Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
Collapse by Jarred Diamond. The author of Guns, Germs, & Steel uses historical and contemporary examples to explain the relationship between natural resources and why societies either succeed or fail. Some of the societies analyzed include Easter Island, the lowland Maya, Modern Rwanda, the Greenland Norse, Tokugawa Japan, and modern Australia. This book is great, because it bridges disciples and is extremely relevant to 21st century problems. It's one of those books that people who say "Why should I care about history?" should read. I'd go as far to say that it should be required reading for high school and college students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zontar
Nov 4, 2008
Un Cabinet D'Amateur by Georges Perec. The title in English translations is "A Gallery Portrait," I think. It was a short, fun book about a painting within a painting within a painting &c. The story brought up questions about the nature of fiction, forgeries, and reproduction in a playful and entertaining way. The final few paragraphs make you want to go back and read the thing over again, which I find to be pretty impressive.

rangi
May 25, 2006

Girl , you thought he was man , but he was a MUFFIN
Acid House by Irvine Welsh.

Didn't enjoy all of the short stories that inhabit the first half of the book , but the novella at the end A Smart oval office was quite good. It dealed with the same world as Trainspotting and included a couple of the characters (spud and swannie). The story happens after Trainspotting. It basically deals with a barely employed druggie who lives in london and his deals with his day to day much the same as Trainspotting.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Astfgl posted:

Just burned through Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. This was the first Stephenson book I read, so I loved it right up until the ending.

At first, when the story was about Bud the cyberpunk cutout, I was worried that I'd made a terrible choice that I would soon regret.

I just finished this like 5 minutes ago. It took me forever to get into it because of the opening with Bud.

I disagree about the ending, though. The characters that were abandoned had all served their purpose. They did not again impact any of the other characters. They'd just have been there so you could say "oh, so THAT is what happened to Judge Fang..."

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 11, 2008

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
Snakes with Wings & Gold-digging Ants excerpts from Herodotus. This was a quick read, and a great introduction to Herodotus. It's his ethnography of Egypt, tribes of North Africa and Central Asia, and Darius' rise to power in Persia. The part that struck me was his description of an Indian tribe that sounded like Jains.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
Macbeth. I don't know what one could possibly even say about something like Macbeth at this point, so I won't try. This was the first bit of Shakespeare I have read since high school, and it was nice to just enjoy it instead of attempting to enjoy it while analyzing the hell out of it and doing a dozen assignments.

JohnnyGuadalupe
Apr 25, 2008
A collection of three plays by Sartre. No exit, The Respectful Prostitute and The Flies.

I thought that the first two were perfectly fine. I liked a lot of the dialogue at the end of No Exit. It took me a second to get that they were in hell, even though I know think that it was entirely possible that they were not. The Respectful Prostitute didn't really do anything for me. It seemed too obvious or maybe I didn't get it. The Flies on the other hand completely blew my mind away and I find myself reading Orestes monologues over and over. Really powerful and reminded me why I love existentialism.

Also got around to reading the tipping point by Malcolm Gladwell, because it seems that every other person I meet feels that having read this book makes them a special snowflake. Gladwell has perfectly enjoyable writing but I didn't really see any ground breaking points. He describes a lot of epidemics but doesn't really offer anything that seemed insightful to me on how they come to happen.

On to "The end of the world" and "Hard boiled Wonderland" by Murakami. Fifty pages in and I have no idea what is going on or whether I will like the book.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The Naked and the Dead Norman Mailer's first big book written just after WWII. Set in a fictional campaign on an island in the Pacific against the Japanese (and based in part on his own experiences in the war). You can tell it is one of his earlier works, it's a bit cumbersome in comparison with today's language, but it was still quite evocative.

divinemisscopa
May 21, 2008

Did somebody say MILKSHAKES?
Look Me In the Eye: My Life With Asperger's by John Elder Robison - Definitely a quick read for me. The author tells a tale of his childhood and adult life, unknowingly having Asperger's syndrome. The author, who happens to be the older brother of famed author Augusten Burroughs Asperger’s and strange teenage years were discussed in Burrough’s work – Running With Scissors. Robison continues in his life’s description, his difficulty in social situations, his love of electronics, mechanics, and engineering, and a psychologically difficult childhood. As you find throughout the book, Robison grows to embrace his differences and makes the most of his Asperger’s, which he isn’t diagnosed with until age 40. At times, he gets a bit too caught up in technical jargon and descriptions, but outside of that, it’s an interesting and fun read. I recommend it. I think it may be best accompanied with Running With Scissors.

