Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Shamurai posted:

We got a dauchsund recently, rescued from a pet shelter. He wasn't abused in his previous home, which is what makes this habit so weird. There are times when we call him, and he will simply stand still, stare at you and make incredibly high pitched yelps, for no reason. there seems to be no pattern to this and I can't tell why he does it. can anyone offer some advice ?

A. Dachshunds are stubborn as hell.
B. One reason dachshunds don't shut up when yelled at to is because they like joining in. They think you are barking with them. He may just be talking back to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

Shamurai posted:

We got a dauchsund recently, rescued from a pet shelter. He wasn't abused in his previous home, which is what makes this habit so weird. There are times when we call him, and he will simply stand still, stare at you and make incredibly high pitched yelps, for no reason. there seems to be no pattern to this and I can't tell why he does it. can anyone offer some advice ?

I'd get his eyes checked. I hate to say it, but when my Dachshund started doing this (when she was 17 years old) it was because she was going blind and couldn't find us/see where we were calling from.

Space Harrier
Apr 19, 2007
GET READY!!!!
My seven month old kitten is getting bored, and this is causing her to become somewhat destructive. She has started eating a spot of carpet under the door and has ripped it to shreds- nothing I've tried seems to deter her. I've put down tape and heavy plastic coverings but if I'm away for more than a few hours, she'll manage to lift them away to eat at the carpet.

At the moment, she is a solitary kitten but she is extremely affectionate and hates being left alone. I would like to change this in the future by getting her a friend to play with, but at this time that's not an option for me.

Is there anything I can do to keep my cat happy and occupied when I'm away from home? Does anyone have any suggestions for good toys she can play with by herself?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Shamurai posted:

The previous owners may have encouraged it, either knowingly or not. The dog may be just figured out that that particular noise gets attention, or it may be something he's been trained to do. One of my dogs makes this awesome Wookie noise, and we've encouraged it to the point that she'll do it on command (usually) these days.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
How safe are used cat trees? The two 6 footers I have are sufficient for now, but I see them on Craigslist from time to time, and I wonder if a cat tree can harbor any contagious kitty germs.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

What in the hell is this:

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

It looks like a photoshop :-/

May not be, but I've not seen one of these before, nor can I find it by searching :(

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

KilGrey posted:

What in the hell is this:

I'm pretty sure it's a baby Sumatran Rhino: http://www.rhinos-irf.org/sumatran/

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Helanna posted:

It looks like a photoshop :-/

May not be, but I've not seen one of these before, nor can I find it by searching :(

I was thinking it was a photoshop as well but I wasn't sure. It looks like a rhinobear wuzzle.

sucks to ur assmar posted:

I'm pretty sure it's a baby Sumatran Rhino: http://www.rhinos-irf.org/sumatran/

Ah, that looks like it could be it. Thank you! :)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Looks like I've got a stray living in/around my backyard.

Looks cold and hungry, no collar but not THAT dirty. Could be someone's kitty, but not recently. Let me get pretty close before he turned hissy. I put out a bowl of water and a tiny bit of food.

Can someone please refer me to cat rescue group in the Walpole, MA area?

I called my Vet and they told me to call 'Angel Memorial Hospital'?!?!?!?!

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Two questions about my cat:

1) Can I feed her canned tuna? I'll drain it first but is okay? She went nuts when I was having a tuna sandwich from subway the other day and I'd like to give her a treat as she never really gets them. Can she have turkey or chicken sandwich slices?

2) Her bottom lip is a bit swollen. It got like that when she had fleas as well but I haven't seen a flea in weeks. I've got an appointment scheduled but I'm wondering what it could be in the meantime.

Thanks ahead!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

People food is a bad idea, for several reasons.

TINY amounts of meat are OK for an OCCASIONAL treat. You are much better off buying actually kitty treats at the store.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Dr.Khron posted:

People food is a bad idea, for several reasons.

