Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm expecting to get a new computer in about 6 months, and toss my old one. If I purchase a Touch now, and pay to download the 1.2 software from Apple I won't run into any problems when I switch my iTunes to this new computer, will I?

I guess what I'm wondering is if I just download iTunes again and start from scratch from a new computer, will it recognize that I already paid for/installed the newer software on my Touch?

Thanks again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Blakkout posted:

I'm expecting to get a new computer in about 6 months, and toss my old one. If I purchase a Touch now, and pay to download the 1.2 software from Apple I won't run into any problems when I switch my iTunes to this new computer, will I?

I guess what I'm wondering is if I just download iTunes again and start from scratch from a new computer, will it recognize that I already paid for/installed the newer software on my Touch?

Thanks again.

If you buy a current (2nd gen) iPod Touch, that point is moot since that upgrade is included already.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Blakkout posted:

Yes. Apple wouldn't make a dime if they limited an iPod to one single computer. Ever.

You authorize the new computer through itunes same as you would any other ipod.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Neco posted:

If you buy a current (2nd gen) iPod Touch, that point is moot since that upgrade is included already.

Good to know, but I was hoping to pick up a refurb which as of right now appears to be last-gen only.

FidgetyRat posted:

Yes. Apple wouldn't make a dime if they limited an iPod to one single computer. Ever.

You authorize the new computer through itunes same as you would any other ipod.

Thanks. Figured I'd make sure before I took the plunge.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

2.2 comin' through

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

New features in the 2.2 Software Update posted:

Autocorrect On/Off

Turn text autocorrect on and off from the Keyboard Settings.

This is considered a new feature eh? I guess we can consider ourselves lucky that Apple offers to turn off one of their great features at all.
I'd like to get rid of coverflow too which sometimes triggers unwanted and then takes several seconds to return to the normal screen.

So ... there are warnings out that the iPhone update would compromise any soft-jailbreak attempts in the near future. I wonder if the same is true for the iTouch, but the whole topic is getting kinda ignored by the modders at the moment as it seems.

Void of Infinite Nothing
Mar 26, 2001
So I'm downloading 2.2 but I'm guessing that it doesn't include the one feature that I and a lot of other people have been wanting - the ability to hide artists who only feature in compilations from the main artists list.
I have so many comps but I hate putting them on the ipod because it means I have a zillion artists listed with only one song each.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Apparently the Touch does not get Google Street View for some reason, while the iPhone does.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Void of Infinite Nothing posted:

So I'm downloading 2.2 but I'm guessing that it doesn't include the one feature that I and a lot of other people have been wanting - the ability to hide artists who only feature in compilations from the main artists list.
I have so many comps but I hate putting them on the ipod because it means I have a zillion artists listed with only one song each.

Can't you mark each album as a compilation in itunes?

I always edit the id3 tags and put the name of the track AND the artist on the TRACK tag. On the ARTIST tag I then put VARIOUS, or the name of the person who mixed the cd. You get to tidy up your Ipod and still keep the info that way.

Takes loving hours if you have a lot of music though. Use MP3TAG to speed things up a bit.

Fungah
Jul 2, 2003
Fungah! Foiled again!
I'm having an issue with my 2G touch with the latest firmware in that whenever I save an image from Safari, when I view it in photos its a tiny low res version. I haven't seen a satisfactory answer from my google searches other than people pissed off about Apple screwing them over.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro

Fungah posted:

I'm having an issue with my 2G touch with the latest firmware in that whenever I save an image from Safari, when I view it in photos its a tiny low res version. I haven't seen a satisfactory answer from my google searches other than people pissed off about Apple screwing them over.

I found this when using firmware 2.1

Thought it was just an isolated "one-off", but when I tried again I got the same crappy low res, artifacted bullshit.

I'm guessing 2.2 doesn't fix this?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So just to make this clear, those of us with the latest software cannot hack it so it accepts anything? Like say the nintendo games or third party apps?

I just picked one up this weekend and was hoping to really delve into it, loving it so far but the chance to get some cool things knowing how the internet is makes me yearn for a solution. :D

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
We're going to buy our 6 year old daughter an ipod touch for Christmas (She loves to play games on our 3g iphones), and we're debating spending $179 for a refurbed g1 from apple, or $230 for a g2.

