Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qlat
Aug 12, 2003

MW posted:

What's with the wings?
The laptop is actually sitting on a Targus Lapdesk. Basically, it provides a hard surface so the laptop can actually ventilate. Free after rebate on Black Friday a couple years ago :D. It's not the most well built thing out there, but it gets the job done.

qlat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 10, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Network
Sep 17, 2008
I was that bored to whip out my camera and take a quick snap of my (actual) desktop.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Network posted:

I was that bored to whip out my camera and take a quick snap of my (actual) desktop.

I still don't get why you'd spend the money for surround sound speakers then put the rear speakers in front of you :confused:

Network
Sep 17, 2008

jmmtn4aj posted:

I still don't get why you'd spend the money for surround sound speakers then put the rear speakers in front of you :confused:

It's because Bestbuy had a deal where the 5.1 speakers were actually cheaper than the 3.1 speaker set, and they were the exact same model.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Network posted:

What size are those dual monitors? I have the same desk (except mine's the light color and far messier), and will eventually be able to afford to upgrade from my 19" CRT.

False Toaster
Dec 29, 2006

Stupidity, its both physically and mentally painful.

Network posted:

It's because Bestbuy had a deal where the 5.1 speakers were actually cheaper than the 3.1 speaker set, and they were the exact same model.

He's asking why are your speakers setup like that, he's not asking about where you bought them from.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Xaalouse posted:

He's asking why are your speakers setup like that, he's not asking about where you bought them from.

There's no place behind him to set up the rear channels. He only bought the 5.1 speakers because it's essentially two extra speakers for free and anyone would do that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

You guys really need more cute things to liven up your computer desks.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Just got a 24" monitor, went up from a 19". This thing is a monster but I love it. Now I just need some speakers that actually match it.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Better picture of the tower and UPS underneath. You can also just barely see my external HD on top of the tower. Oh and HP Laser printer that I got for like $25 thanks to the Coupons forum. :D

Azzmo
Jul 2, 2007
STUPID MINORITIES ALWAYS MAKING ME FEEL UNCOMFORTABLE TO BE A WHITE MALE

Sirotan posted:

This was my previous place. My friends called me a fag but hey...I like the color:

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Cool desktop picture. Can I get a link, please?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

thegloaming posted:

Cool desktop picture. Can I get a link, please?

Here you go:

Click here for the full 1920x1200 image.

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

lox fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 21, 2012

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

Sirotan posted:

You are absolutely loving right I do. Where did you get that tissue holder?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Alright here is the last photo I'm going to submit of my desk. I finally mounted the monitors on stands so it's a perfect wall of display.

Having an entire monitor for uTorrent and SABnzbd and then another entire monitor for irssi is pretty nice. I mostly use the left 22" for poker and XBMC and the right 22" is for browsing and email and foobar.

I have a Dreamcast that I want to hook up to a monitor but I'm waiting on an order from Monoprice before I hook it up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

glompix posted:

You are absolutely loving right I do. Where did you get that tissue holder?

Just one part of my Sirotan addiction. Unfortunately you can't buy them in the states. Its the mascot of this store in Japan called Mother Garden. Here's their website: http://www.rakuten.ne.jp/gold/sirotan/ . Sirotan is a seal that likes to dress up as other animals. :3:

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Alright here is the last photo I'm going to submit of my desk. I finally mounted the monitors on stands so it's a perfect wall of display.

Are those monitors centered on your eyes? How tall are you?

How are you liking those stands? I got some ergotrons myself but I almost got those instead.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

IsaacNewton posted:

Are those monitors centered on your eyes? How tall are you?

How are you liking those stands? I got some ergotrons myself but I almost got those instead.
Monitors aren't supposed to be centered on eyes, they should be below eye level.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Monitors aren't supposed to be centered on eyes, they should be below eye level.

Got anything to back that? It's counter intuitive and very awkward for the neck.

Edit: Actually I can see it going both way, it gets to be a matter of preference.. but the screen should be angled toward your eyes no matter what.

IsaacNewton fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 13, 2008

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

IsaacNewton posted:

Got anything to back that? It's counter intuitive and very awkward for the neck.

Friend of the family consults ergonomic practices to companies and I've always been told to keep them eye level. To avoid possible neck problems, as you mentioned.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

IsaacNewton posted:

Edit: Actually I can see it going both way, it gets to be a matter of preference.. but the screen should be angled toward your eyes no matter what.
I had always heard that the top of the display should be eye level and couple months ago we were visited by an ergonomics consultant and she told me that the top of the display should actually be ~10 cm lower than eye level. This of course depends on how much you lean back.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!
I just moved into a new apartment not too long ago and re-setup my desktop...

I use 5 monitors and two computers (attached with Synergy). The wood box is a Klipsch La Scala Subwoofer:

My main two vertical monitors with left hand shortcut keypad:

My smaller desktop monitor used for AIM and also to read music on when I play my digital piano. Below are the controls for the Klipsch Hersey speakers on the right and La Scala subwoofers (I have another in the room :) ):

This is my laptop (bought from a goon in the SA Mart) with an accessory monitor mostly used for GBStv. I also have a ton of external backup harddrives and storage drives, the one on the left backs up my laptop.