TINY amounts of meat are OK for an OCCASIONAL treat. You are much better off buying actually kitty treats at the store.

Real meat is actually healthier than most treats that are sold at stores. Most treats have lovely meat sources (by-products) and plenty of other additives that cats shouldn't be eating, like corn gluten meal. I disagree with the blanket statement that healthy kitty treats come from a store and I say that the cat is probably better off eating the "people food" than the majority of treats sold at pet stores. There are some drat good treats out there, but those are pretty much just, you've guessed it: pure meat. Canned tuna is like crack for cats, try to use it as a reward instead of just because your cat is cutely begging for it. Remember, if you keep rewarding your cat for begging, then the cat is going to beg all the time (not cute).

People food isn't different than pet food; hopefully we're all eating decent cuts of meat, plenty of fruits and veggies, and minimizing non-nutritious stuff like sugar. Cats don't need to season their food, but its silly to say that animal food comes from a bag PERIOD. That said, do avoid sharing heavily seasoned or spicy food with your pets, and definitely avoid those foods that animals shouldn't have (like onions and chocolate).

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ok, sorry, I spoke too broadly.

But in the original post, the guy was talking about preserved foods, like chicken and turkey loaf. Fresh, RAW meat is fine for kitties, but cold cuts, no.

(in fact, you could argue that cold cuts aren't good for people, either, but that would be a different sub-forum altogether)

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Ok awesome, so the canned Tuna is good. With the slices, I was referring to the kind you can get at the deli where they have the bigass chunk of Turkey or Chicken and you say you want a half pound of so and so and they slice it right there. Its pretty good stuff.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
Watch out for poop issues if you give meat or tuna a lot since too much rich food can cause that, and I'm assuming you don't want poo-splosions in your house.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname
My dog has been doing this for quite some time; skipping or not eating much of his 4, 5, or 6 meals... not in a day, but it seems every few days he will not eat a meal. His breed is Kai-ken, and they are somewhat feral, not recognized by the AKC yet. But he's been doing this for a while, so I don't suspect its something too terrible (he had giardia when we first got him). Should I take him to get a check up? He got Nuetered about a month ago, though I don't suspect that has much to do with it either. Heres a few things that I am throwing out there, not knowing how plausible they are:

1. Are we feeding him too much? He's almost 8 months old now, and probably around 40 lbs. Large for a Kai ken, but the breeder told us both his parents were large, and he was the largest of the bunch already, so she expected him to be above 45 lbs. I feed him Origen for puppies, 3 cups total a day (1.5 cups at 7 am and at 7 pm)

2. More exercise? These are pretty active dogs, and he's walked every morning. We also have an electric fence and allow him to run around outside while were home. I also play "fetch" with him when I get home, although its more me throwing the ball and him getting it, and sometimes bringing it to my general vicinity.

3. Could he be getting into som,ething when I'm not watching? Probably not inside, I'd notice, but perhaps outside? He killed a squirrel once, and he tried to bury it. It wasnt gory or anything, he probably just broke its neck. Maybe hes eating birds, or plant matter?

These are just some theories, don't let them affect whatever you think this might be. Also if its nothing, just let me know, I tend to worry a lot about the lil guy.

One last thing, should I consider free-feeding him? Or whatever its called when you just let them eat whenever they want? I usually leave the food out for 10-15 minuets, I've heard it attracts their "predator" mentality, where they have a certain time to get the food, although I'm not sure if I buy that. TIA to any responses <3

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

visuvius posted:

Ok awesome, so the canned Tuna is good. With the slices, I was referring to the kind you can get at the deli where they have the bigass chunk of Turkey or Chicken and you say you want a half pound of so and so and they slice it right there. Its pretty good stuff.

If you buy tuna canned with water, rather than oil, feel free to not even drain it first. My cat loves the liquid more than the tuna itself (and she LOOOVES the tuna), and will lick it all up before starting in on the meaty part.

