Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Ohms posted:

Seriously? You have to do all that for something as common as a cross fade?

I'm not familiar with any other method to do this to be honest. Ableton Live doesn't do this either - can't have overlapping audio fragments. I take it ProTools has a more compact way of dealing with this, allowing overlap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Yea definitely, even when compared to Logic, Pro Tools is just the best I've used when it comes to fades and crossfades.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
To crossfade in Cubase you just overlap the audio on a track and press X. To overlap the audio you just click and drag a segment over another one. If this isn't as simple as it seems for you, you must have some option set to dissalow this or something because it is supposed to be that easy.
If you want to edit the fade you just click it to open the fade editor.

Creating two tracks is way way way too much work.

ReDiNmYhEaD
Mar 17, 2006

mike- posted:

To crossfade in Cubase you just overlap the audio on a track and press X. To overlap the audio you just click and drag a segment over another one. If this isn't as simple as it seems for you, you must have some option set to dissalow this or something because it is supposed to be that easy.
If you want to edit the fade you just click it to open the fade editor.

Creating two tracks is way way way too much work.

mike,

I'm trimming drum takes to composite a track together. There are 9 audio tracks for the drum takes. I have trimmed the audio to an ideal clean hit. I have the audio pieces butted up to each other. Since the audio isn't overlapping I just want the volume to be at zero when the clips transition.

If the audio isn't overlapping how do I get rid of the clip I hear when the audio transitions between the two clips?

ReDiNmYhEaD fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 5, 2008

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

ReDiNmYhEaD posted:

mike,

I'm trimming drum takes to composite a track together. There are 9 audio tracks for the drum takes. I have trimmed the audio to an ideal clean hit. I have the audio pieces butted up to each other. Since the audio isn't overlapping I just want the volume to be at zero when the clips transition.

If the audio isn't overlapping how do I get rid of the clip I hear when the audio transitions between the two clips?
The clip you hear is the lack of audio and then it coming back in with no fade. You want to untrim them, overlap them and fade them together with a quick crossfade. You may find that you want to make new tracks some of them (maybe overheads or room mics) so that you can more slowly fade them out if possible and not make the transition as obvious. You may find yourself dropping the fade in different places on different tracks, or with differing lengths of crossfade. You'll want to do the editing track by track most likely.

Editing drum takes like that can be really difficult. Second only to editing acoustic grand piano recordings in my experience...

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Nov 5, 2008

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

You should also be able to create fades at the end of each clip by dragging them from the edge of the clip, I believe from the red or blue envelope markers.

I'm still on cubase 2 though so I'm not sure if they're updated it or not.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Can anyone recommend a good USB midi interface? I can record straight audio with my Triton but I would like midi too so I don't have to program notes that I want to work with.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Whitefire posted:

Can anyone recommend a good USB midi interface? I can record straight audio with my Triton but I would like midi too so I don't have to program notes that I want to work with.

E-Mu Xmidi, M-Audio MIDISPORT, MOTU Fastlane, Edirol UM-1EX/UM-2EX...

You don't need to be as picky with MIDI interfaces as you do with audio interfaces. Just pick something that has the right amount of ins and outs and you should be set.

33rd Degree Idiot
Sep 17, 2007

Scion of an ancestral procession of idiots stretching back to the Missing Link

Whitefire posted:

I have had nothing but a god experience with the M-Audio Audiobox.

E: Whoops, PRESONUS Audiobox. It's so reliable that I forgot it's name.

33rd Degree Idiot fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Nov 10, 2008

teamgod
Jun 4, 2007
In Sorte Diaboli
All this stuff just makes my head hurt. I've skimmed through some posts and it seems like everyone has a different set up with different pros and cons. What I need is a simple interface for recording electric guitar. No mics, just a 1/4" interface. That's about it. I have been using Cubase for a while creating drum tracks but now I'd like to get some guitar on there.

