Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!
Seconding the Jazzmaster. Matching headstock, pure sex! Why the indecision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Yeah, that's an easy choice. Jazzmaster.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Howling Bells posted:

Seconding the Jazzmaster. Matching headstock, pure sex! Why the indecision?

Lack of money. I intended on saving or breaking even with the Legacy, but the Legacy only went for 680 on ebay (leaving me with roughly $615 after fees). But at the same time, if I'm only sticking to one guitar, I might as well stick with one that counts.

I could also use the 10% coupon and the live.com cashback to get an American one for a bit more (800+shipping, no matching headstock), but $200 would get tied up for 60 days.

Susano-maku da! fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 19, 2008

ampleforth
Dec 23, 2004

So it goes.

Susano-maku da! posted:

Guys, I'm an idiot, so help me decide. I just sold my Legacy in hopes of downgrading

Surely you don't mean you sold a G&L Legacy. Oy.

Given your options I think I would have just buckled down and made some money some other way. I might reach for a jazzmaster or a squier if I were being charged by a beast of some kind or needed to paddle a canoe, but otherwise they're basically huge misshapen wooden spoons to me.

If you have $800 to spend I have a used Legacy in my small arsenal I'll sell you. Hell, I'll even cut the price for a goon.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Leviathan posted:

Hey Agreed, have you by chance made any good death/thrash presets in AM or GR3 with the rectifier?

I would also like to know this. I for the life of me cannot get the rectifier to sound good, I've just been using the Ultrasonic (which I really dig, does anyone know what it supposed to be modelling?).

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

ampleforth posted:

Surely you don't mean you sold a G&L Legacy. Oy.

Given your options I think I would have just buckled down and made some money some other way. I might reach for a jazzmaster or a squier if I were being charged by a beast of some kind or needed to paddle a canoe, but otherwise they're basically huge misshapen wooden spoons to me.

If you have $800 to spend I have a used Legacy in my small arsenal I'll sell you. Hell, I'll even cut the price for a goon.

Yes, G&L Legacy. I'm not a strat guy. Don't like the sound, feel, look. Took me three of them (two Fenders, one G&L) to realize that. Offset guitars feel more natural and the sounds have more character to me.

I think I'm going to go for a JM (even though I negotiated down the '76 Mustang's price), but out of curiosity, how do the classic players compare to japanese ones?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Susano-maku da! posted:

Yes, G&L Legacy. I'm not a strat guy. Don't like the sound, feel, look. Took me three of them (two Fenders, one G&L) to realize that. Offset guitars feel more natural and the sounds have more character to me.

I think I'm going to go for a JM (even though I negotiated down the '76 Mustang's price), but out of curiosity, how do the classic players compare to japanese ones?

Well I can't really speak for regular guitars... but for '08, both Fender and Squier have stepped up their games immensely in terms of basses. Especially the MIA stuff from Fender. They are practically flawless so far.

Not sure about MIM though. But hell, if Squier is starting to put out decent stuff...

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

HIS AVATAR IS BEN AFFLECK BUT HIS NAME IS ATOMIC MONK.. OH WAIT, I GET IT

3toes posted:

Well I can't really speak for regular guitars... but for '08, both Fender and Squier have stepped up their games immensely in terms of basses. Especially the MIA stuff from Fender. They are practically flawless so far.

Not sure about MIM though. But hell, if Squier is starting to put out decent stuff...
MIM is generally crap but you can find some gems. I found mine and fell in love with it and I generally hate fender. Mine has a really weird ring to it, it almost sounds like a semi hollowbody with how well the notes project (i don't know how to describe it any other way, the sound from the guitar is really "airy" and beefy it reminds me of a les paul a lot when plugged in but with a single coil twang). They generally arn't the best guitars but if you look around you can find something awesome like i did that can play better than a MIA fender.

To contribute a bit more this was my 20th birthday present, Fender MIM strat with lace sensor red/silver/blue and a graphtech nut (new pickguard too)

(stock photo)

mine
(not really great photo but it shows how awesome it looks)

might change all the hardware out to gold or black soon, not sure, it's gorgeous though

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

A lot of the complaints about fender's drop in "quality" is really just shoddy setup. If I know one thing for sure about guitar center they don't know poo poo about how to setup a guitar. A lot of times guitar's are manufactured in a different environment than it will be sold in. This combined with shipping through various other climates means that by the time the GC employee racks em up, the setup will be much different than when it left the factory, unless you live in Corona, CA, which is about 30 min away from me, w00t.

