Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
^^ Whattup blue 'busa buddy?

Turbo, or just extremely short pipes? Can't quite make out what's going on in that picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looks pretty good debadged, and I dont usually like that.

Missing an exhaust though :confused:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Tips where the mufflers would be, it's loud as gently caress but necessary here in florida where old people can't hear you and will just run your rear end over.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Here we go....

Bird-o-matic
Apr 19, 2007

its u, your the one, the rill dill
i look into ur eyes and i see

:ccb:

Phat_Albert posted:

Here we go....

We could all just go read the archived megathread and pretend we had the argument all over again...

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
v:v:v

What can I say, I've heard them all.

It's not going to burn a valve because there's plenty of header to avoid it.

It's not going to cause backpressure issues.

Altering my driving habits here to avoid situations so that geriatrics won't take me out is impossible short of just not riding because seriously, if you have never ridden in daytona beach then you have no clue.

It's loud, yes, but it doesn't cause problems unless I stand on the throttle, which I don't. If that makes me a douchebag, I am surprisingly ok with that.

Other than that, yes, I did get it tuned this way and yes I did spend the extra cash to get a custom power commander map for it.

That should cover it I guess, so now we can get back to looking at people's bieks.

peengers fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 16, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

peengers posted:

Tips where the mufflers would be, it's loud as gently caress but necessary here in florida where old people can't hear you and will just run your rear end over.

The second part is why the first part is stupid. Furthermore, you act like because people hear you or see you they're not going to run you over.

I'd almost respect people more if they just said "Yeah, I like it and gently caress everyone else". Everyone thinks traffic is more horrible in their parts of the world.

To contribute, though, here's the last shots of my XR before it goes up on the chopping block...friend never transfered it out of my name, so I guess it's still my bike! :woop:

Click here for the full 600x800 image.

I got it to start on the first kick, which was pretty good, but the carbs are clogged to poo poo. :mad:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Z3n posted:

The second part is why the first part is stupid. Furthermore, you act like because people hear you or see you they're not going to run you over.

No, I act like having a loud bike means that there is a distinct possibility that they'll hear me beside them.

quote:

I'd almost respect people more if they just said "Yeah, I like it and gently caress everyone else". Everyone thinks traffic is more horrible in their parts of the world.

I've ridden regularly in DC during rush hour and it's no where near as packed with idiots as florida is, especially daytona. Within three weeks of owning my bike I was merged into 6 times, and each time I avoided getting killed because I pay attention to my surroundings. The day I bought this bike, I met two people with horrendous road rash because they got tagged by old people that just drove away, oblivious to the fact that they almost killed someone.

But hey, by all means continue to stroke your neckbeard while voicing your opinion on the internet.

quote:

I got it to start on the first kick, which was pretty good, but the carbs are clogged to poo poo. :mad:

What happened to it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

peengers posted:

No, I act like having a loud bike means that there is a distinct possibility that they'll hear me beside them.

Furthermore, you act like because people hear you or see you they're not going to run you over. Loud pipes are stupid as a defense mechanism because they still rely on the other people on the road to do something smart...which is always a losing bet.

quote:

What happened to it?

Sat in my friend's garage for too long without being run. Apparently I'm the only person that can kick start the drat thing. It's not in bad shape, it starts right up, it just needs some time and love that I don't have to put into it right now. I "sold" it to my friend, he was lazy, and now he's selling it, the TTR, and his GSX-R to fund trackbikes for him and his son.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I'll miss that TTR, the best stoppie bike known to mankind :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 16, 2008

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Z3n posted:

Furthermore, you act like because people hear you or see you they're not going to run you over. Loud pipes are stupid as a defense mechanism because they still rely on the other people on the road to do something smart...which is always a losing bet.

I think that you're mixing being complacent with doing what you can to minimize risk.

quote:

Sat in my friend's garage for too long without being run. Apparently I'm the only person that can kick start the drat thing. It's not in bad shape, it starts right up, it just needs some time and love that I don't have to put into it right now. I "sold" it to my friend, he was lazy, and now he's selling it, the TTR, and his GSX-R to fund trackbikes for him and his son.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

I'll miss that TTR, the best stoppie bike known to mankind :(

The gixxer looks reasonably clean. I don't know anything about track bikes though. Sucks, I hate it when people don't take care of things that I give them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

peengers posted:

I think that you're mixing being complacent with doing what you can to minimize risk.

No, I just don't think it's worth pissing off all of those other people on the offchance that it's going to stop someone from merging into me. I know loud pipes piss off other people, because i'm a motorcyclist and they piss me off when I don't want to hear it. I also know that it's not going to stop people from merging into me...so while it's a promise they'll piss people off, it's not a promise they'll stop anyone from merging into me.