I don't know where you live, but if you have a Trader Joe's by you - they sell a special "Cat Tuna," which is specifically made for cats. It's significantly cheaper than regular tuna, my cat loves it just as much, and it doesn't cause her to throw it up like regular tuna does on rare occasions.

cereal eater
Aug 25, 2008

I'd save these, if I wanted too

ps i dont deserve my 'king' nickname

cereal eater posted:

My dog has been doing this for quite some time; skipping or not eating much of his 4, 5, or 6 meals... not in a day, but it seems every few days he will not eat a meal. His breed is Kai-ken, and they are somewhat feral, not recognized by the AKC yet. But he's been doing this for a while, so I don't suspect its something too terrible (he had giardia when we first got him). Should I take him to get a check up? He got Nuetered about a month ago, though I don't suspect that has much to do with it either. Heres a few things that I am throwing out there, not knowing how plausible they are:

1. Are we feeding him too much? He's almost 8 months old now, and probably around 40 lbs. Large for a Kai ken, but the breeder told us both his parents were large, and he was the largest of the bunch already, so she expected him to be above 45 lbs. I feed him Origen for puppies, 3 cups total a day (1.5 cups at 7 am and at 7 pm)

2. More exercise? These are pretty active dogs, and he's walked every morning. We also have an electric fence and allow him to run around outside while were home. I also play "fetch" with him when I get home, although its more me throwing the ball and him getting it, and sometimes bringing it to my general vicinity.

3. Could he be getting into som,ething when I'm not watching? Probably not inside, I'd notice, but perhaps outside? He killed a squirrel once, and he tried to bury it. It wasnt gory or anything, he probably just broke its neck. Maybe hes eating birds, or plant matter?

These are just some theories, don't let them affect whatever you think this might be. Also if its nothing, just let me know, I tend to worry a lot about the lil guy.

One last thing, should I consider free-feeding him? Or whatever its called when you just let them eat whenever they want? I usually leave the food out for 10-15 minuets, I've heard it attracts their "predator" mentality, where they have a certain time to get the food, although I'm not sure if I buy that. TIA to any responses <3

Just to give a TLDR version of my above post:

My dog has been skipping meals once every couple days for a few days. Should I be worried? Any advice?

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

My cat has recently started to lick his butt... a LOT. Like, every other time I look at him he'd be curled over and going to town on himself.

When he's a kitten he used to have problems cleaning himself, which led to a few unpleasant episodes of me chasing him with baby wipes in hand... so it is somewhat unusual of him to suddenly pay so much attention to his butt. I haven't noticed any difference in his litterbox habits, and everything else seems fine, but could this be a sign of something? Or am I just being paranoid?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

cereal eater posted:

My dog has been doing this for quite some time; skipping or not eating much of his 4, 5, or 6 meals... not in a day, but it seems every few days he will not eat a meal.

Three cups a day sounds like too much food for your dog. There's a ton of calories in 3 cups of Orijen, and at 8 months old, your dog isn't growing as rapidly any more. He's probably just regulating himself. Its actually a good thing if your dog is hungry for his meals; so I'd keep with the scheduled feedings (just twice a day though) and avoid free freeding.

I believe the Kai-ken is a pretty fluffy spitz breed, so the visual markers of having a fatty won't be as apparent. Make sure that you can still feel his ribs and hip bones easily. If you're digging through skin and fat to find them, then your dog is chunky. I'd cut back on the food to 2 cups a day and see how it goes. For comparison, I've got two young adult dogs ~45 lbs and they eat 1.5 cups a food a day at 500 kcal/cup. Most feeding recommendations on pet food bags is going to be too much for your dog, so its better to use it as a starting point, and then adjust that amount based on body condition regularly. The beagles in Notsoape's Beagle thread are a good guide for body condition.

