Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Carbohydrates posted:

So while I'm waiting for that amp to get here, I got it a friend to play with. I played a LOT of strats until I found one I really liked. Nothing in Guitar Center did it for me, but I found this Fender "Vintage '57" strat in A# Music in Renton. I like it considerably more than even the EJ strat, which is based on this. The one downside is it only has a 3-way switch, but A# said they'll swap it for me when I take it in for a (free) setup.

Are you made of money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

IanTheM posted:

Are you made of money?
To get the amp and guitar, I sold a G&L Comanche and Gibson Les Pauls Special and Junior. I don't buy stuff unless I sold something.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
After canceling my ever delayed order for a Crate v18 I found a deal on an Epiphone valve standard. My first venture into tube sound and I can't wait until it gets here. Don't have any pics yet, but this stock photo keeps me drooling in the meantime; love that retro look. (I know that's a special, but they look the same, damnit)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adjectivist Philosophy fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 22, 2008

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Schatten posted:

Indeed it is. It first struck me as "holy cow!" on the 5.98 EP when Jason Newstead was just getting into Metallica recording. Incredible tone, and I wish I could get my mits on one. The prices are just too far up there at the moment. Maybe with the economy going down the shitter, I'll be able to pick up a deal!
He didn't start using Wals until after ...And Justice For All was recorded, so on that EP you're not hearing one. Plus the tone doesn't even sound like a Wal, the intro for "Crash Course in Brain Surgery" sounds more like a Precision.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?

Carbohydrates posted:

So while I'm waiting for that amp to get here, I got it a friend to play with. I played a LOT of strats until I found one I really liked. Nothing in Guitar Center did it for me, but I found this Fender "Vintage '57" strat in A# Music in Renton. I like it considerably more than even the EJ strat, which is based on this. The one downside is it only has a 3-way switch, but A# said they'll swap it for me when I take it in for a (free) setup.

Aww, man I LOVE transparent white. Mary Kay knew what was up.

And yes, you are made of money, get over it Mr. "them LP historics are dropping in price!"

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Traffic Reporter posted:

After canceling my ever delayed order for a Crate v18 I found a deal on an Epiphone valve standard. My first venture into tube sound and I can't wait until it gets here. Don't have any pics yet, but this stock photo keeps me drooling in the meantime; love that retro look. (I know that's a special, but they look the same, damnit)

I was in the same place you were; I ordered one of the crate tube amps that were massively on sale; it got delayed and then MusiciansFriend just cancelled it for me. Now I'm waiting for my next paycheck to clear and then I'll pick up one of the Blackheart 15/7w combos.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Susano-maku da! posted:

And yes, you are made of money, get over it Mr. "them LP historics are dropping in price!"
Well they are, e-stalker. :colbert:

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Me jammin' on the new mesa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOz3Svniptc

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Carbohydrates posted:

:fap: I love the Mary Kaye paint job.

Halo
Sep 19, 2002

by vyelkin

Agreed posted:

:love:

JCM900s are one of my favorite Marshalls, sort of a cross between the 8100 and the JCM800. Please, I implore you, post some clips. I'd like to hear more of that "raw" so that I can dial in my own virtual JCM900 :)

https://download.yousendit.com/Q01IZXR6QzdoMlUwTVE9PQ

Excuse the crappy playing and string buzz. I was just tooling around and my guitar truss is kinda screwy. Anyway this comes out dorect from the cab into the computer for recording so there's no room sound.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

metalhead posted:

Me jammin' on the new mesa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOz3Svniptc

Stop making me want to play my hosed up guitar :smith:

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.
I know the overall hatred for Deans has already been discussed, but my girlfriend just surprised me with this as an early Christmas present.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Decerto posted:

I know the overall hatred for Deans has already been discussed, but my girlfriend just surprised me with this as an early Christmas present.

Break up with her.

Just kidding, I wish people would buy me guitars.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Decerto posted:

If you've got a woman who buys you guitars, you should probably marry her.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I've always messed with looping but never bit the bullet and bought something decent for it. This week I sold my dust collecting Wii and used the cash to grab an EHX 2880 with footpedal.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

TheDingo posted:

I've always messed with looping but never bit the bullet and bought something decent for it. This week I sold my dust collecting Wii and used the cash to grab an EHX 2880 with footpedal.

Well friend, you got yourself a looper and then some.

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms
I sold my old amp last week and bought a new amp! Orange Crush 30R, which gives me the sound that I was looking for! :) :britain:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Decerto posted:

Sever.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

FreakingNeo posted:

I sold my old amp last week and bought a new amp! Orange Crush 30R, which gives me the sound that I was looking for! :) :britain:

Sup, Crush 30R Buddy? :c00l::hf::c00l:

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

I took off the pickguard. I got a ridiculous deal on it and they threw in an Epiphone Les Paul Junior (piece of crap) for $30.

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
Good move on taking off the pickguard. It just doesnt look right against that super dark finish.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Does anyone have a Spider Valve?

I want an amp that fits the following criteria:

* Fendery clean channel I can push a little bit
* Heavy as hell crunch channel
* 12"
* Tube
* Under $600

Every time I go to GC to try amps the SV is the one that pops out. It's versatile, it's inexpensive, it has a Vintage30, and the effects aren't bad, either. I'm not even really a guitar player, just a bass player that happens to be able to play guitar, and I think it would fit my needs really well.