My price range is about $200-250. It doesn't matter how many inputs I get. For now I just need a simple guitar input with low or zero latency. I've had a look at my boss' setup and his is a high-end Audigy box that plugs into a PCI interface. He said he paid quite a bit for his though. Anyway I've tried using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to go right into my sound card but it sounded like poo poo.

I looked at the Fast Track USB interface from M-Audio but reviewers say the latency is horrible. USB, Firewire, or PCI.. whichever is my best option within my price range.

Apr 24, 2008

Sorry if this belongs in the software/hardware forum but I'm having driver problems with my Mbox or maybe just problems with Protools finding it.

During protool's installation it asked me to connect the mbox, it found it and installed drivers. I got no error messages or anything and the light is on and everything but when I open protools it says it cant find the interface.
I've looked around for drivers on the internet and it's no help, the digidesign website pretty terrible.
Has anyone else had the same issue? I'm really stuck now.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
What OS are you on, 6025?

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

teamgod posted:

All this stuff just makes my head hurt. I've skimmed through some posts and it seems like everyone has a different set up with different pros and cons. What I need is a simple interface for recording electric guitar. No mics, just a 1/4" interface. That's about it. I have been using Cubase for a while creating drum tracks but now I'd like to get some guitar on there.

My price range is about $200-250. It doesn't matter how many inputs I get. For now I just need a simple guitar input with low or zero latency. I've had a look at my boss' setup and his is a high-end Audigy box that plugs into a PCI interface. He said he paid quite a bit for his though. Anyway I've tried using a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to go right into my sound card but it sounded like poo poo.

I looked at the Fast Track USB interface from M-Audio but reviewers say the latency is horrible. USB, Firewire, or PCI.. whichever is my best option within my price range.

All you really need if you want to record a guitar through software modeling (Guitar-Rig, Revalver, Amplitube) is the M-Audio Jam-Lab. You need to install some special drivers called ASIO4ALL that make the latency almost non-existant. On OSX, you've got Core-Audio and that's pretty much 0 latency.

However, your pricerange is good enough for an M-Audio Fast-Track and an SM57, so you can actually record your real amp's sound (much better IMO than modeling, if you've got an amp worth to be proud of). ART used to carry a Tube USB interface/preamp, but I can't seem to find it. Basically had TUBE OOOH which warms up the signal.

N.E also, read the very first page. It tells you exactly what I just told you. I'm more than glad to help but usually megathreads have a FAQ at the beginning of them. I understand the confusion you must have gathered from reading posts of people who are already way more into recording than you are, but what you're looking for is basic enough to be found by googling or seeing the first page.

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 8, 2008

Apr 24, 2008

nimper posted:

What OS are you on, 6025?

Oh, I knew I was forgetting something. I'm on XP Home.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

6025 posted:

Oh, I knew I was forgetting something. I'm on XP Home.

What service pack? I don't know if m-audio supports sp3 very well.

Apr 24, 2008

nimper posted:

What service pack? I don't know if m-audio supports sp3 very well.

ahah yes service pack 3. Is anyone else running it okay on sp3? What else can I do about it though? I've tried quite a bit to get the drivers off digidesign's website and I cant find any links to them on any other forums or anything.

It's a bit confusing because the installation app found it and supposedly installed the drivers with no errors or anything but it's not in my hardware list.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
If you are running a version of protools pre-6.7 it probably isn't going to work but if it's anything newer you should be fine.

Mbox's will work fine on SP3 given you have a version of protools past 6.7

Apr 24, 2008

mike- posted:

If you are running a version of protools pre-6.7 it probably isn't going to work but if it's anything newer you should be fine.

Mbox's will work fine on SP3 given you have a version of protools past 6.7

I have 7.31 so I'll try installing it on a different computer but yeah I don't know what's happening now.

shmode
Jun 30, 2005

teamgod posted:

I recently got a presonus firebox and love it. A new unit fits around your price range depending where you shop. I got a used unit on ebay for $165. I haven't had any latency issues recording, nor with a couple amp vst's Iv'e been experimenting with.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

teamgod posted:

I've suggested it in this thread before, and I'll do it again - if you're looking for an easy, cheap, and effective solution, you should try out the Line 6 Toneport line. They are cheaper than ever now that they are starting to roll out repackaged/recolored models, and they're really great for tinkering with your sound. They cover a broad range of modeled amps for guitars, vocals, bass, etc, and do it very well for the most part. If you absolutely hate the modeled amps, you should at least be able to dial in a preamp sound that you like, and then you can simply mic up your amp as normal through it with nice low latency/no latency monitoring in the ease of a USB package.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I need some advice on drum sequencing on OSX. The standard GarageBand sequencer is pretty useless - it works for melodic instruments, but programming drums is a hassle because you can't mute/solo the individual drums. I like the interface of iDrum, but I get irritated that there is no way to change tempo within a song, and no that there's no time signature other than 4/4.

Is there a simple, powerful drum sequencing solution for mac?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
Not sure where to ask, so I'll throw this out here - I have an M-Audio Axiom 49 midi controller that supports USB. When I connect it to my PC through the USB slot I get noticable latency. If I buy a MIDI-to-USB converter cable like this and run from the MIDI outputs on the controller instead of USB will that help eliminate latency, or do I need a dedicated sound card with MIDI inputs? (For reference, I'm using an Athlon 64 2Ghz with 1GB RAM on WinXP Pro.) And is there a reason to use dedicated MIDI ports instead of USB these days?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Latency's in the drivers of your soundcard, not in the USB connection. If you have an on-board soundcard, get a PCI/USB/Firewire one.

quote:

And is there a reason to use dedicated MIDI ports instead of USB these days?

There is no difference between a controller that's hooked up via USB or a controller that connects via MIDI to an USB MIDI interface. You just skip a step and fold it in the machine itself.

Audio interfaces have MIDI ports as a nice extra - not as something you're supposed to use for the entire rig. If you have 8 synths you get yourself something like a MOTU MIDI Express, which is going to be USB. There's no Firewire MIDI interface - there are however Firewire audio interfaces with (up to 4 - don't think I've seen one with more) MIDI connections.

Any synthesizer made before a certain period of time is going to have MIDI ports only, so that's where a MIDI interface comes in handy.

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
Thanks for the info. I've got an SB Audigy2 I use in my gaming rig that I was thinking of using as the interface on my DAW, as I already have a mixer I can use for the audio, then just getting a regular 5.1 sound card for my gaming rig since gaming is all it's used for. The Audigy has the MIDI and 1/4" jacks I need and supports 96Khz. Is using a gaming card for a DAW a bad idea?

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

quote:

Is using a gaming card for a DAW a bad idea?

If it doesn't have proper ASIO drivers you're going to be stuck with the latency. There's a stopgap solution called ASIO4All, but there's several advantages to choosing a soundcard made for making music instead of a generic/games one. One being the connectors; with a break-out box you don't have to crawl behind your computer and you get several inputs at once instead of just a single small stereo plug.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Has anyone managed to find a decent soundcard for the new Macbooks? One that does 1 input, maaaaybe 2, and has "zero" latency? USB of course.

I need to get a new music laptop, but gently caress if I'm shelling out $2000 for the Macbook Pro, when all I really need is the FW port. I've been running Ableton just fine on my C2D white Macbook as it is.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

7.62WorldOrder posted:

