Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

I Are Internet posted:

I would stick with your website email. I feel that using your school address is the same as using hotmail or yahoo. If you don't like your website domain anymore, get a new one that's more professional and reflects you better.
[redacted for privacy, sorry]

Zurich fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Zurich posted:

I just realised I have jongold.co.uk registered
There's really no reason to go with anything beyond what you already have, unless you intend to start up a freelance or personal business. Having your name in the url is one of the most common portfolio site themes I've seen so far.

Really quick, can someone give me an opinion of the current setup I have for my portfolio site? Still plenty of dead links to go around, but I'm still working on those.

KittenofDoom fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 22, 2008

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008
[redacted]

Zurich fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 2, 2011

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Yeet posted:

Cool, thanks. What about music going along with your reel, is it frowned upon if you don't have the right to use it or can you just use whatever you want?

Noo, no copyright violations. Only use music you have the rights to, but don't worry too much if you don't have music. Those bells and whistles aren't what people are looking for as much as a demonstration of your technical skills. If you really want or need music, your local bars are full of fledgling acts who'd be thrilled to lend you the rights to their songs in exchange for credit and beer money. The phrase "I'll be sending this out to movie producers" makes all kinds of miracles happen, I've found.

akanekun
Apr 5, 2008

KittenofDoom posted:

Really quick, can someone give me an opinion of the current setup I have for my portfolio site? Still plenty of dead links to go around, but I'm still working on those.

Looks good, you just need a link on the side that says "resume" specifically for the retarded HR people. Not kidding about that, you have to be really explicit with those guys.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've got a bit of a problem and I don't quite know where to start looking to deal with it.

Right now I am looking for an internship for my next (last) semester of college. Normally a student in my situation would go though the English Department internship coordinator to find one, they have a big list of possible internships that various companies and nonprofits offer direct to the school for students, but I commute to school and really can't be driving all the way down to the Metro Detroit area from Flint (Michigan) for an internship. Just commuting to school is a strain enough already.

I don't really know where to begin looking for internships in the Flint area. I think I would prefer a non-profit organization, but right now I'd really just like to figure out what options I have.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Does anyone here have an opinion of Full Sail University? I was specifically wondering about their computer animation course.

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
There was an Ask/Tell thread about it a month or two ago. Most people seemed to think it was a waste of money.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Atarian posted:

Does anyone here have an opinion of Full Sail University? I was specifically wondering about their computer animation course.

They kept sending me stuff in the mail 2 years after I enrolled at UL. I got a bad feeling from them anyways. They seemed like a sham.

Steve's Guest
Dec 11, 2003

by Fragmaster
Would anybody care to recommend me some essential books for design? I'm pretty disenchanted with my university program and am looking to expand independently. Anything would probably be helpful :)

Steve's Guest fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 29, 2008

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
One design book I found particularly useful and interesting is Universal Principles of Design by Lidwell, Holden, and Bulter. We used it for one of our design courses, and it's proven to be quite interesting and useful. The book is set up so that it's really easy to use as reference, defines the principles very clearly, it's illustrated, and just really interesting to browse through.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Atarian posted:

My brother went through the programming course, he's currently working at Neversoft and bringing in a pretty drat good salary.

He busted his rear end though, it's a really fast-paced program and not hard to fall behind in. You're basically doing the equivalent of a four-year degree in two and a half years or so, the school's open 24 hours a day and your classes rotate on a monthly basis. It seemed to work pretty well for him but I remember him complaining afterward that while they said all along they'd help him get a good job after graduation, all the prospects they brought up were fairly lovely, and he couldn't really rely on their career services.

I visited him down there a couple times, the school is perfectly legit, it's expensive as gently caress, but apparently graduates (at least in programming) are fairly sought after from there.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 29, 2008

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

Steve's Guest posted:

Would anybody care to recommend me some essential books for design? I'm pretty disenchanted with my university program and am looking to expand independently. Anything would probably be helpful :)
Robin Dodd - From Gutenberg to Opentype
Josef Muller-Brockmann - Grid Systems in Graphic Design

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

SHORT STORY:

Holy crap mid-20's amateur photographer wants to go pro but doesn't know how and isn't sure if he's got the talent!