For under $600 I could get a SV112 and the FBV shortboard off ebay. Is there anything else out there that compares?

poo poo, even the boutique snobs at thegearpage.net dig the SV.

metalhead
Sep 13, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

warwick5s posted:

Does anyone have a Spider Valve?

I want an amp that fits the following criteria:

* Fendery clean channel I can push a little bit
* Heavy as hell crunch channel
* 12"
* Tube
* Under $600

Every time I go to GC to try amps the SV is the one that pops out. It's versatile, it's inexpensive, it has a Vintage30, and the effects aren't bad, either. I'm not even really a guitar player, just a bass player that happens to be able to play guitar, and I think it would fit my needs really well.

For under $600 I could get a SV112 and the FBV shortboard off ebay. Is there anything else out there that compares?

poo poo, even the boutique snobs at thegearpage.net dig the SV.

I messed around with one at GC, and while yes, they're versatile, I didn't really find one sound that the amp did really well, even after half an hour of tweaking the knobs. It just sounded mediocre all around. I then plugged in to a 6505+ right next to the SV, turned all the knobs to 12oclock, and was instantly blown away by the ridiculous rhythm channel.

I'd go with a more standard tube amp-maybe a 5150 combo or something. You can find them for under $700 these days.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I bought a Boss DS-1 today, not going to post a picture because it's popular-as-hell and everyone knows what they look like.

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.

metalhead posted:

I messed around with one at GC, and while yes, they're versatile, I didn't really find one sound that the amp did really well, even after half an hour of tweaking the knobs. It just sounded mediocre all around. I then plugged in to a 6505+ right next to the SV, turned all the knobs to 12oclock, and was instantly blown away by the ridiculous rhythm channel.

I'd go with a more standard tube amp-maybe a 5150 combo or something. You can find them for under $700 these days.

I noticed the exact same thing. That's why I ended up going with my Randall RM100 combo. You can get the 50 watt combos used for a really nice price. They're ~$1,000 new, so you can probably find them for $500 or less used, especially if you get it without modules.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I bought a Boss DS-1 today, not going to post a picture because it's popular-as-hell and everyone knows what they look like.

That thing is just begging to be modded, and post mod it is night and day.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Not much into that...would probably gently caress it up...but I'm in the process of finding a higher paying job, which should open up equipment horizons I never fathomed before...so who knows?

Decerto
Aug 19, 2002

Sup.
Just decided to order one of these today to lay down drum tracks for myself. I know it's the older model, but it'll do. Especially for the $120 price tag.

I figure I'll pair it with EZDrummer and the DFH to get some gorgeous sounding tracks.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

GrAviTy84 posted:

I find my DS1 to be just "OK". It could do with more bottom end and less grit. I generally keep the settings like this:

Tone : 11 o' clock
Level : 11 o' clock ( point at the l in level )
Dist : 9 o' clock

Any suggestions on a mod?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I've been thinking of getting a Rocktron Gainiac and running it into the Line In section on my JC-120. I have no idea if it would work, but it'd be fun to try.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Zakalwe posted:

I find my DS1 to be just "OK". It could do with more bottom end and less grit. I generally keep the settings like this:

Tone : 11 o' clock
Level : 11 o' clock ( point at the l in level )
Dist : 9 o' clock

Any suggestions on a mod?

I played around with mine all night last night on this setting, and it sounded fine to me...

Tone: 1 o' clock
Level: 11 o' clock
Dist: All the way (6 o' clock?)

Also, having the distortion on and my amp's overdrive at the same time made this weird squarbley sound. Fine with me, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Decerto posted:

I like Dean V's, screw everybody.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Agreed posted:

I like Dean V's, screw everybody.

Aside from the novelty of the body being the same as the headstock with the V, the headstock is a goddamn disgrace to human aesthetics.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Welp, never thought I would ever post this in here:

Click here for the full 980x524 image.

Click here for the full 980x415 image.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

ZombiePeanut posted:

Aside from the novelty of the body being the same as the headstock with the V, the headstock is a goddamn disgrace to human aesthetics.

Your loving mom is a disgrace to human aesthetics, I'm coming out of the closet as a Dean headstock lover. That's right, you fascists, I'm a fan of Dean headstocks. I wish I had one on my dick. You heard me, jerk.

Although to be honest I only really like the headstock on their custom models, it kind of looks like an Ibanez :3:

RTM
May 21, 2001

hewwo!
Blackheart Little Giant heads are on sale at ZZounds for $129!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BLABH5H

Just ordered one, can't wait for it to come in. I've got an old homemade speaker cab with a 12" Jensen Goldback in it that I'll be running it through.

Come to think of it, I've also got a 15" bass cab. Anyone ever try running a bass through one of these heads?

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
This is how I picture you now.
(slightly NSFW)
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o479/grapesofbaath/agreed.jpg

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

Stux posted:

Welp, never thought I would ever post this in here:

Click here for the full 980x524 image.

Click here for the full 980x415 image.

Holy poo poo man, of all of the people who I'd never think who be making this purchase. What brings this?

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Costello Jello posted:

This is how I picture you now.
(slightly NSFW)
http://i343.photobucket.com/albums/o479/grapesofbaath/agreed.jpg

Replace the guns and ammo boxes with Dano stompboxes and I think you've got it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Ben and Stew posted:

Holy poo poo man, of all of the people who I'd never think who be making this purchase. What brings this?

I really REALLY REALLY like Logic 8 :smith: