Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

I've been needing a nice small mixer for a while so I got one of these little guys:

Aux send/return and 3-band EQ on every channel, pretty good for a $60 mixer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

So I just made my first downpayment on a guitar that looks quite a bit like this one

:dance: :dance: :q: :dance: :dance:

Mine is one of the last models made, with the pickup blend pot between tone and volume down by the bridge. It's also a mahogany body with a natural finish. Headstock broke at the place V headstocks always break, repaired functionally perfect though you can totally tell it was broken. Battle scars mark the guitar at numerous points. This thing was never babied. At some point, the strap button screw broke the gently caress off inside it and instead of doing all the "work" to get it out, the owner just drilled a new hole and installed the button right beside the old one. I can still see the part of the screw stuck off in the old hole. The tuning machines have been replaced with Sperzel locking tuners, the nut is now a brass nut (I loving love brass nuts and locking tuners so this is 100% awesome as far as I am concerned). Pickups are the originals, designed by Bill Lawrence and set in acrylic. Blade single-coil in the bridge, humbucker in the neck.

I am in love.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Fuccccckkkkkkk

I love the weird discontinued stuff from big names, I've wanted a Gibby Sonex or Marauer for a couple of years now. (I haven't had a steady income in a couple of months now in case anyone had noticed)

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Cyne posted:

I've been needing a nice small mixer for a while so I got one of these little guys:

Aux send/return and 3-band EQ on every channel, pretty good for a $60 mixer.

How's the SNR on those things? I'd imagine it's quite low, seeing as they managed to cram in so many features into a box for only $60.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

The Fog posted:

How's the SNR on those things? I'd imagine it's quite low, seeing as they managed to cram in so many features into a box for only $60.

It's a little noisy but not unmanageable.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I got it all cleaned up and re-wired except that the mini switch which was the only good part, decided to break on me after I re-wired everything else.

The finish polished up really well once I got the old stickers off.

I put speed knobs on it since that is what it would have left the factory with, it also had holes for a thumb rest so I put one on, but I'm not sure if I like it or not. It seems really close to the E string.

The neck plate is still missing a screw but it is just a cover plate the neck is held on by 3 Allen head bolts underneath it.

After getting it all set back up it is a great bass, one of the most responsive necks I've played. Some notes have a metallic ring to them which makes sense I guess.

Atomic_Amish
Aug 22, 2005
Spitting Cobra With Hepatitis
I am so happy right now. I just got my bare knuckle warpigs installed and they sound great.

I am also waiting for this:

A Laney Pro Tube 50. Not the AOR series. I had been looking everywhere for one and after a few lost ebay auctions, i managed to snag one for $330.It should be here tuesday along with a 2x12 cabinet loaded with celestion vintage 30s that i got for only 150 dollars. I can't friggin wait.

Zurich
Jan 5, 2008

Agreed posted:

So I just made my first downpayment on a guitar that looks quite a bit like this one

You already know this but that is hot as all kinds of poo poo.

(gently caress babying guitars!)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Atomic_Amish posted:

I am so happy right now. I just got my bare knuckle warpigs installed and they sound great.

I am also waiting for this:

A Laney Pro Tube 50. Not the AOR series. I had been looking everywhere for one and after a few lost ebay auctions, i managed to snag one for $330.It should be here tuesday along with a 2x12 cabinet loaded with celestion vintage 30s that i got for only 150 dollars. I can't friggin wait.

You better be postin' clips of them two there boy :colbert:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Don't be deceived by its appearance - it has several synth bass sounds in there that just kick glorious rear end.

Atomic_Amish
Aug 22, 2005
Spitting Cobra With Hepatitis

Stux posted:

You better be postin' clips of them two there boy :colbert:

I'll be posting clips when they arrive, hopefully, later this week. As much as I love how the pickups sound, I would be doing them a disservice by showing how they sound through my crappy 20w solid state.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zurich posted:

You already know this but that is hot as all kinds of poo poo.

(gently caress babying guitars!)