In the "sounds cool" aspect, they're great...I just don't think it's worth it to sound cool in exchange for people, cops, and random bystanders hating on me for having a loud bike. You'd be amazed at how much less cop attention you get when they don't hear you coming a mile away. I run stock pipes on my bike because I don't need more power and I've avoided at least 3 tickets by now by seeing the cop first because he didn't hear me coming. It's great to watch them look up, uninterested, as I cruise by at 15 over simply because I don't have a pipe on the bike. Obviously, if I'm not making sound, I must not be going that fast. :haw:

quote:

The gixxer looks reasonably clean. I don't know anything about track bikes though. Sucks, I hate it when people don't take care of things that I give them.

Track bikes have loud exhausts ;)

And I kinda sold the bike to him, kinda gave it away. It's a long story. But he keeps my bikes and spares in his garage for free, taught me how to ride, and helped me take care of my bikes when I blew engines in them, so I don't mind so much. It was half my fault for being the only person who could start it anyways and not starting it when I was up there. :v:

His GSX-R is quite nice, but that was a poo poo year for GSX-Rs...the year that the 600 and the 750 shared the same frame and engine, the 600 was just sleeved down. Hopefully soon he'll have a SV with all the toys on it for his track/twisties toy. His son is getting a racebuilt EX500 engine in a GSX-R frame for his trackbike. Pretty sweet little setup.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 16, 2008

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Z3n posted:

No, I just don't think it's worth pissing off all of those other people on the offchance that it's going to stop someone from merging into me.

Well, since I changed to stubby pipes I haven't had a single instance of someone merging into me and it's been months. I also don't get hassled by cops because, as I said, I don't make an rear end of myself. To be quite honest I really don't care if the noise pisses people off, because as an added benefit it loving sounds great to me and they'll get over it.

Ah well. We need more biek pics.

And good point from the ticket side of things, however, most of the riding I do has cops in well known areas so I don't worry about it too much. And I'm thinking my next mod might be a laser interceptor anyway.. :)

peengers fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 16, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

peengers posted:

Well, since I changed to stubby pipes I haven't had a single instance of someone merging into me and it's been months. I also don't get hassled by cops because, as I said, I don't make an rear end of myself. To be quite honest I really don't care if the noise pisses people off, because as an added benefit it loving sounds great to me and they'll get over it.

Ah well. We need more biek pics.

And good point from the ticket side of things, however, most of the riding I do has cops in well known areas so I don't worry about it too much. And I'm thinking my next mod might be a laser interceptor anyway.. :)

Word:

I'll probably ride this thing as much as his son will...

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

I'll post some more images when I go pick it up :) I'll be tearing it down, cleaning the carbs, taking care of some other odds and ends on it...just the usual for a track bike that's been sitting. I do all the mechanical work for my friend as a way of repaying him for housing my bikes and spares, so I've got some investment in all of his bikes too :)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

w00t new tank

I started out with the stock Bonneville tank, found it didn't hold enough for my purposes, and moved up to the Norman Hyde SS tank. That also had a number of problems which I won't go through again here. But... I finally have what I've been looking for.

This is a one-off tank custom made by Evan Wilcox in Ukiah, California. It's made of aluminum, has a centrally-mounted sealed cap, a breather tube running to the charcoal cannister, and it holds 7.5 gallons of fuel. Given the weight of my bike with full touring gear, I get about 35 mpg, which puts my range above 250 miles.

Evan calls it the Triumph GS Clubman tank, based off of an old BSA Gold Star tank design.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
that's a big goddamn tank. you gonna get some triumph logos for it? i think it's lacking without them.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Nice. Is it clearcoated or is it just straight aluminum?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm unsure if I'll get decals for it. The aluminum is very nice by itself.

And nope, no clearcoat, just bare metal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That is a loving badass tank. My next bike will have a huge tank for long trips. :3:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rope kid posted:

I'm unsure if I'll get decals for it. The aluminum is very nice by itself.

And nope, no clearcoat, just bare metal.

Hoo boy, you'll have to keep up on the polishing, so it doesnt oxidize.

Looks great though.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Thanks. Yeah, I know polishing may be a bit of a pain, but the clearcoat on the Norman Hyde tank really detracted from the look overall, I think.

I rode from SF to Orange County today. It was nice to see NO GAS FOR XXX MILES signs and just be like yeah whatevs.

ail
Jul 8, 2003

by The Finn
won't it get rather warm in the sun

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think so. It was in the sun all day today and had no problems. I never had any problems with my Norman Hyde tank in the sun, either. My seat tended to get a lot warmer than my tank.

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Bought this '01 F650GS Dakar in late September. After some cooling problems and a head gasket change she's finally healthy. This is as adventure-y a shot as she'll ever get.

Legerdemain fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 10, 2009

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

1982 Honda CM250C, bought it last night for $300, works great! Next step is to register it.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I know polishing may be a bit of a pain, but the clearcoat on the Norman Hyde tank really detracted from the look overall, I think.

Since it's aluminum you could get it clear anodized. That'd take care of your oxidation issues, and so long as it's polished to gently caress before you get it ano'd it shouldn't have a noticeable effect on the finish.

npn
Mar 7, 2006

Legerdemain posted:

This is as adventure-y a shot as she'll ever get.
This makes me sad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Legerdemain posted:

Bought this '01 F650GS Dakar
watch out for catastrophic fork failure!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371650

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

npn posted:

This makes me sad.