In my experience, the MIM strats are killer deals, but you are not going to get a pro level guitar for 430 bucks. Play a few, find a good one, replace the block and saddles, and the crappy ceramic pickups and this guitar is really not that different from the MIA guitars, hell with my Callaham upgrade I'd rather take my MIM over most of the MIA strats I've played.

As for Jazzmasters, and I know there is a huge following on here, so I'll tread lightly. I'm not a fan. I much prefer the feel of a strat neck, offset waists are terrible, and the feel of the strat trem is so much better. They also look absolutely terrible, but I guess they're supposed to. They are gimmick guitars, most pros will reach for a strat, tele or les paul as their main road instrument over a JM, if I had only one instrument, a JM definitely would not be my first choice.

Edit: Sup white MIM strat buddy! :cheers:

Mine has Lace's, too, and that spanky maple board. And as I mentioned, the Callaham upgrade.

Edit 2:

Atomic Monkey posted:

Mine has a really weird ring to it, it almost sounds like a semi hollowbody with how well the notes project (i don't know how to describe it any other way, the sound from the guitar is really "airy" and beefy it reminds me of a les paul a lot when plugged in but with a single coil twang).

Thats called finding a good one, a good guitar should resonate, they should feel alive in your arms as you play them. (Am I talking about guitars still or women?)

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 19, 2008

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

Edit 2:

Thats called finding a good one, a good guitar should resonate, they should feel alive in your arms as you play them. (Am I talking about guitars still or women?)

it's not really that since i've played guitars that resonate well (my les paul being one of them) it has a really unique voice, it does jazz as if it was an old school gibson hollowbody with a charlie christian pickup. the maple actually looks pretty unique too (ive never seen a maple neck look at all like mine, and i've seen a lot) it has red/pink streaks throughout the grain which just gives it more character.

the only thing that really oculd be seen as a flaw with it is that the trem arm won't screw all the way in cos of the bridge height or something but i can live with the arm hanging there since the bridge prevents it from moving that much farther, it's pretty much perpendicular with the input jack when in resting position.

another tip for anyone wanting a MIM strat is to throw a graphtech nut on it. it won't go out of tune. i can divebomb with my strat and it still stays in tune.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Atomic Monkey posted:

i can divebomb with my strat and it still stays in tune.

I have the stock nut on mine still, I haven't had any problems. My strat never went out of tune before, even with the stock trem, and I dive bomb and flutter with about a 1.5 mm float. I stand by my argument that people's tuning troubles are just setup issues.

Atomic Monkey
Jul 27, 2006

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have the stock nut on mine still, I haven't had any problems. My strat never went out of tune before, even with the stock trem, and I dive bomb and flutter with about a 1.5 mm float. I stand by my argument that people's tuning troubles are just setup issues.

Yeah i agree mine probally isnt set up right anyways since i move from the southern hemisphere to the northern and didn't get it set up (extreme change in weather). it still couldn't hurt to throw a graphite nut on because of the huge tuning stability it offers imo it can't hurt to have too much stability. im thinking of throwing some locking tuners and a kahler on my strat soon to make it more unique, or maybe grab another one and throw some of the new seymour duncan forum pickups in it.

i agree thought generally all strat problems are set up problems

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

As for Jazzmasters, and I know there is a huge following on here, so I'll tread lightly. I'm not a fan. I much prefer the feel of a strat neck, offset waists are terrible, and the feel of the strat trem is so much better. They also look absolutely terrible, but I guess they're supposed to. They are gimmick guitars, most pros will reach for a strat, tele or les paul as their main road instrument over a JM, if I had only one instrument, a JM definitely would not be my first choice.

Offset waists fits like a glove for me (maybe it's because I'm short and small) and I can't stand Stratocaster trems. In fact, the G&L was probably the nicest strat I've owned. The G&L dual fulcrum performed light years better than Fender strat trems.

Other than that, I like the look better than strats, the necks are pretty much the same as strat necks anyway, and I got interested in the guitars when I realized that basically 90% of my favorite pro guitarist's tones are from Jazzmasters. But it's subjective, so hey.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Concatenation posted:

I would also like to know this. I for the life of me cannot get the rectifier to sound good, I've just been using the Ultrasonic (which I really dig, does anyone know what it supposed to be modelling?).

First, the Ultrasonic is modeling the Bogner Uberschall and I agree it sounds loving awesome.

Second, about good recto tones from the modelers - actually, yeah, Amplitube Metal's Triple Rec sounds awesome. You just have to think of it as a real amp and do what you'd do to a real triple rec - boost that bastard and run an EQ between it and the cab sim (like running an EQ in the loop). Cut your bass going in, bring it back in going out. Rectos are super, super bass-heavy amps, and you will get a flubby sound if you try to just feed it your guitar's signal and run with the output. This is basically the Mesa Mark trick but it works here too.

