Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Yeah but in the case of except: pass, you're implicitly silencing a bunch of exceptions like KeyboardInterrupt and the like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbradshaw
Jan 15, 2008

First one must nail at least two overdrive phrases and activate the tilt sensor to ROCK OUT!

chemosh6969 posted:

A python application for following the US primaries

edit: According to the Zen of Python, I'm right.

"Errors should never pass silently.
Unless explicitly silenced."
-- Tim Peters' Zen of Python

No, you are not explicitly silencing the error. You're just turning off error handling completely and implicitly silencing whatever error you're actually expecting. (Along with every other possible exception that you aren't expecting.)

Of the many pieces of advice you've been given on the subject, explicitly handling exceptions has been the most numerous.

e:f,b

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

king_kilr posted:

Guys, this: http://github.com/alex/pyelection/tree/master/models.py#L57 is why you shouldn't be using except: pass, because i don't have a loving clue what my own code does, or what the logic is.

In a busy workplace most python programers will probably confess to resorting to *occasionally* crash-mode boundary checking to get things done fast, namely something like
code:
try:
  x = y[z]
except:
  x = 0
That will pretty much always work, sorta, except its loving terrible, because there are unforseen things and those should NOT be allowed to work!. y might be some whacky iiteratating thing thats actually slurping off a database, and perhaps by smacking out the except your breaking some transaction handling. You are probably whacking keyboard handling (this is a big one when your dealing with a shitload of noisy data and you go 'gently caress it, just crash through the bad records , jobs gotta be out the door in 15 mins' and you run it and you cant even ^C out because you except:pass ed it.

Everyones been there, but it is considered BAD mojo.

What you should be doing is first testing bounds etc , and THEN access stuff. If you must just crash past something , then try and work out in advance what the error is, and learn how to use except to catch *specific* errors.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

ah, its beautiful-soup based webpage scraping. Yeah ok, that poo poo can get very messy and I can relate to 'gently caress it we are going live' motherfucker-style exception handling.

Lonely Wolf
Jan 20, 2003

Will hawk false idols for heaps and heaps of dough.

duck monster posted:

code:
try:
  x = y[z]
except:
  x = 0

code:
x = getattr(y, z, 0)

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

Lord Uffenham posted:

code:
x = getattr(y, z, 0)

This won't work because z is not an attribute of y, you probably want this instead:

code:
x = y.get (z, 0)
which uses the dictionary interface

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
If you're using beautiful soup still, try using lxml instead. You can use it to parse html and xml quickly, and run xpath over it.

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

lift your skinny fists like
antennas in germany.

Janin posted:

This won't work because z is not an attribute of y, you probably want this instead:

code:
x = y.get (z, 0)
which uses the dictionary interface

Which, of course, won't work if it's a sequence instead of a mapping. You either have to catch the IndexError or do the bounds checking manually.

tef posted:

If you're using beautiful soup still, try using lxml instead. You can use it to parse html and xml quickly, and run xpath over it.

Sure, except lxml can segfault with exceptionally malformed HTML. BeautifulSoup might be slower and not support xpath, but it's pretty hard to get it to crash. That's why you'd use BeautifulSoup in the first place.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

tef posted:

I'm not talking about the BeautifulSoup stuff, I'm saying I have no idea what exceptions I'm trying to catch, or what circumstances lead to those things.

Lazlo
May 1, 2002
Lately I've come to realize that I have certain materialistic needs.
I am pretty much a novice when it comes to programming, I have some experience with C++ from college, and a little knowledge of Java. I would like to write a program to help automate some tasks at work, specifically parsing out information of interest from our log files.

These log files are arranged in a hierarchical fashion, and I am interested in lines with the “[NUM]” tag, the descriptor, as well as its position within the hierarchy. The log files themselves aren't too large, between 10k and 40k in size. I want to be easily able to search the parsed results for specific [NUM] values, and display its hierarchical position. (The goal being to eliminate the current method used, a tedious task of doing repetitive searches in notepad).

I would be working in a Linux environment, and while I am not averse to learning a new language, I also want this to be something I could actually accomplish in my spare time. From what I've read so far, using regular expressions with Python would be a good match, in that it is well suited to the task and not too difficult to learn.

My question is, given the experience (or lack thereof) I have, and what I want to accomplish, would Python be the best choice? And if so, what tools might I need to get started?

Example of the log file contents I want to process:
code:
    (1.1)HAS SDE CONTEXT:Subject Class(LNX,13254)[TAG] = Person(LNX,121025)
    (1.2)HAS SDE CONTEXT:Subject Name(LNX,134945)[PNAME] = NAME
    (1.3)CONTAINS:Person Characteristics(LNX,1435934)[CONTAINER] = {SEPARATE}
        (1.3.1)CONTAINS:SubCatagory1(LN,189316-6)[NUM] = 3 no units
        (1.3.2)CONTAINS:SubCatagory2(LN,13177-6)[NUM] = 2 no units
    (1.4)CONTAINS:Summary(LNX,1216511)[CONTAINER] = {SEPARATE}
        (1.4.1)CONTAINS:CDF(LN,15255-2)[DATE] = 20070524
        (1.4.2)CONTAINS:Con Summary(LNX,134568)[CONTAINER] = {SEPARATE}
            (1.4.2.1)HAS SDE CONTEXT:Con ID(LN,4321-1)[TEXT] = A
            (1.4.2.2)CONTAINS:Con X(LN,457621-1)[NUM] = 151 day
            (1.4.2.3)CONTAINS:Composite Age(LN134346-5)[NUM] = 133 day
            (1.4.2.4)CONTAINS:LGT rank(LN,123647-1)[NUM] =
                (1.4.2.4.1)INFERRED FROM:Table of Values Citation(LNX,34567)[TAG]= XYZ

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Yet beyond each tree there are only more trees.

Lazlo posted:

I would be working in a Linux environment, and while I am not averse to learning a new language, I also want this to be something I could actually accomplish in my spare time. From what I've read so far, using regular expressions with Python would be a good match, in that it is well suited to the task and not too difficult to learn.

My question is, given the experience (or lack thereof) I have, and what I want to accomplish, would Python be the best choice? And if so, what tools might I need to get started?

Python's excellent for this. You shouldn't need anything outside the basic Python package (almost certainly already installed with your Linux) and the docs on python.org.

The other common choice for parsing log files and things is Perl, but it's a lot harder to learn than Python because its syntax is less clean and well structured. The only benefit (for this task) is that it has a lot of shortcuts built in so once you get good with it you can write regular expression code faster (ie. with less typing).

Lazlo
May 1, 2002
Lately I've come to realize that I have certain materialistic needs.

JoeNotCharles posted:

Python's excellent for this. You shouldn't need anything outside the basic Python package (almost certainly already installed with your Linux) and the docs on python.org.

The other common choice for parsing log files and things is Perl, but it's a lot harder to learn than Python because its syntax is less clean and well structured. The only benefit (for this task) is that it has a lot of shortcuts built in so once you get good with it you can write regular expression code faster (ie. with less typing).

Thanks, I'm looking through some of the tutorials and documentation. I do have another general question though. There are a lot of choices on editors, and debuggers and so forth, I'm currently jostling between emacs to edit, gdb to debug, and another window for the interpreter. Is this how it's done? It's ok for "Hello World", but it seems a little painful/awkward for anything more ambitious then that.

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

antennas in germany.

Lazlo posted:

Thanks, I'm looking through some of the tutorials and documentation. I do have another general question though. There are a lot of choices on editors, and debuggers and so forth, I'm currently jostling between emacs to edit, gdb to debug, and another window for the interpreter. Is this how it's done? It's ok for "Hello World", but it seems a little painful/awkward for anything more ambitious then that.

gdb is definitely way overkill for python. If you need a debugger, there's one in the stdlib. You can use it by invoking your script as python -m pdb scriptname.py. I believe there's documentation on how to use it on http://docs.python.org/ as well.

If you're comfortable with emacs, it works just fine for editing python syntax. You can also run your script through emacs, but I've seen some weird quirks regarding that. I'd recommend using a separate window for invoking your script like you're doing now.

I don't really recommend using regexps in general. They're good for tokenizing text, but can be a pain for other things. pyparsing isn't in the stdlib, but it's a good package and there's quite a few examples of how to use it on their website. It wouldn't be difficult to build a pyparsing grammar to represent each line in the logfile.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I like SPE because the syntax highlighting is pretty :)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

king_kilr posted:

I'm not talking about the BeautifulSoup stuff.

It was merely an aside :) - I found lxml nicer to use.

Habnabit posted:

Sure, except lxml can segfault with exceptionally malformed HTML.

Can you elaborate on this - we've migrated a scraper library from beautiful soup to lxml and it has been pretty solid so far, but it would not be good to try to run the transition in reverse :(

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

antennas in germany.

tef posted:

Can you elaborate on this - we've migrated a scraper library from beautiful soup to lxml and it has been pretty solid so far, but it would not be good to try to run the transition in reverse :(

Unfortunately I don't know the details of this. It might've improved, but I remember some people having trouble with lxml doing this at least a few months ago on #python. lxml does have a mailing list, and there might be more useful information archived there.

e: Briefly looking over the mailing list archives, I think it might've been an OS X-specific issue. I really need to go to bed or I'd investigate further. Sorry.