Unlike cats, dogs can also skip meals with no ill effects. Some knowledgeable breeders even fast their dogs (not puppies or lactating bitches, of course) for health reasons.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I have a pretty urgent question hopefully someone will answer, it's about my cat:
I'm moving in a few days, by car. A good 7 hour drive, and obviously I'm taking her with me.
My cat is a huge fat cat, she has a pretty large carrier to chill out in. but other than that i'm not sure what to do because i've never travelled with a pet before.
I don't want her to be stressed out, but i also don't want her to be wandering around the van the entire time because there will be boxes and furniture that could fall on her.
can any one tell me what will make this trip easier on her and me?

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I posted about this in the shiba-inu puppy-cam thread but I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for shiba-inu training. My cousin got a shiba-inu puppy recently, I think she is about 4 months old at this point and according to him she is an angel. He doesn't seem to believe my warnings that they can turn into dicks (according to other PIers) once they get older and are not trained properly.

So, in an effort to help him out since he is probably not going to want to give the puppy up at all, is there a website that I can send him that would be a good resource for training and discipline? Thanks much!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
This isn't urgent, but more of a save my nose thing... our beagle got into some garlic while my boyfriend and I were at work yesterday (we suspect he found it in the trash, though how he got into the can is something else all together) and not only did it make his poo poo reek of garlic, but by the morning he too reeked of the stuff. I normally like it, but not so much! It's horrible! Anyone have any idea how long it takes a garlic to go through a dog's system...?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Cosima posted:

I have a pretty urgent question hopefully someone will answer, it's about my cat:
I'm moving in a few days, by car. A good 7 hour drive, and obviously I'm taking her with me.
My cat is a huge fat cat, she has a pretty large carrier to chill out in. but other than that i'm not sure what to do because i've never travelled with a pet before.
I don't want her to be stressed out, but i also don't want her to be wandering around the van the entire time because there will be boxes and furniture that could fall on her.
can any one tell me what will make this trip easier on her and me?

As a teenager, my family moved cross-country (upstate New York to Arizona) with two cats, so I have some experience with this.

The biggest piece of advice I have is to get a harness for your cat, and put it on her on moving day, before you put her in the carrier. Then, stop once every hour or two while driving, take her out, clip on a leash and let her wander around. My parents' two cats handled this in two totally different ways: One tried to run the second we set her down (good thing the leash was firmly attached!) and the other would flop over passively and meow (his meow sounded like a lamb's bleat) at us. Either way, it's good to give her a stretch and some fresh air along the way. We would also take this time to put out a water dish and a dry food dish. They didn't always want to eat, of course, but again, the option is nice. And, if you're lucky, she'll go to the bathroom during those breaks instead of in the carrier.

On that note, you're going to want to have a nice stack of newspaper just in case. We lined the bottom of the carriers with newspaper before we put the cats in and changed it whenever there was an "accident."

Good luck!

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
thank you! i think i'm going to go look at harnesses in a half an hour.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
What are some reputable cocker spaniel breeders in the MD/DC/VA/PA area? (Not planning on getting one for a couple of years, just doing research for now). Preferably breeders that have colors other than solid black or solid buff (not that I have anything against those colors it's just that the those are the two colors that I've had already and I don't want to feel like I'm replacing them. Just a weird psychological thing).

Also, I haven't seen a lot of love for spaniels in PI. What's up with that? There are a lot of posts saying don't get a (insert breed) unless you are planning on (insert working activity), or (breed) is not a good choice for a first time dog owner. Is there such a requirement for cockers? How 'easy' are cockers on the scale from retired greyhound to akita? I've had 2 cockers but one was purchased from a pet store (before I was born) and the other we got when I was 10 so I don't know about how reputable the breeder was. My parents had the first cocker in an apartment for a year before I was born, but again, she was from a pet store so her energy level was probably not typical of the breed.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I don't know about breeders, but there's a breed rescue in Newington (northern VA) called Oldies But Goodies. Mostly older dogs, as the name suggests, but they have some young dogs and puppies. And they have every color you could imagine, since their dogs are such a motley assortment.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

jrr posted:

What are some reputable cocker spaniel breeders in the MD/DC/VA/PA area? (Not planning on getting one for a couple of years, just doing research for now). Preferably breeders that have colors other than solid black or solid buff (not that I have anything against those colors it's just that the those are the two colors that I've had already and I don't want to feel like I'm replacing them. Just a weird psychological thing).