I love maps and clocks so I decided to make this:

Bonus work desk! I ghost older PCs to send back to the manufacturer and usually do 6 at a time:

Here is a video of them all starting up into windows setup at the same time (6 setup musicals at once):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YymkNbAbaLY

ATwoSlotToaster fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 14, 2008

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Saukkis posted:

I had always heard that the top of the display should be eye level and couple months ago we were visited by an ergonomics consultant and she told me that the top of the display should actually be ~10 cm lower than eye level. This of course depends on how much you lean back.

Sounds more like it depends on the ergonomics consultant.

I don't need a protractor to sit right and neither do you.

Network
Sep 17, 2008

Delivery McGee posted:

What size are those dual monitors? I have the same desk (except mine's the light color and far messier), and will eventually be able to afford to upgrade from my 19" CRT.
They're normal 19" ViewSonic monitors.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Okay... I didn't clean up and this is the worst my home office has EVER looked.

I'm only home on the weekends (I stay in a hotel during the week about 130 miles from my house), and I really neglect this room. Having a dedicated office, however, is the best thing in the loving world. In the next few months I plan to build a custom desk that will seat myself, my wife, and our 2 kids. The desk area on the left is mine, and the area on the right is technically for my daughter, but she hasn't used it at all since we bought everyone in the family an inspiron mini.

You can see my duals, my work laptop, and my inspiron mini, along with a ton of other bullshit.

Anyways, I am REALLY living like poo poo, and you would never know it from looking at the rest of my house.

And for good measure, here's what's behind me when I'm at my desk

nobunny
Mar 10, 2004

LETS HAVE SNACKS
here is my contribution to the collective. i am sick and bored and live in filth.

this is my desktop where most of my projects originate. hiding in this picture: valuable WWII memorabilia including a nazi medal half melted by a grenade blast, zip kicker, and bomberman. also my whole apartment is this dark. i dont care.

this is my very interesting room where my laptop lives when it is not with me. i use it for music and video projection and mobile computing. out of curios, here is an heirloom buzzsaw that was left behind my building. it is very heavy and hard to move. also i noticed lots of midi keyboards in this post so maybe some synth nerds would like to see a bad photo of my synths. not shown: working safe, mummified turtle, a crazy ceiling, and lots of old electronics.

this is my ex-roommates old computer which has turned into a shrine of sorts. it is used to play files across the network on the television.

also just because it is amazing, here is a closeup of the skull with skulls for eyes. thank you i am impressed with my own genius.

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

I know single emote replies are normally frowned upon, but... :psyduck:

Lorben
Nov 8, 2005

I'm a song from the sixties
Taken 2 weeks ago, just after I moved my desk so I could remember what it looks like without crap all over it.

Click here for the full 480x640 image.

Mugmoor
Dec 13, 2006

I had a ruff day at work.

nobunny posted:

Holy poo poo

This looks disgusting... and really uncomfortable.

Living like poo poo anyone?

Rocketface
Jun 30, 2007

lil wayne posted:

speaking of new macbook, how is it?

The only other one i've really been around is the white plastic one and compared to that it's a big step up in design and quality. i can't speak for the performance compared to the older pros but i think regardless you'll be very happy.

Taureg
Sep 3, 2006

by Peatpot
Here is my desktop set-up with 24 inch Samsung LCD.

http://imgurl.filetac.com/image/69795250.jpg

Bonus ghost in the upper left corner

http://imgurl.filetac.com/image/69796830.jpg

Current Set-up with computer and x-box 360

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

1337 gamer pc
Dell Uber 30"
2.53ghz Unibody macbook pro

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Isbiten
Oct 23, 2005

Changed desk and bought new speakers since the last photo.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Got a new desk delivered yesterday (£90). I also bought a dual-head monitor arm (£60), and a second 24" Dell (cheap as poo poo, because it's the super basic 248FPW). I'm considering having the browser monitor in portrait mode, too.

Due to it only being in place for ~15 hours, it's not too messy yet. And the monitors need some serious color management.

I wanted to do a slap-up job with the cabling, but I'm off work with a hosed back, so climbing around under desks is a bit tricky.

Picture taken from my Aeron chair.

ATwoSlotToaster
Nov 6, 2004

You're toast!

frankenbeans posted:

I like your idea for little (cloth?) coasters. What exactly is that?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Click here for the full 1024x737 image.

Terrible photo since I've only got a tiny prime lens at the moment. Carefully cropped to hide my abysmal cable management - I will get busy with a drill and zip ties over the weekend, though.

z0r
Nov 28, 2007

by Fistgrrl

frankenbeans posted:

Aeron chair

:iamafag::respek::iamafag:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
My Steelcase Leap laughs at your Aerons.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Taken with the iPhone so it's a bit poo poo quality-wise, but just started a new job and of course have a new desk that I've since decorated appropriately.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Two monitors with silver edges are some older Dell's and the black one is a completely crap Dell that gets burn-in within minutes of it turning on but apparently we don't have any extras to spare.

edit: Oh and yes that's an Aeron chair, and I don't care what anyone says. For a chair that costs $1000 it sure as poo poo isn't that comfortable, and yes I've tried to adjust it to suit me better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wigbot v2.0
Oct 10, 2008

Hales

real_scud posted:

Scud's Place.

What the hell kind of job requires you to have an x360 at your side?!

I want it.