Habnabit fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 16, 2008

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
How long will it take me to get to the point where I can create a very basic roguelike in Python, with some minor past experience in programming?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

JoeNotCharles posted:

The other common choice for parsing log files and things is Perl

If someone's on linux, I'd use sed/grep/awk before using Perl and possibly python.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

The Remote Viewer posted:

How long will it take me to get to the point where I can create a very basic roguelike in Python, with some minor past experience in programming?

It's kind of hard to give any sort of real estimate, it's like asking "how long till I get my black belt?" in a martial art -- it's different for everyone.

That said, Python should be quicker than almost any other language, given its syntax (easy and powerful) and the available libraries (core and third-party).

For example, I'm sure there are curses libraries out there (I think there's at least one in the stdlib) which would obviously take a lot of the work out of the actual UI components; depending on how you want to track state, there's a lot of modules for databases (RDBMS or small stuff like SQLite or bdb) and just general persistence (pickling, marshaling etc). And so forth.

Put another way, I'd bet your major hurdles will be understanding the overall concepts involved (screen output / redrawing, handling user input, data structures, keeping state, the concept of data persistence, and so on) and less about the specifics of the code itself.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Is there a way to decompile or read a .pyd file?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

chemosh6969 posted:

Is there a way to decompile or read a .pyd file?

It's a standard DLL, any disassembler should work.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001
Learning programming is such mindless loving drudgery. Coding is fun, learning how to code sucks, especially self-learning. I've never learned how to do anything worthwhile in any language because I can't get past the hump where enthusiasm starts to flag. At least outside of what I learned in high school.

When you first start out there's a little bit of excitement from embarking on a new venture, and then I assume you eventually get to the point where you can start working on your own projects which boosts enthusiasm again. Being in the middle where you're retyping examples of number-guessing games, sucks.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I get more inspired when I'm doing stuff that automates crap at work.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to download email so it removes all the '\n\r\n' stuff.

Here's what I'm doing
code:
from imaplib import *
server = IMAP4('server')
server.login('username', 'password')
r = server.select('INBOX')
r, data = server.search(None, '(FROM \'someone\')')
#let's say I get the 2293 from data
r, data = server.fetch('2293', '(BODY[TEXT])')
When I do "print data" or write to a file "outfile.write(str(data))", the output is always stuff like "Transaction Count: 3\r\n\r\n\r\nSource"

Is there something I can do to get rid of the new lines and stuff? Off the top of my head would be a substitution on \r and \n to \\r and \\n but there has to be a better way.

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

antennas in germany.

chemosh6969 posted:

I get more inspired when I'm doing stuff that automates crap at work.

I'm wondering if there's a better way to download email so it removes all the '\n\r\n' stuff.

Here's what I'm doing
code:
from imaplib import *
server = IMAP4('server')
server.login('username', 'password')
r = server.select('INBOX')
r, data = server.search(None, '(FROM \'someone\')')
#let's say I get the 2293 from data
r, data = server.fetch('2293', '(BODY[TEXT])')
When I do "print data" or write to a file "outfile.write(str(data))", the output is always stuff like "Transaction Count: 3\r\n\r\n\r\nSource"

Is there something I can do to get rid of the new lines and stuff? Off the top of my head would be a substitution on \r and \n to \\r and \\n but there has to be a better way.

repr(data) would be an easy way to do it, or data.encode('string_escape') if you don't want the quotes around the whole thing. I don't know imaplib, so there might be a more elegant way to get the data you want, but that's the easiest way to escape escape characters and nonprintables.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Habnabit posted:

repr(data) would be an easy way to do it, or data.encode('string_escape') if you don't want the quotes around the whole thing. I don't know imaplib, so there might be a more elegant way to get the data you want, but that's the easiest way to escape escape characters and nonprintables.

I'm tired and have no clue what I'm doing.

I guess my question should be, if I'm writing the string with \n, should it make a new line in the file? Instead it's showing all the \r\n characters in the file itself.

edit: I think I found the error. I need to string up the insides.

chemosh6969 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 18, 2008

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

The Remote Viewer posted:

spend a shitload of time learning yourselves lists, tuples and dictionaries, and then try and get your OO mojo up.

Rogue-likes are probably right up pythons alley.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

duck monster posted:

spend a shitload of time learning yourselves lists, tuples and dictionaries, and then try and get your OO mojo up.

Rogue-likes are probably right up pythons alley.

I am disappointed import rogue isn't part of the standard library.

BlackDiamonds
Mar 15, 2007
For those of you who are playing around with python editors I want to say that the dev branch for Python in NetBeans is fantastic. See http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python and http://blogs.sun.com/tor/ for more information. I'm just sad that it won't be in NetBeans 6.5.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

BlackDiamonds posted:

For those of you who are playing around with python editors I want to say that the dev branch for Python in NetBeans is fantastic. See http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python and http://blogs.sun.com/tor/ for more information. I'm just sad that it won't be in NetBeans 6.5.