Thanks for the info. I've got an SB Audigy2 I use in my gaming rig that I was thinking of using as the interface on my DAW, as I already have a mixer I can use for the audio, then just getting a regular 5.1 sound card for my gaming rig since gaming is all it's used for. The Audigy has the MIDI and 1/4" jacks I need and supports 96Khz. Is using a gaming card for a DAW a bad idea?
Your Audigy2 should have ASIO drivers (my Audigy2 ZS did). In your DAW, or whatever program you're using MIDI with, make sure you select Creative ASIO or Audigy2 ASIO instead of DirecSound or WDM. You should be able to bring up an ASIO control panel in the software that lets you select the latency of the Audigy2. How low you can get the latency without experiencing pops and crackles partially depends on the speed of your computer. I find a total latency of 20ms or lower is enough to use a keyboard without being thrown off by the delay. Your actual latency is going to be a little higher than whatever you set in the control panel, so if you're aiming for 20ms, you'll have to set it lower than that. I found 10ms worked well for my setup. When picking your output driver, avoid the 96Khz options unless you really need 96Khz. The 96Khz drivers always performed worse than the others for me.

The Audigys with the breakout boxes or the 5.25" bay boxes are kind of made for audio production. Their primary purpose is gaming and home theater uses, but Creative would tell you their latest whatever super platinum sound card can be used as an audio production solution. That's why they have MIDI, 1/4" inputs w/a "mic preamp" and ASIO drivers. The problem is the production components are very low quality. Running a guitar direct into the 1/4" jacks sounds like rear end, and the "mic preamp" is garbage and can't be used for any serious recording. It does have some plus side though. MIDI always worked perfectly for me, it has built in General MIDI synths/samples, it can load soundfonts and it has plenty of I/O options (especially digital, at least on my model).

I was able to use mine as a temporary music production solution for a few years. DI guitar sound okay if I put a clean boost pedal before the input and routed the signal to an amp modeling VST. Sequencing VST synths and samplers worked fine. I was even able to do a live performance using Ableton without any problems (I couldn't cue monitor though). As long as you can get your latency to an acceptable level, your Audigy should be able to hold you over until you're ready to buy a quality interface. It has its limitations, but its certainly a step above onboard sound or a generic PCI card with no connectors besides analog 7.1 and maybe S/PDIF.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 19, 2008

Andrea Twerkin
Jun 19, 2007

by Peatpot
Total noob question here:

I have a guitar amp with a 1/4" jack output. What is the usual way to go out from this and in to my computer? I am looking at soundcards online, and I don't see any that have a 1/4" input, so I guess I can't just buy a nice soundcard and run a regular 1/4" patch cable from the amp to the card?

What is the best way to record from a guitar amp straight into a computer? I don't want to mic the amp, I want to run some kind of cable from the amp to the computer. I know you can go from 1/4" to 1/8" with a simple adapter, and go in through the regular line in, but does this sacrifice sound quality or have other negative effects?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If the output is a direct out, its probably sending the signal from the amps' preamp. The signal will sound a bit different than what you hear from the amp because you're bypassing the amps power amp and speaker, which both have an effect on the sound.

A 1/4" -> 1/8" adapter should work fine.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

does this sacrifice sound quality...?
Yes. Unless it's a simulated speaker out, it will sound like horseshit. You're really better off just plugging the guitar directly into the computer and using an amp sim VST (amplitube, etc.).

Andrea Twerkin
Jun 19, 2007

by Peatpot

nimper posted:

Yes. Unless it's a simulated speaker out, it will sound like horseshit. You're really better off just plugging the guitar directly into the computer and using an amp sim VST (amplitube, etc.).

The amp has one 1/4" output jack. I use this jack with my headphones, which are 1/8", and a 1/8-1/4" adapter. It sounds great through the headphones with this setup. Why would it sound lovely on the computer?

Also, when you say "plug the guitar directly into the computer", do you mean run a cable from the 1/4" out on the guitar body itself directly into the 1/8" line in on the computer, bypassing the amp completely?

Edit: by the way I am talking about a Silvertone Smart IIIs amp

Andrea Twerkin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 19, 2008

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002

Splinter posted:

Lots of good info

Thanks for all the information, it has been very helpful.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

The amp has one 1/4" output jack. I use this jack with my headphones, which are 1/8", and a 1/8-1/4" adapter. It sounds great through the headphones with this setup. Why would it sound lovely on the computer?

Also, when you say "plug the guitar directly into the computer", do you mean run a cable from the 1/4" out on the guitar body itself directly into the 1/8" line in on the computer, bypassing the amp completely?

Edit: by the way I am talking about a Silvertone Smart IIIs amp

You're welcome to try the headphone jack into the sound card, but in my experience I've found that doesn't sound very good.

If you want to plug the guitar directly into the computer, there probably needs to be a preamp between the guitar and the computer that'll get the instrument signal up to something the sound card can actually use.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

The Art Tube MP is $30 and I think Musicians Friend is running a free shipping special on orders over $29. Plug the guitar into the preamp, then run a line to the computer's line in jack (not the microphone jack).

You could also get this and use it between your amp and the computer. Either way it's a nice little gadget to have.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
A friend of mine mentioned he had tools that could do almost everything in Melodyne's Direct Note Access, but I haven't been able to find anything that would do what he's talking about. Does anyone here have any ideas what tools could do that sort of thing, with individual note recognition and key changing?

Andrea Twerkin
Jun 19, 2007

by Peatpot

nimper posted:

You're welcome to try the headphone jack into the sound card, but in my experience I've found that doesn't sound very good.

If you want to plug the guitar directly into the computer, there probably needs to be a preamp between the guitar and the computer that'll get the instrument signal up to something the sound card can actually use.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/ART-Tube-MP-Studio-Mic-Preamp?sku=180581

The Art Tube MP is $30 and I think Musicians Friend is running a free shipping special on orders over $29. Plug the guitar into the preamp, then run a line to the computer's line in jack (not the microphone jack).

You could also get this and use it between your amp and the computer. Either way it's a nice little gadget to have.

Oh man that preamp is just what I want I think. I also have a shure57 instrument mic that I want to use w/ my computer, and I was considering dropping hundreds on a sound card w/ xlr input and preamp in it. This thing looks like I could use it between either my guitar or mic and just a standard line-in on the soundcard. Sweet!

Someone let me know if I am wrong please! I really don't know much about this but I am trying to learn.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

tender_keith posted:

Oh man that preamp is just what I want I think. I also have a shure57 instrument mic that I want to use w/ my computer, and I was considering dropping hundreds on a sound card w/ xlr input and preamp in it. This thing looks like I could use it between either my guitar or mic and just a standard line-in on the soundcard. Sweet!

Someone let me know if I am wrong please! I really don't know much about this but I am trying to learn.

Just because it has a tube in it doesn't mean it's good. Buy a recording card with built in pre, it'll sound better than that art plugged into a consumer soundcard.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just because it has a tube in it doesn't mean it's good. Buy a recording card with built in pre, it'll sound better than that art plugged into a consumer soundcard.

Yeah, if you have hundreds of dollars for a soundcard you won't be needing the Art preamp. The Art is for people who don't have hundreds of dollars.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

tender_keith posted:

Just for the record, what sound card are you thinking about getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
Excellent call on the sequencer, Yoozer. Thanks.

I'm gonna have some money to throw around on hardware soon, and most of the details go way over my head.

I'm running OS X 10.5 on a Macbook 2.16 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2 gigs of RAM.

I'm going to be doing pretty basic home recording. I don't need to do much simultaneous recording, at most 2 tracks at a time. I have an Ion drum kit, I'm probably going to get a used DM5 module, ~$150 or less, so that's stereo or MIDI out.

My questions are: Is my computer good enough to get decent latency? Is it worth getting FireWire over USB? Is it worth getting MIDI, for the drum kit? I don't expect to get a MIDI keyboard. Is there a real difference between Pro Tools LE and M-Powered?

Basically I'm looking at a used Mbox original (~$100), an Mbox2 is MIDI is important (~$500) or an Mbox2 Pro if FireWire is important (~$800). Obviously, less expensive is better, in general and because I can get it sooner. Is there anything else I should be looking at?