The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler - Another quick read for me. The stories surrounding the various book club members were entertaining at times, but the characters seriously lack depth. Critique and constant tie in to the works of Jane Austen was somewhat confusing at times, as I've not read the complete works of Jane Austen. The plot went off in a too many directions and was confusing as well. A fast read, but not recommended...unless you're a huge fan of Austen.

Private Parts by Howard Stern - Finally got around to finishing this book. I've started it in the past only to never complete it. Entertaining, vulgar...a fun read for me. I tune into the show on a regular basis and have for some time, and with Howard referring to his books at times, now I have a bit more background.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

The Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf

It was pretty good - he did a good job taking what could have been a lengthy and boring book and making it interesting and fast-paced. The book goes through the crusades, but from the perspectives of the Arabs, rather than the normal European perspective. It's definitely a contemporary book - there are no footnotes, with only a brief bibliography - but it's an entertaining read and a good insight into the other side of the story.

Dudikoff
Mar 30, 2003

I’m blazing right along through the Dresden books by Jim Butcher…

Grave Peril (3rd) – This one really kick starts a big theme of the series involving a big war or some kind. I’m being vague because to tell anymore might be a spoiler. I really liked this book though and thought the ending was the strongest so far. The character of Michael, the sword wielding Templar Knight, is a cool addition to the gang. Murphy is also showing signs of being less retarded. 8 out of 10 on the Dresden scale.

Summer Knight (4th) – While totally enjoyable, this installment seemed a little weak compared to the first three. It’s a little less clever and gave me the feeling that not a lot of effort was put into the story. The plot revolves around a Fairie Queens getting their panties in a twist and threatening to kick each others asses, which would be bad news for mankind. 5 out of 10.

Death Masks (5th) – Better than the fourth, but still not up to par for me. It progresses the big war theme and throws about a million enemies and tight situations at Harry. Things are almost getting TOO complicated. This one mainly revolves around the search for the stolen Shroud of Turin and some murders connected with its disappearance. Michael is back along with two other rear end kicking Knights. This is certainly one of the most entertaining Dresden books, in the same way that a Michael Bay movie is entertaining. It just made me miss the simpler mysteries of the first few books. 7 out of 10.

Also…

If on a Winters Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino – What an interesting book! Really quick, it’s about two readers who start reading the same book, only to find that it stops after on chapter and another story starts up for one more chapter, then cuts off. They team up in a quest to find the rest of the story and end up finding book after book that leads them into the same pattern of starting a new story. So If on a Winters Night there are something like 8 different stories that we get to start, all wrapped around the main story of the two readers. It’s challenging to keep up, but fulfilling if you can. It got a little squirrely towards the end for me, and finally wrapped itself up nicely with a cool message. I loved it and would like to thank the posters in this thread for recommending it. It is nothing like you’ve ever read! 9 out of 10.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time: Mark Haddon.
I'd heard nothing but praise for this book, but having finally borrowed a copy, turned out to be a massive disappointment. I just found it lightweight, and while the attempt to tell a story from the perspective of somebody with Aspergers wasn't a total failure, ultimately I failed to engage with anyone in the book.

Anxiety Closet
Apr 9, 2006
Half-naked exploding porpoises, oh my!
I just finished CATCH-22 by Joseph Heller and I absolutely loved it!

I love the constant contradictions, paradoxes and absurdity that oppose Yossarian at every turn. It’s fantastically dark humored, silly, absurd, terrifying, and at times frighteningly realistic. I laughed out loud and often reading this book, I can’t say the same for anything else I’ve ever read. The ending was great and lifted my spirits for the rest of my day. The preface inspired me to leave little, “Yossarian Lives” notes lying around like John Chancellor did. I Think I might write them on random P-Can walls present on some of the construction sites I work at.

shoedonner
Nov 10, 2008

Charity CP posted:

I just finished Jane Eyre, and it was decent. I'm working on Beloved by Toni Morrison right now.

Have you gotten to Bluest Eye or Zola yet? Think about it, most definitely.

For myself, I've set out on a Bond kick since the beginning of the summer. I've gotten through the series and am in the midst of From Russia with Love.

Anyone pick up Devil May Care yet? Tried to get through the first page, and decided it was in fact not written "in the style of Ian Fleming."

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
Blackstrap Hawco.
First book since Infinite Jest that perplexed me and enthralled me at the same time. Brilliant once you get used to the Newfoundland dialect it's largely written in.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Last night, I finally finished The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. The book is all about food and the issues we face with eating food. In short, it's really great.

The topics he covers range from organic food to food processing, as well as talking a bit about hunters and gatherers. It's all about how we choose our food and the process the food we eat goes through to get from crops or animals to edible food. It can be quite scary at times, especially when he talks about the energy we use to create food. The environment also suffers greatly from large farms that focus entirely on one food, as the cycle is an open cycle instead of natural, or closed. I try to eat pretty well and buy local food when I can, but this makes me seem like a terrible person even when I try to buy organic food. Organic food isn't always organic. :(

I think he is a good writer as well. The pacing was good, and it was broken up well. It was a little long at over 400 pages, and as he only covered a few major topics, the book could have been condensed. It took me around 2 months to read it, but not because of the length. I've been busy this semester, so I didn't always get around to reading it. Luckily, it was easy to pick up and read in short chunks.

I enjoyed the book a great deal, and whenever I could talk about it with my friends, I did. It will probably stick with me for a while, and I think it's a good book for anybody to read. I am definitely going to be picking up other works of his soon.

Oxytocin Rx
Apr 24, 2008

There. Your body matches your brain.
hahah i just finished reading that as well.
did you read "through the looking glass"
i started ,but then got drawn to "Kushiel's Dart"...so I'm in the middle of that.

I also just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl
I have yet to see the movie, but the book was a great read. There was not a moment when I would have stopped and said "okay okay this is boring, hurry up and get on with it." every page was enthralling and would seriously keep me up all night.
every chapter leaves you hanging =D

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Pablo Bluth posted:

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time: Mark Haddon.
I'd heard nothing but praise for this book, but having finally borrowed a copy, turned out to be a massive disappointment. I just found it lightweight, and while the attempt to tell a story from the perspective of somebody with Aspergers wasn't a total failure, ultimately I failed to engage with anyone in the book.

The most disappointing thing about it was his Oulipan commitment to not using any metaphors at all, even the most innocuous, invisible everyday ones, only to get about halfway and throw it all out the window on the basis that the character feels better or just felt like it in a fit of pique or something.

japanties
Aug 14, 2008
Just finished Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu.

The most incredible thing i have ever experienced in my life.

kizeesh
Aug 1, 2005
Im right and you're an ass.

inktvis posted:

The most disappointing thing about it was his Oulipan commitment to not using any metaphors at all, even the most innocuous, invisible everyday ones, only to get about halfway and throw it all out the window on the basis that the character feels better or just felt like it in a fit of pique or something.

It's far worse than that, considering he spends half the book constantly hammering home that the kid can't make it to the end of a street that he's seen but never walked down; he then skips over how he manages to navigate his way across half of London. It's a poor novel only lauded because the peons who did so either knew nothing about aspergers, and the ones who did knew nothing about literature.

I recently finished James Herbert's Sepulchre. You can always rely on him for a good old dirty sex scene and someone getting eviscerated horribly. But as with most of his recent stuff, I found it was about as deep as a puddle and felt very thrown together.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Just finished Hiroshima by John Hersey. My god what an amazing book that is. The descriptions he uses are just detailed enough but not too much detail; it really just captivated me the way he told the stories parallel to each-other really gives a good image of the state Hiroshima was in after the bombing.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Been a while since I posted in this thread...

A Simple Plan by Scott Smith - 3 men discover a downed plane in the woods containing $4 million and decide on a simple plan: Hold onto the money for 6 months and wait to see if anyone comes looking for it before they do anything with it. Unfortunately for them, this plan quickly unravels. Very good read with a lot of "Holy gently caress!" twists, though I thought the ending stretched things a bit with with Hank going to the liquor store to get the $100 bill back on the slim chance someone might be able trace it back to them - only to end up killing two random people.

The Right Madness by James Crumley - I read this a few years back but didn't remember much of it. Crumley's got a good eye for the seedy side of human nature with this story (a hard-drinking and drug-abusing private eye gets hired by a psychiatrist friend to investigate a break-in and theft of records at his office) but the story gets steadily more off-the-wall as things go along. Entertaining read despite the convoluted and absurd plot. I've heard good things about Crumley's other novels so I'm planning on reading them at some point, though.

I took a stab at Robin Hobb's Soldier Son trilogy but I kicked it to the curb after the first two books. I generally like Hobb's work - the Farseer trilogy was excellent and the Liveship Traders wasn't too bad either - but I just found I didn't care enough about this trilogy to continue after the first two books, which were interesting as long as she stuck to the "mundane" side of things - Nevare's schooling, his life at Gettys, etc. The fantasy aspects weren't bad at first, but once Nevare ends up going into the forest and living with the Specks in book 3 - I just didn't find it compelling at all.

Also read a couple of other books after that:

Purity of Blood by Arturo Perez-Reverte: The second book in his series The Adventures of Captain Alatriste, set in 17th-century Spain and featuring swordplay and political intrigues. As usual, Pereze-Reverte's fine eye for prose and character as well as his depiction of the time period makes for a great read.

Hard Freeze by Dan Simmons - A second novel featuring his ex-con-turned-PI Joe Kurtz in a homage to pulp detective fiction. It continues the story begun in Hardcase - with Kurtz scrambling to survive mob hits, shakedowns by crooked cops and investigate a decades-old murder in the process. Hardcase was pretty good but I thought Hard Freeze was better-written and more fun to read in the end.

Currently, I'm about 100 pages into The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver and enjoying it.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Encryptic posted:

The Right Madness by James Crumley - I read this a few years back but didn't remember much of it. Crumley's got a good eye for the seedy side of human nature with this story (a hard-drinking and drug-abusing private eye gets hired by a psychiatrist friend to investigate a break-in and theft of records at his office) but the story gets steadily more off-the-wall as things go along. Entertaining read despite the convoluted and absurd plot. I've heard good things about Crumley's other novels so I'm planning on reading them at some point, though.

Do it. This is probably his worst book.

Agent Dwarf
Jan 5, 2002

by mons all madden
In the past two weeks:

André Gide's The Immoralist. Very beautiful and haunting at the same time. I will definitely pick up more of this man's work -- even though he's a Nobel laureate the only reason I read this was a random pickup at a used book sale. Edit: Wikipedia notes that "Gide realized he was homosexual after an encounter with a boy prostitute in North Africa", which explains quite a bit in the novel. Heh.

Nervous Conditions: I was pretty disappointed with this one. While the basic plot of a poor girl trying to fight for basic opportunities like primary education was touching, I thought the dialog was pretty trite.

Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf: oh my god. I put this novel down because I was bored to tears before I got to Harry's novel-in-a-novel. But this book is just beautiful, both in the quality of the prose and the richness of the themes. I wish I understood interbellum Germany a little better so that the portion with Gustav would have made a little more sense, but whatever.

Agent Dwarf fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 19, 2008

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I just finished Anthony Trollope's The Way We Live Now. It was ok. The ending was kind of cheesey (think a darker Pirates of Penzance) and it seems like in Victorian and Edwardian lit that prussic acid was the in way to kill a shamed person. I guess because it was easier on the gore factor.

One thing I don't understand is criticism against Trollope for anti-semitism. It seems to tarnish his works in the eyes of a lot of people. The Longstaffes were portrayed as very anti-semitic and their dislike for Jews disrupted Georgiana Longstaffe's wedding to a Jewish tradesmen. He didn't seem to do it with any malice, if anything he made the family look foolish for turning down a fortuitous marriage when they were all hurting for money, but instead Dolly and his father were too wrapped up in propriety and the religion of Georgiana's intended.

Killfast37
May 7, 2007
Hot Springs by Stephen Hunter - Earl Swagger a Medal of Honor veteran is wanted to work together with a new D.A. to fix the corrupt city of Hot Springs, Arkansas. Ever since I saw the movie Shooter I wanted to read a Stephen Hunter novel. I just didn't know where to start. I found the chronological order and decided to follow that rather than the order they were published.

I've had a recent reading block, I just haven't been able to get through any books sense September. I started the book on Monday and finished it with a three hour reading session today. It was well written unlike a lot of other crime novels. It seemed to be well researched and the character Earl Swagger is a complete bad rear end through out the book without it being too unbelievable. I'm eager to go out and purchase the next one in the series.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Just After Sunset the new short story collection by Stephen King. Like most of the "new King" stuff this one has its ups and downs. There are some great stories, there's some decent stories with great moments, and there's some forgettable stuff. King fans should like it, and it should serve as a good introduction to his style for anyone who hasn't read him (newborns? just-thawed-cavemen?)

Now I'm working on finishing 2666 by Roberto Bolano.

carborexic
Nov 9, 2008

Just finished the fourth and last book in Dan Simmons Hyperion Cantos. The name originates from John Keats' epic poem Hyperion, which too is the name of the first book and in several ways has influenced the science-fiction tetralogy that is the Cantos. The story is well-written and structured and Simmons describes his sci-fi setting and cast of characters with great ingenuity.

Definitly one of the better books i've read. I'm reading it again as soon as I get my hands on a English edition - sadly many of the sci-fi expressions were lost in translation.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup
Greybeard by Brian Aldiss. Posted about it earlier in the Post-Nuclear thread when I had just started it, but I just now finished it, and goddamn, it's good. It's similar to Children of Men in that takes place in a futuristic Britain in which there are (practically) no more children being born, although there's no mystery about it, it's radiation-induced sterility. But it takes place a lot further along the cycle, in which the youngest people alive are in their late 50's-early 60's. When I started it I was all, "OK, some more depressing 1960's British sci-fi, nothing to see here." Glad I was wrong, it's a really good book about finding happiness in the face of hopelessness, and the ending is truly beautiful.

Webman
Jun 4, 2008
If Not Now, When? by Primo Levi. A group of Jewish partisans to to make their way to Italy from eastern Europe during WW II. They try to sabotage the Nazis, maintain good relations with the Russians and Poles, and help people that they meet along the way. It wasn't about heroics, victimization, or even pure survival. There are alot of poor decisions and shades of grey. A really good book overall.

Seventeen-Five
Apr 27, 2008
Slaughterhouse 5

Overall, pretty disappointing with all the hype surrounding this book. However, an interesting read, if not somewhat anticlimactic.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Seventeen-Five posted:

Slaughterhouse 5

Overall, pretty disappointing with all the hype surrounding this book. However, an interesting read, if not somewhat anticlimactic.

Get Mother Night NOW.

Beichan
Feb 17, 2007

pugs, pugs everywhere
Franny and Zooey by Salinger.
I'm glad I read it now and not two years ago, when I was having a bit of an existential crisis myself. I probably couldn'tve handled it then. It's still left me with a lot to think about. It's the first book in a good while I've sat and read in a single sitting--though there might be more of those if I would stop trying to tackle Origin of Species or huge biographies. Now I really want to get a copy of this for myself (this one is a library book) and read more of the Glass family stories.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Practicing Successfully - A Masterclass in Musical Art - Elizabeth A. H. Green

This doesn't really count as literature because it's more of a musical instruction book, but it breaks down the various aspects of practicing music on the various instruments and how to make the best use of your time/tackle difficult passages. It gets a bit repetitive in the middle, but the chapters on sight reading are awesome and overall it's definitely a valuable book for any musician. One slightly ridiculous thing about the book is the fact that it has around five introductions, though. The first few sections of the book are: "To The Reader", "Reflections on Elizabeth A. H. Green", "Foreword", "Introduction", and "Prelude". I half expected the entire book to be one giant introduction.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.
Guy de Maupassant's The Mountain Inn, which is a collection of his short stories. In a way he's a victim of his own success since the Maupassant blueprint was pretty much imitated by a generation of short story writers; that and the almost inevitable punchline ending to a lot of these can get a little tiresome. Not that the stories, even those that rely heavily on it like The Necklace, aren't good in their own right, but in succession they're a little formulaic. Also includes La Horla, the proto-Lovecraftian short with a satisfyingly ambigious ending.

Celine's Rigadoon, which was the final book in his post-war trilogy, casting his flight from newly liberated France into Germany and onto Denmark as a surreal, mythic Odyssey. Not quite as strong as the first two volumes, but still entertaining enough that you can happily pretend not to notice he's swapped anti-semitism for a morbid fear of the Chinese and their apparently inevitable destruction of the West. Brilliant stuff and vastly underrated in all its syntax-butchering glory.

Also knocked off Mishima's Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea. I don't know if it's bad translation, but of the not-huge amount of Japanese lit I've read a lot of it has been pretty flat. Mishima was better than most but I still couldn't really get too enthused by it. I know a few goons seem to be pretty hot on this one in particular, but :iiam:...

Lastly the Wittkowers' Born Under Saturn, which is a gossipy, anecdote-driven study of the emergence of what's seen as the artistic personality (i.e. eccentric genius) in the Renaissance. It's a lot more addictive than it has any right to be; you will be irritating people with endless instances of "did you know ____ was so socially awkward he used to hide from visitors behind his canvases and had to be coaxed out?". The general conclusion seems to be that there can be no conclusion though, and anyone who's ever said there was is a jerk.

jessecore
Nov 22, 2003

Woah.

Beichan posted:

Franny and Zooey by Salinger.
I'm glad I read it now and not two years ago, when I was having a bit of an existential crisis myself. I probably couldn'tve handled it then. It's still left me with a lot to think about. It's the first book in a good while I've sat and read in a single sitting--though there might be more of those if I would stop trying to tackle Origin of Species or huge biographies. Now I really want to get a copy of this for myself (this one is a library book) and read more of the Glass family stories.

Do get and read more of the Glass family books. You'll definitely like them if you like Franny and Zooey. The only bad part is having to wait until Salinger dies for the rest of his work to get published.

jtovas
Nov 28, 2007

I want YOU to pull my finger.
Chuck Palahniuk's new book, Rant. Another great book, of course, but still... nothing will ever be quite as good as Fight Club.

Now I'm starting Stephen King's The Gunslinger (Dark Tower I). So far I can't bear to put it down...

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver - Fantastic book set in the Congo and told from the perspectives of a missionary's wife and his 4 daughters over the course of years, starting in 1959 and ending in the mid-1990s. Great read - touching, occasionally funny and sometimes heart-breakingly sad.

River God by Wilbur Smith - A historical novel set in ancient Egypt and told from the perspective of the eunuch slave Taita during the twilight of a dynasty. I enjoyed it for the most part, though Taita is ridiculously intelligent and perceptive, which strains the credibility of the story a bit. It is one of the better historical novels I've read, nonetheless - well-written with plenty of historical detail.

Men To Match My Mountains by Irving Stone - I've had this sitting around for years and never got around to reading it until I was looking for something to read in between trips to the library. I decided to sit down and read it and absolutely loved it. It chronicles the settling of America's Far West (California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado) and the men who made it all possible, spanning the years from 1840 to 1900.

I knew the basic outlines of the history covered in the book (the Gold Rush, the Mormon settlement in Utah, the Comstock Lode, etc.), but Stone covers it all in detail and weaves back and forth between the various regions as the years go by, giving a big picture of how it all came together over that 60-year period: expeditions to map the West, discoveries of gold and silver, wagon trains of people seeking a new life, building of the transcontinental railroad, as well as the human drama underneath it all. Definitely one of the best history books I've read - Stone's style is very engaging and the amount of research he obviously put into it is impressive.

Encryptic fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 29, 2008

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

1984 by George Orwell. I think I had read most of it as a kid but never finished it. I really did not expect it to end the way it did, heh. I was holding out for some Fahrenheit 451 kind of ending, but in the end I guess Big Brother always prevails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge
May 29, 2008

Mining for the Greater Good.
The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. It was pretty good, I enjoyed the use of simile in the books, the ending felt rather abrupt like a man tired of writing.

The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez. This was a great read, fun and fast. Had a Terry Pratchett feel to it. I would read his other book Gils' All Fight Diner, but I can only find it as a Mass Market Paperback and I loathe those small books.

John Dies at the End by David Wong. A Goon recommended book, that was actually pretty cool, the story isnt consistent, jumping from truth to lies seamlessly, one of the fun things about the book was trying to figure out when John actually died.

I'm torn now between starting House of Leaves or The Oblivion Society. What do you guys think?