Colour me disappointed. Netbeans is my editor of choice - I work in a number of languages and prefer to use the one editor for all - and the lack of Python/Jython support has chaffed. Have you been using nbpython with the 6.5 candidates?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Welp, I just compiled and installed Python 2.6 on Ubuntu 8.10 and it broke all my Python apps. Just a word of warning for everyone :(

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

my stepdads beer posted:

Welp, I just compiled and installed Python 2.6 on Ubuntu 8.10 and it broke all my Python apps. Just a word of warning for everyone :(

I assume if you run "python" from a terminal, it shows this (or something similar):

code:
Python [b]2.6[/b] (r26:66714, Nov  18 2008, 16:40:21) 
[GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 
If it does, run "which python". If it comes up "/usr/local/bin/python", then just remove that file and it should work fine. If it prints "/usr/bin/python", then run "ln -sf python2.5 /usr/bin/python".

though if you installed to /usr, you've possibly screwed up a good portion of your system.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Janin posted:

I assume if you run "python" from a terminal, it shows this (or something similar):

code:
Python [b]2.6[/b] (r26:66714, Nov  18 2008, 16:40:21) 
[GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu7)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 
If it does, run "which python". If it comes up "/usr/local/bin/python", then just remove that file and it should work fine. If it prints "/usr/bin/python", then run "ln -sf python2.5 /usr/bin/python".

though if you installed to /usr, you've possibly screwed up a good portion of your system.
I just downloaded the files in my home folder, installed it there and made a symlink to the binary file in /usr/bin/python2.6. I don't know if there's much trouble related to this, but I can run my stuff without a problem that way. I have yet to install a 2.6-exclusive module though.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

MononcQc posted:

I just downloaded the files in my home folder, installed it there and made a symlink to the binary file in /usr/bin/python2.6. I don't know if there's much trouble related to this, but I can run my stuff without a problem that way. I have yet to install a 2.6-exclusive module though.

This is the safe way to do it, I'm guessing beer hosed up and installed it to /usr because all the Python apps I've looked at use /usr/bin/python for their path.

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

They should be using "/usr/bin/env python" so they don't break when you run them on a different system.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

JoeNotCharles posted:

They should be using "/usr/bin/env python" so they don't break when you run them on a different system.

What systems don't install Python in /usr/bin, or at least provide a symlink? Using /usr/bin/env is a risk in scripts because it relies on the user's PATH to be set correctly; if it's broken or compromised, the script will not work correctly / at all.

If you need to run a script using the version of Python on your path but not in /usr/bin, then use "python /path/to/myscript".

Also, using /usr/bin/env doesn't allow additional parameters like -tt to be passed to the interpreter.

tbradshaw
Jan 15, 2008

First one must nail at least two overdrive phrases and activate the tilt sensor to ROCK OUT!

Janin posted:

What systems don't install Python in /usr/bin, or at least provide a symlink?

Those systems that have Python in /usr/local/bin.

Those systems with Python in /opt/python

Those systems that don't have python natively at all, but Python has been installed in the home directory of the user.

Many systems are configured in "nonstandard" ways. Maybe the simple question is "What systems can run Python when it is not installed by root?"

All of them.

Most importantly, the issue is not whether /usr/bin/python exists, it's whether you're supposed to be using it! I have Python compiled on many hosts that have an older version of Python on the system, but I have the version I want to use in ~/local/. Use "#!/usr/bin/env python" because it's not appropriate for you (as a developer) to decide that "users are stupid and will mess up their path, so I will force my code to use the system Python". "$HOME/local/bin/" comes before "/usr/bin" in my PATH environment variable for a reason!

tbradshaw fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 19, 2008

JoeNotCharles
Mar 3, 2005

Janin posted:

Also, using /usr/bin/env doesn't allow additional parameters like -tt to be passed to the interpreter.

Sure it does. It passes all parameters through.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

If you think Python scripts should use #!/usr/bin/env python, do you also code your shell scripts to use #!/usr/bin/env sh?

JoeNotCharles posted:

Sure it does. It passes all parameters through.

code:
[~]$ ./test.sh 
/usr/bin/env: python -tt: No such file or directory

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

antennas in germany.

Janin posted:

If you think Python scripts should use #!/usr/bin/env python, do you also code your shell scripts to use #!/usr/bin/env sh?

code:
[~]$ ./test.sh 
/usr/bin/env: python -tt: No such file or directory

This actually depends on your kernel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Janin posted:

That's not a fair comparison; any system ever is going to have some shell binary symlinked/installed as /bin/sh, but as others have already explained it's common for Python to be installed in any of a multitude of different locations, not just /usr/bin/python.

• Locked thread