Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Thanks a bunch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Part of Everything
Feb 1, 2005

He clenched his teeh and walked out of the study
I envy you knitters. I am knitting impaired.

Once I bought a learn to knit kit - for 7-10 year olds - and I fumbled and made weird knots.

I had a friend try to show me...and I fumbled and made weird knots.

I gave up on knitting and tried all of the above with crochet. Result: Same as with knitting.

I don't know what it is about it...I just can't do it!
So hats off to you who can, you do great work! :)

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Part of Everything posted:

Once I bought a learn to knit kit - for 7-10 year olds - and I fumbled and made weird knots.

I gave up on knitting and tried all of the above with crochet. Result: Same as with knitting.

Youtube videos helped me to start (my mom also helped a bit)--though you might have to look around for videos that show a good close shot of the knitting and also use light yarn. And then I worked on a couple of scarves, then took a 1-hour training session with a knitting coach to learn how to hold DPNs and start a sock.

:) You can do it too!

Janelle
Apr 5, 2004
I learned to crochet from a neighbor when I was a kid. For years all I could do was a straight line, like to make an afghan. I started working patterns recently and have had a few successes.

Knitting on the other hand I can't grasp. I bought a 'learn to knit' book and it seems that it takes so much longer to knit rather than to crochet. Even when I watch women knitting they are always going so slow. I gave up. Kept everything for it though, I might pick it back up next fall when both kids are in school.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

My knitting has gone through several phases: The felting phase, the lace phase, the bag phase, and now I'm in the scarf phase. Here's my latest scarf, made for a friend who wanted a long black scarf. Not particularly exciting, I know.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Part of Everything posted:

I'd still say I'm in the learning phase since my work has been remedial at best, but once in a while I pick a pattern that looks lovely and impossible, and that forces me to learn new stitches. I started out watching some "how to" videos on youtube and knittinghelp.com. Another great resource was Lion's website that offers many step-by-step illustrations for each technique. The combination of these two resources are what get me through my projects.

I've gotten back into crochet now, and learned how to knit in August. The personal pride is the best part, because everyone thinks it's so hard to do. The secret is that it isn't very hard at all if you don't psyche yourself out and expect great results on the first try ;)

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Midnight Sun posted:

I made a scarf:

I love the color change! interesting effect, I may have to try something like this myself.. hope you don't mind ;D
Did you knit that effect in? Or was it color changing yarn. I'm going to try to replicate it via double knitting... >>

Wish me luck.

philkop fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 13, 2008

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

philkop posted:

I love the color change! interesting effect, I may have to try something like this myself.. hope you don't mind ;D
Did you knit that effect in? Or was it color changing yarn. I'm going to try to replicate it via double knitting... >>

Wish me luck.
That's variegated yarn, it changes colors all the time. This particular yarn is Eskimo from Garnstudio (Drops). Go for it, it's fun. :)

I've made another scarf as well:

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
I like :D. I'm still relatively new to knitting (about 2 months self taught.) Going to invest in some more yarn pretty soon, do you find the fuzzy or textured yarn is any harder to deal with? I'll get some to try it out, just seems like all those little fibers would get in a tangled mess, then again, I guess sometimes that's the point:P And yeah I've used some "Variegated" yarn before, with less appealing results. I guess they have a particular gauge in mind to set up a consistent pattern.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

philkop posted:

I like :D. I'm still relatively new to knitting (about 2 months self taught.) Going to invest in some more yarn pretty soon, do you find the fuzzy or textured yarn is any harder to deal with? I'll get some to try it out, just seems like all those little fibers would get in a tangled mess, then again, I guess sometimes that's the point:P And yeah I've used some "Variegated" yarn before, with less appealing results. I guess they have a particular gauge in mind to set up a consistent pattern.
Fuzzy and textured yarn is definitely harder to deal with, I wanted to rip my hair out from all the feathers and weird thingies on that yarn! Just stick to "normal" yarn for a while, it's better for the sanity. ;)

In other news, I've finished Sartjes Bootees for my godson:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Midnight Sun posted:

Those are so cute! :)

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004

philkop posted:

Ugh, yes, fuzzy yarn is far harder (as long as you are referring to stuff like Fun Fur and not mohair). I have a difficult time counting rows with it, and if you make a mistake forget about ripping back because you'll likely end up with a knotted mess. On the other hand, if you do drop a stitch, it's likely that the stitch won't really go anywhere :). The only time I use novelty yarn like that is for stuffed animals where that kind of yarn makes sense, like a squirrel or hedgehog. However, if you combine the yarn with a standard worsted weight or something similar it won't be such a pain--you just won't get quite the same effect.

