Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Stux posted:

Yeah well when I get my 8 it'll be in drop E which is the same octave as a bass so screw you :colbert:

when you get a bass sub octave E come find me. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Do you even need a bassist at that point?

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

hamaien posted:

theres basses that can go further down into C#. don't give up yet.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PolloConOchosOjos posted:

The main reason you mod it to series is that in stock form most people find it's really hard to get a mix that's wet enough to make it worthwhile to use with delay or something.

The fx loop can add a bit of mud when it's engaged because in its stock form it's basically a poorly controlled gain stage of its own. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now, you've got lots of playing around to do with dialing in the recto first. One thing you may also want to try is if you have an EQ pedal sitting around, throw that in the loop with a mild scoop on it with the same settings as you have above. You can get really stupid like that :rock:

I just found the schematic for the 3ch series mod-looks pretty easy. I'll probably try doing it myself.

But yeah, you're right-I'm more than occupied with the tonal capabilities of this monster right now. I think I may hold off on the gmajor and just get a hotplate for now for super awesome dry tone :v: I don't play much lead stuff anyway so I'm not dying for a delay or anything. I just wanted a nice chorus/delay/compression for my clean channel.

Demolisher posted:

Awesome. I go overboard though, My new sevenstring is in drop F#, and im getting a .165 gauge string for my bass. its just so heavy I cant help it.

Stux posted:

Yeah well when I get my 8 it'll be in drop E which is the same octave as a bass so screw you :colbert:

Wow you guys are nuts. I get made fun of for dropping my 6er to A :smith: On another note...possibly scoring a 7620vk. It'll be my first 7.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

hamaien posted:

Even if you find a bassist good luck finding an audience.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

:golfclap:

Anyway, let's move on. Who else bought some cool poo poo?

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

3toes posted:

Me, at the end of last page in the middle of this boring discussion about stringed instruments.

Donkeylips
Jul 15, 2002

UP THE PUNX UP THE PUNX UP THE PUNX

3toes posted:

It hasn't gotten here as the dude sent it out on Monday.

The SL-260 will be my first good amp, and I can't wait.

About the rust on the third picture, will that affect anything?

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
When we get old, I wonder if our generation's "Turn that drat music down!" will be "Tune that drat E-string up!"

SimulClassPower
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbotSD

Donkeylips posted:

About the rust on the third picture, will that affect anything?

No, rust on transformers is totally normal.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

hamaien posted:

Oh yeah of course, the bass still sounds different to the guitar due to pickups, amp etc.

DrChu posted:

Meshuggah :owned:

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stux posted:

Oh yeah of course, the bass still sounds different to the guitar due to pickups, amp etc.

Meshuggah :owned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMmsVxn8d4k :rock:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

This with the Minds Mirrors intro is probably my favourite Meshuggah "track".

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Stux posted:

This with the Minds Mirrors intro is probably my favourite Meshuggah "track".

Catch 33 as a whole as a pretty incredible experience from beginning to end. I'm not really sure how to describe it, but it has an incredible groove to it-oh, and the 8 strings sound immense.

SimulClassPower
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbotSD

It'd be really embarrassing if you were playing with Meshuggah and you mistimed a head-bang, it'd be worse than actually losing the beat.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

bunch of 15 year olds man

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I saw them play last month and they were DIing from their Vettas straight into the PA without using cabs, which sounded ... average. Also no-one up the front could hear the guitars because the PA stacks were waaaay off to the sides. Also they only played for an hour and didn't play New Millenium Cyanide Christ.

MESHUGGAH :argh:

edit: vvv Could be, they just had racks and no heads. I just assumed that you could get a rackmount Vetta.

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 13, 2008

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Concatenation posted:

I saw them play last month and they were DIing from their Vettas straight into the PA without using cabs, which sounded ... average. Also no-one up the front could hear the guitars because the PA stacks were waaaay off to the sides. Also they only played for an hour and didn't play New Millenium Cyanide Christ.

MESHUGGAH :argh:

I heard they dumped the vettas for axefxs

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

SteelWav posted:

Too much guitars in this thread.
Yeah

I really should stop spending money on one-trick cheesytoy synths and just get something decent. :unsmith:

SteelWav
Oct 11, 2007

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yeah

I really should stop spending money on one-trick cheesytoy synths and just get something decent. :unsmith:

Never tried an ARP Quartet, but my guess is that it can be fun for a while and it can be hard to use it right (looks awesome though!). But a Wurlitzer, that's one loving cool one-trick pony!

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

Ha, I wasn't lumping the Wurly in that "one-trick pony comment. The Quartet isn't really a "synth" in the usual sense, basically an ARP-branded copy of the Siel Orchestra. It just has Nintendo-ey Organ, Piano, Brass & Strings patches, though it is a lot of fun with effects pedals.

Uncle Caveman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 13, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finally got around to getting a soundclip of the '78 Ibanez. Just fuckin around:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

3toes posted:

Finally got around to getting a soundclip of the '78 Ibanez. Just fuckin around:

I believe that's what people refer to as "Funkalicious".

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Heh yeah, sounds like a P-bass alright :)

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I called every music store in the city looking for a ProCo Rat 2 so I could try it out in person, but nobody had one. But the last store I called said they might have a suitable substitute...

