then, you don't have to sit there with the band chart saying "can I talk to this dude?"

Seconding this - At least study with the intent to get the General. It looks overwhelming at first, but you can learn everything to pass the General.

I passed it by printing the test question pool and keeping the printout by the porcelain thrown. Any time I had to use the restroom, I'd pull out the printout and read a few pages.

Getting the General license is pretty handy. Whenever I do radio experiments with my Extra-class license holder buddy, I don't need to worry that much about what bands I can be on. Extra gets you a few extra slivers of extra frequencies permissions here and there, but with General you don't need to worry too much.

In conclusion, try for at least the General, don't get nervous on testing day (trust me, the examiners really want you to pass), and good luck! :)

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.
Yeah, definitely aim for General. KB6NU's self study guides are awesome and helped me pass last month. He makes easy to read paragraphs out of the questions & answers like this:

The Study Guide posted:

As noted earlier, placing two inductors closely together may cause unwanted mutual inductance. One reason why it might be important to minimize the mutual inductance between two inductors is to reduce or eliminate unwanted coupling. Two solenoid inductors should be placed with their winding axes at right angles to each another so as to minimize their mutual inductance.

Download the PDFs here: http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Yes, of course I'm going for the general - it's not that difficult overall.

I'm studying mostly the general material and then taking a random practice exam of technician in between. So far my combined average is 82.2% and that's before I study the ones I got wrong; I think I should be in good shape to pass the tech and general exam.

(I use no reference while taking each practice exam, and only a pen and paper to do the ohm's law stuff... When I get one wrong I look it up, but, the scores for each test in order on QRZ's tests sequentially I keep track of.)

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 14, 2008

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

You'll be saying WOW! every time you use this towel!
I have a Yaesu VX-7R and the usb cable to connect it to my computer, is there any interesting use for this other than programming it with VX-7 commander? I was hoping that there would be some way that I could control the radio or decode packet/aprs. Thanks!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Nah, that radio's likely program-only - not many handhelds can be _operated_ via computer, just programmed. It kind of sucks (though I can control my 396, it is neat but completely redundant)

Packet/APRS can be decoded with a very simple mono 1/8" cable from the earphone jack to your sound card line in, and a package like AGW Packet Engine (warning, programmed by idiots). Two-way with push to talk is a little more complex, but still less than $20 in parts from rat shack.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just got back from taking the test. Passed Tech, missed General by two. Having done no studying except a few runs through the AA9PW practice test I'm pretty happy with that. I'll be checking the FCC daily until I see my name pop up.

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

^^^ Congratulations!! Tech is better than nothing, I should really make an effort to get General at some point soon.

Jonny 290 posted:

Nah, that radio's likely program-only - not many handhelds can be _operated_ via computer, just programmed. It kind of sucks (though I can control my 396, it is neat but completely redundant)

Packet/APRS can be decoded with a very simple mono 1/8" cable from the earphone jack to your sound card line in, and a package like AGW Packet Engine (warning, programmed by idiots). Two-way with push to talk is a little more complex, but still less than $20 in parts from rat shack.

Yea thats what I thought, hopefully over winter break and the summer I can get into packet and decoding weather satellites. I just need to figure out a good way to install my 2m mobile in my car.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

wolrah posted:

Just got back from taking the test. Passed Tech, missed General by two. Having done no studying except a few runs through the AA9PW practice test I'm pretty happy with that. I'll be checking the FCC daily until I see my name pop up.

Congratulations! Make sure to let us know when your call shows up in the ULS database so I can post it in the OP (unless you'd prefer not, of course).

ReD_DaWn posted:

Yea thats what I thought, hopefully over winter break and the summer I can get into packet and decoding weather satellites. I just need to figure out a good way to install my 2m mobile in my car.

Remember that because it's one of the submersible Yaesus, you'll need the CT-91 breakout cable to connect the HT to a TNC, unless you find one that was designed specifically to mate with that (annoying) 7R jack. Other than that, it's dirt simple once you have the adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReD_DaWn
Apr 7, 2008

McRib Sandwich posted:

Remember that because it's one of the submersible Yaesus, you'll need the CT-91 breakout cable to connect the HT to a TNC, unless you find one that was designed specifically to mate with that (annoying) 7R jack. Other than that, it's dirt simple once you have the adapter.

Yea I know, I have a yaesu 2m mobile so i'll probably just use that for packet, the 70cm band is pretty quiet anyway. I started with this when I was 13, now im 20, at least now I have money and transportation, should make it much easier to keep myself interested.