Yeah I was going to say the same roughly. What you going to put it in your living room or something?

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.
Well, I'm a new rider. Never say never, I guess, but my big accomplishment today was a twenty mile ride to the mall.

npn
Mar 7, 2006

Legerdemain posted:

Well, I'm a new rider. Never say never, I guess, but my big accomplishment today was a twenty mile ride to the mall.
Fair enough I suppose. Once you get a bit more confidence up don't be afraid to explore a gravel road here and there. That bike is made for it and, if you take it easy at first, smooth dirt really isn't that hard and you'll end up in some cool places.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Z3n posted:

That was a cunning lead in.

And yeah, dude, gear up a little. My g/f lost her dad at 15 and I wouldn't wish that on anyone, but at least she was old enough to understand it. Your toddler will be horribly hosed up if you die in a motorcycle accident. My g/f just went through an accident and wouldn't be walking right now if not for her gear. She still got a fair bit messed up, but she's still a walking, talking human being as a result of her gear. Don't do it for you, do it for the little girl that should have a father.

This is the exact reason that, even during the hot summer months of GA (95F + 90% humidity, every day) I wear full gear for everything except for quick trips down to the convenience store when I leave my over pants at home.

Lawn
Jan 15, 2004

Positive Paul!
I just an XT 225 recently:

Still under 900 miles and a 1000 mile break in... on a '94 bike. Still stock tires too, which I need to get around to replacing. They don't exactly inspire confidence in cornering.

Lawn fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 24, 2008

civilian.d
Sep 21, 2006

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
I just got a 2000 SV650 this weekend. It's got 8500 miles on it, totally stock, runs like a dream. Nothing you all haven't seen a thousand times before - but it's pretty exciting to me!

Crappy cell-phone pic from tonight. Past couple of days in Seattle have been absolutely beautiful.

I'm pretty broke so I'm gonna try and do some hackin' on the fender instead of buying a fender elim. kit. Stock exhaust seems to think it's a lawnmower :iiam:, so I've got a Holeshot slip-on in my sights. They've got a close-out deal on their 1st gen SV650 systems, so they're quite affordable at the moment, and they sound really nice.

edit: i'm a good spellar! :hurr:

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

ail posted:

won't it get rather warm in the sun

Aluminum reflects over 90% of both visible and infrared radiation and is an excellent thermal conductor as well. Heat should build up much less than a painted tank.

Also it looks sweeeeet.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

civilian.d posted:

I'm pretty broke so I'm gonna try and do some hackin' on the fender instead of buying a fender elim. kit.

The SV650 of that generation had a longer mudguard/fender than the SV650S of the same years. If the longer mudguard bothers you but you want SOME protection from mud/debris flinging up your back, try finding an older SV650S mudguard on eBay. That way, you get a good quality finish (no hackjob like you might get doing it yourself), complete with license plate light and good turn signal mounts (unlike a fender eliminator).

Then again if you want it really short, hack away.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Would taking away some of the fairings from my zx600 cause any problems? The lower fairing that wraps around the exhaust headers and kinda focuses air at the radiator is the one I am talking about. Some of the mounting tabs on the plastic were hosed already and the less plastic the better.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

dietcokefiend posted:

Would taking away some of the fairings from my zx600 cause any problems? The lower fairing that wraps around the exhaust headers and kinda focuses air at the radiator is the one I am talking about. Some of the mounting tabs on the plastic were hosed already and the less plastic the better.

This should probably be followed up on in one of the questions threads if you have more questions, but other than a possible lack of support between the two side fairings (take the thing off and see if they wobble) theres really not any reason to remove fairing pieces if you want to.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

pr0zac posted:

This should probably be followed up on in one of the questions threads if you have more questions, but other than a possible lack of support between the two side fairings (take the thing off and see if they wobble) theres really not any reason to remove fairing pieces if you want to.

Well they have been off since I put the bike back together. No wobble once I actually put the bolts back into place :v:

Net Boners
Mar 2, 2002

did you go to town with hot wheel tracks, Joan Quinn?

Got it last Sunday and had about 5 minutes on it before I had to go out of town for a week. Just got done practicing the motions for starting on hills which is the one thing I'm not comfortable with yet and is very important for Charlottesville.

e: More info. '09 250R with about 3 miles on the clock and that's my Evo looking jealous in the background.

Net Boners fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 1, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

buns of molybdenum posted:

Got it last Sunday and had about 5 minutes on it before I had to go out of town for a week. Just got done practicing the motions for starting on hills which is the one thing I'm not comfortable with yet and is very important for Charlottesville.

e: More info. '09 250R with about 3 miles on the clock and that's my Evo looking jealous in the background.
Hmm.. 250R eh? How much was it? 6? 7k? ;)

They've done a good job with the styling, I thought it was a ZX-6R. :ughh: