Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dAPER
Apr 21, 2005

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats
My poor betta fish Vinny has the ol' Dropsy. I've used Maracyn 2 to attempt to slow the process but it doesn't seem to be doing much after 3 days. She looks like she just might burst she's so bloated. I read the epsom salts can help but I haven't seen anything on how to administer a treatment.

I feel bad for her and I want her to go peacefully if possible and not be in pain. I know that sounds weird for just a fish but it is a living thing after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
If you have the stomach for it, here are supposedly humane ways of euthanasia for fish. http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=15737&st=0&start=0

dAPER
Apr 21, 2005

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats

Meow Cadet posted:

If you have the stomach for it, here are supposedly humane ways of euthanasia for fish. http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=15737&st=0&start=0

Oh god NO :cry: Fiiishhyyy!!!

quote:

Destruction of the Brain - Blunt Force Method

The Blunt Force method is preferred by some over the pin method because the destruction of the brain is so swift, immediate, and complete that it is very unlikely to make a mistake that will result in a lingering death; it is almost impossible to do incorrectly, which is a significant risk of the pin method. It is AVMA approved, and kills instantly. However, it is a violent, messy practice that can be very traumatic for the owner of the fish, and also has the added stress of removing the fish from the water. This method can be used, however, on larger species of fish with a large enough blunt object.

Ok, so again, any thoughts on the Epsom salts???

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My dog is a dork with long toenails.

Cyrus, my golden, does not like to have his toenails cut. Why I'm not sure. He doesn't mind his feet being touched and played with and we've never accidently knicked his quick or anything. He's just a big idiot pretty much. If you get the toenail clippers near his foot, he will immediately go into "You aren't going to catch me!" mode and runs around the house like a mad dog. This goes for any clippers, we've tried them all.

BUT, he will let them cut them if he is in the bath tub getting a bath. The main problem is that his nails are dark and the quick is impossible to see. This makes me really nervous cutting them since I don't want to hit the quick and make him afraid of getting his nails cut in the bath. I'd try a Dremel but an electric appliance and bath water really don't mix.

We've tried taking him to the groomers and he reacts the same as he does at home. No number of treats will cull his fear. And we don't want to have to pay for a vet visit just to get his nails cut. What do you guys reccomend?

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Cyrus, my golden, does not like to have his toenails cut. Why I'm not sure. He doesn't mind his feet being touched and played with and we've never accidently knicked his quick or anything. He's just a big idiot pretty much. If you get the toenail clippers near his foot, he will immediately go into "You aren't going to catch me!" mode and runs around the house like a mad dog. This goes for any clippers, we've tried them all.

BUT, he will let them cut them if he is in the bath tub getting a bath. The main problem is that his nails are dark and the quick is impossible to see. This makes me really nervous cutting them since I don't want to hit the quick and make him afraid of getting his nails cut in the bath. I'd try a Dremel but an electric appliance and bath water really don't mix.

We've tried taking him to the groomers and he reacts the same as he does at home. No number of treats will cull his fear. And we don't want to have to pay for a vet visit just to get his nails cut. What do you guys reccomend?
Seems to me like the reason he goes nuts when you try to clip his nails is that he knows he can get away with it if he does. If you really really want to help him, from home, why not buy a grooming table? You can noose him to the arm and then slowly adjust to him standing still like a good boy while you dremel away. I bought my dog bridge a year ago and she was the first dog I've ever had that was a true pain in the rear end to have her nails cut. Now I was doomed to buy a groom table anyway because of dog shows, but I can't imagine doing her nails without it. It took a couple months to get it to where she really stands like a good girl for me, but it's SO worth it. It just took a long time of working slowly, rewarding her with treats every time she stood still for like 3 seconds, praising vocally as well, and not putting up with her poo poo every time she tried to "freak out" or rear up or yank her foot away from me. She's almost perfect for me about it now though, which is awesome.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

He's learned that he can be an rear end in a top hat and that'll get him out of nail trimming. Its not the tools that are causing the problem, I'll wager. The bath may be helping a bit because standing in the water softens the nail up, but it would be a pain in the rear end to have to give him a bath every time you clip.

