Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Think that was me. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No problem. Not sure how they're distributing it besides at shows but hey may as well get the word out.
Speaking of new albums, new Fatter Than Albert up on community records.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey Josh Wow, you know a bit about the scene. Ever hear of the Argonauts or the Gammas?

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Dickeye posted:

Hey Josh Wow, you know a bit about the scene. Ever hear of the Argonauts or the Gammas?

Never heard of the Gammas but last time we were in Syracuse we played with the Argonauts. I don't know what they're doing now but at the time they were a 3 piece of drums, acoustic guitar and sax. Surprisingly they were actually pretty awesome live, I don't think I've listened to their recorded stuff recently enough to remember it.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Good enough. I could always track down myspaces if I felt like it.
I just ask because they're playing the Thanksgiving show with 4point0, Magic Goat, and the Furies and I've heard enough good things about Magic Goat to anticipate it a little.
EDIT http://myspace.com/gammasthe Ehhh. The influences thing has me wary. Anyone who cites Leftover Crack is a terrible human being on principle. Also a lot more of a punk sound than I was expecting. Than again, Kingston Beat booked Flatfoot 56 so why am I surprised

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 4, 2008

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

Well Flatfoot 56 is doing the whole Toasters tour, so it isn't like they had too much of a choice. *Bonus fact* The merch guy for Flatfoot 56 on this tour used to play bass in the band I now play bass in. Toasters and Flatfoot are playing in Atlanta tonight, I'm not going because I'm poor and sick though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I really can't afford to take a night off and go to this show but how many chances am I going to get to see my friends open for the Toasters?

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
Any New York goons going to the Mustard Plug show at the Loft in Poughkeepsie the 14th?

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!
Just got back from LTJ's show in Exeter. It was loving awesome - they switched venues last minute so the building was way smaller, which made it all the more fun. The set list was an amazing mix of everything (and nothing from In With the Out Crowd :v: ). I was ecstatic to hear them play Jen Doesn't Like Me Anymore.

The best part was meeting them completely unexpectedly right before the show. I got them all to sign/deface my free poster.

I wish really tall guys would stop being right at the front every single show I go to, though. I can't see over them. :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jen is probably my favorite LTJ song, just because it was the first one I heard and was like "yes. yes this is good musics."

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Didn't see this posted here yet surprisingly. Tomas Kalnoky was interviewed by Alternative Press and played a few acoustic covers of Streetlight songs which are really loving cool (even though he cant remember his own lyrics):

http://www.altpress.com/modules/dsp_mediaplayer.cfm?pathXML=xml_mp3.xml&track=33

Not much new info about 99 songs of the revolution other than its coming, however :(

Potrod
Aug 9, 2003
The Argus
I see a few mentions of Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, but not enough. These guys are awesome. A lot of their stuff is more jazz, but whatever, it's all awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvuQNuL8eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G6M6kTFt2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrC4lvhJLM

Hell, just do a search for them on youtube and have fun.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Cheesegod posted:

Didn't see this posted here yet surprisingly. Tomas Kalnoky was interviewed by Alternative Press and played a few acoustic covers of Streetlight songs which are really loving cool (even though he cant remember his own lyrics):

http://www.altpress.com/modules/dsp_mediaplayer.cfm?pathXML=xml_mp3.xml&track=33

Not much new info about 99 songs of the revolution other than its coming, however :(

Tomas sounded so creepy at the beginning.

"I'd be playing acoustic guitar, by myself, in my house, to my cat." Hahaha.

He didn't sing my favorite verse in Dear Sergio, which was kind of disappointing.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yeah but he did Somewhere in the Between and that's my absolute favorite Streetlight song.
"Bum bum ba-bum..."

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Dickeye posted:

Yeah but he did Somewhere in the Between and that's my absolute favorite Streetlight song.
"Bum bum ba-bum..."

gently caress yeah that was awesome. I could listen to these two guys talk for days. A Kalnoky podcast would be a dream come true.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The video of him doing an acoustic set is even better.
The crowd sings the horn riffs and the backing vocals

demolition rickshaw
Mar 10, 2007

I NEED AVATARS. AVATARS OF HARDHAT SPIDER-MAN!

Dickeye posted:

The video of him doing an acoustic set is even better.
The crowd sings the horn riffs and the backing vocals

From Bamboozle 08? This guy has a bunch of those if anyone here hasn't seen them. I absolutely can't get enough of his acoustic stuff.

