Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixel8ed
May 31, 2004
A three-legged woman is better than a headless man.
I really enjoy watching "At The End of My Leash". It may be a Canadian show though. The guy who hosts is actually a life coach, and rather than focusing on training the dog itself, the show is geared towards training the owner. Of course he does work with the dog as well. I don't know if you could find a relevant episode online, but it would be worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
My parents put Hartz One Spot on my cats. Are they going to die?

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
How trainable are cats? I don't except to be able to enroll him in an obedience class and get him to sit, lie down, and roll over with clicker training, but just how much can cats do? I've gotten my kitty Puck to jump up and curl his paws around my wrists when I give him a treat, and jump up and wrap his paws around the edge of his food bowl before I give him breakfast and dinner. But this was easy enough, as he loves to eat and would start jumping up anyway if I didn't give him his food/treat quickly enough. What else can he learn to do?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

KilGrey posted:

When my mom tethered her, she didn't go in the house. However after a week of tethering and my mom took her off, she was back to peeing in the house.

For starters, I'd say a week is too short a time for the new behavior to be learned. I wouldn't count on much less than six weeks. Housetraining involves a fairly complex chain of behaviors here so if you suspect the dog is actually retarded by her poor breeding, you may need to break it down into much more simple behavior chains than a normal dog needs.

When the dog was tethered, you said your mom tried both taking her out on a schedule, and waiting for the dog to indicate that she needed to go out? The latter will probably have more of a positive long-term effect.

Put the dog on a tether and don't take her off except when she's crated. Then, your mom should NOT set a schedule for going out. Instead, watch the dog like a hawk for signs that she needs to go out. If the dog has a behavior that "asks" to go out (barking, whining, whatever) great, but she may not. At first she may sit silently and just display discomfort behaviors, so your mom REALLY needs to watch carefully. You're trying to link the experience of going out with the experience of needing to pee. It may take 2-3 weeks.

Next, try to get the dog to ASK to go out. When it's evident that she needs to go out, then have your mom move near to the door, then wait till the dog engages in a spontaneous behavior that will be her way of asking (coming to your mom, whining, barking, scratching, rearing up to touch the doorknob, ringing a set of bells on the door, whatever you want). Reward the behavior and go out. Now you're linking three things: need to pee with asking, and asking with getting to go out.

Basically you want to continue this pattern (tethered, waiting for the dog to ask) until the dog seems to get it and regularly asks to go out. It may take another month or two. Then you can change ONE factor: drop the tether but DON'T leave the dog alone. Tether if you have to leave the room where the door is. When your mom is in that room, put up a baby cage but let the dog move around freely. Continue to watch her like a hawk until she is consistently asks to go out while not on tether. If she backslides, go back to the tether. If she doesn't, leave the dog off tether and try moving into the next room, but continue to monitor her closely.

This is the step which some dogs have trouble with: If I'm alone, how to I ask to go out? Some dogs just do not get that they have to come FIND you. You may have to set it up so that the asking behavior does not require your mom to be in the room (ringing a bell is a good one for this). Again, you don't want to give the dog complete freedom until she really seems to have learned the desired behavior, and any backsliding should be met by a return to a more controlled situation and careful reinforcement of the desired goals for that step.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

tse1618 posted:

How trainable are cats? I don't except to be able to enroll him in an obedience class and get him to sit, lie down, and roll over with clicker training, but just how much can cats do? I've gotten my kitty Puck to jump up and curl his paws around my wrists when I give him a treat, and jump up and wrap his paws around the edge of his food bowl before I give him breakfast and dinner. But this was easy enough, as he loves to eat and would start jumping up anyway if I didn't give him his food/treat quickly enough. What else can he learn to do?

Two of mine play fetch :D

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I play fetch a lot with my girls outside. Mostly it's night, and there's about a foot of snow on the ground.

Are there any balls or other toys that can be thrown with a chuck-it that either blink or make some kind of noise?

These would obviously have to be able to get smacked around a bit and drooled on a lot.

I have found some online, but I dont know of anyone that has used anything like this so I am not sure if they'll stop working after two throws or what.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
One of my coworkers recently bought a shar pei puppy from what basically amounts to a BYB. At least the breeder insisted on keeping the puppy until it was 8 weeks old, but that's about the only positive. The mom just had one puppy and the breeder said it would have to "have its eyes done," meaning that the face was so wrinkly that the dog couldn't see and the excess skin needed to be surgically removed (apparently this was the case with one of the parents as well). So before selling the puppy, the breeder told her that it would have to have the eyes done and that everyday they had to open the puppy's eyes and wipe them because they were so runny.