It'll take some hard work to reprogram him, but its certainly do-able. Clipping Jax's nails was a nightmare before I worked in a grooming shop. I learned that having the right attitude and consistency is 90% of the battle. Take him on a long, long, long run (better yet, have someone else do it so you're not tired for the nail clipping battle). Wear him completely out, and THEN work on the nail clipping. Make sure that nail clipping ends when YOU decide, not when Cyrus does. Its okay if you only do a few few nails at a time, its just important that you don't let Cyrus's misbehavior be the reason that you cut the session off early. It might help if you do the hard run + clip routine several times a week until he learns not to struggle. Positioning matters too, but its more a matter of what makes you comfortable and gives you a good view of the nail. He'll pick up on your nervousness, so be conservative but confident. You should also feel free to keep him leashed so he can't run away. Assmar has it right, that the key is not putting up with their poo poo. The reason that groomers tend to have better luck with difficult dogs is the no-nonsense attitude they develop.

Lixer
Dec 3, 2005

What does Depeche Mode mean? I like kinky sex with a scoop of ice cream
My boyfriend woke up this morning to his cat crying and a RED gummy eye. We took her to the emergency vet since it's Sunday and expected some high bills, but for a checkup and blood work we didn't expect it to be $420. I don't have the bill with me but he said the "checkup" portion was $110 and $60 for two medications.
That leaves over $200 for blood work and whatever surcharge they add to emergency work (though I'd think that would be included in the crazy checkup fee)

I know it was great to have a place to take her on a Sunday, but it just seems like something is wrong with the cost of care. Any insight?

Turns out she has high blood pressure due to diabetes and it detached the retina.... which I diagnosed her with the week of meeting the cat :(

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

Lixer posted:

My boyfriend woke up this morning to his cat crying and a RED gummy eye. We took her to the emergency vet since it's Sunday and expected some high bills, but for a checkup and blood work we didn't expect it to be $420. I don't have the bill with me but he said the "checkup" portion was $110 and $60 for two medications.
That leaves over $200 for blood work and whatever surcharge they add to emergency work (though I'd think that would be included in the crazy checkup fee)

I know it was great to have a place to take her on a Sunday, but it just seems like something is wrong with the cost of care. Any insight?

Turns out she has high blood pressure due to diabetes and it detached the retina.... which I diagnosed her with the week of meeting the cat :(

That is pretty normal to me. The e-vet here is around $100 for just the visit. It depends on the medication she was given. Sounds like it is something she is going to need to stay healthy. As for blood work, it can be extremely expensive... over $200 is probably exactly right.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
Does anyone here have any experience with exotic shorthairs? My entire life I've had rescue cats/kittens from the humane society and the pound, but I'm contemplating getting my first purebred. The exotic shorthair is not only visually appealing, but they are also quite personable.

Like I said, I've never had a purebred cat before. Do they have the health problems that many purebred dogs have? What about the cost? I don't plan on showing this cat, so it doesn't need to be top quality.

Does anyone have any experience with exotic shorthairs? What do I need to know?

mattdev fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 10, 2008

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Lixer posted:

That's about normal for an emergency clinic, as previously mentioned.

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
Were potty training the new pup and theres a lot of conflicting information on the internet as to how long you should be waiting for said poos to happen.

Im taking him out every two hours but hes just not going, (hes running around like a loon and eating stuff).

How long should i be waiting on average ? Hes 9 weeks old.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I got my puppy at 8 weeks and the first couple of days were iffy. We'd go stand outside for an hour and nothing, come inside and she'd go on the floor. So the third day I tried something that I'm sure not many would recommend, but it worked for us. I didn't let her outside at all but I observed closely. She was paper trained so I put the papers in the bathroom and would wait and see what signals she'd use before going to the papers. She'd sniff and circle for about two minutes then go to the papers. So the fourth day when she started sniffing and circling we went outside right away. Worked like a charm. She had maybe three accidents after that and that was the end of it. She's 7 months old now and we haven't had an accident since she was three and a half months. Crate training helped too. Now when she has to go she'll go and sit by the door. Except when she comes out of the crate when I come home for lunch or after work. We go outside as soon as she comes out. I also started saying "Go pee" so now she'll pretty much go on command.

I realize I was very, very lucky though. I expected the training to be much harder. I think the first couple of days she just thought we were going out there to play.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

pioneermax posted:

Were potty training the new pup and theres a lot of conflicting information on the internet as to how long you should be waiting for said poos to happen.

Im taking him out every two hours but hes just not going, (hes running around like a loon and eating stuff).

How long should i be waiting on average ? Hes 9 weeks old.

Mine used to poop every 2-4 hours or so, usually after eating and after play sessions. Getting the pup moving tends to get things moving, if you know what I mean. They also always had to pee after waking up from a nap. I recommend using a whiteboard and writing down when he gets fed, when he goes out, and when he pees or poos. Writing it down can help you see some patterns in his daily schedule, and give you some predictability about when he's going to have to go.

Yom!
Jun 27, 2007

About a month ago, I adopted a kitten. Most of the time she's really sweet, but when the becomes excited she becomes violent! clawing my furniture or anything that moves. My legs have never been so scratched up. I have tried various forms of punishment including squirting her with water, tapping her on the nose with one finger (she's pretty small) and putting her in the restroom alone with the door closed. She doesn't seem too bothered by any of these and I'm curious if any of you have had similar experiences and/or know of any more effective punishments.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Whenever the kitten gets the claws out, let out a short, high pitched yelp. It's what other kittens do as a "Too hard!" cry, and it should startle her enough to make her stop. Locking her in the bathroom isn't really an effective punishment because kittens don't really understand the "time out" punishment, so she's not even aware that she's being punished. When it comes to the furniture, you can always cover the edges and corners with either tinfoil or saran wrap - cats hate the feel of those and will avoid scratching or clawing at them at all. You can also redirect her to a more appropriate scratching surface by bribing her with catnip or treats until she gets the idea that scratching here = good.

Kittens are dicks though, so good luck with it.

Smam
Jul 31, 2003
A question that might have been addressed (but if so I missed it).

I only have one cat, a 1 year old giant male cat. He's a pretty good cat most of time barring the usual attention seeking cat behaviors like jumping on my chest when I'm in bed or biting my toes when I am watching TV.

But...he STINKS.
His body itself isn't the problem. Pick him up and smell him and he just smells like warm fur. He just leaves this awful disgusting odor everywhere. The couch smells funny, the whole house has a funk, and his litter box is an unholy pit of despair. I clean it every single day and it still is deathly by the time I get home. He isn't sick or anything but he goes to the bathroom SO MUCH that a clean box in the morning will be filthy at night. I've gotten so tired of it I've taken to just dumping fresh litter over the mess when I get home so I can REST for a couple hours before cleaning it again.
How the heck can I keep my tiny apartment smelling less like death???

I already have a system of cleaning the box daily, using spray (although it doesn't always help much), making sure the bathroom door is as closed as possible to keep the stink from spreading, and I just bought him a new covered box that might help too. Is there any secret to this? Am I missing something? It's winter here and too cold to keep every window open so I'm stumped.

porkchoppie
Jan 7, 2004

I will kill in a second.

Smam posted:

A question that might have been addressed (but if so I missed it).

I only have one cat, a 1 year old giant male cat. He's a pretty good cat most of time barring the usual attention seeking cat behaviors like jumping on my chest when I'm in bed or biting my toes when I am watching TV.

But...he STINKS.
His body itself isn't the problem. Pick him up and smell him and he just smells like warm fur. He just leaves this awful disgusting odor everywhere. The couch smells funny, the whole house has a funk, and his litter box is an unholy pit of despair. I clean it every single day and it still is deathly by the time I get home. He isn't sick or anything but he goes to the bathroom SO MUCH that a clean box in the morning will be filthy at night. I've gotten so tired of it I've taken to just dumping fresh litter over the mess when I get home so I can REST for a couple hours before cleaning it again.
How the heck can I keep my tiny apartment smelling less like death???

I already have a system of cleaning the box daily, using spray (although it doesn't always help much), making sure the bathroom door is as closed as possible to keep the stink from spreading, and I just bought him a new covered box that might help too. Is there any secret to this? Am I missing something? It's winter here and too cold to keep every window open so I'm stumped.

It almost sounds like he's spraying to mark his territory. Is he neutered?

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

I need more help from you knowledgeable people.

The flea problem is now under control (thanks again for your advice). However, prior to that, my Maltese's scratching was so bad that he ripped his little back open with his nails. I came downstairs one day to see blood in his white hair :(. So I've been cleaning his wounds and I filed his nails so they're not so sharp, but now he has this enormous scab healing on his back, and he keeps scratching it open and bleeding even more. How on Earth am I to keep him from reopening his scabs so they can heal? My only solution so far has been to keep a sweater on him to buffer his nails, and that's begun to fray and unravel, unfortunately.

Is there a proper way to bandage the scabs? Any medicine that helps them heal more quickly? I wish I could be around 24/7 to keep him from scratching, but that's just not possible. If I take the sweater off, he scratches himself bloody in minutes. What should I do?

Smam
Jul 31, 2003

porkchoppie posted:

It almost sounds like he's spraying to mark his territory. Is he neutered?

It's definitely not spray, we had a cat when I was little that sprayed but my kitty is neutered and nothing smells like pee or musk. It's more the litter problem, but the whole house smells like cat poop even though he doesn't track any and I've checked his fur thoroughly and he's very clean. In fact, the white parts of his fur (hes tuxedo) are the whitest I've ever seen on a cat.

It truly smells like he has the worst poop stink on earth, and is somehow carrying it all over the house. But there are no streaks or stains or anything at all to indicate that this is happening. Will a full litter box overhaul maybe help the whole house, or am I going to need to air everything out and Febreze all the time??

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Noumena posted:

Is there a proper way to bandage the scabs? Any medicine that helps them heal more quickly? I wish I could be around 24/7 to keep him from scratching, but that's just not possible. If I take the sweater off, he scratches himself bloody in minutes. What should I do?

He could have basically scratched himself into having a skin infection, or he could have allergies that are acting up. You need to take your dog to the vet and get him checked out for these things.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So I tried my own thread for this a while back, and it didn't really work out.

It appears that my 5 year old mini-dachshund has Multiple Disk Disease, and several weeks ago she lost use of both her of hind legs. After a couple of vet visits and some crazy medication schedule, she had surgery this past Monday, the vet removed the disk crushing her spine, or whatever it was. I'm at school, 400 miles away, so I've only seen her once since this whole thing started. She has a chance of walking again, but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this sort of thing.

Noumena
Mar 18, 2008

Lioness posted:

He could have basically scratched himself into having a skin infection, or he could have allergies that are acting up. You need to take your dog to the vet and get him checked out for these things.

Made the appointment now. I didn't consider that it might be an allergy, thank you. The vet tech I talked with agrees that this might be the case.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Smam posted:

It's definitely not spray, we had a cat when I was little that sprayed but my kitty is neutered and nothing smells like pee or musk. It's more the litter problem, but the whole house smells like cat poop even though he doesn't track any and I've checked his fur thoroughly and he's very clean. In fact, the white parts of his fur (hes tuxedo) are the whitest I've ever seen on a cat.

It truly smells like he has the worst poop stink on earth, and is somehow carrying it all over the house. But there are no streaks or stains or anything at all to indicate that this is happening. Will a full litter box overhaul maybe help the whole house, or am I going to need to air everything out and Febreze all the time??

It could be gas as well as poop. What are you feeding him?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Smam posted:

1 - Try a high quality food from the nutrition mega thread, the poop should be less stinky, and less of it. 2 - A little fan near my litter box does WONDERS for dispersing strong odors. 3 - Some litter has better odor control than others, time to experiment. 4 - He's only a year old, so he's still a kitten, and kittens stink.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Smam posted:

death poo

It's been said, but this sounds like a food issue. If you feed him crappy store-brand food, then he will poop a lot and it will smell terrible. Even some "premium" foods (Science Diet, I'm looking at you) contain a lot of corn which doesn't digest. Check out the nutrition thread for some good suggestions. Other tip: don't switch his food quickly or you'll get runny stinky poo poo.

Seventeen-Five
Apr 27, 2008
I adopted a kitten 5 weeks ago, and I am just curious as to how neccesary shots are? She is and will always be indoors, so I'm not really sure if I can justify the money. I plan on getting her a rabies shot for my own saftey, but beyond that I am sceptical, to say the least.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Seventeen-Five posted:

I adopted a kitten 5 weeks ago, and I am just curious as to how neccesary shots are? She is and will always be indoors, so I'm not really sure if I can justify the money. I plan on getting her a rabies shot for my own saftey, but beyond that I am sceptical, to say the least.

What exactly do you plan on doing if/when something happens to your kitty and she has to go to a vet for emergency? I don't think you really thought this whole money situation through, if you can't afford to get your cat what it needs, don't get one.

Seventeen-Five
Apr 27, 2008

MockTurtle posted:

What exactly do you plan on doing if/when something happens to your kitty and she has to go to a vet for emergency? I don't think you really thought this whole money situation through, if you can't afford to get your cat what it needs, don't get one.

Pardon? I never said I couldn't afford the shots. Why bother if it isn't something the cat requires? Thanks for your reply though...

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Seventeen-Five posted:

If the cat will be indoors only some vaccines become less important than others. FeLV (leukemia) in particular is spread by pretty direct cat-cat contact so it's not really needed for an indoor-only cat. Rabies would be for your own peace of mind, but I remember hearing somewhere that cats don't, or haven't been shown to transmit rabies to people, so if you are anti-vaccine you might be interested in finding more information about the risk of rabies for an indoor-only cat. In some places a rabies vaccine is required by law, though, so that could make the decision for you.

The one vaccine routinely recommended for indoor cats is the respiratory combo vaccine, usually called FVRCP or something similar, that vaccinates for a few different respiratory viruses. These viruses are pretty contagious and you can bring them in on your shoes or clothes, so that's what the vaccine is recommended for indoor cats.

Seventeen-Five
Apr 27, 2008

Chaco posted:

...information...

Cool, that's exactly the type of reply I was hoping for, thanks!

Olive Bar
Mar 30, 2005

Take me to the moon

Seventeen-Five posted:

I would say definitely get her shots. If she somehow escapes one day as cats tend to do sometimes, you'll want to know when you find her that she doesn't have FIV or something like that. Also, if you ever need to board her for some reason, you won't be able to unless she has all of her shots.

Edit: Must remember to refresh pages before I post :[

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Olive Bar posted:

I would say definitely get her shots. If she somehow escapes one day as cats tend to do sometimes, you'll want to know when you find her that she doesn't have FIV or something like that. Also, if you ever need to board her for some reason, you won't be able to unless she has all of her shots.

Edit: Must remember to refresh pages before I post :[

FIV isn't commonly vaccinated for, but escapes are something to consider when deciding which vaccines to do. As for boarding, I think the most important one is the respiratory one, since those viruses are more contagious, but it may depend on the specific facility as to whether they want the rest.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Chaco posted:

Rabies would be for your own peace of mind, but I remember hearing somewhere that cats don't, or haven't been shown to transmit rabies to people, so if you are anti-vaccine you might be interested in finding more information about the risk of rabies for an indoor-only cat.

Mind giving a source for this?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Unfortunately it was one of those things a vet I worked for while ago said he read, or something to that effect. Nothing I can find online suggests cat-human transmission is impossible, just that cats are the suspected cause of far fewer cases than dogs, or, to a much greater extent, wildlife. Here's the source for that:
http://www.mayoclinicproceedings.com/inside.asp?AID=552&UID=

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Chaco posted:

FIV isn't commonly vaccinated for, but escapes are something to consider when deciding which vaccines to do. As for boarding, I think the most important one is the respiratory one, since those viruses are more contagious, but it may depend on the specific facility as to whether they want the rest.

The other thing to consider is that when you take your cat to the vet, she'll be around other cats in the waiting room. What if one of those cats is FIV+ and your cat isn't vaccinated? Honestly, it's usually better to be safe when considering whether or not to vaccinate. The vast majority of animals don't have vaccine reactions.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

GoreJess posted:

The other thing to consider is that when you take your cat to the vet, she'll be around other cats in the waiting room. What if one of those cats is FIV+ and your cat isn't vaccinated? Honestly, it's usually better to be safe when considering whether or not to vaccinate. The vast majority of animals don't have vaccine reactions.

My point was that FIV isn't usually vaccinated for regardless of whether or not the cat will be around other cats. The three big ones with cats are FeLV, Rabies, and FVRCP.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GoreJess posted:

If one of the other cats at the vet is FIV+ there is next to no chance your cat will get it because FIV is transmitted through deep bite wounds or from mother to kitten.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

RazorBunny posted:

If one of the other cats at the vet is FIV+ there is next to no chance your cat will get it because FIV is transmitted through deep bite wounds or from mother to kitten.

I think I got my vaccines confused, sorry. Either way, the guy needs to get his cat vaccinated for rabies at the very least.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

Seventeen-Five posted:

Pardon? I never said I couldn't afford the shots. Why bother if it isn't something the cat requires? Thanks for your reply though...

Sorry, reading back over this today I realize I was overly bitchy. I had about 5 too many experiences with idiots regarding animals yesterday so when I read "I'm not really sure if I can justify the money" and that you were "skeptical" on shots, I took it as you being idiotic and trying to avoid shots rather than doing your homework on what they all were for, and my brain went onto crazy mode. I hope you enjoy your kitty :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamurai
Oct 24, 2008

We got a dauchsund recently, rescued from a pet shelter. He wasn't abused in his previous home, which is what makes this habit so weird. There are times when we call him, and he will simply stand still, stare at you and make incredibly high pitched yelps, for no reason. there seems to be no pattern to this and I can't tell why he does it. can anyone offer some advice ?