Also, I haven't seen a lot of love for spaniels in PI. What's up with that? There are a lot of posts saying don't get a (insert breed) unless you are planning on (insert working activity), or (breed) is not a good choice for a first time dog owner. Is there such a requirement for cockers? How 'easy' are cockers on the scale from retired greyhound to akita? I've had 2 cockers but one was purchased from a pet store (before I was born) and the other we got when I was 10 so I don't know about how reputable the breeder was. My parents had the first cocker in an apartment for a year before I was born, but again, she was from a pet store so her energy level was probably not typical of the breed.

A question spawned by your questions:

I have never owned a cocker but I don't have a very good opinion of them because I have met several and every one has either been a raging bastard that no one can play with or pees uncontrollably. Are the cockers I'm meeting just really weird?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

jrr posted:

My family has had a cocker and currently a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I don't have a whole not of knowledge on the breed in general so I can only tell you from my personal experience. Both were/are awesome dogs who were very sweet. They both were/are stubborn but certainly not Shia/Akita bad. I've also heard from others they have a tendency to not be the smartest but the two I've had experience with were fine intelligence wise. The King Charles is the sweetest, most cuddly little girl ever. I never understood the term 'lap dog' until I met her. Energy wise neither seemed to overly energetic but did enjoy to play. The Cocker Spaniel was sweet, friendly and cuddly as well but not as 'lap doggy'.

The King Charles is still a puppy and my mom has been having a bitch of a time potty training. She's 8 months old and knows full well to potty outside but chooses not too if she doesn't want to. She got her from a breeder without my knowing and I'm sure it wasn't reputable. I tried to talk to my mom about it but she said the breeder was a good one because she had a nice house and loved her dogs. :rolleyes: I don't know if the bathroom problem is due to poor breeding or stubbornness on the dogs part so whether you'd have to face that I don't know. If anyone from PI knows I'm interested to hear if bad breeding can cause this issue.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

I had a Cavalier King Charles when I was growing up and she was lovely. My grandma had a Cocker Spaniel, and he had a wonderful temperament as well; very friendly, and tolerant of me poking at him all the time when we visited.

I haven't actually ever met an unfriendly Cocker Spaniel :D

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Helanna posted:

I haven't actually ever met an unfriendly Cocker Spaniel :D

You should get out more. 99% of the ones I've met have been little shits.

Now I hear Cavs are really mellow in spite of their silly looks, but I've never dealt with one in person. I've also never met a Clumber, which are also rumored to be very even-tempered.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

It's strange what different experiences people can have with a different breed. Granted I haven't met that many Cocker Spaniels, but most of my family have/have had spaniels of some kind (Springer, Cocker, Cavalier) as have some of my friends. I guess I've just met exceptionally nice ones then, if others think Cockers tend to be nasty :(

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Cocker Spaniels were seriously overbred in the last few decades, and the temperament of the breed really suffered as a result. Cocker Spaniels can be snappish, and have gotten a reputation for being unpleasant. That said, the breed is SUPPOSED to be a good family pet, and getting one from a good breeder is going to be paramount. They're medium-smart dogs (but not Border Collie smart) and they're active dogs (but not GSD-active). They'll do just fine in an apartment, and are pretty adaptable dogs in general. The grooming can be a chore if they've got lots of feathering and big bevels (bell-bottoms on the feet), but you can also keep their coats as short as you find convenient. Learning to groom a Cocker is super-easy, too, so you can save a lot of money by doing it yourself.

To find a good breeder of any breed, start at the national breed club's website. All of the breed clubs have a list of breeders that are in good standing with the breed club, and who have agreed to the breed's ethical code. If you're interested in a dog that excels at certain things (hunting, herding, agility, flyball, etc.) then you'd be better off with getting to know people in the sport and finding out which kennel/breeder has a good track record of success in the sport.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

KilGrey posted:

If anyone from PI knows I'm interested to hear if bad breeding can cause this issue.
I can't think of any way bad breeding could cause house-training problems, except in two cases: they introduce some sort of weird bladder disorder, or the puppies are raised in small kennels and mess where they sleep. I think the issue with little dogs like Cavs (our family has two) is it's really easy for them to sneak off and piss behind the couch without anyone noticing. It's a lot easier to miss a little puddle now and then, when with a big dog the issue would be more obvious.

Has she tried tethering? We have some marking issues with one of our dogs - keeping a very close eye on him helps, as does the belly band we bought. Consistency is really, really importing for house training.

quote:

Now I hear Cavs are really mellow in spite of their silly looks
This is true. They're definitely not the smartest of all dogs, but they're very people-oriented and overall very mellow. Ours will happily chill on a lap for half the day, as long as they get in a good walk or two. (And if you don't have food :supaburn: ) There are some breeders who focus on active/sporty Cavaliers, who are more like working spaniels, but I'm not sure how common that is.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
Thanks for all for all of the information, you guys.

I know that all of the milling has caused cockers to be aggressive but wouldn't I avoid that by going to a reputable breeder? When you say that cockers have been seriously overbred, that only refers to BYBs and mills, right? That's one of the reasons I am leaning towards going to a breeder as opposed to rescuing. Their temperament is what I love about them. Although I suppose with a rescue dog, I'd know from the foster family if they were snappish or aggressive. My cockers have both been complete velcro dogs. They followed me around the house and were total lapdogs and things like that.

I was considering clumbers, as well (I made a post about it on here a couple months ago) but after doing some more research, I found they were dwarf dogs and I don't think I could handle the health problems that came along with that. If my dog hurt his back and was unable to walk anymore, I'd be too sad. Also, I think cockers are the perfect size. I like being able to pick my dog up occasionally to give her extra hugs, but she's still big enough (read: not a toy dog) to give hugs without feeling like I'll squish her to death.

About the urinating, my dogs both peed when they were excited (usually because somebody new came to the house). It's something that I've heard is pretty common but I don't know if it's due to poor housetraining or breeding or what. My dog could have just gone and peed outside a minute ago but if there's a new person at the door, she's going to piddle a little. It's like she has an extra bladder just for that. She's also had a couple of UTIs. I don't know if that's because of poor breeding, but I did just convince my parents to switch from Purina to Wellness a couple months ago.

edit: I keep forgetting, with respect to grooming, we've always kept our dogs in puppy cuts to make it easier. We always took them to a groomer but I think I would like to try doing it myself, in the future.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

jrr posted:

Thanks for all for all of the information, you guys.

I know that all of the milling has caused cockers to be aggressive but wouldn't I avoid that by going to a reputable breeder? When you say that cockers have been seriously overbred, that only refers to BYBs and mills, right? That's one of the reasons I am leaning towards going to a breeder as opposed to rescuing. Their temperament is what I love about them. Although I suppose with a rescue dog, I'd know from the foster family if they were snappish or aggressive. My cockers have both been complete velcro dogs. They followed me around the house and were total lapdogs and things like that.

Milling and BYBing is definitely the culprit; there are a lot of lovely looking, ill-tempered Cockers out there these days. Responsible breeders are going to have a whole 'nother class of Cocker Spaniel, for the most part, so the point is probably moot anyway. Rescuing a Cocker could work out fine, but if a particular temperament is important to you, then the breeder route makes the most sense. If I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for breeders that get their dogs obedience titles on top of show titles.

I also wanted to add there are a several other spaniel breeds that rock, though they may be bigger than what you're looking for. I personally like Brittanys, Field Spaniels, and both English and Welch Springers, all medium-sized and hardy dogs. I personally prefer an English Cocker over an American one, simply because I think the lighter feathering is more practical and because my childhood best buddy was an English Cocker. :)

SeldomSeen
Apr 26, 2003

True Story...

I'm looking for some recommendations for books on dog training. I'd like to adopt a dog soon and I want to train it properly. I picked up "How to be Your Dog's Best
Friend" at a library sale, it's good, but I'd like some more specific advice. I'd like to be sure it includes information on crate training. Good websites for this kind of information would be great as well. Thanks for the help.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

SeldomSeen posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations for books on dog training. I'd like to adopt a dog soon and I want to train it properly. I picked up "How to be Your Dog's Best
Friend" at a library sale, it's good, but I'd like some more specific advice. I'd like to be sure it includes information on crate training. Good websites for this kind of information would be great as well. Thanks for the help.

My favorite dog training book is actually for puppies, "You and Your Puppy". Its got excellent training info for basic obedience skills, plus it has lots of info on how to use tether training to teach good behavior. Its very much in line with PI's training philosophy. Don't forget to check out the PI FAQ and crating document. Lots of good info there.

edited to add: Every dog is different, and what works great for one dog can be traumatizing to another, or completely ineffective. I recommend checking out a number of training books from the library so that you have a wide range of "tools" to use. The show "Its Me or the Dog" is also pretty great, and is much more relevant to the pet owner than Cesar Milan's show.

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 21, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Cuddlebottom posted:

I can't think of any way bad breeding could cause house-training problems, except in two cases: they introduce some sort of weird bladder disorder, or the puppies are raised in small kennels and mess where they sleep. I think the issue with little dogs like Cavs (our family has two) is it's really easy for them to sneak off and piss behind the couch without anyone noticing. It's a lot easier to miss a little puddle now and then, when with a big dog the issue would be more obvious.

Has she tried tethering? We have some marking issues with one of our dogs - keeping a very close eye on him helps, as does the belly band we bought. Consistency is really, really importing for house training.

She's tried tethering. She's tried taking the dog out every 2 hours, she's tried waiting longer in between to make sure the dog pees when they go out and that's why they are there, not to play. She knows to take the dog out after playing in the house, after eating, when they get home, before bedtime, before leaving in addition to the extra trips. She's never used pee pads so the dog can't be confused from that. It's not that she stays to short outside either. I've seen my mom sit out there for 2 hours before, finally give up and come inside only for the dog to poop on the carpet 3 minutes later when my mom went to pee herself. The dog knows she's not supposed to do it in the house because she always hides when she does it and has never gone in front of anyone else.

Whenever the dog pees/poops outside she gets everything short of a full marching band parade for praise. My mom also pairs it with 'potty' and then a treat when she goes. The puppy knows when she pees/poops to run get a treat from my mom without my mom even offering however if she goes in the house she doesn't ask for on. The dog is very treat driven, to the point I feel my mom needs to stop using them. Like lets say the puppy is chewing on the corner of the couch. My mom tells her to stop and she does, then comes running for a treat. She'll then go back to the couch and start chewing on it again while staring at my mom waiting for her to tell her to stop so she can get a treat again. If you tell her again to stop she'll come running over without even being offered a treat and sit there until you give her one.

Some of the other things my mom has tried is when they go out to pee and the puppy tries to just play, my mom has put her on a leash so she has more control on what the dog does and cant' just gently caress around. If my mom has to leave her at home, she's crated and has NEVER gone in her crate. When my mom tethered her, she didn't go in the house. However after a week of tethering and my mom took her off, she was back to peeing in the house. The dog knows full well not to pee in the house and to ask to go outside she just doesn't want to and my mom is at her wits end.

Help PI! :cry: