Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Well, he actually started making progress in getting things moving again. Belkar just got his curse lifted, Roy's ressurection is getting closer, and Durkon has presumably been contacted and now knows where the rest of the party is. It's gotten exciting again because I feel like I actually care about seeing what's going to happen next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kramer
Aug 31, 2001

Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked in the head with an iron boot?

Skrewtape posted:

I must be missing something. How did that cleric know the password for the curse?

The cleric said he'd seen it a number of times over the years. Presumably, Shojo just always re-used the same passcode.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

So how does Durkon plan to get there to raise Roy?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Mylan posted:

Well, he actually started making progress in getting things moving again. Belkar just got his curse lifted, Roy's ressurection is getting closer, and Durkon has presumably been contacted and now knows where the rest of the party is. It's gotten exciting again because I feel like I actually care about seeing what's going to happen next.

It's like reading the Aes Sedai Chapters in Wheel of time so you can get to the awesome Rand/Mat/perrin battle scenes.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Nosy_G posted:

He's a high level Cleric. I'm sure he'll figure something out.

Edit: He could cast Wind Walk, for example.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 22, 2008

Scopedog
Sep 4, 2006

by The Finn
I am so looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

Although...I think that this would be an excellent point for Burlew to take a couple of weeks off. Thanksgiving is coming up, he's got his health problems, I like the idea of him "taking a few episodes to power up", as it were.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

terminal mehmet posted:

It's almost as if the author spent the time carefully putting the pieces in places to make a better story instead of jamming the main plot down our throats. Good thing no one ever complains about that.

Sorry, to be a passive-aggressive douche; but, come on, how awesome was the strip today and how less awesome would it have been if he hadn't put it together so well?

The secret to good writing is to put a lot of boring and bad stuff around it so it looks better by comparison. :eng101:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Nosy_G posted:

Durkon is with an fleet full of LG/paladins in dire need of a new home (or at least a new base of operation).
Roy's corpse is in a chaotic (and clearly evil) port town.
I don't think Durkon will have to go there alone.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's like reading the Aes Sedai Chapters in Wheel of time so you can get to the awesome Rand/Mat/perrin battle scenes.

This might not have been a good analogy.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Schwarzwald posted:

This might not have been a good analogy.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Burlew wasn't lying when he said his chronic illness isn't fatal :cry:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to see what happens with Belkar, it's been too long since his last homicide. Even though the Mark of Justice is lifted, would he still possibly have any subdual HP damage or temporary stat penalties? I could easily imagine his intestinal revolt causing some CON issues.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

shadysight posted:

The secret to good writing is to put a lot of boring and bad stuff around it so it looks better by comparison. :eng101:

I was going to respond with a Robert Jordan reference, but everyone took care of that already. :(

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT

TunaSpleen posted:

I can't wait to see what happens with Belkar, it's been too long since his last homicide. Even though the Mark of Justice is lifted, would he still possibly have any subdual HP damage or temporary stat penalties? I could easily imagine his intestinal revolt causing some CON issues.

There might be some HP trouble, but the three thieves coming through the door are a rogue/cleric/Arcane Trickster, a rogue/bard/sorceror and a rogue who needed bonuses to pick the lock.

He's going to slaughter them, and it will be glorious.

Also, the Cleric of Loki seems decently levelled and useful. I wouldn't be surprised, if he had a Restoration or at least a Lesser Restoration kicking around.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

NutShellBill posted:

There might be some HP trouble, but the three thieves coming through the door are a rogue/cleric/Arcane Trickster, a rogue/bard/sorceror and a rogue who needed bonuses to pick the lock.

He's going to slaughter them, and it will be glorious.

The rogue didnt need bonuses to pick the lock. The bulls strength and bard song were to push open the door(that was blocked)

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

NutShellBill posted:

Also, the Cleric of Loki seems decently levelled and useful. I wouldn't be surprised, if he had a Restoration or at least a Lesser Restoration kicking around.
That's if Belkar doesn't kill him right off the bat.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

terminal mehmet posted:

I was going to respond with a Robert Jordan reference, but everyone took care of that already. :(

I can't help thinking now that I stopped reading Robert Jordan because I thought he was a huge waste of time.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

shadysight posted:

I can't help thinking now that I stopped reading Robert Jordan because I thought he was a huge waste of time.

He isn't, but only if you pretend any chapter that does not have Mat or Perrin in it doesn't exist. They're the only worthwhile protagonists in the series.

I've always wanted to sit down and rewrite the Wheel of Time series A) for brevity, condensing it into three or four books, and B) getting Nynaeve hit by a truck on page three.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Its funny that Belkar is supposed to be the dumb non-roleplaying guy who just wants to kill things, yet somehow ends up with the most awesome scenes: his long, drawn-out battle with Miko, his massacring hobgoblins during the war, and hopefully the next few strips.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Wolfsheim posted:

Its funny that Belkar is supposed to be the dumb non-roleplaying guy who just wants to kill things, yet somehow ends up with the most awesome scenes: his long, drawn-out battle with Miko, his massacring hobgoblins during the war, and hopefully the next few strips.

Because deep down we all just want to buck social norms and just deal with all our problems with lethal violence. Just say gently caress this and go on a mad stabbing spree while laughing because you are free, oh so free

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have a feeling this won't end the way we are expecting. How about Belkar TALKING his way out of the situation, peacefully?

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I have a feeling this won't end the way we are expecting. How about Belkar TALKING his way out of the situation, peacefully?

:psyduck:

I hope it never comes to that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yes, but remember Belkar's conversation with Maybe Shojo. Old Belkar would just murder them.

New Belkar? He might talk them down so he can get surprise attacks in.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Zereth posted:

And then Rage. Oh god, I want to see him Rage. :)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zereth posted:

Yes, but remember Belkar's conversation with Maybe Shojo. Old Belkar would just murder them.

I don't think he's going to talk them down. He won't stab the cleric of Loki now. He's had an epiphany, but in this situation the socially accepted thing for an adventurer to do is to just start killing anything not you or your friends. He might try to minimize collateral damage and definitely try and keep Haley alive, but he's not gonna be doing much talking.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
Well, looks like it's murder. I see more smoothness than rage, though.

Nosy_G
May 6, 2007

New Comic

Pretty sure that would be classified as a "hot tag" in the Professional Wrestling business.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
One of the Rogue's swords is transparent. I want speculation as to why. Is it magical? Is it ethereal?

LuchadoresDelNixon
Feb 7, 2007

Moonbase Alpha provides a realistic simulation of life on a natural satellite

The Werle posted:

One of the Rogue's swords is transparent. I want speculation as to why. Is it magical? Is it ethereal?

...or is it just not colored in? All this and more next week, kids!

edit: throwing in a vote for "glamered".

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The Werle posted:

Permanent invisibility on the blade. Rogues might occasionally have a use for a blade no one can see, and it might give you an advantage in a fight as your enemy doesn't know where your blade ends.

Or he messed up the coloring.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

seaborgium posted:

Permanent invisibility on the blade. Rogues might occasionally have a use for a blade no one can see, and it might give you an advantage in a fight as your enemy doesn't know where your blade ends.

Or he messed up the coloring.

Its transparent both in the attack panel and the final panel where it rests on the ground, contrasted with several colored blades. This was done with intent sir!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Oh, Belkar, never change. :woop:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

The Werle posted:

Its transparent both in the attack panel and the final panel where it rests on the ground, contrasted with several colored blades. This was done with intent sir!

I missed that part. Then I'll stick with my Invisibility on the blade idea.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

It could be a ghost-touch blade too, though that's, for the most part, a pretty lovely ability for a rogue's weapon. Most incoporeal creatures are some kind of undead, which are immune to sneak attacks anyways.

Mylan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 25, 2008

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

I'm so glad Belkar is back. I didn't realize how much I missed the little bastard.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
wait was the rogue caster hiding behind a sheet?
seriously. a sheet.

bgaesop
Nov 1, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mylan posted:

It could be a ghost-touch blade too, though that's, for the most part, a pretty lovely ability for a rogue's weapon. Most incoporeal creatures are some kind of undead, which are immune to sneak attacks anyways.
Unless you take one of the dozens of ways to hit them anyways. There's at least one weapon that does it, as well as two alternate class features.

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Johnny Aztec posted:

wait was the rogue caster hiding behind a sheet?
seriously. a sheet.

Sheets mean nothing to the common housecat.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

The Werle posted:

Sheets mean nothing to the common housecat.

I know housecats are tough, but I suspect Mr. Scruffy has become Belkar's animal companion, even more powerful than a common housecat. He's following Belkar's orders in battle, and look at the wounds he left on the dwarf.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

I love that we got a "housecat fucks up wizard" joke.

Oh, these last two comics . . .drat, I love it when stuff happens in OotS. It's so good. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

that fourth panel with belkar looming up through the mist is a new contender for the best single panel in the comic