It's kind of funny because it seems to me that Fun Fur and its ilk are kind of marketed to beginners, as I've seen projects with it for the knitting classes at Michaels, yet I would never, ever recommend beginners work with it.

Choco Taco
Apr 15, 2002

Does your feline deserve a change in pace? Then try the Kitty Taco recipe on your cat and see if she doesn’t come back purring.

Midnight Sun posted:

Ahh, I did the Sartjes Bootees too.... what a pain my rear end.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronikins/2773186208/in/set-72157604925526451/

Your booties look way better than mine....

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I just finished my first hat (knit in the round) but it has this weird curl on the brim. The hat flips up and makes a round rolled brim, by itself. My aborted previous hat project didn't, but it was ribbed at the bottom. Any idea what would cause this? Did I cast on the wrong way or something? What gives?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Cuddlebottom posted:

I just finished my first hat (knit in the round) but it has this weird curl on the brim. The hat flips up and makes a round rolled brim, by itself. My aborted previous hat project didn't, but it was ribbed at the bottom. Any idea what would cause this? Did I cast on the wrong way or something? What gives?

Stockinette stitch always curls up ( :argh: ), is that what you used? Ribbing will eliminate any curling, so that's why your previous project didn't do this.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

elbow posted:

Stockinette stitch always curls up ( :argh: ), is that what you used? Ribbing will eliminate any curling, so that's why your previous project didn't do this.
Ooh, that makes sense. Yeah, it's stockinette straight through.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
My ridiculous hat is finished. It's dumb-looking, but it's the first think I've ever knit (other than a little scrap that I used to learn my stitches), so I'm proud of it.

Apologies for the stupid photo. I took it with my webcam quite literally the minute that I finished it. And I can't take photos of it right now because it's blocking. Or it's supposed to be. I'm not sure I understand this blocking business.

I got my invite for Ravelry today, and you guys were right, it's loving awesome. I've already spent several hours today browsing it, adding stuff, and just checking out how the site works. I'm seriously impressed.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That's a cute hat! Congrats. :)

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I've got a question to ask - I've been using Caron one-pound to knit a scarf for a friend and I'm almost done knitting, but before I mail it off to her, I'd like to wash it as I've been dragging it everywhere with me. The thing is, I don't know if it's superwash - I can't find it on the label, but I don't know if I overlooked it. Is it safe to just toss in the washing machine?

Nrapture
Feb 8, 2007
It's machine washable according to the Caron website: http://www.caron.com/color_cards/cc_onepound.html

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

...Never occurred to me to check the website. :doh: Thanks!

boobookitty
Jul 25, 2004
Caron's One Pound is acrylic, so therefore not superwash. It is, however, machine washable, as are most acrylics. You should only come across the term superwash when it is a fiber that normally could felt in the wash, like a wool, but it is treated in such a way that the fiber can be machine washable.

I just bought a bunch of superwash yarn from Knit Picks, their Swish Worsted. I'm making sweaters for my two daughters for Christmas, and since they are young, I'm not going to bother with something that has to be hand washed.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I have two questions for you ladies (I'm assuming this thread is all ladies?).

1) Does anyone use those Denise needle kits? I'm getting annoyed at having to buy a new pair of needles for every project, and that seems like a nice solution. I was thinking about asking for a set for Christmas.

2) I'm about to knit some fingerless gloves (so I can teach myself knitting in the round). I've got some...eh, cleaning problems, so I wash things obsessively. What's a good yarn to use for something that's going to go through the washing machine on a very frequent basis? Am I stuck with Acrylic? I've seen here that you can buy "superwash" wool, but I don't know if that still means it'll get screwed up if I wash it a lot. I'm seeing a lot of info about a lot of new types of fibers being used in yarn, but I don't see a good place to read about the properties of said fibers.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Mnemosyne posted:

I have two questions for you ladies (I'm assuming this thread is all ladies?).

1) Does anyone use those Denise needle kits? I'm getting annoyed at having to buy a new pair of needles for every project, and that seems like a nice solution. I was thinking about asking for a set for Christmas.

2) I'm about to knit some fingerless gloves (so I can teach myself knitting in the round). I've got some...eh, cleaning problems, so I wash things obsessively. What's a good yarn to use for something that's going to go through the washing machine on a very frequent basis? Am I stuck with Acrylic? I've seen here that you can buy "superwash" wool, but I don't know if that still means it'll get screwed up if I wash it a lot. I'm seeing a lot of info about a lot of new types of fibers being used in yarn, but I don't see a good place to read about the properties of said fibers.

I just pick things that use needles about the size I use. Also, why do you wash often? Cotton washes quite nicely if you insist on it going through the machine. If you just need to sterilize often, you can use anything plant-based with a mild bleach solution. If you're just dropping pasta sauce on your sweaters all the time or something, then you can just hand-wash pretty much any fiber.

Superwash supposedly will wash as often and as much as you want. There are acrylic-superwash blends that are very soft and will hold up nicely. Cotton is fine, and silk is relatively durable as long as you don't overdo it.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Pile of Kittens posted:

Also, why do you wash often?

I'm a compulsive hand-washer, which means that in the winter, I also become a compulsive glove-washer. I even put my leather gloves through the washing machine. Yes, I'm crazy, and medication doesn't help, so I've just made peace with doing a lot of laundry.

I don't feel the need to sterilize, but I do have a preference for washing it warm or hot water. Hand-washing is a bit too much effort when I'm going to end up washing something once a week or more. I guess I'll check out a yarn store and see what kind of superwash stuff they have there.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I bought two sets of bamboo needles off Amazon: circular & DPNs. One heavily dyed sock yarn colored my DPNs a bit blue, but I think they are really good for the price.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
I got a set of the Harmony circulars from knitpicks.com. The wood is kind of garish to my eye, but the cables are very nice and flexible, and I already had a lot of metal circulars in common sizes. They've worked well for me so far.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I have the Denise set, but I don't like it at all. The needles are flimsy and the cables are way too thick. Go for Knit Picks instead. :)

Bad Mitten
Aug 26, 2004
Intuition as guided by experience

guaranteed posted:

I got a set of the Harmony circulars from knitpicks.com. The wood is kind of garish to my eye, but the cables are very nice and flexible, and I already had a lot of metal circulars in common sizes. They've worked well for me so far.

I have the Harmony set, and I couldn't love them more. I already have every size in circs and DPNs but, I haven't used any other needles since these arrived in the mail. I have since gone on to buy the other sizes of tips and cables so I would have the complete set. I have heard that some people find them too pointy, but I like a pointy needle. I am seriously considering getting the metal tips, too. As a side note, the Harmony fixed sock circs are pretty awesome, too.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008
Hi, I've been lurking around here. I have a knitting problem, meaning I can't stop. I learned a few months ago and haven't looked back since. Let's just say my stash is getting to be a bit of a problem.

In reference to needle sets, I have the Boye set, and I'm quite fond of it. I think I will eventually get the Harmony set too, though, because I don't love aluminum needles for EVERYTHING.

In other news, check your local thrift stores, ladies! I hit the needle jackpot at mine the other day. I got about 30 pairs, all different sizes and materials, for under $10. I also like to rummage through thrift shops for scrap yarn (though beware of bugs) and trim.

Anyone here besides me find they really don't enjoy knitting socks? I've tried so many times and I just can't get into it. It seems like so much money and effort for something that nobody will see...

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Mnemosyne posted:

I'm a compulsive hand-washer, which means that in the winter, I also become a compulsive glove-washer. I even put my leather gloves through the washing machine. Yes, I'm crazy, and medication doesn't help, so I've just made peace with doing a lot of laundry.

I don't feel the need to sterilize, but I do have a preference for washing it warm or hot water. Hand-washing is a bit too much effort when I'm going to end up washing something once a week or more. I guess I'll check out a yarn store and see what kind of superwash stuff they have there.

Actually, the way I wash wristwarmers or fingerless gloves is to wear them and wash my hands up to my elbows with appropriate soap (very gentle hand soap like Dr Bronners works really well). So you can combine your two hobbies!

If you're on Ravelry, there is a plethora of mental health support communities. If you don't want to hang out with other super crazy people, the ADHD Knitters group is really hilarious and great for a laugh about general craziness (especially since ADHD is commonly comorbid with pretty much everything else ever).