They give you plenty of pedals to work with. I like the OD-1 for boosting Amplitube Metal's recto, and the Tubescreamer is all you need for Guitar Rig 3's. The hard part about both of them is dialing in a good cab sim. For Guitar Rig 3, if you want to stick with the matched cab function, you might want to run it into the Ultrasonic's "matched cab" since it works well for any high gain tone. For Amplitube Metal, dual mic it and get creative with your placement (but watch the phase).

Here's a clip I recorded with Amplitube Metal, definitely not the triple rec though. Randall Warhead lead clip. The backing track is Harmony Central Amp Forum's November Jam track.

Edit: I transferred the wrong drat track to my memory stick, so this'll be uploaded tomorrow instead. :mad:

I'm going to start a modeling megathread in the next day or two to focus the discussion on modeling. I think it's about time to do that, and I think there's enough interest. My project for this winter break is to finish my modeler comparison, and to review both Amplitube Metal and Guitar Rig in-depth. 'til then, it'll be clips, comparisons, and conversation - hopefully enough to keep the thread going 'til I get time to dig as deep as I want to.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 19, 2008

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I'm thinking about suping up my Squier Super-Sonic and then selling it, but the wiring is screwed completely.

One of the wires under the pickguard is almost completely eaten through, and the new bridge pickup I put in was wired wrong[by me :smith:]. Any idea how much it would cost to get rewired?

With the proceeds from that I'm hoping to retube my amp and save for a new guitar. Possibly a Jackson Rhoads or Ibanez RG.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Pirateparty posted:

I'm thinking about suping up my Squier Super-Sonic and then selling it, but the wiring is screwed completely.

One of the wires under the pickguard is almost completely eaten through, and the new bridge pickup I put in was wired wrong[by me :smith:]. Any idea how much it would cost to get rewired?

With the proceeds from that I'm hoping to retube my amp and save for a new guitar. Possibly a Jackson Rhoads or Ibanez RG.

Suping up guitars in hopes of making money is about as wise an investment as suping up a rice rocket in hopes of making money. You're not going to make anything, in fact, you are probably just going to lose a lot more than you realize, especially if you plan on having other people do the suping (rewiring esp) get a soldering iron and look up a schematic.

Los Padre
Mar 26, 2007

Los Padre is an interesting and sensitive fellow.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Suping up guitars in hopes of making money is about as wise an investment as suping up a rice rocket in hopes of making money. You're not going to make anything, in fact, you are probably just going to lose a lot more than you realize, especially if you plan on having other people do the suping (rewiring esp) get a soldering iron and look up a schematic.

Agreed, it's doubtful that dropping any money aside from cheap things like maybe new pots and input (something snazzy to say about it) is going to lead you to anything other than losing said money. I did, I will admit, manage to do this once with a heavily modded Epi, but only because the guy liked to collect diverse LPs etc etc. It's a hell of a lot of fun, though. Just don't cut that pickup lead wire too short, if you're homebrewing it.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

warwick5s posted:

Presonus uses a dongle, it will come with a plug that has MIDI in and out.

Are there any inherent advantages or disadvantages to having a breakout/dongle MIDI I/O compared to direct I/O?

breaks
May 12, 2001

No, it's just that there is not any room for MIDI jacks on the back of that box (and maybe it is a little cheaper for Presonus).

Bob Sanchez
Sep 12, 2007

by Fistgrrl
Check this out

This happens within a matter of days. The white finish glistens in the silky starlights and it has a neck that is truly alive.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Agreed posted:

I'm going to start a modeling megathread in the next day or two to focus the discussion on modeling.

Please do this, I don't know where to start when it comes to messing with EQ, and I also can't get the recto in GR3 to sound good.

Also, here's a couple clips of me butchering some songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVtsPfC8-Hg
(this is with Agreed's Amplitube Metal boosted Randall Warhead preset, bridge pickup)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7ROxS0FfzE
(this is GR3's Xtreme metal preset which is the Bogner + Dime Distortion, neck pickup)

Leviathan fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 20, 2008

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Agreed posted:

I'm going to start a modeling megathread in the next day or two to focus the discussion on modeling. I think it's about time to do that, and I think there's enough interest. My project for this winter break is to finish my modeler comparison, and to review both Amplitube Metal and Guitar Rig in-depth. 'til then, it'll be clips, comparisons, and conversation - hopefully enough to keep the thread going 'til I get time to dig as deep as I want to.