I found this video through that guy's favourites, thought I'd share it because it's pretty nice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Potrod posted:

I see a few mentions of Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra, but not enough. These guys are awesome. A lot of their stuff is more jazz, but whatever, it's all awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdvuQNuL8eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G6M6kTFt2g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWrC4lvhJLM

Hell, just do a search for them on youtube and have fun.
Tokyo Ska is awesome but they're not jazz. They're the gateway drug to traditional ska.

RockShowLevel27
May 31, 2006
How was no one mention the Bosstones releasing a new album soon, and annoucing 4 shows in boston and a new years show in Providence? I'm personally going to the Providence one.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

RockShowLevel27 posted:

How was no one mention the Bosstones releasing a new album soon, and annoucing 4 shows in boston and a new years show in Providence? I'm personally going to the Providence one.

I missed the one last year, it would take something big to get me to miss this one.

Also, Skanksgiving this weekend, whether you're in NJ or MA, who's excited?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

RockShowLevel27 posted:

How was no one mention the Bosstones releasing a new album soon

:fap::fap::fap::fap:

Need more info on this

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Obama Yo Mama posted:

:fap::fap::fap::fap:

Need more info on this

goddamn yes we do

edit: "Lately we have been busy writing and recording music for a new MMB record. Two of the songs, "Impossible Dream" and "next To Nothing" will be released next month on a limited edition 7" on our own Big Rig Records (500 on black, 500 on white). We added these two songs to the player TONIGHT in order to commemorate and celebrate this historic election. Enjoy!"

From their myspace. I really like the new songs, and will definitely be picking up the 7".

Now if only I didn't work retail this year I might be able to go to a throwdown show. :( But they won't let me have the week after xmas off. Dicks.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 13, 2008

Potrod
Aug 9, 2003
The Argus

Quest For Glory II posted:

Tokyo Ska is awesome but they're not jazz. They're the gateway drug to traditional ska.

I don't know, a lot of their older stuff seems more jazz than ska. They do covers of Louis Prima, Ray Charles, and various others in a more traditional (but still uniquely awesome) way, I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iPekZOOUE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LodNpIo9z38&feature=related

Songs like this lack the notes on the offbeat (and are covers of old jazz songs), which I thought was one of the key aspects of ska. Overall the band as a whole is definitely ska, especially the later stuff, but I do think they are quite varied and mix it up a bit. Of course it really doesn't matter, I we can both agree they're awesome, whether they're 100% ska, or have some jazz mixed in.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Went to see the Toasters here at the Ottobar tonight. I was shocked at how small the crowd was. Guess they're not a big deal anymore. :( They were a lot of fun, though, and the people who were there were great, super friendly. Got to hear a lot of favorites. The set opener was Two-Tone Army and the closer was Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down.

The openers weren't ska bands, but they were pretty fun. I liked the Ambitions, the Rootworkers and Flatfoot 56. Wasn't big on Singleton. Unfortunately, neither the Ambitions nor the Rootworkers, my favorites of the openers, were selling CDs.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

RockShowLevel27 posted:

I'm going to Providence. Its my 21st birthday that day too. Its going to be sweet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

guppy posted:

Went to see the Toasters here at the Ottobar tonight. I was shocked at how small the crowd was. Guess they're not a big deal anymore. :( They were a lot of fun, though, and the people who were there were great, super friendly. Got to hear a lot of favorites. The set opener was Two-Tone Army and the closer was Don't Let The Bastards Grind You Down.

The openers weren't ska bands, but they were pretty fun. I liked the Ambitions, the Rootworkers and Flatfoot 56. Wasn't big on Singleton. Unfortunately, neither the Ambitions nor the Rootworkers, my favorites of the openers, were selling CDs.

If they do that set tonight you won't see me posting afterwards
I'll be too busy fapping because those are my two favorite songs.
If everyone who says they're going on Facebook shows up, we'll have like 80 people in a room that had a hard time holding 50. Oh yeah.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Dickeye posted:

If they do that set tonight you won't see me posting afterwards
I'll be too busy fapping because those are my two favorite songs.
If everyone who says they're going on Facebook shows up, we'll have like 80 people in a room that had a hard time holding 50. Oh yeah.
Yeah they're two of my favorites too, I was really excited. They played a bunch of other great stuff too, but man, what a way to start and end the night. :)

I feel a little bad I didn't recognize Hingley sitting by the merch table before the band went on. It was my first time seeing them and I didn't know what he looked like. Have fun tonight, they seem to be in great form. I had a loving blast.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Going to be impossible not to have fun. My friends are opening, followed by The Action, another local band, and then Flatfoot and the Toasters

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

guppy posted:

Went to see the Toasters here at the Ottobar tonight. I was shocked at how small the crowd was. Guess they're not a big deal anymore. :(

Depends on where you see em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65FQTS8rLU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
We had 70 people packed into Funk 'n Waffles last night. It was loving great. Ska Danny even abandoned his post at the door for the Toasters' set.
Best musically? The Toasters, of course. But best set, best performance, was Straighter Than Pete. The singer's brother came on stage with them to do one song, they played Santeria (holy poo poo it went nuts for that), and then they ended with Centerfold. After he finished singing Centerfold, the singer, a kinda fat guy, crowd-surfed from one end to the other and back again. It was loving great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FateoMcSkippy posted:

goddamn yes we do

edit: "Lately we have been busy writing and recording music for a new MMB record. Two of the songs, "Impossible Dream" and "next To Nothing" will be released next month on a limited edition 7" on our own Big Rig Records (500 on black, 500 on white). We added these two songs to the player TONIGHT in order to commemorate and celebrate this historic election. Enjoy!"

From their myspace. I really like the new songs, and will definitely be picking up the 7".

Now if only I didn't work retail this year I might be able to go to a throwdown show. :( But they won't let me have the week after xmas off. Dicks.
I like the songs a lot but the mixing is abysmal. It sounds like the horns were recorded in someone's bathroom. Really really strange sounding and I hope that they re-record those tracks for the new album.

Potrod posted:

I don't know, a lot of their older stuff seems more jazz than ska.
This is a band that's been around for 23 years. Their style has evolved with the times. Check out everything from Arkestra onward, because that's the sound that they stick with and will stick with for a long time (they're stubbornly consistent). If you want to cut right to the good stuff, get Stomping on Down Beat Alley and High Numbers, and possibly Wild Peace.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

WaffleZombie posted:

Guess who's reuniting for a small East Coast tour? The Pilfers! And they're bringing Sonic Boom Six along.

Fri. 11/21 - 941 Theater - Philadelphia, PA

Well, I'm excited.

This show now includes BTMI and Last Martyrs of a Lost Cause. I'm really loving excited about this show now.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Bah. I'd love to go even without that, but it's a bit too much of a hike. I want local dates!

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!

Dickeye posted:

Speaking of new albums, new Fatter Than Albert up on community records.

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't already to give this a download, it's pretty good.

Really stoked for next month, went to check out the venue site for Sonic Boom Six next month in Glasgow and was pleasantly surprised to find Streetlight Manifesto and Random Hand playing two days later...:D

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Smegbot posted:

I'd encourage anyone who hasn't already to give this a download, it's pretty good.

I agree with this statement.

Also The Green Room Rockers have released a new cd. You can hear 2 song off of it on their myspace: http://www.myspace.com/greenroomrockers one is on the player the other is a youtube link.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Josh Wow posted:

Depends on where you see em:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E65FQTS8rLU

Groezrock is mostly a punk/hardcore festival, but the one or two ska bands they book are usually very well received. I saw the Mad Caddies there in 07 and it was one the greatest shows I've ever seen.

It was the hottest time of the day and we were standing in a tent, but everybody was just going crazy.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I saw The Aquabats/Suburban Legends tonight and I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was the single greatest experience of my life.

The first band that opened was...well..weird but awesome.

Suburban Legends were great, they had lots of energy and played mostly their older stuff which was what I was hoping for. The two or three newer songs they played actually weren't that bad so I was happy.

The Aquabats are loving amazing and are the best live band ever, ever, ever, ever. That's all I can really say. If you haven't seen them yet, I have no idea what you're doing with your loving life.

gerfatty
Sep 14, 2007
What's so wrong with being a punk rock faggot hippy, anyway?
No loving way. Tragedy played with the Aquabats? That is incredible. I am drooling just thinking about that poo poo.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
I was also at the Aquabats show last night and had tons fun. I had seen them twice before but this has to be my favorite time seeing them. I can't say I ever really skanked before but I had tons fun doing it over in the pit. Also I really liked Suburban Legends and had tons of fun with them too, I skipped out on Tragedy since I saw them a few months ago opening for Electric Six and they weren't really my thing, though their guitar work sounded much better now from the little I heard.

I got to say that I had so much fun, that I think I'm going to attempt to see every ska show that comes around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It ain't a pit unless it's you and four or five friends and nobody wants to move back, so the six of you are in a four square foot area going in a circle and trying not to die.
And then you give up on that last part and start trying to take each other out "accidentally."