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

...so I walked out with a Vintage Rat :dance:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Thoogsby posted:

I believe that's what people refer to as "Funkalicious".

And thank you :D

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Synonamess Botch posted:

I called every music store in the city looking for a ProCo Rat 2 so I could try it out in person, but nobody had one. But the last store I called said they might have a suitable substitute...

Niiiice. Hold on to that one.

I've got a Vintage Reissue that I refit with an LM308 and when the levels are set right, it just rips.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

That's as far as I can go for now. I'm in the middle of moving and my guitar tech stuff is still at the old place, along with all the rest of the hardware for this guitar. The only thing I'm not comfortable with right now is that I have to drill the mounting holes myself, per the recommendation of the builder, Greg Bailey. I'm definitely going to take it in to a local luthier and see if he can help me out, make the proper measurements and make sure it's not gonna be lopsided or out by a few mm or anything like that.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Synonamess Botch posted:

You have something I don't have. Niiice! That is a killer sounding pedal...

I really want a boutique RAT mod, but I don't really know what's what. Anyone have an idea?

Also, Handen, I want an aluminum neck guitar so bad now it hurts. That looks killer. Although I wonder how the feel of the neck is going to be... Probably just fine, but I know that some of the original aluminum neck electrics had wood inlays to accomplish the same feel as a traditionally constructed guitar. How's it feel to you?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

Also, Handen, I want an aluminum neck guitar so bad now it hurts. That looks killer. Although I wonder how the feel of the neck is going to be... Probably just fine, but I know that some of the original aluminum neck electrics had wood inlays to accomplish the same feel as a traditionally constructed guitar. How's it feel to you?

It's strange. Firstly, it weighs a good pound or two more than the original neck but it's still not neck-heavy as far as I can tell. Secondly, I work at a factory where we extrude and fabricate architectural aluminum, so I'm almost entirely used to the feeling of the metal. It's sort of why I wanted an aluminum neck in the first place, a sort of homage to my years spent toiling in that poo poo-hole to make money to spend it on my dream of having a sweet recording and gigging rig... (and eventually go back to school, eventually.)

But that's all sort of yet to be determined, it fits snug into the neck pocket, so I sort of put it together for a second and held it up to check how it balances, but there's about a 1mm gap from the edge of the neck to the edge of the pocket (in comparison to the original wooden neck) that I might have to work around. So all in all, I'm glad it's here, but the hard parts aren't over.

Edit: Theoretically, I could actually take this neck into work and have it anodized black, but that'd be way too much of a hassle and I don't trust anyone there enough to not accidentally drop it to the bottom of a caustic acid tank to rot away forever. :w00t:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 13, 2008

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Better warm up your hands before you start playing though, probably pretty chilly at first touch :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Having a small gap in the pocket between the body and the neck is a Fender tradition! It allows for any minor adjustments you might need.

This came today, my '01 Gibson Special, but it's got what I would describe as an incredibly 60's neck. I really prefer a meatier neck, so it might not be with me that long for that reason alone. Sounds killer, though!

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

3toes posted:

What are you using to record? (app & line)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

What are you using to record? (app & line)

Here's some pics of my extensive, expensive, extraordinary recording setup:

For software I'm using Kristal Audio Engine

Very complex system of input.

I/O devices.

Output capture device.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

3toes posted:

Here's some pics of my extensive, expensive, extraordinary recording setup:

I/O devices.

Does the bar of foam serve as a mute?

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Minto Took posted:

That's not just any foam, sir.

I'll have you know that that foam is vintage aged foam, specifically from a beautiful vintage 1979 Sealy mattress ensemble.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Minto Took posted:

Yup. But just wedged under the strings like that it only takes off a little bit of the attack and overtones (the strings are new). When I want a REALLY muted sound I kind of weave humps up through the strings so it kind of covers them on all sides.

Once I get a bridge cover I'm going to cut it to size and just put it under the cover.

ZombiePeanut posted:

That's not just any foam, sir.

I'll have you know that that foam is vintage aged foam, specifically from a beautiful vintage 1979 Sealy mattress ensemble.

Actually it came in my Xbox360 packaging. And if anyone happens to have an Xbox360 box sitting around with all the original packaging... I'd love to have some extras :shobon:

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

3toes posted:

When I want a REALLY muted sound I kind of weave humps up through the strings so it kind of covers them on all sides.
A pair of velcro cable ties sandwiched around the strings works really well. Slide it back to the bridge for a little muting, slide it forward and it sounds almost like an acoustic bass. :science:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Uncle Caveman posted:

A pair of velcro cable ties sandwiched around the strings works really well. Slide it back to the bridge for a little muting, slide it forward and it sounds almost like an acoustic bass. :science:

Here's what it sounds like on the lakland with it kinda threaded up through the gaps between the strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I bought this bad boy last night. I know it's not the Boss TU-2 that everyone loves, but I read nothing but great reviews about it, and the price fit, so it's on it's way. Ever since I switched from my Zoom Fire-15 to my Orange Crush 30R I miss all the little features the zoom had...such as built-in tuner. It's probably just as well that I get a pedalboard setup anyway, so that I won't have to rely on cheap modeling amps for the rest of my life.