Please do. I want to post clips of me modeling gear I have and have people guess.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've been wanting to get a new guitar, but I have a few criterion that I can't seem to find for a decent price.
  • 7 Strings
  • 24 Frets
  • Whammy Bar
So far the only one I can find is the Schecter C7FR (link here, picture (self hosted) here ). Any suggestions?

(posted this here because if there aren't any suggestions, This will be my next major purchase)

(Sorry of SALR converted the image link)

Gorilla Salsa fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 20, 2008

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I've been wanting to get a new guitar, but I have a few criterion that I can't seem to find for a decent price. [list]
[*]7 Strings
[*]24 Frets
[*]Whammy Bar

Either of these suit you?

http://www.rondomusic.com/product2218.html

http://www.rondomusic.com/hornetpro7bk.html

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Bob Sanchez posted:

Check this out

This happens within a matter of days. The white finish glistens in the silky starlights and it has a neck that is truly alive.

My god, that looks nice. Parker necks are incredibly sweet, and I love the weight... but that paint job? Amazing.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Bob Sanchez posted:

Check this out

Badass, man. I love Parkers but I just can't get myself to drop the cash on one.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Just pulled the trigger on a Roland Cube 100 Bass Amp:

This Live Cashback thing really makes GAS all the worse . . .

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I'll give you guys a teaser.

I'm not sure my newest purchase will be able to fit inside my car.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Noise Machine posted:

Church Organ.

Rimjob Rodeo
Apr 29, 2004

Noise Machine posted:

An orchestra?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

Carbohydrates posted:

Badass, man. I love Parkers but I just can't get myself to drop the cash on one.

With all your guitars, and you cant drop some on a parker? :monocle:

Ive got a Parker P-38 (SSH), and its a fantastic instrument, albeit inexpensive (IE its not carbon fiber...). Mine had a scratchy pot issue, but as soon as I replaced it, all was well with the world. Unfortunatley, my piezos started wearing out, and some of the strings dont really ring anymore, so I dont use it much when I play now. I wish I could have gotten a nightfly or one of the carbon fiber necks, they are like sex...

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
anyone wanna recommend some alternatives to an RE-20 so I can pick one, buy it and put it in this thread? RE-20 seems fine but I'd like to know my options.

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Noise Machine posted:

The Voxmobile?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?
This is not quite the intended purpose of this thread, but I seem to recall a bunch of pages back someone talking about the Rode NT-1 condenser mic. I want a versatile, warm mic that's good for acoustic guitar recording as well as vocals and whatever else I wanna throw at it in ye olde home studio. I've got a couple of SM58s, but nothing that's any good at recording instruments/from further away.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Rode-NT1-A-C...A1%7C240%3A1318

If anyone who's got one has any comments as to its suitability I would be appreciative... and if they're positive, I'll buy it.

Edit: Or maybe you can suggest a better alternative?

flummox
Jul 17, 2004
I want a shoehorn, the kind with teeth.

Capitan Dad posted:

anyone wanna recommend some alternatives to an RE-20 so I can pick one, buy it and put it in this thread? RE-20 seems fine but I'd like to know my options.

Shure SM7, Sennhieser 421/441. Heil Sound makes some great dynamics as well.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

flummox posted:

Shure SM7, Sennhieser 421/441. Heil Sound makes some great dynamics as well.

boss "roland space echo" re-20

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
:3:

The whole thing looks a little more dark than it is, blame my piss poor photography skills.

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Capitan Dad posted:

Pretty much all delay units out on the market nowadays will have some kind of tape echo emulation, but the RE-20 is something of an exotic effect since it's really aimed at emulating that specific sound from the old Roland Space Echos. So if you find that you really like that sound you may as well just go with the RE-20.

Other options are the TC Electronic Nova Delay and Line 6 DL4 which are the same price as the RE-20, and if you really wanted to blow your load on a delay unit there's the Eventide TimeFactor at $400. God that thing is sexy.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Capitan Dad posted:

Eventide time factor, or the old line6 delay which had some ok emulations and they made a pedal version of it (and maybe they have a new one now?).

The time factor is a bad motherfucker, but expensive.

(dammit cyne, and also I guess re: the line6 they only discontinued the rack and you can still get the dl4 pedal version, figures)

breaks fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 20, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trellio
Feb 18, 2007

by Ozma

Just bought a simple little amp to carry around to people's houses because it's a lot easier than lugging around 60 lbs of amp.

I'll excuse the cheesy name because it was cheap and sounds surprisingly good.