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

I just finished my second scarf!

Click here for the full 800x536 image.

It's looking loads better than my first scarf and it was my first time putting tassels on something too, I just feel so proud of myself. Heading down to a local yarn store tomorrow to pick out some more yarn for my next scarf for a friend!

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

That's a really pretty scarf! I like the color. :)

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I made a hat for a boy :)

I'm retarded when it comes to knitting from a pattern, so I winged this one. Had to start over several times, but I was happy with the results. His head is freakishly big (two feet around holy poo poo) so I made it extra huge and unfortunately it doesn't fit him as snugly as he'd like.

I want to felt it down a little bit, but not too much. It's made with Cascade wool and the top part is Noro Silk Garden. Any tips? I just want to make it a wee bit snugger without making it small enough to fit his six-year-old.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I really love the knitpicks circulars I have - seriously the easiest cable on a circular needle I have ever used (and I've used some seriously expensive needles). The only thing stopping me from getting the set is that the smallest needle size you can get is 4 and this pisses me off for some reason. I want to use it for magic loop and stuff with teeny needles and sock yarn or something. Hmph.

I'm knitting even as I read this thread, I just started a Hemlock Ring blanket. Man, this is a pretty pattern. I'm already thinking of making a second one as a Christmas present.

Is there a goon knitting group on Ravelry? I'm on there but I basically use it as a pattern search machine, I haven't explored the other parts of the site much at all.

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

Is there a goon knitting group on Ravelry? I'm on there but I basically use it as a pattern search machine, I haven't explored the other parts of the site much at all.

There is one, it's called "Show me your Knits." It doesn't seem to get too much action, though.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Ok, so I'm an idiot. I took my first trip to a "real" yarn store (something other than a craft megastore) today. I knew I wanted machine washable, and even went in and asked with some help finding stuff that was machine washable.

Then somehow, after an hour of browsing yarns, "this is so soft and so pretty" became more important than "I can throw this in the washing machine" and I ended up with 80% baby alpaca/ 20% silk and 100% baby llama.

drat you yarns for being so soft and beautiful! :argh:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

Mnemosyne posted:

Ok, so I'm an idiot. I took my first trip to a "real" yarn store (something other than a craft megastore) today. I knew I wanted machine washable, and even went in and asked with some help finding stuff that was machine washable.

Then somehow, after an hour of browsing yarns, "this is so soft and so pretty" became more important than "I can throw this in the washing machine" and I ended up with 80% baby alpaca/ 20% silk and 100% baby llama.

Today I had a Yarn Snob Moment -- I am teaching my boyfriend's six-year-old to knit and she began playing with the cat by teasing him with my brand-new ball of Lamb's Pride. She's totally oblivious, just throwing it around the room and I'm feeling my sphincter tighten and I'm going "Wait Lily, that's actually nice yarn, take this instead..." and start looking around for some acrylic...

...and couldn't find any. I didn't want to be one of those annoying uptight people who get all up in arms when you touch their nice yarn, but I really didn't want the cat chewing on my Noro or Lamb's Pride and I just didn't have any crappy yarn around.

Curses.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Look Under The Rock posted:

Today I had a Yarn Snob Moment -- I am teaching my boyfriend's six-year-old to knit and she began playing with the cat by teasing him with my brand-new ball of Lamb's Pride. She's totally oblivious, just throwing it around the room and I'm feeling my sphincter tighten and I'm going "Wait Lily, that's actually nice yarn, take this instead..." and start looking around for some acrylic...

...and couldn't find any. I didn't want to be one of those annoying uptight people who get all up in arms when you touch their nice yarn, but I really didn't want the cat chewing on my Noro or Lamb's Pride and I just didn't have any crappy yarn around.

Curses.

I have an entire tupperware under-the-bed storage thing of yarn I bought before I knew what the hell I was doing. Too bad I don't have any cats.

I cannot believe it took me until just now to get the thread title/ravelry group pun. Shameful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardvarklet
Aug 12, 2008

Mnemosyne posted:

I've been going into yarn stores every week for months now, and I STILL do this. I'm making special tags for all my knitted Christmas gifts primarily so that the recipients have comprehensive care instructions. My teenage sister is getting hand wash-only mittens. What was I thinking? Oh, right, I have an obsession with Malabrigo. Practicality takes a back seat again.