Amen. I was talking to the guy who runs the shop about how I was thinking about replacing the pots and seeing if I can't find an after-market pick guard that would fit, and he was all :psyduck: on me like I was casually discussing plans to eat a baby. Fact is, the drat thing isn't worth anything per se, not to a collector, or at least not enough for me to worry about it. I'm not buying it as an investment (although Marauders have averaged +11%/year since 2000 according to the rare Gibson site), I'm buying it because it plays like lightning and sounds like fire. Fuckin' a.

Got it halfway paid down already. I took my wife by yesterday to check it out and now it's officially wife approved, which is good, because this is the guitar where I start really wondering where I'm going to put things.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
In the last two months I did a fair job of rounding out my mic collection I must say:

2x Sennheiser MD421
2x Sennheiser MKH405
3x Shure SM57
1x Shure SM7
1x Shure Beta 52
1x AKG D112
1x Electro-Voice RE-20

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

The Wizard Beard, you wanted to know if the Epiphone Dot Studio can really do high gain music. Here's a clip of it into what is quickly becoming one of my favorite amp models, Amplitube Metal's Randall Warhead model.

What settings/stomps are you using on the Warhead to get that sound?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Leviathan posted:

What settings/stomps are you using on the Warhead to get that sound?

Here are the three Warhead patches I've made so far. I can't remember which I used for that clip, but it's one of them. Mind you that I typically make a group of patches for only one of my guitars, since I don't have two guitars that sound alike (on purpose). If these don't sound right for you, that's probably why :) The Dot Studio is a semi-hollow with hot pickups, a fairly unique sound. A friend didn't like that clip and described it as sounding like the tone knob was turned all the way down on the guitar. It was intended as a rhythm patch, but still, that's a pretty harsh description!

http://rapidshare.com/files/164467377/A_Few_Warhead_Patches.zip

Edit: Here's another clip of Guitar Rig 3, the Recto model. I made this patch for my strat. Trying for a thick lead tone that doesn't sacrifice articulation during quick runs.

I am not sure yet whose Recto I like better, Guitar Rig 3's or Amplitube Metal's. I think they both do a better job of getting the authentic Mesa Recto tone than Peavey ReValver MkIII - I think that ReValver MKII's Recto was better than the current one. Don't know what he changed, but it lost some authenticity. I think Amplitube Metal might have the edge in realistic Recto, but Guitar Rig 3 is no slouch and allows you to deep edit some of the parameters that you would expect from a physical Dual or Triple Rec. Amplitube Metal accomplishes some of the same stuff behind the scenes. I think that there is something to that distinction - Guitar Rig 3 puts everything right up front for the user to tweak with, which is a great freedom of course but which can get you into trouble if you start tweaking stuff without a lot of thought as to what it all does and how the changes you're making will interact with other components in the amp and in the signal chain at large. Amplitube Metal (and Amplitube programs generally) give you a different sort of control - you can swap out tone stacks, preamps, and power amps (a feature Guitar Rig 3 lacks), but you don't get some of the behind-the-scenes component-level parameter adjustments. Of the two, I actually think Amplitube Metal's model is more flexible, just because the differences you get when using a given preamp into a totally different tone stack or power amp are much greater than, for example, adjusting the Response control on Guitar Rig 3's recto to be more like a Silicon or Tube rectifier. But they are both powerful approaches, and have their benefits.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 17, 2008

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

Here are the three Warhead patches I've made so far. I can't remember which I used for that clip, but it's one of them. Mind you that I typically make a group of patches for only one of my guitars, since I don't have two guitars that sound alike (on purpose). If these don't sound right for you, that's probably why :) The Dot Studio is a semi-hollow with hot pickups, a fairly unique sound. A friend didn't like that clip and described it as sounding like the tone knob was turned all the way down on the guitar. It was intended as a rhythm patch, but still, that's a pretty harsh description!

http://rapidshare.com/files/164467377/A_Few_Warhead_Patches.zip

Thanks man, these are awesome. It's gonna take me awhile with the GR3 and AM manuals (or for that matter, information about amplification in general) before I'll be able to tweak anything in a useful fashion. I'm still blown away by all the options that are now available to me after 10 months of using only a line 6 combo.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Yoozer posted:

Don't be deceived by its appearance - it has several synth bass sounds in there that just kick glorious rear end.