When the coworker got the puppy, she was worried about it because its breathing was labored and she said that that were something wrong with its eyes because even when she opened the lids to wipe them out she couldn't see the eyes. :confused: So the breeder took the puppy back and had it taken to a vet appointment. According the breeder the vet told them that the puppy was a "water baby" and didn't have a developed brain or respiratory system (and possibly no eyes?) and that they were surprised it had survived so long. They theorized that it survived because since it was the only puppy in the litter, the mom had been able to devote extra attention to it. The prognosis was not good so they had the puppy euthanized and refunded the purchase price.

So my question is, is this sort of thing a heritable defect and if so is there anything that can be done to stop the breeder from having more puppies? According to them the vet said it is just a birth defect that happens from time to time. But only having one pup in the litter and it being so sick concerned me, and I think the breeders are planning on trying for another litter.

jrr
Sep 13, 2007
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

Tojai posted:

When the coworker got the puppy, she was worried about it because its breathing was labored and she said that that were something wrong with its eyes because even when she opened the lids to wipe them out she couldn't see the eyes. :confused: So the breeder took the puppy back and had it taken to a vet appointment. According the breeder the vet told them that the puppy was a "water baby" and didn't have a developed brain or respiratory system (and possibly no eyes?) and that they were surprised it had survived so long. They theorized that it survived because since it was the only puppy in the litter, the mom had been able to devote extra attention to it. The prognosis was not good so they had the puppy euthanized and refunded the purchase price.

What the hell? How do you not notice something like that?

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I don't know, this is secondhand information from what the breeder told the buyer. And she's not exactly the smartest person I know. I was hoping maybe some of the vet people here would recognize the symptoms or know what exactly being a "water baby" would mean.

The whole no-eyes thing is really odd, I would think the breeder would notice if the puppy didn't have eyes, but according to the buyer they just thought the eyes were really runny because of irritation from the excess skin. The vet apparently did tell the breeder that the puppy was blind, but I guess that's not the same thing as the eyes missing entirely.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Well, I found this page about "water puppies" but it sounds nothing like what you describe.

Was the dog pure white by any chance, or otherwise had two parents of unusual coat color? There's a set of homozygous recessive pairings in many animals, typically linked to rare coat colors (double merle in some dog breeds, double roan in guinea pigs, double frame overo in horses), which lead to something called Lethal White. Absent or abnormally small eyes is a symptom in many of these mutated animals. But it has nothing to do with water or with the brain being partly absent. These animals typically also have an underdeveloped GI system, but many can, with supportive feeding, live for a good while (a guinea pig I knew who had this lived 3 years or so), and they mostly appear normal.

I think something like this is pretty likely, because I really doubt a pup with an undeveloped brain or respiratory system would have made it to eight weeks and still be spry enough to pass as mostly normal. Certainly the BYB was partly or mostly full of poo poo, and even if the dog actually was taken to a vet, I wouldn't be shocked if the BYB ignored/misunderstood what the actual diagnosis was and made this up instead.

If you really want to know, I'd suggest seeing if you can get the name of the vet and calling to ask what the true diagnosis was.

Tojai
Aug 31, 2008

No, You're Wrong
I know that the puppy was not a pure white and the parents don't have an unusual coat color. They are just a normal brown color, similar to the darker dog in the middle of the attached photo. I think the puppy was a lighter tan than the parents though (more like the other two pups in the picture), and they talked about how it had red points (nose and paw pads) and supposedly this was rare and made the dog more valuable. I basically know next to nothing about sharpeis though, so I hope I'm conveying accurate information.

The information does sound at least partially or even wholly made up, but I think it sucks that they are going to try for another litter after what happened with this puppy. It seems to me that there should be something that can be done if someone is knowingly breeding two animals that will produce defective offspring. I do know the vet office that the puppy was supposedly taken to, but I'm not sure if they would release that information to a third party or not.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Are there any balls or other toys that can be thrown with a chuck-it that either blink or make some kind of noise?

There are solid rubber balls that you hit and they blink. They're pretty durable, and they come in all sorts of sizes. You could probably buy them in the toystore. I don't know how safe they are to be gnawed on extensively, but they're marketed towards kids, so I imagine they're at least non-toxic and can be carried around in the mouth safely.