I'd have to spend $10 on the newer firmware, so there's a $40 difference in price.

Is it worth the extra $40 to get the 2nd gen touch?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

slaphappynickname posted:

Not for a six-year-old

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

We're going to buy our 6 year old daughter an ipod touch for Christmas (She loves to play games on our 3g iphones), and we're debating spending $179 for a refurbed g1 from apple, or $230 for a g2.

I'd have to spend $10 on the newer firmware, so there's a $40 difference in price.

Yes. The internal speaker.

On a side note I think you are crazy buying a 6-year-old a Touch. We won't even get my 6-year-old niece a DS because we know what it will look like in a week, and those are much less fragile then a Touch.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

FidgetyRat posted:

Yes. The internal speaker.

On a side note I think you are crazy buying a 6-year-old a Touch. We won't even get my 6-year-old niece a DS because we know what it will look like in a week, and those are much less fragile then a Touch.

I didn't think of the speaker. That's a major selling point for the 2nd generation.

My 6 year old is very well behaved with electronics. She has a Dell Inspiron Mini and has had mp3 players for a couple of years. She's respectful of breakable things and I trust her more than my wife to not destroy a touch.

We're also going to buy a nice plastic hard case for the thing, just in case.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Anyone heard the rumor of the new touch? :v:

Supposedly it will be a cheaper but lower end version to the current itouch with a few features removed. They are probably doing a test production run of some kind in the next month or so too.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

DaNzA posted:

Supposedly it will be a cheaper but lower end version to the current itouch with a few features removed. They are probably doing a test production run of some kind in the next month or so too.

On one hand I kind of doubt it, just due to the proximity of the current touch and the components it has in it. What could they possibly remove that would drastically cut the price? They are attempting to cut into the portable gaming market, but even reducing the touch's specs a little bit will jeopardize its ability to play games. There are games now that even bring the 2G to a crawl.

The only thing they could do is make it much fatter and put cheaper (larger) parts in it, but thats totally not steve's style..

I have serious doubts about this.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Any updates on when the touch 2g might be jailbroken?

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Any updates on when the touch 2g might be jailbroken?

I'm starting to think apple finally locked it out. The touch has been out for a very long time now without any breakthroughs. Most hacks happen within a few days.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

I'm starting to think apple finally locked it out. The touch has been out for a very long time now without any breakthroughs. Most hacks happen within a few days.

i think part of the delay is that the iphone dev team focused on the iphone 3g soft unlock, which is taking a while. they have admitted not really focusing on the touch at all.

from blog.iphone-dev.org;
"We are not working on the 2nd generation iPod touch at the moment, so we cannot comment on what the the 2.2 software update may do to this specific model"

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

granpa yum posted:

i think part of the delay is that the iphone dev team focused on the iphone 3g soft unlock, which is taking a while. they have admitted not really focusing on the touch at all.

from blog.iphone-dev.org;
"We are not working on the 2nd generation iPod touch at the moment, so we cannot comment on what the the 2.2 software update may do to this specific model"

Or they just can't figure it out and are embarrassed. :)

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

Or they just can't figure it out and are embarrassed. :)

also a possibility.

Void of Infinite Nothing
Mar 26, 2001

frozenpeas posted:

Can't you mark each album as a compilation in itunes?

I always edit the id3 tags and put the name of the track AND the artist on the TRACK tag. On the ARTIST tag I then put VARIOUS, or the name of the person who mixed the cd. You get to tidy up your Ipod and still keep the info that way.

Takes loving hours if you have a lot of music though. Use MP3TAG to speed things up a bit.

Yeah, I could retag all my stuff, but the old iPods were smart enough to keep the compilations out of the artists list and in the compilations list (if you, as you say, mark the album as a comp in itunes) so whyyyyy can't my new one do it.
APPLE FUCKS US .. well, no, I'm not that mad because I love everything else about it. But still. Grr. And the fact they release firmware updates with so few proper new features also shits me.

slaphappynickname
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just a followup. I managed to score a new 2nd gen 8gb touch for $150 from ebay combining the 10% off coupon and Microsoft 25% cash back promos.