Pretty much all of my FM synthesis needs these days are handled by Operator, but I have always wanted to get my hands on an old Yamaha FM synth as well. They just had such a classic and unique character that wasn't like anything else out there at the time. Nice purchase.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

Amen. I was talking to the guy who runs the shop about how I was thinking about replacing the pots and seeing if I can't find an after-market pick guard that would fit, and he was all :psyduck: on me like I was casually discussing plans to eat a baby.

Bryan Boots (Dazbootman on eBay) is a really great dude who'll make a replica pickguard for you if you send yours in. Communication is always great and he's really good about making sure you get exactly what you want. He's the dude doing the custom Jaguar pickguard for my MIDI guitar. Can't recommend him enough, really. I've dealt with Jeannie Pickguards (communication was hard with that guy, like, explaining my ideas) and Pickguards.us (really pricey and slow) and Boots does the best work, even though he only has a limited selection of colours and patterns to choose from compared to the other two.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

snappo posted:

In the last two months I did a fair job of rounding out my mic collection I must say:

2x Sennheiser MD421
2x Sennheiser MKH405
3x Shure SM57
1x Shure SM7
1x Shure Beta 52
1x AKG D112
1x Electro-Voice RE-20

I'd love to have even half of those. In fact I'd say you pretty much have my ideal mic set up.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Just ordered a bunch of these from Mouser:

They're going to replace the 40-year old caps in one of these:

At some point in the near future, I'm also going to replace the 40-year old RCA tubes this thing came with. I'm looking forward to a hum-free future!

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

DD5 #3. Its great not having to disassemble my large board when I need a DD5 for a smaller venue, now Ive got a spare. Plus at 65 bucks, it was a steal...

Wiggler coming up hopefully tonight

Shartjorts
Mar 17, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

I'm just going to post a teaser for now.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Shartjorts posted:

I'm just going to post a teaser for now.

Does your cat sleep on your headstock or something?

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Thoogsby posted:

Does your cat sleep on your headstock or something?

Yeah really that teaser's more like a queaser (cuz it makes me queasy (polish that thing)).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Also the winds, especially on your A string, make me nervous. Although it could just be the cat that sleeps on there loosens all your strings for you.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Vintage Gibson Flying V?

Edit: POSSIBLY A DOOFUS. Just saw the headstock on the quoted image.

H13 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 18, 2008

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

getting close :fap:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Question:

I'm looking for an audio interface and MIDI might be a big concern for me down the road, but what's the deal with the MIDI I/O on the back of this Presonus Firestudio Tube?

It doesn't look like the regular MIDI connection I'm familiar with...

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Presonus uses a dongle, it will come with a plug that has MIDI in and out.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
New tubes sound awesome. Set of Eurotubes for the HRD. Smoother, takes pedals even better and the drive channel is actually somewhat usable now. I can't get enough of my '84 Strat into this amp now.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

warwick5s posted:

Presonus uses a dongle, it will come with a plug that has MIDI in and out.

yep...its a breakout cable tho, a dongle is a thing you plug in the USB so certain software will work.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IGnqO7U08w

since waffleimages is not working

Love this thing, sounds great. Now all thats left is for me to get a decent fuzz pedal and a phaser...

Jarmotion
Jan 9, 2006
Lotek Ronin
Just bought a set of drums again after not playing for 6 years. Got the Roland TD-3s, and Guitar Center messed up and gave me the TD-9 stand, but they let me keep it :D. They are amazing, I've never used electric drums before and I'm still blown away by the feel and sound. I have to keep taking my headphones off to make sure I'm not annoying the neighbors like my old set when I was in highschool.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

If anyone is still wondering whether guitar modeling software is worth getting into, I decided to do a comparison last night before I hit the sack. This clip compares my Pro Tone Monster Fuzz, a relatively expensive boutique big muff-based pedal, to the Guitar Rig 3 Big Muff Pi. The Pro Tone Monster is running into my Rig Kontrol 3 interface, volume matched to my guitar's input level so there aren't any balancing issues. I'm playing both of them into Guitar Rig 3's model of the Fender Bassman (called "Tweedman"). No changes are made to the amp, EQ, or anything - the only difference is that either the Pro Tone Monster Fuzz is engaged, or the GR3 Big Muff Pi is.

Here is the clip, and the legend for which pedal is playing when.

Pro Tone Monster Fuzz 0s-21s; GR3 Big Muff Model 22s-48s; PTMF 49s-55s; GR3BMM 56s-1:00; PTMF 1:01-1:07; GR3BMM 1:09-1:13; PTMF 1:16-1:26; GR3BMM 1:26-end

Don't really know what else to say.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Handen posted:

It doesn't look like the regular MIDI connection I'm familiar with...

The same deal as the one on the back of an E-mu 0404 - you get a small plug that ends in 1 MIDI I/O. It's a matter of saving space.

edit: beaten, but mine's got pictures.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Agreed posted:

If anyone is still wondering whether guitar modeling software is worth getting into, I decided to do a comparison last night before I hit the sack. This clip compares my Pro Tone Monster Fuzz, a relatively expensive boutique big muff-based pedal, to the Guitar Rig 3 Big Muff Pi. The Pro Tone Monster is running into my Rig Kontrol 3 interface, volume matched to my guitar's input level so there aren't any balancing issues. I'm playing both of them into Guitar Rig 3's model of the Fender Bassman (called "Tweedman"). No changes are made to the amp, EQ, or anything - the only difference is that either the Pro Tone Monster Fuzz is engaged, or the GR3 Big Muff Pi is.

Here is the clip, and the legend for which pedal is playing when.

Pro Tone Monster Fuzz 0s-21s; GR3 Big Muff Model 22s-48s; PTMF 49s-55s; GR3BMM 56s-1:00; PTMF 1:01-1:07; GR3BMM 1:09-1:13; PTMF 1:16-1:26; GR3BMM 1:26-end

Don't really know what else to say.

Thanks for this :)

PTMF sounds "fuller" and "creamier" (Jesus, I hate describing sound). GR3BMM sounds a bit thinner. This may be the "boooooteeeeeek" of the PTMF shining through. Close enough though. I'd have to wonder if a PTMF vs a real BMP would yield the same results. The GR3BMM does sound pretty authentic to me. I love my BMP and play using it every day.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yeah, the Pro Tone Monster definitely doesn't sound like a stock muff. It has a lot more gain on tap, and its tone stack (as it were) doesn't resemble the Big Muff Pi's at all. The Pro Tone Monster's range of gain sort of starts where the Big Muff Pi's leaves off. The Guitar Rig 3 Big Muff Pi is actually pretty hot for a Big Muff, you can get some mean rippid speaker tones out of it if you crank the sustain knob. That's probably what you're hearing, by the way - though I only had the sustain at about 3/4th to match the Pro Tone Monster's gain of about half, the GR3 Big Muff Pi was already getting some characteristic fuzz spazzing going on. Pretty neat, actually, I'm glad it does it because it makes the Big Muff Pi model cover more range than the real-world Big Muff. I also like that it gives you extra tone controls from it's "+" additional options area (read the manual and you'll see what I mean). The Sustain knob, like on a real big muff, is really touchy and has a small sweet spot for normal guitar playing - having the additional, "traditional style" Bass and Treble controls on the "+" settings gives it more oomph.

I can do some more of these if folks are interested. I think it's time to make a thread, though. I've got enough ideas for comparisons, clips, and I can take requests - I don't think this thread is well served by my continued posting about the modelers.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Hey Agreed, have you by chance made any good death/thrash presets in AM or GR3 with the rectifier?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Guys, I'm an idiot, so help me decide. I just sold my Legacy in hopes of downgrading, but there's several options in front of me and I can't make a decision. The four are:

1) Squier Super-sonic, silver sparkle, about $400 shipped
2) 1976 Fender Bronco, all stock, aged white on black, about $450 shipped
3) MIJ/CIJ Fender Jazzmaster, red with matching red headstock, about $700 shipped
4) 1976 Fender Mustang, all stock, black on walnut stained swamp ash, about $800 shipped

I mean to downgrade, but... man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Jazzmaster.

Next!