I bought a couple at Target the other day as stocking stuffers:

The electronics are all in the solid sphere in the center. I wouldn't trust them with a serious chewer, but for fetch I imagine they'd be great. They light up for a good long time once they're struck, too.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

Lareine posted:

My parents put Hartz One Spot on my cats. Are they going to die?
They make a one spot for cats and kittens, I'm assuming it isn't this? What exactly did she put on your cats? I would call the vet asap If this is a dog product. There have been cases of cats passing from dog flea products.
I didn't vet this site, I don't know what all is on it but here it is fwiw http://www.hartzvictims.org/
in the first story the lady gave her pet benadryl so take it with a grain of salt.

ChairmanMeow fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 22, 2008

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

tse1618 posted:

Anything, really. I trained our cat growing up to sit, beg, lay down, and play dead. Cats don't train like dogs do. They don't have that inherent desire to please you. If the cat is food motivated the job is much easier.

Just like training a dog, you start with the command. Training the cat to sit, you put the treat right over his forehead and move it back until he sits. Repeat command, praise, give treat. If your cat doesn't mind being manhandled a bit, you can also push his bum down to give him an idea of what to do. Begging is pretty natural, just hold it up until he sits up. Laying down I did have to push the cat down into the position I wanted her in (I'd sort of heavily massage/pet her back so it wasn't too annoying). To play dead, I pointed my finger like a gun and touched her shoulder, then proceeded with the pushdown until she was laying on her side. None of these things took more than about an hour. In ease of teaching, it was beg, sit, lay down, play dead. I also used completely different sounding commands; beg was "beg nice," sit was just plain "sit," lay down was "please plop," (she was getting it confused with the beg command), and play dead was just "bang."

Some other things you could probably do fairly easily would be to get the cat to spin in a circle (just move the treat towards their tail and they'll spin around), or high five (keep the treat in a closed fist until the cat touches it with a paw). Shake might be difficult as most cats don't like their feet touched, but if yours doesn't mind, go for it.

Lakshmi
Nov 28, 2006
Oh my God what the fuck is he?

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Some other things you could probably do fairly easily would be to get the cat to spin in a circle (just move the treat towards their tail and they'll spin around), or high five (keep the treat in a closed fist until the cat touches it with a paw).

My two cats are also trained to spin in a circle for treats. Junior likes doing it so much he'll spin around before dinner, and as soon as I open the treat drawer. But I can say "turn" and he'll do it on command for a treat. They also do "up", which is standing on their hind legs, but this kind of turns into a 'jump for the treat' thing.

I'd say cats are pretty trainable, as long as they want to pay attention.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

I didn't read this thread. :blush:

However, I want someone's insight. I've never had a dog or cat (although I pride myself in not being retarded). I'm a huge fan of game plans, and my game plan for life is underway, I'm moving into my very first Big Girl apartment on Tuesday. Yay! This game plan is going to last probably a year or so, but I love to have a goal.

I'm completely fully decided on adopting a greyhound from the Adopt-A-Greyhound [Atlanta] program, and I email them all the time and we try and find me a free Saturday to assist with their show-and-tell days...

I'm mostly interested in a complete list of what I need before I can bring home some lucky pup. Leashes and collars and stuff, and food bowls (on this note, I'm very interested to hear about raised bowls and bloat) and toys and a crate, yes. But my "end goal" is going to be largely my bank account. It's mentioned on these forums repeatedly that you have to have a vet fund set aside for a dog. Can anyone quote me a specific number? Like what would be a good number for my savings account to be at for me to be a "responsible pet owner"? Also, what's the average cost of care per year for a dog that size?

tl;dr: Help I want a doggy but I don't know poo poo about dollars

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
No. It was One Spot for cats but I REALLY don't trust Hartz stuff. I was just wondering if these stories are due to improper usage or if the stuff really DOES kill pets.

Doesn't seem to matter now since my cats appear to be alive and well. Still never going to use the stuff.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

CompactFanny posted:

I didn't read this thread. :blush:

However, I want someone's insight. I've never had a dog or cat (although I pride myself in not being retarded). I'm a huge fan of game plans, and my game plan for life is underway, I'm moving into my very first Big Girl apartment on Tuesday. Yay! This game plan is going to last probably a year or so, but I love to have a goal.

I'm completely fully decided on adopting a greyhound from the Adopt-A-Greyhound [Atlanta] program, and I email them all the time and we try and find me a free Saturday to assist with their show-and-tell days...

I'm mostly interested in a complete list of what I need before I can bring home some lucky pup. Leashes and collars and stuff, and food bowls (on this note, I'm very interested to hear about raised bowls and bloat) and toys and a crate, yes. But my "end goal" is going to be largely my bank account. It's mentioned on these forums repeatedly that you have to have a vet fund set aside for a dog. Can anyone quote me a specific number? Like what would be a good number for my savings account to be at for me to be a "responsible pet owner"? Also, what's the average cost of care per year for a dog that size?

tl;dr: Help I want a doggy but I don't know poo poo about dollars

Greys are freaking awesome, and surprisingly low-maintenance dogs. Dogs don't actually need that much stuff, really. The majority of the stuff my dogs get would all be in the "optional" category. Necessities: crate, 2 bowls, martingale collar, leash are the basics. That'll run you about $200 or so. Greyhound-sized crates are expensive. On an ongoing basis, you'll need a high-quality food (~$40/month), heartworm meds(~$15/month), flea meds(~$15/month), and chews(~$15+/month). The start-up costs of getting a dog are practically negligible compared to what it costs to actually have a dog.

One of the upsides to adopting from the Greyhound rescues is that the dogs come fully vetted, so you're not on the hook for much in the way of vet bills upfront. You standard yearly checkup varies a lot from city to city, but you can bet on it being about $150 with all the various tests and vaccines. Whether you have a veterinary fund or you're just vigilant about making sure you have room on your credit cards for emergencies is really up to you, but an E-vet visit will start at $200 and gets pricey fast. Getting a pet is definitely something you want to do after you've got your finances in line. I'd recommend that you have $1500+ buffer in case of an emergency in addition to the costs of actually getting the dog (supplies + pet deposit for your apt) and getting everything they'll need.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

That is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

BywaterBetsy
Jan 20, 2008
How do you guys feel about the creation of silken windhounds? They seem to have their poo poo together with health testing and breed standards, but I don't really know much about this kinda stuff.

I'm in love with the borzoi but it seems like the silken would fit into my life after graduation a little easier.

I think someone snuck a pig into this litter..

BywaterBetsy fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 23, 2008

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

BywaterBetsy posted:

How do you guys feel about the creation of silken windhounds? They seem to have their poo poo together with health testing and breed standards, but I don't really know much about this kinda stuff.

I'm in love with the borzoi but it seems like the silken would fit into my life after graduation a little easier.

I think someone snuck a pig into this litter..

I've done a good bit of research on this breed, and they were created (responsibly, in my opinion) by Borzoi breeders who wanted a small to medium sized, coated sighthound. I've met a number of these dogs in person, and they're beautiful. They're pretty popular with people who are already involved with sighthounds through lure coursing and whatnot. Sach and I have chatted about this breed before, and he can probably tell you more than I can about the breeders themselves. I do know that full registration with the ISWS is strictly controlled, dogs are DNA tested, and that the club is working towards AKC recognition for the breed. I'm still on the fence about a retired Grey vs. a Silken Windhound for our next dog, but its definitely a neat breed.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
This might warrant it's own thread, but I've already made one in the past (my qualifications have changed, at least a bit) and I also hate to make yet another "hurhur help me choose a breed" thread, although I always enjoy reading them.

Here's what I'm looking for:

Size: Preferably under 60 lbs or so. I'm not crazy about tiny dogs (under 20 lbs) but if everything else fit, then I'd be open to the idea.

Exercise Requirements: My perfect dog would be tired out by a good hour or so of playing in the yard/house because I'm a lazy rear end in a top hat who shuns physical activity. However, I have a Brittany (albeit a rather lazy one) who needs more than that, so a dog that can be worn out with a daily walk, trip to the dog park, and plenty of indoor play is ideal.

Grooming/Shedding: Shedding doesn't bother me. I work at a doggy daycare and end up covered with fur every day anyway, so more at home is hardly an issue. I'm a-ok with vacuuming frequently during shedding season. I'm not particularly concerned about grooming requirements, either. All other things considered, I'd take a low maintenance dog over a high one but it's not a dealbreaker by any means.

Sociability: I don't mind a dog that is reserved with strangers, but I want him/her to be very affectionate and friendly with me. There's nothing better than having my boy come over and rest his chin on my lap, looking at me expectantly for snuggles. :3: My dogs are a major part of my life and spending time with them takes priority over pretty much everything but work and sleep.

Trainability: I want a dog that is eager to please. I have great respect for dogs like Akitas, but they are not for me by any stretch of the mind. It's fine if the dog is slow to learn, as long as they want to learn. Obedience is more important to me than intelligence. I would prefer a dog that sits when I ask him to than one who can solve a complex puzzle (and get into cabinets, open doors, etc etc... no border collies for me, thanks!)

Other Crap: The pup will be raised in a house with a yard, but will eventually live in an apartment. I'd like to have a cat someday, so I'd probably shy away from breeds with high prey drive, but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker. I'd rather have a good dog than a dog and a cat. :) If there's anything I've missed, let me know and I'll be happy to answer. I'm not really interested in breeds with lots of health problems. I love pugs, but I don't think it's ethical to breed such extreme traits, and even if I went through a rescue, I'm intimidated by the extra vet bills.

I have several breeds I'm considering, but I'd like to see what PI has to say.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

Is there any reason why you aren't just considering a generic shelter lab mix?

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
I'm at least somewhat interested in showing in the future (distant future - not with my next dog), but it's not something I'm dead set on and getting a shelter dog is certainly an option.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Perhaps a pug?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Noctone posted:

Perhaps a pug?

I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not:

Umilele posted:

I'm not really interested in breeds with lots of health problems. I love pugs, but I don't think it's ethical to breed such extreme traits, and even if I went through a rescue, I'm intimidated by the extra vet bills.

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

I like gin, and I don't like hugs.
I have a brand new orange kitty, and I think she may have a urinary infection? I use that pearls litter brand and I've noticed a few crystals that are red. I am calling for the vet in the AM but I was just wondering if there's anything else that this could be, and also some recommendations for food and care etc. of a kitty UTI.

Don't they prescribe science diet? Isn't science diet bad?

oops: meant to add a picture so she won't explode.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

aunt moneybags fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 24, 2008

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

aunt moneybags posted:

I have a brand new orange kitty, and I think she may have a urinary infection? I use that pearls litter brand and I've noticed a few crystals that are red. I am calling for the vet in the AM but I was just wondering if there's anything else that this could be, and also some recommendations for food and care etc. of a kitty UTI.

Don't they prescribe science diet? Isn't science diet bad?

A prescription food has necessary ingredients/medicines that override any "quality" foods. For your run-of-the-mill healthy cat, premium food is where its at. For a kitty with a problem, use prescription food if your vet prescribes it.

Also, stress can cause a little blood in the litterbox. We had a houseguest for a week, and my kitten responded with a bloody butt (at least, that was the vet's best guess). Still, go see your vet to be sure.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Umilele posted:

I have several breeds I'm considering, but I'd like to see what PI has to say.

I just gave this advice to someone in another thread and realized it would work well with you too. But Whippets are awesome indoor dogs. They are around 20-25 pounds and look like miniature Greyhounds. Their natural state indoors seems to be sleeping or laying on the couch trying to sleep so they would fit in well with your aversion to physical activity. You can have contests to see who can out lazy each other. While lazy bums inside they come alive when you go outside and can run like hell. You wont be able to get a cat though due to a very high prey drive to chase down and kill anything fuzzy and moving (alive or not). They are very affectionate and love to snuggle up to you in bed and become very attached to their owners while still being okay friendly to visitors. They don't shed much due to a super short coat.

The American Whippet Club has good info about finding a reputable breeder as well as links to Whippet rescue groups where you can adopt. They have this to say on the breed:

The American Whippet Club posted:

Whippets are generally quiet and gentle dogs in the house, content to spend much of the day sleeping on the couch. They are not generally aggressive with other animals, and although especially attached to their owners, they are friendly to visitors. They are not prone to snapping, so they are good with young children. They may or may not bark when strangers arrive, and are not suited to be guard dogs due to their trusting and unsuspicious nature. Outside, however, particularly when they are racing or lure coursing, they demonstrate their superb athletic skills and will pursue their "quarry" (even when it is an artificial lure) with the heart of a lion. To see these dogs in full stride is breathtaking!

Please note that many whippets do seem to suffer from "Excessive Greeting Disorder" characterized by wild displays of exuberance when their owners return from long absences of 10 minutes or more. This can be a problem with very young children in the house as they may easily be knocked over.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Hmm - I hadn't considered Whippets. I've only ever known one and he was pretty neurotic, and that's putting it nicely, though I'm still not convinced that he's actually a Whippet and not a poorly bred IG. I like what the club website has to say about them, though. I'm going to a few shows in February and will be sure to find out when the Whippets are showing.

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

Meow Cadet posted:

A prescription food has necessary ingredients/medicines that override any "quality" foods. For your run-of-the-mill healthy cat, premium food is where its at. For a kitty with a problem, use prescription food if your vet prescribes it.

Also, stress can cause a little blood in the litterbox. We had a houseguest for a week, and my kitten responded with a bloody butt (at least, that was the vet's best guess). Still, go see your vet to be sure.

Great, thanks. She'll be going in later this week.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

aunt moneybags posted:

Great, thanks. She'll be going in later this week.

Wait a second, later this week??? If your cat has a UTI, she is most likely in some serious pain. Call your vet back & get an appointment for today. If she has an infection, she'll be put on antibiotics & might get a low-dose pain killer to ease the "oh my god it burns all the time" feeling. They will not necessarily put her on a prescription food unless she continues to develop infections.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

GoreJess posted:

Call your vet back & get an appointment for today.

Do this. One of my kitties has had repeated infections the last few months. His latest one I noticed when he peed on some of my clothes. I immediately booked him an appointment for the next morning, and even by then the vet said his temperature was alarmingly high and he must have been very uncomfortable.

Poor baby is on prescription food now, and unfortunately for my bank balance that means the rest of my free-fed kitties are also eating the same stuff.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

tse1618 posted:

My cats used to bite as kittens. I didn't like that, so when they did I would hold on to their paws. They would keep biting, and eventually they would lick. When they lick, I would let them go. Now three years later, they have never bitten again, and if they want you to let them go or stop playing with them, they will lick you. My vet was impressed, but these just shows me that you can train them to do anything eventually.

My question, is it ok to give cats turkey for thanksgiving?

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

LorneReams posted:

My question, is it ok to give cats turkey for thanksgiving?

I certainly hope so; my bunch get roast chicken or turkey as a treat every week :D

Obviously make sure it isn't covered in a sauce that might make them sick, but plain old turkey is fine.

aunt moneybags
Jun 11, 2006

GoreJess posted:

Wait a second, later this week??? If your cat has a UTI, she is most likely in some serious pain. Call your vet back & get an appointment for today. If she has an infection, she'll be put on antibiotics & might get a low-dose pain killer to ease the "oh my god it burns all the time" feeling. They will not necessarily put her on a prescription food unless she continues to develop infections.

I called back and sounded distraught. They said they'd try to fit me in today. If not, I'm going tomorrow AM.

They say they may have to keep her for the day so she has some pee in her bladder but that's alright. She's gonna be so pissed at me tomorrow.

Helanna
Feb 1, 2007

aunt moneybags posted:

They say they may have to keep her for the day so she has some pee in her bladder but that's alright. She's gonna be so pissed at me tomorrow.

If you prefer not to do that, there's a special type of cat litter that doesn't absorb pee that your vet should have. That's what my vet gave me, and I just let the cat use that special litter, then collected the pee into a test tube for the laboratory to do their testing on it :)

My cat didn't like being shut in one room for a while (to stop the other cats peeing the special litter) but it was less stressful for the neurotic furball than leaving him at the vets.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Are ramshorn snails murderous?

I added 8 neon tetras to my fish tank 2 weeks ago or so, and now I am down to 5. On the first night I lost one, and removed to body. No other bodies have been found, until just now. There is a "hunk" of tetra covered in snails where I dropped an algae wafer last night. I imagine in my head the innocent little tetra swimming down for a nibble, and the murderous snails leaping to devour it.

Does this happen? Or are the snails just an innocent cleanup crew?

Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.
I think my 6 year old cat has cavities. I've never heard of any sort of dental care for cats, although (in retrospect) it makes sense. What should be my next move to treat any dental problems she may have, and prevent future ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Emasculatrix posted:

I think my 6 year old cat has cavities. I've never heard of any sort of dental care for cats, although (in retrospect) it makes sense. What should be my next move to treat any dental problems she may have, and prevent future ones?

Make an appointment with the vet. If she has any bad teeth they will pull them. There are places that just do dental work for animals however I'm not sure how expensive they are compared to the vet or what else they do. Your vet would be able to refer you to one in your area but chances are they'll be able to take care of your kitty. To prevent future cavities make sure you have him on good food, don't feed him processed people food and if he'll let you, brush his teeth.