My 6 year old should be very happy, and $150 is less than the cost of a DS lite + tax + cheapass game.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Just a followup. I managed to score a new 2nd gen 8gb touch for $150 from ebay combining the 10% off coupon and Microsoft 25% cash back promos.

My 6 year old should be very happy, and $150 is less than the cost of a DS lite + tax + cheapass game.

Absolutely. Awesome deal.

(I'd still consider a hard case heh).

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

FidgetyRat posted:

Absolutely. Awesome deal.

(I'd still consider a hard case heh).

Also consider disabling safari.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm thinking of picking up a 2g Touch in the next few weeks, and am I correct in the thought that I should purchase a case for it? Any suggestions?

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Super Dude posted:

I'm thinking of picking up a 2g Touch in the next few weeks, and am I correct in the thought that I should purchase a case for it? Any suggestions?

I just got one, and yes, it seems like a case is a good idea. In my opinion, the thing is downright slippery. I went for a silicon case.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Vishass posted:

I just got one, and yes, it seems like a case is a good idea. In my opinion, the thing is downright slippery. I went for a silicon case.

Did it include a screen protector?

Genewiz
Nov 21, 2005
oh darling...

Super Dude posted:

Did it include a screen protector?

Some sellers online includes it but I've seen many touches with cheap screen protectors getting bubbles soon after and looks terrible. Ebay is a good place to look at if you are short on budget. Just make sure it is for the 2G.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

3lfangor posted:

Some sellers online includes it but I've seen many touches with cheap screen protectors getting bubbles soon after and looks terrible. Ebay is a good place to look at if you are short on budget. Just make sure it is for the 2G.

Do you have a problem with scratching your screen without a protector on it though?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I still highly recommend the bestskinsever skin for both the screen and the backing. Unless you absolutely must have a silicon case, seriously go with one of these. They work incredibly well.

This is mine after about 4 months with one. Click for larger images.

Obviously not perfect (see the Flickr notes on the photos), but I think it has done a great job considering I just throw it in my pocket or backpack in the morning.

edit: It still gets fingerprints pretty easily, but I just wipe it with my shirt most of the time and all is good.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 30, 2008

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Another vote for Bestskinever, I have a "Bodyguardz" but it's all pretty much the same anyway. Won't prevent dents, that's what hard cases are for.

Super Dude posted:

Do you have a problem with scratching your screen without a protector on it though?

The screen is made of glass and very hard to scratch. There's a YouTube video of someone going at it with a screwdriver and a razor, without effect. But as Fidgety Rat said earlier in the thread, it's much easier to clean the screen with the protector. That is, smudges wipe off easier.

Bink, your application looks much better than mine, especially around the volume controls mine is pretty shoddy.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DaNzA posted:

Seems pretty unlikely to me. For a practical reason, if they made a "cheaper Touch" it would enter the Nano price market, and they just redesigned the Nano pretty significantly.

Also, on a gut feeling, I think Apple is already somewhat annoyed that there are two sets of capabilities to support (iPhone/Touch), and wouldn't be that interested in adding a third.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

I did the same thing, got 2nd generation new 32GB touch for $235. That's just a great deal!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So what's the best way to convert video to a format the iPod Touch will play? I'm planning on getting one, but would mostly be using it to watch videos during my 1 hour round trip commute on the train every day.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I was going to order at Amazon, but they say it will take 3-5 weeks to ship. Instead, I found it at the same price at MacMall.com. The reviews seem good, but I was wondering if any of you could shed light on your experiences with them.

Bobsledboy
Jan 10, 2007

burning airlines give you so much more

Astro7x posted:

So what's the best way to convert video to a format the iPod Touch will play? I'm planning on getting one, but would mostly be using it to watch videos during my 1 hour round trip commute on the train every day.

Handbrake is probably the best option now that it supports universal input. You need VLC installed as well.
(for Mac, Linux and Windows)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Flipped
Nov 1, 2003

Seven Minutes to Midnight...

Bobsledboy posted:

Handbrake is probably the best option now that it supports universal input. You need VLC installed as well.
(for Mac, Linux and Windows)

Seconding Handbrake. It's done an exceptional job at converting whatever I threw at it, and the new input options make it a lot better than previous versions.

• Locked thread