LONG STORY:

I slowly graduated from college with a BA in Communications (poo poo yeah) a couple of years ago and for about 4 years I held jobs at television stations. I got out of it about a year ago to get out of a boring office job to shoot yearbook photos for a local company. Yep, that's right, I was the picture man on picture day shooting 500 loud rear end in a top hat kids. While the change of pace was refreshing at first, I began to hate it and just last week was fired for a lousy attitude on the job.

What I took away from that, though, was to be tangentially exposed to the "real" photographic community and it inspired me to get a "real" photography job or at least try to break into freelance or commercial photography. I know it should take a while but I really don't know how to go about it.

It's very frustrating because I know I have to both work on my skills by myself and figure out how to get into the business pretty much at the same time. I've been an amateur photographer for about 5 years now, and This is what I've accomplished so far. I know I'm not up to professional quality yet. I'm not one to get an expensive camera and then go to a place like the photo-a-day thread and say LOOK GUYS HERE IS MY DOG DO YOU THINK I AM A GOOD PICTURE TAKER? I'm practicing but frankly I'm embarrassed by my photos' shortfalls. I'm also not a creative person by nature and have to work very hard at trying to be so. This unease hinders me when it comes to going out and finding odd jobs. Plus, I don't exactly live in a big enough city where there are a lot of opportunities for what I'm doing (Mobile, Alabama, look it up) so there's a question of whether I should move. So, after all that, what should I do to break in?

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't know if this is exactly the right thread for this, but I don't want to post a new one over something so small.

I'm currently in college and a couple of the local area bars and lounges have photography and art hanging around from locals. I talked to a kid who paints (really abstract stuff, not professionally trained -- he's like a Psych major and never took classes) and he was getting a couple of his pieces in a cafe down the street.

I'm secure enough in some of my photography, as I've gotten local awards and covers; but want to increase my exposure here locally. And just spark some new fun into my hobby. So my question is: is there a proper protocol for going about getting some photos on display at local cafes, bars, lounges, etc.?

Thanks guys :cheers:

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

No. 9 posted:

I'm secure enough in some of my photography, as I've gotten local awards and covers; but want to increase my exposure here locally. And just spark some new fun into my hobby. So my question is: is there a proper protocol for going about getting some photos on display at local cafes, bars, lounges, etc.?

Bring your portfolio and ask to talk to a manager. They'll probably be the person who handles that stuff, but if not, they'll point you towards who is. Leave your business card with whoever you speak with. Good luck!

ButteryNoodles
Jul 18, 2006
Deliciously satisfactory.
I have a job interview this afternoon for a Web Marketing Assistant. While I managed to glean a lot from the job description and looking around online (a lot of SEO, search engine reports, and other fun ranking stuff), I was wondering if anyone has worked in Web Marketing and can give me a personalized run down of what's involved.

Edit: To give you more information, I'm coming from a front-end development background, and this will be a position at a design and marketing firm. Not working in-house to expand an already established brand.

Hamelin posted:

My brother went through the programming course, he's currently working at Neversoft and bringing in a pretty drat good salary.

He busted his rear end though, it's a really fast-paced program and not hard to fall behind in. You're basically doing the equivalent of a four-year degree in two and a half years or so, the school's open 24 hours a day and your classes rotate on a monthly basis. It seemed to work pretty well for him but I remember him complaining afterward that while they said all along they'd help him get a good job after graduation, all the prospects they brought up were fairly lovely, and he couldn't really rely on their career services.

I visited him down there a couple times, the school is perfectly legit, it's expensive as gently caress, but apparently graduates (at least in programming) are fairly sought after from there.

Is Full Sail finally accredited?

ButteryNoodles fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 11, 2008

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Hi guys, I'm curious if anyone has any insight on MCAD's BFA programs. My sister is interested in going there, probably for illustration or animation.

I understand art school is what you make of it, and I do feel like MCAD has a better feel for the industry than, say the U of MN. I guess my main concern is: are the programs at MCAD strong enough to be worth the $120k tuition price-tag? If she's going to spend that much, should she be applying at SCAD/etc as well? A friend of mine is $75k+ in debt and working retail after art school, so I am a little skeptical.

What kind of jobs could a degree in illustration lead to?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ButteryNoodles posted:

Is Full Sail finally accredited?

Apparently. My best bud is there right now finishing up his bachelor's, so I'll ask him for some more info on it.

But word of warning to everyone out there: Fullsail is only good if you go there and work your rear end off. Apparently their game programming & music industry programs are top notch, but the rest is so-so. Last time I was down to visit I met a bunch of grads who had horrible portfolios and little if no skill because they slacked off but eventually got pushed through to graduation anyway. Not that this is unheard of for art schools, but Fullsail seems to be the definition of it.

If you're going there for a design degree, you really have to be a self starter. For example, my friend's last two classes: developmental psychology, and logo design. Logo design is great and all, but basically they had a month to sit around and do jack (with little or no teaching of the background and theory involved), and then at the end they turned in a personal mark. Developmental psychology... apparently all they did was sit around and watch movies.

So be warned. If you're going to Fullsail they definitely have the equipment, campus and professors to provide you with a great and valuable experience, but only if you're willing to take the extra step and work hard yourself.

... also I hear the same thing about career placement that was stated above. They don't offer much help, although they have a habit of taking the most promising students and offering them positions as TA's for about $20k a year.

aethiryn
Nov 12, 2008
(this is my first post, hurrah!)

(also, this is mostly geared for photo nerds)

I've been reading a lot of people requesting information on Art Schools, and I figured since I go to one I could respond.

I go to San Francisco Art Institute, which has pretty much had every major artist walk through it's doors and teach from time to time. We've had: Ansel Adams, Minor White, Imogene Cunningham, Ray Johnson, Andy Warhol, Annie Leibovitz, just to name a SHORT few. Keith Boadwee (the guy who shoots paint out of his anus) George Kushar (I'm sure everyone remembers the, Man Yelling at Cats, on youtube) Will Rogan, Hank Wessel, those are all my professors. I can legitimately say SFAI has THE best professors out of any art institution, because you are actually working with artists.

Just about every art institution is going through a HUGE transition right now. They are all suffering from lack of funds, and especially just about ALL the photo departments are switching digital. (which if that's what you want, awesome, but seriously, understanding film is imperative)

So, I highly suggest anyone that doesn't want to live like a bum for the rest of their life and actually wants to make it in a commercial sense, definitely go to a University. Georgetown has an amazing photo department, and surprisingly Harvard has THE best photo department in the country.

aethiryn
Nov 12, 2008

No. 9 posted:

So my question is: is there a proper protocol for going about getting some photos on display at local cafes, bars, lounges, etc.?

Thanks guys :cheers:

Well depending on where you live, you can get pretty good exposure. Don't go to starbucks or any commercial store, because they won't be able to help you. But approach a mom and pop store, or even a small chain store. (Tapioca Express displays art, but again it just depends on each chain) but yea like the guy said before me, just take your portfolio in and speak with the manager. Explain to them you are a local artist and express how if they allow your display of work, it shows how the business supports local art.(improve their image, gets you to sell work)

If they state that they have to get a commission from each print, DO NOT work with them. That is a blatant lie, and don't take any poo poo that it's private property and THEY'RE helping you...they're not. It's your intellectual property and you deserve every penny of it.

Also, I highly, HIGHLY suggest getting involved with your city for grants. You'd be surprised the type of poo poo that gets awards just because no one else applies for it. I believe, (and correct me if I'm wrong) that it's a federal law that within each city 2% goes to funding/commissioning art. Also, getting involved with your city will guarantee you money, but will also guarantee your exposure.

Stick_Fig
Nov 21, 2002

I can write more if that doesn't disturb you enough.
I'm a designer specializing in newspapers, and due to economic tough times company-wide, my paper (a free publication that was actually near profitability) is likely going to fold, and if not, it's going to scale back significantly.

On a temporary basis, I'll be fine. I'll have a severance package to keep me afloat for a few months. And I'm going to try for freelance work for now. I actually already have something lined up for a monthly basis – it's just a small chunk of my current salary, though, so I need more.

I want to stay local, but I'm not sure if that'll be feasible in six months. The market's stronger than others, but if it makes sense to move, I'm going to have to. I'm not tied to newspapers (I'd rather stay local than stay in papers), but I'd want to focus on publication design at the least, as that's my strength. I'm also a pretty solid writer and my editing skills are pretty good.

Someone who's been there before, any thoughts?

edgys
Feb 2, 2008
Hey there fellow creative goons !

I know this thread is getting full of younguns asking for help, so I'll try and make it quick:

I've been studying graphic design for about 3 years, shooping like crazy, but I don't know much (=anything) about famous artists.
As of now, I'm 20 and studying in order to become a project manager.

Can I still become an Art Director (i.e. web, video games or ads industry), without any kind of art degree/education ? Should I consider studying some more ?
Or should I try to work my way up to that job by starting somewhere lower ?
(as a graphic designer ?)

Thanks !

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo

edgys posted:

Hey there fellow creative goons !

I know this thread is getting full of younguns asking for help, so I'll try and make it quick:

I've been studying graphic design for about 3 years, shooping like crazy, but I don't know much (=anything) about famous artists.
As of now, I'm 20 and studying in order to become a project manager.

Can I still become an Art Director (i.e. web, video games or ads industry), without any kind of art degree/education ? Should I consider studying some more ?
Or should I try to work my way up to that job by starting somewhere lower ?
(as a graphic designer ?)

Thanks !

I find it surprising that your degree program didn't require at least art history 101 and 102, much less history of graphic design. Add some art history to your class schedule--frankly everyone should have a basic understanding of the history of art in any creative field. At my university art history classes were often full of architects, industrial designers, etc.

As to whether you can get work, I can't speak to that other then to say very, very few people start out at art/creative director. You'll have to work up from the bottom like everyone else. Top-tier jobs aren't just handed out to recent graduates since so much of the industry is about your portfolio, not your education. You need to prove yourself first in a working environment for real clients.

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

yuming posted:

Hi guys, I'm curious if anyone has any insight on MCAD's BFA programs. My sister is interested in going there, probably for illustration or animation.

I understand art school is what you make of it, and I do feel like MCAD has a better feel for the industry than, say the U of MN. I guess my main concern is: are the programs at MCAD strong enough to be worth the $120k tuition price-tag? If she's going to spend that much, should she be applying at SCAD/etc as well? A friend of mine is $75k+ in debt and working retail after art school, so I am a little skeptical.

I've taken a few illustration classes there (this was after I had graduated with a design degree from another school) and I had a friend that went there for design but draws comic books now.

Illustration tends to lead toward freelance which as my MCAD teacher said, "you don't get into it for the money." Freelance illustration is fun but it won't always be paying the bills on time, especially when you first start out. The teacher that said this is a successful childrens book illustrator. She said that thankfully because of her husband, she's at least able to get health care. Animation is largely 3D now and your sister will probably be disappointed if she's looking into doing just 2D. There's also not a lot of animation jobs around the area. If she does go to MCAD, stay the gently caress away from the "manga and anime art" courses. The school is extremely well respected in the area though. She will likely be able to get an internship or freelance work while still in school. If she's looking into the school seriously she probably already knows that Mary GrandPre went there. Well Mary dropped out after a year or two and obviously has done just fine on her own. She was given a degree years later in exchange for her giving some speeches at the school.

From what I saw, the school has some great teachers and graduates some incredible artists. I personally would not spend that much for an illustration degree from there though mostly due to how much you'll be making after graduation in contrast to what you spent.

edgys
Feb 2, 2008

mcsuede posted:

I find it surprising that your degree program didn't require at least art history 101 and 102, much less history of graphic design.

I guess the reason is, I'm in a project management school, so we were taught only basics before being taught how to manage a project (that could involve illustrators and/or graphic designers.). lame I guess...

Anyway, thank you for your input !

I have a few other questions about the art classes :

I'm living in Europe, but I'd like to try studying abroad.
Are there requirements for those 101/102 art classes you mentioned ?
Can I just take those and no other ? any idea how much time it would take ?

The Fomo
Jul 23, 2006

I'm currently looking to switch out of the theater design program at Mason Gross into the photography department. Is this a good move, or should I transfer? I know that the visual arts department at Mason Gross isn't as well-regarded as the other parts of the school. Regardless of whether I leave Rutgers, I don't want to study theater any more.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

yuming posted:

Illustrators are mostly freelance, or at least the ones I know all are.

FWIW, I got my BFA from SCAD about a year ago and have been freelancing ever since (I'm a photographer). I'm not getting rich or anything - I live in SF so the cost of living is really high - but I get to work for myself, set my own schedule, and I don't have problems paying the bills. I thought that right out of school I would either have to get a part-time day job or do a lot of assisting for a few years until I could shoot assignments full time but that hasn't been case.

No one gives a poo poo that I have a BFA (no one has ever even asked) but I would probably be serving coffee somewhere without the education I got. If you look at art school as 4 years to do nothing but develop your personal voice, put together a portfolio, network, and figure out a plan to find work afterward I think any of the larger 4-year art schools are good.

quote:

I find it surprising that your degree program didn't require at least art history 101 and 102, much less history of graphic design. Add some art history to your class schedule--frankly everyone should have a basic understanding of the history of art in any creative field.

Yeah, I had to take a poo poo load of art history classes and I don't know how anyone could work in the creative industry or be a working artist and not know that stuff. I had a friend who majored in art history at a big university and I took more art history classes than she did (and I didn't even get a minor). I think about that stuff on a daily basis, which is a lot more than some of the more "practical" skills I learned like darkroom printing :) .

yuming
Feb 26, 2008

dance dance dance
Thanks for the replies you guys!

I think it will be a good school for her, it's just so expensive- though if she goes PSEO for a year that should save some on the tuition, at least. It also looks like the curriculum has room for plenty of electives, so 2 concentrations wouldn't be a stretch at all.

It's also nice to hear having a BFA really isn't the end all be all, because I want to start putting together my portfolio, haha.

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....

Atarian posted:

The CA course is actually decent, but the school isn't very good. I posted this in a PHIZ thread yesterday but I think it makes more sense here.

Alright, I got a question for you guys. I am currently a Digital Art and Design student at Full Sail. I have learned a lot here, but I can see that its not all its cracked up to be. The way I look at it there are several problems with it.

The biggest one is that we don't learn any real design here. We learn all the programs, I know my way around Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, After Effects, 3ds max, Final Cut and Acid. I have also learned how to program html, css, php and actionScrip. But the few actual design classes we have had have been jokes. I can count the number of classes we have to increase our actual artistic ability on one hand and still have fingers left. Any improvement on our part has just been because we have been surrounded by good design for a year or so and its starting to rub off.

Because it's a for profit university, and basically a degree mill, it seems like they are graduating many people that don't know what they are doing. These people then go out in the industry and give the school a bad name.

You don't have a portfolio when you graduate, nothing decent anyways. This is because of the hosed up class schedule. We learn most things in a month, eight hours a day five days a week, where the same info would be presented over a semester in any traditional college. So we don't start getting a decent grasp on the program until two or three weeks into the month. By then we are expected to be almost done with out final project.

Unless something has cganged recently there is the whole "not actually an accredited university" thing.

Again because of the schedule many of the things we learn are rushed, and if you don't practice them on your own time you wont even know what you are doing next time you need to make something.

I guess this could be said of any University, but the only people who are half way decent spend most of their time out side of class working on their projects. If you dont spend another two to four hours a day working on top of the eaight hours in class your project will be poo poo.

A minor quibble, but if you go to Full Sail you aren't getting the college experience at all. All your friends will be your classmates. If one of them fails a class, to bad. You will never see them again unless you fail. You might have one non classmate friend, but they will still go to Full Sail, and they will be a dude. In fact every one at Full Sail is a dude, I think we have a 80/20 guy to girl ratio here. I am not a big partier or anything but if you are into that there are no good parties unless you get some friends from UCF or Valencia.

So anyways, that's my take on Full Sail. I have learned a lot sense I came here though. Moving on to my question though. I realize that I could get a much better education somewhere else, and I am planning on transferring to another college soon. Now that I know a bit about what I am getting into I think I can make a better decision this time. Are there any schools that you guys would recommend for a digital media degree? I know most of my credits wont transfer, and I'm cool with it.

I don't know a whole lot about the schedules at normal colleges, If I started applying for a transfer soon when could I expect to actually begin? Beginning of the spring semester? or beginning of the fall semester?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Diamond Back posted:

A minor quibble, but if you go to Full Sail you aren't getting the college experience at all.
What is this that people are always talking about anyway? I've been going to university here for years, and I still don't really know what people are referring to when they say they want to get the "college experience."

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Hamelin posted:

What is this that people are always talking about anyway? I've been going to university here for years, and I still don't really know what people are referring to when they say they want to get the "college experience."

Maybe you should leave your room once in a while then.

The "college experience" for me was living in a dorm that was basicially like a big coed slumber party, with the welcome additions of pot and alcohol. Everyone's guards were down, so you could pretty much walk up to any group and start hanging out with them instantly. People were always going on ill-advised outings, like committing a graffiti counter-strike in a crucial place on campus after a friend's ex-boyfriend wrote "guess who's a bitch" under an actually pretty graphically-pleasing stencil of her face... There was a lot of playing outside - college kind of rekindles peoples' interest in kid games like dodgeball and frisbee, and snowball fights were always cropping up in the wintertime.

In your major, there are the bonding experiences of staying up all night together to finish a project, cracking each other up smuggling food into the library during hour nine of your research paper cram session, and at a good college you'll have really engaged professors who become actual mentors to you.

I can't point at any one thing about college and say "no one is a complete person without experiencing this," and anti-college-experience people will complain that a lot of the things I just listed are stupid, but that's kind of the point. You're young and doing dumb things with other young people. It's a bonding experience, and it's so similar from school to school that it becomes a cultural touchstone that allows you to bond with people you meet as an adult. If you aren't making friends, you're not really going to college.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Hamelin posted:

Getting drunk at lunch hour of an 8 hour class on a Friday, going to a fried chicken place at 3 am that has bullet proof glass and getting 40s of colt 45 while listening to Michael Jackson and Backstreet Boys on the way to and from (we did this last night), spring break sledding in the middle of a Saturday night with all the other college kids, making movies about the death of Chartwells and writing Fight Club slogans in chalk on the walls of school buildings.

I don't see how you can't see it. When I graduate I probably won't be able to do a lot of that stuff anymore.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
How is that different from just having a healthy social life though?

I lived in the dorms, I went out a lot, hung out with my friends, we went on absurd midnight raids to the store, but I don't see how different from any of the stupid stuff I did back when I was in high school. It just seems ridiculous that I was paying nearly double for housing than I was for tuition for a dorm room and a lovely meal plan just so I had easier access to people my age when I can do the same, for orders of magnitude cheaper, by living in an apartment with a few of my friends and going out with our friends on a regular basis.

Maybe I just picked a school that didn't nurture that kind of stuff, what with it being a dry campus where about 90% of the student body commutes to classes. Hell, they have trouble giving away the tickets for the basketball games, and our team is fairly good (or so I've heard). I can see how all that stuff is fun for a year or two, but I'm in my fifth year of university, paying by the semester and driving down there three times a week and by this point I just want the whole ordeal to be over so I can move on with my life. At some point you actually have to focus on classes or you're just wasting your time and money.

Edit: Why is ultimate frisbee so popular anyway?

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 16, 2008

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Hamelin posted:

Maybe I just picked a school that didn't nurture that kind of stuff, what with it being a dry campus where about 90% of the student body commutes to classes.

A commuter campus is a completely different thing. The camaraderie of "the college experience" comes from that locked-in feeling you get when everybody lives within a block or two of you. You're living in a bubble, so you feel like none of the stupid stuff you're doing "counts," which leads to a lot of people breaking out of their shells. The difference between college socialization and regular grown-up world socialization is that you're not just hanging out with your friends. Any person you encounter during the day is a potential adventure partner, and your days are filled with "single-serving friends." Everybody is assumed to have at least the minimum in common with everybody else, so no ice-breaking is needed.

Hamelin posted:

Edit: Why is ultimate frisbee so popular anyway?
Weed.

Diamond Back
Jul 8, 2005

You dont always have to fuck her hard....
So what are some good schools for graphic design? Preferably ones that focus on the tech aspect of it?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Diamond Back posted:

So what are some good schools for graphic design? Preferably ones that focus on the tech aspect of it?
What do you mean the tech aspect? The "tech" is honestly pretty basic and also it will probably change 10 times during your career. What's worth paying for are good professors who will really help you understand design.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've been in negotiations with a recruiter representing a company looking for a Jr. Designer. His English is a bit bad, but he keeps asking for a "rate confirmation" after I explained the median wages for my experience. I explicitly worded my intent to be paid $25 an hour, and included documentation that showed the median salary for the position he was pushing.

Is there anything else he might be talking about?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maybe he's asking you for a contract?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I think he may want confirmation from your previous employers that you made that much before. But you should probably just ask him to explain.